SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Redirect: Another way to change cognitive framing

Altostrata

• Administrator

Change the story you tell yourself about who you are, and change your life. A social psychologist explains how you can learn to nurture yourself and reduce stress.

[

'Redirect': A New Way to Think About Psychological Change
By Maria Popova Sep 9 2011 The Atlantic

....In Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change, social psychologist Timothy Wilson reveals insights from three decades of empirical evidence indicating that what is true of culture is also true of individuals: Our experience of the world is shaped by our interpretations of it, the stories we tell ourselves, and these stories can often become so distorted and destructive that they completely hinder our ability to live balanced, purposeful, happy lives, so the key to personal transformation is story transformation.

Let's pause here and observe that this seems pretty commonsensical. What's more, most of us believe that our character and circumstances are so unique that the universal human psychological flaws, biases, and shortcomings we are keenly aware of simply don't befall us personally. Yet, in one domain of life or another, we find ourselves stuck in thought patterns and behavioral cycles we lack the tools to escape. This, Wilson demonstrates, is a pathological storytelling problem based on the stories we've led ourselves to believe and the behaviors that stem from them.

Of course, this isn't news to anyone who has ever dabbled in cognitive-behavioral therapy -- an entire branch of psychotherapy designed to address precisely that. But Wilson argues that there's a new way to redirect people's personal interpretations, one that doesn't require one-on-one sessions and can address a wide array of personal and social problems, from severe trauma to everyday distress.

This new approach is based on the work of Kurt Lewin, who helped found the field of social psychology in the 1930s and 40s, and is rooted in three specific psychological interventions: story-editing -- a set of techniques designed to reshape people's narratives about themselves and the world in a way that results in lasting behavioral change....; story-prompting -- redirecting people down a particular narrative path with subtle prompts; and do good, be good -- an approach that dates back to Aristotle, premised on changing people's behavior first, which in turn changes their self-perception of the kind of person they are based on the kinds of things they do. Wilson shows how these story-editing techniques have been used to make people happier, improve parenting, solve adolescent behavioral problems, and even reduce the racial achievement gap in schools.

http://www.theatlantic.com/life/archive/2011/09/redirect-a-new-way-to-think-about-psychological-change/244822/ Edited by ChessieCat
added hyperlink to video

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This looks interesting. Thanks.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy