SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

WrongRyan - Struggling to get off Lyrica after short use

wrongryan

---My full background, you can skip this if you aren't interested ---

I just got done doing a valium taper about 4 months ago, which went fine, very painless.  I was only on valium a short time and at low dose.  

I first took Lyrica for carpal tunnel pain after surgery.  I've since found out that this was an odd thing for him to prescribe, but that office has a sign that says they don't prescribe narcotics, so maybe they don't consider lyrica a narcotic.  It worked great for the pain, the doctor told me I could take 2 a day and I confess I took 3 or 4 300mg tablets a day for 5 days(this was stupid, I know). I stopped taking them and mostly felt fine although I had weird spasms for the next few weeks. 

About a month and a half later we had moved to another town far away from where my doctor and dentist are.  I took some of the leftover Lyrica for a toothache because I had no doctor or dentist to call and no insurance yet.  It actually worked pretty well for the toothache pain too.  I took about 600-900mg per day for 4 or maybe 5 days.  The pain went away and didn't need the lyrica anymore.  I woke the next day in the worst panic attack I'd ever had.  I immediately thought of the lyrica and went and popped 2 tablets.  After it kicked in I slept for another 4 hours.  I know taking the lyrica for something it wasn't prescribed for was an incredibly stupid thing to do, but I honestly didn't think I could get addicted to lyrica. Why would a doctor prescribe it to someone trying to quit drugs?

I still can't believe I was  addicted to them after taking them for 5 days, but it's true.  I tried to taper quickly with what I had left which was not very many.  I reduced in half and felt fine for a couple days and it hit me again like a ton of bricks one morning.  That panic attack was so bad and lasted 6 hours and even taking 150mg of lyrica barely touched it, I'm getting a panic attack just thinking about it.  I thought about suicide constantly, if I had a gun I wouldn't be posting here right now.  The next morning I had to get more lyrica no matter what.  I went to the ER and explained it and they seemed surprised but they gave me a new script.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm currently struggling to get stable on Lyrica.  I'm trying to find the lowest dose I can get through the day on, but that's been elusive and I'm getting scared that I wont be stable until I get off this.  I'm also paying cash for lyrica now, so I can't be on it forever, even though I know I have a long road ahead.

I tried taking 300mg in the am and 150mg at night, and I made it through 2 days, but I had a 2 hour panic attack the second day until the night dose kicked in.  I decided to up the dose to 540mg/day divided into 3 doses taken roughly 8 hours apart.  I'm making it through the days, but just barely.  I'm either panicking, puking and twitching, or I'm sleeping and fatigued. I need the get back to functional pretty soon.  

I think I'm going to bump up to 600mg because I'm not doing so hot on 540mg; I've had the withdrawals kick in hard every day, although it does get a little softer each day.  I also have low grade symptoms most of the day, headache that comes and goes, confusion, muscle tension, GI issues, fever.

I'm guess I'm looking for advice on whether I should bump up or not, and some guidance on where to go from here.  I just read Schuyler's thread in it's entirety and it was inspirational. If you google "lyrica taper" you get lots of scary stories of people who can't quit this drug, people talking about 4 weeks of withdrawal.  Those people must be tougher than me because I can't take the withdrawals from this stuff for any amount of time.  I'm not trying to be dramatic, but I CANNOT go through 4 weeks of what I feel when the w/d's kick in.  I'm so worried about how I'll get through this, those w/d's are so scary and half the time I'm too discombobulated to do anything about it.

Sorry for the huge message and I appreciate any response.

wrongRyan

6/1/14 to 6/5/14 - 5 day use of lyrica for carpal tunnel post surgery pain 900-1200mg per day

~1/1/15 to 3/10/15 Valium taper from 20mg to 0mg easy

4/18/15-4/23 lyrica for tooth pain 600-900mg

5/1/16 Struggling to get stable on 675mg

5/6/16 600mg false start

5/8/16 675mg reinstated at 675mg, moved too quick

---

Also take:

450mg Trileptal for Bipolar

50mg Seroquel nightly for bipolar/sleep

Also been trying Magnesium 250mg/day

Hello Ryan, I withdrew also from Lyrica, currently 9 months off, it is still tough, but yes, it is the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life. I hope it can be done. And I also hope that we will heal.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hello Ryan, I withdrew also from Lyrica, currently 9 months off, it is still tough, but yes, it is the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life. I hope it can be done. And I also hope that we will heal.

Thank you for your response.  I hope we will heal as well.  You're still having symptoms 9 months later?  I'm so sorry, that must be terrible.

They should put the Pfizer executives in jail for marketing this drug.  They had to have known that Lyrica caused withdrawal and addiction based on Gabapentin.  Besides that, it must have come up in the clinical trials when people left the study.  I only took the drug for a short time and I'm fully addicted, and I'm not the only one.  I'm reading over and over about people getting terrible withdrawals from this drug.  On another forum someone had full blown withdrawal from taking it for only 4 days!

6/1/14 to 6/5/14 - 5 day use of lyrica for carpal tunnel post surgery pain 900-1200mg per day

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to SA.  It's good that you have found this site.  There members are supportive and there is lots of information here.  These links might help.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Lyrica (pregabalin)

Please ask any questions here in your Intro/Update topic.  You can also use it to journal your progress.

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature  Please include ALL drugs, dates and doses so that we have the full history and are able to offer suggestions based on your individual situation.  Please remember to update your signature as you change doses so it remains current and can be seen at a glance.  Thank you.

These helped me to understand why slow tapering is recommended:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

If you click FOLLOW (top right) you will be notified when someone responds.  Someone with more knowledgeable about Lyrica should be along soon and be able to suggest something in answer to your question about dosage.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi WrongRyan, welcome to SA.  Sadly doctors don't have a clue about these drugs and I feel for you being in this position after such a short time on them. 

It would help us if you can fill out your signature for us with approximate dates and doses of all drugs taken recently, including the valium taper any other drugs or supplements you may be taking ( because some interact with each other) . When we know your details we will be better able to advise you. Is it recently that you quit lyrica after the carpal tunnel?   

I see Chessiecat posted as I was typing, she has included a link to the topic on how to fill out your signature. 

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hello Ryan,

I dont want to scare you but for me it is more than 9 months of withdrawal as after my first c/t my parents persuaded me to start the drug again, which I tapered then second time over 8 months (so plus 9 months off it is already 17 months). But I am sure for you it wouldnot take so long time, as you took it only for 4 days. It is ridiculous how dangerous this "med" is. I am still thinking if I should sue either doctors or pharma, but I am still symptomatic and I would be afraid now to talk by the court about my symptoms, you never know if they would understand you, or make you more harm. But I think our brains are very resilient, in other case the people would not survive sometimes very rough conditions, I think they will manage it, we have to give them only time, be positive about the outcome and what helps also are these non drug techniques how to handle the anxiety and other symptoms.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

I dont want to scare you but for me it is more than 9 months of withdrawal as after my first c/t my parents persuaded me to start the drug again, which I tapered then second time over 8 months (so plus 9 months off it is already 17 months). But I am sure for you it wouldnot take so long time, as you took it only for 4 days. It is ridiculous how dangerous this "med" is.

I'm already scared, I've gone CT from Fentanyl and it doesn't even compare to how the w/ds from Lyrica feel to me.  I really hope I can get stable and taper really slow and avoid feeling that way again.  The first time I tried to taper and dropped 50% I felt so bad mentally and physically it was unbelievable, and that wasn't even CT!  

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

Hi WrongRyan, welcome to SA.  Sadly doctors don't have a clue about these drugs and I feel for you being in this position after such a short time on them. 

It would help us if you can fill out your signature for us with approximate dates and doses of all drugs taken recently, including the valium taper any other drugs or supplements you may be taking ( because some interact with each other) . When we know your details we will be better able to advise you. 

Done.

Is it recently that you quit lyrica after the carpal tunnel?   

No, I stopped the lyrica c/t after the carpal tunnel surgery with few problems.  It's this recent use, which was for tooth pain, that caused the problems.  This I acknowledge was stupid but I did this without advice from my doctor.  I figured the hospital would only give me opiate painkillers which I didn't want to take because of my past addiction history.  

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

Hi Wrongryan,

I feel your pain. I really do.  If you read my signature, you will see that this tapering and w/d is going to be a very, very slow process for me and I may not even live long enough to get off all my drugs as I am 61.  My rational goal right now is a term I learned here is harm reduction, which doesn't really apply to you because you have every reason to believe that you can do this.

When I read your signature, I was struck by the fact that you tapered off 20 mg. of valium in just 2 1/2 months.  That is a very rapid taper.  You took the lyrica less than a month later.  I could be wrong, but I am wondering if the valium w/d kicked in right when you took the Lyrica and your brain just said, "No more, I can't take this any more."  Perhaps a benzo coach could step in here?  I also am trileptal and it is a very strong drug as well.  After tapering 75 mg. I had to do a hold for a couple months and am now tapering at just 1% to get stable.  Now, please know that I know I am the exception to the rule...everyone is different, but the point is there could be a lot of different things going on here, and it isn't just the Lyrica.

I do not have recommendations on what to do as far as reinstatement of Lyrica dosing; I will leave that to the expertise of the moderators.  I will tell you one thing that I am just starting to do that is helping me already.  When you settle on a dose, and start to taper, keep a journal or log of your dose each day, and what your symptoms are that day.  I have found that there is definitely a pattern for me, and sometimes just knowing what to expect, and then letting it happen, knowing that perhaps even the next day it will be better, really helps.  Sure, I don't really want to know when the worst symptoms will hit, but looking back and seeing a pattern is reassuring that this too shall pass.

BTW, I was prescribed a low dose of Lyrica for back pain a decade ago.  A very low dose had me reeling and having an "out of body experience" in 2 days.  I quit it right then. 

We are all so different.  I envy your ability to get off the valium and stay off.  Now you just have to find Lyrica dosing that will enable you to do the same, and you can.

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  • currently 2024 still on 98 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Ryan, you really need to take the same dose, every day. You have been trying different doses and I understand that you have been trying to find the right dose, but you won't stabilise while changing doses.  Choose a dose, maybe the one you felt most stable on, and stick with it for a few weeks to stabilise. 

I wouldn't go too high because there will likely be some interactions between your drugs. You could go to drugs.com and put all your drugs into the interactions checker, including the magnesium. Then copy and paste the results here.  You don't want to take too high a dose if there are going to be interactions. 

You will get better but the most important thing for now is consistency so your central nervous system can settle down again. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I had a good day today, no major crises.  I did have a minor panic attack and the fatigue continues but somewhat reduced.  I got some stuff done around the house this morning but I was wiped out by 1:00 and napped and watched tv the rest of the day.  I plan to hold here for a while before I start tapering.  I'm in this for the long haul, however long it takes, but I hold out hope that my short time on the drug will allow me to taper more quickly than usual. 

I'm taking 4 doses a day right now, I want to get back to 2 times, but this is what's working now.  I'm not going to change anything until I'm back to normal.

Savinggrace, I appreciate the advice.  I started keeping a journal today, I think I've been having a panic attack at the same time every day. 

mammaP, I hear what you're saying, but I just had to up my dose.  I tried to hold at 560mg but it wasn't getting any better and I couldn't keep melting down every day.  I appreciate your reply, I'll post the drug interactions in the morning.

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

I had a good day yesterday, no panic attacks, no interdose withdrawal.  Today started off worse though.  I woke early(still got at least 6 hours) feeling withdrawal that hasn't completely gone away yet.  The only thing I can think is that I took several doses yesterday on a full stomach, which I've noticed affects the absorption.

I'm having some panic right now.  I'm absolutely terrified that I'm experiencing rapid tolerance so that the dose necesary to stop the withdrawl is always increasing.  I can't write any more about this, it disables me with fear. 

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

After a rough morning yesterday with panic attacks and a little wallowing in self pity, I had an uneventful day.  Slept and watched tv lying down all day.  Looks like I'm going to be tired for a long time, I've never slept so much in my life.

I'm actually worried that I'm really sick, so I'm going to try an find a primary care doctor in my new town.  I'm not hopeful that they'll know anything about lyrica w/d, though.  Doctors drive me nuts with the way that they refuse to look things up that they don't know, so I hope this guy isn't like that.  Usually they act like I'm a jerk if I tell them something I read online.  I get that people don't like their authority questioned, but what good is a doctor if I have to do all the research and make all the decisions.

I think I'm going to stop posting here.  I don't mean to hurt any feelings, but maintaining threads on 3 forums is more than I can handle now, and this thread has mostly been me posting to myself.  I appreciate the support I've gotten; Those who donate their free time to help others in need are wonderful people.  I'll still respond in case other people in Lyrica w/d have questions that I can answer.

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

Hi Ryan,

BTW, I was going to respond to you before you said nobody responds to your posts. :)

I had a couple thoughts when I read your post and the first one was...wow, he is so lucky he can sleep at all.  All drugs, on them and/or off them, make me sleepless, once I develop a tolerance.  As I said before, I went two day and nights with no sleep on my 2 days of Lyrica doses and I quit.  I think you should expect your sleep pattern to change; most people sleep less, but yours might be that you sleep more.  Lucky you, I say!  If only I could sleep away my misery.

I was following your thread because I was interested in how quickly this drug affected you so negatively.  I don't think it is probably going to be a long withdrawal for you, noting your amazing taper of the benzo.

As far as going to the doctor because you think you might be sick, you may be, but this withdrawal thing makes us feel sick in almost every way possible.  That said, if a symptom bothers me enough, and contributes to anxiety, I go to the doctor and find out.  I usually don't tell the doctor I think it is related to my drugs.  I just state the symptoms I am having and let the doctor confirm it with a diagnosis/tests, etc.  Interestingly, even when  doctor finds nothing, not a single doctor has ever told me that my symptoms or condition was linked to my p-drugs, though I know otherwise.  I never challenge them, or even bring it up any more.  Most of them are just ignorant about these drugs.  Sometimes getting an answer from a doctor relieves anxiety so do it if you think it will help.

As far a quitting this group, I sure understand how doing too much of this forum thing can contribute to anxiety.  Sometimes I have to step completely away from a group and/or my computer even!  The thing is, part of the beauty of forums like this is doing something positive with our pain.  Unfortunately, many people who come here are just sick to do anything but ask for help.  I have followed and/or participated in 2-3 other groups over the years, and though I, too, don't get many responses, I can tell you that this forum is the most generous as far as allowing for individual differences.  For example, some people on other forums might seriously question whether you could get addicted to Lyrica in such a short time, and even dismiss the idea that this is a hard journey off for you.  I sure didn't.   I am a "snail taperer"....I have tried every possible way and all I can do is a snail's pace.  I didn't even feel comfortable being honest about how slow I have to go on some other forums. I was actually mocked for it a few times.  I think, because of SA, some of these forums are indeed get more educated and I was actually referred here by another benzo forum moderator.

The thing is there are hundreds of posts every single day and only so many moderators.  I think the mods respond to the most pressing needs, and hope that the peer-to-peer coaching will help those of us who don't require any urgent advice.  I was following your thread, and read your post yesterday, but there really wasn't a question in it, so I didn't respond.  I am sure you have noticed how much material there is here to wade through.  It's easy to get lost.  It was suggested to me that if I need an answer, I just post something again.

I am not trying to talk you into staying.  I am just saying that I care about you, and I am sure everybody does.  Unfortunately, time always gets in the way.

BTW, I think you should absolutely expect the fatigue, and expect to need a lot of rest as you continue on this path to healing.  Also, because of your other drugs, your w/d may cause some unexpected changes because the interaction balance is being changed.  I take 3 drugs...as I taper trileptal, I have noticed some other changes, and for me they have been good ones.  I know the trileptal has been affecting how I metabolize my other drugs, which is probably why Lyrica caused you are problem in the first place.

I am sorry this happened to you, Ryan, and I wish you luck in your healing.

Grace

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

Hi Ryan,

Am just stopping by to cheer you on.

In my experience Lyrica is a powerful drug with the potential for addicting people fast.

I had a 3 month spell on it and had to come off too fast due to serious side effects.

I am now 2 months away from last dose.

I cannot say that I am free from WD but am healing slowly.

You will get better from this Ryan though I do know how frightening it is.

All the best 

Bruin

Anti Depressants for  25 years. Valium between 2006 to 7 tapered off over a month without too bad withdrawals.

For last 15 years 150 mg of Effexor and 30 mg of Mirtazapine. Occasional short term benzo use without habituation.

March 2015 stopped Effexor after rapid taper. 6 weeks. 

One month fluoxetine June 2015...stopped CT July 2015.

October 2013 to December 2015 Zopiclone 15 mg at night,

Dec 2015 to Early March 2016 Lyrica 75 mg at night. 

Stopped too quickly as  adverse side effects.

January to May 2016 tapered Zopiclone to 7.5mg 

Crossed over to Valium and now ..March 28th 2017 Benzo Free.

Also on 30 mg Mirtazapine and holding until have finished Benzo taper.

IN protracted WD from Effexor.

Thanks for your replies, bruin and savinggrace.  It's nice to know that others have survived this, but it's always frightening to hear that the withdrawal lasted 2 months.  Yikes!  I'm planning to take this only as fast as the symptoms let me; I've read about so many people who tapered too fast and had terrible symptoms for months.  Even people who appeared to have an easy time tapering are coming back months later desperately asking if the withdrawals really last that long.  Scary stuff.

I've been having some good days, maybe the last 5 or 6 have been mostly free of withdrawal symptoms.  I've been badly constipated and heavily fatigued, I figure these are side effects of the drug, not withdrawal.  With that in mind I figured it's time to try a cut.  I cut 75mg, a little over 10%, pulling a little from all 4 doses.  I had a panic attack before the next dose, but I think it was psychological because it takes a couple days to feel the cut usually.  

I feel more alert today, and I woke up an hour earlier than yesterday, but I'm trying to keep relaxed about this.  I'm so sensitive to sleep disturbance;  I never have a sleepless night, but even losing a half hour affects my mental health somewhat.  People are surprised at how much I can sleep even in withdrawal, I guess I'm lucky there. 

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

• Moderator Emeritus

It's true that sleeping well is a blessing many of us would like!  Make the most of it :).

Fatigue and constipation can be both side-effects and w/d effects.  I've had both of them on and off during my time on a full dose, and since tapering. 

Good luck with this latest drop - please let us know how it pans out. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Failed again to reduce my dose.  The first day was fine, I was more alert than I've been and had a little more panic than usual, but slept OK. Yesterday was rough.  I had panic attacks before my midday dose, and for 3 hours before the PM dose I felt jittery and had many attacks.  I slept less than 3 hours(this is very few for me) and awoke in a terrible state again with my body on fire with adrenaline.  I could barely move because my sleeping med was very much still in my system.  

I had to reinstate at the previous dose.  I'm tempted to split the difference, but last time I got this bad I tried the same thing and it made it take even longer to get stable again.  I think I'm going to hold at the previous dose for a couple weeks and try again.  I might take a tiny symbolic cut just so I feel less of a failure.

I continue to have GI problems.  I've got to keep taking some kind of laxative, but I'm afraid of getting hooked on them, so I'm trying to avoid the stimulant ones but they are the only thing that's been working.  

Oh well, things could be worse, this life is better than no life.

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

Hi Ryan,   it is not a failure that you cannot reduce at the moment. Lyrica is powerful stuff and the 10 % rule certainly applies. 

The people I have been in touch with who have done this have had a much easier time of it. 

I simply could not as I had such a severe reaction........thus the WDs have gone on for a while. 

I do feel for you and can relate to the feelings of panic, anxiety attacks and poor sleep. 

You will however get through this. It does get better. 

Take Care 

Bruin.

Anti Depressants for  25 years. Valium between 2006 to 7 tapered off over a month without too bad withdrawals.

For last 15 years 150 mg of Effexor and 30 mg of Mirtazapine. Occasional short term benzo use without habituation.

I'm sorry you are suffering so, Ryan. You have not failed. You have just recognized that this is going to be a slower process than you want it to be. We have all done the same thing until we found the tapering rate our body/brain can handle.

I do not consider myself a failure. I made some mistakes, trusted my doctor for way too long, and will likely spend the rest of my life tapering.

I am much, much calmer when I accept that. I just made a 1% cut of trileptal and spent one whole day and night crying and suicidal, but I am much better now and will make another tiny cut after a short trip I must take.

Trial and error, adjusting the taper, and acceptance is the only way. Yeah, it's an abomination that this happened to any of us, but we all just try to move forward.. Don't fall into the trap of comparing your taper to anyone else's. It will make you worse.

You're going to be fine. Give your body and brain what it needs...time.

Grace

Thank you both so much for the support, I don't have anyone to talk to that really understands this.

I reinstated, but I decided to do a 1% cut just to have something to show for the effort. It might only be symbolic, but it makes me feel better about my backslide. So far so good.

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

good plan to make the 1% cut for morale.....you will get there Ryan......glad it is so far so good ! 

Keep us posted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just reading over your last few posts Ryan, and I think it would be worth holding for a month rather than only a few weeks before your next cut.  Both dropping and then up-dosing affect your CNS, and it needs time to stabilise again.  When you are not stable even a 1% cut can cause trouble. 

Your brain is precious and deserves the best of care.  And as the others said, you are not a failure - you are working things out as you go.  

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Bruin,

You'd be surprised how much impact a 1% cut can have on the most sensitive of us.  I have had some pretty severe w/d symptoms w/ my 1% cuts, but I use those symptoms as evidence that my brain is, albeit very slowly, making adjustments and remodeling, and so I continue.

A lot of 1% cuts add up eventually.... :)

Grace

Ryan,

I meant to say a week or so ago, but the more time you spend on these forums, the more you realize that it doesn't really matter which drug/drugs someone is battling with...we all suffer, in one way or another, in much the same way and that's why we are here.

So you can take your experience with Lyrica and give support to almost anyone here....we are all suffering and we all need support, and you seem like you have some to give, despite your pain.

I always think of these forums as a place to support others on our good days, a place to ask for support on our bad days, and a safe place to voice our terror and fears on the worst days.

Hope you are doing better today.

Grace

Hello Ryan, how are you feeling? Just checking on you.I am not so well.

symptoms OCD

Hey all.  Again I appreciate all the support.  I am doing better today, I had some errands to run and get my wife some cheeses for her birthday.  I'm a little jittery,but I've been funneling that energy into productivity.  I'll be back to respond individually, I'm going to watch a movie with my wife.

Well wishes to you martina, and to everyone here.  

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

Bruin,

You'd be surprised how much impact a 1% cut can have on the most sensitive of us.  I have had some pretty severe w/d symptoms w/ my 1% cuts, but I use those symptoms as evidence that my brain is, albeit very slowly, making adjustments and remodeling, and so I continue.

A lot of 1% cuts add up eventually.... :)

Grace

I am beginning to understand that Grace....I am having to hold at present........congratulations on continuing and healing......

Ugh.  Woke up at 2:30am.  That's still 5 hours of sleep, but it causes me a problem.  I wake up early in w/d and feel like I need to take my morning dose but it's at least 2 hours early, I try to wait till 5:30 but have been taking it at 4:30 and stretching the other doses to make up the hour.  I managed to make it until 3:45 this morning so now I need to stretch my other doses another 45 minutes.  Oh well, I feel okay now after a rough 4 hours.

Hi KarenB, Your advice is spot on, I was barely stable and I tried to make a 15% cut and now I'm paying for it.  I reinstated at a 1% cut figuring since I felt overmedicated I wouldn't feel it, but here I am struggling to get stable again.  I hope that the lyrica will build back up to the old blood level over the next couple days.  I see in your sig that you're doing super small cuts.  I'm going to hold for a while and try smaller cuts.  I just really wanted off this quicker since I'd only been on it for a short time and it's giving me terrible constipation that I'm having to treat with laxatives every day which is bad for your colon. Oh well, this experience has taught me a lesson, once I'm tapered off I'm never taking another pill, patch or strip again.

Martina, how are you today?  I hope you are doing better, you have my best wishes.

Bruin, did you have withdrawal symptoms from the Lyrica?  I'm just curious because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to who gets it.  Some people talk about long term high dose use without withdrawal, but others report experiences like mine.  There seems to be more high dose users complaining of w/d on the internet, but I've seen plenty of posts talking about 75-150mg/day users having protracted w/ds.

Thank you all,

Ryan

5/6/16 600mg false start

---

Also take:

Hi Ryan,  The short answer is yes I did have WDs from Lyrica.  75mg a day for 3 months,

I am now 2 months off and slowly healing . Would much rather have tapered slowly but the side effects for me were extreme.

It is a very powerful drug and yes I have come across people who have had problems after even less exposure than me. 

My experience tells me it is highly addictive and from what I have read of others experience the 10 % reduction per month is the best plan. 

I am sorry that you are suffering but with patience and careful planning you will get there.

With best wishes 

Bruin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ryan,

Just checking in and sharing a thought or two.

Sleep has been my Achilles heel for almost my whole life.

I know 5 hours of sleep isn't enough for me, either, but it MAY  be your reality for a while now.  You will be tired.  I find that when I go for 3-5 days on less than the 8-9 hours of sleep that my body has always needed, I crash and sleep eventually and that restores me a bit.

Here's something to consider...it's very disconcerting to be awake at 2:30 in the morning for the rest of the very long day.  Have you considered a later bed time, so that perhaps, if you only sleep 4-6 hours, you will be awake at a more acceptable time of day?

Admittedly, I am retired so I have the luxury of calmly accepting that I may, or may not, go to sleep at a certain time.  I remember vividly, however, going to bed at 9:30 because I had to get up at 6, and just lying there not sleeping and waking at 2-3:00, very upset that I wasn't going to get enough sleep.

For me, acceptance that I am not going to get the sleep I need and crave, keeps me calmer and helps me sleep, I think, so I try to be as calm as I can and not expect my body to go to sleep at a certain time and get "x" hours of sleep.  Once you heal from this drug, your sleep will return, but meanwhile, it will probably be very unpredictable in its pattern.

I still struggle with sleep, and though I am writing these words, after several nights of 2 hours of sleep, which happens intermittently, I am not so calm myself!

Hope you are getting more stable.

Grace