SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Claire8554093: Tapering off Prozac

Claire8554093

Hey there. Please can someone help me ! I have been on Prozac for 30 days only,20mg and would like to come off. However I am currently in very bad ativan withdrawal so I know what tapering the wrong way does to your body. So please could anyone give me a very safe method to taper off this drug ? Thank you so much!!!

I was on Zoloft for 3 months.(nov to jan 2016) 1 day I accidentally took 2. Stopped c/t the following week. I had panic attacks, muscle twitches and then so tarted seizuring very bad. Was prescribed ativan for the seizuring . Was on Titan for 10 days,off for 3, then another 10 days. Mad things worse. C/t ativan . Had non-epileptic fits. Went to a clinic. Was prescribed lexapro (upped from 2.5mg to 20mg) . Made me more anxious and did not help with ativan withdrawal . Stopped after a month. Tried Zoloft for a week again (in desperate need of anything to alleviate hellish ativan withdrawal). Made it worse. Stopped. Did not want to be on any medication . Was suggested to take Lorien. Been on for 30 days. Want to wean off as it is making me more anxious I think,and not sure if it did helping with ativan withdrawal . Still currently in ativan withdrawal (dp/dr, detachment from reality, anhedonia, tight pressure head, burning sensations on skin, tight ears, deep depression, loss of self).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Claire and welcome to SA.  You've come to the right place for support and information.

To enable us to give suggestions based on your individual situation could you Please Put Your WIthdrawal History Into your Signature.  Please include ALL drugs with dates and doses and how you decreased/increased.  Once we have these details we will be better able to offer suggestions.  It is a good idea to keep your signature updated in the future when you make a change so that it remains current and can be seen at a glance.

Were you prescribed Prozac for the Ativan withdrawal?  If yes, what withdrawal symptoms did you have from the Ativan?

Or are you using Prozac as a bridge?  If yes, how did you do the crossover?

What are your current withdrawal symptoms?

These details can be helpful for the staff to know what to suggest.  Another staff member may have other questions which they might ask.

I'm listing some links that you can have a read of and you can ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic, which you can also use to journal your progress.  If you click FOLLOW (top right) you will be notified when someone responds.  You might want to save your topic as a favourite so you can find it again.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

It's good that you have found this site.  The SA method of tapering is so we can reduce/get off our drug/s with minimal withdrawal symptoms.

Edited by JanCarol
fix link

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hey there! Thank you so much for your speedy reply ! I have inserted my signature !!!;););)

I was on Zoloft for 3 months.(nov to jan 2016) 1 day I accidentally took 2. Stopped c/t the following week. I had panic attacks, muscle twitches and then so tarted seizuring very bad. Was prescribed ativan for the seizuring . Was on Titan for 10 days,off for 3, then another 10 days. Mad things worse. C/t ativan . Had non-epileptic fits. Went to a clinic. Was prescribed lexapro (upped from 2.5mg to 20mg) . Made me more anxious and did not help with ativan withdrawal . Stopped after a month. Tried Zoloft for a week again (in desperate need of anything to alleviate hellish ativan withdrawal). Made it worse. Stopped. Did not want to be on any medication . Was suggested to take Lorien. Been on for 30 days. Want to wean off as it is making me more anxious I think,and not sure if it did helping with ativan withdrawal . Still currently in ativan withdrawal (dp/dr, detachment from reality, anhedonia, tight pressure head, burning sensations on skin, tight ears, deep depression, loss of self).

Yes I was given Prozac for ativan withdrawal . Ativan withdrawal : dp/dr, deep chemical depression , anhedonia, loss of self, loss of detachment from reality , inability to connect with others, loss of emotions, tight pressure around head, burning sensations on skin, tight ears sometimes .

I still have all of these withdrawal symptoms. I am thinking I will fully recover from the ativan withdrawal by the end of the year. I took the Prozac by instruction .

Thank you so much for all the links !!!! Would this help you to perhaps give any advice?;)

May I also please ask, if the Prozac is making me anxious, and I don't want to have to put up with this anxiety for another month whilst tapering, can I stop the tablet altogether ?;)...thank you so much for all your help .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Claire. Welcome to the forum from me, too.

This is the first line in your signature - "I was on Zoloft for 3 months.(nov to jan 2016) 1 day I accidentally took 2. Stopped c/t the following week. I had panic attacks, muscle twitches and then so started seizuring very bad."

Based on that, I would be very hesitant to just stop the Prozac cold turkey. Please work closely with the moderators, as they can help guide you off safely. Even though you feel bad now, stopping cold turkey may very well make it worse and make your recovery time much longer. 

Your description of Ativan withdrawal is very similar to my benzo withdrawal. There's a thread on dp/dr that I found very helpful.  That's my worst symptom, and I found this post in particular on that thread to be very helpful:

Derealization or Depersonalization

Staying in the present moment and being mindful of what you can see, hear, taste, touch, and smell can help "ground" you during intense periods of dp/dr. 

And knowing that it gets better also helps. Best of luck on your taper. 

hey guys :) please could you help me :) i am new here :) i have been on prozac for 30 days, 20mg and would like to taper off . how should i do this ? please help !;) also, how do you know if you have had a bad reaction to a drug? xxx thanks guys. looking forward to hearing from you.

Shep ! Thank-you so much for your quick reply. you are probably right. I will taper. Do you think a months taper would be long enough or should i taper over 3 or 5 months (i have been on antidepressants for 5 months total) but on prozac for a month. I really appreciate your help. The reason why i want to taper is because i don't know if it is interfering with the ativan withdrawal. I just want my old self back`!Have you healed? I really appreciate your help and advice and threads regarding depersonalisation and derealisation.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Claire. Please read through the links that ChessieCat gave you, especially these two:

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I think it will help you understand what's happening to you. 

Also, if you could give more information on your Ativan history such as the dose and exactly when you came off cold turkey. From my own experience and what I have read on the benzo forums, coming off benzos cold turkey really causes major - but temporary - damage to the central nervous system (CNS). For this reason, your next drug taper should be done extra cautiously. 

There's a benzo forum that can give you more information specific to Ativan:

Members Only Benzo Forum

Please work closely with the moderators on this to see if you should hold and stabilize on the Prozac before tapering any more. And once you do start your taper, you'll be able to make the appropriate adjustments regarding speed and percentage along the way. 

How fast you are able to come off this is going to in part be determined by your ability to handle your symptoms. For this reason, please check out some of the non-drug methods of coping: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

From the intensity of your posts, it sounds like you have a bit of akathisia, which is a severe anxious, inner restlessness feeling that's very, very common during SSRI withdrawal. So if you can listen to some soothing music, take an epsom salt bath (if you're not sensitive to magnesium), and practice other self care techniques to help quiet your mind.

The best advice is to get started on the non-drug techniques and learn to distract with music, quiet tv shows, guided meditations, etc. This will pass the time and give your CNS time to settle down. 

BTW, I haven't completely healed, but I'm definitely a LOT better and healing every day. You'll get there, too. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Claire, I got your PM, I'm not very knowledgeable in reducing antidepressants so you'll have to work with the moderators on the main board.  I'm mostly just on the benzo board.

If they gave you benzos to cover the Zoloft withdrawal (and seizures), how do you know you are in benzo withdrawal and not in withdrawal from all the other drugs that you took and were withdrawn rapidly from?

You definitely don't want a repeat performance of getting seizures so coming off of any psych drugs rapidly could trigger seizures again.  

ChessieCat gave you some excellent links, so that you may want to read carefully the topics on why and how to do a gradual  taper off of Prozac.

Regarding the withdrawal from the benzodiazepine, you may want to have a look at the Ashton manual if you have not already done so.  Here is the link:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

hey Shep! Thank you so much for your reply. Okay, so you think even slower! Wow! So 18mg for 3 weeks, then 16.9mg for 3 weeks etc.? I would have to make a liquid form from the capsule then right?

Yes, I do have a bit of akathisia however I get anxious AFTER taking the prozac, that is why i want to come off it an quickly.

The ativan withdrawal has been brutal. I have had many symptoms come and go and I am afraid that the prozac is actually making it worse. That is my reason for wanting to come off. Because every time I take the tablet I get more anxious and I am scared it is interfering with the window and wave phenomenon.

I am a member of benzobuddies. That has been a great help. How long did it take you to recover from ativan?

I really appreciate your help Shep and am so glad that you are getting better !

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you can use liquid, either by prescription or a do-it-yourself method which is explained in this thread:

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

I think patience is going to be a key point for you, so I hope you can relax into the fact that this may take awhile to sort out. I'm sorry you found yourself in this position after only a few months, but I've been on forums where short term users mess up at this point by doing very rapid tapers which can backfire.

One of the main differences between benzo withdrawal and AD withdrawal is the fact that AD withdrawal may not show up for many months after you stop taking it. That's how many people get misdiagnosed with the return of the original depressive or anxiety disorder when it's really withdrawal. 

Right now you're dealing with damage from Zoloft as well as Ativan, so it's best to let your CNS calm down. If you do decide to start tapering Prozac, I wouldn't go more than 10% and then see how it goes. It takes about 3 - 4 days to register the results and then you can report your symptoms here and get more feedback. 

Again, please give more information about your Ativan use and the dose and date you came off of. This kind of information will help the moderators as they guide you through your Prozac taper.  

You're going to be okay in time, but if you can find some non-drug ways of handling your anxiety, the time will pass by much more comfortably for you. Distraction was how I made it through - watching Netflix, playing video games, and listening to guided meditations. Nothing complex. Just kept it simple.  ;)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Claire, welcome from me too.  I am trying to work out the sequence of events,  from your signature I see this...

zoloft   3 months then C/T January and had withdrawal seizures.

Ativan for 10 days, 3 days off, 10 days  made things worse.

C/T more seizures.  

lexapro,1 month.  how long were you on 2.5 lexapro before going up to 20mg? Did you have any relief at all on 2.5

zoloft 1 week,      when did you try the zoloft again and what dose? 

Now prozac 20mg.   1 month

You have had several drugs and switches that have made your nervous system very unstable.  It would not be wise to do a rapid taper from prozac when you have had seizures from previous withdrawals.

It looks like you are actually still in withdrawal from zoloft,  made worse by all the other drugs.

Why did you quit zoloft after 3 months? Was it side effects or you felt better?  

I am sorry for all the questions, just want to clarify things, then we can see what is the best way forward for you. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Post #7 has been merged from another thread.

Hi Claire, please ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic.  That way all of the information will be together.  Thank you.

Click FOLLOW (top right) and you will be notified when someone responds.  You can also Favourite your topic so you can find it again.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Chess Cat, sure thing. Thank you. I really appreciate your help !!!!! :)  :)  :)

Shep! Thank you for your reply and help. I so appreciate this.

Okay, I will make my summary more detailed so that it will help the moderators help me. Thank-you.

Okay, I really appreciate your help with the water titration method. And coming back to the moderators every few days. that will help too. Thank-you for the advice on how to distract yourself. Is your withdraw really bad?? For how long has it been? What are your symptoms?

Okay, so for me, I don't know if  I am going through Ativan withdrawal or Zoloft or both. I know what the ativan withdrawal entails but I am not sure about the Zoloft. I do know for sure that over the last 3 months, surviving each day has been really tough. Over all it has been very tough. I was feeling hopeful because I have been on benzobuddies and they all encourage you and say that you will heal, but now you got me thinking that maybe I am going through withdrawal from ativan and zoloft?? That really scares me and I am scared that I will never get back to my old self again. Things have been really tough.

Here is a detailed list of my medication history:

2012 : Lexapro 10mg for 6 months. Stopped c/t and did not have any withdrawals

2013: Lexapro  10mg for 4 months. Stopped c/t and did not have any withdrawals

end of 2013 to april 2014 (5 months) Lorien/Prozac 20mg. Stopped c/t and did not have any withdrawals

This is when all the trouble started:

nov 2015 to end of jan 2016 (3 months): Zoloft 50mg:

One day i accidentally took 2 zoloft and went manic. This scared me so i did not take the zoloft for 3 days. Once starting again I started having withdrawals and side effects already. That week of starting again I took 1 on monday, 2 on tuesday, 1 on wednesday and 1 on thursday then stopped because it was not having the same effect. After stopping I had a panic attack. A few days later I started having seizures.

The psychiatrist prescribed ativan for the seizures. I stopped seizing but I think he prescribed too much and during this time I think i suffered side effects from the ativan. I started to walk funny, slurred speech and symptoms got way worse. I was a MESS. I took for 10 days. stopped for 3 days then tok for another 10 days then stopped altogether. He prescribed between 2 and 6 a day. One of the days i took 8. After stopping the ativan. I had catatonic symptoms, started having more seizures, EXTREMELY BAD HEAD PAIN which was HELL. I wanted to die. I was admitted in a clinic. I started having non-epileptic seizures in the clinic.

They prescribed lexapro. First 2.5mg then up to 20mg in 1 month. I stopped after a month.

I was also given urbanol 2 weeks for the seizures which i stopped when i stopped seizuring completely, which was about 1 month ago.

So things have been extremely bad.

In clinic.... valium (1 dose)  ativan (1 dose) zyprexa (1 dose) seroquel (6 days) 

After the lexapro i tried zoloft for 1 week then stopped.

We needed anything to help. Were so desperate. I was in a VERY VERY bad place. I don't know if it was mainly the ativan withdrawal or zoloft or both. I did not want to be on any medication after that but was suggested to take an antidepressant.

I was given prozac. I have been on 20mg for 30days.

I do not want to be on anymore as I am scared it is making the withdrawal from the ativan worse. Or perhaps I am mistaking this for a mixture of zoloft and ativan withdrawal. I don't know. I have stopped prozac c/t in the past and did not have any problems. Right now I am battling with depersonalisation, derealisation, depression, suicidal thoughts, anhedonia, loss of contact with reality. Literally my mind/head is doing different things all the time. I was hopeful because i thought this was normal and perhaps the waves and windows pattern on benzo withdrawal will start happening, but now i am thinking maybe i am suffering from zoloft and ativan withdrawal. which scares me. it is funny because sometimes my body feels rested and sometimes like akathisia, and sometimes i get a fast heartbeat and get super anxious , and i don't know if this is a bento withdrawal symptom or perhaps it is a zoloft withdrawal symptom or what i thought is that it is from the PROZAC, which is why i want to get off. Basically i am suffering really badly. And my goal for each day is to survive.

I am living in like nothingness but a weird kind of pain. I don't know if anyone can relate. One day i would get really bad depersonlalisation, then it would go away, then i get really bad derealisation, sometimes a really tight pressured head and ears, tingling all over my body, and the worst is this restless feeling which i thought was fading. I really would appreciate any help. I really am suffering badly. And don't know if i will EVER get my life back or if i will suffer like this forever. It got so bad that I really thought about death a lot but more than that I want my life back.

Any help would be appreciated. At this stage I really do want to just stop the PROZAC, be on no meds and hopefully heal. Any advice and recommendations I would appreciate so much. or similar stories. or success stories. any help and encouragement. i am desperate. and jut don't know what the days will bring !

xxxxxxx

Edited by mammaP
Split into sections for clarity

Oh one more thing, sorry, i am also really angry this all happened as i did not cause it! I did not want to be on ativan and i had no idea that I would have such a bad reaction to 2 zoloft tablets. I am also quite lost and lonely in this whole ordeal! and really want my head and life back.!!! Thank-you for this forum

Hi Claire, welcome from me too.  I am trying to work out the sequence of events,  from your signature I see this...

zoloft   3 months then C/T January and had withdrawal seizures.

Ativan for 10 days, 3 days off, 10 days  made things worse.

C/T more seizures.  

lexapro,1 month.  how long were you on 2.5 lexapro before going up to 20mg? Did you have any relief at all on 2.5

zoloft 1 week,      when did you try the zoloft again and what dose? 

Now prozac 20mg.   1 month

You have had several drugs and switches that have made your nervous system very unstable.  It would not be wise to do a rapid taper from prozac when you have had seizures from previous withdrawals.

It looks like you are actually still in withdrawal from zoloft,  made worse by all the other drugs.

Why did you quit zoloft after 3 months? Was it side effects or you felt better?  

I am sorry for all the questions, just want to clarify things, then we can see what is the best way forward for you. 

hey mama:) thank-you so much for your post and help. i really would appreciate all the support and help i can get. i really feel so so lonely and lost and a struggling so much. i think i answered all your questions in your previous post. i stopped the zoloft because i got very scared of the tablet when one day i accidentally took 2 and went manic and CRAZY! That really scared me. I think answered all your questions above. What would the withdrawal from zoloft be. I know for sure i am suffering ativan withdrawal. and thought perhaps by the end of the year or middle of next year i should be fully healed because i know ativan withdrawal can be brutal. however, now i realise perhaps i am suffering from zoloft withdrawal too or discontinuation syndrome, i don't know though, what do you think? oh i would os appreciate a mentor or someone to help me through all of this. i really has been hell.

if i am battling from both, do people heal from discontinuation syndrome or zoloft withdrawal, and when ?

Would so appreciate your help.

Sorry, i am really not trying to be stubborn or not follow your advice, but I really do want to stop the prozac c/t because i think it might be confusing everything and adding to the problem, but i won't go ahead with this until speaking to you.:)...also if i am suffering from discontinuation syndrome too, how does it work, windows and waves too?

I would so appreciate any help. I think you can hear i am desperate. Thank-you so so much Mama!

Okay, one more thing, so basically, these days, my mind/head goes through different zones and phases it really has been a nightmare. I have probably had 3 windows over the last 3 months of about 20 minutes where things are like 20percent normal. It really has not been fun

I get really bad depersonalisation, derealisation, get very irritable which is SO unlike me, I have NO personalty, i am like a ZOMBIE, a few weeks back my cognitive abilities were HIDEOUS, i get tight pressure in my ears sometimes, i get a tight head sometimes, the worst is these weird feelings of doom leering in and over e, like my body is just not working well. I have been well aware of all these symptoms over the last 3 months, since the last 3 months all i am trying to do is SURVIVE and get better!!! So i am super cautious with how i feel after taking prozac and every time i take it, straight after it i get restless and anxious, which i think is adding to my withdrawals! I am basically suffering in withdrawal 24/7. I over these last 3 months i have not had 1 day of normal. each day has been a serious fight. 

i will gladly tell you more, but most importantly i would appreciate any hope and help!

xxxxx

Claire

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Claire, now I see that there was another drug, URBANOL, how long did you take that for and did you feel any better on it? 

This question is important... how did you feel when taking 2.5 lexapro, and how long did you take 2.5?

I am asking this because sometimes people do well on very small doses but doctors do not believe that a small dose can be effective and increase doses.

Were you ok with zoloft BEFORE taking the extra dose and becoming manic? Mania is a side effect of a dose that is too high. 

What happened when you tried zoloft for 1 week after lexapro, what dose was it?

You said a few weeks back cognitive abilities were HIDEOUS, has that improved? Are there any more drugs you may have forgotten about? Even one or 2 doses? Supplements, caffeine, alcohol?  Don't panic, we will help you through this. :)

Because of your history of seizures we would not recommend a fast taper from prozac, it is extremely important that you take it very slowly, we will work that out when we have the full picture.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

hey mama :) thank-you so much for your reply, and help . wow I really SO appreciate this. I really do. Okay, oh no...i have not taken my prozac today, so I am guessing you suggest I take it? At this point you can clearly see that i am absolutely TERRIFIED of tablets. However, if stopping the prozac is going to cause more problems then I'd rather not. During the early weeks of withdrawal from ativan, I had this PAIN in my head, like glass was being stuck in my head, I guess it was neuropathic pain and/or parasthesia. That was BY FAR the WORST SYMTPOM and because of that , sorry to say, and I have NEVER been sucidial, I have always LOVED life, am a straight A student type of girl, don't drink or party ...but because of that HELLISH indescribably pain I genuinely wanted to die. sorry for being so morbid....tablets!:) Could a symptom of stopping prozac c/t be that pain?...however, i know i probably am not going to land up stopping c/t because of this forum :):):) so thank-you.

Okay, I took the Urbanol 10mg -30mg daily for 2 weeks straight after stopping the ativan to help with the non-epileptic fits. Whilst I was in the clinic I was given one dose of valium, but I hated it. Whilst having the fits and going to hospital to be treated, I was given paracetamol and anti-nausea medication as well as 1 dose of ativan for the brain scan. ironically I felt better on the ativan which goes to show that I was/am in withdraw. I was also given 1 dose of zyprexa in the clinic but didn't like it. I was also given seroquel , the lowest dose. And took that at night to sleep about 6 times but stopped. This was prescribed but the psychiatrist in the clinic.

Our family and i decided to do things on our own so we stopped the seroquel and frequent urbanol use. as well as lexapro. Yes, I think i was doing better on 2.5 mg. 20mg was WAY to high and having the opposite effect on me.  We also bought cayenne pepper to try help with pain, i took that a few times a few weeks ago, as well as paracetomol, 1 grandpa, GABA supplements on SOME days, TAURINE supplements on 2 days and i tried NIACIN on 1 day but didn't help. Over the past 2 weeks i have not been taking any supplements. About a month ago i also took zopimed to sleep, a half for about 2 weeks, but sometimes i took 1 or 2, during the day because the withdrawal was SO bad.

Yes, for like 2 months, i had INTENSE HEAD PAIN, worse than a migraine and total loss of reality. I think i also had a period of delirium. Things have been bad. I must be super sensitive to tablets. 

Yes! I was perfectly fine on the zoloft before taking the 2 doses. it was actually helping me!!!

When i tried zoloft again, took 1/2 for 1 day, 50mg for 4 days then 1/2 for 1 day. It made me more anxious and wired up.

I have stopped prozac c/t in the past and nothing happened, I have not previously had seizures either , those only happened after the zoloft.

I would so appreciate your help. I am going to read your post again to see if there is anything i have missed out.

Thank-you SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

Sorry, so should I take the full 20mg today or 18mg? or 10mg? Sorry that i am being obsessive, but will it be an issue to take it in the afternoon when you usually take it in the morning?

And one more thing, sorry ! is there another advice, help or hope you can give me regarding everything else, since tapering prozac is not the only thing i am dealing with at the moment.

• Moderator Emeritus

Take the full dose for today Claire, I have to go out now and haven't had time to read your replies but will come straight to them when I get back this evening. 

2002  effexor. 

Thank-you so much Mama :) I appreciate it so so so much. xxxxxxxxxxxx

hey mama , i am so sorry for always messaging, please forgive me, i have taken 10mg of prozac, at 4pm, should i take the other 10 now ? i don't usually take it in two doses, is it dangerous to do so ? sorry!!!!

i took the full dose today. I am going to follow your orders strictly when you give me a tapering schedule. Would your recommendation be 10% every 3 weeks? ...one more question, am i doing the wrong thing by tapering off this at this stage, if i am currently going through withdrawal from zoloft and ativan, and perhaps a bit from the lexapro too?would tapering off this, extremely slowly, maybe over the course of 4 months add to the problem. please let me know. i am desperate and don't have a clue as to what is going on with my nervous system!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for answering the questions Claire. I'm sorry that there were so many but it is important that we get the whole picture. 

You have had so many drugs in such a short space of time that  your nervous system is very unstable right now. You were suffering withdrawal from zoloft. then given a benzo to try and help but benzos are a different class of drug and would help with the symptoms but the only way to stop withdrawal is the drug you were taking. 2.5mg lexapro helped but went far too high. If you had stayed at 2.5 you might have been ok because it is the same class of drug as zoloft. The prozac dose is also too high but could be dangerous to cut too much at once. 

Whatever happened in the past with prozac doesn't matter, your nervous system has changed and is struggling. You had withdrawal seizures from zoloft and ativan. and if you C/T prozac you will most likely have more seizures.  I know you are feeling really bad but you need to taper very tiny amounts so you don't have any more seizures. We usually recommend 10% but I think I would do a micro taper, and cut 5% , then hold and see how it goes. You could be able to make smaller cuts more often, so it doesn't take any longer but it is more gradual . You will have to listen to your body and be very aware of changes. Side effects are dose related and should get better as the dose lowers.

You will get through this, it will take time and lots of patience, but we don't want you having more seizures and be back in the clinic needing more drugs that will further destabilise you. I am going to add the other doses you mentioned in your post with the list and ask Altostrata, our administrator, and our benzo experts  to take a look to be sure I have it right. 

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Hello, Claire.

It sounds like you feel effects of Prozac after taking it? Activation or nervousness?

Given your history, we assume your nervous system is already somewhat fragile. However, as you've been on and off a bunch of SSRIs with adverse reactions and have been on Prozac for only a month, if I were you, I might reduce it by 10% every 2 weeks, a bit faster than our usual recommendation of 10% per month.

The 10% is calculated on the last dosage -- the amount of the decrease keeps getting smaller. Your first decrease would be 2mg to 18mg Prozac, your second decrease would be 1.8mg to 16.2mg Prozac.

Please let us know how you are doing, to make sure that rate of taper is appropriate for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Claire.

It sounds like you feel effects of Prozac after taking it? Activation or nervousness?

Given your history, we assume your nervous system is already somewhat fragile. However, as you've been on and off a bunch of SSRIs with adverse reactions and have been on Prozac for only a month, if I were you, I might reduce it by 10% every 2 weeks, a bit faster than our usual recommendation of 10% per month.

The 10% is calculated on the last dosage -- the amount of the decrease keeps getting smaller. Your first decrease would be 2mg to 18mg Prozac, your second decrease would be 1.8mg to 16.2mg Prozac.

Please let us know how you are doing, to make sure that rate of taper is appropriate for you

Thank you for responding Alto . 

Claire, here is the topic for tapering prozac, and has directions how to get the lower doses. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

I hope you start to feel better as the doses get lower, you deserve a break from this suffering! 

2002  effexor. 

Hello, Claire.

Please let us know how you are doing, to make sure that rate of taper is appropriate for you.

Hey! Thank you so much ! I will start the taper then the day after tomorrow. Are you sure will prevent any withdrawal whatsoever ?? Also, I have missed 2 doses so far in the 5weeks I have been taking,1 was today, went to church and forgot to take it ....is this a huge mistake ? Will this lead to any side effects, withdrawal or ssri withdrawal syndrome/discontinuation syndrome ?sorry! I am just so scared as I am currently fighting ativan withdrawal !!!!its horrific to say the least !

...thank you so very much for your help and friendship. I appreciate you so much! Really look forward to hearing from you !

Sasha

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Claire. Unfortunately, nothing can 100% guarantee no withdrawal whatsoever, however, by reducing 10% every 2 weeks as Alto proposes, you may have fewer withdrawal issues, especially in the long run. 

I wouldn't worry about missed doses in the past. Just concentrate on the "now" and that will really help with anxiety. I think just about everyone has forgotten doses while tapering. I know I did. 

I understand your panic during Ativan withdrawal. My own benzo withdrawal was horrific because I unknowingly went too fast. But anything you can do now to engage in non-drug techniques will help in the long run:  

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Take a few deep, cleansing breaths. And keep telling yourself that you're going to be fine. Please keep us posted on your symptoms after your reduction. 

stop.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Shep,Mama and Altostrata. I appreciate all of you more than you would know . This suffering is unbearable . I am mostly struggling with Ativan withdrawal, it has been more than horrific, and I am still in the throws of it. I am hoping that by in a year I will be fully why healed from the Zoloft and the ativan, could that be possible ? Shep, Altostrata and Mama, I need to ask you please , I am going to taper the Prozac, but do it as slow as possible , to be honest , I am not getting anxious from it anymore, however at this stage I am SO scared so scared of tablets but I also don't want to taper off at the wrong time. I have been on the Lorien for 1 and a half months. I am currently at the end of the ACUTE stage of ativan withdrawal , based on this, would it be a bad idea to taper the Prozac now or should I rather wait until I am recovered from the benzo withdrawal which could be in a year and then taper off the Prozac however I would then be in it for longer which is also not a good thing ? Or should I stay on for 6months in total and then taper for 6months. Bear in mind that I was on Zoloft for 3months and then lexapro for 1 month so I don't want to be in antidepressants for longer than I should be . Please help ! What do you guys think ? And I am probably still going through Zoloft and ativan withdrawal together . My aim at this stage of life is to survive each day until it gets better....it's that bad.....I hope you get the picture. I would so appreciate your help everyone . Kind Regards, Sasha

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Claire. What is your current dose of Prozac?  In your post above on May 8, you were getting ready to start tapering. Did you decrease any?

I'm not sure which medications are causing what, and at this stage, it's impossible to say.  Right now, it's about getting your CNS stable enough for you to remain functional while going through another taper. Also, your history of seizures means you should be extra cautious. 

What are your current symptoms? Are you sleeping? 

Shep, I am not functional at all! I have severe anxiety which mutes me completely, no emotions, depersonalisation an derealisation, weightloss, my brain feels like it is on fire sometimes, depression, anhedonia, anxiety, numbness sometimes, twitches sometimes, pins and needles okoume times, cog fog, memory loss and more. I have lost my life completely . So, what do you think? I am currently going through Zoloft and ativan withdrawal.....do you think I could be healed within 2 years? And did you have it this bad ? X sasha

• Moderator Emeritus

Claire, where are you at in your taper? Please list your current dose and if you've made any reductions. 

Shep, sorry, I have not started my taper. I was too fearful too. I didn't know whether it was the right time to come off. What do you think? Thank you for being here Shep. To appreciate it way more than you know . Thank you Shep , so much.