Claire8554093: Tapering off Prozac

Claire8554093

So I am currently taking 20mg Prozac a day. And have been in it for 52days.

I was on Zoloft for 3 months.(nov to jan 2016) 1 day I accidentally took 2. Stopped c/t the following week. I had panic attacks, muscle twitches and then so tarted seizuring very bad. Was prescribed ativan for the seizuring . Was on Titan for 10 days,off for 3, then another 10 days. Mad things worse. C/t ativan . Had non-epileptic fits. Went to a clinic. Was prescribed lexapro (upped from 2.5mg to 20mg) . Made me more anxious and did not help with ativan withdrawal . Stopped after a month. Tried Zoloft for a week again (in desperate need of anything to alleviate hellish ativan withdrawal). Made it worse. Stopped. Did not want to be on any medication . Was suggested to take Lorien. Been on for 30 days. Want to wean off as it is making me more anxious I think,and not sure if it did helping with ativan withdrawal . Still currently in ativan withdrawal (dp/dr, detachment from reality, anhedonia, tight pressure head, burning sensations on skin, tight ears, deep depression, loss of self).

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you've been taken on and off so many drugs, but your chances of coming off and going on to heal are really good. How soon that will happen is something that simply can't be predicted. Just take it a day at a time and when that's difficult, a minute at a time. 

Two questions:

• Are you taking anything else at all - supplements, other medications, etc? 

I'm concerned because you've reported using these kinds of things in the past in this thread here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12002-claire8554093-tapering-off-prozac/?p=223342

You also mentioned using zopimed the month prior to this. Please keep in mind that Zopimed (Ambien) is chemically similar to Ativan and other benzodiazepines. 

It's important to know if anything else is complicating the picture. 

• Do you want to try a 10% reduction? I was under the impression that you were, so I'm concerned that you haven't already started. 

With your history of growing sensitivity to these drugs, as well as a history of seizures, we've recommended not going any faster than the 10%.  

If fear is stopping you from making that first step, you may consider doing a micro taper:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Once you get started, I think you'll gain some confidence in the process and start feeling some control over the situation. 

Shep, thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it so much and appreciate you being there for me big time! Really! I hope I heal within 2 years. I am part if benzo buddies and that gives me comfort however I have. It found a lot if people who have gone off an antidepressant and benzo. Have you come across anyone like this and seen then heal?

At the moment I am not touching any supplement and will not in the future. I will not touch another tablet if any form in the future ! Not at all! And will wear a bracelet saying ad and benzo free and allergic I case I land up in hospital for some procedure or something . P

Okay, so you think I will be alright starting my taper now, even though my cns is damaged at the moment ? If you say so, I will go ahead with the micro taper.

Thank you Shep!

Is your situation as bad? And when did you heal? Thanks for everything Shep!!!!!!!

I was on Zoloft for 3 months.(nov to jan 2016) 1 day I accidentally took 2. Stopped c/t the following week. I had panic attacks, muscle twitches and then so tarted seizuring very bad. Was prescribed ativan for the seizuring . Was on Titan for 10 days,off for 3, then another 10 days. Mad things worse. C/t ativan . Had non-epileptic fits. Went to a clinic. Was prescribed lexapro (upped from 2.5mg to 20mg) . Made me more anxious and did not help with ativan withdrawal . Stopped after a month. Tried Zoloft for a week again (in desperate need of anything to alleviate hellish ativan withdrawal). Made it worse. Stopped. Did not want to be on any medication . Was suggested to take Lorien. Been on for 30 days. Want to wean off as it is making me more anxious I think,and not sure if it did helping with ativan withdrawal . Still currently in ativan withdrawal (dp/dr, detachment from reality, anhedonia, tight pressure head, burning sensations on skin, tight ears, deep depression, loss of self).

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so glad to hear you're off the supplements. That will really help. 

Lots of people go off multiple drugs, including the AD and benzo combo. Check out the success stories section for hope and encouragement. Here's one to get you started:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6366-success-beconscious-survives-ativan-and-pristiq/

I'm not healed yet, but I am recovering slowly. That's the thing about recovering from psych drug withdrawal - it's not a linear process. There are good days and bad days. For me, I have partial windows that only last a few minutes at times, what I call brief "glimpses" into the other side, into healing. But it's enough to let me know that healing is happening.

Here are a couple of links about what to expect:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

There are a lot of non-drug coping skills to get into that will help calm your CNS and teach you what you'll need to know to get through this. I'm a huge fan of mindfulness, but there are many other things to choose from. 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

It's totally understandable to have a great deal of fear of tapering after all you've been through, but it's important to distinguish those fears with your actual withdrawal symptoms. This thread on Neuro Emotions might interest you, as it goes into how these drugs can affect us emotionally:

Neuro Emotions

Please realize that you've already taken a great deal of control over your health by getting off your other meds, going off the supplements, getting an education in the proper way to taper, and getting the emotional support you need. So you're doing great. Give yourself credit for all you've been through and all you've accomplished so far. And know that it truly does get better. 

Please keep us updated. 

Hey there ! Is anyone out there to help me or support ! Please ! I feel lost lonely and so isolated! Please! Anyone ! I am going through withdraws from 2 tablets, Zoloft and ativan and am scared I will take more than 2 years to heal. I was on Zoloft for 3 months and ativan for 3 weeks but 120mg in total. Anyone out there who has withdrawn from 2 at once . I am beyond scared. Love to all!!!xxx sasha

Hi Sasha. A moderator will be along soon to help answer any questions you have. Please don't be scared ~ you've come to the right place for help in withdrawing and tapering. I'm currently tapering off of buspar and when that is complete, will finish tapering off Zoloft. It can be done! Just requires patience and acceptance. ????

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

Hi Sasha-- welcome to the group, I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble and feel so isolated.  We have a very friendly community here with a lot of support, I'm so glad you found us.  All of the starting and stopping of different drugs had really confused you brain and it going to take a while to settle out, but things will improve.  To start with here are some links that will help you understand what is happening:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Give those a read and then ask us a lot of questions.  thank you for adding a signature block, it really helps us see what is going on.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

Merged new topic with Claire's prior Intro topic.

Claire, please read this topic from the beginning. We had suggested you start reducing the Prozac a month ago. What happened?

For the time being, keep your history in one place: Please add your questions and updates to this topic. Bookmark it or follow it so you can find it again.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

Alto!my dad said I must not taper! So I didn't . This whole thing has been beyond difficult . I am trying to do this all on my own .2weeks ago I went to stay at a couple from our church for career as I was in a bad state fitting and seizuring because of benzo withdrawal and they PULLED me OFF PROZAC CT! I insisted I wanted to taper over and over ,even fought with her but she would not give me the tablets. I was on for a total of 2.5months . What do I do now? Please help! The benzo withdrawal made me want to give up on life, now this , I am SO scared of some protracted withdrawal or things becoming worse. Please what are my chances of getting protracted withdrawal from 2.5months of Prozac? Please ? And when could it set on,in months ? Please I end any advice or help . I have no support now . Please ! Do I go back on ? I will do anything ! It wasn't my choice !!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Please try and calm down,  breathe and relax.  How do you feel after stopping prozac? I know you are scared but how are you NOW, any different? 

Are you still with those people and can you get any more prozac? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Mama, thank you for messaging ! Thank you !

I am not with those people anymore . I am at home now . I can get more Prozac. I have been feeling like I am in hell for 14weeks ,due to ativan withdrawal so I don't know or won't be able to distinguish specifically . My sleep however has worsened and I feel a bit of inner restlessness. I think I am specifically scared mama because I had a MAJOR paradoxical reaction to ativan, have had fits and seizures and gagging for 2weeks and so it has not been normal life at all for 4months. So I am specifically scared of anything else. I am trained to be super cautious now you wow, of everything because of what I have endured these months so far and what is to come. I think it will take 2years to heal completely from that mess and I am ting to prevent anything more coming on me like some strange akathisia which I will NOT be able to handle .

I read withdrawal symptoms can come on 6months later ? Does that mean in 6months another and more hell could come crashing on me ?

Love you mama xxxxxxx

Thank you for being here xxxxxx

Have not much support xxxl

Sasha

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't worry about what may happen in six months time, just concentrate on now. You are over thinking things and worrying which is not helping you at all .

You could try 1mg of prozac and see how that feels, it would be best if you can get liquid. Try that for at least 4 days to see if it has any effect. Don't be tempted to go any higher. Try and keep calm, that is what will help you now more than anything.  If you can't get liquid you may be able to make your own liquid with tablets, you can find instructions here. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Are you with your parents? They will be distressed seeing their daughter suffering and want to help, try and stay calm so they know you are in control and will be ok. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Yes I am with my parents however they don't really support me anymore . Okay, so you suggest trying a small dose? So you don't think I will get a withdrawal syndrome or anything ? Thank you mama xxx

So it's not dangous to go back on after 19 days off ?x love Sasha

19 days is a small time period. I would give it a go . It could save you a world of pain.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

So do you think I should go back in and stay in for some months ?

I was only in for 2.5months, am I still at risk for protracted withdrawal? If so, when could the onset be?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Claire.

Please read MammaP's post above about reinstating at 1 mg of Prozac. 

It is possible to have a lengthy recovery after only 2.5 months, but reinstating at this small dose may be a way of lessening your symptoms and allowing yourself to very gradually taper off. 

There's no way of telling when the "onset" will be. However, if you are suffering greatly and unable to function in what you need to do, reinstating a very small dose is the best way to handle it. 

Are you able to get liquid Prozac as MammaP mentioned? This would give you the easiest and gentlest way to go.

It sounds like you have other people in your life who are making decisions on your behalf, so that's something else to consider if you do go back on the medication. Starting and stopping suddenly causes stress on your CNS, which is already sensitive. 

If you do decide to reinstate, please note it takes at least 4 days for your system to fully register a reinstatement, so keeping a daily list of symptoms will help determine the next step in your taper. 

We'll be here to provide support whether you reinstate or not, but do re-read this thread and the links provided, especially about reinstating and non-drug coping skills. You've had a lot of chemically-induced trauma to your CNS, so learning non-drug coping skills will really help you get through this. Some of your anxiety is from catastrophizing events that haven't happened and more than likely won't. 

Breathe. Take a walk in a park. Watch a movie. Listen to music. Know that you will heal in time. Life will be good again.  Even though I'm not healed yet, I still find pleasure in life every day by purposely seeking it out. You can, too. 

Shep x thank you x I, going to go buy Prozac now . Just curious, why start on such a low dose ? Xx Sasha

Hi Sasha-- often times when a person has abruptly stopped and started a number of drugs on a relatively short period of time it can cause their nervous system to be sensitized to the presence of the drug but needing it to function properly.  The idea of starting on a very low dose is to give your body just enough to make it function properly but not enough to trigger the sensitivity.  We recommend starting with a very small dose and seeing how your body reacts to it  and we can make adjustments to fine tune things.  With reinstating there is always a risk that it will not work and make things worse, if that is the case then because of the small dose minimal damage has been done.  This is not to scare you, reinstatement usually works quite well, but there is a risk that it won't.  

Reinstatement is not an instant thing. It takes four day for the drug to become steady state in the blood.  During that time the symptoms can be all over the place.  Once steady state is achieved the body can start sorting things out and readjusting to the presence of the drug.  The time frame for this is quite variable from a couple of weeks to several months, but it eventually does happen.

Hope that helps.

Brass

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Brass, that helps hug amounts . Thank you . Brass,I am in hell at the moment from ativan , so I will struggle to tell the difference from being stable or not being stable and what is rom ativan withdrawal or from reinstating Lorien,if you catch me? Would you still recommend reinstating . Love Sasha x

• Moderator Emeritus

You're asking a good but difficult question, Sasha, and there's really no way of knowing. 

If you do reinstate, please give it a good 4 days to a week because it takes that long for your CNS to register the reinstatement. Please read over this thread if you haven't already:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

I came off a cocktail of 6 drugs, 4 of them cold turkey and the others 2 via rapid taper. So I had side effects and withdrawal effects coming from 6 different directions. Almost all of these drugs caused dp/dr, and that has been my worst symptom throughout this dark journey. But I do remember my memory and insomnia being much worse after the Klonopin rapid taper. 

Are there any symptoms that stand out as specific to the benzo as opposed to the antidepressant? If so,  you can use that as a guide. If not, you can keep up with a daily symptom tracker, such as this - Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklistAnd over the first few days of the reinstatement, keeping a detailed log can help you gage whether or not the reinstatement is working.

By only reinstating 1 mg of Prozac, any adverse reactions will be minimal and you can more easily come off if there are problems. 

Whether you reinstate or not, don't forget the non-drug coping skills and your distractions to keep from catastrophizing, which is very easy to do when your CNS is going haywire. 

Please let us know how you do.