If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

andy Finally off zyprexa

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 andy

andy

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:47 AM

Hello I always wanted to return to the site and thank all that helped me in the dark hours and also the forum owner and originator for the tireless work that has helped so many people

Heres my thread when I first asked for help http://survivinganti...g-from-zyprexa/

I wont go into how I finally quit the drug because it wasnt the normal 10% approach although I tried 5 times and failed miserably.I found a good understanding doctor who helped me reduce and more than anything listened to me without prejudice.This helped enormously,I finally jumped off at 1.25mg and to be honest it wasnt to bad,by far the worst reduction was going just under 2.5mg,I had severe migraines ,nausea,heart palpitations,sickness,depression,mania,mood swings and relentless insomnia.The insomnia was by far the worst symptom as it made me anxious and very irritable ,all this while trying to be a good father and holding down a very stressful and demanding job.Of all the drugs I was put on Zyprexa was the hardest to quit,it was hell and back but it can be done

I have recently started my Taekwondo training again that I practiced for over 15 years but couldnt while I was on this terrible drug,I now feel calmer and sleep well.I put on over 3 stone while on zyprexa even though I ate a well balanced diet,I felt lethargic and had no interest in life,that has all changed and the weight is coming off steadily. Excercise has been the most helpful tonic for me and even when I had had zero sleep I went to my class and worked out.It slowly but steadily improved my sleep and made me feel confident again that I could get over all of this,when you start to see improvements you start to see light at the end of the tunnel

Things are heading in the right direction and my outlook on life is positive once again.I feel good

Once again thankyou for all your help and for people just starting the journey dont ever give in it can be done,god bless you all

Andy

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivinganti...ly-off-zyprexa/

#2 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

Thank you for coming back to post a success story Andy. Congratulations on getting off Zyprexa, it sounds like your life has improved a lot, this is so good to hear.

How did you finally manage to taper off, even though we recommend the 10% method here, if someone is successful using another method, we like to know about it.

How did you deal with the insomnia, how long did it last?

How long have your been Zyprexa free?  It would be great if you would update your signature.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#3 andy

andy

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

Hi Petunia

I dropped in 25% doses and held for 3 months or more,each time after 3 days insomnia hit me like a brick I chose to simply ignore it and  slowly it went away after 3 weeks each drop .Some nights I took an over the counter sleepeaze antihistamine  that helped a lot but I always tried to sleep naturally,ive had enough chemicals in my body.I tried melatonin but it nothing for me,I tried various vitamins etc but they also did nothing so I just decided good diet and excercise was the answer and to practice accpetance and be kind to myslef

I told myself my body would repair itself and it would get as much sleep as it needed if it was only an hour a night so be it then next night would be better and it was.Each drop the nausea and migraines seemed to take around 3 weeks to go away

When I got to 2.5mg I cut a tablet in half and took it every other day for a month,then cut the every other day tablet in a 1/4 until I got to 1.25mg every other day.Took that for 3 weeks then stopped.As I said getting just under 2.5mg was by far the worst drop,maybe it was all in my head and not pyhsical but this was the hardest barrier.I had to prepare myself mentally for it.

I think a big turning point for me was getting back into an excercise routine it gave me focus and a distraction,slowly it improved my sleep

I am left with some anxiety,tinnitus and If I am honest still not 100% confident in my sleep but time will heal that

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivinganti...ly-off-zyprexa/

#4 andy

andy

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:57 AM

I am only posting if it helps others and gives them hope,In the last three years my drug history looked like this and it started with prolonged antibiotic use which is where it all started to go wrong for me.Cant be specific with dosages and dates as its all a blur.The doctors constantly wanted to up my dosages when I complained I was feeling worse,one thing I look back on and am glad I stood my ground on was refusing to take higher doses of meds ,especially olanzapine. They wanted me on 15mg but I refused much to their disgust

3 months ciproflaxin for suspected prostate infection

3 months Tramodol for pain 

Put on Citalopram 50mg for depression anxiety,took off cold turkey

Hospitalised in a pyshciatric ward twice after citalopram use

Given open prescription for Lorezapam

Put on Quetiapine 150mg,took off cold turkey

Put on Sertraline 50mg  twice

Put on Olanzapine 5mg for almost 3 years

#5 Mjau

Mjau

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

Hi Andy!

Great to hear you are off Zyprexa! I know someone who is on this drug and it has really horrible side effects for this person! 

How long have you been drug free? You write that you took 1/4 a pill every other day. I wonder if that affected you somehow? Did you feel different the days when you took the pill compared to the days when you didn't?

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 burnout. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

#6 andy

andy

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:49 PM

no i felt the same every day but i did do really long holds,when i got to 2.5mg i held for 4 months,ive been drug free about 3 months

getting just under 2.5mg was the hardest part

#7 Shep

Shep

Gold star

• Moderators
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:38 PM

It's always good to read an antipsychotic success story. My Seroquel withdrawal was very similar to yours - I made very large reductions but held for a long time when I got toward the end and luckily found this website. The last 6.25 mg was definitely the hardest. So it's good to see someone heal with a similar pattern. 

Thanks so much for coming back and writing this, Andy. You've brought hope to a lot of people. Wishing you much joy in your drug free life. 

Locked up and forced onto drugs as a teenager - misdiagnosed manic depressive.
Developed dependency and stayed on cocktails of drugs for nearly 30 years.

My Intro: Shep's Journey

Last drug cocktail: Seroquel, Halcion, Klonopin, Sonata, Vibrydd, and Dexetrine

After 30 years of polydrug use, completely med free May 22, 2015.

Remaining symptoms: dp/dr with memory problems and insomnia

I am not a medical professional, and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs. 

#8 PluckyPony

PluckyPony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

Andy, your story radiates hope and possibilities. Knowing that it's possible and that real people have persevered against antipsychotics renewed my resolve to get off of Abilify for good.

2006-2009 Zyprexa and Wellbutrin (dc Wellbutrin cold turkey, dc Zyprexa cold turkey with disastrous results) 2009-2010 Transitioned from Zyprexa to Abilify 2010-2015 Reduced from 20 mg of Abilify to 8mg. Cold turkeyed once during this period but finally learned my lesson.  December 2015 -  8mg of Abilify.  Mid April 2016 -  7mg of Abilify. Mid September 2016 - 6.3mg of Abilify.  November 2016 - 5.7 mg of Abilify.  November 30, 2016 - 5.1mg of Abilify. January 8, 2017 - 4.6mg of Abilify

Be your giant, greatest fan! Words of wisdom, yes I can! Earth, Wind and Fire.

#9 frasier23

frasier23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

Andy how many hours sleep do you have today? Do you feel refreshed?
2015june psyc ward due to psychosis
10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

Been struggling with complete insomnia since 2015july cant feel any restorative sleep anymore but I have holes of sleep i think

#10 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:49 AM

andy, what was it about the 10% reduction schedule that was difficult for you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#11 andy

andy

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:17 AM

I sleep 6 hours on average some weeks I have one bad night with no sleep but can handle it
I think it was the amount of time it took alto maybe I'm just inpatient,I would still reccomend the 10% rule

#12 Santino

Santino

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationAlbania

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:32 AM

Andy

Hi friend... such an inspiring nice story to read. I really needed something like this today to enforce my belief that we can recover.

How is everything with you buddy...??? I Hope everything sails smooth for you now on....

Good Luck and stay away from meds.

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg,

25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg