Marcos: Please help! I feel that my brain is damaged

Marcos

Hey guys

I hope you are all doing great.

I am new to this forum. I am abusing tramadol and its been 2 months now continuously, I have the 100mg tablets and I am taking them crazily 500mg each time together and im doing this 3 or 4 times in few hours everyday. Its been 3 days now don't feel anything when i take them, only sick feeling when I used to enjoy them before ( i am stupid i know ) but now i am afraid and i want to stop them totally. The withdrawals kept me taking them since its too hard, i always say im going to stop i am going to stop but when i remember how bad is the withdrawals i keep taking them to run aways from that. But now i really believe that i should stop taking this evil pill that changed me and changed the way i think and feel.

I did this before for few weeks without knowing the consciouses until i stopped them because i was going go travel on vacation then i was hit by the nasty withdrawals for 3 days then i travelled on the 4th day and i was normal maybe because i was happy to travel because i work for 6 months continuously and my work is full of stress. And stress is what made me go back to them when i returned to my work now. Im dying please help me i dont know if i caused my self a brain damage its been 3 days i cant sleep at night i try to sleep but i cant its like my body is dead but my brains cant stop thinking and imagining stuff and hearing voices. Before when the pills worked i used to enjoy my sleep and used to wake up very happy.

My sex drive is 0. I am always upset i forgot what the meaning of real happy is.

Did this happen to anyone else?

I am ready for the withdrawals i dont care about them anymore. But will my brain get back to normal?

My believe its damaged! I sweat i do!

Someone will move your post to the Introductions forum and help you there by giving you some advice and links to read.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

No keep posting here till you are moved to the right forum by a moderator. They will tell you some things to help you too.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Marcus - welcome to SA!  

I am sorry that you are feeling so horribly and have found yourself here, though I'm glad you did.  I know you are frightened and feeling horrible right now.  But we will do our best to help you find your way out of this situation with tramadol.

The first thing I need you to do is fill out your signature block with your drug history, including recreation drugs and alcohol.  List everything that you are currently using.  This is very important so that we can inform you safely.   Instructions are here:  Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

Your signature block shows up under all your posts and gives us a quick view of your history.  

I would first like to add that it is very unsafe to use alcohol when taking large amounts of tramadol as you are, so please refrain if you use.  

Though you are feeling awful on this much tramadol, you do NOT want to come off too quickly and trigger withdrawal, which you have already had some experience with.  Doing a cold turkey or fast taper will leave you feeling a whole lot worse than you are now, and protracted withdrawal from such can last months and years.  On SA, we advocate a 10% taper method, whereby the drug is reduced by 10% of the previous month's dosage every 4 to 6 weeks.  As the amount lowers, you will feel better and better.  There's simply no fast route to getting this over with safely.  Please read the following:

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I have brought your situation to the attention of senior mods who know more than me and will be able to give you guidance given the large amount of tramadol you are using.

Meanwhile, it is very important to try to stay calm and employ some self-care.  Two supplements that we recommend to aid healing are

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Magnesium

You can heal from this.  Rhi's post about what's happening in the brain may help you see that there is hope.  

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

You may wish to look through our thread about non-drug methods of dealing with emotions since again, it is important to stay calm and not get caught up in fear about what you are experiencing.  Fear literally makes things feel worse.  

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Neuro Emotions

Your emotions are under the influence of tramadol, via withdrawal and bouncing around in dosage, so it is hopefully helpful to know this so that you can step away from those emotions and not let them carry you away :-)

I'm sure others will chime in shortly.  Meanwhile, please read the links and come back with answers and questions.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Administrator

Welcome, Marcos.

Exactly what is your drug schedule? Are you taking any other drugs.

This is important: Please keep notes on paper every day about when you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, when you say withdrawal would make you take them again, though you are feeling sick taking them, did you try to go cold turkey?  Or was it a lesser amount?  We need more details, please, so that we can hone in on a dosage that you should take consistently every day for awhile, and from which we can then base the 10% taper once you have been stable for some time.

We hope to hear back from you soon!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Marcos -

The irony of Tramadol is that doctors think it is preferable to codeine, because it is a weak opiate, and a strong serotonin drug.  It's like half painkiller, half "antidepressant."  I say irony, because you can come off codeine easily in a month, but the tramadol you must be more careful with.

Please see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11542-tips-for-tapering-tramadol/ to get more information.

Welcome to SA!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hey guys! I am very thankful for you replaies.

It's been 3 days no Tramadol! I stopped cold turkey once and for all and I will never ever ever take any not even 1mg even if my life depended on taking it. And to be honest this time was way easier than my first withdrawal since I really wanted to do it this time with great will so I am not surprised.

The first day was awful (not as my 1st time w/d) but I managed to get over it thinking positive that its a matter of few days and all those bad withdrawal symptoms will go away and I will get my life back and be fair with my brain the most important organ God gave us because by continuing taking heavy amount of trams I was ruining my brain slowly and I have a long life ahead of me.

I couldn't sleep the first day I rolled over and over the bed hundred times even though I took 30mg Diazepam and did nothing the first few hours. I ended up sleeping on the ground for 2 hours :D

The first 2 days I only took Vitamin C, Paracetamol and Imodium syrup for diarrhea.

Today I took nothing and I haven't eaten anything for 3 days only drinking fresh apple and orange juice and eating pineapples and some biscuits.

I am really feeling okay today my ONLY problem is fatigue.

I am really happy and thank God I am through the other bad symptoms that were mild not as I expected. And I believe its all in your head think positive and you will get through it easy.

Thanks a lot guys

As for my brain I will always stay positive and I hope that I did not cause any damage. And will try to stay healthy as much as I can.

you can come off codeine easily in a month, but the tramadol you must be more careful with

Wrote JC, above. I hear the sound of a jet flying overhead.

Marcos decided to go the cold turkey route, unmindful of the potential for a pretty bad delayed wd reaction. To this he added

I took 30mg Diazepam ..... [cut description of where he slept]

The first 2 days I only took Vitamin C, Paracetamol and Imodium syrup for diarrhea.

Today I took nothing and I haven't eaten anything for 3 days only drinking fresh apple and orange juice and eating pineapples and some biscuits.

All things that we might caution against (the drugs) as likely to have serious repercussions, or just plain nutritionally not so good (where's the protein and fiber?) but ineffective against wd syndrome.

Thanks a lot guys

Well, ok. Good luck to you and if we can ever be of help, feel free to ask..... not that you have to take our advice. But you may want to go easy on the valium......

I only bought 10 pills of Diazepam just to help me sleep for couple of days and I will sure not take them anymore after this

• Moderator Emeritus

I concur with CW, so glad you are thinking cautiously about the diazapam.

Keep us updated on your progress, Marcos.  Hopefully you will be a lucky one and get out of this unscathed, but if the wheels start to come off your bus, revisit this link:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

SG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Marcos, how are you doing?

SG

Hey SquirrellyGirl! Thanks for asking!

Its been almost 15 days now and I'm very happy I stopped cold turkey as I mentioned before the first few days were alright not as bad as I expected but day 7 and 8 were rough because I was out of Diazepam and I did not want to buy more (which is very easy to get here) so I won't get used to it so I had no sleep at all for about 3 days body dead but brain working and weird tasks to finish live dreams! So I bought Imodium syrup I drink a bit before going to sleep and makes me sleep like a baby. Its the only med I'm taking now and planning to stop it as soon as I get my normal sleep back. I still feel the fatigue and cravings my mind always tells me so get Trams but never I'm fighting it, and I had some which I flushed. I feel its almost over one week more and I'll get back to normal!