SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ O2bhappy: 9 months off Prozac - does it get any better?

O2bhappy

Hello O! The hope you are having a good day...my symptoms seem to be changing and I can't make heads or tails of it....there is a pattern of sorts....the foggy head and slow feeling is usually more in the morning....by lunch time it seems to clear a bit...around mid afternoon I'll start to get this nervous energy mixed with irritability like I have had too much caffeine it can last anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours...it usually gets better close to supper time then it happens again from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm... I am also getting this parathesia type feeling in my legs but no pain with it...some more changes that are positive are that things seem very clear and bright in a good way...also I haven't been taking the trazadone every night for sleep only when the melatonin doesn't work and I have been able to sleep the past two nights in a row with just melatonin....now mind you I wake up several times like 5 or more to roll over and two of those times to go to the bathroom but I am able to go back to sleep which is a big accomplishment for me scared to get excited about it as I am afraid I'll jinx myself. The only prescription mess I am taking is 1 mg estradiol because I am I had a complete hysterectomy several years ago and it has helped a lot with hot flashes and I take 60 mg of propanolol ER.... I had a stress test done and preliminary reports wee everything was fine but when I went back for follow up he said that my heart was not pumping properly when the treadmill was in an elevated position so he suggested blood pressure medicine. It does seem to help with palpitations.

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Sorry to hijack , O2behappy but DowntonGirl - palpitations are often a side effect or withdrawal symptom but never the less please look to the cause and not a pill. It's most likely a " lifestyle " change - maybe diet related ? More plant based - less  animal fat , maybe ? Exercise? All considerations to be taken into account.

Blood pressure meds is just more of the same . Please don't go down that route. 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

ChessieCat -

I can understand the irritability. It happens so quickly. Comes out of no where. I have to apologize to my family and tell them this isn't me, this is the withdrawal.

Today I woke up feeling sad and depressed. I cannot stop crying. I hate the extremes of emotions. I wish I could come up with ways to handle it. I feel like I am in a fog because of these emotions. Still waiting for the happy me to emerge.

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

O2bhappy. You have to understand that this is just the fog from withdrawal. It will recede . The extremes of emotion are a big part of this. It's not you and in time the " happy you " will emerge !  :) 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

downtongirl -

I woke up this morning and I cannot stop crying, the past couple of days has been anger. I am not sure which is easier to deal with.

I understand the changing symptoms. The first couple of months off Prozac my symptoms would change. I also noticed some were worse in the morning and then got a little better as the day went on. From what I have read that seems to be common in withdrawal, but I know it doesn't make it any easier to deal with or handle.

I can relate to the feeling like I have had too much caffeine. I find that I cannot drink caffeine anymore because it makes my shaking and anxiety worse. There are mornings I will drink a little coffee, but then I pay for it the rest of the day.

I am glad to hear that you are able to get more sleep. That is very important in withdrawal for recovery. About four months off Prozac I started having really bad issues with sleeping. I would wake up at the same time every night and not be able to get back to sleep. I would just lay there. It slowly resolved itself over time, but I still have nights that I don't sleep well. I also wake up during the night because of hot flashes and night sweats.

Going through withdrawal is not for the weak, but going through withdrawal makes you weak. I try to think that going through all of this will make us stronger, but it is hard to believe when you are in the middle of it or are having a wave. It's a day at a time, and sometimes an hour at a time.

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

I am sorry you are struggling O....you are about 13 1/2 months off correct?  Do you think any of your symptoms have improved?  I think it is wonderful that you don't have a lot of problems sleeping.  I know the crying is not fun but maybe it will be healing.  Do you feel calmer after crying or like it is a release?

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

AliG -

Thank you for reminding me that the fog and emotions are from withdrawal. During a wave I need to be constantly reminded of this, otherwise my thoughts take me to a bad place.

I think I should try and take time each day to think about the happy me emerging and that should give me hope.

downtongirl -

Yes, I have been off Prozac for a little over 13 months. I have seen improvements in some of my symptoms and I have seen changes as well. One of the big improvements is that I am not as nauseous. I was nauseous for over a year. I lost 55 pounds because I could hardly eat. Had many test run, of course I knew this was from withdrawal but my doctor didn't believe me. I am also able to eat now, but I still get filled up very quickly. I was actually diagnosed with delayed gastric emptying. My GI Doctor said that could be because of being on Prozac and coming off it.

I also get new symptoms. Right now I have a weird sensation in my head. I tell myself that is my brain healing itself. I also have problems getting a deep breath. These symptoms started happening in July.

The crying and anger are hard to deal with. I also find that I cannot handle stress very well, but I have read a lot of people have a hard time with stress.

So glad the nausea is better do you ever get an "I don't care about anything attitude?" I do it is like if someone were to say the house is on fire I would respond oh well...when down deep inside I know I really do care it is like I swing from caring way too much about what people think or what I think about myself, worry a lot to not giving a crap about anything....do you think this is the brains way of reregulsting itself?

O 2B.    It  gets so much better. You just have to be patient. Time is the key.  When I got the weird " head sensations" , I knew it was healing and instead of being afraid  - I was like " bring it on " . I knew I was healing. Why be afraid ?  For me , it was a positive sign.

downtongirl -

Yes I have a lot of apathy. I go through periods where I don't care about anything or don't want to do anything. It is part of withdrawal and recovering from taking antidepressants for a long period of time. When I was first in withdrawal I would always ask when will this end and get better. What I finally learned is it take time for the brain to heal. I don't always remember this when I am in a wave and need to be reminded of it but from what everyone says it does get better. There are days that are easier to believe that then others.

AliG -

As you know it is hard to be patient in a wave. I am much more patient then I was a year ago. I know it takes time, I just need to remind myself.

When I told me husband that I was having weird head sensations he ask if he needed to take me to the hospital. I told him no because it was my brain healing itself. In the beginning of withdrawal I would have gotten scared about this symptom, but like you I am saying Bring It! It actually provides me with comfort thinking my brain is working to heal itself.

Great thread I am a the same stage as you O2B I am 13 months off effexor, I stopped on august 24th 2015,

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

I have been feeling a lot of guilt and regret the last couple of weeks. It is tearing me apart. I guess it is all part of withdrawal and healing but it certainly isn't enjoyable.

I have also noticed that lately I seem to be having a hard time dealing with the changes going on in my life. I have never dealt well with change and I could deal better with it while medicated. I have been to several events recently where I have seen people I haven't seen in years, this includes seeing kids that are now in college. I guess I am not dealing well with everyone getting older. I know that sounds strange. It's like I was medicated for so long and now all the sudden I am an adult and everything around me is changing. I am really struggling with how to adjust to these changes. Does anyone else deal with these same struggles? How do you manage?

My beloved golden retriever passed away suddenly Wednesday night, October 12th. I am devasted. I know she had cancer, but she had been doing so much better lately. On Wednesday she had a great day and then Wednesday night she collapsed and was gone. The hurt that I am feeling is indescribable. She has been my comfort and companion for nine years. She provided me with so much love. I turned to her for comfort especially going through withdrawal. I don't know what I am going to do without her. This is making my withdrawal symptoms worse. I am really struggling to make it through the day. I cannot stop crying. I want her back but know that is impossible. I don't know what to do.

I am so sorry for your loss. Loosing a beloved pet (family member) is very hard.  I've been through it many times and it never gets easier. But I'd gladly suffer it again for the companionship and love I received for all those years.

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

Brass

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I'm so sorry O2, that's such sad news. I haven't logged on here for a while but just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. How lovely to know her last day was a good one, though I know it doesn't make it any easier. Like Brass says, it's so hard losing a pet, they are family members and it's such a big loss when they go. Take care of yourself, sending big hugs.

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

Condolences on your sad loss

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry, O2B!  Losing a beloved pet is hard on anyone, let alone when you are in withdrawal.  I lost one of mine a year ago shortly after I had reinstated and wasn't really very solid, yet.  I think I was in anhedonia because I couldn't feel enough about losing him.  One way or the other, it really sucks what these drugs do to us.  

My parents have gone through the loss of their last three Goldens to cancer.  Just before the last one, a little dog happened into my life, a waif of a stray that no one claimed.  I hung onto her, knowing that she'd soon be filling a very deep hole when my parents' dog succumbed.  It was hard for them to open up to her at first but they were willing to try, and now, a year later my dad jokes "We're thinking we might keep her" as the little bugger snuggles up with them on the couch.  Perhaps there is such a waif out there in need of your love, ready to fill that gaping hole.

I know this won't be of any comfort now, but your pup did you a favor leaving suddenly, as a long slow decline due to cancer is tortuous for the owner, and I know because I've been through it with two of my own.  The third left me suddenly, happily chewing a bone on the lawn on a sunny day one moment and gone the next, likely hemangiosarcoma, a bleeding cancer.  It was such a shock and I begged and pleaded that he come back and give me another chance....but he spared me, and I am grateful that he didn't have to suffer.  It's just so hard to be the one left behind.

Many hugs to you :-(

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

brassmonkey -

You are very right, losing a furry family member is not easy. This is our second golden we have lost to cancer. Both only lived until they were nine. As hard as it is now I know that we will have another golden one day.

It is hard not having that comfort and companion during withdrawal. I always went to her for comfort, now I guess I need to find my comfort somewhere else.

When I was on Prozac that was a crutch for me, my golden was a crutch for me. Now I don't feel like I have any crutches to fall back on.

keepinghope -

Thank you for the hugs. I could still use them. These last few days have really been a struggling. I miss her so much.

It seems that my withdrawal has gotten worse since she has passed away. She was the one that provided me comfort during withdrawal and now I don't have her. I find myself smelling her toys, just to smell her. I am sure that is probably making things worse for me and I should probably but them away. It's just hard.

dowdaller -

Thank you for the condolences.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope you can move on from this although I completely understand how hard this must be for you. I understand about losing crutches and loved ones. It's hard !!  Crying can be good as a release and then diversionary tactics can sometimes work to a degree.

Hugs,

Ali

SG -

I am really struggling with the loss of my golden. She was the one thing that gave me the most comfort during the times of the worst of my withdrawal and a bad wave. Since she died I have noticed my withdrawal is worse. The olfactory hallucinations have gotten ten times worse, I have had headaches everyday, my anxiety is awfull. I also have these weird sensations in my head and at times my face feels like it is tingling. It is so much harder to cope with my fur baby.

Not sure telling myself that this will pass is making it any easier, because I don't think I really believe it.

Ali -

I feel like I am just existing. I am trying to distract myself by doing the things I can and then it hits me and I start crying. I had a complete meltdown the other day. I was crying and yelling. I am angry about my dog dying and I am angry about my withdrawal. Sometimes it is easier to deal with my symptoms of withdrawal but right now is not one of them. I know anger is part of grief and I have certainly reached that point.

I hope this wave of withdrawal passes sooner then later. It is very difficult dealing with grief and withdrawal.

If you look at some of my posts you will see a high degree of anger. I posted on Partial Recovery Stories recently and realized how much anger was there along with recovery.

We have all had meltdowns. You are 14 months approximately  ? Cold turkey ?

Ali -

Almost 14 months and yes cold turkey. Cold turkey wasn't my choice. My body could not tolerate the change in generic.

I have had a lot of anger in withdrawal. I think what set me off was being so upset about my dog and all the withdrawal symptoms. Recently I started having these pins and needle feelings in my head and face and I was so upset that I am now dealing with new withdrawal symptoms, at least that is what I am thinking is going on.

I keep asking myself if this will get any better.

Yes. Cold turkey wasn't anyone's choice. I look back and I'm overwhelmed at both the stupidity of not only my doctor but myself as well.

What was I thinking ?  I can only assume that I was under the influence of the drugs at the time , which I was.

Pins and needles in the head ? Even after 29 months , I still get the odd tingle in the head.  

Will it get better ?  Yes !

For me , it's all gone and I know it will be that way for you in time.

Hugs,

Ali

• 2 weeks later...

I am now 14 months off Prozac. I have notice some improvements, but I am also getting new withdrawal symptoms.  The things that have improved is the nausea and my appetite.  I am able to eat now without feeling nauseous or extremely full. 

The symptoms that are continuing is the bad anxiety, fear, olfactory hallucinations, memory issues, hot flashes, night sweats, chills, internal shaking, apathy, mood swings, and crying.  I am sure some of the crying is from still grieving the loss of my golden.  It has only been a couple of weeks since she passed away.

My new symptoms are tingling in my face and head.  I have also noticed light sensitivity.  I notice when I am driving things seem much brighter then they use to be.  Maybe because my eyes are more opened then they were when I was on Prozac, could that be what is causing the light issues?  I am also noticing some DP/DR symptoms. 

I need to stop being so focused on my withdrawal symptoms.  I am sure giving them constant attention is making things worse for me.  I notice the slightest change going on and say that must be something from withdrawal.  As you all know, some days are easier then others when dealing with all these symptoms.  I don't talk much to my friends or even family about my withdrawal symptoms.  I could tell they were getting sick of listening to me complain.  I have had friends come off antidepressants and never had a withdrawal symptoms,  they don't understand why I feel so bad. 

I found some other posts of yours and then eventually think this might be your journal?  I was interested to see how easy it was to get off Prozac as my dr. wanted to switch me to that, saying it is easier to get off as it has a longer half life.  I will get around to reading this topic soon and get back to you!  Hope you are doing oka these days.

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

• 2 weeks later...

grandmaD -

I would not describe getting off Prozac as easy.  Or should I say it has not been easy for me.  Maybe it would have been easier if I was able to taper, but unfortunately that wasn't an option for me.  I have seen improvements but they have been gradual.  I have also seen symptoms get worse and not improve at all.  I am now 14 months off Prozac and my withdrawal symptoms still constantly remind me that I took that poison. 

Let me know if you decide to switch to Prozac and if you have any questions please let me know.  I am here for you. 

I have really noticed my anxiety levels are really bad lately.  I have tried mindfulness and meditation and neither of them are really helping me.  I went on Prozac for panic attacks and the constant anxiety is making me feel very panicky.  Is this still part of withdrawal or is this just my anxiety returning?  I have been off Prozac now for 14 1/2 months.  The anxiety is constant.  Any little bit of stress I have makes the anxiety worse.  Any suggestions on how to help deal with the anxiety would be much appreciated.

• Moderator Emeritus

It may be that your withdrawal symptoms have worsened after the loss of your furry friend.  It hasn't been long and you may be coming out of the initial shock/numb stage of grief.

When I lost my girl earlier this year, my daughter was concerned about how I was going to cope and made the suggestion that I 'check in with myself' throughout the day.  On the first morning I set a beeper to go off each hour so that I would not forget to ask myself "what/how am I feeling?".  I didn't need to set the beeper after I had done this several times as I was able to remember.  Checking in with myself regularly meant that I was able to assess my level of anxiety and was able to calm myself before it built up too much.  I found it a very helpful thing to do.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi O2, yes I agree with ChessieCat, it's not been long and you're still grieving. Don't be too hard on yourself that the anxiety techniques aren't helping at the moment. I tried mindfulness meditation when I was in the height of pain from the sciatica, but I couldn't concentrate enough to do it. My head was just full of pain, it consumed me. 

The one thing I found that helped then (apart from the painkillers!) was inhaling Valerian essential oil. Every half an hour or so I'd take a few good deep sniffs (yes, looked odd but I was in bed so no one saw anyway!) 

Valerian has an anti-anxiety effect when inhaled, which is different from the more sedative effect it has when you take the oral pills or liquid (that could cause a paradoxical reaction when in WD). It helped me, that's all I can say. I'm sorry I don't have any better advice to offer.

I wish there was something instant we could take to undo all the damage these drugs created. Other than that it's just time, and lots of it, but I get impatient and wonder when it will all end, wish I could go back in time and never have taken that first green and yellow capsule. But we will get through this. Always here if you need to talk. 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

Hi O2 I am in this same boat myself my symptoms have ramped up since september, I get an odd fleeting moment of normality, its been tough, I have just stuck to my guns and am just about surviving, I am trying to do the mindfulness every day and I listen to eckart Tolle, just putting one foot in front of the other and hoping for the best. It appears time is the only thing that will help, so we just have to hang in there. Sending you good vibes

ChessieCat -

I would agree that I am still somewhat in shock and numb about my golden passing away.  I know it has had a big impacted on my life.

I think "checking in with yourself" is a wonderful idea.  How were you able to calm yourself?