☼ O2bhappy: 9 months off Prozac - does it get any better?

O2bhappy

StarChild -

Thank you so much for saying that my story is inspiring.  I cannot tell you how much that means to me.  I have been off Prozac for 2 years and it has been such a difficult journey.  I never thought of myself as strong, but I do believe it does take strength to continue to go forward. 

You do have to trust that the brain and body does heal.  It is a very slow journey.  There were times that I just didn't think I would make it and I wanted to give up.  I was so tired of feeling sick everyday.  I am healing but I am not where I want to be yet.  Everyday I still deal with withdrawal from taking Prozac for so long.  It is not only the physical and mental symptoms but the guilt of taking an antidepressant for over 12 years.  I feel like those are years I will never get back.  I see what 12 years on Prozac did to my life when I look around my house and see what I haven't done.  I was so drugged and numb that I didn't care about anything.  Well, I must care now because I am dealing with guilt.

I wish you much success in getting off Prozac.  I am here for you if you need someone to talk to. 

Hugs!!!

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

August 28th I celebrated 2 years off Prozac.  I am not sure it was a celebration or a day I where I kept reliving the past two years of struggling.  I didn't post that day because I really didn't celebrate that milestone and that is exactly what it is a milestone.  I am still dealing with symptoms of withdrawal.  I have seen some symptoms go away and improve but I have also developed new symptoms.

I am still dealing with...

- Crying

- Internal shaking

- DP/DR

- smell hallucination

- hot flashes (could be menopause)

- not sweats (could be menopause)

- insomnia (could be menopause)

- anxiety

- scared feelings

My new withdrawal symptoms

- Itching (palms, bottom of my feet and sometimes my entire body)  -  I wonder if it is a withdrawal symptom or something from allergies.  I have been dealing with this for a month

- some really weird thoughts (which I can't even begin to explain)

I am working very hard on "allowing" all these symptoms.  I remember early in withdrawal being told to allow the feeling and not fight them.  I didn't like that suggestion because honestly I just wanted all these physical and mental symptoms to go away.  Probably after a year I realized that fighting them wasn't helping.  Anytime I feel something weird going on with me the first thing I think is "allow."  I honestly must think the word allow 25 times a day.  Thinking the word allow is better then thinking "oh no" I want this to go away. 

I also struggled many times with thinking about going back on another antidepressant.  I kept thinking about if I went on something else that I would feel better.  Well antidepressants haven't help me in the past so why would I think they would help me now.  I was looking for that magic pill to make everything better and I realized that antidepressants were not a magic pill.  It is because of that so called pill that I am in the position I am in now. 

I am still working on getting out of my head and living my life.  Thinking about how bad I feel isn't adding value to my life.  Now I certainly have days that all I do is cry and those days are very difficult.  On those days it is nearly impossible to turn off my negative thinking.  Obviously, it is easier to have positive thoughts when you don't feel awful.

My goal is to one day be able to write a success story on this forum and give anyone going through withdrawal HOPE!

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

1 hour ago, O2bhappy said:

August 28th I celebrated 2 years off Prozac.  I am not sure it was a celebration or a day I where I kept reliving the past two years of struggling.  I didn't post that day because I really didn't celebrate that milestone and that is exactly what it is a milestone.  I am still dealing with symptoms of withdrawal.  I have seen some symptoms go away and improve but I have also developed new symptoms.

I am still dealing with...

- Crying

- Internal shaking

- DP/DR

- smell hallucination

- hot flashes (could be menopause)

- not sweats (could be menopause)

- insomnia (could be menopause)

- anxiety

- scared feelings

My new withdrawal symptoms

- Itching (palms, bottom of my feet and sometimes my entire body)  -  I wonder if it is a withdrawal symptom or something from allergies.  I have been dealing with this for a month

- some really weird thoughts (which I can't even begin to explain)

I am working very hard on "allowing" all these symptoms.  I remember early in withdrawal being told to allow the feeling and not fight them.  I didn't like that suggestion because honestly I just wanted all these physical and mental symptoms to go away.  Probably after a year I realized that fighting them wasn't helping.  Anytime I feel something weird going on with me the first thing I think is "allow."  I honestly must think the word allow 25 times a day.  Thinking the word allow is better then thinking "oh no" I want this to go away. 

I also struggled many times with thinking about going back on another antidepressant.  I kept thinking about if I went on something else that I would feel better.  Well antidepressants haven't help me in the past so why would I think they would help me now.  I was looking for that magic pill to make everything better and I realized that antidepressants were not a magic pill.  It is because of that so called pill that I am in the position I am in now. 

I am still working on getting out of my head and living my life.  Thinking about how bad I feel isn't adding value to my life.  Now I certainly have days that all I do is cry and those days are very difficult.  On those days it is nearly impossible to turn off my negative thinking.  Obviously, it is easier to have positive thoughts when you don't feel awful.

My goal is to one day be able to write a success story on this forum and give anyone going through withdrawal HOPE!

My life was good while on the drug up until 4 years ago when I started to take lots of symptoms and nothing found. I regret staying on so long as it has caused so many problems in my body. But looking back I had OCD while on it and was obsessed with cleaning and everything being in its place and was maybe not the easier to live with. I have all those withdrawal symptoms you have listed and more. The scared feeling is awful it comes in waves over my body. Are you reacting to meds and supplements? I wish you well with the rest of your recovery. This is pure torture what we suffer and no help which is very difficult. 

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

• 4 weeks later...

Bluebird2009 -

I am sorry for my delayed response in getting back to you.  I also regret staying on Prozac for so long.  The withdrawal has been awful.  Like you I wish that I had never started to take it. 

I stopped taking any supplements about a year ago.  I thought that they were contributing to my nausea.  Since my nausea has improved I am actually thinking about starting back on a multivitamin.  If I can tolerate that then I am going to start back on the fish oil. 

How are you feeling?

I was just diagnosed with Dermatographia.  I am wondering if this is a withdrawal symptom.  I have been off Prozac for a little over two years.

In the end of August I started having itchy hands and feet, which I still have now.  Then in the end of September I started feeling itchy all over.  I was wondering if it was seasonal allergies so I started taking Zyrtec, it helped but made me tired.  I started to notice that when I would scratch that I would develop red lines and welts where I scratched. 

I went to the doctor yesterday and she said there was no know cause for the Dermatographia.  She said to take a antihistamine to help with the itching. 

I am extremely frustrated because I am tired of things being wrong with me.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experience this before.  If so, did it get better or go away?

2 hours ago, O2bhappy said:

Bluebird2009 -

I am sorry for my delayed response in getting back to you.  I also regret staying on Prozac for so long.  The withdrawal has been awful.  Like you I wish that I had never started to take it. 

I stopped taking any supplements about a year ago.  I thought that they were contributing to my nausea.  Since my nausea has improved I am actually thinking about starting back on a multivitamin.  If I can tolerate that then I am going to start back on the fish oil. 

How are you feeling?

Hi I'm not good at all, I had a period of severe stress and it has sent my nervous system crazy. Extreme fear through body and also I had a chest infection and cldnt tolerate the antibiotics and had to suffer until it went on its own. I wanted iv treatment but my Gp doesn't believe that I can't tolerate oral meds and supplements so not good. Also having extreme fear shooting through my body. I was doing ok until my stress and that had set me back. Hope you heal soon. 

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

Bluebird2009 -

I understand how stress can cause your nervous system to go crazy.  I know it does not take alot of stress to make that happen.  Sorry to hear about the chest infection.  I know during the worse of my withdrawal I was taking antibiotics and they made my withdrawal symptoms worse.  Dealing with doctors during withdrawal is awful, they just don't understand.  

I have had the fear and it is awful.  I still get it especially when I have a new symptom appear.  I worried that it won't go away.  I am in that situation right now with the extreme itching and the dermatographia I was diagnosed with.  I am scared it won't go away.  

I remember when I went on Prozac I would hear doctors and people say it is the easiest to tolerate...I don't believe them.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, O2B,

On 10/24/2017 at 1:21 PM, O2bhappy said:

I was just wondering if anyone else has experience this before.  If so, did it get better or go away?

Just got your PM and thought I'd answer you on your thread.

Have you looked at our thread on itching for suggestions?

This is definitely a withdrawal symptom.  It's not fun but it will go away with time.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

apace41 -

Thank you very much for your response.  Yes,  I have checked out the thread on itching.  I didn't find anything related to the dermatographia that I have.  

The itching was a sudden onset.  I am surprised that I am still developing withdrawal symptoms, especially since I have been off Prozac now for 26 months.  

• Moderator Emeritus

To clarify my response, O2, I don't know much about dermatographia to be honest.  My sense, however, is that it is a sensitization of the skin that results in the lines that come from scratching.  Skin is an organ and, like others, is controlled by the CNS.  Because of the meds and withdrawal yours has likely been compromised and temporarily damaged.  In your case it is manifesting in the form of dermatographia.  My suspicion is that it will go away (which is true for the condition even when not due to withdrawal).  

Thus, the need to focus on the itching since that is what is causing you to scratch in the first place and the reason for my posting that thread.  Because of the derivation of SSRIs from antihistamines, we are not big fans of proposing them as treatments and encourage looking at other things, however, some people do get relief without compromising their situations by using them.  

Has the Claritin helped?  Have you tried benadryl?

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy,

Thank you for the clarification.  I didn't think about the skin being an organ and controlled by the CNS.  

I had read before on one of the forums about trying to avoid antihistamines during withdrawal, but the itching has gotten so bad that I had to try something.  Benadryl didn't help at all.   I took Claritin twice and it made me feel like I had drank a gallon of coffee.  It made me very shaky.  I have taken Zyrtec, but a whole one knocked me out and made me completely groggy the following day.  Then I cut the tablet in half and that still made me groggy the next day.  I have always been sensitive to medicines.  My next step would be Allegra.  I have to do something to get the itching under control.   

I did make an appointment with a dermatologist and a allergy doctor to see if there is anything they could do.  Beside withdrawal I am also wondering if this has anything to do with seasonal allergies or maybe even dust.  

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, O2bhappy said:

I did make an appointment with a dermatologist and a allergy doctor to see if there is anything they could do.  Beside withdrawal I am also wondering if this has anything to do with seasonal allergies or maybe even dust.  

I think that what happens is that our CNS and immune systems in withdrawal become very sensitive and we are subject to all sorts of things we were never subject to before.  So, you could have some seasonal allergies that triggered this and it is being exacerbated by the withdrawal and newly diminished CNS and immune system.  There are lots of stories of people in w/d who come down with new and exciting ailments they never had before.  I firmly believe it is all linked to the meds.

I believe that it largely heals over time but the amount of time is simply unclear.  For some it is quick and for others it takes longer.  We like to say "the longer you were on and the higher the dose the longer it will take" but that is probably way too simple an equation.  It will depend on personal biochemistry, environment, lifestyle, etc. but at the end of the day I believe you will get there.

For now, however, trying to find symptomatic relief with the least amount of medical intervention is the goal.

Best,

Andy

Hi there!

I sent you a PM, hope you got it.

Hope we can talk soon. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

02B, I'm just catching up on some PMs and I saw your PM regarding dermatographia. Instead of responding via PM, I'm going to place some information for you here on your thread so you have everything in one place.

This is a good place to read and post questions:

Skin issues: hives, acne, dryness etc.

You may also want to look into meditation as an answer. It's odd as it seems, there is some scientific basis for this:

Mindfulness - can it ward of stress and skin disease?

This is a great free, eight-week online course for mindfulness:

Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction - online course

I've been using these techniques for over 3 years and it's helped many symptoms, possibly even the skin problems that are not nearly as problematic as they were. Not sure if it was the meditation or letting time pass, but it might be worth a try, especially since it doesn't come with any side effects. 

Hi O2B, I found your thread because I've been dealing with persistent itching since reaching the lowest levels of my VERY SLOW! Lexapro taper and jumping off the stuff over Thanksgiving. I'm currently taking Claritin to make my life bearable and hoping to taper THAT later on down the line. I don't like being on another drug but I would have to assume it will be much easier to ditch than the Lexapro, later on. Anyway, how is your itching? Because I want to get off the Claritin, I did a of research last night and found something called the histamine diet; some members here have used it: 

It could be worth a look - cuts out foods that are high in histamine, which it seems you already have plenty of. I started this diet today after noticing that both beer and kombucha flared my itching; fermented items (which I adore and usually tolerate quite well) are very high in histamine. Also, there are a few supplements that are supposed to have antihistamine effects: stinging nettle, quercetin and butterbur. I am currently taking the first two but I can't say I've noticed a difference yet. They could be worth a shot! Wishing you wellness, please update on how you're doing with the itch. 

6/2015: 10 mg Lexapro generic + 100 mg Seroquel following episode of severe insomnia.

12/15 - 2/16: self-tapered Lexapro (no Dr. supervision) too rapidly: 3 weeks at 7.5 mg, 3 weeks at 5 mg, 3 weeks at 2.5 mg then off. NO W/D SYMPTOMS.

3/16 (about two weeks after final dose): bad insomnia again. Tried to hold out. Failed.

5/1/16: Saw psych. He said relapse and put me back on 5 mg Lex + 50 mg Seroquel to be reduced as Lexapro takes effect. I now believe it was only W/D. Dr. wanted me to updose, but after finding this site I decided to stabilize at 5 mg and start tapering at a later date.

Supplements: Magnesium citrate, fish oil, probiotics (from food not from pills)

Month of 7/16: Tapered off Seroquel: 1 week 20 mg, 1 week 15 mg, 1 week 10 mg, 1 week 5 mg. No problems sleeping throughout this process. Stopped Seroquel several days ago (7/21?) and sleep has been mostly good, some bad.

Reinstated 5 mg Seroquel 7/25 and stabilized my sleep.

9/1/16: Started tapering generic escitalopram liquid: 4.5 mg  :D

6/1/17: No longer taking seroquel for sleep. Escitalopram liquid down to .9 mg  :D

6/10/17: .8 mg

On December 8, 2017 at 10:35 PM, LexAdvice said:

Hi O2B, I found your thread because I've been dealing with persistent itching since reaching the lowest levels of my VERY SLOW! Lexapro taper and jumping off the stuff over Thanksgiving. I'm currently taking Claritin to make my life bearable and hoping to taper THAT later on down the line. I don't like being on another drug but I would have to assume it will be much easier to ditch than the Lexapro, later on. Anyway, how is your itching? Because I want to get off the Claritin, I did a of research last night and found something called the histamine diet; some members here have used it: 

It could be worth a look - cuts out foods that are high in histamine, which it seems you already have plenty of. I started this diet today after noticing that both beer and kombucha flared my itching; fermented items (which I adore and usually tolerate quite well) are very high in histamine. Also, there are a few supplements that are supposed to have antihistamine effects: stinging nettle, quercetin and butterbur. I am currently taking the first two but I can't say I've noticed a difference yet. They could be worth a shot! Wishing you wellness, please update on how you're doing with the itch. 

LexAdvice -

Thank you for reaching out to me.  My itching hasn't improved.  I have tried every antihistamine and some of them help but they also have side effects.  The biggest one is the fatigue and tiredness I feel the day after I take it.  The allergiest also put me on Pepcid AC.  He said it helps with the hives and redness I get from scratching.  This morning I decided to try 1/2 Clartin because the first time I took the whole tablet it made my anxiety worse.  

I have noticed that when I don't take any medicine that the histamines my body is over producing makes me incredibly tired. 

Thank you for the link you provided.  I am going to look into the histamines foods.

I have now been off Prozac for 27 months.  I have noticed some things improving, some things staying the same and new symptoms that appear.  It is very frustrating after being off Prozac for over two years that I continue to have new withdrawal symptoms.  The newest symptom is the itching and hives I have been dealing with since August.  I have tried various antihistamine and even Pepcid AC. The allergist I went to told me that Pepcid helps with hives.  Some of the antihistamines help, but I don't like the side effects they give me.  I even take a pediatric dose of the medicines.  If I don't take the antihistamines then my itching is awful and I have hives.  I continue to pray that these symptoms improve and go away.

The other symptom that continues to really bother me is the feeling that I just don't feel like myself and something is missing.  I can't even say what is missing besides the false since of happiness I got from being on Prozac.  I thought maybe the feeling was grief after my golden passed away a year ago, . We got a new golden in October and I still have this same feeling.  It feels like an emptiness.  It's hard to explain, but all I can think is it is either something to do with withdrawal or menopause.  I have friends in menopause and they don't feel like something is missing.  So that brings me back to withdrawal.  It is so frustrating waking up like this every morning.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Any suggestions on anything that helps you?

• Mentor

I have now been off Prozac for 27 months.  I have noticed some things improving, some things staying the same and new symptoms that appear.  It is very frustrating after being off Prozac for over two years that I continue to have new withdrawal symptoms.  The newest symptom is the itching and hives I have been dealing with since August.  I have tried various antihistamine and even Pepcid AC. The allergist I went to told me that Pepcid helps with hives.  Some of the antihistamines help, but I don't like the side effects they give me.  I even take a pediatric dose of the medicines.  If I don't take the antihistamines then my itching is awful and I have hives.  I continue to pray that these symptoms improve and go away.

The other symptom that continues to really bother me is the feeling that I just don't feel like myself and something is missing.  I can't even say what is missing besides the false since of happiness I got from being on Prozac.  I thought maybe the feeling was grief after my golden passed away a year ago, . We got a new golden in October and I still have this same feeling.  It feels like an emptiness.  It's hard to explain, but all I can think is it is either something to do with withdrawal or menopause.  I have friends in menopause and they don't feel like something is missing.  So that brings me back to withdrawal.  It is so frustrating waking up like this every morning.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Any suggestions on anything that helps you?

Hi O2BH,

oh yes, I have that emptiness too from time to time. It will fade, don't worry!

I too lost the false sense of happiness that I had when I was on lexapro. It's funny, it wasn't  true happiness and I knew it at the time, but I recall liking it and I do miss it.

it will get better

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Your comment "feel like something is missing" describes it to a T!  It is only now, that my head is starting to be a lot different.  It is very hard to describe and quite surprising.  I just felt dead for so long (I called it in my batcave) where everything just was not real.  I have been having days now where I get up and look out the window and it just looks "different" - real, alive or something (like waking up after a dull, dark, dreary dream).  It's very hard to describe!  It is definitely w/d.

The only way I coped with it was to just "push on" and force myself to do the normal, daily things I should do, like get dressed, make the bed, do what housework I could, cook a meal, walk when I could, exercise when I could.   I guess I just "put up with it"!  

You have the hope that yours too, will improve in time.  It is good to try and remember that during this time your brain is healing and in your case, at least you are still not taking the poison!

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

3 minutes ago, grandmaD said:

Your comment "feel like something is missing" describes it to a T!  It is only now, that my head is starting to be a lot different.  It is very hard to describe and quite surprising.  I just felt dead for so long (I called it in my batcave) where everything just was not real.  I have been having days now where I get up and look out the window and it just looks "different" - real, alive or something (like waking up after a dull, dark, dreary dream).  It's very hard to describe!  It is definitely w/d.

The only way I coped with it was to just "push on" and force myself to do the normal, daily things I should do, like get dressed, make the bed, do what housework I could, cook a meal, walk when I could, exercise when I could.   I guess I just "put up with it"!  

You have the hope that yours too, will improve in time.  It is good to try and remember that during this time your brain is healing and in your case, at least you are still not taking the poison!

It is very frustrating and hard to believe you can keep getting new symptoms.  My anxiety did not really kick in until the 3rd year and just got worse and worse every year after that.

Rapid pulse didn't kick in until the 3rd year.  It is still in the 100's mostly and the 90's some

Indigestion is another one that kicked in in the 3rd year

Insomnia is another that kicked in in the 3rd year

Tight chest another one kicked in 3rd year

Sore heads kicked in 2nd year

I had the itching thing all along, mostly at night and at times got worse, but not like yours.

I also had burning sensation and "prickles" sensation like stinging nettles that went for weeks at a time and would come and go and was intolerable.  These didn't kick in until several years down the track also.

I really only started getting fatigue (so that I could do nothing but rest) this last year.

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

• 2 months later...

As of February 28th I have been off Prozac for 2 1/2 years (30 months).  It is hard to believe that I have made it this far.  It has been a very difficult and emotional journey.  I am still dealing with symptoms from my withdrawal.  I have a new symptom that developed at the end of August 2017 and I am wondering if it could be withdrawal.  I developed itching skin and chronic hives.  I have been to my doctor and an allergist.  I have had a bunch of test run and they all came back negative.  No doctor can tell me what is causing my hives.  They call it chronic idiopathic hives.  The allergist told me to take antihistamines and that should help.  Well,  I have tried every antihistamine and all of them cause me side effects.  After taking various antihistamines for six months I decided to stop them and just try and deal with the hives.  Has anyone else experienced hives in withdrawal and if so has anything help?  I am desperate for help finding out what is causing my itchiness and hives.  Thanks in advance for any help.  

• Moderator Emeritus

O2BHappy,

Congrats on making it so far.  The passage of time will continue to see improvements for you.

Skin conditions are all too common in withdrawal.  See the following thread:

I believe that SSRIs were derived from antihistamines in the first place and that is part of the reason why we can respond in a bizarre fashion when we take them for "normal" issues.

I would love to be able to say, "just be patient -- you will heal from the hives" but I don't really know.  I assume that to be the case as I assume it is from withdrawal, but I can't be sure of course.

I think staying away from antihistamines is a good idea.  

Perhaps you can try these instead?

https://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-hives.html

Best,

Andy

O2BHappy,

I'd suggest you also check out the thread on histamine intolerance:

Hives are common with this. Diet and stress reduction are both very important for dealing with the effects of too much histamine. There are references to some good sites on the thread.

Antihistamines deplete DAO, which is an enzyme that helps to break down histamine. Which means the more you take them, the more they cause the symptoms you are trying to treat. There is no definitive blood test for HI. Instead, you try lowering histamine in your diet and see how you feel. Most doctors have never heard of HI and therefore, have no idea how to treat it.

You'll see in the thread that there are some supplements and herbs that can be supportive. For many of us, changing diet is the first course of action. Supplements may or may not come later.

I've been dealing with HI since I jumped off 3 1/2 years ago. It's much better than it was, but I still eat carefully and take a couple of supplements that have proven useful. Good luck.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah!  What she said!

Good response, Freespirit.  Much more knowledgeable than mine!

Best,

Andy

23 hours ago, apace41 said:

O2BHappy,

Congrats on making it so far.  The passage of time will continue to see improvements for you.

Skin conditions are all too common in withdrawal.  See the following thread:

I believe that SSRIs were derived from antihistamines in the first place and that is part of the reason why we can respond in a bizarre fashion when we take them for "normal" issues.

I would love to be able to say, "just be patient -- you will heal from the hives" but I don't really know.  I assume that to be the case as I assume it is from withdrawal, but I can't be sure of course.

I think staying away from antihistamines is a good idea.  

Perhaps you can try these instead?

https://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-hives.html

Best,

Andy

Andy,

Thank you for the congratulations.  It is certainly something to celebrate.  

Thank you for providing the "skin issues" link.  I am going to read through it.  

I gave it my best effort taking every antihistamine that I was told to try.  My body was obviously against me taking them.  I even tried a quarter of a Zyrtec and I had side effects.  The allergist couldn't understand why I was so sensitive to the antihistamines.  

I understand that you cannot tell me if and when these hives will go away.  I am trying my best to "accept" them but I am finding that difficult right now.  I am tired of itching every day of my life, but I was also tired of being nauseous for fifteen months, and that cleared up.  

Thanks again for responding and providing some resources for me.  

22 hours ago, freespirit said:

O2BHappy,

I'd suggest you also check out the thread on histamine intolerance:

Hives are common with this. Diet and stress reduction are both very important for dealing with the effects of too much histamine. There are references to some good sites on the thread.

Antihistamines deplete DAO, which is an enzyme that helps to break down histamine. Which means the more you take them, the more they cause the symptoms you are trying to treat. There is no definitive blood test for HI. Instead, you try lowering histamine in your diet and see how you feel. Most doctors have never heard of HI and therefore, have no idea how to treat it.

You'll see in the thread that there are some supplements and herbs that can be supportive. For many of us, changing diet is the first course of action. Supplements may or may not come later.

I've been dealing with HI since I jumped off 3 1/2 years ago. It's much better than it was, but I still eat carefully and take a couple of supplements that have proven useful. Good luck.

Freespirit -

Thank you very much for providing the histamine intolerance link. 

For some reason it doesn't surprised me that what the doctors suggested I take to help the hives was making them worse.  What exactly is DAO?  I wonder why the doctors recommend the antihistamines if they depleted the DAO.  

How long after changing your diet did you start noticing improvement with your hives?   I think I will start with changing my diet before I try to introduce supplements.  My body still doesn't like it when I take a multivitamin.

Thank you again Freespirit for responding to my link.  I have become very frustrated with the hives.  What is weird is that they started after 2 years of being off Prozac.  I didn't think that it could be withdrawal.  I assumed it was something in my environment or something I was eating.  All the allergy test that I had done come back negative for any sort of allergy, which is good.  My allergist wants me to go to the dermatologist and get a skin biopsy done. I don't think that is going to show anything.  I think I will cancel that appointment and start with changing my diet.  

I am sure that I will be reaching out to you as I start on the low histamine diet.  

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, O2bhappy said:

I think I will start with changing my diet

I suggest you keep a diet diary.  Over Christmas I got hives a couple of times and had to think back to try and figure out what may have caused it.  I'm still not sure but have a couple of suspects.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Freespirit -

Thank you very much for providing the histamine intolerance link. 

For some reason it doesn't surprised me that what the doctors suggested I take to help the hives was making them worse.  What exactly is DAO?  I wonder why the doctors recommend the antihistamines if they depleted the DAO.  

How long after changing your diet did you start noticing improvement with your hives?   I think I will start with changing my diet before I try to introduce supplements.  My body still doesn't like it when I take a multivitamin.

Thank you again Freespirit for responding to my link.  I have become very frustrated with the hives.  What is weird is that they started after 2 years of being off Prozac.  I didn't think that it could be withdrawal.  I assumed it was something in my environment or something I was eating.  All the allergy test that I had done come back negative for any sort of allergy, which is good.  My allergist wants me to go to the dermatologist and get a skin biopsy done. I don't think that is going to show anything.  I think I will cancel that appointment and start with changing my diet.  

I am sure that I will be reaching out to you as I start on the low histamine diet.  

I hope it helps you. I had many other symptoms besides the hives. A lot of them started to improve quickly, within the first few weeks of changing my diet. I will still occasionally get hives, but that typically takes a number of things coming together--food, stress, being more emotional, and time of year. But I never take an antihistamine. I rely on Vitamin C and quercetin as they are natural antihistamines, as well as eating carefully and a whole lot of meditation.

DAO is an enzyme; it helps break down histamine in the body. Most doctors probably wouldn't know about it. And of course, their answer to everything is simply taking another drug to treat the side effects of the first one. Sorry, but I'm extremely cynical of the medical profession. There are very few doctors that have heard of histamine intolerance, let alone know anything about it.

It's hard to know why it would happen to you after 2 years. But it may have been a number of factors coming together, some of which you may never be able to identify. The diet can be pretty boring, but it's better than feeling awful. Feel free to reach out if you have questions. I'm not an expert, but know which things have been helpful to me. Best of luck to you. I hope the change in diet can be helpful. And keeping a diary can be useful. Some people react to certain high histamine foods, but not others. That's been the case for me. Also, if I'm going to consume anything higher in histamine, it's best done early in the day.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 6 months later...
On 3/10/2018 at 7:02 PM, O2bhappy said:

As of February 28th I have been off Prozac for 2 1/2 years (30 months).  It is hard to believe that I have made it this far.  It has been a very difficult and emotional journey.  I am still dealing with symptoms from my withdrawal.  I have a new symptom that developed at the end of August 2017 and I am wondering if it could be withdrawal.  I developed itching skin and chronic hives.  I have been to my doctor and an allergist.  I have had a bunch of test run and they all came back negative.  No doctor can tell me what is causing my hives.  They call it chronic idiopathic hives.  The allergist told me to take antihistamines and that should help.  Well,  I have tried every antihistamine and all of them cause me side effects.  After taking various antihistamines for six months I decided to stop them and just try and deal with the hives.  Has anyone else experienced hives in withdrawal and if so has anything help?  I am desperate for help finding out what is causing my itchiness and hives.  Thanks in advance for any help.  

I have this aswell, I'm off Prozac just over 2 years and it started 8mths ago. Especially bad during period. I tried antihistamine and had a bad reaction. Sorry you are suffering 

• 3 months later...
  • Mentor

hi O2bhappy

just wondering how you're doing

I hope all is well with you!
:)

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • 1 month later...

Today I celebrate being off Prozac for 3 ½ years (42 months).  Every month on the 28th day I quietly celebrate my accomplishment.  My husband will ask me why and I say because it was a journey to get to this moment in time and it deserves to be celebrated. 

I still suffer with withdrawal symptoms.  The two that are currently bothering me the most are the olfactory hallucinations and the itching/hives I get.  I have noticed that the olfactory hallucinations are worse when I am stressed or anxious. The phantom smell is not pleasant at all.  It wouldn’t be bad if my brain was processing the smell as a baked apple pie, but instead it smells like sewage.  I do my best to allow the smell, but it is difficult when the smell makes you nauseous.  The itching/hives are still the same as when I got them 1 ½ years ago.  I do take an antihistamine when the itching is really bad.  I end up having to take one every couple of days.  I do have other W/D symptoms pop up and I just deal with them.  It amazes me that after so many months off Prozac that I can still be dealing with withdrawal.  Sometimes I get very angry when I have the awful “smell” in my nose or the other symptoms because it reminds me that I took the “poison” for so many years. 

I am in a better place now and have learned a tremendous amount about myself going through withdrawal.  I remember in the beginning of my withdrawal, when I was at my lowest I would reach out to this forum and ask for help.  I can remember all I wanted was to feel better.  I wanted someone or something to make it all go away.  I remember getting advice telling me to “allow” these symptoms I was feeling and I remember thinking that was terrible advice.  I have come to find out that was some of the best advice that was given to me.  ALLOW.  You may not like the things that you are feeling, but allow them. 

Do you have adverse reactions to medications? I'm 2 and a half years off and have an awful time when trying supplements or anything. I am anemic and need iron it it puts my system into chaos. Also can't tolerate oral antibiotics and had 2 infections recently and had to have iv which I tolerate as in don't get fatigue or internal pain but it puts my system crazy for weeks, anxiety becomes awful and severe head pain. I really fear not tolerating incase it's permanent. Any advice appreciated 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Bluebird2009 -

I have noticed that I am sensitive to medications.  When I take my medications for the itching/hives I only take 1/2 a pill because 1 pill causes increased side effects.  I only recently started to take vitamins again.  They haven't seemed to cause my any problems.  I had to take an antibiotic in December and didn't appear to have any problems with it.  

I have a tremendous amount of constant anxiety, but I do not believe it is from any medications.  I think it is a combination of withdrawal and life events.  

Not sure I was able to help you.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

9 hours ago, O2bhappy said:

Bluebird2009 -

I have noticed that I am sensitive to medications.  When I take my medications for the itching/hives I only take 1/2 a pill because 1 pill causes increased side effects.  I only recently started to take vitamins again.  They haven't seemed to cause my any problems.  I had to take an antibiotic in December and didn't appear to have any problems with it.  

I have a tremendous amount of constant anxiety, but I do not believe it is from any medications.  I think it is a combination of withdrawal and life events.  

Not sure I was able to help you.

Thank you, yes knowing that sensitivity is normal is a help. My anxiety is probably due to what I've been through and life events and also my hormones are crazy. One last question has the sensitivity to medication decreased with time or stays the same?

Bluebird2009 -

It is hard to say if the sensitivity to medicine has stayed the same.  Today will be a good test for it because instead of taking 1/2 of my antihistamine I had to take a whole one.  My itching is extremely bad today.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi O2bhappy, 

So you celebrated being off Prozac for 3 1/2 years on Friday. Were there balloons involved? I love balloons.🎈🎈🎈😁

I was just wondering if you’re on a low histamine diet for the hives and itching? Have you ever been on one? Has it helped if you have?

Wishing you all the best with your continued healing.💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.