SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ O2bhappy: 9 months off Prozac - does it get any better?

O2bhappy

keepinghope -

The grief has been difficult to deal with.  When we lost our first golden I was on Prozac and actually had to up my medicine after her death.  With this grief I have nothing numbing the pain and feeling of sadness. 

Where did you find Valerian essential oil?  I am willing to try it and see if it helps me. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

dowdaller -

Thank you for the good vibes.  I agree that time does help but you know when you are having a bad wave that you just want it to end.  It is like you can only take so much.  When my golden passed away it sent me over the edge. She was my comfort and my "crutch" and now I feel like I have nothing.  I wish there was a quick fix to how I am feeling, but I know there isn't. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

I got my Valerian from a supplier in the UK, but I've just had a quick google and these 2 suppliers in the US come well recommended: Mountain Rose Herbs and Plant Therapy, although there's probably loads more, and there's always Amazon, or maybe even a local health food shop or something. 

For just smelling them from the bottle you only need a small amount, 5ml or less, I think my bottle is 2ml. The prices get quite steep for 10ml up! Valerian has a bit of an odd musky smell, but I really like it now. Wouldn't go so far as to use it as a perfume though!

Aroma diffusers are really good - a friend has one of the ones that uses water to diffuse the essential oil/s, and changes colour as well. It's very relaxing, think it's called a Zenbow. I'm putting it on my Christmas list :) 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

keepinghope -

Thank you for the information on the valerian essential oils.  I am going to look into purchasing some.  How long have you been using it?  How did you find out about the valerian essential oils?  I have used essential oils in the past.  I have diffused them and also applied them to the bottom of my big toe.  I went through a period when I was using them daily and then gradually stopped using them.  I need to start making that part of my routine.  I wasn't certain that it was helping me because I didn't notice any changes, but maybe it was helping. 

I am bad about doing something on a continual basis.  I think if it doesn't work after a couple of days I give up.  I know that is the wrong attitude to have, especially during withdrawal.  I know I should be meditating everyday and I don't.  I have read research where meditation done on a daily basis helps, but for some reason I give up too quickly.  Maybe that should be my New Years resolution...to not give up or give in.  Something to think about. 

Hi O2, I've been using the Valerian during my latest flare up with the sciatica pain (probably last 3 weeks), which I was getting really anxious and distressed about.

I did a herbal course not long ago which was primarily about dried herbs and such, but we went a little bit into essential oils/aromatherapy as well, so I got a kit together of oils, which had some valerian essential oil in. Hadn't used the kit much, but then remembered Valerian is anti-anxiety when inhaled (our first day the tutor had it in a diffuser, to relax us at the start as we were all nervous and had the usual 'tell us about yourself' introductions to get through, and it really helped.) 

So I thought it might help me get through the pain a bit better. I didn't really expect it to work as well as it did. I had to inhale it for 10mins+ sometimes though, depending how much pain I was in, then I would become calm enough to get some sleep.

If you've got a diffuser that's a great way of doing it. It's an acquired smell though, just to warn you! I think some aromatherapists only use it in blends with more florally oils because of that. 

I think if you can find the right oils for you then aromatherapy can be a good way to change your mood, I'd have to dig my notes out but I know it's something to do with the limbic system. I think some other grounding/calming oils are Frankincense, Vetiver, Rose, Roman Chamomile (love the smell of this!), Lavender etc. 

I've never tried the big toe thing - will give that a go. 

Sometimes I think just the routine of taking some 'me' time to do something nice for yourself like that once a day or even just once a week can help, putting a few drops of essential oil in with your bath salts or something. But I'm just as bad for giving up on things too quickly. I haven't been able to get on with meditating at all. I can't concentrate enough, and it just becomes something I dislike and resent doing, and when it comes to that it can't be helping much. 

I'm going to take my own advice for a change and am off to have an epsom salt bath now, with a few drops of some nice essential oils in it. 

Gosh, we'll be 15 months off soon, I hope things start to turn around for both of us soon. 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

keepinghope -

Thank you for all the information about the essential oils.  I was going to see if I could find the Valerian oil at a local store.  I want to make sure it is something that I could tolerate before purchasing.  I need to get out the roller ball of essential oils that I have and start to use them and see if I get any relief from the anxiety. 

It is hard to believe that we are coming up to 15 months.  I would have never thought it would have been this hard or long.  I also hope that we both start to feel better soon. 

I have had a couple really low points this week.  I have broken down and cried uncontrollably and yelled because I put myself in this situation.  I made that choice (the easy fix) to take the Prozac and here I am 14 months after getting off of it still dealing with old and new withdrawal symptoms.  I know my body is healing, at least that is what I hope is going on.  I just wish it would heal quicker.  Day after day of not feeling gets old.  I try to remind myself that things could be worse, but then I think that things could also be better. 

The anxiety I have is still constant.  I sometimes wonder if it isn't from withdrawal but my original anxiety coming back.  I try to remind myself that I shouldn't be upset about having anxiety.  At least it is something that I can do something about, but then I get anger not wanting to have to deal with living with anxiety.  I think why can't I just walk into a store and enjoy my time instead of worrying about how I am feeling.  I have been dealing with anxiety for over 20 years, you would think I would have a handle on it. 

I could really use some encouragement right now.  I have been really having a rough couple of days.  Between grieving for my golden and the intense anxiety it is making for some bad days.  I keep having melt downs where I cry and just want to throw things.  What is going on with me.  This isn't normal for me.  I am tired of not feeling well.  I know I have made progress but right now I just feel stuck.

Any encouragement and prayers are much appreciated!

• Moderator Emeritus

Crying "for no reason" after losing someone important is completely normal. So is anger. Almost five years after losing my sweetheart, I still have moments of wanting to hurl something at the wall.

Do you have any dishes or flowerpots that are cracked?  Could you get some old dishes/glassware from a thrift store?

Balled up socks, maybe?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

keep going it will pass, sending hugs

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

scallywag -

Thank you for reminding me that what I am going through is normal.  Today marks 6 weeks since my golden passed away.  It has been very hard and painful. 

I like your idea of balling up socks to throw.  That way I won't hurt anything.  I am going to try it.

My anxiety levels have been through the roof.  Is this normal part of w/d?  My therapist said she believes it is my original anxiety coming back.  I hope that isn't the case.  When I had anxiety before it was situational, like going to the mall.  Once I left the mall my anxiety would go away.  Now it is constant.  I can be sitting outside watching birds and I am anxious.  Does this get better?

dowdaller -

Thank you for the hugs.  I greatly appreciate them.  Sometimes you just need encouragement. 

How do you enjoy your life when you are feeling so bad physically and emotionally?  I wake up everything morning thinking it is a new day and I hope for a good day and that I am feeling well.  Then reality sets in and I still feel the same.  For some reason I feel like I need to feel well to be happy.  This isn't helpful considering I have felt so bad for so long.  It is really taking a toll on me and my family.  Any suggestions on how to enjoy life while you are going through withdrawal? 

Every time I feel a symptom during the day it brings me down.  It is a constant reminder of what I did to myself by taking this medicine. 

15 months ago today I stopped taking Prozac.  Instead of celebrating this accomplishment I feel like I want to hurt myself.  I have been having these feelings throughout withdrawal but lately they have been bad.  I have thought about hurting myself everyday for the past couple of weeks.  Is this a normal part of withdrawal.  It is very scary to have these feelings.  I haven't told anyone.  I don't understand why I am having these feelings so far out of stopping Prozac. 

Can anyone offer advice or suggestions on how to get through these thoughts.  I would greatly appreciate it. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi O2B

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad at the moment.  You might want to consider Journalling - Therapeutic Writing & Health Benefits

Hopefully other members will offer some suggestions and support to help you through this rough patch.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

It is very normal to feel like that.  Aside from your having come through a very difficult time, the drugs actually increase the liklihood of feeling depressed and even suicidal.  It's another of their side-effects, and it also shows up as a withdrawal symptom. 

However, just because it's normal doesn't make it any easier to deal with.  CC's idea of journalling is a very helpful one, and if you have a close friend whom you trust perhaps you can talk with them.  When I've been in times like that I try to think 'ok, I'm having rough days, so I need to pull back and set up some really supportive self-care around me.'  I plan my days with that as the main focus, and let everything else slide back a bit. 

I might create a lovely morning by laying out my clothes the night before, all ready to put on after a nice hot bath with epsom salts.  I'll prepare some comfort food to eat during the day (so I at least have meals to look forward to).  I may plan to watch a movie, or maybe have a gentle walk in the garden.  I think to myself 'I'll probably need to cry today,' so that if/when it happens, it's just part of the healing plan.  I also keep in mind that neuro-emotions might be playing their games with me, and I find that quite comforting as it can explain a lot! 

Physical distractions can also help.  When I was in danger of self-harming my counselor suggested running ice along my arm.  It's strangely soothing and distracting.  It gives you something to do, without being harmful. 

You can also use gentle yoga to reset your feelings.  Lying on your back with your legs up the wall is very soothing, and works to reset your nervous system.  From Peaceful Dumpling:  'Legs up the wall can foster a meditative state and reset the nervous system. Intended as a deeply relaxing pose, partnering this posture with slow, deep breathing will trigger your “rest and digest” nervous response.'

I'm so sorry these feelings are with you O2b, because I remember so vividly what it's like.  Please hold on to the truth that at your core you are a lovely and loveable person, strong and capable, and deserving of so much goodness in your life - goodness that will be coming more and more the further you get away from the drugs and w/d.  Picture this self, so that you don't fall into seeing only the difficult feelings that are there. 

With love and hugs,

Karen

x

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I have had a couple really low points this week.  I have broken down and cried uncontrollably and yelled because I put myself in this situation.

Please forgive yourself, you didn't know any better back then

The anxiety I have is still constant.  I sometimes wonder if it isn't from withdrawal but my original anxiety coming back. 

It is highly likely the anxiety is w/d and not your original condition.  I also struggle with this stinking anxiety, it is very uncomfortable and I just want to feel calm and GET RID OF IT!  At times I entertain thoughts of going on the Endep the last drug that was suggested to me to help that.  I never had anxiety before, as I was put on Paxil for pain, and never had anxiety before, so it's not some "original condition" coming back but DEFINITELY W/D.

I try to remind myself that I shouldn't be upset about having anxiety. 

Good idea!  I try this too, doesn't always work, but still probably helps to tell ourselves we can put up with it, things will get better, tomorrow is another day, etc!

At least it is something that I can do something about, but then I get anger not wanting to have to deal with living with anxiety. 

I get annoyed also!  I have to do relaxation and breathing exercises twice a day at least because of it and they don't always help when it is sky high.

I think why can't I just walk into a store and enjoy my time instead of worrying about how I am feeling.  I have been dealing with anxiety for over 20 years, you would think I would have a handle on it.

I wonder if anyone ever gets a handle on anxiety????

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

ChessieCat -

Thank you for the journal suggestions.  I have been journaling for about a year.  It does help some.  It is just difficult because these thought that I have hit me like a wave.  Nothing triggers them, they just happen.  It is a scary symptom.  I tried to tell myself that this is just a symptom and it isn't how I actually really feel. 

KarenB -

Thank you for all your suggestions.  I am going to try the ice trick.  Maybe that will provide me with some relief.  I tend to focus on the thoughts that I am having and not on distracting myself.  That is probably doing me more harm then good. 

Thank you for the information on yoga.  I am going to try it. 

I never thought I was a negative person but going through withdrawal has certainly made me this way.  I tend to look at every symptom negatively and I am sure that isn't helping.  Thank you for reminding me that I have goodness in my life.  That is a much better way of looking at things.  I am very critical of myself and need to learn self compassion, just difficult during this period of withdrawal.

I thank you for the encouragement.  It is great appreciated.   

grandmaD -

I am sorry that you are also struggling with anxiety and an anxiety you got from medicine.  It gives me hope thinking that this awful anxiety isn't my original anxiety but the withdrawal.  My anxiety was never this bad before I went on Prozac.  This anxiety is constant and never ending, my anxiety before was situational.

I also do breathing exercises to try and calm my anxiety.  Not sure how well it helps, but at least when I do them I am focused on my breathing and not the current anxiety that I am having. 

My hope is that we can get a handle on the anxiety.  It amazes me how many self help books they have on anxiety.  I have read some on panic attacks, but when you are in the throws of a panic attack it is hard to implement what you have learned. 

I had a wonderful experience over the weekend where my internal shaking stopped.  I felt a calm that I had not felt since all this withdrawal started.  Is this what a window feels like? 

Today I woke up with the internal shaking back and all sorts of strange head sensations/feelings.

Anyone experience chest pain during withdrawal.  The past couple of days my chest has been hurting. 

I have also noticed that my respiration rate has slowed down.  For some reason I have become very aware of my breathing.   Not sure if it is from the meditation that I have been doing. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I had a wonderful experience over the weekend where my internal shaking stopped.  I felt a calm that I had not felt since all this withdrawal started.  Is this what a window feels like? 

OH THAT MUST HAVE BEEN SO NICE!   I HOPE I CAN EXPERIENCE THAT SOME DAY -  SOON!

Today I woke up with the internal shaking back and all sorts of strange head sensations/feelings.

I would love to hear if it you experience the calm again.  Had you eaten anything different?  Drank anything different?  Done anything different?

Just read your next post - yes, I have experienced chest pains - 3 times so excruciating that we got an ambulance each time.  I've had shooting pains and aching in my chest.  I now put it down to muscle cramps or spasms in that area.

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

grandmaD -

It was a wonderful two days not having the internal shaking.  I have not experienced the calm again.  I didn't change anything.  I just woke up and felt calm.  It was actually a weird feeling because I have become so use to having the internal shaking.  I even found that I had a slower respiration rate.  I am praying that I get that feeling of calm again. 

Yesterday I was very anxious and anger.  I hate the feeling of being angry.  I was never an angry person before I went on Prozac.  I went from being angry one minute yesterday to crying.  Ugh.

The one thing I miss about being on Prozac is that false happiness and I don't care attitude. 

I read a saying somewhere..."If your happy and you know it thank your meds"  I can understand why that rings true for me.  I wish I could find that some feeling without medication.

How long did your chest pains last? 

A false happiness accompanied by a " don't care " attitude. I get that .

In time happiness comes back .

Yes , Like grandma I was carted off to Emergency. Nothing was resolved , except given adenosine  IV. Shot to the heart - not pretty. 

Just more of the W/D symptoms. I hope they resolve in time.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

AliG -

I am glad to hear that happiness comes back.  I hate all the ranges of emotions and not one of them is happiness.  I hate that every day seems to be a struggle.  I know I am blessed with what I have but I hate these symptoms of withdrawal.  I really wish I could do something to help these symptoms.  I know it just takes time but it is just frustrating. 

I am also dealing with menopause.  I have days when I am not sure if withdrawal is causing the symptoms or menopause.  I guess it really doesn't matter what is causing the symptoms I still have to deal with them. 

I have days when I can't wait to go to bed to just get some relief.  I am fortunate I can sleep a little while until the hot flashes, night sweats and insomnia kick it. 

grandmaD -

Yesterday I was very anxious and anger.  I hate the feeling of being angry.  I was never an angry person before I went on Prozac.  I went from being angry one minute yesterday to crying.  Ugh.

I can now relate to this also because of the other issues going on in my life now.  I have not felt angry for probably 20 or more years while on paxil!  I agree, it sure is a horrid feeling and the hard part is how to deal with this emotion that we have not had for so long and I am finding it overwhelming and not sure how to deal with it!

The one thing I miss about being on Prozac is that false happiness and I don't care attitude. 

How sad we are!   Like you, I told my husband I think I need go back on the drug so I can't feel anything!

I read a saying somewhere..."If your happy and you know it thank your meds"  I can understand why that rings true for me.  I wish I could find that some feeling without medication.

The other overwhelming feeling is the anxiety and there all day every day and is very horrible also.  I have been doing my exercises again mid morning and it is helping a bit, but sometimes I can do them 3 times over and it doesn't help.  Now even the anti-anxiety pill is re-bounding on me and making it worse, so I'm back to chamomile tea...

How long did your chest pains last? 

The extreme ones lasted 7-10mins.  I really thought i was a gonna!  I was kept under observation 24hours hooked up to machines and they said it wasn't my heart.  I asked Dr. if it could be w/d and he "didn't know"...

The aching can be there all day ranging from mild to moderate (I always thought it had to do with what I ate but don't thinks so now because IBS has improved in last few months) 

At times the aching is really bad and my husband will give me a massage and I think now it has to do with muscle cramps.

How bad are yours and how long do they last?  How often do you have them?  I would put it down to w/d but if you are really worried you can always go to Dr. and have an ECG done.

You sound like me!  Can't wait to get to bed at night but then when I get there I cannot sleep!!!  AAAAGGHHH!!!

grandmaD -

I am not sure how to deal with these emotions either.  On Prozac I was just happy go lucky.  Now I seem to be in a constant state of anger.  I am very short tempered and everything gets on my nerves.  Nothing makes me happy.  There is something to be said for not feeling anything.  Nothing bothered me.  It was wonderful, but I know that isn't real life.  I just wish that some of this anger that I carry around every day will go away.

Your right...the overwhelming anxiety is awful.  It is one thing to have situational anxiety it is something completely different to have constant anxiety.  What type of exercising are you doing?  I am sure that I could benefit from exercise. 

My chest pain was/is constant.  I am thinking it is more of a tightness.  I am sure it is cause by the withdrawal and all the anxiety catching up to me.  I still have it but it isn't as bad as it was.  It is all across my chest and not in one specific area.  Maybe I just need a good massage.  :)

When I was on Prozac I slept great, maybe I slept too much.  Now I hardly sleep.  I spend half the night adjusting the covers because of hot flashes and night sweats.  Not sure if they are from withdrawal or menopause.  When I was on Prozac I would have one hot flash at 10:00pm.  Now I have them all the time.  Before I get one I usually get this weird feeling come over me.  Sometimes it's intense anxiety other times intense sadness.  There are days when I can have 4-5 hot flashes in a thirty minute time span. 

I know that the constant anxiety, internal shaking and anger are caused from withdrawal.  My question is does it get better over time.  I hate having constant anxiety and being so angry all the time.  The littlest things upset and anger me.  My baseline stress level is through the roof.  I long for a moment of calm to come over me.  I feel like a prairie dog on alert.  My body doesn't get a chance to relax.  I am not even sure that I am relax when I am trying to sleep because of the insomnia. 

grandmaD -

I am not sure how to deal with these emotions either.  On Prozac I was just happy go lucky.  Now I seem to be in a constant state of anger.  I am very short tempered and everything gets on my nerves.  Nothing makes me happy.  There is something to be said for not feeling anything.  Nothing bothered me.  It was wonderful, but I know that isn't real life.  I just wish that some of this anger that I carry around every day will go away.

What type of exercising are you doing? 

Breathing and relaxation.  Twice a day normally and when the anxiety is high at least 3-4 times a day!

My chest pain was/is constant.  I am thinking it is more of a tightness.  I am sure it is cause by the withdrawal and all the anxiety catching up to me.  I still have it but it isn't as bad as it was.  It is all across my chest and not in one specific area.  Maybe I just need a good massage.  :)

I think the tightness is w/d as I get that across the top of my chest.  Massage does help.  You could try a hot pack and/or nice hot bath!

When I was on Prozac I slept great, maybe I slept too much.  Now I hardly sleep.  I spend half the night adjusting the covers because of hot flashes and night sweats.  Not sure if they are from withdrawal or menopause. 

My insomnia is getting worse and worse each year and lately has been 3-4 hours awake which makes me so tired next day and don't cope.  Same here, no trouble sleeping when I was on the the paxil.  I get cold at night and then pull up the covers and then too hot!  Then I am too hot and toss them off and get too cold!  I'm not sure either if that is from w/d or menopause

When I was on Prozac I would have one hot flash at 10:00pm. Now I have them all the time. 

Maybe it is w/d then.  I get them through the day too, but they are not so bad now.

Before I get one I usually get this weird feeling come over me.  Sometimes it's intense anxiety other times intense sadness.  There are days when I can have 4-5 hot flashes in a thirty minute time span. 

Oh boy, that must wear you out!

I know that the constant anxiety, internal shaking and anger are caused from withdrawal.  My question is does it get better over time. 

Good question!  I would sure like to hope so!  I have had the internal shaking since being on paxil and all through the years of tapering and worried my nerves are damaged and will never improve.  It is one of the symptoms I really hate.  I have noticed it does go from mild to moderate to high at times and sometimes quite extreme.

I hate having constant anxiety and being so angry all the time. 

Yes, the constant anxiety is pain, another symptom I have trouble trying to "accept" and tolerate!  I try to keep my mind busy during the day and do jig saw puzzles and if I can't do them I watch videos.

The littlest things upset and anger me. 

I can remember being like this and especially when I had bad heads and would be clumsy and I would get very angry over little things.  I have been much better lately, so perhaps that gets better with time. 

My baseline stress level is through the roof.  I long for a moment of calm to come over me.  I feel like a prairie dog on alert.  My body doesn't get a chance to relax.  I am not even sure that I am relax when I am trying to sleep because of the insomnia. 

I am not angry all the time anymore, and sorry you have to put up with that, it must be intolerable.  I do feel like I am no alert thought, nerves on edge and cannot relax and little things can scare me easily.  The other thing that I try so hard not to think about or worry about, but is HUGE ISSUE is that I go to bed stressed out and dog tired, do my relaxation and breathing exercises and begin to relax when SUDDENLY the ANXIETY ramps up and the palpitations start banging and thumping and this is so distressing!  Do you experience that also?  so I usually start all over again with the exercises (which takes 30mins) and so on!  Very frustrating!

Praying that your anger thing subsides soon!

grandmaD -

I really need to get back into the habit of mediation.  I stopped doing it because I thought it was helping but maybe it was and I didn't realize it. 

I think I will try the hot bath for the tightness in my chest.  It sounds relaxing and maybe that is what I need right now. 

The insomnia is awful.  Last night I hardly slept.  It doesn't help that I had to stop drinking caffeine because it made my withdrawal so much worse. 

The hot flashes and then the chills is awful.  My body cannot make up its mind.  I never thought about the hot flashes being withdrawal but I have read about people having hot flashes in withdrawal.  I just blamed menopause.  I get them a lot and like every other symptoms some days they are easier to tolerate. 

I also have a very hard time "accepting" the constant state of anxiety my body deals with every day.  It is awful  I think it probably adds to my insomnia because my body just doesn't relax.  I would just like some relief from it.  I often think is this how I am going to live the rest of my life and it scares me.  I have had nights where the anxiety gets bad when I am trying to fall asleep, but for the most part I am so tired when I try to sleep that I can fall asleep pretty easily.  It is the staying asleep that is hard. 

I have been struggling the past couple of days.  I am greatful that my nausea has improved but I am so frustrated that I am getting new symptoms.  This week the smell hallucination that I have is really bothering me.  There is no accepting of that symptom.  I have also been dealing with a lot of head burning sensations this week.  How do you accept the fact that your head feels like it is on fire? 

I know we all have good and bad days, but the bad days are really bad and the good days are only slightly good.  I keep saying that I don't feel like myself and is that because I miss the person that was drugged?  I say I miss the "happy" me but someone told me that when I was on the Prozac that I wasn't happy.  Maybe then I miss the numb feeling.  I am not sure what I miss.  Maybe it is the person that didn't feel like crap everyday.  I know I had side effects from Prozac that I no longer had, but I think they were easier to deal with then withdrawal.  I looked online for the benefits of going off Prozac/SSRI's and could find anything.  The Prozac had stopped working for me years before I stopped it.  I kept taking it because my doctor told me I needed it.  I was forced to stop taking it when my body basically rejected the change in one generic from another.  Someone told me that was God's way of telling me to get off the medicine. 

I just miss the fun happy person I use to be and hope one day that part of me returns.  I am sure my family would also appreciate it. 

Thank you for the prayers.  I do greatly appreciate them. 

It sure is relentless, isn't it!  I try and remember that with each passing day I am at least one day closer to the end!  But it is so turtle-slow! 

I have found it is a difficult chore to try and balance what I do with rest.  Too much doing causes stress and worse anxiety but when the palpitations are high, I think I need to do something, like walk, to match the fast rate, besides which it is difficult to lie still when the anxiety and palpitations are high. 

The insomnia is a difficult one.  I don't think this sleepytime tea helps much, it takes me up to 2 hours to get to sleep and then I wake every 1-2 hours, is that what happens with you also?  Then do you have trouble getting back to sleep?  I find at the 4am mark it is the most difficult, if not impossible time to get back to sleep.  At least I have never drank coffee, coke-cola or alcohol and so not had to give them up.  I wonder do people suffer w/d from caffeine if they stop their coffee??

It's pretty weird isn't it, you struggle with one lot of symptoms, only to have them improve, like your nausea - only to have another set of issues!  it seems like if it's not one thing, it's another.

What's the smell hallucination?  That is one thing I don't have!  As for your head burning, I don't have that either, but get headaches, sore heads, pressure heads and a head banging sensation and vibrating sensation in the head.  Like other things, one will improve while another one of these issues gets worse, it is so frustrating.  Have you tried a cold pack for you head burning?  have you done a search about it?

It seems like many of us think when we get a symptom it is here to stay forever - especially when you have had it for years and years, but I too have experienced some of them improve and when they return, get scared I have it forever again!

I think i have got used to who I am now!  It is hard to remember who I used to be.  I do know I'm a lot more boring now!  Eventually we will return to who we were, perhaps a little different, much more wiser about what we put in our bodies, more compassionate towards others, etc.  Hopefully we will be better people!  I will certainly keep praying for you! 

grandmaD -

I tried to remind myself of the same thing, but some days it doesn't provide any comfort. 

I am fortunate that I can fall asleep, it is the staying asleep that is the issue.  I wake up every hour.  Some nights I can fall back to sleep and then others I am wide awake.  I also have that 4-5am waking up and then I can't fall back to sleep.  I also notice that when I do sleep it doesn't seem very restful.  I seem to dream a lot more and they are not pleasant dreams. 

People do suffer withdrawal from stopping caffeine.  Usually they get headaches.  I also do not drink alcohol so that was one less thing to give up.  I drink decaf coffee and decaf soda, if I drink any soda.  I drink a lot more water and tea.  Some days I will drink a little caffeine but then I notice my shaking is worse.  

I know they say there are wave and window patterns, but I seem to be stuck in a wave.  I am very fortunate that my nausea has improved but like you said then you have all these other symptoms to deal with.  I would think that this far out from stopping the medicine that I wouldn't be getting new symptoms.  Ugh.  I am over 15 months off of it.

The smell hallucination is where I smell something that doesn't exist and no one else smells it.  I have had it over a year.  It seems to be worse lately.  It is awful.  I cannot describe the smell other then to say it is awful.  Sometimes I even smell cigarette smoke and I don't smoke.  I had a brain MRI in March and it came back clear.  I pray that it goes away and every day I wake up and there is that awful smell.   I haven't tried a cold pack on my head burning.  It feels like it is on the inside of my head and not my actually head.  I haven't done any research but I guess I should.  Right now it is burning.  Maybe it is my brain trying to heal itself. 

I do get scared that it is going to be like this forever.  I am feeling that way right now.  It is an awful feeling and an awful way to live. 

I need to learn to accept who I am now.  I am just having a very hard time doing that because I don't like the person that I am.  I still miss the carefree me.  I am beyond frustrated dealing with withdrawal. I know we all are.  How did I get past the frustration?  How do I celebrate that I am almost 16 months off the medicine?  All I seem to do is dwell on how bad I feel. 

I have noticed that I do not have the uncontrollable crying.  I still cry sometimes, but not like I did before.  Does this mean my brain is healing?