☼ O2bhappy: 9 months off Prozac - does it get any better?

O2bhappy

I am having a rough day today.  I actually slept pretty well last night, but woke up very sad and crying.  I have been crying on and off all day.  I have had no desire to get off the sofa and do anything.  I don't even feel like pushing myself to do anything today.  This is not a pattern that I want to get in. 

I have also been feeling scared today and having thoughts that I won't get any better.  I know that is just my mind telling me this, but it doesn't make it any easier. 

Could use some encouragement today.

Thank you!

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

Hello O2b

Just sending you a big hug over the internet!

So sorry you are having a bad day especially after sleeping so well last night. Sleeping well has to be a step in the right direction though doesn't it?

You know, you have been very strong to get through all this. I have read posts from those in a similar situation to you who have got better.

Hold on to this to get you through the tough times. Although it is scary it is not permanent but it will take more of your strength to get through it.

We are all here for you, supporting you and wishing you healing. You have done amazingly well so far - you can do this.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Moderator Emeritus

When you are lying on the couch, try to picture a small part inside you that is okay.  Even with all the rubbish that is swirling round you right now, that small part is still there.  It's not going away. It's the strong part - it's you.  And as you heal it will get bigger, and the swirling bothersome w/d will get smaller.   

There is goodness, O2b,

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Flowers -

Thank you for the hug!

I believe sleeping well is a step in the right directions, but unfortunately I slept terrible again last night. 

Some days I just don't feel like I have the strength to get through it.  I start thinking about my future and it scares me.  I know I should be living my life now and not worrying about the unknown and the what if. 

Thank you for your support and encouragement.  I am really needed it right now.  Some days I am great at giving support but right now I am feeling like I need support. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

KarenB -

Okay...I burst into tears reading your comments.  To think I have a part inside me that is strong and that is "me" gives me such hope.  I haven't felt strong going through all of this, but I guess I have been to make it this far.  I cannot wait for the swirling bothersome withdrawal to get smaller. 

Thank you so much for your comments and kind words. 

Flowers -

Thank you for the hug!

I believe sleeping well is a step in the right directions, but unfortunately I slept terrible again last night. 

Some days I just don't feel like I have the strength to get through it.  I start thinking about my future and it scares me.  I know I should be living my life now and not worrying about the unknown and the what if. 

Thank you for your support and encouragement.  I am really needed it right now.  Some days I am great at giving support but right now I am feeling like I need support.

Hi O2b - sorry you had a bad night again - you were probably still distressed from the day you had had. Did you manage to do anything today?

xxxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Flowers -

I did manage to take a walk yesterday.  It was good to be outside enjoying the beautiful sunshine.   I am going to try and get out today and walk.

I woke up this morning feeling very weeping.  I hate this feeling of sadness.  I am also really missing my golden retriever who passed away 17 weeks ago today.  It seems like it was just yesterday.  My heart aches for her.  I keep thinking my life would be so much better if she was still alive.  I know that doesn't help me. 

I don't understand what is going on with me.  My emotions seems to be better months ago.  I just had a 20 minute meltdown where I cried and screamed because I am so upset.  I am upset for several reasons.  1. Why did I take Prozac for so long and allow myself to get into this situation. 2. I am really missing my golden retriever, who passed away 17 weeks ago today. 3. I have become scared about everything.  I don't really want to leave my house.  I need to run errands but I am scared.  I am starting to feel panicky, which is why I went on Prozac in the first place. 4. I am upset that all my friends go about their lives all happy while I sit here and suffer.

I don't mean to complain because I know everyone on this forum is suffering, but I am just really struggling and I am in a bad place. 

Days like today make me want to go back on an antidepressants, which is not what I want to do.  I just want something that is going to make me feel better and take away this emotional pain. 

• Moderator Emeritus

To ease emotional pain:  Get some paper and write it all down, each sad thought, everything you hope for, every good memory you had with your dog. 

For a person who c/t'd after 12 years drug use, I'd say you are still in the middle stages of recovery.  This means there is every reason to continue hoping that further healing will happen!  Look at NZ11, and GiaK, and Alto and so many others. 

Write a plan to help you manage the anxiety/panic.  Try to include lots of different things, and then try to notice the early stages, when it's easier to deal with.  There are ideas here:  Non-drug techniques to manage emotional symptoms  It's stuff we all should learn as kids, but somehow society doesn't seem to place an importance on it.  But now, as an adult, you can bring these tools into your life.  Each time you get panicky, you can practice them.  Gradually you'll build up more strength than the anxiety has. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

KarenB -

I have been journaling and writing things down.  It does help, but some days are harder for me to journal. 

I know since I started this journey that I have improved and healed, but as you know when you are in the pits of despair it is hard to have hope.  I need to work on changing my negative mindset to a more positive one.  I should reflect on how far I have come instead of how miserable I may feel and how scared I am about the future.  I guess those are ruminating thoughts. 

I have never thought about writing a plan to manage the anxiety/panic.  My issue is I don't want to have the anxiety and panic and I just want it to go away, but I know none of us want to have it.   I try to allow those feelings but then I get angry because I have dealt with panic and anxiety for half my life, you would think I would be good at dealing with it.   I do have coping strategies I use but sometimes in the heat of a panic attack or anxiety I forget those strategies.  I know things could be a lot worse and I should be grateful that my biggest struggles are dealing with panic attacks and anxiety, besides the withdrawal.  I am just stuck and cannot get passed being frustrated that I cannot just go out and have fun, instead I deal with feeling panicky and having anxiety when I go out.  Sorry for venting.  I am just frustrated. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I know.  It is frustrating, especially when it's been a life-long issue. 

I find having plans worked out makes it easier to 'nip it in the bud' and then you can avoid dealing with full-blown anxiety.  Brassmonkey wrote this thread called Dealing with Emotional Spirals - you might like to read through it with anxiety in mind. 

I remember having quite a breakthrough when I started practising what I think of as a positive technique.  It involves starting from a place of joy - which does require some imagination to begin with.  So you imagine the way you'd love to be able respond, if you'd never had any trauma, as if you were really on top of your game.  Obviously it doesn't always work, but I found that it worked sometimes, and that was enough to begin creating new brain pathways with. 

One day things will start to shift.  I know it's hard to see it when you're in the stuck place. 

8 month hold.

KarenB -

I am still struggling and feeling stuck.  I think it is because I just don't feel like myself, but I know myself "or the old me" doesn't exist anymore because that me was on Prozac.  I have been feeling very weird lately and it is very hard to explain.  I have no desire to do anything and I would be very happy just sitting and staring off into space.  If I didn't write things down that needed to get done I would get nothing accomplished.  This isn't brain fog, because I had this before.  This is almost like my brain isn't working.  My thyroid levels are off and I am not sure if that is making it worse.  I am having a hard time focusing on anything.  I have a I don't care attitude, which isn't me.  I don't have any excitement about anything. 

Yesterday I ran an errand and while I was in the store I just felt like I was going through the motions.  I didn't feel present, actually I didn't even feel like I was in the store.  It was very weird.

It is very hard to work on my anxiety, panic and fear when I feel this way.  How can I start from a place of joy when I currently am not experiencing any joy. 

• Moderator Emeritus

To somebody who was simply trying to manage anxiety I'd say - that's where the imagination comes into play, or remembering a time when you did feel more able.  It's almost like playing a trick on yourself, to change the way things are happening for you. 

However, from your latest post it sounds like you have a lot more going on - a very strong de-personalisation/de-realisation, which would make it a lot harder to find those new paths.  From the thread

• Feeling panic. When a person first experiences DPD, he often feels as if he is going mad. Patients report feeling panic stricken, trapped "inside oneself" or thrown into an unfamiliar world they can't escape.
  • Lack of emotion. People with DPD describe feeling inhuman, like a robot or a rock. They experience a loss of spirit, "absence" of emotions, and no mood changes.
  • Feeling detached. People with DPD feel distant from others and themselves. Many describe the feeling of watching themselves, as if from above. Once-familiar objects seem strange.
  • Fixation/obsession. People with DPD repeatedly check their sanity. They sometimes fixate on the strangeness or foreignness of a single thought or object.
  • Abstract ruminating. People with DPD often dwell on the ideas of eternity and infinity. They think over and over about the nature of existence or the void and the dark mysteries of life.
  • Lifestyle changes. People with DPD are sometimes afraid to leave their houses or engage in activities that might trigger panic attacks. They stop traveling, talking to others, watching TV, even going to doctors.
  • Feeling possessed. People with DPD in some cases report feeling as if an evil entity has taken up residence inside their head, watching them and making negative comments.
  • Acting "as if." People with DPD suffer from not feeling that they are acting, but instead they have a strange feeling of "as-if acting." They feel that they "imitate" moods and expressions, as if trying to "act normal" around others. But they continue to feel like outsiders who aren't part of ordinary life.

If you read through the thread, you'll see how others have managed it.  It does go away along with the other w/d symptoms, but can be pretty scary when you're in it. 

8 month hold.

KarenB -

Thank you for sharing this information.  It has been scary having these feelings.  Reading the thread has helped and also knowing that it will go away has also helped. 

It amazes me that withdrawal can cause such weird symptoms.  Things I have never experienced or even heard about.  I am hoping that my body and brain can heal from taking Prozac for so long. 

Even though this has been extremely hard I consider myself one of the lucky ones for getting off Prozac.  There have certainly been times that I wanted to go back on an AD to just feel better, but I know that wasn't going to happen.  I am paying for the quick fix of going on Prozac in the first place.  I am looking forward to the time that all of this will be a distance memory. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my posts.  I greatly appreciate all your support. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today marks 18 months or 1 1/2 years off Prozac.  I cannot believe that I have made it this far in my journey to healing.  It has certainly been a struggle.  I am managing to have good days, but I still continue to have bad ones.  Unfortunately, today is a bad one.  I hardly slept last night and when I got up this morning I was very tired and felt very sad.  I feel like at any moment that I am going to start crying. 

I am still dealing with the smell hallucinations, hot flashes, night sweats, trouble sleeping, muscle weakness, anxiety, sadness/crying, and anger (a short fuse).  I am slowly getting better at allowing and accepting these symptoms.  Some days are harder then others to actually accept that you are not feeling well. 

I am trying very hard to use the coping mechanisms that I have learned from this forum.  It would be wonderful if I could just live my life and not worry about having to use a coping mechanism to get through, but that is where I am right now.  I am realizing that life is hard when you are actually experiencing life and you are not drugged.  I always say that life was much easier when I was on Prozac, but I know that isn't living.  I know I am much better off not taking Prozac. 

I want to thank everyone on this forum who has helped me get this far in my journey. 

I just dropping by to say thanks for your lovely posts and being there for me.  I am always thinking of you and I have only been able to read your post 226 and can say I thoroughly relate!  You just never seem to be able to "adjust"  to this process!  You would think I would be used to it by now after nearly 6 years!  I still feel like you - just want it OVER and feel angry, miserable and so on.  We just have to try and do the best we can I think.  Like you I think it would be nice to be able to plan to go somewhere and be up to it and then enjoy it when you go, etc!  One day .............

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

To ease emotional pain:  Get some paper and write it all down, each sad thought, everything you hope for, every good memory you had with your dog. 

I would like to add that writing a "goodbye" letter to your dog can also bring closure for you. x

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

I am still struggling and feeling stuck. 

I can understand you feel like this, it is most definitely w/d thoughts as I have this issue also and wasn't like that before

I think it is because I just don't feel like myself, but I know myself "or the old me" doesn't exist anymore because that me was on Prozac. 

I think we have to "find" ourselves all over again, as we have been on these crap drugs for so long!

I have been feeling very weird lately and it is very hard to explain. 

When I read your posts, it helps me to understand it has to be the w/d.  We have no idea really how much it affects our brain/emotions

I have no desire to do anything and I would be very happy just sitting and staring off into space. 

I love this post!  Totally relate! 

This is almost like my brain isn't working. 

Your right there - it isn't working - and that's the BIG PROBLEM for us!  We just have to do what we can.  this is hard to accept, but I think acceptance is the only way - but I know I sure haven't got that one right yet!

I have a I don't care attitude, which isn't me.  I don't have any excitement about anything. 

I have been like that for many years now, but recently started to have some pleasure but that has gone again now with these pressure heads back.  I never get excited either.

I just do the routine chores I set for myself all those years ago and can still only do those few chores each day, but at least I have been faithful doing them over the years.

Yesterday I ran an errand and while I was in the store I just felt like I was going through the motions.  I didn't feel present, actually I didn't even feel like I was in the store.  It was very weird.

You might find you experience this for some years to come.  I always said it feels like you are a robot, doing what you "know" is the "right thing/response" that is expected of you.  Still feel like that, actually.

It is very hard to work on my anxiety, panic and fear when I feel this way.  How can I start from a place of joy when I currently am not experiencing any joy. 

Just keep pressing on.... is about all I can say!  I wish I had some better answers for you  .... turtling on x

grandmaD -

Thanks for thinking about me.  I am also thinking about you and praying for you.  How do you get past the anger of feeling bad for so long.  It has only been 1 1/2 years for me.  I just want to wake up and feel great.  For some reason I have always correlated feeling good to being happy, so when I don't feel well I am not happy.  I know people that can be happy even when they don't feel well.  I have not mastered that skill. 

Thinking about writing a goodbye letter to my golden brings tears to my eyes.  I am still really grieving for her and I am not sure I could write a letter.  I think about her all the time.  Last night I was imaging her running to me in the kitchen and it warmed my heart.  She was such a comfort to me.

How do you get unstuck?  How do you go about finding yourself again?  I think that is the biggest struggle I am having. How do you find the desire to do things again?  How do we get the brain to start working again and being engaged?  

Thank you for listening and thank you for all the advice you have given me. 

I have been really struggling the past couple of days.  I am really feeling off.  I cannot seem to focus on anything.  I have pushed myself to do a few things but have gotten no enjoyment out of them. 

I also find it hard to focus on any task.  The other day I was folding laundry and after folding a couple of shirts I was done.  I didn't want to do it anymore, even though I still had most of the basket to fold.  It is like any task/chore that I need to do I can only complete a little bit at a time. 

Has this happened to anyone?  Any suggestions on how to get through it?

• Mentor

I have been really struggling the past couple of days.  I am really feeling off.  I cannot seem to focus on anything.  I have pushed myself to do a few things but have gotten no enjoyment out of them. 

I also find it hard to focus on any task.  The other day I was folding laundry and after folding a couple of shirts I was done.  I didn't want to do it anymore, even though I still had most of the basket to fold.  It is like any task/chore that I need to do I can only complete a little bit at a time. 

oh I thought I was the only one! yes I am going thru this now.

It's so weird.

I no motivation to do anything, but am forcing myself to do some things, even if it takes me a couple of days to finish them. I alos get no pleasure, not even that nice feeling of accomplishment, when I actually finish something.

this is very different from me, I used to be so happy to get a big chunk of  chores done, I even looked forward to doing them.

this is WD stuff for sure.

:/

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

I have exactly the same feeling. No excitement over anything but when something bad happens it causes great stress , I don't understand all the negative emotions there but no positive. And I been like this 2 and a half years . It does get better or we just learn to live with it ,Oh boy can't believe meds can do this to a brain

catnapt -

I hate that you are suffering, but so glad to hear that I am not alone. 

It is so hard to get anything done when you have no motivation.  I had to start writing list so at least I could remember what I needed to get done.  I remember feeling that sense of accomplishment when I would get something done, now I don't feel that way.  I would even be proud of myself for my accomplishment.  Now I can go all day without doing anything or getting anything done and not care.  How sad is that. 

doggiemama -

I can relate to the stress when bad things happen.  It is awful  I am the same way when something sad happens.  My emotions are all over the place.  Right now excitement doesn't exist for me.  I am sorry that you have been like this for so long.  I have been like this for 1 1/2 years.  It is so frustrating.  I hope it does get better and I also think we learn to live with it. 

They are powerful drugs and do mess with our brains.  I guess that is why it takes such a long time to heal and recover. 

grandmaD -

Thanks for thinking about me.  I am also thinking about you and praying for you. 

It is certainly a big help to know others are thinking of me and praying, I am eternally grateful.  You just never know how those prayers have helped, but we will one day.  I continue to keep you and others in my prayers as it seems that is about all I can do that is worthwhile.

How do you get past the anger of feeling bad for so long.  It has only been 1 1/2 years for me.

I have had anger on and off, so not had to cope with it on a daily basis.  My greatest struggle has been with feeling discouraged and disappointed.  Maybe depression, not sure but perhaps that is what I have had all this time! 

I just want to wake up and feel great.  For some reason I have always correlated feeling good to being happy, so when I don't feel well I am not happy.  I know people that can be happy even when they don't feel well.  I have not mastered that skill. 

I have wanted to wake up feeling happy also - every day and had hope each day that it would happen and I think when it didn't it when I get discouraged and disappointed.  I think I came to the point of not expecting anything, but just pushing on with each day hoping that ONE DAY IN THE DISTANT FUTURE things might change.  i think at some point you do come to just live with it.  You don't like it, you wish it would change, but you just live with it, day in and day out.

Thinking about writing a goodbye letter to my golden brings tears to my eyes. 

Perhaps you aren't ready yet, but in time you can do it.  In the meantime you have such lovely memories of her.  Our pets can be such a comfort, for sure.  Perhaps you could try and think what other things might be a comfort for you.  This was a big thing for me and I decided that a cup of tea was my comfort and I think it is important we find comfort in at least one thing!

How do you get unstuck? 

I wish I knew!  I guess finding a diversion (like jig saw puzzles) helps)

How do you go about finding yourself again? 

To be honest, I have given up wondering about this one, and just hope it happens in time!

How do you find the desire to do things again? 

Again, no answer, but I have determined each day to do what needs to be done, if it is like a robot, I just do it.

How do we get the brain to start working again and being engaged?  

I wonder if there is anything we can do - apart from trying various supplements, etc to see if they help, doing relaxation exercises, etc.  Just a process of time, I think.

Thank you for listening and thank you for all the advice you have given me. 

Well, now I just realised something WE CAN DO!  We can LISTEN to each other and that is precious!  And you are good at that!

I hadn't thought about this aspect too much as I have been doing it for so long now it has become a habit.  But yes, I have to do things in "bites".  You brought that to my attention just today as I realised this is what was going on with a parcel I have to send.  One day I looked for a card to send, the next day I found a bag to post it in, the next day I wrapped it up and today I wrote on the card and addressed the parcel!

grandmaD -

Thank you for the continued prayers.  I greatly appreciate them. 

I have also dealt with being discouraged and maybe that is where some of my anger is coming from.   How could we not be discouraged with everything that we are going through.  I also think that I have been very frustrated and that could also be where some of my anger is coming from. 

Even though I have been living with feeling like crap for 1 1/2 years I haven't gotten to the place where I am accepting it.  I am sure that is part of my problem.  I am done feeling bad and I can't do anything about it.  Like we have talked about before, I miss that happy go lucky person I was on Prozac.  I guess until I accept that person is gone I won't be able to move on. 

I was talking with someone last night and that whole time I was talking with her I felt off.  What I realized was I was having a conversation with her but I wasn't my usual happy and bubbly self.  That person is gone or maybe buried somewhere in side of me.  How do I get her back?

I like your idea of finding something that provides me with comfort, just like my golden did for me. 

I am sorry I was asking you so many questions about how to get unstuck, how do you find yourself again, how do you find motivation and how do you get your brain to get engaged again.  I am just frustrated and wanted answers.  I wanted a quick fix to my problem and I know there isn't a quick fix. I know I need to figure these things out for myself and I am not doing a very good job of it.

We can listen and I am always here for you and anyone else.  This is a journey and we need all the help we can get. 

Hi O2, well we've made it to over a year and a half in WD. I've been better in some ways, but worse in others. I feel like I've aged about 10 years in that time. Sending you lots of well wishes and positive thoughts.

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

Hi O2bhappy -

How are you doing today? Thinking about you!

I can relate to the feeling of wanting to be that happy go-lucky person again... it is definitely zapped out of me since this horrifying ordeal started. Do you feel any progression with your symptoms at all though? Has anything lessened or is it just the same?

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

keepinghope -

A year and a half..wow!  Can you believe it?  I agree I feel better in some ways, and worse in others.  I also feel like I have aged.  W/D certainly takes a toll on your body. 

Thank you for the well wishes and positive thoughts.  I greatly appreciate them.  I have really been struggling the past couple of days.  It is nice to know that I am being thought of during this struggling.  I am also thinking about you and praying for you as well. 

How have you been feeling?

anongrl5590 -

Thank you so much for checking on me and thinking about me.  I greatly appreciate it.  I have been thinking about you as well. 

I feel some progression, but I feel like the past couple of days I have gone backwards.  My internal shaking has returned and it is almost worse then before.  I also feel very detached and disconnected from people.  I even feel like a stranger in my own house.  I cannot explain it, but its weird.  I have never had anything like this before.  My body constantly seems in turmoil.  I am still dealing with crying, anxiety, panic, fear, hot flashes, smell hallucinations and all around just not feeling right.  Oh...I forgot insomnia. 

I keep trying to tell myself that this will get better.  I am not sure that I believe myself. 

How have you been feeling?   

Omg I'm so sorry :( it sounds like you are having DP/DR. I'm sorry to hear that things seem to go backwards... Do you get windows in between though? Like do you have symptom free days or partial windows?

I am not doing well either. I actually fainted 2 days ago most likely due to the overwhelming symptoms, insomnia, and dehydration. My mouth and throat are constantly dry and burning. Teeth are still hurting. The buzzing in my body is getting worse and my sleep went downhill again. I'm getting about 1-3 hours of sleep now instead of the 5-6 hours I was getting before. Also the songs looping in my head is just going nonstop 24/7. It's horrendous.

Feeling like I'm gonna be like this forever...I can't believe I am getting worse at 5.5 months out. I sometimes get windows for a few min or so but it's so brief. I am getting an MRI done this weekend to see if I have anything else going on besides WD. I pray I don't have Lupus or anything. Sorry to rant.

I reaaaally hope we both survive this. I want to see us happy and healthy again. Hang on my friend.

My medication -- Prozac
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)

Hi O2bhappy-

Just wondered how you are feeling today?

I woke up nauseous again. I give up lol...

Hope you have a great day. :)

I'm off to the chiropractor how fun is that?

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

anongrl5590 -

I don't understand why I would get DP/DR so far out off withdrawal.  It is very frustrating to get me symptoms.  Partial windows would be a good way to describe what I get.  I cannot remember the last time I felt 100% well.  Everyday it is something. 

I am so sorry to hear that you fainted.  Are you able to drink water and stay hydrated?  Did you go to the doctor since you fainted?  My sleep as gone down hill over the past couple of weeks.  I can fall asleep easily, I just can't stay asleep.  When I was on Prozac I slept like a baby, but not anymore.  I have had the song looping also.  It is awful.  It is like why does that happen.  How can going off Prozac cause a song to get stuck in your heard.  Another weird thing that has happened to me this past week is I have a desire to cut my hair.  Just to pick up a pair of scissors and cut my hair, like a 2 year old playing with scissors.  Why???  Isn't that the weirdest thing. 

Good luck with your MRI.  I had one a year ago because of the internal shaking.  Luckily, everything was normal.  Please let me know how everything goes. 

Don't apologize.  You are not ranting.  You feel bad and just want to feel better.  That is not ranting. 

We will survive.  It will just take longer then both of us want.  Being happy and healthy again would be wonderful.  You hang on as well my friend. 

Frogie -

I am feeling the same.  I slept awful last night so you know that makes things worse.  I would love to sleep again, like I did when I was on Prozac.  I slept great on Prozac.  I could even enjoy a good nap, not anymore. 

I am sorry to hear that you woke up nauseous.  I can remember when my nausea was bad and all I wanted to do was go to sleep and then I wouldn't feel nauseous.  But I would go to bed and I wasn't able to sleep.  Ugh. 

I hope you have a great appointment with the chiropractor. 

Hugs!

anongrl5590 -

I don't understand why I would get DP/DR so far out off withdrawal.  It is very frustrating to get me symptoms.  Partial windows would be a good way to describe what I get.  I cannot remember the last time I felt 100% well.  Everyday it is something. 

I am so sorry to hear that you fainted.  Are you able to drink water and stay hydrated?  Did you go to the doctor since you fainted?  My sleep as gone down hill over the past couple of weeks.  I can fall asleep easily, I just can't stay asleep.  When I was on Prozac I slept like a baby, but not anymore.  I have had the song looping also.  It is awful.  It is like why does that happen.  How can going off Prozac cause a song to get stuck in your heard.  Another weird thing that has happened to me this past week is I have a desire to cut my hair.  Just to pick up a pair of scissors and cut my hair, like a 2 year old playing with scissors.  Why???  Isn't that the weirdest thing. 

Good luck with your MRI.  I had one a year ago because of the internal shaking.  Luckily, everything was normal.  Please let me know how everything goes. 

Don't apologize.  You are not ranting.  You feel bad and just want to feel better.  That is not ranting. 

We will survive.  It will just take longer then both of us want.  Being happy and healthy again would be wonderful.  You hang on as well my friend. 

:( I am sorry to hear you are getting new symptoms. This whole process is just so weird and crazy and the non-linear part of it really drives me nuts! Everyday you don't know what is going to happen and the fear that things can get worse or new symptoms can come on is frightening. I haven't had the DP/DR but I am praying I don't get it. I am mainly suffering with physical symptoms and I hope it stays this way... 

Yes I have been able to stay hydrated and I drink water moreso now. My sleep is still broken too and I have to force myself to sleep. I now take a sleep aid called doxylamine succinate (you can get it OTC). I only take 1/2 or 1/4 of the tablet and it helps me knock out. But I always tend to wake up between 5-7am and then trying to go back to sleep always fails. Then I have to be up and ready because my body is running with too much adrenaline. I don't understand the song looping thing either...especially from Prozac. It is nonstop 24/7 for me... a different song throughout the day from the moment I wake up to the moment I sleep. It's truly exhausting and doesn't allow me to think clearly. Hmm that is weird also with the hair cutting urge. Maybe your impulses to do something are becoming stronger? I don't know really. I agree, it is very strange.

I just got my MRI done this morning. I should be getting results by next Tuesday. Hopefully it comes back normal. 

My medication -- Prozac