SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Recovery Success Stories from Around the Web

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes I rememeber Aeroman, he had a hard time but finally did recover.

Google " Aeroman lexapro " and you will find a fine update by Aeroman that he posted just last March! Pictures and everything!!!

Woo hooooooo!!!!!! SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Oh yes, I remember Aeroman too! I wasn't there long, but remember. I am so glad for him :)

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I look forward to posting my success story some day. I can't be certain it will be a recovery story because some things may be gone for good.

I don't think a success/recovery story means that one must be healed from all of their battle scars. For instance, if in 5 years I have a career, relationships, a purpose it won't be a failure if I can't go to loud or smokey places. Currently, I can not speak for long in loud restaurants due to pain and if I force it the speaking will cause a deterioration in the quality of my voice.

If I can no longer go to bars, concerts, live sporting events, nightlife spots, some restaurants or work the type of job that requires yelling, I still intend to post of my success and recovery.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Aeroman is very inspiring. I remember speaking to him when I started my withdrawal journey and he wasn't quite healed at the time, but his attitude and approach to it was always very hopeful. It's so good to hear that he finally made it.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Some of these are stories of living successful lives without psychiatric medication despite extreme diagnoses and some are recovery from psychiatric withdrawal syndromes:

Drug free recovery from depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc…

http://beyondmeds.com/recovery-stories/

Psychosis recovery: stories, information and resources

http://beyondmeds.com/recoverypsychosis/

Posted by permission of Gianna Kali.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 6 months later...

6.5 years for me sorry to say.

I'm new here, and reading these "success" stories.

You said 6.5 yr. but I see this post was made in 2011, and it's 2013 now. Would be very interested to hear how you are now, and others who posted two years ago.

I am new around here. I used to be on another site, and a few years ago you could find good success stories there. At the time I copied some of them, and saved them for myself. The following is from a gal named Molly. This was on a couple of sites, and re-posted around, and that was okay with here. Again, this is NOT my story, but it's a full recovery story:

It has been one year since i have ingested benzos or any other prescription drugs. I consider myself completely recovered and would like to offer hope to all of you still on this journey.

My journey began approximately four years ago when I began to taper off the antidepressant that I had been on for 15 years. I no longer felt I needed it and I was not sure if it was really working any longer. With my doctor’s blessing, I began a taper that only lasted one month. This was my first mistake of many that were to follow.

About one month off the drug I began to experience what I now can identify as a hypomanic state--insomnia, reckless behavior and spending, excessive talking, the life of the party, and rapid mood changes, irritability and inappropriate anger. Deep depression followed rapidly and my doctor mistakenly told me that I needed to go back on the Lexapro as my body definitely needed the drug to balance out my body chemistry. He used the “diabetic needs his insulin” talk to convince me I needed the Lexapro. The Lexapro however did not work when I reinstated and I continued to get worse and worse.

My mental health continued to decline and I could not sleep. This is when the doctor began to prescribe many different drugs with no washout period between drugs. i was given many different anti-depressants, sleeping meds,benzos, and antipsychotics. I would take one for awhile until it stopped working and then try another.

I continued to get worse and worse mentally and physically. I spent many days and nights crying and thinking I was truly losing my mind. I wanted to die many many times. I isolated myself in my house. My thinking became irrational and I was very paranoid. I developed akathasia, constant nausea, painful joints and muscles but the mental symptoms were the worst.

Finally, my doctor said he could no longer help me and steered me towards psychiatry. Another huge mistake!!! The psychiatrist then diagnosed me as bipolar 2 at the age of 52. He then c/t me off all the current drugs I was on and added Klonopin (as needed) and antipsychotics.

I continued to get worse and worse and I was now into 2 years of pure hell. I truly did not want to live anymore. I entered therapy to deal with my bipolar and that also was a huge waste of money as my symptoms and problems were drug induced, not related to a bad childhood.

I began to doubt the expertise of my psy doctor and began searching the internet for more info. I found this website and found a whole community of people who had all my symptoms and believed they might be caused by the very drugs that were supposed to help. It was then that i decided to get off the drugs. I was a very high functioning woman who excelled at my job for 30 years prior to this mess and I desperately wanted her back. I began to believe the drugs were my problem.

I found an integrative med doctor who believed in my assessment and supported me in getting off all my drugs. I started to eliminate all the drugs one by one until I was left with only Klonopin. I then did the valium taper. Make no mistake, this has been the most difficult thing I have ever done. It was hell!!! The entire taper was difficult and the first 10 months off all drugs were not any better.

But I started to have very brief windows about 4 months into the taper that kept me hopeful. I wanted to give up many many times but i always came to the forum for support and this is what kept me going.

My worst symptoms have been intrusive memories and thoughts, dark suicidal depression, and insomnia. The physical symptoms included muscle pains, nausea,hot and cold flashes, migraines, and brain zaps. The depression left for good at 10 months off and it virtually disappeared overnight.

What helped me recover? I have no idea if any of the things worked that I implemented but I will list what I did. i exercised throughout the taper (I ran 3 marathons), I practiced yoga and deep breathing exercises, I quit alcohol and all supplements, I tried EMDR and EFT. I forced myself to call my friends and be social even though I could not really connect with any of them. I read every self help book I could get my hands on. I did jigsaw puzzles as I could not concentrate on reading or following the plot of anything I would read. I spent days on the forum just reading and crying. I tried to keep my diet organic and healthy. I journaled my feelings daily. I practiced yoga and deep breathing. I prayed. I snuggled with my cats and cried. I truly believe that time is the greatest healer.

Fast forward to today. I awoke this morning with a deep feeling of gratitude and anticipation for the day. I went to coffee with friends, cross country skiing, tutored a student at the local school, picked up groceries at the store, and met friends for dinner. I enjoyed all the moments of the day!! My personality has returned and I am “myself” again. Last year at this time, I thought my life truly was over and I would live out my life in misery.

My message to all of you is that we all heal. Please allow your body the time it needs to repair all the damage the drugs has done to you. If at all possible, do not add other drugs or supplements to aid in your healing. At one time I felt a victim, then a survivor. Today I am thriving. You will also. I have absolutely no fear of the future anymore as I KNOW I have already been to hell and I made it to the other side.

Edited by Altostrata
added paragraph breaks for readability

• Moderator Emeritus

Altoid, I thank you more than words can say for the heartfelt and detailed post about Molly's journey through the hell of multi-psychiatric drug use and coming out whole and happy on the other side. Posts like this are what our members need to see, and even old-timers like me who are close to writing a success story. May God bless you richly for taking the time and making the effort to encourage others along this often scary and painful path!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have collected some success quotes here. But I don't recommend the site they're from, as you can tell from my introduction on the site lol. I think as time goes by and the longer this site is open, we'll get more success stories. When I'm over this, I will be sure to come write one.

I'm sorry to say that the web page Shanti referenced here is no longer available. I got a "page not found" error and an offer to buy the page.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 1 month later...

Some where I read a post from someone who said he/she had a bad wave at 5 yr. off, then all symptoms left and never came back, and it had been 2 years since, still fully healed. I cannot find that post. Does anyone know where it is?

• 6 months later...

I am new around here. I used to be on another site, and a few years ago you could find good success stories there. At the time I copied some of them, and saved them for myself. The following is from a gal named Molly. This was on a couple of sites, and re-posted around, and that was okay with here. Again, this is NOT my story, but it's a full recovery story:

It has been one year since i have ingested benzos or any other prescription drugs. I consider myself completely recovered and would like to offer hope to all of you still on this journey.

My journey began approximately four years ago when I began to taper off the antidepressant that I had been on for 15 years. I no longer felt I needed it and I was not sure if it was really working any longer. With my doctor’s blessing, I began a taper that only lasted one month. This was my first mistake of many that were to follow.

About one month off the drug I began to experience what I now can identify as a hypomanic state--insomnia, reckless behavior and spending, excessive talking, the life of the party, and rapid mood changes, irritability and inappropriate anger. Deep depression followed rapidly and my doctor mistakenly told me that I needed to go back on the Lexapro as my body definitely needed the drug to balance out my body chemistry. He used the “diabetic needs his insulin” talk to convince me I needed the Lexapro. The Lexapro however did not work when I reinstated and I continued to get worse and worse.

My mental health continued to decline and I could not sleep. This is when the doctor began to prescribe many different drugs with no washout period between drugs. i was given many different anti-depressants, sleeping meds,benzos, and antipsychotics. I would take one for awhile until it stopped working and then try another.

I continued to get worse and worse mentally and physically. I spent many days and nights crying and thinking I was truly losing my mind. I wanted to die many many times. I isolated myself in my house. My thinking became irrational and I was very paranoid. I developed akathasia, constant nausea, painful joints and muscles but the mental symptoms were the worst.

Finally, my doctor said he could no longer help me and steered me towards psychiatry. Another huge mistake!!! The psychiatrist then diagnosed me as bipolar 2 at the age of 52. He then c/t me off all the current drugs I was on and added Klonopin (as needed) and antipsychotics.

I continued to get worse and worse and I was now into 2 years of pure hell. I truly did not want to live anymore. I entered therapy to deal with my bipolar and that also was a huge waste of money as my symptoms and problems were drug induced, not related to a bad childhood.

I began to doubt the expertise of my psy doctor and began searching the internet for more info. I found this website and found a whole community of people who had all my symptoms and believed they might be caused by the very drugs that were supposed to help. It was then that i decided to get off the drugs. I was a very high functioning woman who excelled at my job for 30 years prior to this mess and I desperately wanted her back. I began to believe the drugs were my problem.

I found an integrative med doctor who believed in my assessment and supported me in getting off all my drugs. I started to eliminate all the drugs one by one until I was left with only Klonopin. I then did the valium taper. Make no mistake, this has been the most difficult thing I have ever done. It was hell!!! The entire taper was difficult and the first 10 months off all drugs were not any better.

But I started to have very brief windows about 4 months into the taper that kept me hopeful. I wanted to give up many many times but i always came to the forum for support and this is what kept me going.

My worst symptoms have been intrusive memories and thoughts, dark suicidal depression, and insomnia. The physical symptoms included muscle pains, nausea,hot and cold flashes, migraines, and brain zaps. The depression left for good at 10 months off and it virtually disappeared overnight.

What helped me recover? I have no idea if any of the things worked that I implemented but I will list what I did. i exercised throughout the taper (I ran 3 marathons), I practiced yoga and deep breathing exercises, I quit alcohol and all supplements, I tried EMDR and EFT. I forced myself to call my friends and be social even though I could not really connect with any of them. I read every self help book I could get my hands on. I did jigsaw puzzles as I could not concentrate on reading or following the plot of anything I would read. I spent days on the forum just reading and crying. I tried to keep my diet organic and healthy. I journaled my feelings daily. I practiced yoga and deep breathing. I prayed. I snuggled with my cats and cried. I truly believe that time is the greatest healer.

Fast forward to today. I awoke this morning with a deep feeling of gratitude and anticipation for the day. I went to coffee with friends, cross country skiing, tutored a student at the local school, picked up groceries at the store, and met friends for dinner. I enjoyed all the moments of the day!! My personality has returned and I am “myself” again. Last year at this time, I thought my life truly was over and I would live out my life in misery.

My message to all of you is that we all heal. Please allow your body the time it needs to repair all the damage the drugs has done to you. If at all possible, do not add other drugs or supplements to aid in your healing. At one time I felt a victim, then a survivor. Today I am thriving. You will also. I have absolutely no fear of the future anymore as I KNOW I have already been to hell and I made it to the other side.

Thank you Altoid for putting this story from Molly on here for us to read.  I began crying as I read it because I have been having some bad waves and feeling hopeless and ready to throw in the towel.  After reading this, I have hope again that I can be Molly some day.  I so really really needed to hear this. Thanks for sharing.

Sept-1990 started my first AD Zoloft never got higher dose than 50mg

Dec-1990 Quit Zoloft  =Nov-1995 Back on Zoloft for Post-partum depression/anxiety

early-1998 Quit Prozac to get pregnant   =Feb-1999 Back on Prozac 20mg

10-1999 Prozac 30mg  =12-1999 Prozac 20mg

7-2001 switch to Wellbutrin SR 100mg

8-2001 increase Wellbutrin SR 150mg

10-2001 adding back Prozac 20mg

5-2003 tapered off Prozac  =7-2003 back on Prozac 20mg

8-2003 Add in Imipramine 25mg then to 50mg    (given Xanax for bad panic episodes

9-2003 Imipramine 75 mg then to 100mg

1-2004 switch to Lexapro 10mg

8-2004 Lexapro 20mg, Imipramine 75mg

4-2006 Adding Wellbutrin 150mg then to 200mg

7-2006 switch Lexapro to Celexa

12-2007Celexa 40mg Wellbutirin 150mg

9-2009 switch back to Lexapro 20mg, WellbutrinXL 150mg

2-2010 stop Lexapro start Celexa 40mg

11-2010 switch Celexa to Cymbalta 60mg

3-2011 Cymbalta 60mg switch to Effexor 37.5 to 75mg

10-2012 thru 12-2012 taper Effexor 75mg to 37.5 and off.

5-2013 start generic Prozac 10mg to 20mg, Trazadone 25mg  BEGIN THE TAPER(6-2013 Prozac 20mg to 10mg, Trazadone 25mg. 7-2013 liquid Prozac 7mg, Trazadone 25mg 8-2013 liquid Prozac 8mg, Trazadone 25mg9-2013 liquid Prozac 5mg, Trazadone 25mg10-31-2013 liquid Prozac 3.25mg, Trazadone 25mg=11-11-2013 liquid Prozac 3.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-4-2013 liquid Prozac 2.8mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-13-2013 liquid Prozac 2.5mg, Trazadone 25mg=1-5-2014 liquid Prozac 2.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=(CURRENT/06-01-2014 LAST dose liquid Prozac, Trazadone 25mg)((Aug. 13, 2014 reinstate .20mg of liquid Prozac for crippling anxiety, dread (still on same Trazadone...)supplements are probiotic, Vit. D3 and Fish Oil daily)Aug 19th reinstate 6.25mg Zoloft, Sept. 4th 25mg Zoloft.CURRENT(50mg Zoloft, 25mg Trazadone)

• 2 months later...

Yes, indeed. Areoman's story was mentioned in this post:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2677-aeroman-picture-of-success/

The anonymity of the net makes it so difficult to find the successes after they have recovered and moved on. They drop from sight. That's why it's hard to give assurance to the ones looking for a guarantee that people do recover before they decide to take advice from people here. Some things in life have to be taken on faith and proof that you can have a manageable life while tapering is lost on many. Rhi, Karma, Alto, Hudgens, and others are doing just that. Even giak's story (which borders on miraculous) doesn't come to mind.

Giak, if you happen to see this, where is the link to your story? I found part of it (the one with pictures) but I thought there was another part. Wouldn't it be a good idea to post it as a topic here?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Bumping this post so I can find it for those who need encouragement. The link in the post still works, if you click on the screen names individually, it takes you to the post where there success story is.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1226-recovery-success-stories/#entry12887

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 3 months later...

I would like to see more recover stories here as well. For those of us that are still suffering, we need hope that more people are getting better.  I fear the norm is most people do not get well and I might be one of them. That makes it almost impossible to have hope when each day is pure misery.  

It is really hard to find many positive outcomes.  From what I have found, the percentages are very low for full recovery's.

Dec-1990 Quit Zoloft  =Nov-1995 Back on Zoloft for Post-partum depression/anxiety

8-2003 Add in Imipramine 25mg then to 50mg    (given Xanax for bad panic episodes

5-2013 start generic Prozac 10mg to 20mg, Trazadone 25mg  BEGIN THE TAPER(6-2013 Prozac 20mg to 10mg, Trazadone 25mg. 7-2013 liquid Prozac 7mg, Trazadone 25mg 8-2013 liquid Prozac 8mg, Trazadone 25mg9-2013 liquid Prozac 5mg, Trazadone 25mg10-31-2013 liquid Prozac 3.25mg, Trazadone 25mg=11-11-2013 liquid Prozac 3.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-4-2013 liquid Prozac 2.8mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-13-2013 liquid Prozac 2.5mg, Trazadone 25mg=1-5-2014 liquid Prozac 2.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=(CURRENT/06-01-2014 LAST dose liquid Prozac, Trazadone 25mg)((Aug. 13, 2014 reinstate .20mg of liquid Prozac for crippling anxiety, dread (still on same Trazadone...)supplements are probiotic, Vit. D3 and Fish Oil daily)Aug 19th reinstate 6.25mg Zoloft, Sept. 4th 25mg Zoloft.CURRENT(50mg Zoloft, 25mg Trazadone)

I AM GETTING BETTER!!!

And I'm not young anymore!!

I'm a 60 yrs old man...

I am i the classic roller coaster of waves and windows, but NOTHING compared to 1 year ago....

I wouldn't be here otherwise...

You have to understand that one of the symptoms of w/d is hopelessness and dispair...

EVERYBODY in these forums, have had the idea that they wont recover...

People DO recover; I am recovering.

Albeit slowly and painfully.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Hi Alex, thank

I AM GETTING BETTER!!!

And I'm not young anymore!!

I'm a 60 yrs old man...

I am i the classic roller coaster of waves and windows, but NOTHING compared to 1 year ago....

I wouldn't be here otherwise...

You have to understand that one of the symptoms of w/d is hopelessness and dispair...

EVERYBODY in these forums, have had the idea that they wont recover...

People DO recover; I am recovering.

Albeit slowly and painfully.

Aw Alex, thank you for sharing...

I'm exactly like you described: Hopelessness and Despair.

I swear that when I see an improvement I will post my whole story to help other...

I like to image that people recover so well that they get along with their life and forget this forum.

My problem is that I was put on Seroquel while on the worst moment of the Citalopran Withdraw. I didn't know that it could happen...

I took it for 5 years straight (after many going on and off)....

So scare that it is going to be like that forever... =(

After a long life (15 years) on and off antidepressants because of Anxiety and Panic attacks I decided to come off citalopram in November 2013...

01/14 - Citalopram 20mg - 0mg --> had severe symptoms and was diagnosed as Bipolar with rapide cycling and mixed state

02/14 - Seroquel 50 mg, Atenolol 25 mg 2xd, xanax 0.25 3xd

03/14 - Seroquel 300 mg, Atenolol 25 mg 2xd, xanax 0.25 2xd

04/14 - 05/14 Seroquel 400 mg, Atenolol 25mg 2xd, xanax 0.25 2xd

06/14 - 07/14 Seroquel 300 mg, Atenolol 25mg 2xd, Xanax 0.25 (reduced to 0.125)

07/14 - 08/14 Seroquel 250 mg (start to have anxiety and panic attacks again)

12/14 - Seroquel XR 300mg 200mg 50mg, Atenolol 50, Xanax 0.25 PRN

02/15 - 0 Of everything... 

I just ant to give some encouragement to newbipo and Fitby50. I believe myself to be a successful recovery story. I was on and off antidepressants for 15 years and am now 4 and 1/2 months completely AD free.

It is very possible to recover from antidepressants so please do not lose hope.

Please also remember that often the internet is full of horror stories and the people who have had an easy ride or have made a full recovery are less likely to post their story on the internet. I imagine that many people who have used this site to recover may wish not to come back on here to let others know how they are doing as maybe they just want to put the experience in the past?? 

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free

Thanks Alex and mogfish.  Good to hear that sufferer's are healing and feeling better.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Thank you to BeyondMeds.com http://beyondmeds.com/2014/10/14/down-the-antidepressant-rabbit-hole/ for this link.

Edited by Altostrata
updated link

• Administrator

Now the link works.

• 1 month later...

People who get well often do not report back. They do not want to be reminded of this hell they went through. It is the people who suffer the most who stick around.

NEVER lose hope.

I'm on may way back. It is not easy but i can feel that i'm getting there. Not much tapering left. After that i can begin the healing process. It may take many years.. I don't mind that.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mentor

does anyone know of anyone who could write their recovery story for this site I am sure we could all do with a happy ending!

I think I can.  But I am still recovering.  I believe I am a success story because I got my brain back, still addicted to seroquol, but coping. I am over the guilt, the anger, luckily got a son still at home who doesn't understand, but is a wonderful support.  He has gone to get takeaway, he has his licence now!  And luckily I trust him with my credit....  I think I trust him better than me using it the last few years.  Effexor was the worst, but luckily, perhaps, had to go back  on Zoloft to kick that, after a disastrous attempt to give up the effexor.  I have no reason to be depressed.  I live in Australia, finally got a disability support pension, got kids that I still see, and finally got a homeswest unit for my son and myself.  I was unemployable for a while.  Now got a small shop, but know I need time and space, so will maybe close for January, and if well enough reopen in February.I used to take a 100mg Seroquol every morning to get out of bed, so I didn't vomit. A friend arrived to take me to class (I decided to go back and study something)... So I reckon, going back on only 50mg of Seroquol to cope, is a pat on the back.  I have learnt to forgive myself, be kind to myself, and hopefully move on.  I lost everything with my addictions.  Except my self esteem.  Keep that, give yourself a pat on the back for even trying.  

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

Losing hope here....

I don't know if I can handle 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 years to recover....

I can't see to find if people do recover...

I don't know what to do.. My researches only come back with the worst outcomes... Irreversible brain impairments, long term AD associated with chronic depression (tardive dysphoria) ? How can somebody live trough this?

I need help and I don't know where to get it

I am more than happy to wait 4 or 10 years.   Every day is better than the last.  I am 55, and I will make it.  20 years of this stuff has destroyed everything but my self esteem.  I was healthy before this... lets hope I make it to 65.  If I do, the journey will have been worth it.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

• Mentor

Well I survived 2 years withdrawal from Effexor without knowing it, WAS CRAZY, after I first attempted to give it up... one quarter of a valium tablet, destroyed my chances........ but of course, luckily went back on  Zoloft, which I had previously given up, not due to side effects, but pregnancy............ and a mountain of other drugs..  Gave up everything, over a four month taper... Four months later got my damn brain back..along with sever withdrawals.....  they dont tell ya that do they?             so even though I am still suffering, the advice from this site has been a lifesaver, only had to go back on 50mg of Seroquol to cope.  So damn it, I reckon I am a success story.  

I am now cleaning the house (even emptied the vacuum cleaner today...never done that before, always something else more important in my stupid brain)....  Brushing my teeth every day...Actually thinking about what I need to prepare for dinner. Brain back, love it...

I will survive, never been suicidal in my life, but know I could be.......

• Mentor

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... Churchill

Everyone on this site is so damn strong.

• Mentor

Thankyou so so much... I think we have all seen hell, so now every day is a blessing.

As Paxil Progress is closing, I wonder if we could add some of the success stories from that site here? I don't have all of them but I have copied some and could paste them here.

If we added some here, this section would be bigger with more stories and this would give people hope.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

I believe some of them are already here.

See this and this.

You need to seek permission from the site owner to copy those stories I believe.

Why do you think making this section bigger would give people more hope? They will only have as much hope as they are capable of regardless of the size of this section. For a long time the only hope available was CG's story and that was enough. It is a fact of wd that people refuse to believe they will ever recover despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The most compelling stories are those of THIS site's members, not those of virtual strangers, IMHO, especially those who still periodically post here to help the newbies.

Sorry, CW. Sometimes people say they would like to see more success stories and I just thought perhaps it might be an idea to post some here.

There are some great success stories here.

My intention was to help others.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

• Administrator

Wow, this is a tough one.

I would very much like to see more success stories, they do indeed help people, and the more of them, the better.

The postings themselves belong to the posters, not the site owners. However, if the postings were attributed to the poster, maybe that would be ethically okay?

This topic is for stories from other sites: Recovery Success Stories from Around the Web

• Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I would love to see more success stories posted.  Like Altostrata said, if credit is given to the original post and original sit it appeared on, I don't see what the problem would be.

Maybe if posts from other sites are included, each post would just need its own little "bibliography" to give proper credit for where it first appeared.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Administrator

Good idea, WI. Please add such stories to Recovery Success Stories from Around the Web

Given this:
http://i.imgur.com/ioGE5UB.png

I'd be a bit leery of hosting stuff taken from paxilprogress, if posters from there want to post their content here that's probably the best bet - worst cases is probably just that it might have to be taken down of course but still it's a bit of a pain.

• Administrator

The site owner does not own the content. That's been established to avoid legal liability. The content belongs to individual posters.

As Laurie gave permission to copy whatever, I do not think she can make any claims at all regarding content copied and posted elsewhere.

• Administrator

Please post success stories you've seen on other sites here. Wherever possible, please attribute the success story to the screen name of the person to which it pertains. Thank you.