SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MoonFlower: Wanna Talk about withdrawal side effects and possible Lawsuit

MoonFlower

Hi everyone,

To make a short story, I have been on Effexor for a very short period. I had to stop it because of invalidating side effects. 48h after the last pills I have developed new effects, including the fact that I cant see straight, it is very difficult for me to read, my eyes burn, sting and twitch because they are so dry. I also have a bunch of other problems that comes and go.

As I have problem reading, I would like to know if anyone would want to talk maybe on skype about their experience. It is been 3 months since and my family and friends are getting tired of earring me complain about it and sometimes I am not even sure they believe me.

I would also like to know if anyone have official documentation about those long term side effects. I have my own business and I am loosing a lot of money every month. I want to build a lawsuit but every doctor I have seen says it is IMPOSSIBLE that my new health condition is related with the use of Effexor. But I only took it for 5 days and was very sick on the day after I stopped and woke up with eyes issues 48h hours after the last pill. Everything I have built in my life has crumble within 1 week!

I went to see an eye doctor and I have nothing else then chronic dry eyes witch could explain partly my bad sight but there is no cure for that.

anxiety and social phobia

February 2016: Only 5 days on Effexor 37.5mg

Stopped because sides effects: nervousness, insomnia, loss of appetite, terrible stomach pain, feeling high/being in fog

Symptoms that appeared 24-48h after the last pill; nausea, dizziness, headache, blurred vision, halo around lights, can't read, dry eyes, photo sensitivity, colors appear more vivid, crying spells, nightmares, strange dreams, diarrhea, insomnia, constipation, loss of appetite, dry skin, anxiety, drowsiness, increased sweating, eyes pain, eyes twitch, eyes burn, dry mouth, smell things more, taste less, taste more, muscle stiffness, feel drunk/high, jaw clenching, tip of finger burn, memory loss,

Current symptoms: All the above on an ON/OFF clock

Chronic symptoms 24/7: blurred vision, trouble reading, extreme photo sensitivity, complete dry eyes (need to use ointment), stomach pain, headhaches around the eyes, specially if I move my eyes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Moonflower, 

I am so sorry that you have found yourself in this situation.  I know of one other person with a similar experience.  She took Effexor for five days and 11 months later (last time we communicated), she was still impacted negatively after having an adverse reaction to it.  

Laura1981: Stopped venlafaxine (Effexor) after 5 days on...

You can post on this forum to see if anyone would want to skype or talk on the phone:

Would You Be Open to Being My Phone Friend?

I have had the severe dry eye problem on Effexor and in withdrawal, to the point that I went to an ophthalmologist about it, but drops for dry eye did nothing.  I've learned to read with one eye habitually because of this, since it affected my right eye the most.

I would say this is an adverse reaction and it will take time to resolve itself.  As for law-suits, I know nothing of how to proceed along those lines.  Peter Breggin is an author who has taken done lawsuit work: breggin.com

Let us know if you make any progress with a suit.

Here's a link for a thread discussing it:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5742-dry-and-painful-eyes/

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it means a lot too me.

Please let me know how long your dry eyes issue lasted. Its been 3 months now and I am starting to loose any hope.

My right eye is affected the most too but sadly its my "good" eye, as my left eye was already more photosensitive (now its 1000 times worst).

For law-suits, I haven't found any doctor that will admit that its related with the drug, even though I have no family history or haven't change anything else in my life and my eyes issues are listed on side effects! They all say it should be gone by now.

Stopped because sides effects: nervousness, insomnia, loss of appetite, terrible stomach pain, feeling high/being in fog

Symptoms that appeared 24-48h after the last pill; nausea, dizziness, headache, blurred vision, halo around lights, can't read, dry eyes, photo sensitivity, colors appear more vivid, crying spells, nightmares, strange dreams, diarrhea, insomnia, constipation, loss of appetite, dry skin, anxiety, drowsiness, increased sweating, eyes pain, eyes twitch, eyes burn, dry mouth, smell things more, taste less, taste more, muscle stiffness, feel drunk/high, jaw clenching, tip of finger burn, memory loss,

Chronic symptoms 24/7: blurred vision, trouble reading, extreme photo sensitivity, complete dry eyes (need to use ointment), stomach pain, headhaches around the eyes, specially if I move my eyes

• Moderator Emeritus

That's the trouble with these drugs - very rarely is there an immediate cause and effect.  The side effects creep up on us and we get "spellbound," as Peter Breggin calls.  

I'm trying to remember about my dry eye,  It got really bad a couple of years ago to where I went to an ophthalmologist, and that was before I went off Effexor.  I want to say months.  I still have a vague version of it, not bad but where I seem to want to close one eye while reading at bedtime.  But I can't really say it's dry eye now.  My right eye was badly effected with the left hardly at all.  I didn't have the photosensitivity like you are describing.  It would be ok during the day but become really uncomfortable ln the evening and at bedtime.  Lube drops did nothing for it.

It could go on for months, but will go away.  Come to think of it, I think it got bad like that when I got switched to immediate release Effexor by a new doctor here where we moved!  D'oh!  That's supposed to be taken twice a day but I was only taking it in the morning, like I had my XR!   Now it makes sense!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

it has been one year since my adverse reaction/withdrawal on a low dose of effexor xr.

Even though some things have improve I'm still very sick . Things got worse the first 6 months and I still have pretty much all withdrawals symptom here and there, like if I just had a terrible nervous shock.

My vision is still blurry all the time (very hard time reading, can't drive at night, severe dry eyes etc.)

But I have found tricks to make it bearable and I guess I'm starting to get use to it so I am not as mad all the time about the situation even I should still be.

The first thing I have notice when I got sick is that alcohol seem to make things worse ( the next days even weeks after I drink it). So I cut it completely as its terrible to feel like you have a fork stuck in your eye and can't remove it.

I been watching lots of video and many people says they quit alcohol even 2 or 3 years after getting ssri or benzo withdrawal.

I was wondering if anyone was able to start drinking again without getting waves.

I have to say I was a heavy drinker (a beer or two almost every day) before I tried effexor. It was my way to relax and release tension. I try SSRI because as I'm getting older hangover started to be worst so I stooped drinking every day and couldn't find a way to release the daily stress.

I really wish to know if anyone who had problem of waves after drinking was able to drink here and there without suffering terribly for days after a year or two or tree..  or is alcool will always be a trigger.

Beeing 100% sober specially in my condition is really hard on the moral.

Thanks for helping

Edited by ChessieCat
changed font size

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 years later...

Hi, I need a solution fast please. I'm the one who got an  adverse effect and severe like withdrawal symptoms from only 5 days of 37mg effexor. Well things got much better  after a few years but i stayed sensitive, after postpartum insomnia and a bout of stress and panic attack, I took a diclectin doxylamine b6 I had to help me sleep. 

Well I slept for 2 weeks with it, 12h the first 3 days, after a week and an half my left eye started shaking then I completely lost my short term memory out of the bloom, I started shaking non stop and lost my ability to read again. When I realized it might be a withdrawal I thought the worst was gone but no Im now on something I called an acid trip, I'm sensitive to light touch and sound crazy, I'm restless I have this vibration inside my body and head that gives me seizure like panic. At some point I took a little peice of an other diclectin and things did calm a little but got worst again. Now I have myoculus jerk every time I try to fall asleep so I barely sleep, I have these Terror feelings,

I m in a dead end,

I can't take more last time I try to take an 8th of a pill it gave me electric shock in my head and inside my nerves. Made me able to read again. I'm scared things will go downheel again. 

What would be my best option if it does in the next few days? Right now it's bearable but I might have to try benzo because I can't deal with that again. Like the vibration things makes you wanna die every second, and it's physically painfully as the head shake and you can't read or watch tv. Times goes slower, like not just because I'm sick it just goes  slower And severe nausea and dizzyness. And it last all day long, I still have it but it's not as physically painfull right now since I took a piece last time. 

I suspect my head got distabilise and now I can't get control over it. I don't know how I will react to pill if I felt electric shock last time with only a unisom. Please help me of you have any idea. I get Trigger by everything, touch movement, colors, stripes ect. I'm having bad thoughts.

• Administrator

Hello, @MoonFlower I'm sorry you're going through this, after seeming to recover from your earlier severe adverse reaction.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, MoonFlower said:

I'm the one who got an  adverse effect and severe like withdrawal symptoms from only 5 days of 37mg effexor. Well things got much better  after a few years

Please tell us more about your recovery from an adverse reaction to Effexor, this information is very important to others with similar situations. How long was it before you felt you turned the corner? When did you feel fully recovered?

On 5/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, MoonFlower said:

I took a diclectin doxylamine b6 I had to help me sleep. 

Well I slept for 2 weeks with it, 12h the first 3 days, after a week and an half my left eye started shaking

You took Diclectin for 2 weeks every night, then stopped? And about 10 days later you started to have these odd symptoms?

I noticed you asked about drinking alcohol up above. During this period, did you drink alcohol?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hi @Altostrata, about the effexor adverse reaction, yes things improved but I had 2 pregnancy after and every pregnancy I got more nervous and after birth because of the tiredness I hade waves back witch I had to stop eating refine sugar for a while to help. So probably if it wasn't for staying in a toxic relationship (witch I choose because I couldn't work after the adverse effect) I probably would be top shape by now but because of the all the stress I still had to sleep well and eat well to manage my symptoms. I also found ways to manage my dry eyes. If I wasn't so sick right now I could give more tips, like I remember founding something about adverse reaction saying to cut sugar, chocolate alcool ect. after and thinking I could of write it down myself. Basically effexor GAVE me general anxiety and panic disorder witch I didnd't had before.  So it took me a while to understand what was making it worse because I never had problems with those things before, horror movies, action movies, loud noises, sugar ect. Basicaly everything that made anxiety worse would make me worst. You still get waves and windows randomly but cutting down the anxiety and stress helps a lot. And you only have to do those things for a a few years after you can start living normaly again. While my worst symptoms of effexor where my vision, I realise now it's not the eyes the problem, but what it feel like my brain moving, it's like constant little brain shakes. And now I noticed it because it is a lot worst. Same after effexor I felt that I had bad vibrations that were not mine, but now I feel them very loudly in the head and plexus solar, and at his worst it gives me agitation athakisia. It's really the worst thing in the world. That and the myoculus jerks.

About my problem now, no I only took 1 pill of the diclectin, witch should of made me sleep for only 1 night but ended up making me have a very good sleep for days! I have to say I was already in a bad state at that point, I was already avoiding sugar and movies at the time because I had insomnia. To me it feels because my neurotransmitter were unstable, lake I did surcharge my nervous system witch was always left fragile after my adverse reaction. So I'm not a doctor, I can't explain what happened, the only thing I can think about is what that my psychologist that give me the other day a paper saying anxiety symptoms stays after the event is gone by conditioning and other biological process. To me it's like either my liver didn't metabolise fast enough the pill so I ended up being drowsy longer or my brain just sorta adjust to that by some biological process. Honestly I have no clue, I never expected it at first either so I can't say it psychochosomatic.  Right away when I took the diclectin I saw the lights much brighter, at the time I though it was because it made my eyes dryer but now I think it did raise my anxiety a lot, witch was already very high, maybe also because of the B6 with it. I was left sensitive to vitamins. so when the drowsy effect went away days later, I was left with crippling anxiety. 

But right now I really need help.

I got over the worst but sadly my nervous system is so wired every little stress and worry makes it worse. I ended up being functional again so I moved out because my partner was screeming at me and the children and that would gave me panic attack, witch where not a problem before but now it gives me agitation for days! so i need to avoid the panic attack. He's the one currently taking care of the children as I'm not stable. But the move and a crazy neighbour made me relapse and I have those jerks again witch prevent me to sleep and condition me to more insomnia. So now I'm back at square 1 almost but I'm exhausted I've been suffering for 3 months now. 

My family just want me to go take pills, but they don't understand I know they will make me worst. I have an addictive brain, and that was before effexor, I use to take drugs and alcool in my youth and did a lot of cold turkey withdrawal. Took me 7 years to start digesting normally when I quitted smoking cigarettes. Even the psychiatrist said it's not a good idea to take benzo if you have past addictions. 

They want me to take Seroquel, but on the myoclonus jerks forum, lot of people got their jerks from seroquel, it plays on dopamine, and I can't even eat sugary things right now, like I had notice when I eat sugar my vision improves for a while but it get's worst after, to me it feels like my brain just want more after. 

Specially those jerks did subside by themselves when I lowered my anxiety, I don't want to risk it.

The only things that help are being held or hugs and I have no family, I wish I could find someone to help me for a few weeks, I could pay, just to take care of the apartment and sometimes cuddle at night. I know it should be family and not a stranger but I have no one. When I first got sick I use to lay my head on my husband for 10 min and it help tremendously, but now I moved because he's like poison but I can't get back up by myself. I wish if someone from Montreal new someone who could help me for a few days or weeks.  

It stupid I went threw the worst and now I'm I fell right back on square one, I also have very bad emotions about the situation, I had to leave my babies behind, my mom and dad don't want to help me. I feel abandoned, I just wish I could have help. I don't think I'm gonna make it, Ill have to take pill witch considering my brain will most likely make me more sick and I won't be able to take it.  Because I went with my mom to see a psychiatrist and he said what happened to me after Effexor is not possible so my family think I don't want to help myself, they want me to trust the dr. and take pills instead of being there for me for a while. 

This is something similar with what I was talking about adverse reaction.

Antidepressants Facts: Surviving a Negative SSRI Reaction

It says  don't think when the better days arrive that you can charge your nervous system like you always did before.

Well that is what I did and now i'm stuck cause my nervous system is so sensitized I'm in an endless circle, I'm scared of all medication as my sensitised system can't take them and I can't do it myself.  Really back to square one today looking for exits.

After my adverse reaction it took about 2 years for most of the general anxiety to be gone, like I felt like myself again. But since then, when I used to lack sleep I got in brain fog, could never really start driving at night. But everything seems very little to what I am experiencing witch is similar to an agitated depression but I don't have anger just despair. I always knew how to take care of myself and reset my nervous system but now I'm clueless, walking forever in circles crying with anguish and despair. I have 2 babies.. And I don't think just time will heal. Just wish someone could hold me.

❤️ Sorry for your new suffering , I feel for you 💕

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Because of all my distress I've developed an inner monologue in default mode that is so important that it prevent me to sleep. 

I tried a quarter of Seroquel like 6mg I guess and while it made me drowsy I didn't sleep on that just made me very very close to sleep and I was left with teeth grinding, dry mouth and my legs vibrating witch are not gone now 2 days after. So MORE anxiety symptoms.

Now I understand what went wrong with me, the distress is so big with the akathisia that I add into it and kind of fuel it. But now that I can't sleep anymore, I'm thinking about suicide again. All the nausea, head shivers and agitation have returns.

Because of all the electricity in my head I can't rest, and if I try to nap, I get the myoclonus jerks that prevent me to sleep. At night I can't even do my breathing anymore because my thoughts go over it. forgot about meditation

I was a normal functional person 4 months ago. Now because I've wired my head in the negativity, I don't think I can make it. I went through hell and got over the worst but I couldn't make it in the end because of several life problem, bad support and oversensitivity.

Right now I have no feeling even for my children. I know I love them so much, but can't get any positive emotions.

I was left heartbreak after I called my family for help and were denied witch fuel my depression.

I was unable to watch tv or computer because of the constant brain shake that get worst with tv so was left for weeks in my thoughts alone.

Anyone has tips to rewire the default thought, like its my nerve cells excitability, and I keep thinking with the best suport I would of made it. 

I was thinking benzo, I was prescribed clonazepam and ativan, not sure witch one I should try, I don't want to be stuck with more anxiety symptoms.

This whole thing started with an anxiety attack triggerd by an anthihistamine over an effexor adverse reaction not healed. im sensitive to medication. 

• 4 weeks later...

Moonflower, how are You now?

12.2017-02.2018 Mirtazapine - started adverse reactions after 2 months use and stopped without problems

04.2018 Amitryptyline 25mg

07.2019 Stopping Amitryptyline and starting Escitalopram 10 mg, stopping after a week and coming back to Amitryptyline

01.2020 starting Amitryptyline withdrawal, after a month of too fast tapper (from 25mg to 10mg) developed migraines, didnt connect the dots. 

02.2020 went to ER with migraine, got IV torecan and developed severe akathisia (severe restless feeling throughout the body, panic, constant fear) and landed in psych ward. 4 days on benzos, Duoleksetine for 3 days, then back on Ami 30mg. Was stable, symptom free

03.2020 coming home and started Amitryptyline withdrawal again. I wasnt aware of need of slow tappering, psych alway told me to cut in half for few days. Decided to do it slower then she recommended, but it was still too fast.Cut to 20mg when got home (so was on 30mg just a week). 

04.2020 Cut to 15mg. Felt amazing for a week, then cut to 13,5mg. Felt amazing another week. Cut to 12mg. After a week developed migraines again. Then connected dots that they are withdrawal migraines. Tried to up my doze again cause migraines were severe. Took 15 mg and got adverse reaction, akathisia came back, had jerking brain zaps all night long, didnt sleep. Next day took 12 mg again.

Since then (25.04.2020) Im on 12mg again. 

26.04.2020 added propranolol cause akathisia was too severe 10mg 2 times a day. 08.05 still on 12mg amitryptyline, upped propranolol to 10mg 3 times a day cause yesterday akatisia hit out of nowhere very severe, wanted to got o hospital afraid of my life. 31.05 goes to 11mg. 08.07 goes to 10mg. 22.07 bullyeyes rash, infected with Lyme. 20.08 goes to 9mg. 14.10 goes to 8,5mg. After hospital stay with my daughter (15.11) started feeling worse, reacting to citrus fruits with extreme weakness and panic. Getting more symptoms. 12.2 as I wasnt feeling better decided to reduce to 8mg. No change for better or worse. 23.3 started 10 mg propranolol two times a day. 30.04 reduced propr to 15 mg. 05.05 went to 7,5mg Ami. 23.06 went to 7mg Ami. 22.08 6,5mg Ami. 20.12 6mg Ami. 12.2 5,4mg Ami. Still reacting to chemicals, foods.

• 4 weeks later...

I've experienced the eye issues. They were that sensitive, if someone had a cell phone in front of me on the bus, I couldn't look at it. It's much better now. That was also 18 months after finish tapering. Strange drugs

Social Anxiety diagnosis at root.

Born. 1983.

2001 - 2003  olanzapine and risperidone. 

2003 - 2007 Seroxat and prophanol. Cold turkey. Went on venlafaxine straight after.

2008- 2014. Venlafaxine. 6 month taper, crushing tablets powder form.

end 2014 - present. No meds.

• 2 months later...

@MoonFlowerHow are you doing now? Did your dry eyes ever get better? I had stopped a medication, Domperidone cold turkey & experienced intense dry eyes 48hrs later. They came on so suddenly. They’re still here months later & wondering if they’ll ever go away

6/24/21 - Started Domperidone 30mg/3x

7/17/21 - Upped Dom dose to 40mg/3x

9/08/21 - Weaned 1 pill of Dom 4x3x4

9/15/21 - Weaned another pill of Dom 3x3x4

9/18/21 - Started dropping pills quickly erratically 

9/26/21 - Took last dose of Dom (maybe 1 pill) Quit Dom CT

10/01/21 - WD symptoms: dry eyes, dry mouth, dry skin, headache, anxiety, thinned nails, thin hair, dry, bladder urgency, hot flashes, night sweats, panic attacks

10/05/21 - Took 20mg of Dom, felt a little better

10/06/21 - 10/10/21 - Tried 1x1x1 of Dom then 2x2x2

10/07/21 - Ended up back on low dose of Dom consistently 3x2x3. Planning to wean 1 pill per week

11/03/21 - Currently on 2x2x2 following 1 pill/week wean & still experiencing WD symptoms