SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Please join groundbreaking research on psych drugs

KimmieK

http://www.madinamerica.com/2016/05/please-join-groundbreaking-research-psychiatric-medications/

Psychiatric medications such as antipsychotics and antidepressants account for a huge number of published research studies. This existing research, however, is almost exclusively constrained within a medical model approach, purporting to evaluate medications as treatment for biological brain disorders, and designing studies accordingly. The disease, and how medications presumably affect it, is at the center — with pharmaceutical company financial interests not far behind.

That paradigm is starting to change. New research initiatives are emerging that put the experience of patients at the center, and seek to understand how people relate to and understand their medication use. Three new studies, with no pharmaceutical company sponsorship and with leadership from people who have ourselves taken these medications, are seeking your involvement: studies by John Read and colleagues, the Foundation for Excellence in Mental Health Care, and Maastricht University.(go to link for rest of article and links to studies please)

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

From Professor John Read on Facebook:

psychmedicationsurvey.com

Please complete and/or SHARE this survey for people who are taking, or have taken, psychiatric drugs

The experiences of Anti-depressant and Anti-psychotic Medication Survey

Thanks

From psychmedicationsurvey.com

The Experiences of Anti-depressant and Anti-psychotic Medication Survey

Professor John Read (project lead) and James Williams
Swinburne University of Technology

Introduction
Thank you for your interest in the Experiences of Antidepressant and Antipsychotic Medication Survey. The survey explores how people experience antidepressant and antipsychotic medication.

WHAT DOES TAKING PART IN THIS STUDY INVOLVE?
Taking part involves answering an anonymous survey about your experiences with antidepressant or antipsychotic medication. You can complete the survey online. It takes approximately 30-45 minutes. Not all questions will be relevant to everyone, so the time taken will be different for each person.

WHO CAN TAKE PART?
You can take part in this study if you meet all of the following criteria.
1. You have been taking or have previously taken an antidepressant medication continuously for longer than one month for any reason
2. You have been taking or have previously taken an antipsychotic medication continuously for longer than one month for any reason (such as Olanzapine, Risperidone, Clozapine, Quetiapine, Haloperidol etc).
3. You are aged 18 or older
4. You are not currently compulsorily detained in a psychiatric hospital
5. You are living in the community

IT'S YOUR CHOICE TO TAKE PART
Taking part in this study is your choice. You can change your mind and withdraw from the study without giving any reason, as long as you have not submitted your completed survey yet. If you change your mind, simply close the website without clicking 'submit' and your survey will not be sent. Once you have submitted your completed survey, you will be unable to withdraw from the study because there will be no way of identifying which survey responses have come from you.

YOUR PARTICIPATION WILL BE ANONYMOUS
The survey is anonymous. You will not be asked for any information that could identify you. No one other than the researchers will have access to your completed survey results. Because the survey is anonymous there will.be no way that anyone, including the researcher, will be able to identify you from the survey. We ask that you avoid sharing information that would allow them to identify you. If you do share any information that identifies you, it will be kept confidential. No information that could allow people to identify you or anyone else will be shared in any of the reports written about the research. The survey will be hosted on the Qualtrics platform. For an overview of Qualtrics privacy policy, see http://www.qualtrics.com/privacy-statement/

HOW WILL YOUR INFORMATION BE USED?
The information you provide will be used to understand the experiences of people who take antidepressant and antipsychotic medication. The information you .share in the survey will be combined with the data provided by other participants and used to produce academic research articles that publicise the results. We may use quotes from your survey responses when we publish the results of the study but we will ensure we share quotes in a way that stops anyone from identifying you. We will also use the results to create summary sheets to enable people who are not researchers to read and understand the results of the study. No information that could identify you will be included in any of the published articles, summary documents or public presentations about the results.

HOW WILL YOUR INFORMATION BE STORED?
During the study, electronic data will be encrypted and stored in a password protected computer that only the researchers have access to. After the study is completed, electronic data will be kept in a secure filing cabinet in the research supervisor's office at Swinburne University for seven years. After this date, the data will be destroyed.

WHAT ARE THE RISKS AND BENEFITS OF TAKING PART?
Responding to the survey might help you to reflect on your medication experiences and recovery journey. You may also benefit from knowing that you are using your experiences to help others; some people find doing this can give their experiences a sense of purpose and meaning. The researchers have consulted with a range of people to make it safe to take part in this study. However, as with any study that asks you to think about your experiences, it is possible you may remember past unwanted events or think about current areas of dissatisfaction, and experience some distress. Responding to the survey may also lead you to wonder about your current treatment options. It is important you do not suddenly stop taking antidepressant or antipsychotic medication.

WHERE TO FIND SUPPORT
If you find yourself thinking about coming off or reducing your medication or wondering about your treatment decisions, please talk to your doctor about your concerns. If you find yourself feeling distressed while you answer the survey, we suggest taking a short break and coming back to it later. If you take a break you will need to leave the web page open to be able to continue when you return. Be aware that the survey may automatically time-out and you may lose your responses if you leave the webpage open, but inactive for a long time.

If you find yourself feeling distressed after completing the survey you may prefer to use your own support networks by making contact with your clinician, therapist, counsellor or friends to discuss your response and get support. If you do not have a counsellor or therapist, see your local GP for a referral.

You may like to call one of the following Help Lines to get support:
Lifeline: Free Phone - 13 11 14
Anxiety Disorders Association (ADA VIC) - (03) 9853 8089

Further Information about the project -who to contact
If you would like further information about the project, please contact:
Professor John Read, Psychology Department, University of East London
john    uel.ac.uk

Concerns/complaints about the project - who to contact: This project has been approved by or on behalf of Swinburne's Human Research Ethics Committee (SUHREC) in line with the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research. If you have any concerns or complaints about the conduct of this project, you can contact:
Research Ethics Officer, Swinburne Research (H68),
Swinburne University of Technology, PO Box 218, HAWTHORN VIC 3122.
Tel (03) 9214 5218 or +61 3 9214 5218 or resethics   swin.edu.au

Powered by Qualtrics

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ouhhh, okay.  I'm in.  Will do this one soon........

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Done

nz11

Hoping to see a lot more 'Done' posts in this thread.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Filled out as well.

Paxil 20-30mgs since 2004.

Three previous withdrawal attempts 2008,2012 and 2015 all cold turkey.

Reinstated 10mg February 20th 2016

3/20/16-9mg 4/5/16-8mg 5/5/16-7mg 5/25/16-6mg 6/25/16-5mg 8/7/16-updose to 6mg 9/7/16 5.5mg 10/10/16-5mg 11/10/16-4.5mg

One thing that helps me is to see your withdrawal process as your own personal journey. Do not internalize someone else's withdrawal as your own. 

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."  - Maya Angelou

• Moderator Emeritus

Done!  It took me a little over an hours time.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

It is too bad that they insist on anonymity .......... I would gladly have given my name and contact information ........... would have liked the option to do so ......

yeah me too pharma could have people do this and totally skew the outcome.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Done! ! ! ! ! ! ! Thanks for posting. This is very important work! I gave them an earful! ;) 

Omg:   Have you ever reduced or tried to come off your anti-depressant medication?   :blink:  :ph34r:  :excl: 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Done.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

Ground breaking? like all the others that comes to nothing.

Paroxetine 30mg April 2000-Spring 2007 Citalopram 20mg Spring 2007-Spring 2009 Mirtazapine 15mg July 2009-Spring 2010 Mirtazapine 30mg Spring 2010