SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cheers, everyone

First – english is not my native language, so forgive me, if it's a bit clumsy.

Second – this story may be long. I feel like sharing, yet I'll try to make it short.

Everything began 11 years ago, when – after a great deal of trauma – I was diagnosed with obssesive compulsion disorder. Diagnosis itself felt wright – my fears, obssesions and rituals were getting stronger every day. Soon, I was beginning to lost it. Psychiatrist prescripted SSRI meds – sertraline, to be specific. It was pain. I reached the dose of 120 mg a day, as she ordered – I wasn't sleeping whole nights, wasn't eating almost anything (but still got fat) and my feelings and emotions were lost completely – what was left of me was a complete cyborg. Inabillity to sleep and eat made me going mad, my shrink, however, didn't see any problem. After a half a year, I showed her my middle finger and cease the treatment. I felt great for about a year – then obssesion came back, stronger than ever. This time, a proffesor psychiatrist came with paroxetine.

Let me make this clear – paroxetine did help me. My obssesions were gone. I became calm, reasonable, able to deal with emotions like grief or anger quickly. In time, however, I grew more and more disturbed about the therapy. I mean – what about my personality? Which part of that is artificial? What kind of person would I be without drugs? Why other people mostly seem a bother to me and why I lost any kind of interest in any kind of love life? Why I'm getting more and more surly and bitter? My proffesor answers were another drugs only, to which I refused.

This year, when six years of paroxetine were coming to pass, I withdraw it. I thought reducing the dose slowly will do. At first, I felt better. Everything was so vivid, so lively; I was becoming nicer to people. All this didin't last long, though. At first, I became nervous. Everything started to seem difficult, I felt like I had to much to attend to. That deepend into depression so deep, I quickly started to think about suicide, which eventually made me to come back to my treatment. This time, side effects decided to say hi. Afer two days on one pill, I suddenly started to run around house in cricle with suicide thoughts so intense, it was like someone grabbed me, shaking my arms and screaming „Do it! Do it! Do it!” I almost tried. I made it through next few days on benzodiazepine. Then, paroxetine kicked in without any more events. I've put myself together, yet I was confused – I mean, what the hell happened? I've never had such depression, where did it come from? My main problem were obssesions. I started to wonder – what if paroxetine actually did all this and now I'm allowing fox to guard henhouse? My decision to have a closer look on this brought me to book „Deadly Medicine and Organised Denial” by prof. Peter Gøtzsche (to those who haven't read it already – it's a book everyone should read). I read that paroxetine – and other SSRI meds – actually cause depression which shows up in the withdrawal syndrome due to disrupting brain biochemistry and that withdrawing after more than few weeks of treatment can be very hard. Sudden suicide thoughts, according to this book, are quite popular side effects of paroxetine syndrome. So many people, I was thinking. So many people did commit suicide, many of them slaughtered their families first.

I was furious and quite dispaired, feeling like I'm gonna claw my doctor's eyes out. Who the hell allowed this **** to be on market? Why my god damn shrink is keeping my on this crap for years? I've felt like a freaking junkie. On the other hand though – after I calmed down – I've felt some kind of new strenght. Withdrawing became my top priority. I'm now aware what happened and what is next. I know it may be hard, but I'm not losing optimism, until I still have at least some part of my brain intact (and liver, and kidneys, et cetera...). Like I said, I got this site address from prof. Gøtzsche and here I am. On the next appointment, I'm gonna have a little chit-chat with my doctor. If he won't be willing to assist me on my way to withdrawal, I'll find a doctor who will. I've already reduced the dose from 40 to 30 mg and I'm aiming to reduce it more to 20 mg (this is by approval from my current doctor). And then... well. No matter how much time will it take, I'm gonna be free one day.

(Anyone who thinks deserves beer after reading all this, leave me a note ;) ).

I don't want much with life. I want it leave me alone.

Medical history:

2005 - 2006 – diagnosis: OCD. Meds: sertraline (Setaloft), from 30 mg to 120 mg. Side effects: insomnia, anorexia (psychic inabillity to eat), obesity; some sleep medication (don't remember the name), side effects: halucination. 2007 – sertraline withdrawal by myself. Reducing the dose slowly (120 mg – 90 mg – 60 mg – 30 mg – 0 mg). Felt great for about a year. 2008 – diazepam, taking ocasionally if needed. 2010 – paroxetine (Seroxat, then: Parogen) for OCD. From 20 mg to 40 mg. Side effects: none. Piracetamum (Memotropil), side effects: general weakness. Withdrawal of piracetamum: after two years (none withdrawal syndrome). 2016 – attempt to withdraw paroxetine. Severe depression after month and a half. Insomnia, nervousness, loss of weight. Suicide thoughts. Returning to paroxetine in march. From 10 mg to 20 mg. Side effects: sudden suicide thoughts, serotonine syndrome, panic attacks. Other meds: Clonazepam 0,5 mg for three days (benzodiazepam), side effects: none; Alprazolamum (Xanax): from 0,25 mg to 0,5 mg; side effects: obstruction, acne, period stoppage. Withdraw after a month, side effects: one-day lasting histeria; Trazodonum (Trittico CR): from 75 mg to 25 mg. Side effects: somnolance. 2016, June – dropping the dose of paroxetine from 40 mg to 30 mg. Side effects: mood swings. Withdrawing Trazodonum from 25 mg to 0 mg. Side effects: wide mood swings and fretfulness for about a week; too rapid, don't recommend. Went back to 25 mg of trazodone and 40 mg of paroxetine. 2016, July - dropped trazodone by 10 %, went back to 25 mg after two weeks (cause: depresion). 2016, October - 10% paroxetine drop, leaving trazodone at 25 mg. 2016, November - second 10% paroxetine drop. 2017, October - 25 mg of paroxetine, 25 mg of trazodone. Boredom. Tired. No hope, no joy. For now.

Suplements: vitamins – C (600 mg), D3 (4500 IU), K2 (6400 IU), B15 (50 mg); hawaiian spirulina; fish collagen; fish oil (1 spoon); probiotic; magnesium (50 mg), selenium (200 mcg); flaxseed (1-2 spoons/day); minced milk thistle (1 spoon/day).

Diet: mostly vegan, gluten-free due to doctor's advice. Drinks: water, green tea, cistus incantus.

Books I recommendYour Body Many Cries for Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj; Hidden Therapies by Jerzy Zięba; Deadly Medicine and Organized Denial by Peter C. Gøtzsche; The Microbiom Solution by Robynne Chutkan; Urban Shaman and Mastering Your Hidden Self  by Serge Kahili King.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnaTheCat

• scallywag

• JanCarol

• Jayjohnny

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ana, welcome!

These drugs do have a purpose but as you found out, they are hard to stop taking.  A high percentage, 65%, of people taking paroxetine have problems when then stop taking it (I read this in the book The Antidepressant Solution by Dr. Glenmuller listed. You have come to a good place for information about discontinuing paroxetine safely.

I haven't read Gøtzsche's book. Aside from The Antidepressant Solution ,I have read Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.  Does Prof. Gøtzsche discuss tapering off psychoactive drugs? 

There is good information in this thread: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You will also find helpful ideas in the thread/topic that is specifically about paroxetine: Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Do you have any questions for the experienced and knowledgeable moderators about your next steps? If so, post them!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Ana, it was nice to read it. I think you have a talent as writer. Sorry you have such a bad experience behind you. I have similar but with some other medicament. I got it prescribed against pain and when I finished taking it, at once I had OCD, biggest depression and all anxiety disorders which exist. I hope that it will heal.Much luck with your tapering.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Ana The Cat!  I love your user name and I enjoyed your narrative as well, though the story itself is not a pleasant one.  I admire your strength and I think you will be free of paroxetine.  

I don't doubt that the reason your attempt to come off failed is that you still went too fast with your taper.  This time you will succeed.

I love your signature - yes, you are special!  What would help us is if you could fill out your signature block with your med history, including any other meds you may be on, Rx and OTC  As you may have noticed, this sig appears under all your posts and allows us to see your history at a glance.  Include details of how you tapered, dosages, when, etc.  Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  

This is your Intro to document your progress, ask questions about your situation, etc.  By bookmarking your thread, you can get to it quickly.  Click "Follow" above and you will be notified of any responses in your thread.

How much were you taking before you stopped?  What amount did you reinstate?  Were there any problems with that reinstatement, or did you go back to feeling ok?

Since you have read Peter Gotzsche's book, I don't think I need to give you any links about what withdrawal syndrome is, the remodeling that occurred due to the drug, etc.  Scallyway already gave you the links about why a 10% taper is recommended, and specifics about tapering Paroxetine.

Given you have been stable on your reinstatement for a good while, you can begin the 10% taper.  Do you have any questions about how to accomplish that?  The easiest would be to liquid paroxetine prescribed by your doctor, so that you can dose accurately with an oral syringe.  You can also make a liquid yourself.  How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

It's important to keep notes on paper, tracking when you take your dose, what it is, when symptoms come up if any, what they are, when they subside, any supplements you are taking, etc.  We really only recommend Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil, since others can be too activating or not well tolerated once the nervous system has become sensitized.

Again, I am glad you have joined us!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thank you all for warm welcome :) I'll make good use of these links. I dropped 10 mg and it's already taking it's toll. Yet I also feel more human.

I'll write a story in my signature block, I just need to put it together.

As for suplements - I'm already using fish oil, vitamin D3, K2, C and hawaiian spirulina. Magnesium comes from mineral water, I drink a lot - is that enough or should I add a suplement?

At my first paroxetine withdrawal, I dropped from 40 mg to 30, then to 20, then to 0. Too fast, I know that now. I've felt that my nervous system was confused - muscle tremors, feeling of being out of place and time, weakness in general, apetite - it went away after two weeks, and these reactions were expected. I didn't expect what came next, after a about a month - increasing nervousness wich became unbearable, loss of weight (I was too nervous to eat properly), lack of sleep (waking up at 3 AM with heart racing) and eventually, depression.

I came back at 10 mg, half the pill. Same night I woke up at midnight, so freaking panicked, that I bursted out of bed, walking around and trying to think what to do (other than suicide). I called my aunt (she's a psychiatrist) and the poor women picked up the phone. I drank some hop brew. Next hour I was frantically writing "I AM CALM! I AM CALM!" on a piece of paper. Went back to bed around 2 AM, woke up again at 5 AM. I managed to calm during the day, only to panick again at the afternoon. Aunt said that half the pill could only did worse.

So I took one pill, 20 mg. It was Easter, and I ruined it. I couldn't sit calmly, my breath was accelerated and heavy, I've felt like fainting. Took 1 mg of Xanax.
Easter Monday was the day I wrote about in previous post - sudden suicide thoughts and benzodiazepam. Next days I've experienced heavy mood swings - one moment I was running crazy, yelling something about how world is beautifull, another - crying in despair. Those swings gradually went away, along with my morning and afternoon depression, which lasted some time after returning to my treatment. I'm rather okay now.

As for Prof. Gøtzsche - he's not writing much about tapering itself, yet he sent me some advices and link via e-mail.

Again, thank you for your words and God bless you all.

Medical history:

2005 - 2006 – diagnosis: OCD. Meds: sertraline (Setaloft), from 30 mg to 120 mg. Side effects: insomnia, anorexia (psychic inabillity to eat), obesity; some sleep medication (don't remember the name), side effects: halucination. 2007 – sertraline withdrawal by myself. Reducing the dose slowly (120 mg – 90 mg – 60 mg – 30 mg – 0 mg). Felt great for about a year. 2008 – diazepam, taking ocasionally if needed. 2010 – paroxetine (Seroxat, then: Parogen) for OCD. From 20 mg to 40 mg. Side effects: none. Piracetamum (Memotropil), side effects: general weakness. Withdrawal of piracetamum: after two years (none withdrawal syndrome). 2016 – attempt to withdraw paroxetine. Severe depression after month and a half. Insomnia, nervousness, loss of weight. Suicide thoughts. Returning to paroxetine in march. From 10 mg to 20 mg. Side effects: sudden suicide thoughts, serotonine syndrome, panic attacks. Other meds: Clonazepam 0,5 mg for three days (benzodiazepam), side effects: none; Alprazolamum (Xanax): from 0,25 mg to 0,5 mg; side effects: obstruction, acne, period stoppage. Withdraw after a month, side effects: one-day lasting histeria; Trazodonum (Trittico CR): from 75 mg to 25 mg. Side effects: somnolance. 2016, June – dropping the dose of paroxetine from 40 mg to 30 mg. Side effects: mood swings. Withdrawing Trazodonum from 25 mg to 0 mg. Side effects: wide mood swings and fretfulness for about a week; too rapid, don't recommend. Went back to 25 mg of trazodone and 40 mg of paroxetine. 2016, July - dropped trazodone by 10 %, went back to 25 mg after two weeks (cause: depresion). 2016, October - 10% paroxetine drop, leaving trazodone at 25 mg. 2016, November - second 10% paroxetine drop. 2017, October - 25 mg of paroxetine, 25 mg of trazodone. Boredom. Tired. No hope, no joy. For now.

Suplements: vitamins – C (600 mg), D3 (4500 IU), K2 (6400 IU), B15 (50 mg); hawaiian spirulina; fish collagen; fish oil (1 spoon); probiotic; magnesium (50 mg), selenium (200 mcg); flaxseed (1-2 spoons/day); minced milk thistle (1 spoon/day).

Diet: mostly vegan, gluten-free due to doctor's advice. Drinks: water, green tea, cistus incantus.

Books I recommendYour Body Many Cries for Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj; Hidden Therapies by Jerzy Zięba; Deadly Medicine and Organized Denial by Peter C. Gøtzsche; The Microbiom Solution by Robynne Chutkan; Urban Shaman and Mastering Your Hidden Self  by Serge Kahili King.

I have ocd too and weaned off lots of meds over 2 years. I am off everything 9 months. Its been tough as hell but the good days are worth 1 million days feeling in a numb haze. Take the taper slow you will be okay.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

• Moderator Emeritus

I am glad you are stable now, Ana.  Many people experience a period right after coming off that gives them such clarity of mind and vision, but in a way it is a manic phase that is in itself a withdrawal symptom.  Then things fall apart.  

I see that you dropped paroxetine from 40 to 30 mg and have mood swings from this.  How long has it been?

I will give you the links I errantly thought might be covered in the good Doc's book!

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

If you stay with this 25% cut, you will need to stay with it for a couple of months at least before doing any more tapering. You will likely experience Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization and Neuro Emotions.

The magnesium you get from mineral water probably isn't enough.  I would get one of the chelated forms and start low, increasing as you are able to tolerate it. I take about 100% of the recommended daily allowance.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

I see that you dropped paroxetine from 40 to 30 mg and have mood swings from this.  How long has it been?

About a week. It settled down now. However, I dropped Trazodonum from the smallest dose of 25 mg to 0 mg (my doctor gave green light for this) and I'm not doing so well. 4 days off, from yesterday I'm crying most of the day. Everyday life seems hard to deal with.

Btw, that reminds me of discontinuing of Xanax. A week after being without it came this one sunday with crap weather. I suddenly started to cry, everything seemed unbearable, and I mean everything. My boyfriend tried to cheer me up and I pushed him off, shouting for him to get himself a normal girlfriend.

I mentioned weather, because from yesterday it's crap - rain, clouds, practically no sun. It came to me some time ago, that this kind of weather gets me down on my mood completely.

Medical history:

• Moderator Emeritus

We have info here on tapering trazodone:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2883-tips-for-tapering-off-trazodone-desyrel/  It is best to taper by 10% to avoid w/d symptoms.  You may wish to go back on to your 25mg dose, stabilise, then taper gently from there.  No point doing things the hard way ;)

And considering you are already tapering paroxetine, it is very important to have decent holds - at least 4 weeks - between reductions of either drug.  We usually recommend tapering one drug at a time in order to minimise problems. 

I hope this helps,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you, Karen. I'm feeling better today. I've been taking trazodone only since last days of march, with no particular side effects, that's why I rushed it a little, I guess. For now, I'll bear with it.

I also found liquid equivalent for my current paroxetine drug, hoo-rah! That's for the future, though. I'll stay on 30 mg at least until the end of the month. I have tendency to rush things when it goes well, but I'll keep it slow this time.

Medical history:

Update: I fear that I'm beginning to lost it. Nervousness is to strong. I feel like crying all the time, can't concentrate, everyday life seems to difficult. I'm being haunted by bad memories, sad thoughts.

I'm confused. This is almost a week without trazodone, if I go back to take it, all this effort will be lost. I tried to make a liquid, the pill won't dissolve.

Don't know what to do.

Plus, there's hardly anyone I can talk to about this.

Medical history:

Update: I've struggled for few hours, experiencing mood changing in almost every minute. Cried a lot, co-workers noticed. Finally, being at my wits end, I said to myself "Enough, god dammit!" I've been doing some affirmations. It worked, I suddenly felt like I got out of some really tight cage. I'm feeling very well from that moment.

Dropping the dose from 25 mg to 0 mg wasn't a good idea, yet I belive that the worse already came to pass.

As for paroxetine, I'll take it really slow.

Btw, sorry for multiple posting!

Medical history:

• Moderator Emeritus

Update: I fear that I'm beginning to lost it. Nervousness is to strong. I feel like crying all the time, can't concentrate, everyday life seems to difficult. I'm being haunted by bad memories, sad thoughts.

I'm confused. This is almost a week without trazodone, if I go back to take it, all this effort will be lost. I tried to make a liquid, the pill won't dissolve.

Don't know what to do.

Plus, there's hardly anyone I can talk to about this.

Ana, you've made 2 major changes with 2 drugs in a short period of time and are suffering. If you reinstate the trazodone, your time won't be lost -- you've learned something valuable about your body. 

When it comes time to taper the trazodone, the pill doesn't have to dissolve to a solution.  You can use a suspension where the particles are visible. You shake up the liquid + particles immediately before taking it.  Our member Rhi has made suspensions from drugs that are technically insoluble in water, see http://survivinganti...dpost__p__45161

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

I have done the suspension, too, with Mirtazapine and OraPlus suspension vehicle.  You can ask your chemist/pharmacist if they carry such a liquid you could buy.  You can grind up the pill between two spoons as fine as you can.

You don't even have to updose the full 25 mg of trazadone, Ana - even half would likely give you relief and you wouldn't be so far away from coming off.  I understand wanting to get off quickly since you hadn't been on it very long, but you must remember that yours is a very sensitized nervous system that will be very touchy about messing with dosages  Perhaps a first timer who was on trazadone for a couple of months could come off quickly with no trouble, but the more ups/downs/changes a nervous system has been through, the more touchy it becomes about even small changes.  

I am glad reciting the affirmations helped.  

SG

Seems like I'll be fine from now. Little nervousness in the morning, tiny mood swinging, nothing much really.

We have a proverb here in Poland: Pole is wise after the post-damage. Should I be tapering trazodone now, I would do it slower.

Medical history:

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad things are settling a bit Ana.  Keep giving yourself lots of care and rest. 

Karen

x

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Ana, I wish you all the best with tapering and recovery!

You know, I'm reading the stories from people who get on these drugs for the first time and most of them feel great after the first or the second try (with another med). 
They deal with their problems, go to therapy and sometimes they are willing to stay on the drug and sometimes they want to taper. 
Sometimes people are really successful and they don't relapse. But most of us do, sooner or later. Then we try the drug that helped so much the first time and we discover that it doesn't do the tric anymore. We don't experience the same effect and the side effects are much worse, as well as the withdrawal effects.

I discovered this on my own, but I think it's different in the The Netherlands, we're just behind. My therapist in 2009/2010 told me paroxetine was (essentially) the same medication as fluvoxamine. I told him I had read about the differences in side effects, but he wasn't taking really convinced. I asked my general doctor to prescribe fluvoxamine. It worked fantastic the first time. The second time it didn't improve my ocd.
My point is...most doctors or therapists don't tell you anything about withdrawal and just think they can switch you to other drugs because of the information in their books and literature. 
Or they go and overmedicate because they want to fix the symptoms caused by the first drug. They also don't know anything about 'pooping-out' or the fact that the brain -can- become accustomed or reliant on these pills.

All my life: Occasional panic attacks. 2003: Burnout  2004: intrusion (OCD'ish) / anxiety. Therapies: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, hypnotherapy --> symptoms were manageable (did return once in a while), depression lifted.
2007 - Relapse, started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Therapist recommended Fevarin (fluvoxamine) 150 mg. Recovery after 3 months and remained stable. Mild side effects.
2009 - Tapered fluvoxamine. No withdrawal symptoms. 2010 - Relapse, same Pure O thought and anxiety.  Started taking 100 mg of fluvoxamine but after 9 weeks no change in symptoms. Did not have any effect on Pure O thought. Switched to Lexapro (escitalopram) 20 mg.  Drug started working within 3 weeks. Mild side effects. Slowly over the years tapered to 5 mg.
2015: Lots of personal issues and setbacks, occasional panic attack. 2016: April started skipping doses; 5mg escitalopram every other day (in hindsight a bad idea)
May: Major relapse, anxiety and intrusion returned. Depression. Increased from 2,5 mg 15 mg in two weeks. Side effects: neuro-emotions
June: Escitalopram has no effect on the frequency of the intrusion...after 4 weeks my general doctor advised me to do a fast taper to 5mg. Withdrawal effects (2/3 weeks): neuro-emotions, lack of focus, crying spells, fatigue, muscle twitches in legs, cortisol spikes just before waking up July: Stable on 5 mg. Depression and intrusion lifted during holiday (lots of sunshine, long walks and relaxing) August: Drop down to 2,5 mg. Withdrawal effects (tinnitus, headagues) are noticeable, but still mild in comparison to the big drop earlier.
22th August: stopped escitalopram completely. Cortisol spikes just before waking up, still OCD (only temporary improvements), WD-depression and WD-neuro emotions.
Update 6 dec: no medication, any withdrawal symptoms not noticable. Taking supplements for intrusive thoughts and overall well being: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) omega 3 fish oils, zinc, vitamin d, magnesium l-threonate, ginko biloba

I'm loosing it again. Crying a lot. Everything seems unbearable. Everything, g*****it, I just wanna be someone else, someplace else, this creepy weather makes me furious, clouds all over the sky. Depersonalisation.

I'm going back to trozadone. Screw this.

Edited by brassmonkey
Cleaned up language

Medical history:

• Moderator Emeritus

Ana going back on the trazodone is a good idea for now to yourself get used to the changes with paroxetine. Sorry you had a hard time when off it -- that's good information to have though. You now know that you don't do well with stopping the trazodone all at once. When it's time to taper it, you can go more slowly.

From what I can see, you only missed one dose so things will probably get better quickly. 

scallywag's Introduction

I've been without trazodone for a week. I came back to my senses already, but I'm still returning to it. Will wait a bit, then start with a liquid.

Medical history:

Update: I took 25 mg of trazodone before sleep. Woke up early, nervous. Nervousness increasing. Went back to 40 mg of paroxetine (from 30 mg). Bursted into tears, suicide thoughts. My boyfriend around, help me to calm down. He didn't know I felt like running away and throwing myself under a car.

This tapering attempt was green-lighted by my doctor, and yet...

Feeling better now.

Medical history:

Ana. How are you feeling now ?  That was a big jump . What precipitated that ? It's unclear . Please keep notes on your symptoms in the mean time . You say you've gone back and your doctor recommended but it would be great if you could expand on that and perhaps let us know a little more.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I've lost it again about an hour ago, now feeling better once again.

About a month after returning on paroxetine, the doc said that I can try lowering the dose to one and a half pill, then to one and also that he's ok with withdrawing trazodone (I've been taking that for a month back then). So, I lowered paroxetine to one pill and a half (30 mg from 40 mg) and trazodone from 25 mg to 0.

It's been two weeks on 30 mg paroxetine and one week without trazodone. As you can see above, last week was tough. Histeria, fretfulness. It started to became worse. Yesterday evening I took 25 mg of trazodone, today morning - back to 40 mg of paroxetine. I was going mad twice today, feel quite relieved now, as if I cried it all out. Hope that's it.

Medical history:

Ana.  From our point of view this is obviously too fast . That's why you're experiencing symptoms. These symptoms have a way of catching up with you . Unfortunately , they take a while to  " set in " .  You went from Trazadone 25mg - 0 mg. You also dropped from Parexotine  40 mg to 30 mg . Have you reinstated both ?

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Both reinstated. I'm still calm, melissa and valerian drops are helpful.

Medical history:

Hey, guys. I was rather ok on Sunday, it was sunny and warm. Monday, I lost it since morning, crap weather. Was crying and struggling with suicide thoughts till afternoon. Then, got better, then again - felt down in the evening. Today I felt horrible after waking up, but I managed to calm myself down with some affirmation and excercise. I mean, it's still rough. Heavy mood swings, plus I haven't been doing my work properly yesterday. I'm gonna contact my doctor. Is there anything else that could help to bear with all this, until I get use to higher dose of paroxetine and trazodone (as I said, I returned to 40 mg of paroxetine and 25 mg of trazodone)? It's really hard sometimes, I have this suicide thoughts from time to time, because you know - when I'm depressed, nothing seems right. I'm using valerian drops and melissa, also I got my magnesium suplement yesterday, 10 mg - made me nauseous, are there any tips? I mean, how fast should I increase the dose?

Right now, I feel like crying, but only a little. Feel like talking about all this to someone. I'm seeing my psychologist in friday, but still feel like talking to anyone. I'm keeping my mom out of this since saturday. She's supportive, but she's already at her wits end with me.

Medical history:

• Moderator Emeritus

Ana, nausea is unpleasant on its own. When you've got other withdrawal symptoms, it's extra challenging.

Have you looked for ideas in our topic on Digestive Problems: Nausea + others?

scallywag's Introduction

@scallywag: I got nauseous right after my first dose of magnesium, 10 mg. It's a liquid, drinking it slow seems to do the trick. How fast do you recommend increasing?

I've come to my senses. I got way better on saturday, yesterday and today feel like sweet old days. I'm only a little disgusted, I would call it - now there are two drugs to taper. I'll wait till september I think, then I'm starting tapering trazodone by 10% of a dose. Paroxetine will probably have to wait till next spring (March or April).

Medical history:

• Moderator Emeritus

If 10 mg gave you nausea, cut it back a bit if you can before thinking of increasing magnesium. Is the magnesium you're using in a tablet/pill, or is it a powder/liquid? What form of magnesium is it: magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate, magnesium glycinate, etc.?

scallywag's Introduction

Like I said, it's liquid. I drink it with water, magnesium chloride. Drinking slowly prevents nausea. I'm taking 5 ml of the liquid, how long should I stay with it? 

Medical history:

• Moderator Emeritus

Magnesium chloride is a formulation that has higher unpleasant effects, including nausea. You may want to consider stopping your current magnesium and/or trying a different form of magnesium if you can get it. Magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate are often much easier on digestive systems.

In the Magnesium thread, some have posted (maybe Alto?) about applying magnesium chloride "oil" on their skin. You could try that, maybe behind your knees or in the crease of your elbow where the skin is a bit thinner.

scallywag's Introduction

Ana, I can recommend the oil magnesium but you can also get it in dry form as a footh bath. The skin is our biggest organ and can absorb substances. Take a magnesium bath for 20 to 40 minutes. I tried the 'oil' for musle pain between shoulders but my skin got irritated. Im rubbing it on my legs or feeth before sleeping but i do prefer the pill form magnesium biglycinate.

All my life: Occasional panic attacks. 2003: Burnout  2004: intrusion (OCD'ish) / anxiety. Therapies: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, hypnotherapy --> symptoms were manageable (did return once in a while), depression lifted.
2007 - Relapse, started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Therapist recommended Fevarin (fluvoxamine) 150 mg. Recovery after 3 months and remained stable. Mild side effects.
2009 - Tapered fluvoxamine. No withdrawal symptoms. 2010 - Relapse, same Pure O thought and anxiety.  Started taking 100 mg of fluvoxamine but after 9 weeks no change in symptoms. Did not have any effect on Pure O thought. Switched to Lexapro (escitalopram) 20 mg.  Drug started working within 3 weeks. Mild side effects. Slowly over the years tapered to 5 mg.
2015: Lots of personal issues and setbacks, occasional panic attack. 2016: April started skipping doses; 5mg escitalopram every other day (in hindsight a bad idea)
May: Major relapse, anxiety and intrusion returned. Depression. Increased from 2,5 mg 15 mg in two weeks. Side effects: neuro-emotions
June: Escitalopram has no effect on the frequency of the intrusion...after 4 weeks my general doctor advised me to do a fast taper to 5mg. Withdrawal effects (2/3 weeks): neuro-emotions, lack of focus, crying spells, fatigue, muscle twitches in legs, cortisol spikes just before waking up July: Stable on 5 mg. Depression and intrusion lifted during holiday (lots of sunshine, long walks and relaxing) August: Drop down to 2,5 mg. Withdrawal effects (tinnitus, headagues) are noticeable, but still mild in comparison to the big drop earlier.
22th August: stopped escitalopram completely. Cortisol spikes just before waking up, still OCD (only temporary improvements), WD-depression and WD-neuro emotions.
Update 6 dec: no medication, any withdrawal symptoms not noticable. Taking supplements for intrusive thoughts and overall well being: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) omega 3 fish oils, zinc, vitamin d, magnesium l-threonate, ginko biloba

I'm fine with the magnesium liquid for now, I'm gonna get some dry form for a bath as well.

Btw, my shrink is away, so I've visited his son (also a psychiatrist), who refused to prescribe Dropax (liquid paroxetine drug), because he has no experience with it. D**mit. I'm gonna have to wait for his dad till september. In the meantime, I'm getting ready to taper trazodone.

So, I have to wait with tapering paroxetine anyway. I'm back on 40 mg and I'm kissing part of my emotions and feelings goodbye. Again.

Medical history:

• Moderator Emeritus

Ana, I'm glad that you posted. Nice to see you!

It takes 6 months to get to 50% of your current dose using our recommended 10% taper. You could start tapering paroxetine tablets/capsules now and switch to the liquid in the fall.

scallywag's Introduction

I've started tapering trazodone now. Paroxetine will have to wait. I've already tried tapering two meds at the same time, ain't gonna repeat that. Cheers.

Medical history:

• 4 weeks later...

I hate my life and I wanna die. Or something.

Tapering trazodone failed. I'm back on 25 mg and it's settled.

Been on two weeks on vacation in my beloved mountainside. I'm back now and I hate it. I'm suffocating here. I hate my house, my family (except for my mom and cat) and my job. I'm unable to work.

I'm thinking about suicide. Thoughts about my mom and my boyfriend hold me back. For now.

Medical history: