SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Questions and answers about liquid medications, use by date, expiry

lionboy

ADMIN NOTE Also see

tablets or liquid in withdrawal ?

How to calculate dosages?

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

hi

i have been on 25mg citalopram / celexa for just over a year now down from 30mg.

i take a 20mg tablet and half a 10mg tablet which i split with a pill cutter.

my withdrawal symptoms are much better now than they were a few months ago, however they are still there.

mainly tremour and agitation now on and off.

I do wonder whether the fact that i am taking a slightly different dose each day (due to inacurracies when cutting the tablets)

has any bearing on this ?

With this in mind I am considering asking my doctor if I can transfer to liquid to allow precise dosing.

I don't know whether I would need to take my full dose as liquid ? or whether i could take a 20mg tablet and the 5mg as liquid.

does anyone know if you can take both together.

the other thing I am unsure of is that it is suggested on the internet that with the liquid you take a slightly reduced dose i.e 16mg as apose 20mg as it is supposedly more readily absorbed by the body thus the same effect is achieved.

Does anyone have any experience of this ?

Another reason I would favour taking liquid is that when I decide to reduce again I can cut accurately by much smaller amounts.

any advice is much appreciated.

Edited by Altostrata
added admin note

1999 50mg citalopram / celexa for anxiety and depression.

dec 2007 50mg - 40mg, march 2009 40mg - 30mg, july 2009 30mg - 20mg, aug 2009 20mg - 30mg, sept 2009 30mg - 20mg, jan 2010 20mg - 30mg, july 2010 30mg - 25mg (one 20mg and half a 10mg tablet), july 2010 - july 2013 25mg

July 2013 began tapering down in 1mg increments, dissolving the tablets in water and using a syringe as suggested by Rhi. Had a few hiccups along the way as can be seen in my thread.

End December 2013, now down to 11.25mg.

Dec 2013 to present day still on 11.25 mg. I have hit, what Professor Healy terms, a shelf. I became extremely destabilised when I reduced from 12.25mg to 11.25mg. Only now, after some 15 months am I starting to really recover from it.

• Administrator

Lionboy -- yes, you can take the tablet and liquid together to get to the full intended dosage.

If you are very sensitive to reductions in dosage, variation in the tablets fractions could cause you problems. Phil, for example, is very sensitive to minute variations in Lexapro doses.

Utilizing the liquid will make it possible for you to make very precise doses.

This would eliminate one variable in your withdrawal and enable you to taper by amounts smaller than 2.5mg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you Alto.

you are so well informed on so many issues surrounding AD's, i'm sure you are of great help to many people who visit this site !

Am I correct that when taking the liquid you take a slightly lower dose due to how your body converts the drug ?

If this is the case do people normally experience any problems when switching from pills to liquid ?

thanks again Alto.

dec 2007 50mg - 40mg, march 2009 40mg - 30mg, july 2009 30mg - 20mg, aug 2009 20mg - 30mg, sept 2009 30mg - 20mg, jan 2010 20mg - 30mg, july 2010 30mg - 25mg (one 20mg and half a 10mg tablet), july 2010 - july 2013 25mg

July 2013 began tapering down in 1mg increments, dissolving the tablets in water and using a syringe as suggested by Rhi. Had a few hiccups along the way as can be seen in my thread.

Dec 2013 to present day still on 11.25 mg. I have hit, what Professor Healy terms, a shelf. I became extremely destabilised when I reduced from 12.25mg to 11.25mg. Only now, after some 15 months am I starting to really recover from it.

• Administrator

Thank you for the compliments, lionboy. I don't know everything, but I've dealt with lots of liquid medications!

No, do not take a lower amount of the liquid. If you need to take 5mg, take the equivalent of 5mg.

The tricky part is understanding the concentration of the liquid. The pharmacist can help you with this. For example, if the medication is concentrated to 10mg in 1mL, to get 5mg, you would take .5mL.

People have trouble switching from tablets to liquid, or brand-name to generics, because of very small differences in formulation and absorbability. A liquid may be absorbed faster.

But many people do not have difficulty with these switches.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

hi alto

thanks again for the advice.

regarding the doseage of liquid please see the following product info i have cut and pasted from a website.

this same info is on a few different sites so seems to be standard advice from the drug companies.

as i am on 25mg, if i follow this i would need to take one 20mg tablet and 2 drops (4mg) of liquid to equal my current dose ??

Method of administrationMethod of administration

For oral administration after mixing with water, orange juice or apple juice.

Cipramil Oral Drops can be taken as a single daily dose, at any time of day, without regard to food intake.

Citalopram oral drops have approximately 25% increased bioavailability compared to tablets. The tablet corresponds to the number of drops as follows:

For oral administration after mixing with water, orange juice or apple juice.

Cipramil Oral Drops can be taken as a single daily dose, at any time of day, without regard to food intake.

Citalopram oral drops have approximately 25% increased bioavailability compared to tablets. The tablet corresponds to the number of drops as follows:

Tablets / dose Equivalent / Drops

10 mg 8 mg (4 drops)

20 mg 16 mg (8 drops)

30 mg 24 mg (12 drops)

40 mg 32 mg (16 drops)

60 mg 48 mg (24 drops)

• Administrator

According to this site http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/document.aspx?documentId=6153#COMPOSITION with manufacturer's (Lundbeck) information:

Oral drops 40 mg/ml (44.48 mg citalopram hydrochloride corresponding to 40 mg citalopram base per ml).

It's 15mL (600mg) per bottle.

The Ciprimil drops above have 40mg in 1mL. To get 5mg, you would take .125mL (1/8 of 40mg or 1/8 of a milliter).

If the dropper that comes with the bottle isn't marked in tenths, you would be able to measure this out with a 1mL oral syringe (the small one). (Mine, from Baxa in Denmark, is nicely marked with lines measuring drops, also.) See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques/page__view__findpost__p__2284 for more info about oral syringes, which you can get from the pharmacy or a veterinarian.

Now, you may ask, what about when I want to take dosages smaller than 5mg? Well, then you would dilute Cipramil liquid with water (don't use juice, it's too sticky).

For example, say you want to take 1mg:

- Using a 10mL syringe to measure out the water, put 9mg water in a clean, small pill bottle.

- With a dry syringe, put 1mg Cipramil (40mg) in the water. Now you have 40mg in 10mL of liquid.

- To take 1mg, take .25mL (1/40 of 10mL).

And so forth. Thank God for the metric system.

You'll have to ask the pharmacist how long the diluted solution will last, and if you need to refrigerate it.

alto

thanks again, they don't make it easy do they !

what do you say regarding the manufacturers claims that liquid is 25% more readily absorbed by the body, thus you take 20% less in liquid ?

that is to say when switching from 20mg tablet you take the equivalent of 16mg in the liquid for the same resulting dose ?

• Administrator

No, don't try to adjust the amount of liquid to take account for increased bioavailability. It's supposed to be an equal exchange.

If you find when you change to the liquid that it's too strong, you can adjust it then.

sorry to labour this point, but i am concerned about switching over.

you say "it supposed to be an equal exchange" can you elaborate ?

if you look at the link you sent me further up this thread and scroll down it has a table showing 10mg tablet = 8mg liquid 4 drops etc.

are you saying the increased bioavailability of liquid is just nonsense ?

do you have direct experience of this ?

• Administrator

The liquid is intended to be taken as a direct equivalent, e.g. 40mg tablet = 40mg of liquid (1mL).

"Bioequivalent" is a pharmacokinetic term referring to the action in the body. It means the drug gets into your bloodstream faster. It is not intended as information for dosing.

We expect that liquids are absorbed faster. This may or may not have an affect on you, or it may be something you get used to in a couple of days.

I use liquid preparations all the time and I dose them as indicated by the concentration, e.g. 1mg/mL, 40mg/1ml, etc.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Rhi makes her own Celexa liquid with water. She describes how she does it here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques/page__p__7769#entry7769

• 5 months later...

I find this confusing. I just picked up Celexa liquid 10mgs/5mL is on the front of the package. I take 40mgs. Celexa I have 10mg tablets Should take 30 or 35mgs. of tablets and use the rest in liquid? ~ OR ~ 30mgs. Celexa and the rest in liquid. (yes I know I am being neurotic, tapering ain't easy for me) Most important how do I use the liquid to decrease 1/2 mg. The syringe he gave me is for 5mL. 1/2mg = 1/4mL? 1mg = 1/2mL? 5mL syringe = 10mgs? Somebody please straighten me out here ;) He gave me another syringe which is 1mL Confused here.

Edited by Altostrata
moved admin note

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

10mgs/5mL means there are 2mg Celexa in each 1mL, a 2:1 ratio (twice as much Celexa as liquid).

1mL liquid contains 2mg Celexa

For example, if you want to take 8mg Celexa in the liquid, you would take 4mL.

If you're at 40mg Celexa and you want to take 36mg (a 10% decrease), you could take 30mg in tablets (3 10mg tablets) and 6mg in liquid (3mL liquid). You would have to fill a 1mL oral syringe 3 times.

(You may wish to get the 10mL oral syringes for this stage of your taper so you only have to fill a syringe once for a dose.)

Here are some equivalencies for a 10mgs/5mL solution of Celexa (2:1 ratio):

.5mg Celexa = .25mL liquid

1mg Celexa = .5mL liquid

2mg Celexa = 1mL liquid

3mg Celexa = 1.5mL liquid

4mg Celexa = 2mL liquid

5mg Celexa = 2.5mL liquid

6mg Celexa = 3mL liquid

7mg Celexa = 3.5mL liquid

8mg Celexa = 4mL liquid

9mg Celexa = 4.5mL liquid

10mg Celexa = 5mL liquid

Edited by Altostrata
corrected mg to mL, added 1mL equivalent

Thank you Alto...

I do understand the 2:1 ratio now. My problem is the five levels - lines in between each mL marking.

4mL_________

____

____

____

____@ this first line what is the decrease - an 1/8 or 1/4 or 1/2, etc.?

5mL_________

I want to fill the syringe up to that line. It is the smallest cut that I can make. It would be 9 something. What that something is I don't know.

Aside from numbers, ratios, percents, algebra, geometry, adding, subtracting, multiplying and division being my worst subjects....the reason I can't absorb is because of the Celexa.

I swear it has me blocked and unable to absorb :huh:

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Administrator

If there are 5 divisions between 4mL and 5mL, each of the chunks would be .2mL (.2 x 5 = 1.0mL) -- 1/5 of a mL.

If there are 10 divisions between 4mL and 5mL, each of the chunks would be .1mL (.1 x 10 = 1.0mL) -- 1/10 of a mL.

I have one 1mL oral syringe that has 5 divisions between numbers, and another that has 10 divisions. I have to carefully count the divisions each time I take a dose.

Bubbles I think I did this with Lexapro liquid back in 2007. Although the Pharmacist told me the Lexapro liquid was the same dosage as the pills.

I sat down and figured this out last night.

I am assuming when I fill the syringe and when I fill it to the line right above the 5mL line that I will have dropped 1/5mL. I still don't know what that equals in terms of mgs.

Once I get from 5mL to 4mL I know that will be a 2mg. drop in dose.

Right?

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Administrator

Correct.

1mg Celexa = .25mL liquid

4mg Celexa = 2mL liquid

1mL liquid contains 2mg Celexa

If one division = 1/5 mL, it would be 1/5 x 2mg Celexa = .4mg

If you take 4 out of 5 divisions, you are taking 1.6mg Celexa (4/5 x 2mg)

What I do is write down what I need to take and very carefully count the divisions for every dose.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI for anyone decreasing Celexa...

I am doing okay with it. I did not expect that.

I took the advise given here. I can't do a 10% reduction (or at least I could not do that in the past), so I knew I wouldn't start there.

I have made two cuts in three weeks. 1/5th mL and then another 1/5th.

Each time, I did get insomnia, heightened AM anxiety and that was about it. The anxiety leads to other things, like worry, and fear. Not so good. That is what takes me out.

It did subside each time. Thank You God....

I think I will bask in the good days for a short while and then make another 1/5th cut.

I have been busy and that's good for me too. Years ago I read a book "When I Got Busy, I Got Better". Very true for me.

In all of my tapers, I did experience fatigue which was probably from insomnia. I had aches and pains too. Basically I was not incapacitated and was always able to exercise heavily.

On occasion that would level me, but I guess I have good stamina. So busy is better for Moi :D

Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• 9 months later...

Hi. I need some help to make sure I'm measuring correctly:

Here's a recap first:

-7 years on Zoloft 50mg twice daily as prescribed by my psychiatrist

-1 year on Zoloft 50mg daily...psychiatrist disapproved of this reduction, so only told him once, then did it on my own.

-1 week cold turkey...psychiatrist advised against going off AD, but finally said "Fine, come back in 3 months, and let me know how it's going."

-1 month on Zoloft 25mg daily

Yesterday I saw my psychiatrist. We discussed how things were going. I asked him to prescribe an oral suspension to assist me in my tapering. He obliged, but still prescribed dosage as if I was still on the 50mg twice daily. Aren't they supposed to listen to you???

Here's what I got:

180ML *SERTRALINE 10MG/CC ORAL SUSPENSION

TAKE 5ML TWICE DAILY FOR 7 DAYS,

THEN 5ML IN THE MORNING AND 2.5ML IN THE EVENING FOR 7 DAYS,

THEN 2.5ML TWICE DAILY FOR 7 DAYS,

THEN 2.5ML DAILY.

My plan is still to taper by 10% every 3 to 4 weeks.

Does this sound correct?

5ML oral suspension=50MG capsule

In order to taper by 10% from 25MG that I've been taking for the past month, I would take 2.25ML of this new oral suspension???

Any help is appreciated, as I'm not sure I'm doing this right.

SSRI History:

8 years on SSRIs (Luvox, Paxil, Effexor)

4 years on Zoloft 100MG daily

1 year on Zoloft 50MG daily

1 week off Zoloft cold turkey

Began Zoloft taper Jan. 26, 2013 starting at 25MG daily

Other Presriptions

-Amiloride 5MG-50MG daily (blood pressure)

-Rabeprazole 20MG daily (acid reflux)

-Atorvastatin 20MG daily (high cholesterol)

-Lorazepam 0.5MG as needed

Supplements

-Vitanin B-100 complex

-Cal-Mag Supreme (also includes potassium, zinc, boron, vitamins D and K)

-Vitamin D

-Vitamin E

• Administrator

Are they supposed to listen to you? In a perfect world, yes. You may need to learn to "work" with this doctor, i.e. politely give him instructions about what you need.

First, check the concentration on your bottle to make sure it is 10mg/cc (same as 10mg/milliliter).

If it is 10mg/mL, you would take 2.5mL for a 25mg dose. A 10% reduction would be 22.5mg or 2.25mL, as you correctly calculated.

Your doctor's tapering plan is eccentric and too fast, figuring to get you off Zoloft in 4 weeks. When you run out of liquid in a couple of months, you'll have to refill the prescription (if you can) or ask him for another. You might say at that time you decided to take it slower.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know of a fabulous standardized bottle for carrying homemade suspensions in a purse or man-carrying-device? I found an amber bottle on Amazon, but it is too tall for a syringe (I am pouring into lid) and comes in 12-packs. Just pre-packaging in a syringe makes me nervous because solids can rest in the dead space and never make the mouth (although multiple rinsing into your mouth would probably take care of that, I guess, but really.)

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

You can get a small bottle from the pharmacy. Mine gave them away for free.

There have been times when I pre-filled an oral syringe and carried it in a closed container, I can't remember what it was. Maybe a yogurt container? Or a medicine bottle? I figured if any solution leaked out of the syringe, I'd put water in the container and drink it out, but it didn't leak.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

The liquid lexapro I will get is 10 mg/ ml and so I will need to dilute that. It says it is mixed with ethanol. What liquid can I use to dilute this highly concentrated liquid?

Thanks,

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

Can you get a 0.5mL or 1mL oral syringe instead? It will measure to hundredth of a milliliter.

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you get a 0.5mL or 1mL oral syringe instead? It will measure to hundredth of a milliliter.

Yes. Actually I have a 1 mL , glass pipette so I can measure accurately to tenths of a mL. I wasn't thinking… sorry.

But I'm still curious about it. I know water wouldn't work… but how about ever clear liquor? 

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

Is this a compounded solution?

From the manufacturer, Forest, of Lexapro oral solution:

Lexapro oral solution contains escitalopram oxalate equivalent to 1 mg/mL escitalopram base. It also contains the following inactive ingredients: sorbitol, purified water, citric acid, sodium citrate, malic acid, glycerin, propylene glycol, methylparaben, propylparaben, and natural peppermint flavor.

Are you sure yours is diluted with alcohol? What is the manufacturer?

• Moderator Emeritus

Lundbeck. 

• Administrator

Are you reading the label? Otherwise, I'd double-check the ingredients with the manufacturer. If the base is alcohol, ask them about dilution.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would ask the pharmacist or as Alto says, the manufacturer. 

It may be fine to dilute with water. We mix water and alcohol all the time, it's not a problem. I think Everclear is something like 50% ethanol.

But I'd see if you can get the info from manufacturer or pharmacist first, before experimenting on your own.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I  

It may be fine to dilute with water. We mix water and alcohol all the time, it's not a problem. 

Yes.. I will check on all of these details but..

When you mix alcohol with water the total volume changes. Maybe that is not a problem? 

I discuss all of this with my P doc tomorrow. Wish me luck. He's been supportive of my taper in the past but I always worry he will suddenly buck it. Now would be a very inopportune time for that. My strategy? Tell him up front at the beginning of the appt. exactly what I need for prescriptions and then let him listen to himself talk ( his favorite thing) ending with a reminder from him that he got his agree from the Mayo clinic … usually that does it. I walk out of these stupid appts. with the prescriptions I need to get of these damn drugs.

RU

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry, I don't understand, isn't "dilution" the same as "total volume changes"? I mean isn't that sort of the point?

Love your description of visiting the doc! Ha! yep.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry, I don't understand, isn't "dilution" the same as "total volume changes"? I mean isn't that sort of the point?

Love your description of visiting the doc! Ha! yep.

Thanks! What I mean is if you add 10 ml of water to 10 ml of alcohol you don't get 20 mls of liquid. You actually get less than that. So that would mean that the number of mgs. of lexapro per ml couldn't be calculated using 20 mls as the denominator.

Seriously . I don't want to confuse things here and Alto feel free to delete this discussion.. I would get that. At this point it's just a discussion of curiosity… not intelligence … particularly  on my part!!!

I don't want to confuse any tapering issues here.

RU

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure your compounded solution is mixed with 100% ethanol? It seems to me like it would be more likely to be a mixture with some simple syrup or something (say that five times fast). 

I'd try just experimenting. When you mix ethanol and water it's true you get a bit of volume loss but depending on the quantities involved it might not be significant. As always, the important thing is to make sure that whatever you do, you do it consistently. If you have to adjust the solution slightly to get a dilution that works for you, just make sure that you do it the same way every day. The important thing isn't necessarily the absolute numbers, it's the proportion, as you taper down. 

Does that make any sense? I think I may be confusing myself and I actually know what I mean.

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure your compounded solution is mixed with 100% ethanol? It seems to me like it would be more likely to be a mixture with some simple syrup or something (say that five times fast). 

No. I'm not sure yet. And I agree completely with your statement of consistency. 

See the doc in a few. You can be sure I won't be asking him any of these questions… the dude just LOVES to throw out clinical mumble jumble … and all I want to say is "cough up the prescriptions dude…I can figure out the rest".

I really hate to talk about him this sarcastically… he really DOES have a good heart.

RU :) 

• Administrator

Read the label rather than rely on what the doc says.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I didn't know whether to post this in my Introduction thread (moderators feel free to move post) but I had a question about alternating between liquid medication and tablets. I am new to taking oral solution with syringes and don't know if it is safe or recommended to alternate between liquid and tablets. For example, in my planned tapering schedule in my signature, you can see that I am planning to use all of my remaining tablets of Abilify and the oral solution, which I just got a prescription for today. I would use liquid for the whole taper but unfortunately my prescription is only for one bottle of the medicine, which is 150ml. (1ml = 1mg of Abilify). I would quickly run out if I used solely liquid for the taper. I have many small pills which I can use to assist me in completing my taper. Additionally, this will likely be my last prescription for my liquid medicine as the oral solution is being discontinued in less than one month. I have to make it last. I realize my tapering schedule is not totally ideal but I hope it is slow enough for my body to handle.

Is it O.K. to alternate between liquid medicine and pills, as long as I am getting the proper dosage in my body? Or is it recommended that I stick to one method?

Thank you!

P.S. I did a quick search through the forums and I couldn't find a topic with this question in it....I hope this isn't a stupid question.

<p>Successfully weaned off of Prozac, Concerta, Effexor XR, Buspar, Celexa, Lexapro, Seroquel, Geodon, Risperdal, Cogentin, Xanax, Ativan, and Depakote. Currently taking Abilify (7.5mg) and Lamictal 200mg. Hope to complete taper by mid November 2016. <p>For more information see the "About Me" link on my profile.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy