SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ risperdalhater: My Risperdal story and how it has affected my life

risperdalhater

it all started when i had paranoia and panic attacks. they were getting so bad that i had to call the police for help sometimes. i was put in the psych ward and was given risperidone unwillingly, little did i know that this would change my life in a bad way. i was on risperidone for  3 weeks at 3mg a day doses and a couple injections of 7mg.  the risperidone made me feel so uncomfortable that one time when they gave me the pill to swallow, i pretended i swallowed it and instead used my tongue to push it on the side of my mouth to spit out later (they had to watch me take it to make sure i took it).   when i was out of the psych ward i kept taking the drug for a week, then i stopped because it was unbearable...thank god i stopped.

here are the effects of the risperidone that i have and that haven't disappeared still after almost 5 months of being off of it:

- destroyed libido, i even went 51 days without ejaculation...still no libido

- muscle weakness, i used to be a gym rat....goodbye to that i guess

- i gained 14 pounds and i never gain weight like that

- emotions are weakned. when i'm happy, i'm not as happy as i should be. when i'm sad, it feels artificial, but the emotion is still there (hard to explain). i just don't feel normal anymore, just blankness.

my incredible withdrawal after i stopped cold turkey: i was SHAKING so badly. it has so far been the worst experience of my life, the withdrawal lasted two weeks, after that, all that was left are the symptoms above.  i feel extremely tense and tight and for some reason pain felt relieving. when i would walk out in the cold wind, it felt good...it was weird.   

has anyone recovered fully from risperidone?  i have yet to hear a full recovery story but it's nice to know people are going thru the same thing that i am.  thanks for reading.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi risperdalhater, -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA) and thanks for posting an introduction. I have seen a few posts from you around the forums.

Your experience in an inpatient facility sounds horrific and your symptoms resulting from a forced treatment are extremely unfair. The so-called professionals offer "solutions" that are often as intolerable as the symptoms that bring us to them.

Regrettably, PSSD (post-SSRI sexual dysfunction) is a known and not infrequent side-effect and withdrawal symptom from SSRIs and other psych drugs. You may have read seen this thread on PSSD in the Symptoms forum; if not, the link is here for when you're ready to read, scan or browse its 11 pages.

People do recover from neuroleptics like risperidone, even after cold-turkey.  Unfortunately it seems to take time, patience and not pushing oneself too hard.  In his book Mad In America, Robert Whitaker reports a study comparing people who stopped taking neuroleptics with those who continued.  For up to the first two years after discontinuing the drug, those who discontinued had somewhat lowered levels of functioning than those who stayed on the pharmaceuticals.  After 2 years, however those who had stopped increased their ability to function and engage fully in life, while those who continued deteriorated in comparison.

Monica Cassani, who posts here as GiaK, took a 6-drug cocktail including 2 neuroleptics -- Risperdal and Seroquel. Six years after investigating and testing different solutions to address withdrawal, she has declared herself fully recovered.  Although she's no longer posting actively here or on her psych-drug recovery site, there is a ton of helpful content:  Beyond Meds

Have you done an advanced search here in the forums on the tags "risperdal" or "risperidone"?  A simple word search would work too.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. Please put your withdrawal history in signature

A suggestion: You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread.  Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears:  select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, risperdalhater. Welcome to the forum from me, too. I am recovering from antipsychotic use (as well as from many other drugs), and I wanted to assure you that you are going to get better in time. 

Some people report negative results from the use of some supplements; however, many people do find relief with fish oil and magnesium, as they can calm the CNS. Please research all supplements carefully. This will get you started:

King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil)

Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

The emotional "blankness" that you've described is very common during withdrawal and recovery. Even after 30 years of antipsychotic use, my emotions are slowly coming back online. Here are some non-drug coping skills threads and information that may help you get through this phase:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Neuro Emotions

Scallywag wrote, "For up to the first two years after discontinuing the drug, those who discontinued had somewhat lowered levels of functioning than those who stayed on the pharmaceuticals.  After 2 years, however those who had stopped increased their ability to function and engage fully in life, while those who continued deteriorated in comparison." 

This is a study that you may find insightful, along with many other articles on the Mad in America site:

http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/02/interpreting-harrows-20-year-results-are-the-drugs-to-blame/

I used mindfulness to help with rebound psychosis and I'm finding that mindfulness work is now paying off, as these techniques are also great for insomnia, depression, anxiety, and for life in general. So in the long run, the skills that get you through this difficult journey through withdrawal and recovery will serve you well into the future. 

Again, welcome to the forum. 

scallywag and shep, you all are so helpful...thank you so much. i appreciate the advice and i will look into everything you have shown me. it's good to know that after 30 years of psychotic use that you are recovering, shep, it gives me hope.  thanks for the references of the people who have recovered. i guess i will have to be patient and i'm looking forward to developing skills along this journey.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

hey respirdalhater, i am also having side effects from risperidone. I am also new here and getting used to how things wok around here. I'll update my signature and my own story. The story that i posted was not detailed. Anyways keep me updated about your condition. I have been off the drug cold turkey for 4 months. Before that I was taking risperdal 1mg twice daily for 3 months. Its been worse. The libido, emotions... i feel emptiness now. The physical side effects has improved much. I can do activities now. But still feel lazy and need little push for everything.

Hoping for better days. Hope within a year or two I will be recovered. :)

Took RISPOND (RISPERIDONE) 1mg twice daily (morning and night) for 3 months along with Dayo OD 500 at night. Quit cold turkey of all meds in feb 29, 2016. Its been 4 months off the meds now!( as of 29 June, 2016)

Intense withdrawal effect. Not able to focus on something completely. Some memory problems. Passion for everything has died. Everything has to be done forcefully. No enjoyment in listening to a song or watching a movie. Everything seems pointless. Zero libido. Lost the desire and ability to fall in love. Emotions are withdrawn.

its been a while now, taking 2-3 meds in morning and evening. I'll update it tomorrow.
28/03/2017

the feeling is worse. I know. We can fight this together. Lets keep each other updated.

Took RISPOND (RISPERIDONE) 1mg twice daily (morning and night) for 3 months along with Dayo OD 500 at night. Quit cold turkey of all meds in feb 29, 2016. Its been 4 months off the meds now!( as of 29 June, 2016)

Intense withdrawal effect. Not able to focus on something completely. Some memory problems. Passion for everything has died. Everything has to be done forcefully. No enjoyment in listening to a song or watching a movie. Everything seems pointless. Zero libido. Lost the desire and ability to fall in love. Emotions are withdrawn.

its been a while now, taking 2-3 meds in morning and evening. I'll update it tomorrow.
28/03/2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey risperdalhater -- I'm glad you found CharlieBrown's success story of recovery from risperidone and the return of his sex drive and function.  I hoped that you and Deadpool would read it. :)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Yeah Scallywag. Thanks. :ph34r:

28/03/2017

does anyone know if coming off risperidone cold turkey was a bad idea? my withdrawal was pretty intense..

• Administrator

Going off any psychiatric drug cold turkey is not a good idea.

How long has it been since you've been off Risperdal?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

i am pretty sure it has been 5 months since Risperdal.

• Administrator

You'll need to take care of your nervous system to help it heal. See our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you feeling now, risperdalhater? As Alto mentioned, coming off psych drugs cold turkey is never recommended.

But healing still happens. Even after the acute stages of withdrawal, many people coming off antipsychotics report a lot of emotional blunting symptoms. But even these resolve in time. 

You were a short time user, so I'm hoping your recovery will not be so bad. 

How are you feeling now, risperdalhater? As Alto mentioned, coming off psych drugs cold turkey is never recommended.

But healing still happens. Even after the acute stages of withdrawal, many people coming off antipsychotics report a lot of emotional blunting symptoms. But even these resolve in time. 

You were a short time user, so I'm hoping your recovery will not be so bad. 

hi shep, every once in a while i have a little feeling of hope but overall i still don't feel the same as before the drug. i find that it's harder to keep of gained weight  and my libido is still down so perhaps it has to do with my hormones, in fact, my doctor told me i have hyperprolactinemia after blood tests.  i guess i just need more time to heal :/

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, time really does heal a lot, giving us time to add in non-drug coping skills, improve nutrition, etc. And then we come out stronger than we came in.

You mention using a supplement called Vitex over in the Symptoms & Self Care section of the forum. I hadn't heard of that so I looked it up -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12809367

I don't have a background in medicine, so I don't completely understand all of this. However, the abstract mentions Vitex having "dopaminergic compounds," which is concerning because you are healing from a dopamine-decreasing drug. 

Please be careful when using any supplement, but especially anything that can effect dopamine. Right now, your entire dopaminergic system has been thrown off, so giving yourself time to do a re-set is important without interfering with the dopamine system. All of these neurotransmitters (dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine) are in many ways interconnected. So please use caution with supplements.

Yes, time really does heal a lot, giving us time to add in non-drug coping skills, improve nutrition, etc. And then we come out stronger than we came in.

You mention using a supplement called Vitex over in the Symptoms & Self Care section of the forum. I hadn't heard of that so I looked it up -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12809367

I don't have a background in medicine, so I don't completely understand all of this. However, the abstract mentions Vitex having "dopaminergic compounds," which is concerning because you are healing from a dopamine-decreasing drug. 

Please be careful when using any supplement, but especially anything that can effect dopamine. Right now, your entire dopaminergic system has been thrown off, so giving yourself time to do a re-set is important without interfering with the dopamine system. All of these neurotransmitters (dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine) are in many ways interconnected. So please use caution with supplements.

i see... i'll make sure to be careful. i didn't know risperidone decreased dopamine, i guess that makes sense. not gonna lie, i do feel a little desperate for a quick fix which is why i looked into vitex.

i had a couple 7mg "long acting" injections of risperidone. does anyone know how long these injections usually last?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, risperdalhater.

The elimination phase is 7 to 8 weeks after the last injection. When was your last injection? Are you referring to the injections listed in your signature or is this something new?

This is taken from the link Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone):

Tapering off injectable Risperdal Consta
Risperdal may be administered via injection every 2 weeks. This form is called Risperdal Consta. It comes in a range of dosages: 12.5 mg, 25 mg, 37.5 mg, or 50 mg.

One can taper the injections simply by reducing the amount of liquid injected. This is probably the safest way to go off Risperdal Consta -- but it requires the cooperation of a doctor.

If you wish to switch to the tablet form to taper (see below), the following is important http://www.drugs.com...onsta.html#S2.8 :

Pharmacokinetics
Absorption
After a single intramuscular (gluteal) injection of RISPERDAL® CONSTA®, there is a small initial release of the drug (< 1% of the dose), followed by a lag time of 3 weeks. The main release of the drug starts from 3 weeks onward, is maintained from 4 to 6 weeks, and subsides by 7 weeks following the intramuscular (IM) injection. Therefore, oral antipsychotic supplementation should be given during the first 3 weeks of treatment with RISPERDAL® CONSTA® to maintain therapeutic levels until the main release of risperidone from the injection site has begun [see Dosage and Administration (2)]. Following single doses of RISPERDAL® CONSTA®, the pharmacokinetics of risperidone, 9-hydroxyrisperidone (the major metabolite), and risperidone plus 9-hydroxyrisperidone were linear in the dosing range of 12.5 mg to 50 mg.

The combination of the release profile and the dosage regimen (IM injections every 2 weeks) of RISPERDAL® CONSTA® results in sustained therapeutic concentrations. Steady-state plasma concentrations are reached after 4 injections and are maintained for 4 to 6 weeks after the last injection....

Excretion
....The apparent half-life of risperidone plus 9-hydroxyrisperidone following RISPERDAL® CONSTA® administration is 3 to 6 days, and is associated with a monoexponential decline in plasma concentrations. This half-life of 3–6 days is related to the erosion of the microspheres and subsequent absorption of risperidone. The clearance of risperidone and risperidone plus 9-hydroxyrisperidone was 13.7 L/h and 5.0 L/h in extensive CYP 2D6 metabolizers, and 3.3 L/h and 3.2 L/h in poor CYP 2D6 metabolizers, respectively. No accumulation of risperidone was observed during long-term use (up to 12 months) in patients treated every 2 weeks with 25 mg or 50 mg RISPERDAL® CONSTA®. The elimination phase is complete approximately 7 to 8 weeks after the last injection....

shep, i am referring to the injections in my signature. i have been off risperidone for 5 months.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's good to hear. Since it's been well over 8 weeks, the drug is now completely out of your system at this point.

i guess it is completely out of my system. i just hope that i can feel normal again. one day  :unsure:

See I didn't call the police when I was sent to the psych ward, I was forced to. If you called, then maybe you need it.

abilify 2 years

zyprexa 5mg 3yearsn 10mg 3 years, 15 mg 3 years

seroquel 200mg 3 weeks, 175 mg 6 days, 150mg 5-29-16

125mg 6/10/16 100mg 6/20/16 87.5mg 7/8/16

See I didn't call the police when I was sent to the psych ward, I was forced to. If you called, then maybe you need it.

yeah i needed the psych ward but the meds were unnecessary.

• 2 weeks later...

an inspiring risperdal recovery post i saw on another forum (he took risperdal for 3 months along with zoloft and said risperdal ruined his life and certainly his libido):

"I just want to say that the brain will indeed go back to the way it was as long as you stay the course. After my withdrawal from all drugs my brain was healing last year and it actually reset in a phenomenal way. Most if not all can recover from drugs even the most poisonous if you stay away from negativity and try to do what is right in life. I am telling you this as my sex drive did come back literally 100% at a point last year but later actions left me in a state I'm trying to get out of right now. Our faith is definitely tested when things are not looking so bright. Please don't give in to negativity and you will come out on top. Pray for help and don't ever give up hope if you are not fully recovered yet. It is attainable as I have truly recovered fully at a point in time. I later developed a strange food allergy to gluten from side effects of another drug withdrawal. Otherwise I would be fully recovered right now. I wish I didn't post this thread b/c I was actually healing when i initially posted it years ago just at a slower pace than I would have liked. It led me to my own negative spiral b/c of negative reinforcement from others. Else I wouldn't have lost these past 3 years either. Yes these drugs are very harmful but yes again it is possible to make a 100% recovery. Drugs are definitely a crap shoot but life doesn't have to be. "

he posted that update 3 years after his first post titled "risperdal ruined my life", so i assume it took him 3 years to recover, just like CharlieBrown on this forum.  link to the post: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/17058-risperdal-destroyed-my-life/

an inspiring risperdal recovery post i saw on another forum (he took risperdal for 3 months along with zoloft and said risperdal ruined his life and certainly his libido):

"I just want to say that the brain will indeed go back to the way it was as long as you stay the course. After my withdrawal from all drugs my brain was healing last year and it actually reset in a phenomenal way. Most if not all can recover from drugs even the most poisonous if you stay away from negativity and try to do what is right in life. I am telling you this as my sex drive did come back literally 100% at a point last year but later actions left me in a state I'm trying to get out of right now. Our faith is definitely tested when things are not looking so bright. Please don't give in to negativity and you will come out on top. Pray for help and don't ever give up hope if you are not fully recovered yet. It is attainable as I have truly recovered fully at a point in time. I later developed a strange food allergy to gluten from side effects of another drug withdrawal. Otherwise I would be fully recovered right now. I wish I didn't post this thread b/c I was actually healing when i initially posted it years ago just at a slower pace than I would have liked. It led me to my own negative spiral b/c of negative reinforcement from others. Else I wouldn't have lost these past 3 years either. Yes these drugs are very harmful but yes again it is possible to make a 100% recovery. Drugs are definitely a crap shoot but life doesn't have to be. "

he posted that update 3 years after his first post titled "risperdal ruined my life", so i assume it took him 3 years to recover, just like CharlieBrown on this forum.  link to the post: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/17058-risperdal-destroyed-my-life/

a hope atlest. But God 3 years...... ?! (#_#)

28/03/2017

i know, deadpool...its a long time.

i would like to also add in that i was injected with "haloperidol" twice. i recall it making me feel like my chest was going to explode an tranquilizing me leading me to strugglingly yell "help" in the psych ward. i wonder if that played apart in my destroyed libido and severe fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, risperdalhater.

When were there haloperidol injections? Was that back in March or something more recent? 

Hi, risperdalhater.

When were there haloperidol injections? Was that back in March or something more recent? 

it was back during when i took the risperdal 5 months ago

• Moderator Emeritus

This is good to hear. I was afraid it was a recent occurrence. You may want to add this info to your signature.

It takes time for your system to balance out after a major chemical assault by not only one, but two powerful antipsychotics.

In the Mad in America article I linked to earlier in your thread, it discussed the 20 year outcome to Dr. Martin Harrow's study on how people labeled with schizophrenia did so much better if they came off the drugs. In what I've read about this on MiA and schizophrenia forums and articles, many of those people came off within a two-year time frame. So even though you were massively hit with two drugs, you still have a wonderful chance at recovery, even if it does take awhile to completely heal.

I have a feeling you're going to get some windows in there, too. Just try to avoid getting in the trap of trying to help it along with supplements (research first), and check out the non-drug coping skills section.

Non-drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

No reason to think you won't come out of this stronger than when you came in.

Sending healing vibes your way. 

• 2 weeks later...

update of my condition:  i'm feeling a little improvement in strength and energy, just a little, nothing miraculous...i am hoping for something miraculous though. i am having a hard time losing weight and it used to be SO easy for me.  as for my libido, it's just not there that much, i would say it improved 5%, but i'm waiting for a miraculous erection (sounds funny lol) to happen, i'll just have to be patient until then. when i see a beautiful woman, i know she's beautiful, but i just don't feel anything, i don't feel like a man. 20 year olds should have raging libidos.

my doctor doesn't know what to do,  neither does the endocrinologist. i'm afraid of going to a psychologist because they might legally force me on psychotics and suggest i have still schizophrenia feelings or something, so i'm going on a gluten free diet hoping that it will help me.

also does anyone know about kidney function relating to fertility? my creatinine levels are slightly elevated, maybe that's why i'm not feeling well according to the doctor....i still think risperdal is the culprit.

update of my condition:  i'm feeling a little improvement in strength and energy, just a little, nothing miraculous...i am hoping for something miraculous though. i am having a hard time losing weight and it used to be SO easy for me.  as for my libido, it's just not there that much, i would say it improved 5%, but i'm waiting for a miraculous erection (sounds funny lol) to happen, i'll just have to be patient until then. when i see a beautiful woman, i know she's beautiful, but i just don't feel anything, i don't feel like a man. 20 year olds should have raging libidos.

my doctor doesn't know what to do,  neither does the endocrinologist. i'm afraid of going to a psychologist because they might legally force me on psychotics and suggest i have still schizophrenia feelings or something, so i'm going on a gluten free diet hoping that it will help me.

also does anyone know about kidney function relating to fertility? my creatinine levels are slightly elevated, maybe that's why i'm not feeling well according to the doctor....i still think risperdal is the culprit.

Same condition here Risperdalhater!

I spent my days wastefully... not much interest in anything. Even the libido function is not normal. all my passion have died. Its been 5 months since i stopped all the medicine. Slight improvement as you say. :unsure:

28/03/2017

• 2 weeks later...

@deadpool yeah bro, sometimes it feels like forever, but i know it's gonna end one day.  you probably miss your old self just like i do. we gotta wait but we will come back even stronger.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, How are things going for you now?

May 2016 One shot of of haloperidol (amount unknown), 1 dose of seroquel (amount unknown),1unkniwn dose of risperidone followed by 3 doses at 1mg, 2 day period of no meds, 1 dose at 1mg again, 1 at .25, then 1 at .5. Cold turkey quit after a total of 7 doses. Experiencing insomnia, loss of libido, cognitive impairment, apathy, and lethargy

Hello, How are things going for you now?

still just tiny improvement. i haven't really noticed anything except slight libido increase, but erectile dysfunction hasn't really improved.

Glad to know that you are seeing even slight progress. Hope things continue to get better and at a much quicker pace.

May 2016 One shot of of haloperidol (amount unknown), 1 dose of seroquel (amount unknown),1unkniwn dose of risperidone followed by 3 doses at 1mg, 2 day period of no meds, 1 dose at 1mg again, 1 at .25, then 1 at .5. Cold turkey quit after a total of 7 doses. Experiencing insomnia, loss of libido, cognitive impairment, apathy, and lethargy