SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ risperdalhater: My Risperdal story and how it has affected my life

risperdalhater

Hallo risperdalhater, i was on risperdal 6 mg a day for about 3 months, now i also got no feelings no interest and no sexuality i cant even expierince an orgasm. Im really desperate now everyday is just a fight against suicide..I tried to stimulate myself by taking drugs but they had no effects on me...... does anybody found another successtory beside charliebrowns because i think his symptomes wasnt as stronge as mine....

On Risperdal 6 mg a day from february to june

Now on Abilify 20mg Depakine ?mg and seroquel 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Nico, -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

If you would like to ask questions about your medications and situation, please start an introduction topic. 

Link to creating a new topic in the Introductions Forum.

Also, it helps us to see your medication and withdrawal history at a glance in a signature that appears below all your posts. If you decide to create a introduction topic for yourself, would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.

Please put your withdrawal history in signature
x

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hallo risperdalhater, i was on risperdal 6 mg a day for about 3 months, now i also got no feelings no interest and no sexuality i cant even expierince an orgasm. Im really desperate now everyday is just a fight against suicide..I tried to stimulate myself by taking drugs but they had no effects on me...... does anybody found another successtory beside charliebrowns because i think his symptomes wasnt as stronge as mine....

i recall reading a couple more success stories, i think also from a guy who took it for 3 months just like you. i was also suicidal myself too, you're not alone, it really sucks man.  its been 8 months and i'm not even near fully recovered, i took the drug for i think about 3 weeks and had a really bad reaction to it, some people don't get as bad reactions, everyone is different but one thing for sure is that i wouldn't expect a fast recovery....so exercise (Even though you may feel weaker like me) and eat good, drink plenty of water. you can ask the administrators/moderators here on the forum about what supplements you can take for anxiety and sadness. you can take magnesium, i use "calm", it's in powder form and it actually works but you'll be running to the bathroom for number two lol.  

as far as sex drive, mine has SLIGHTLY returned. a couple guys reported sex drive returning a full 100%, but it took a while. but yeah, take it easy, you're gonna have to be strong, friend.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

does anyone know if marijuana can help?  i haven't smoked the stuff in about 3 years, i remember getting overwhelming feelings of joy sometimes but the down side is the paranoia, i don't want to get triggered, but then again "normal" people get paranoid on marijuana.  surely it can't be as bad as those anti-psychotics created by the devil lol.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

hows about the other guys like luca or jim24 what happend to them?

On Risperdal 6 mg a day from february to june

Now on Abilify 20mg Depakine ?mg and seroquel 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

RH a couple of members have recently tested adding cannabis to their recovery routine. It did not go well. Others were using it for pain and neuralgia before decreasing psych drugs and are seeing no new difficulties. You really don't want to add a neuro-psycho-active substance to a destabilized CNS (central nervous system) -- too risky.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 month later...

update:

well...nothing really has changed. i'm beginning to lose hope. people tell me i look sad all the time and it's because i am truly sad, my life seems like a hell right now.  this is my reality.  i hope i recover in 3 years because i've been almost 1 year sober from risperidone and i took the drug for less than a month yet i am still weak, lifeless, and barely have any lust. 

there has to be a cure out there somewhere. i wish these drug creators knew the harm of these drugs....they must not know, but if they do, they are truly monsters.

i love all of you who have supported me, please keep supporting me, you're all i have.

hows about the other guys like luca or jim24 what happend to them?

not sure. i miss jim24, he's the reason i created an account here.

RH a couple of members have recently tested adding cannabis to their recovery routine. It did not go well. Others were using it for pain and neuralgia before decreasing psych drugs and are seeing no new difficulties. You really don't want to add a neuro-psycho-active substance to a destabilized CNS (central nervous system) -- too risky.

makes sense.

• Moderator Emeritus

RH: Thanks for letting us know how things are going for you. I'm sorry to read that you haven't had any noticeable improvements. Let's hope that your CNS (central nervous system) is like a duck: looks like nothing is happening, but paddling hard below the surface.

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 months later...

RH: Thanks for letting us know how things are going for you. I'm sorry to read that you haven't had any noticeable improvements. Let's hope that your CNS (central nervous system) is like a duck: looks like nothing is happening, but paddling hard below the surface.

update: i'm feeling better! still not 100% though.  my voice is becoming clearer and i'm in a better mood and my strength/stamina in the gym is coming back but it still frustrates me that i'm not 100%.....i am literally frustrated and excited at the same time.

this started 3 weeks ago when i began supplementing with niacin (1000mg a day, sometimes 1500mg).  my libido has become better too. 

niacin (AKA vitamin b3) helps with bloodflow and for some people it helps their mood.

side effects of niacin that i know of: flushing and some people reported hives but it is generally a good vitamin and is good for you. 

perhaps i had a niacin deficiency. i still believe risperidone played a part in my problems because the impact happened as soon as i took risperidone, i felt the drug more then i would feel coffee or something....i'm saying the drug was very noticeable, not some barely-feelable ginseng you pick up at the store. that is all....i'll keep updating.

pyroluria, schizophrenia and fatigue:

a family member of mine has pyroluria which causes one to be deficient in vitamin b6, zinc, and niacin and people with pyroluria have fatigue, low libido, and some report schizophrenia. pyroluria is genetic according to my research, so it runs in families.

soon after i used risperidone i found out i had a zinc deficiency, started taking zinc for months, no improvement. started taking zinc and b6, no improvement. 

months later i started niacin, NOTICEABLE improvement in my mood, strength, energy, and libido.

i heard zinc can block b6 and vice versa if taken simultaneously so i started taking b6 in the morning and zinc at night...i feel different, but i need more time to confirm if that actually helped.  hope this helps people....get your blood tested for b vitamins and zinc levels. 

also i heard that just because your vitamin levels are good doesn't mean that they are being fully absorbed ( i heard that from a doctor ).

Hi guys.... Jim and Luca I have been following your anhedonia threads for a few months..... I felt the same void and lack of emotions except for crying which I was not sure was real crying or not. I have felt that since October until early Januray...

I took Risperidone 4mg since a sudden mental hospitalisation in August 2016. I am very anti medication and I was forced to take risperidone.. I had a bad experience with topical steroids for my 'eczema' that gave me a condition called red skin syndrone or topical steroid withdrawal if you google it is hellish..

I believe I had some issues with PTSD like symtoms from that condition as it is relatively unheard of. I smoked weed to kill the pain I also had arguements with my girtlfriend and trouble at work. I then started to feel tired on the tube to work and believed a few people were talking about me.

I had a withdrawal from stopping the weed and didnt sleep or eat for a a week or so properly then heard voices at night as I worried about some thing really silly like my girlfriend lying about me abusing her and calling the cops....

I was then taken away by the police when I ran away from going to a mental hospital in the UK voluntarily... I was then put in this disgusting cell for 72hours which had these mental health team diagnosing me it made my symptoms worse as the bed is terrible and no pillow or contact with relatives.

I felt like a zombie on the risperidone. when I got out I relasised I felt numb and betrayed by the world or something..... I read Jim24 story of no emotions and could relate and also lucadiprosperas.

I also read Peter Breggin things saying the AP meds can lobotomise your brain..... I think they can cause damage but also alot of fear causes damage also...

I had numbness and feeling despair and messed up sleep and eating habits a and stuck in my room since september 2016 to january 2017.

I had waves of feeling or thinking I am feeling something then complete numbness and anger and negative emotions....

I then found a TED talk saying the brain has its own stem cells and it can repair slowly. I also found another site called http://www.alchemyrealm.com/as well as other survivors called Laura Delano who inspired me.

I feared the mental health system before then I woke up and said no more.... I will never let them take me again.... I ate some dark chocolate and had a caffeine rush then listened to some music.... try this it has huge healing qualitiesCarlos Santana believes he is a shaman after a LSD trip... Listen to all his live concerts loud and meditate with the purpose of letting your brain and re training it to feel again.....

Another thing I done to trick my brain is when feeling numb and dark and void like . Just force a huge smile and hold it... force a memory... I think of it like re wiring that circuit and your brain will enjoy this more and re wipe your memory :)

Listen to TED talks...

I took also a good multi vitamin food based... cod liver oil..... valerian root.... ginseng Korean..... magnesium.... complex b vitamin.......... passion flower....... hawthorn extract for the heart...... most importantly a high quality activated charcoal in doses of 13 capsules a day. I done around 20 a day. I believe this helped ALOT due to cleansing the gut out of ****....

I also follow a strict no gluten diet and no sugar in order to built healthy gut and use a good probiotic.....

OK guys so try listening on to that Carlos Santana music... and get up in your room in private and DANCE this is the first door way to feeling again. I play guitar and after dancing I then jammed along and it was loud and I felt it all the vibrations and cried in joy.

I am now in this positive wave for 5 days and pray it continues as I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel now.....

Jim24 and Luca please read the areas on kundalini on the alchemrealm website they are the real reason why you feel empty the psychosis is a HUGE experience and gift but when you have no teacher and come back down to sobriety the realisation that you may never feel that oneness again in this lifetime is feeling a void and numb....

message me back guys I have started to feel again...... I play Dota 2 and a few steam games and have thought of writing a book on these subjects or continuing my electrician career path or music.... My motivation is back.

I know your also will be ..... you have to learn to rebuild your your SHATTERED egos from the psychosis..... try listenening to Alan Watts as he understands the feeling of the void and death..... He helped my other big problem to recovering which was the fear of death.

I literally just believe that there is no reason to fear dying life and death are the same thing.... You wont realise your dead so do not fear it. Just live as healthy as you can. As I believe all illness starts in the mind.

Any way I am no doctor just a ex mental patient who believes hes a musical shaman or druid ....

message me back . Pete

• 1 month later...

I am feeling better as the weeks go by. try to not lose hope, i made that mistake. You will get better. I'm looking forward to the day where i feel 100% and i get to let all of you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read your thread R.H. ,

Very helpful I must say. so you went from months of feeling lifeless back to feeling something? and now life is improving continuously?

late July...lexapro 10 seroquel 25.....due to mild depression......adverse reaction, suicidal thoughts, hospitalization

August....felt that meds were ripping stomach apart....docs didn't believe me..upped meds to seroquel 125, lexapro 20, mirtazapine 30, olanzapine 20....stayed on these drugs unitl mid november......severe anhedonia all the time...mid novemeber 2016 , began taper.....very small windows of emotion...Christmas....off everything by Christmas day......last six weeks, cried and laughed on a number of occasions for first time since taking initial meds....8 occasions of strong emotion over 6 weeks in ealry 2016.......doubting recovery......

BIG WINDOW IN july 2017, felt incredible, lasted a month or so, felt close to recovered...window left, september to Chrimstas 17 was anhedonic hell.....Turn of the year, January 2018, some very strong days (a window) offering renewed hope

back to hell until late February 2018, strong 10 day window....followed by anhedonic wave for 7 months straight! not a flicker of normalcy

September 2018 ...incredible window...followed by three month wave.January 2019.... a strong window

window subsided, but new baseline was higher.....life since January 2019 ( 9 months and counting) has been far better. Complete anhedonia is gone!! God, I've tears writing that. I am far from recovered, but far from hell...to use a scale, if life is rated out of a hundred, I was about minus 50 for the majority of 2 years..I know feel about 30 per cent of self, experiences intermittent flickers of normal life regularly....My days have more quality and I am optimistic of recovery. 

I have been ruined by antipsychotics, been at 3mg risperdal 200mg zoloft for years, which = 5 mg risperdal due to interaction with zoloft.  For 6 days I was on an additional 5mg zyprexa for a grand total equivalent of 8mg risperdal.  My brain is totally numb and lifeless.  Whats worse is that I went on remeron because I had insomnia for a brief time, totally unnecessary but now I have constant tinnitus (from withdrawal).  So I've basically lost everything.  I tried getting off zoloft and risperdal but got insomnia, probably from going too fast.  Am stuck on 3 mg risperdal 200 mg zoloft and 15 mg remeron.  I have been suicidal but the lack of sleep is actually helping my dullness so life is bearable.  I was on 1-3 mg for 2006-2009, went off, and made a full recovery.  So there's hope.  If you get to a point where you're faced with adding drugs or increasing dosages, don't, just wait it out.  I made the mistake of rushing into things out of panic/desperation which is why I got to such a high dose.  Also count your blessings because things can easily and quickly get a hell of a lot worse, as they did for me.

jan 2012: started 1 mg risperdal 50 mg zoloft | sep 2014: 2 mg risperdal 150 mg zoloft | jan 2016: 3 mg risperdal 200 mg zoloft | june - sept 2016: tapered to 1 mg risperdal 50 mg zoloft over 3 months.  reinstated 3 mg risperdal after insomnia.  still at 50 mg zoloft | oct 2016: went off zoloft | nov 2016: insomnia.  reinstated 3 mg risperdal, 200 mg zoloft, plus 15 mg remeron. | april 2017: 22.5 mg remeron.

dec 17 2019: 187.5 mg zoloft | dec 24 2019: 175 mg zoloft | apr 9 2020: 162.5 mg zoloft | may 11 2020: 150 mg zoloft | jan 7 2021: 137.5 mg zoloft | jan 27 2021: 125 mg zoloft | mar 10 2021: 112.5 mg zoloft | 5/26/21: 100 mg zoloft | 6/1/21: 112.5 mg zoloft | 7/29/22: missed whole dose zoloft | 2/3/23: 100 mg zoloft | 2/4/23: 112.5 mg zoloft

3/15/22: 20 mg remeron | 3/18/22: 22.5 mg remeron

current drugs: before bed - 3 mg risperdal, 22.5 mg remeron | morning - 112.5 mg zoloft

current supplements: before bed - 1 g NAC, 1 g lion's mane mushroom | morning - 1 g NAC, 7,500 mcg beta carotene

Good job and good luck. Took zyprexa I'm feeling better too. Let us now

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

• 1 month later...

My libido and emotions came back. i would say i'm back 97%. took about 14 months to recover after taking risperidone for 3 weeks daily pills 2-3mg with at least one long acting injection :).

could be linked to supplementing with niacin. i would try niacin even if your levels are "healthy."  check your blood for vitamins and minerals and see what you need to supplement with.  eat FOOD.

I have been ruined by antipsychotics, been at 3mg risperdal 200mg zoloft for years, which = 5 mg risperdal due to interaction with zoloft.  For 6 days I was on an additional 5mg zyprexa for a grand total equivalent of 8mg risperdal.  My brain is totally numb and lifeless.  Whats worse is that I went on remeron because I had insomnia for a brief time, totally unnecessary but now I have constant tinnitus (from withdrawal).  So I've basically lost everything.  I tried getting off zoloft and risperdal but got insomnia, probably from going too fast.  Am stuck on 3 mg risperdal 200 mg zoloft and 15 mg remeron.  I have been suicidal but the lack of sleep is actually helping my dullness so life is bearable.  I was on 1-3 mg for 2006-2009, went off, and made a full recovery.  So there's hope.  If you get to a point where you're faced with adding drugs or increasing dosages, don't, just wait it out.  I made the mistake of rushing into things out of panic/desperation which is why I got to such a high dose.  Also count your blessings because things can easily and quickly get a hell of a lot worse, as they did for me.

I'm confused, are you alright now?

Great to hear bro..did you have severe anhedonia for a time? and what was it like with feelings coming back? sudden? gradual? amazing?

late July...lexapro 10 seroquel 25.....due to mild depression......adverse reaction, suicidal thoughts, hospitalization

August....felt that meds were ripping stomach apart....docs didn't believe me..upped meds to seroquel 125, lexapro 20, mirtazapine 30, olanzapine 20....stayed on these drugs unitl mid november......severe anhedonia all the time...mid novemeber 2016 , began taper.....very small windows of emotion...Christmas....off everything by Christmas day......last six weeks, cried and laughed on a number of occasions for first time since taking initial meds....8 occasions of strong emotion over 6 weeks in ealry 2016.......doubting recovery......

BIG WINDOW IN july 2017, felt incredible, lasted a month or so, felt close to recovered...window left, september to Chrimstas 17 was anhedonic hell.....Turn of the year, January 2018, some very strong days (a window) offering renewed hope

back to hell until late February 2018, strong 10 day window....followed by anhedonic wave for 7 months straight! not a flicker of normalcy

September 2018 ...incredible window...followed by three month wave.January 2019.... a strong window

window subsided, but new baseline was higher.....life since January 2019 ( 9 months and counting) has been far better. Complete anhedonia is gone!! God, I've tears writing that. I am far from recovered, but far from hell...to use a scale, if life is rated out of a hundred, I was about minus 50 for the majority of 2 years..I know feel about 30 per cent of self, experiences intermittent flickers of normal life regularly....My days have more quality and I am optimistic of recovery. 

Great to hear bro..did you have severe anhedonia for a time? and what was it like with feelings coming back? sudden? gradual? amazing?

thank you. the anhedonia was bad but i don't know if severe would be the right word. it was gradual, not sudden and it was more of a "what a relief" kind of feeling.

Risp what supplement did you take to boost libido? niacain?

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

Risp what supplement did you take to boost libido? niacain?

i believe that a good diet with real food is better than any supplementation.  Niacin (vitamin b3) helps.  

I LOVE that guy...John Grey.

I learned about lithium orotate from him and have been taking it for almost a year.

Niacin is very good indeed!

I'm very happy for your progress Risperdalhater! I'm praying I'll recover from this awful anhedonia they way you have......it's been an eight month nightmare so far. I'll looking forward to the next couple months here.

Risperidone (Risperdal)-3mg from May 2016-Sept.

• Administrator

How are you doing, RH?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

How are you doing, RH?

I am well, thank you for asking. my life is much better even though at one point i thought i would not recover.

• Administrator

Hearing you're doing well will help a lot of people, RH, who, like you, are afraid for a long time they will not get any better.

Thank you.

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Does Niacin have also negative effects?

I want to take supplements but I don't know much about them nd I fear they could worsen my condition

Took Risperdal (4 mg for one week, 2 mg for some weeks and 3 mg for three days) from early August to early September 2016.

Hi RH,

Wish u a more great ahead.

I just want to know about niacinamide as I am going through WD with

Anhedonia a serious factor. I ordered 500mg though to start with along with 2000IU D3.

1) What time is most suitable for taking it if insomnia taken into consideration?

2) Aint 500mg very high to start with ?

3) Is it okay to take along with Pregnenolone? I started it with the minimum 5mg dose today and planning to take it 2 weeks on and off alternate.

I would greatly appreciate your inputs. Please reply

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

Hi RH,

Wish u a more great ahead.

I just want to know about niacinamide as I am going through WD with

Anhedonia a serious factor. I ordered 500mg though to start with along with 2000IU D3.

1) What time is most suitable for taking it if insomnia taken into consideration?

2) Aint 500mg very high to start with ?

3) Is it okay to take along with Pregnenolone? I started it with the minimum 5mg dose today and planning to take it 2 weeks on and off alternate.

I would greatly appreciate your inputs. Please reply

hello.  i think one can take niacin at any time. someone can buy 500mg pills at the grocery store but i guess start off low to stay safe. i posted a video about it from a guy who has way more knowledge than me, scroll up.  no idea about pregnenolone.

Hearing you're doing well will help a lot of people, RH, who, like you, are afraid for a long time they will not get any better.

Thank you.

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

made a recovery success story.  thank you for all of your help and positivity, i appreciate it a lot. :)

• Administrator

Thank you, RH.

As is our custom, I am closing this topic now.

Please congratulate risperdalhater in his Success Story topic risperdalhater I recovered from risperdal aka risperidone