Drug induced hyperprolactinemia (high prolactin)

risperdalhater

has anyone had an anti psychotic (or any drug) induced hyperprolactinemia AKA high prolactin? if so, how did you recover (what drug/supplement/vitamin did you use, diet, etc) or what are you doing to recover?

for those who don't know, high prolactin causes infertility in both men and women causing women to miss periods and men to have erectile dysfunction. 

i assume my high prolactin was caused by risperidone because i haven't felt the same fertility wise ever since i took it. to treat my high prolactin, i am currently using an over the counter supplement called "vitex" which was recommended by John Gray.

John Gray link: 

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

Hi risperdalhater. I was put on antipsychotics when I was at menopause. However the antipsychotic drug geodon did eventually cause breast enlargement from hyperprolactinemia. I have been off geodon for seven months. I have never really investigated what forms of treatment are available. I have read that I am at a higher risk for breast cancer now. Maybe someone else here has experienced this side effect and will have some information. Hope you're feeling better. My withdrawals were intense at times but I am much better now. Glad it was just the one drug for you and you were on for a relatively short time.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

Hi risperdalhater. I was put on antipsychotics when I was at menopause. However the antipsychotic drug geodon did eventually cause breast enlargement from hyperprolactinemia. I have been off geodon for seven months. I have never really investigated what forms of treatment are available. I have read that I am at a higher risk for breast cancer now. Maybe someone else here has experienced this side effect and will have some information. Hope you're feeling better. My withdrawals were intense at times but I am much better now. Glad it was just the one drug for you and you were on for a relatively short time.

i see. well i am glad you're feeling better and yeah i'm definitely happy that i only used one drug for a short time and that i stopped it, it could have been much worse.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

Risperidone (Risperdal) is one of the highest likelihood antipsychotic agents to cause hyperprolactinaemia, absolutely true, it's notorious for it. So notorious that it has led to multiple lawsuits to emerge due to gynecomastia complaints (male breast growth).

Risperdal Lawsuit Information

Latest Risperdal Victory Tips Litigation Scales

http://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/time-for-j-j-to-pay-up-124m-risperdal-case-as-scotus-deflects-final-appeal

As far as resolutions go.

Even though it's for a different med, same solutions are warranted.

Dealing with AAP-Prolactin Excess

Then...

Symptoms of High Prolactin in Men (Symptoms of Elevated Prolactin Levels in Men)

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

Risperidone (Risperdal) is one of the highest likelihood antipsychotic agents to cause hyperprolactinaemia, absolutely true, it's notorious for it. So notorious that it has led to multiple lawsuits to emerge due to gynecomastia complaints (male breast growth).

http://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/time-for-j-j-to-pay-up-124m-risperdal-case-as-scotus-deflects-final-appeal

Then...

Symptoms of High Prolactin in Men (Symptoms of Elevated Prolactin Levels in Men)

thank you. i will look into P5P, pantothenic acid and American Ginseng.

Then...

thank you. i will look into P5P, pantothenic acid and American Ginseng.

Why would a Doctor not alert you I wonder on Prolactin sides? 

The thing with Risperdal is it is slightly better for cognition/memory than other antipsychotics, and it's serotoninergic-antagonism properties help to relieve side-effects with exception of prolactin; truth is it's pharmacology is better than most anti-psychotics with exception of the anti-dopaminergic property. Abilify is just about the only anti-psychotic that doesn't increase prolactin, in fact, it decreases it. {http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3657283/}

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

@Area1255 i have no idea why. i signed a contract by some psychologists to take risperidone, maybe there was some information on there. they didn't tell me anything about prolactin, breast growth, anhedonia....anything, they just gave me a contract sheet to sign and unfortunately i didn't read it.

@Area1255 i have no idea why. i signed a contract by some psychologists to take risperidone, maybe there was some information on there. they didn't tell me anything about prolactin, breast growth, anhedonia....anything, they just gave me a contract sheet to sign and unfortunately i didn't read it.

Always read the pamphlets you get with the medication! At least do your research before taking the first pill, some have more side-effects than others, some people won't experience any side-effects. Depends on the person, the drug, the dosage and the persons personal metabolism and other medications/supplements.

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Risperdal is grossly over-prescribed though, and although overall it may have a better side-effect profile than some others, Prolactin is still a huge issue that should be marked in red on the Pharmacy booklets.

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

• Administrator

Area, what do you mean, a better side-effect profile than others? What is the source for your information? Please stop making these pronouncements without sources.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

If you have used cabergoline or bromocriptine or anything prescribed to treat high prolactin, please let us know how it went, your side effects, and if you were cured.  

Area, what do you mean, a better side-effect profile than others? What is the source for your information? Please stop making these pronouncements without sources.

In terms of agitation and EPS; Extrapyramidal side-effects are remarkably lower in Risperidone than most of all other meds in its class. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8984849

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18466670

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17629731

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

• Administrator

Area125, stop making those ex cathedra pronouncements about drugs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27370402

Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016 Jul 2;7:CD010832. [Epub ahead of print]
Fluphenazine (oral) versus atypical antipsychotics for schizophrenia.
Sampford JR1, Sampson S, Li BG, Zhao S, Xia J, Furtado VA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Fluphenazine is a typical antipsychotic drug from the phenothiazine group of antipsychotics. It has been commonly used in the treatment of schizophrenia, however, with the advent of atypical antipsychotic medications, use has declined over the years.

OBJECTIVES:
To measure the outcomes (both beneficial and harmful) of the clinical effectiveness, safety and cost-effectiveness of oral fluphenazine versus atypical antipsychotics for schizophrenia.

SEARCH METHODS:
We searched the Cochrane Central Register of Studies (25 April 2013). For the economic search, we searched the Cochrane Schizophrenia Group Health Economic Database (CSzGHED) on 31 January 2014 SELECTION CRITERIA: All randomised controlled trials (RCTs) comparing fluphenazine (oral) with any other oral atypical antipsychotics.

DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS:
Review authors worked independently to inspect citations and assess the quality of the studies and to extract data. For homogeneous dichotomous data we calculated the risk ratio (RR) and 95% confidence interval (CI), and calculated the mean differences (MDs) for continuous data. We assessed risk of bias for included studies and used GRADE (Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation) to rate the quality of the evidence.

MAIN RESULTS:
Four studies randomising a total of 202 people with schizophrenia are included. Oral fluphenazine was compared with oral amisulpride, risperidone, quetiapine and olanzapine.Comparing oral fluphenazine with amisulpride, there was no difference between groups for mental state using the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS) (1 RCT, n = 57, MD 5.10 95% CI -2.35 to 12.55, very low-quality evidence), nor was there any difference in numbers leaving the study early for any reason (2 RCTs, n = 98, RR 1.19 95% CI 0.63 to 2.28, very low-quality evidence). More people required concomitant anticholinergic medication in the fluphenazine group compared to amisulpride (1 RCT, n = 36, RR 7.82 95% CI 1.07 to 57.26, very low-quality evidence). No data were reported for important outcomes including relapse, changes in life skills, quality of life or cost-effectiveness.Comparing oral fluphenazine with risperidone, data showed no difference between groups for 'clinically important response' (1 RCT, n = 26, RR 0.67 95% CI 0.13 to 3.35, very low-quality evidence) nor leaving the study early due to inefficacy (1 RCT, n = 25, RR 1.08 95% CI 0.08 to 15.46, very low-quality evidence). No data were reported data for relapse; change in life skills; quality of life; extrapyramidal adverse effects; or cost-effectiveness.Once again there was no difference when oral fluphenazine was compared with quetiapine for clinically important response (1 RCT, n = 25, RR 0.62 95% CI 0.12 to 3.07, very low-quality evidence), nor leaving the study early for any reason (1 RCT, n = 25, RR 0.46 95% CI 0.05 to 4.46, very low-quality evidence). No data were reported for relapse; clinically important change in life skills; quality of life; extrapyramidal adverse effects; or cost-effectiveness.Compared to olanzapine, fluphenazine showed no superiority for clinically important response (1 RCT, n = 60, RR 1.33 95% CI 0.86 to 2.07, very low-quality evidence), in incidence of akathisia (1 RCT, n = 60, RR 3.00 95% CI 0.90 to 10.01, very low-quality evidence) or in people leaving the study early (1 RCT, n = 60, RR 3.00 95% CI 0.33 to 27.23, very low-quality evidence). No data were reported for relapse; change in life skills; quality of life; or cost-effectiveness.

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS:
Measures of clinical response and mental state do not highlight differences between fluphenazine and amisulpride, risperidone, quetiapine or olanzapine. Largely measures of adverse effects are also unconvincing for substantive differences between fluphenazine and the newer drugs. All included trials carry a substantial risk of bias regarding reporting of adverse effects and this bias would have favoured the newer drugs. The four small short included studies do not provide much clear information about the relative merits or disadvantages of oral fluphenazine compared with newer atypical antipsychotics.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

i've tried many things with zero results such as: maca, american ginseng, korean ginseng, muira puama, P5P, zinc, D aspartic acid, , fenugreek, vitex, tongkat ali, 6 bromo, mucunua pruriens and a bunch of testosterone booster blends. transaderm and phytoserms seem a bit different because they're so expensive but i have little faith in them because i've tried many things, but if i knew they would help me, i would buy it in 2 milliseconds. it's actually been 7 months and i have no luck in my zero libido, low energy, and low motivation no matter what i use.

the only thing left to try is pt-141, transaderm, phytoserms (i have little faith in trans and phyto plus they're expensive) and cabergoline which my doctor doesn't even want to prescribe me because my prolactin isn't high enough.  i really wish something could fix it quickly. also i'm going on a gluten free diet to see if that helps although i am sure risperdal is the problem.  of course, my doctor just thinks i'm depressed, maybe they should study anti-psychotics a little more.

i guess only time will tell when i get out of this hell. excuse my negativity, it's just how i feel.

• Moderator Emeritus

Guys,hyperprolactinemia causes some distressing symptoms. Discussing drug treatments, however, for this or any other condition is inconsistent with SA's purpose to help people safely REMOVE themselves from pharmaceuticals.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Guys,hyperprolactinemia causes some distressing symptoms. Discussing drug treatments, however, for this or any other condition is inconsistent with SA's purpose to help people safely REMOVE themselves from pharmaceuticals.

got it. i'll be more careful with my words, i don't intend to encourage anyone to use pharma drugs, i'm just frustrated about my symptoms.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi risperdalhater and Area,

If you wish to discuss this, please do so privately.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

I hope you understand that a drug-induced symptom such as hyperprolactinemia means the drug has caused some dysregulation in your hormonal systems, which may not show up in tests because they're designed to identify known conditions, and tweaking the hormonal systems with additional drugs is very unpredictable.

Endocrinology is a field of vast unknowns.

Most of the discussion catered to supplements and research.

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

• Moderator Emeritus

Most of the discussion catered to supplements and research.

Most, not all.  Please keep comments on the forum related to supplements and research. Also, when you post a link please provide a bit of context:

• where does the link lead? e.g. NIH abstract on [x]
  • what value is there in the posted link? e.g. conclusions that substance [y] has significant impact on [x]

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 month later...

I've had my levels tested today for this. Will gets results back in a couple of days. I've had 2 periods this month :(

Started Fluoxetine 40mg In 2010

Switched to citalopram 2011.Fluoxetine made me very drowsy.

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

Almost 2 years med free, happy and less anxiety.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Stopped cit 01/8/16. Stopped quetiapine 3/8/16

Taking fish oil

I had slighty high prolactin after Citalopram and Amisulpride.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

I had slighty high prolactin after Citalopram and Amisulpride.

Yup, those two tend to elevated Prolactin. Amisulpride works best without an SSRI, if you aren't on any serotonergic drugs, it's easier to get the Prolactin down.

Amisulpride should be kept at 12.5 mg - 25 mg if you don't want side-effects, it's a good medication, I just don't like the hypotensive effects at higher doses. It should only be used here and there *as-needed* not every day. Don't use beta-blockers or other hypotensives while on it, including herbal medications.

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

I'm currently tapering off citalopram (at 12mg, was at 20mg for 3 months) and within a month of being on the drug my prolactin shot up pretty high (I'm a guy, my doc thought I may have had a pituitary tumor because of its level). 

The hyperprolactinemia caused gynecomastia and galactorrhea, both of which only got noticeably better with tapering (pretty immediately; still a problem, just less so at the lower dose).

As far as supps, my doc recommended OmegaGenics EFA 1000 Combination (order through a site called metagenics) because it had GLA which she said would help with my fibrocystic breasts (not sure if it really affects prolactin, or if it even helped, but didn't hurt).

I hope it gets better with time. Cit messed up a lot of my hormones (most notably my hunger hormones) so I get how frustrating it is

Fingers crossed for everyone.

4/24/16: 20 mg citalopram

8/1/16: 15 mg

8/22/16: 10 mg

9/16/16: reinstated to 12 mg

12/1/16: 11 mg

2/20/17: 10 mg

11/20/17: CT, med free

1/18/18: began regimen (keto, synthroid, supps, etc.)

11/21/18: off keto, lowered synthroid, began exercise

2/07/19: off synthroid/all supps

4/15/19: began tirosint (clean version of synthroid, with less side effects)

• 8 months later...
On 06/08/2016 at 7:57 PM, risperdalhater said:

i've tried many things with zero results such as: maca, american ginseng, korean ginseng, muira puama, P5P, zinc, D aspartic acid, , fenugreek, vitex, tongkat ali, 6 bromo, mucunua pruriens and a bunch of testosterone booster blends. transaderm and phytoserms seem a bit different because they're so expensive but i have little faith in them because i've tried many things, but if i knew they would help me, i would buy it in 2 milliseconds. it's actually been 7 months and i have no luck in my zero libido, low energy, and low motivation no matter what i use.

the only thing left to try is pt-141, transaderm, phytoserms (i have little faith in trans and phyto plus they're expensive) and cabergoline which my doctor doesn't even want to prescribe me because my prolactin isn't high enough.  i really wish something could fix it quickly. also i'm going on a gluten free diet to see if that helps although i am sure risperdal is the problem.  of course, my doctor just thinks i'm depressed, maybe they should study anti-psychotics a little more.

i guess only time will tell when i get out of this hell. excuse my negativity, it's just how i feel.

hi there,

What is your prolactin level now?

I took zyprexa and i have high prolactin too

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2017 at 1:54 PM, Bobo32 said:

hi there,

What is your prolactin level now?

I took zyprexa and i have high prolactin too

Hows it going with the prolactin?

cheers

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy