SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sheri755: Effexor XR Reinstatement Amount?

Sheri755

Scallywag, I will hold at 5 beads and take the Curamin in the afternoon again. I will also begin documenting how I feel daily.

Thanks so much!

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheri755

• JanCarol

• scallywag

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi StarLiteGirl,

Would you please share the Lichen Planus support link with me? I've had Lichen Sclerosis for about 7 years and now may have Lichen Planus in my mouth. I'm not seeking treatment for the Planus for the fear that a doctor will recommend medication that my CNS doesn't need while in Effexor withdrawal.

Thank you so much!!

Sherri - just a note about your post in the windows and waves topic. I had a look at starlitegirlx's profile. She hasn't logged in since June 2015 and she doesn't seem to be following the Windows topic. You might have better luck in getting a response if you try the messenger to contact her.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for letting me know.

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sheri - sorry you caught another wave.  Like Scally said, this is normal in the windows and waves pattern of healing.  Sadly so.

It is important too, not to overdo when you are feeling good, because you can shut the window too quickly and crash.  I know the pattern - you get so far behind on everything, and when you feel well enough you feel you need to get it all done before you crash again - but doing it that way brings the crash down faster and harder.

Smooth and slow, steady as she goes.  Pace yourself, even when you are feeling well.  The Chronic Fatigue (and other chronic illness) people call it "spoons."  Most people have a few hundred spoons of energy to spend a day, but we might only have a dozen.  Sometimes you can spend a whole spoon just putting your shoes on.  Sometimes an activity will expand your spoons (I find that yoga does that - when I do yoga, it slows me down for the next day, but following days have just a few spoons more.  Walking, too, if it is just a 10 minute walk, gives me an extra spoon).  But yesterday, I ate some sugar, so today I have fewer spoons.  

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/  and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory

Managing your spoons will be different from everyone else.  Some people in withdrawal can get away with more than others.  Some people have been bedridden, exercise intolerant, and limited to just 4-5 foods that they could eat.   Others are able to exercise and eat and "lead a normal life"  

Because of your fast taper, you will likely have a number of windows and waves to go through.  

I really like Bubble's phrase:  "Brain is closed down for repairs."  I'd like to expand on that a bit - parts of your brain are closed down.  Imagine very complicated road works with about 25 intersections coming together.  This week, the traffic lights are shut down, and you need a cop to manage the intersection.  When that is repaired, well, maybe they need to re-do the shoulders, so they can divert traffic onto them for later when the lanes are being repaired.  Then there's the repairing of the lanes - it doesn't all happen at once.  Sometimes they need to rip up the old tarmac, change all the drainage routes, relocate the services for electricity and plumbing, get down to the foundation, and re-grade it, lay new gravel, then steel rebar, pouring concrete foundation, then laying the asphalt.  Sometimes you will go for 5 months, and the road is still closed, but you can't see what they are doing to it!  Each phase requires time to set and dry.  Then you can paint the lines on it, and go to another part of the intersection - perhaps one of the other incoming roads needs the same treatment.  Perhaps there are exit ramps and roundabouts and flyover lanes that need repair.  Each of which takes time.

Now imagine the millions of networks in your brain healing - they don't just, "heal" and be done.  It's a construction process, like Bubble says.  Road works for the brain. 

Just my way of saying, be patient with yourself.  It might be the tarmac this week - but the lines aren't on the road and you're disoriented.  Maybe the signals are crossed at the intersections, or the signs are removed or there are detours.  Be gentle with yourself, be patient with yourself.  It's a complex process, and the gentler you are, the more easily you will heal.  It does no good to shake your fist and yell at the construction guys while they are doing their work!  So just wave (lol, wave!) at the worker, declare to yourself, "This is yet another symptom of withdrawal," and drive carefully past the obstacle.

That looks like an amazing (if expensive) multi-vitamin.  I subscribe to ConsumerLabs so that I can find out what is best to take.

Consumer Labs writes about "natural vitamins":

Using supplements made from whole foods won't necessarily give you more vitamins (in fact, they typically contain more modest amounts of vitamins

than other dietary supplements), but you will get other plant compounds which could be of potential benefit (as well as some grams of fiber if you are
consuming, for example, spoonfuls of a whole food powder as opposed to a pill). Paying a premium price for this, however, may not be worthwhile and
ConsumerLab.com has found lead contamination in some whole food and "greens" products.

Regarding natural vs. synthetic forms of vitamins in dietary supplements, sometimes natural is better, sometimes synthetic is better, and sometimes it
doesn't matter. Keep in mind that all can help prevent or treat deficiencies and other conditions, and nearly all are known to be harmful at too high a
dose.

They have not reviewed your specific vitamin, so I cannot comment on that.

I have 3 objections:  

1. It is a complex.  You might react to something in it, but you won't know if it is B6 or Chamomile.
  2. It contains B Vitamins, which should only be trialed singly, one at a time.  You might do well on B3  but cannot tolerate B6, or maybe you need your B6 in another form, like P5P.  B vitamins are notorious for activating withdrawal reactions.
  3. It contains a kitchen sink of herbs.  Most companies just throw the kitchen sink into their products, and hope that something works.  Again, the lemon balm might help you, or the Tulsi (holy basil) - or it might not.  You might react to the lemon balm (contains l-theanine) or your might react to the chamomile.  How do you know which one you are reacting to?

It's probably, like neurofeedback, and excellent thing for a healthy person to take.  But someone in withdrawal needs to be more careful.

Just to check - did your onset of wave start with taking this supplement?

It is more expensive to take single vitamins - but maybe not.  Because you will know what works and what doesn't.  Like the curcumin - could you live without it?  I couldn't! 

So Scally's advice to take it away from your beads is excellent advice.  I would tend to take your beads seperately from everything else, if possible.

My curcumin just got doubled by my orthomolecular doc, she says it can only help.   Maybe, if you want to try the miraculous "Holy Basil" or Tulsi, you could try it in a tea.  That makes it a "food" and safer to try.  It's quite tasty, and that is how I take it.  I probably have just one cup a month, which is not a huge amount, but I do like it well enough to keep buying the tea (but probably not the supplement).  But that's me.

Please put the date that you reinstated your beads in your signature so that we can track your progress.  You've been on 5 beads for - 2 weeks?  Since 17-July-2016?

You could increase your beads at some point, but it's a tightrope to walk - adjustments in dose are destabilizing, too.  You don't want to updose every time you hit a wave (waves are normal in withdrawal), but you also don't want to prolong suffering.  BrassMonkey talks about WDNormal - it's not "normal" but it's "normal for withdrawal."  You may not be symptom free, but you are "as stable as you get."  I know this is confusing to talk about.  It's your body.  I think you got enough benefit from the 5 beads, that you might hold there indefinitely.  

I would say that unless things got horribly worse you should leave your dose alone, like Scally suggested.

Sorry this was so long, I hope I was able to address most of your questions!

And I hope that you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thank you Jan!!

I just love you insight. I think that's exactly what I did. The grandkids have been wanting to come over but haven't been able to because of me. We had two pretty full days with a lot more stimuli than I've been accustomed to lately. I was incredibly happy from 7-14 -- 7-24. I'm taking the Curamin 5 hrs after the 5 beads with nothing an hour before or an hour after. Would 30 minutes be long enough to wait? The reason I ask is that I also take bio-identical thyroid that needs to be taken on an empty stomach. Sometimes I get really hungry waiting so long to eat.

I'm not able to do much walking because of my Spondylolisthesis. My vertebrae is perfectly aligned when lying down but three shift forward out of place when standing/walking, causing painful muscle spasms. It's structural and no cure as far as I've found. The Curamin is helping with the inflammation. Thank goodness.

Jan, what does stabilize mean in my case?

Great info on the whole food supplements! You are very thorough. ???? It helps me to understand and not stress when things are fully explained. I appreciate it so very much! Oh, I'm feeling a little better today but not pushing it.

Thanks Again!!

I'm really suffering. Bedridden. I had 10 great days after reinstating with 5 beads, then about 3-4 days of not feeling as well. Now I have begun to feel much worse. Two days ago (Sunday afternoon) I felt a little relief.

I was able to read a little here about Vit D and B12 but afraid to change anything. I put the beads in water this morning instead of the veggie capsule.

I'm in overwhelming pain. Please help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sheri, please keep your dosing consistent even the way you take it. Putting the beads in water is likely to dissolve the enteric and extended-release coating on the beads.

In all likelihood this is a wave. :( Please keep notes of your dose times and the timing of your symptoms -- when they occur, change intensity and disappear.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I will. You know, I noticed a twinge of improvement after eating a bowl of watermelon Sunday. Thought I'd try it again, maybe a fluke, but I'm not wide-eyed with fear as I was. I am keeping daily notes and will be more detailed as to changes. I'll also return to using the veggie caps.

I'm updating my med/supplements info. in my profile. Would you mind taking a look to see if I need to increase/decrease or stop anything? Main concerns are Curcumin and L- Threonate amounts. I would feel better if someone checked them out for me.

Thanks so much,

Sheri

I'll post my updated meds/supplements here.

Updated 8-2-16

Meds/Supplements

Thyroid 7 am

Effexor 8 am

Vyvanse &

Clonazepam 9 am

Probiotic &

L-Threonate

Mag.- (500 mg) 11 am

Fish Oil 12 pm

Nordic Naturals

EPA Xtra

EPA-1060 mg

DHA- 300 mg &

Vit E- 200 mg 12 pm

Glicanate Mag

100 mg 2 pm

L-Theanine 3 pm

Clonazepam 4 pm

Curamin

3,608 mg 5:30 pm

(All) 10 pm

Estradiol

Progesterone

Testosterone

Clonazepam

NightTime

Mag L-Threonate

(500 mg)

I read that Curcumin causes other meds/supplements not to be absorbed properly. I take it for Spondylolisthesis, otherwise it would be a prescription anti inflammatory.

Thoughts on this and maybe increase L-Threonate Magnesium?

Hey Sheri - sorry you caught another wave.  Like Scally said, this is normal in the windows and waves pattern of healing.  Sadly so.

It is more expensive to take single vitamins - but maybe not.  Because you will know what works and what doesn't.  Like the curcumin - could you live without it?  I couldn't! 

So Scally's advice to take it away from your beads is excellent advice.  I would tend to take your beads seperately from everything else, if possible.

My curcumin just got doubled by my orthomolecular doc, she says it can only help.   Maybe, if you want to try the miraculous "Holy Basil" or Tulsi, you could try it in a tea.  That makes it a "food" and safer to try.  It's quite tasty, and that is how I take it.  I probably have just one cup a month, which is not a huge amount, but I do like it well enough to keep buying the tea (but probably not the supplement).  But that's me.

Please put the date that you reinstated your beads in your signature so that we can track your progress.  You've been on 5 beads for - 2 weeks?  Since 17-July-2016?

You could increase your beads at some point, but it's a tightrope to walk - adjustments in dose are destabilizing, too.  You don't want to updose every time you hit a wave (waves are normal in withdrawal), but you also don't want to prolong suffering.  BrassMonkey talks about WDNormal - it's not "normal" but it's "normal for withdrawal."  You may not be symptom free, but you are "as stable as you get."  I know this is confusing to talk about.  It's your body.  I think you got enough benefit from the 5 beads, that you might hold there indefinitely.  

I would say that unless things got horribly worse you should leave your dose alone, like Scally suggested.

Jan, thank you! To answer your question. I haven't taken the whole foods multi vitamin in well over a month.

Also am making sure to not take the Curcumin close to anything else as it may interfere with absorption.

Would you mind taking a look at my current regime? I welcome any input that you may have.

With Gratitude,

Sheri

Jan, thank you! To answer your question. I haven't taken the whole foods multi vitamin in well over a month.

Also am making sure to not take the Curcumin close to anything else as it may interfere with absorption.

Would you mind taking a look at my current regime? I welcome any input that you may have.

With Gratitude,

Sheri

I would love and appreciate feedback. You guys are the best and I don't know where I'd be now without your guidance.❤️

• Moderator Emeritus

The reason I ask is that I also take bio-identical thyroid that needs to be taken on an empty stomach. Sometimes I get really hungry waiting so long to eat. 

Oh, me too!  It's so frustrating having alarms go off in the afternoon, and trying to get that thyroid dose in without any other thing.  I take 2 doses a day, the early morning one is easy, I take it in my sleep - when I get up to go to the bathroom, I take the thyroid and go back to bed.  But the second dose can ruin a whole day sometimes, and we cannot have dinner until 7 pm!

The thyroid rules say 2 hours after food, or 1 hour before.  That's probably a "digestion rule," rather than exclusive to thyroid, so can you take your beads separate from everything else?  I get up a few times in the early morning - if I were me, I'd take the thyroid at one of them, and the effexor beads at another.

OK the supplements.  First, you can do your own research here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-treatments-diet

It looks like your thyroid / effexor is nicely spaced out.

It's so wrong that you have to take your vyvanse with a benzo in order to tolerate it!  (in the old days, we would call this "speedballing," and it was a sure-fire way to go crazy - "watch out for him, man, he's been speedballing.")  

I cannot remember what your long term plan is for this.  I know you are stabilizing from the CT Effexor, but that would be the next thing to address.

It looks like you are getting mag throughout the day - I think you are probably getting enough.

If I would bring something up, it might be to double your fish oil, if you can tolerate it.  You are taking one of the best $$$ brands in the world, so that would double your costs, but while I take 8x cheap fish oils per day, perhaps you can find a place to add another - perhaps when you take your hormones?  Or maybe your night mag?  

Mag L-threonate - I read somewhere that it can be stimulating?  Anyhow, I moved all my l-threonate to the afternoon and my l-glycinate to the nighttime, based on that.  HOWEVER, if you are sleeping okay, leave it the way it is.  Only shift it if you find your sleep is not as good as you would like it to be.  That is a potential adjustment you could make.

I cannot remember why you are on the hormones?  Dr. Kelly Brogan, Gynecologist/Psychiatrist is not keen on birth control or hormone replacement.  Here's what she says:  http://tv.greenmedinfo.com/head-estrogen-dominance-dr-kelly-brogan-md/

Again, keep it all the same, just learn learn learn about how you want to be well (you are good at that!)

If anything, see if you can increase the fish oil?  That's the only change I would even consider now, while you are stabilising!

It's great to see that you are taking it easy and doing better!

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• 2 weeks later...

The general wisdom is, if your symptoms kept you from normal functioning (like a trip) - it's not time to drop.

If you feel really good for a month, wait another month.

Down to the last beads of Effexor, you really cannot go too slowly, because dropping a whole bead is more than 10%!

If you look on the Effexor thread, you will see that towards the end of tapers, people start sorting their beads into small, medium and large - so that the first taper isn't dropping a whole bead, It's 4 large beads and 1 medium one (for example).

Start paying attention to bead size, then, when you are ready to taper, you'll be able to make a gentle slide down to the next level.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what to do. I've been holding at 5 beads. My symptoms were mild to low moderate through about 8-26, then improved greatly from 8-26 through 9-12. The only thing that changed was that I ran out of a homeopathic imprint spray, Neuro Trans (KH-42) by Apex Energetics.

I saw a naturopath who is treating me for a fluke, not having a gall bladder, not absorbing nutrients, etc. She found a thyroid issue which led to a biopsy of a large nodule which came back benign. She has me on several supplements that I began on 8-12.

I see my dr in two days, 9-13. He indicated that my thyroid meds need to be doubled and may treat the adrenal issue that he found.

The paranoia, fear and anxiety are VERY high. I need your help. Should I stop these supplements? I was ok on them for a month. Also, should I let him treat me for the adrenal problem that he found?

Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

What new supplements are you taking now Sheri? What was the adrenal issue that your doctor found and what treatment is he suggesting?

I really don't know much about thyroid issues but some of our other mods do and I'm sure you will get some help with that soon.

It sounds like your effexor reinstatement is working well. This could just be part of the windows/waves pattern of stabilization. If I were you I would keep holding at 5 beads, at least until you get the other issues sorted out.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sheri!

I agree with Petunia, it's probably good to hold and stabilise on your 5 beads.  Like maybe even for a year - you can use the time to get off the Vyvanse?

I don't understand what you are asking about the homeopathy.  Are you saying you got better when you ran out of homeopathic remedy?

There is not a single molecule of anything other than water in homeopathic remedies.  And yet, the energy of water - some people respond to them.  Some say it is because of this:  The Memory of Water

Can you get your thyroid test results?  This could be important.  First, it will show if he is testing a full spectrum of thyroid, or if he is just looking at TSH (many doctors do this, and prescribe only based on TSH, which is actually a pituitary hormone).  I'm a little worried that doubling your thyroid dose might be extreme - but it might be exactly what you need, too.  Perhaps you can taper it in?  Increase it a week at a time, to make sure you don't go stark raving on it?

Is this Natural Dessicated Thyroid (animal source) or thyroxine (chemical equivalent)?

You can learn more here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1593-thyroid-symptoms-hypothyroid-hashimotos/

Also, there is a ton of stuff to be learned at http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Are you being told you have "adrenal fatigue?"  You can consider this:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1591-withdrawal-syndrome-vs-adrenal-fatigue/

Keep in mind that these drugs, and withdrawal from them, make your whole endocrine system go whacky, and numbers which are weird now, might straighten up.

I hope you see the sun today!

Hi Sheri-- you PMed me about WDnormal.  Here is the post I have in my intro thread about it.

I see WDnormal as the overall baseline of where you are in general. The place you are when you're not feeling good, but you're not feeling bad. Sorta a rolling average of the past couple of months between the windows and waves.  Watching the level of WDnormal is a good indicator that things are improving.  Over time you should be seeing a raising of the standard for WDnormal.  So how you're feeling now is better than say six months ago. It changes very slowly but is a really good indicator.

Many people have the idea that stability is feeling good again, when in fact it's feeling the same level of blah day after day with no big swings to the better or bad. When a person does a drop in dose there will be a corresponding increase in WD symptoms over the next few days.  These symptoms will resolve themselves over the following several weeks and return the person to a slightly raised baseline of discomfort. The time frame and severity are dependent on a huge number of factors and end up being unique to each individual.  But the pattern remains.  This is why paying attention to your WDnormal is very important.  It is also referred to as listening to your body.  After a drop in dose and the symptoms have resolved to WDnormal the person then should wait a couple of more weeks to let things really settle out (there are a lot of little unfelt changer still going on) before considering doing their next drop.

Hope you find it helpful.

During that waiting time people may think that they're not doing anything and want to get on with it.  When in fact doing nothing is very proactive.  It's those little unfelt things that need to be finished up before the next step can be taken.  It's letting the glue harden, the paint dry, the cement cure.  The things that need to be complete before the path is safe to walk on again.  If these details are ignored then they start to pile up and compound each other, then somewhere down the line the foundation slips out from under us and the whole thing collapses.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Petunia and Jan:

Thank you. I'm lying in bed full of terror. I'll do my best to answer your questions and am so grateful for you.

Jan, I started to feel worse when I ran out of the Neuro Trans Homeopathy. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow to get my thyroid results and I'll get a copy. Yes, I have been taking compounded bio-identical hormones

and will continue with them.

The Naturopath who gave me all these supplements thinks that I may have Hashimoto's. I will get all test results tomorrow including the one for MTHFR. Yes, the doctor thinks I have adrenal issues. He mentioned the word stress and fight or flight. I'll know more tomorrow after I see him.

There's so many supplements with many ingredients. I'm a little afraid of stopping the treatment of the fluke. I just don't know. I've been on all of these since 8-11. My follow up with the natuopath is on 10-11. What do ya'll think I should do? I value your guidance so much!

Treat Adrenals & DHA for Brain Health:

AdrenaMed GL50-vitC, riboflavin, niacin,B6, panothentic acid, magnesium citrate, zinc, chromium, potassium glicanate, lemon bioflavonoid complex, L-Tyrosine, Parotid, Thymus, Chlorrea, Adrenal gland (bovine), Rhodola, Spleen

Omega Avail- EPA, 110 mg, DHA, 500 mg.

OmegaCO3-SE (K-113) with E, B6, niacin, calcium, mag, zinc, molybdenum, EPA, DHA, GLA, Taurine

Treat Lack of Gall Bladder:

Beta-TCP - VitC, Taurine, Pancrelipase, Organic Beef Concentrate, Superoxide Dismutase, Catalase

Dual Tox DPO for detoxification - Folate (5-MTHF), B6, B12, Artichoke, Watercress, Milk Thistle, ALA, NAC, Sodium Sulfate, Green Tea Leaf, Calcium D-Glucarate, MSM, Elagic Acid

Treat Lack of Oxygen to Cells:
CoQ10 with PQQ

Eliminate Fluke:
GI Microb-X - Tribulus Extract, Magnesium Caprylate, Berberine Sulfate, Grapefruit, Barberry and Bearberry Extract, Black Walnut Powder, Wormwood

Others:
NeuroCalm- B6, B12, Magnesium Malate, Inositol, Taurine, Chamomile, Pharma Gaba, L-Theanine, 5htp, Phosphatidlserine (from sunflower lecithin)
Thorne Menthyl Guard Plus - Riboflavin, B6, Folate, B12

D3- 3,000 iu

Intramin Organic Trace Minerals - 71 plant derived, 65 naturally occurring Electolytes

Homeopathic Formulas:

LVR-DRN &
Neuro Trans Spray (KH-42) lists Gaba, Seratonin, Dopamine, Epinephrine, Acetycholine, Norepinephrine

Im still taking the following:

5 beads Effexor

30 mg Vyvanse

.5 clonazepam 3 times a day

bio-identical hormones (estradiol, progesterone, testosterone cream)

Bio Thyroid 32.5 (he may increase)

L-Threanate Mag – 2 capsules three times a day

VitC-Liposomal - 2,000 mg a day

Curamin – 4 a day for spondylolisthesis

Probiotics

I'm weaning off the Nighttime; just about off

Here is the post I have in my intro thread about it.

Thank you so much!!

• Administrator

Hashimoto's does not automatically need to be treated with thyroid medications.

Why does your doctor think your thyroid dosage needs to be doubled? That seems like an odd assumption. Which doctor is this, the naturopath or your MD?

What supplements are you taking for adrenal issues? What adrenal issues do you have? Which doctor diagnosed them?

Some of those naturopathic supplements for adrenal stimulation can cause activating symptoms.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The new MD said I have adrenal issues as shown by a newer form of testing with computer software and electrodes attached to me. (Some call it Executive Physical) He said that my body was very stressed. This same test was performed on me last year by another MD when I was down to 37.5 mg Effexor. She said adrenals were off and told me to do deep breathing. The year before the test showed adrenals were normal while on a much higher dose. 150 mg or 300, I can't remember.

The new MD will see me tomorrow now that he has all the bloodwork and thyroid biopsy results in. He may have jumped the gun by saying the thyroid med needs doubling. I hope so.

The Naturopath detected suspicion of Hashimoto's, adrenal fatigue and others with ASYRA (Resonance Analysis technology) by means of the body's energetic fields. So, both the naturopath and MD have mentioned adrenal issues. I'll know more tomorrow.

I've these adrenal supplements for about a month:

AdrenaMed GL50. -vitC, riboflavin, niacin,B6, panothentic acid, magnesium citrate, zinc, chromium, potassium glicanate, lemon bioflavonoid complex, L-Tyrosine, Parotid, Thymus, Chlorrea, Adrenal gland (bovine), Rhodola, Spleen

OmegaCO3-SE (K-113) -with E, B6, niacin, calcium, mag, zinc, molybdenum, EPA, DHA, GLA, Taurine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sheri, it's late here, but I wanted to give a look in:

This one:

Omega Avail- EPA, 110 mg, DHA, 500 mg.

I was just doing research, this sounds like an algae based supplement, which might lower your cholesterol, but have no effect on your adrenals, your inflammation, or your brain and nervous system.  This supplement has the wrong ratio of EPA to DHA.

Just get some cheap fish oil, and stop falling for these "compounds".  Work up to 6000-8000 IU per day of cheap fish oil (Wal-mart is supposed to be #1 in ConsumerLabs this year!)  The best ratio for what we want - inflammation and brain/nervous system is EPA 1.5 to DHA 1.0.  So 150 mg EPA to 100 mg DHA, for example (Mine is 180 EPA, 120 DHA). 

Dual Tox DPO for detoxification

This looks overstimulating.  DETOX is not recommended in withdrawal.  The issue isn't about "getting the drugs out of your system," but about restructuring what the drugs have done to your brain so that you can function without them.

What looks to environmental medicine like Lyme Disease, Hashi's, etc. - may just be withdrawal!  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6722-auto-immune-diseases-triggered-by-ssri-withdrawal/

Some of these posts are about autoimmune disorders caused by the drugs and the withdrawal - others - the withdrawal just looks like an autoimmune problem, and the antibodies and lab numbers get better over time, with good self care and nutrition.

Bio Thyroid 32.5 (he may increase)

This is not a huge amount.  Go to the thyroid links I sent you, and again - thyroid issues often clear up as you come out the other side.

All of this stuff is destabilising!  I wish you could just take fish oil, magnesium, maybe some Vit C, and just rest for about 3 months, without making any changes.

LATER, the glandulars and stuff might be very nutritional and helpful to you, but since you've been having symptoms, it's not a good time to make a bunch of destabilizing changes.  And you know what I think about multi-ingredient supplements.  They shoot with a double-barrelled shotgun, and even if it's not a good shot, it's sure to hit something (we just have to hope that something is a good something).

You are still working on coming off the last lot of supplements that you got put on, which were destabilising.  Please don't do another round - at least not just yet?  Please note #5 in Alex's excellent list:  Six Mistakes I've Made In Withdrawal

If you are not in Stage 3 or 4 "adrenal fatigue" you can live without these glandulars and stimulating supplements for at least another 6 months or until you settle.  If you read my article on adrenal fatigue in the thread I gave you, you will see that my protocol only partly involved supplements (yes, they were there - but I was not "in withdrawal" at that point, I never went into symptoms, other than a few depressive swings - which is normal to my personality).  See this post:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1591-withdrawal-syndrome-vs-adrenal-fatigue/page-2?p=245913#entry245913

It's your right to make your own decisions, and choose what you put in your body.   I'm just indicating the "safest path."  And I would caution against medical professionals who have no experience with withdrawal.  

I hope you see the sun today.

Jan, I'm on my way to the MD if I can drive to get the results of my thyroid biopsy and hear what he recommends for my fight or flight adrenals.

I won't take anything until I check with you. For today, should I stop all of these supplements, even the one for the fluke?

Sounds like the homeopathic remedies are safe though?

Thank you!

I just got back from my MD. He tested me for MTHFR and I do have it.

Positive for A12987 variant

Normal for C677T variant

I also have Hashimoto's. I have a copy of the bloodwork.

TSH 87

T4,free 1.2

T3,free 2.6

The above are in normal range.

However, Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies are HIGH at 36.

( <9 IU/mL is normal.)

He prescribed Deplin 15 mg which cost $116 out of pocket!

Also prescribed Nature Throid 48.75 mg. (I've been taking 32.5 compounded Thyroid prescribed by my gyno)

I'm afraid of the Deplin and the high cost BUT is this form better assimilated than something I could buy online?

I don't want to take anything without checking with you guys first. Learned my lesson! Still climbing the walls with fear.

The MD also recommended 5htp which I've read is very activating so I won't take it. He said to take the Deplin or Thorne 5-MTHF which will get the dopamine back to normal. It's interesting that I usually get a few hours from the intense fear after taking Vyvanse. I'm guessing that I'm very deficient in dopamine.

I feel as bad as I did before reinstating. My hubby wants me to try the 5htp and Thorne 5-MTHF for two weeks. I replied that I'm afraid I will feel worse. He said, "What's worse than asking God to take you?" I'm not suicidal, just don't want to live like this.

Just noticed something that Jan mentioned about the Dual Tox. It's to support the liver to prepare for Ox Bile bc of lack of gall bladder, not drug detox. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

I've stopped all the supplements the naturopath gave me.

I'm taking liquid Nordic Naturals, EPA 1480 mg/DHA 1060 per teaspoon. How many teaspoons should I take per day? Right now, I don't trust my judgement on anything.

I'm sorry to be so whiny. I'm eternally grateful for all of you.

• Administrator

Deplin or 5-MTHF are folate, a B vitamin that may be activating. I have no idea how they might "get dopamine back to normal."

MTHFR variations are extremely common and usually do not require treatment. If you're worried, get your folate by eating lots of green leafy vegetables.

One can have Hashimoto's throughout one's life without needing thyroid hormone supplementation. Elevated Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies is how Hashimoto's is diagnosed. Your test score is not particularly high. TPO can go up and down.

As you are already being treated with thyroid hormone by your gyno and that isn't causing you any problems, why does your MD want to fiddle with it? Aren't all your doctors happy that your thyroid tests are normal? (Were they ever abnormal?)

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/about fish oil.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Deplin or 5-MTHF are folate, a B vitamin that may be activating. I have no idea how they might "get dopamine back to normal."

MTHFR variations are extremely common and usually do not require treatment. If you're worried, get your folate by eating lots of green leafy vegetables.

One can have Hashimoto's throughout one's life without needing thyroid hormone supplementation. Elevated Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies is how Hashimoto's is diagnosed. Your test score is not particularly high. TPO can go up and down.

As you are already being treated with thyroid hormone by your gyno and that isn't causing you any problems, why does your MD want to fiddle with it? Aren't all your doctors happy that your thyroid tests are normal? (Were they ever abnormal?)

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/about fish oil.

Thank you for your insight.

As a clarification on the thyroid,  I have developed a large nodule on my thyroid.  They biopsied it and found it benign but it is a strong indicator that my thyroid is working too hard and so the MD feels the current dose is insufficient and wants to increase it to support the thyroid, reduce the nodule and help the TPO.

The MD also wanted to have me begin taking a combination of 5 HTP and some version (he didn't insist on Deplin) of the Methylfolate as a combination since I can't naturally get the folic through eating.  He believes my body isn't producing dopamine at any normal levels and wants to use supplements rather than medications to support it.

I am concerned that this might be too stimulating while I am healing from withdrawal.  

I suppose it's because of the large nodule with blood supply that was biopsied. The MD feels that the size needs shrinking, thus the increase from 32.5 compounded to 48.75 Nature Throid according to him.

Stopped Iodoral a month ago that I've been on one year. Just noticed labs dated 8-15 - Below normal Iodine, Urine-23. Normal range 28-544.

**Wonder if I need to taper back into Iodoral? Will it help shrink the large Thyroid nodule? New primary care MD said not to take it, just the Deplin (not going to take anything for MTHFR) and Nature Throid.

My gut tells me to seek someone else. He's Russian and hard to understand and just doesn't seem to be organized. Nor his staff.

Approx 8-13-2016-Stopped all supplements naturopath gave me and felt less terror yesterday. Not quite as good today.

**Supps taking now:

2 Homeopathic Formulas (water/energy according to link from JanCarol)

Shouldn't be activating??

Mag L-Threonate 500 mg 3 x a day

D3 - 1000 iu

Fish Oil - EPA 1480 mg/DHA 1060 per teaspoon.

**Can I take 3 teaspoons a day?**Too activating?**

I'm afraid to move without your approval, after taking a nose dive. Thank you for helping me!!

• 3 weeks later...

I need help please. I can barely think. Bedridden, consumed with terror.

Best wishes Sheri755 

I went down to zero Effexor about 10 years ago.  Failed badly, too.

Don't despair - mods on here will come on and advise you on reinstatement, I am certain!

XOX.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

I've been holding at 5 beads since reinstating in July. Thank you, Peng.

I feel like I don't have much longer to live.

Barely able to write these words.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sheri,

What are your current symptoms?

Do they follow any daily pattern?

Have you been keeping notes since reinstating?

Providing this information can help the mods try and work out what might be the best suggestion.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

so sorry Sheri,

we're the same age and I feel the same way as you...it's hell.

hope you can get relief.

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

so sorry Sheri,

we're the same age and I feel the same way as you...it's hell.

hope you can get relief.

Thank you so much ❤️

Hi Sheri,

What are your current symptoms?

Do they follow any daily pattern?

Have you been keeping notes since reinstating?

Providing this information can help the mods try and work out what might be the best suggestion.

Yes, I keep a daily record.

I forced myself to get in an Epsom Salt bath and will come back with details in just a few minutes. The baths have been bringing some relief.

The physical symptoms are excessive saliva, tinnitus, bowel issues, erratic appetite, restless legs, burning lips, worsened vision, Hashimoto's, stomach pain, abdominal pain, internal trembling, rapid heart rate.

Mental/emotional symptoms are extreme terror/anxiety/paranoia, no motivation, depression. The fear/terror is the worst of all.

I sometimes get a little relief after the Vyvanse kicks in. My thoughts are racing on what I should do.

• Administrator

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time, Sheri. You might want to try adding in a few beads of Effexor, see if that helps.