SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Marko's 3.5 year withdrawal Success!

Ok so I started taking celexa and then Effexor after a major family tragedy in 2004. I want to first just LET PEOPLE KNOW somethjng very important that helps withdrawal BIGTIME from any ssri and that is benedryl or even better Hydroxazine. A pharmacist told me to initially take this in the very beginning of me quitting ssris for the withdrawal. It somehow works on the same Neuro-receptors that ssris do. For me over the last 3.5 years since I totally quit ssris it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with Panic attacks. I feel it's VERY IMPORTANT to get this out there so people suffering from the most helpless form of withdrawal i experienced which is daily anxiety to have knowledge on what can possibly help them through . I think it's important not to be on anything to heal but when certain symptoms become over bearing at least there's temporary relief. Of course Xanax or any benzopene can really help but I don't recommend this type of addictive medication that just numbs the symptoms. Having said ALL THIS I just want to point out prior to taking ssris I NEVER had anxiety issues. It became an issue after quitting which I know is the withdrawal or damage the ssri created . I couldn't even drink coffee after initially quitting because I would slip into a panic attack. SO it's been 3.5 years and I can tell you the pain is subsiding . I do not suffer like I used to with withdrawal. My panic attacks are becoming less and less . I am so grateful for this because I can tell u at times it is so painful words have no description for being in constant fight or flight and fear . The road is not short but it does end and it does get wider and easier . HOLD ON!!! The mind has neuro plasticity and will fix itself . Take my words seriously and you will not only survive but flourish . My heart goes out to all that suffer , there is HOPE !

I forgot to mention I was in ssris for a period of 8years incase people were wondering . I think it was 4 years Effexor and then 4 years Celexa.

MarkO I'm very happy to hear about your healing. Aside from panic attacks, what other symptoms did you have along the way?

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• Administrator

Thank you, MarkO. How often do you have post-withdrawal symptoms now?

It sounds like you had bad symptoms for 3.5 years. What symptoms did you have? Did they go away in any recognizable pattern?

What did Benedryl or hydroxazine do for you? How often did you take them?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

MarkO I'm very happy to hear about your healing. Aside from panic attacks, what other symptoms did you have along the way?

Ok well the first 4 months I had the all too familiar symptoms which were fatigue, brain zaps , confusion . When those subsided basically since then for the last 3 years has been primarily ANXIETY and the occasional ear buzzing (like high pitched noise). But in the last 3 years the anxiety and buzzing has gotten a lot better . Hindsight is 20/20 . Looking back , I remember driving to the grocery store at night to get milk . Having to concentrate more on the road because it was dark led me into a full panic. Half my face went fuzzy , I thought I was having a stroke . I know I'm getting better when I look back and see moments like that . Those are less and less and are certainly less excruciating . Basically that's it

Thank you, MarkO. How often do you have post-withdrawal symptoms now?

It sounds like you had bad symptoms for 3.5 years. What symptoms did you have? Did they go away in any recognizable pattern?

What did Benedryl or hydroxazine do for you? How often did you take them?

I deal with post withdrawal symptoms on a daily basis still ,but it's ONLY anxiety now. And truth be told it is greatly becoming less and less low . By that I mean less and less panic attacks . Also Be it known that I never had anxiety issues prior to the 8 years on ssris. This is an obvious withdrawal or damage caused by the ssri. I've stated this as success because I believe it is. I'm down to one symptom and its becoming increasingly better .

Also, Benedryl or hydroxazine can GREATLY mimic the ssri on our neuro receptors and it is for this reason that the first withdrawal phase and further on , if ever I feel tremendous symptoms , taking Benedryl or hydroxazine would relieve the symptoms greatly , especially the Anxiety but nevertheless the first symptoms aswell, brain zaps etc.

Amazing that worked for you. Congrats! You deserve a happy life after 3 horrible years. Amazing all the other symptoms cleared up so fast but the anxiety hit hard for so long. When was the turning point when you felt the anxiety really letting up?

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Hey Marko

Brill to read your story, Congratulations on making it through.

Just curious as to how you discovered the drugs were no good for you, ie what led you to taper off of them? And what was your taper strategy.

I'm on my way to antidepressant freedom and stories like yours are so beneficial to people in thick of it like me. I have very little double I will too be a success story just like you.

Well done, wishing you continued peace and tonnes of happiness.

Alua

<p>Various benzos 4 months for insomnia prior to Effexor 37.5mg may 2014 for two weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg june 2014 - feb 2015.Pristiq 50 mg Feb 2015. six weeks later attempted coming off with a six week taper. ten days off and it got ugly. Tapering now using compounded pristiq with slow release agent. 37.5 mg 3 weeks, 30 mg 6 weeks, 25mg 4.5 weeks, 20mg for 6 weeks, 17.5 mgs 7 weeks, 20 mg 8 weeks, 19 mg 3 weeks, 18 mg 3 weeks, 17 mg 3 weeks, 16 mg 3 weeks, 15mg 2 weeks, 14mg 2 weeks, 13 mgs 2 weeks, 12 mgs 6 weeks, 11mg 3 weeks, 10.5mg 2 weeks, 10 mg 3.5 weeks. 9mg 4 weeks. Jumped at 8mg currently 16 months free

Hey Marko

Brill to read your story, Congratulations on making it through.

Just curious as to how you discovered the drugs were no good for you, ie what led you to taper off of them? And what was your taper strategy.

I'm on my way to antidepressant freedom and stories like yours are so beneficial to people in thick of it like me. I have very little double I will too be a success story just like you.

Well done, wishing you continued peace and tonnes of happiness.

Alua

I decided to get off of ssris because although they did work well for me for basic overall sense of being (so I thought ), on the other hand they caused some serious side effects. Those side effects were problematic drinking . I always socially drank but when I went on these meds it seemed to carry me to a place where I didn't mind and craved to drink a lot and I did not care of the consequences of how intoxicated I got. I'm not the only one that experienced this as I have read many stories over the years. I quit the meds and the problem drinking stopped . It's not a coincidence . That was the main reason . I would like to note , I don't think I was ever depressed in the first place . I experienced a family trajedy and 2 weeks later my doctor prescribed me Effexor . I know looking back I was just down and not depressed.

How did I taper down? I was anxious to get off the meds and be medication free so I should have tapered slower. Give your mind the time it needs! In the long run I think it will repair quicker. I think I tapered off of celexa in 2 months. Gradually down from 40mg to 0 . I think based on the observation of my experience , a person should take longer than they think . I'm not an expert but I think I'm as much an expert as anyone in this field. I would say give yourself at least 6months . Perhaps even a year if you don't mind. Your mind and ultimately yourself will thankU . The brain won't get such a shock from quitting so rapidly . 2 months was nearly not long enough and that's why I believe my fight or flight system which was numbed by the medication for 8 years had such a hard time stabilizing after I quit hence the PANIC ATTACKS everyday for 3 years .

Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your heroic tale.  It takes an immense amount of resilience to make it through this.  I still experience symptoms daily, while not panic attacks daily, I still feel out of kilter.  The pressure on the brain when stressed, the intrusive thoughts and so much more.  The worst would have to be the insomnia and the palpitations when I lay down to try to sleep.  Did benadryl help you with your sleep?

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

ThankU so much for confirming that it takes incredible resilience. I know it does and coming from someone else going through it definitely makes me feel that I'm never alone and that helps. Intrusive thoughts , wow! I can relate .

Im finding as I drastically improve from my anxiety symptom I'm able to better step out of my thoughts and just accept them as that . And as I do that I will step out of the helpless thought and choose not to become it . This way I'm drastically improving on my anxiety issue.

Now , u asked , does Benadryl help

Me sleep ? No but Hydroxazine DOES! And the plus to that is that it's very safe compared to other drugs in our world. It's basically a suped up Benadryl. But DONT take my word for it . Do the research . What I do know is that long term it will make your brain not produce as much histamine . But short term it's a very good relief for anxiety and will DEFINITELY help u sleep better . I'm very GRATEFUL I came across Hydroxazine for temporary relief of withdrawals from ssris. I can't say ENOUGH about that! And I want everyone suffering to know this!!!! I would appreciate it if this turns out to be a great relief for you should you seek out Hydroxazine , please spread the word . Take care and let me know how your doing in the future :-)

• Administrator

MarkO, how often do you have symptoms now?

Benedryl or hydroxyzine do not act like SSRIs or SNRIs, they are sedating antihistamines and often included in drugstore sleep aids.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Benedryl or hydroxyzine do not act like SSRIs or SNRIs, they are sedating antihistamines and often included in drugstore sleep aids.

I still have one symptom from time to time and it's anxiety . It's becoming more manageable each day that goes forward . I'm not 100% but my recovery has been notable . I would say I'm about 80% totally recovered . With 20% left just being this anxiety .

From my own experience I would have to disagree with you on my experience with Benedryl and Hydroxazine . They may not act like ssris or Ssnris but the brain certainly

Cannot tell the difference or they in fact act on the same neuro receptors . I'm not an expert but they do react in some way that seems relevant. I am living proof of this. In the beggining with my priliminary withdrawals, everyone's typical ones(brain zaps etc.) Benedryl completely resolved the issues in an instant. Trust me it wasn't a Placebo effect . The pharmacist that recommended this to me certainly knew somethjng I didn't and explained it to me . I can't thank him enough . Benedryl does not have any sleep aids in it , at least not the primary basic Benedryl. But I do know in fact that generally , antihistamines do cause or can at least cause drowsiness . Please do not underplay the importance that histamines can play on the recovery of people on ssris. It is one safe option that I think people should be aware of. I'm not an advocate of using medications to overcome medications but in some situations when all hope seems lost its a relatively safe alternative that personally helped me through a tremendous struggle. I would urge people especially with anxiety after quitting SSRIS to consider Hydroxazine for temporary relief.

Hello altostrata. I just want to commend you for creating a website and doing soo much to help people like yourself who have been through this . I read your story on beyond meds and I'm completely amazed. You explained what I've struggled with over the last 3.5 years to a tee. It makes things very understandable for me . I really understand now the hypersensitivity to foods etc. that I lived with for so long. I have tremendous respect for you and your devotion. I was wondering , you were on Paxil for 3 years? Are u better now? How long have you struggled? Any turning points? Please if you have time I would like to learn a little of what you have had to deal with . Thank you

• Administrator

Yes, I was on 10mg Paxil for about 3 years, including a failed cold switch to Lexapro in the middle. I went off Paxil over about 3 weeks. It took me about 11 years to recover.

At about 4 years off, depersonalization and poor sleep started to lift. But I changed to a high-stress job and got a lot worse very fast, completely losing the ability to sleep. In the nick of time, I found a doctor who recognized my problem and prescribed micro-doses of lamotrigine to settle my nervous system. I took this for more than 2 years. Along the way, I developed a heart condition. After this was treated, it took me several more years to recover.

For the lamotrigine part of the story, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/392-one-theory-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

I can now sleep more or less normally, my nervous system is fairly stable, and I do not have waves of symptoms.

• Administrator

How often do you get surges of anxiety now, MarkO?

About once or twice a day at times and then I can go a few days with nothing . That's improvement since the constant anxiety I used to feel like a growing monster never ceasing . The worst from it is how it affects me physiologically . It's like this agitation that doesn't surrender . Changing my diet has really made a difference . It's made things over the last 6months bearable most of the time. I had to get rid of all stimulants , I CANNOT drink coffee , one sip will put me over the edge. Can u relate? Prior to this medication I could always enjoy a few cups with never any issues. It was nice to read this hypersensitivity issue on your website. I have always wondered, Is there natural ways to lower cortisol and or norepinephrine in the body? We're u sensitive to stimulants or hypersensitive ? And if so, how long before that got back to completely normal for you?

MarkO hello ! Cheers you made it through to the other aide alive brother. My story is similar to yours in so many ways. I am 4 years off Effexor(very short taper) and then approx 14 months off Buspar. My anxiety (social)and general is still intense. I take it the Buspar helped a bit with that. I took the Buspar shortly after being off Effexor. Anxiety is the sh%ts....it can ruin so many good things. I am hoping to find a better way to cope with it. I never had it before all of this...I am eating clean and exercising everyother day. Taking fish oil and vitamin D. About 90% recovered. Thinking that I am going through possibly 2-3 years of Buspar wd before I am fully healed. You can msg my inbox if you want to chat more. Not everyday you talk to people in our situations

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

• Moderator Emeritus

Congrats MarkO, thanks for sharing your story! :)

My suggestions are not medical advice. They are my opinions based on my own experience, strength and hope.

You are in charge of your own medical / healing / recovery choices.

My success story |  My introduction thread

ZOLOFT FREE - COMPLETELY DRUG FREE 4/28/2019! - total time on 28+ years

BENZO FREE! 4/7/2018 - total time on 27+ years

REMERON FREE! 12/11/2016 - total time on 15 months

Caffeine & Nicotine Free 2014 / 2015 - smoked for 28 years

Alcohol Free 4/1/2014 - drank for 30 years

• 2 weeks later...

Hello MarkO 

That agitation/anxiety/panic that is constant sounds more like Akathisia than Anxiety to me. 

Best, 

Adrian

December 2015 One month Prozac at 10mg/day and every other day for MILD Anxiety ( What the hell??? No prior illness of any sort.)

Horrible side effects. Finally Cold Turkey.
May 2016 - Lamotrigine 0.5mg. Going up slowly. Sleep back to 8-9 hours normal (complete insomnia after Prozac).
June 2016 - 2 weeks 2.5mg Diazepam for Akathisia. Then lowered to 0.6mg/day.

Also Propranolol, Clonidine, occasional antihistamine, magnesium, B6 - for akathisia.

Experiencing severe protracted withdrawal. Symptoms got worse and changed each month. 

Last symptom remaining - Severe Akathisia since May with (mostly) waves and (some) windows. (When worse: pacing, can't concentrate or even speak, difficulty eating, driving, getting out of the house, horrible pain, restlessness, headache, exhaustion)

MarkO congratulations on your healing!  I am glad you are feeling better.  How often do you take benadryl or hydroxyzine?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• 3 weeks later...

Marko, congratulations on your recovery! The hydrooxazine and benedryl you took while recovering from WDS, is it addictive?

If you have developed sensitivity to supplements and meds, can the it cause a bad reaction?

I know that everyone is different.

Congratulations to you once again and all the best to you in the future. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 4 months later...

I have to believe that Mark is enjoying his life and his anxiety has subsided !!! cheers man , rock on 

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

• 3 months later...

I was doing some research on Hydroxyzine because I still experience major sleep issues and came across this post. I had some old 10mg hydroxyzine and took one and was wide awake all night. I heard there are two kinds of hydroxyzine. They have HCL and pamoate. I only have the HCL one. Is this less effective? I hope you are enjoying life and the remainder of your anxiety has subsided.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi there,

The staff at SA are wondering how you are.  We'd love to hear how you are doing now.   Would you mind dropping by and giving an update?

Thanks.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I want people suffering from quitting antidepressants that I found a world of healing through the WIM HOF breathing method and then cold showers right after  . The cold showers reduces cortisol in the body which in turn lowers adrenaline in the body that causes panic attacks . Anyone that has suffered like I have will do anything for their life back so if you think an ice cold shower is too painful , you simply aren’t suffering enough to want the change . I have taken ice cold showers every morning for over a year now and I can tell you this “with” deep breathing from the WIM HoF Method will transform the damage created by protracted withdrawl symptoms brought on by SSRIS. I would say to anyone suffering . Do it !!! And tell me how you feel . It’s free and has been the catalyst for my healing process from over 4 years of everyday panic attacks after quickly (too quickly) quitting ssris after being on them  for 8 years . If one person listens to this it’s all worth it to me and I would love to hear what it did for THEM .

PLEASE administrators HEADLINE this write up . It made a world of difference for me and I want others to know what could really help them immediately in the short term and long term to end or at least help end their suffering because as I know it’s god awful .

GODSPEED 

Edited by MarkO

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2019 at 10:56 PM, MarkO said:

I want people suffering from quitting antidepressants that I found a world of healing through the WIM HOF breathing method and then cold showers right after  . The cold showers reduces cortisol in the body which in turn lowers adrenaline in the body that causes panic attacks . Anyone that has suffered like I have will do anything for their life back so if you think an ice cold shower is too painful , you simply aren’t suffering enough to want the change . I have taken ice cold showers every morning for over a year now and I can tell you this “with” deep breathing from the WIM HoF Method will transform the damage created by protracted withdrawl symptoms brought on by SSRIS. I would say to anyone suffering . Do it !!! And tell me how you feel . It’s free and has been the catalyst for my healing process from over 4 years of everyday panic attacks after quickly (too quickly) quitting ssris after being on them  for 8 years . If one person listens to this it’s all worth it to me and I would love to hear what it did for THEM .

PLEASE administrators HEADLINE this write up . It made a world of difference for me and I want others to know what could really help them immediately in the short term and long term to end or at least help end their suffering because as I know it’s god awful .

GODSPEED 

Has it helped with food sensitivities 

has it helped with food sensitivities? Yes somewhat .. now over 6 years of quitting I can eat chohcolate for example .. before , just the sugar rush never mind the caffeine would send me into a panic so yes it has helped somewhat 

7 hours ago, MarkO said:

has it helped with food sensitivities? Yes somewhat .. now over 6 years of quitting I can eat chohcolate for example .. before , just the sugar rush never mind the caffeine would send me into a panic so yes it has helped somewhat 

What symptoms do you have left after six years.. 

Same anxiety symptoms But considerably less severe .. how about you ? What’s your major issue ? Have u tried ice cold showers in the morning ?