SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Marko's 3.5 year withdrawal Success!

On 2/22/2019 at 10:15 PM, MarkO said:

Same anxiety symptoms But considerably less severe .. how about you ? What’s your major issue ? Have u tried ice cold showers in the morning ? 

No I havint tried them yet cold showers I mean so I guess you have permanent damge from meds with the anxiety 

Permanent damage ? No , I’m not giving up that easy ... it’s been 6 years and if someone wanted to believe it was permanent they could certainly believe that . Look , I am a survivor and I can honestly say it’s gotten better so I believe I am not exactly who I was before but I have come a loooooooong way . Neuroplasticity is a real thing in the brain . We can heal ourselves . Don’t ever doubt the power you have to heal YOURSELF .Remember first and foremost at this moment ,,,,,, you are a SURVIVOR! Not a victim 👍and keep going !! 

Great to hear of your improvements MarkO; I've got to try cold showers..I've heard others rave about it too. I take pretty warm showers and they help my agitation in the moment, but perhaps colder would be better long term. 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

It’s the old no pain no gain philosophy... u put yourself through an ice cold unpleasant shower and it’s going to lower your cortisol /adrenaline and you should notice a change immediately when you get out and dry up . The rest of your day should feel calmer . Let me know how it works . If your not gasping for air , it’s not cold enough 😉

Oh boy, that's commitment. But yes, I'll try this -- anything for relief. This does make sense since I find putting something cold on the back of my neck calms me down for a moment. 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

And it’s best if u incorporate wim hof breathing before u get in the shower . I will attach a YouTube link to show you how . It is certainly worth it for me . It’s been my saving grace . 10 minutes time to do breathing technique then I hit the ice cold shower and that’s it . Try it for one week and tell me how you feel . I bet if you do I will be VERY surprised if you don’t get major results .

I sent u a tutorial on how to do the wim hof breathing .. after watching it , apply what he said to do . I do about 2 rounds of 30 breaths . For each one on the 30th I hold breath like he said on out breath. U will be able to hold Breath for 2 minutes or soo . Then u release and repeat once more . For your first time maybe just go 20 times it’s up to you . You will feel light headed and tingly . That’s normal . Body is full of oxygen . Nway he explains it .. let me know how it works out for you ! And keep going ! Do it!! 💪 u will be very greatful in the end I do believe 

How long did your food sensitivities last?

Lexapro 1/17 - 3/17 10 mg.  Switched to Elavil 3/27/17 10 mg

Upped to 20 mg June 5, 2017 3 days, back down to 10mg June 8

Up again to 20 mg June 12, 2017 4 days, back down to 10 June 16

9/17 dropped to 9.5 mg

11/17 dropped to 9.3mg

2/18/17 dropped to 8.8 mg

February 14/2018 Adverse reaction to zofran pill at clinic

10/7/19 8.48 mg

12/22/19 7.3 mg, 2/7/20 6.5 mg, 5/23/20 5.84 mg,  5/7/23 .70 mg

On 2/26/2019 at 1:33 AM, MarkO said:

Permanent damage ? No , I’m not giving up that easy ... it’s been 6 years and if someone wanted to believe it was permanent they could certainly believe that . Look , I am a survivor and I can honestly say it’s gotten better so I believe I am not exactly who I was before but I have come a loooooooong way . Neuroplasticity is a real thing in the brain . We can heal ourselves . Don’t ever doubt the power you have to heal YOURSELF .Remember first and foremost at this moment ,,,,,, you are a SURVIVOR! Not a victim 👍and keep going !! 

Ye glad you see like that great mindset you have.. just I’m 19 months out cold turkey just not getting better bro not sure every can heal from it just feels like too much damge is done as you said your in your message you come long way your not person before this mess so technically your never going be that person sorry I don’t mean sound negative just losing hope from all this **** 

Too much damage is a relative term . It does get better , it’s called neuroplasticity and believing in yourself . How long we’re you on them ? And while your sitting there complaining about how hard your life is , did u actually try what I recommended ? 

• 5 months later...

Hello Marko,

Great to hear that you are doing well. For me it's been a struggle lately, but I have hope that I'll get better in time.

Have you tried winter swimming? It really makes me feel good. Usually I first go to sauna and then for a swim in the ice cold water. It's a popular pastime here in Finland during the long dark winter.

Many people do it in the same fashion as you do your cold showers. Before going to work they go for a dip in the lake. 

Sauna is another thing that helps you relax. Good for the heart too. If you have some pre-existing heart condition you have to take it easier with the heat. 

BTW, do you have some ties to Finland perhaps? Marko is a really common name here.

Have a good day,

Matti

2014 June. Citalopram 30mg, Seroquel 25mg. 2016 sept. quit seroquel 25mg fast taper, citalopram 20mg

2017 July citalopram drop to 10mg

2018 March - 2019 July 15th gradual taper to 1.52mg 

2019 July 22nd - 24th 5mg. July 25th 4mg.

2019 November updose Citalopram to 5mg.

2020 May updose Citalopram to 10mg.

Magnesium 200mg nightly.

Fish oil: teaspoon every night.

Your positivity is inspiring!  Also, I just tried the Wim Hof breathing and am amazed. I can not thank you enough for taking the time to share.

1990s-Zoloft, Paxil, Ambien, Welbutrin, Adderal Don't remember time frame, all discontinued

1999-Effexor  & Klonopin

2005- Effexor & Klonopin uninformed fast taper. Failed, reinstated

2010-Effexor & Klonopin very slow taper;  uninformed

2017 Effexor Nov 10mg OFF   - Sxs ok for 1- 2 months Continue Klonopin taper

2018 April   found Benzo Buddies/Benzo FB groups 

2018 June Klonopin 1.5 mg Begin Daily Liquid Microtaper (symptom based) 

2019 May Klonopin <0.6mg

2005-Present  Vit D

1989-Present Levothyroxine

15 hours ago, juelli said:

Your positivity is inspiring!  Also, I just tried the Wim Hof breathing and am amazed. I can not thank you enough for taking the time to share.

Practicing the Wim Hof method has changed my life as well. I cant say enough good things about it. 

Citalopram: 2011

Sertraline February: 2013-November 2013

Escitalopram January: 2014-August 2014

Escitalopram November: 2014-January 2016

Venlafaxine: April 2016-January 2018 (8 month taper included)

On 8/10/2019 at 7:45 AM, Cnick91 said:

Practicing the Wim Hof method has changed my life as well. I cant say enough good things about it. 

How has it helped you with withdrawals?? Wim hof method

On 8/9/2019 at 3:54 PM, juelli said:

How has wim hof method helped you?? With withdrawals 

5 hours ago, Liamb123456 said:

How has it helped you with withdrawals?? Wim hof method

Hello, 

The Wim Hof breathing and ice baths have helped calm my nervous system to an extent. It really helps with clearing brain fog, head pressure, anxiety, ruminating thoughts (quiets the mind), and much more. I still have cognitive issues I did not have before taking meds, but I do believe this method aids in the healing process. Every month I seem to be making small improvements. Unfortunately it’s a slow process for most people’s brain to reverse what the drugs did. Regardless, the Wim Hof method works for me so I’m going to continue on with it.  

Good luck in your recovery 

Citalopram: 2011

Sertraline February: 2013-November 2013

Escitalopram January: 2014-August 2014

Escitalopram November: 2014-January 2016

Venlafaxine: April 2016-January 2018 (8 month taper included)

13 hours ago, Cnick91 said:

Hello, 

The Wim Hof breathing and ice baths have helped calm my nervous system to an extent. It really helps with clearing brain fog, head pressure, anxiety, ruminating thoughts (quiets the mind), and much more. I still have cognitive issues I did not have before taking meds, but I do believe this method aids in the healing process. Every month I seem to be making small improvements. Unfortunately it’s a slow process for most people’s brain to reverse what the drugs did. Regardless, the Wim Hof method works for me so I’m going to continue on with it.  

Good luck in your recovery 

Glad it’s helping you how long have you bring doing it for?? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 7:49 PM, Liamb123456 said:

How has wim hof method helped you?? With withdrawals 

Hello Liamb,

I had never heard of Wim Hof breathing before reading about it in Marko's post. I happened to have been in a very severe wave, dealing with some scary depression and intrusive thoughts. I followed the video and felt instant relief from my symptoms. I tried it a few more times but found I got very dizzy and nauseous. So, after doing more reading and you tubing regarding this method, I found that cutting the number of breaths to 15-20 eliminated the extreme dizziness and sick feeling but I still get relief from the severe depression. I was hesitant to try the cold showers because I feared it would have a negative effect...like a jolt of adrenaline, but the testimonies were pretty positive, so II tried one today.  I eased into it by finishing off my regular shower with 2-3 minutes of very cold water and I felt wonderfully energetic and clear headed, much as Cnick 91 described above. 

It is so hard to believe we will recover, but I am very stubborn, I refuse to give up. And I keep reminding myself that those who have recovered are out living their lives, they aren't often on these forums telling us how great they are doing....and I get it, but that being said, I am so grateful when I read success stories like Marko's.

I hope this is helpful to you.

1990s-Zoloft, Paxil, Ambien, Welbutrin, Adderal Don't remember time frame, all discontinued

1999-Effexor  & Klonopin

2005- Effexor & Klonopin uninformed fast taper. Failed, reinstated

2010-Effexor & Klonopin very slow taper;  uninformed

2017 Effexor Nov 10mg OFF   - Sxs ok for 1- 2 months Continue Klonopin taper

2018 April   found Benzo Buddies/Benzo FB groups 

2018 June Klonopin 1.5 mg Begin Daily Liquid Microtaper (symptom based) 

2019 May Klonopin <0.6mg

2005-Present  Vit D

1989-Present Levothyroxine