SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hi everyone.

Some of my past history :

I was first prescribed Antidepressants in 1990. I remember it was called Prothiaden. From then up unti 2013 I was prescribed different ones from Cipramil , Prozac , Seroxat ( twice), Anafranil , Lexapro , Effexor.
I was diagnosed with clinical depression. I had intermittent usage and there was long periods of time that I was not on any meds.

In 2013 after bereavement and trauma , I found myself to be very anxious and I could not sleep.
I was prescribed Lexapro and from there , this horror story unfolds. The Lexapro seemed to make matters worse. I felt so much worse when it was increased. Then they added in Cymbalta . I was quickly tapered off Lexapro. The Cymbalta also made me feel even worse. I couldn't sleep , eat , I honestly couldn't function properly. My mind was in a mess. I tried counselling. I exercised. Nothing helped.

A doctor then abruptly requested me to stop Cymbalta at this point. I was given Xanax for a week. Then It was discontinued and I was given Valium for a week. I became really ill at this point.
I was then prescribed Lithium Abilify Seroquel and placed back on Cymbalta. ( in hospital )
I developed Akathisia from Abilify. It was discontinued. At this point , doctors were becoming more aware that these meds were making me so ill. They began to say I was ' super sensitive to meds' .
I was now under the care of my previous doctor who tried to help me get off these meds.

Since November 2013 , I bave come off Lithium ( 5 months use ) Abilify ( 3 weeks use ) Cymbalta ( in total 8 months use ) Lamictal ( 8 months use ) Ambien (1 year use ).
To get off the Xanax , I was cross tapered to Valium.

I was unable to get off any of these medications easily. I may seem very matter of fact in this post but honestly I am not. It's been sheer hell. The physical pain started in January 2014 . Nerve and muscle pain. Paresthesia . Crawling burning searing pain. Muscle twitching. ( I used to get ready bad electric type shocks in my spine and really bad muscle spasms. This has lessened )
My mental symptoms of anxiety , deep sadness , dp , irritation , anger and agitation have all decreased.
My sleeping is better. Oh for this I am so very thankful.

It's this physical pain. It never lets up. This is the scary part. Will it ever let up ? .....

I would really really appreciate your help and advice in this forum . It has taken me a long while to get as far as here.

I am currently tapering off Seroquel. From 25mgs. I am holding at 6.25 mgs. This is another awful painful withdrawal. Can anyone help me with it ? Any other suggestions or thoughts about the pain I am in ?
I have had countless blood tests and Mri Ultrasound and Xrays. All came back fine. I have some degenerative changes in lumbar spine but nothing to warrant this degree of pain.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Antidepressants (1990 - 2013 ) intermittent prescribed use.

Lexapro Cymbalta Lithium Abilify Lamictal ( 2013 - 2014 )

Xanax crossed over to Valium ( 2013 - 2015 )

Stilnoct ( Ambien) (2014 )

I have come off all of the above medications .

Since January 2014 , I have been experiencing massive physical pain daily and consistently. Nerve pain, Paresthesia Muscle twitching ,Electric type shocks. Debilitating pain. Mental symptoms slightly improved.

Currently tapering Seroquel 25 mgs since February 1 2016.

August 23 2016 : JUMPED at 3.125 mgs (crumbs) - I AM MEDICATION FREE.

Physical pain - muscle knots and nerve continues . Stiffness slightly decreased. Mental symptoms , sleep improving.

Supplements : Magnesium 450g , Omega 3 fish oil , Evening primrose oil and probiotic.

I try to Exercise daily but due to pain levels and 'exercise intolerance' it is extremely difficult.

• Moderator Emeritus

AR, -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Thank you for posting a detailed account of your history with psych drugs. Your experience over the last three years -- on and off, on again and off again -- must have been frustrating and disconcerting. 

Unfortunately pain is not an uncommon symptom during and after discontinuation of neuro-psycho-active drugs. The entire central nervous system (CNS) is affected by the presence of these drugs and by changes in dosage.

I've added a tag "Seroquel" to your intro thread.  If you click on it you'll find the introduction topics of others who are tapering off it. There are 3 other Irish members actively posting: Lakelander82 and dowdaller and blazesboylan. Two of them are tapering a neuroleptic drug or so-called "anti-psychotic" but not Seroquel (quetiapine).

Tell us about how you've reduced your Seroquel dose from 25 mg to your current level of 6.25 mg -- when you started, what were the in-between doses, how long you were at each dose.  Any observations you have about your symptoms -- when they occur, intensify and weaken -- will be helpful in identifying potential next steps.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

Given how completely you've handled your introduction post, it's likely that you've read the following topics. I'll post them anyway for quick reference:

What is withdrawal syndrome

Introduction to antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

Tips to help sleep

I'm awfully sorry that you're in the position that you need this information, but I am glad that you found SA and have posted. Please read the topics I've linked and come back to this thread and post any questions you have.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Scallywag

Thank you so very much for your reply. It is a long road that I have been on in the last 3/4 years.

I could go on and blame doctors here but honestly , this has taken up so much of my time and life already.

I know I was in a really vulnerable position when I was placed on those meds in 2013 and 2014 .

The most difficult aspect of my life now is dealing with the unrelenting physical pain everyday. This for me is so very hard to accept.

I believe the doctors here in Ireland , really have no clue when it comes to withdrawal , and this is across the board on all meds. Both psychiatrists that I was with did very quick tapers on these meds in late 2013/2014. I decided by 2015 that I had to slow it down and they needed to listen to me.

Was I too late ? .... Was damage already done by this time? .....

My CNS is pretty badly comprimised. I think so.

July 2013 :

Lithium ( up to 1000mgs ) for 5 months

Abilify 5mgs or 3 weeks . Developed Akathisia. Discontinued.

Seroquel ( up to 75 mgs ) for 3 weeks. Discontinued due to dizziness and numb feeling.

Cymbalta ( 4 months then cold turkey at high dose and placed on Xanax × 1 week . Xanax discontinued and placed on Valium x 1 week.

Cymbalta reintroduced for 4/5 months. This is one of the hardest drugs I have ever come off. I counted beads to do so as it is a capsule.

Lamictal prescribed up to 175 mgs. ( December 2013 ) - This is the start of my story with physical pain. Whilst on this drug , I developed massive pain and other symptoms which landed me in the ER x 3 times. Doctors there tell me it wass Costocondritis and then it was Fibromyalgia. I began round and rounds of blood test and scans at this point.

I became so anxious and was placed on Xanax up to 3 mgs daily. I got down as far as 1.5 mgs. This was all dropped too quickly by my doctor who said it was 'fine'.

I was then placed on Valium up to 9 mgs. And tapered down myself to 1 mg . Valium discontinued in late May 2015. I am in agony at this point.

My doctor did say that a lot of my symptoms were due to Benzos. Really ?

I was prescribed Seroquel 25mgs in May 2015.

I will continue my story shortly as to how I am today and how I got down to 6.25 mgs .

Since January 2014 , I have been experiencing massive physical pain daily and consistently. Nerve pain, Paresthesia Muscle twitching ,Electric type shocks. Debilitating pain. Mental symptoms slightly improved.

Physical pain - muscle knots and nerve continues . Stiffness slightly decreased. Mental symptoms , sleep improving.

Supplements : Magnesium 450g , Omega 3 fish oil , Evening primrose oil and probiotic.

I try to Exercise daily but due to pain levels and 'exercise intolerance' it is extremely difficult.

Hi again everyone

I will try and give you some details about Seroquel.

I was prescribed Seroquel in 5 May 2015. For sleep and anxiety. And also to get off Valium as I had previously posted.

From then up until today 17 July 2016 I have been taking it at night. It completely knocked me out within 1 hour and the next morning , I was groggy and out of it for hours. That did level off after a few months.

The physical pain did not get any worse but it didn't seem to get better either.

Symptoms that have eased a lot : Depersonalisation , Irritability , angry outbursts , agitation. Deep sadness, Concentration is better, Sensitivity to loud noises - tv , radio is better, Ability to listen and participate in conversations , my sleeping is good now , Im not Crying all the time , Worrying /fretting. B

Symptoms that have eased a little : Constipation /bloating, Tiredness , Exercise intolerance , Ability to get out to go to local shops as pain permits,

Symptoms that have not eased at all. No windows : Physical pain since January 2014. Deep aching nerve and muscle pain. In my mid lower back mostly in my left side. Left buttock and left leg.

Paresthesia entails painful pinprick sensation , tingling hands feet often scalp and face. Burning sensation.

Electric type shocks when I cut dose and begin to taper again.

Massive spinal stiffness. Lower lumbar spine.

Incease in pain in December 2015 - sciatic type nerve pain in leg and buttock. Really bad. I felt I could not even drive. Even sitting was too hard. So I lay on my couch / bed. More scans and bloods - nothing really conclusive. Maybe sciatica or piriformis muscle injury.

February 1 2016 : reduced Seroquel to 18.75 mgs. ( first cut - there was not a huge difference or increase in my symptoms )

May 29 2016 : reduced Seroquel to 12.5 mgs ( anxiety levels started to creep up but probably because I was going for so many tests and scans. Crying spells really increased. Nausea and loss of appetite. Increase in pain. Now at 7/10. Aching everywhere. My sleeping remains good . It was around this time tbat I started to take Magnesium Vitamin C and D and Probiotic. Omega 3 fish oil.

June 12 2016 : reduced Seroquel to 6.25 mgs. I believe that I dropped too quickly here.

I got really upset easily aftdr this cut. Felt very down. Headaches. Nausea. Spike in Anxiety. Menstruation irregularities. Electric type shocks in left leg and knee. Exercise intolerance increased.

At this point I got many results back from my Gp . All results were fine. Less Health Anxiety at this point.

Today : July 17 2016

My pain persists at 6/10 . If I have any PT it increases. Not able to tolerate much exercises yet. I have to pace myself with housework and I still find it difficult to drive.

Crying spells have reduced

Nausea is gone

Appetite is ok.

Bloating persists.

Sleeping well but I still wake up tired.

Anxiety persists but it's not as bad as 2 weeks ago.

Moodwise : ok.

I get really tired.

So thats it for now. I could write more but I'm wrecked now.

I dont think it would be wise to cut agai .

Has anyone any suggestions or more advice ?

I think I cut too quickly in the last couple of month or so ?

I often wonder is the pain here to stay because of these meds and the too fast tapering and moving from one drug to another ?

I hope ye can follow my post.

Again many many thanks for having this forum for us to follow. It is really helpful and it is packed with great people who give experiencd thoughtful and kind advice.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, AR2003. Welcome to the forum from me, too. I really like your colorful avatar. Very positive picture that brightens up the page.  :)

You have indeed been on a very long and painful journey off psychiatric meds. But you're doing so well to be down to just 6.25 mg of Seroquel. I also have a long history of these drugs, and Seroquel was the last drug I came off of. 

Thank you for the details on your current situation with Seroquel. Yes, I think it's wise to hold for awhile and stabilize as much as possible. 

The use of benzos no doubt complicated your recovery, and even at 14 months off your last benzo, Valium, you may still be experiencing significant issues from this, as well as your other medication tapers. 

I found this thread to be very helpful in getting me to understand what coming off and on multiple drugs over the years did to my nervous system:

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

As you can see, these drugs can make the CNS really sensitive, so now is the time for tons of gentle self care. I see you've got magnesium already listed in your signature, but have you tried epsom salt baths? 

Epsom Salts - Another Way to Relax with Magnesium

Many people report that epsom salt baths are good at helping with pain, so perhaps you can get a portion of your magnesium this way. 

Even though you're well off benzos, if you'd like to research the symptoms of benzo withdrawal, we do have a lot of resources in the members-only benzo forum:

Members only benzo forum

The Ashton Manual will give you more information on what to expect with benzo withdrawal:

The 2002 Ashton Manual is at http://www.benzo.org...anual/index.htm

The April, 7 2011 Ashton Manual Supplement is at http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashsupp11.htm

Some people report significant waves from benzos for 2 or 3 years, and your comment that you were "in agony at this point" after your Valium discontinuation in 2015 may point to this being partly a benzo issue and partly due to the other meds making your CNS extra sensitive, resulting in painful symptoms. Due to both of these, you may want to come off the remaining 6.25 mg of Seroquel very, very slowly. I actually dropped Seroquel at 6.25 mg and suffered from severe GI issues afterwards, so I wish I had listened to the advice I was being given and gone down at least to 3.125 mg, if not even lower, before discontinuing completely. We do become more and more sensitive to these drugs, even to the smallest of doses. 

And if benzo withdrawal is still causing problems, even more reason to proceed with caution. 

Regardless, the mind and body are remarkable at healing. Even with 30 years of benzos, antidepressants, antipsychotics, and anti-convulsants behind me, I'm healing. So it will get better for you, too. 

Sending healing vibes your way. 

Hi Shep

Many many thanks for your lengthy reply . It is so appreciated . Both you and Scallywag are really giving me some hope here today.

I have done a little bit of reading on this site before I joined and your journey was one that caught my eye. Yet from reading some of your posts , you are doing really well and truly healing . It is wonderful to see.

Yes , I have been using Epsom salts in my baths practically from the day the pain began . I feel that it does help a lot but unfortunately the effects are short lived. I take 450 g of Magnesium powder daily . Hoping this helps.

I was on Benzobuddies - another site - and I got some good information about benzo withdrawal when I was on it. I still go on it. You are right , I am most likely suffering the Valium withdrawals even at this point. 14 months later. And from other meds too. It was the most painful time of my life. Xanax and Valium were excruciating to be on and come off. Cymbalta is another one. They all were really :'(

I have read the Ashton Manual many times.

I must look at the Benzo only forum here.

I will look at the post on Limbic Kindling. That is very important and interesting. Thank you for this too.

I have intended to go slow and steady with this taper now. I was definitely considering dropping to 3.125 mgs the next time. When that will be , I do not know yet. I need to go slow . I would dearly love to be off this drug , Shep. God knows I have struggled so long now.

I so hope in time this pain decreases.

As you have said , the mind and brain are remarkable at healing. I pray for this.

My best wishes to you.

Hi Shep

Many many thanks for your lengthy reply . It is so appreciated . Both you and Scallywag are really giving me some hope here today.

I have done a little bit of reading on this site before I joined and your journey was one that caught my eye. Yet from reading some of your posts , you are doing really well and truly healing . It is wonderful to see.

Yes , I have been using Epsom salts in my baths practically from the day the pain began . I feel that it does help a lot but unfortunately the effects are short lived. I take 450 g of Magnesium powder daily . Hoping this helps.

I was on Benzobuddies - another site - and I got some good information about benzo withdrawal when I was on it. I still go on it. You are right , I am most likely suffering the Valium withdrawals even at this point. 14 months later. And from other meds too. It was the most painful time of my life. Xanax and Valium were excruciating to be on and come off. Cymbalta is another one. They all were really :'(

I have read the Ashton Manual many times.

I must look at the Benzo only forum here.

I will look at the post on Limbic Kindling. That is very important and interesting. Thank you for this too.

I have intended to go slow and steady with this taper now. I was definitely considering dropping to 3.125 mgs the next time. When that will be , I do not know yet. I need to go slow . I would dearly love to be off this drug , Shep. God knows I have struggled so long now.

I so hope in time this pain decreases.

As you have said , the mind and brain are remarkable at healing. I pray for this.

My best wishes to you.

Hi Ar2003 , I know what you are going through its awful I am 10 months off everything, I was doing fine up until about 2 months ago, Now I have had symptoms come back on me , and I think it just the effects of going off a cocktail of meds, in a relatively short period of time, I am taking more or less the same supplements as you, all you can do is dig in, and enjoy the brief fleeting windows, you get. Good luck.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

Hi Dowdaller

Thanks a million for your kind reply. I appreciate that.

Yes it's a great struggle. Its good to see someone from Ireland here . Not that I wish we were here but thankfully others on this forum know what we go through. That's a huge help isn't it.

I am sorry to hear about symptoms returning for you. Are they as debilitating as before? I hope it is not too long again before you get a break from them. Yes going off a big cocktail of drugs is an assault to the brain/mind.

Hopefully we will have better times ahead.

Best wishes.

Update :

I am having a really tough day. Due to my physical pain which has been ongoing since January 2014 , I have been having increasing pain especially since November / December 2015. My pain levels before then were 5/10. They had been up to 8/10 beforehand.

Since Nov/Dec 2015 - I have been having increasing pain in my left leg and left buttock which now has extended past the knee.

Sharp shooting lightening pain in back of left knee. It has completely stopped my driving and I cannot sit for more than 15 minutes at a time. Needless to say its just desperate on top of the existing pain I had previously.

I have been going back and forward to my GP. In and out for months. I had a lumbar mri , pelvic ultrasound and hip and pelvic xrays done. Lots of bloods again. All are ok. I have 'some degenerative changes in my lower spine but nothing a woman of my age should be too concerned with ' . I am 46 . My GP said 'take naproxen , take tramadol '. I would not take them .Not on top of an already overloaded CNS . I knew what could happen. She told me to exercise . Keep walking she said. I have always exercised but the many many meds , changes , tapering , cross tapering , cold turkey have really decrease my ability to do what I used to be able to do. Through all this pain , I still tried so hard to keep exercising stretching . I have been to 4 PT's. A chiropractor. Had dry needling. I have been doing a core strengthening and glute strengthening programme for 2 months. No let up in this nerve pain in my lower back buttock and leg. I have had allergic reactions to Ponstan ( 1990) Amitriptyline and Lyrica ( 2014)

So I have had to push to be seen by a Pain specialist. To get a second opinion. My GP reluctantly gave me this referral. I have so tried to keep my dignity through this whole situation. I am quite a calm person . Quiet naturally.

I seen him yesterday. I travelled on the bus with my daughter. It was a private appointment so I got to see him quicker .

Outcome : I have a Piriformis muscle injury secondary to a Facet joint pain issue. This is causing the radicular pain that is travelling down my leg.

I will need a Piriformis injection first to see if pain is actually coming from there. Pain Consultant believes that it is probably coming from the Facet joint in my lumbar spine. So that would entail a Nerve Branch Block.

To let you know , I am an RGN and I know what he is talking about to some extent. But , its hard to put it in to words.

Why did I not see this coming for me ? ...

Why did I let them prescribe all those drugs ... why did I take them and why did I let them chop and change them ? ....

I am so stupid. I should have known better. I am so sad about this. All my general training for what ?

I had a really tough childhood. I am a sensitive woman I know but I'd have done anything for anyone. It was always the way I was.

And now.. look at me. Years of trauma leads to years of prescribed meds. I dont drink. I dont smoke.

The physical pain can be horrendous. My GP found it hard to listen. She knows very little about chronic pain. Sbe admits this. My psychiatrist says the same and she is not really understanding of the nature of it.

I am glad I got to see a Pain consultant however short the appointment was. It was short.

Deep down I know that this pain is caused by the medications OVERALL. The rigidity . Muscle and nerve pain. Paresthesia. Muscle twitching.

I am venting here. I hope I do not upset anyone on the forum. I know its hard enough on ye all for what you go through on a daily basis.

I am worried about the nature of the piriformis muscle injection. Side effects and the like. Will it work for starters ?

But will it comprise me more ? I think I will be waiting a while to get this injection as the hospital waiting list is long and I am going public.

I could not afford the injection privately.

I have cried a river today. Of course pain ramps up more.

Any resposes would be so appreciated. Many thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

AR, we -- medical professionals like you included -- are all "spellbound" by the medications. We don't ever consider that "our drugs may be our problem" to paraphrase Peter Breggin. (Dr. Breggin came up with the term "spellbinding" for psych drugs, and wrote the book Your Drug May be Your Problem.)

I've posted this several times this morning, I may need to set up a macro to enter it all at once:

You trusted your doctor and the medical system; you should be able to trust them. Your doctor probably trusted manufacturers' reps and medical journals; s/he should be able to trust at least the journals. Unfortunately the profit focus of pharmaceutical manufacturers and the resulting actions and inaction have corrupted the system.  :angry::mad:

Have you investigated acupuncture to reduce the pain? Some health plans will cover it. People with a sensitized CNS do need to be careful about getting stimulating treatments. It can be a challenge to find a practitioner who will follow your lead and accept your requests. Complementary medicine professionals can be as "high and mighty" about their knowledge and skill as western, traditional medics.

What drug will be used for the intramuscular injection?  With the name, you should be able to find information via Dr. Google. ;)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Dowdaller

Thanks a million for your kind reply. I appreciate that.

Yes it's a great struggle. Its good to see someone from Ireland here . Not that I wish we were here but thankfully others on this forum know what we go through. That's a huge help isn't it.

I am sorry to hear about symptoms returning for you. Are they as debilitating as before? I hope it is not too long again before you get a break from them. Yes going off a big cocktail of drugs is an assault to the brain/mind.

Hopefully we will have better times ahead.

Best wishes.

No I am still working and functioning to a decent level, I am like the swan that looks good but its feet are kicking like mad to stay afloat, I am doing better than 12 months ago so cant complain too much, Yea there a few people from ireland on here, glad you found the site hang in there,  :) All things pass

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

Hi Scallywag

Many thanks for replying .

I have not read Peter Breggin book yet but it's on my list. I have read a wee bit about him in the last year .

I tried Dry needling about 3 months ago. In the lumbar and glute area. Think I had 4 treatments. I do not know but the following day following the first and second time , I had a massive muscle spasm in my back on the opposite side of the body. The person who did it was quite abrupt and I suppose I honestly think he was more interested in the money. €60 for 20 minutes. :-( :'(

The pain was so bad. I have not got any problems with needles or anything but I am so apprehensive in trying Acupuncture now after that.

I do not know what med will be used for the piriformis muscle injection. Oh dear . I forgot to ask him.

More than likely a lidocaine and steroid.

We spoke about the meds I had been on in the past few years . I said that I feel it is the medications that brought on this pain in the first instance. He did not have a reply to this at all. He just said that ' you have been on a merry go round of meds and I am rereally reluctant in prescribing any more and I would advise you not to take anymore' .

I really need advice on Seroquel withdrawal .

I am at my wits end being on it now. I bave been trying to get a good grasp of the withdrawal symptoms after I take the 6.25 mgs dose around 9pm. I usually have a Epsom salts bath beforehand and I do not know whi h is pushing up the symptoms more.?

Symptoms ( within 1 hour ) : big increase in crawling and tingling in both lower limbs. Pretty awful . I think even more pain but this is hard to guage as I am in pain most of my day.

NB : the only time I have less pain is first thing in the morning for about 20mins and then i ramps up.

I know I need to take it slowly but it's really hitting me hard nowadays.

My muscles are so rigid and spine so stiff that I am beginning to wonder if its a type of dystonia / Parkinsonism ?

I have been reading in the forum and there are some that have these symptoms.

Would it be a good idea to drop the Seroquel to 3.125 mgs sooner rather than later ?

I am approximately 34 days since last cut.

Patience is a virtue

but I'm so very very worn out.

Please help.

• Mentor

Hi AR2003.    I am doing the serouqel taper,    I went from 25 mg to 21 mg.     18% cut.......    Symptoms unbearable for about 6 days,  then seemed to balance again.   During that time I couldnt leave the house, I can not do housework.   Not physical pain, all  in my battered brain.          Lack of energy, lack of enthusiasm, lack of any enjoyment from anything, ridiculous anxiety. Mornings worse. 

I also started on prothiaden, .  Ended up in hospital, and he blamed it on underlying bipolar?  OMG.  It was serotonin syndrome, no one knew that back in 1993.                            

Seroquel..........Just because it is a low dose, dont be tempted, as I did to do such big cuts.     6.25 to    3 mg, is a 50% cut.      

I think the cuts are harder, the lower you go.              So I would say, my experience, symptoms double, for a 20% cut.                  For me that lasts about 2 weeks, then I get a little bit of respite,  Respite means  I can usually just make it out grocery shopping with my son.  Days I can shower are good.

I am so sorry for your pain.    

Anyhow, seroquel symptoms for me?  Itching, unbearably scabby scalp and face.  Ear pain, also pain in shoulders, cant lift my right arm.  Anxiety.       Flares up each cut.      But we are getting there!  :)

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Ang

Many many thanks for your kind reply. You are so good.

You are really struggling too. It is so hard isn't it? I try so hard to be as positive as I can these days especially as I have a young daughter who means everything to me. I need to be there for her . Just sometimes its hard being here for me , if you know what I mean. She is on school holidays now and I dearly wish I could do more with her. But she's such a good lassie and so kind and helpful.

I hear you about the 50% cuts. I don't know how to do them anyway else. I use a pill cutter. I tried to buy a scale from amazon from the US and the UK but they do not ship to Ireland. The tablet is so tiny as you know , so it's hard to make smaller cuts.

Have you any other ideas ? ...

My doctor has not been very helpful in any of these withdrawls . She justs says ' you know where I am'

Ang , how long do you wait before making each cut ? Its really about listening to your body isn't it?

Yes it's so hard the lower I go. I have found that with every med withdrawal.

Keep in touch and I hope you have a fairly decent enough day today. I am so sorry for what you go through.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, AR.

I'm sorry you're struggling so much, but like Ang wrote, the cuts can definitely be harder at lower doses.

I'm sure you've already read this, but you may want to check out what it says about doing a liquid taper:

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

You may be able to get your Seroquel as a liquid from a compounding pharmacy. If not, Seroquel is moderately soluble in water, so you could make the liquid yourself:

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

You really have come a long way, so please give yourself credit for doing so well. Coming off antidepressants and then benzos and now getting down to 6.25 mg of Seroquel is really remarkable. It means you are very close to the finish line, but please go slowly and carefully the rest of the way so your landing will be as gentle as possible.

Sending healing vibes your way.

Shep

Again I thank you for your kind and encouraging words. It is really considerate of you considering what you are going through yourself.

I am not in the best place painwise at all. I only take paracetamol for it and the odd ibuprofen ( nurofen)

Pain meds are not something that I have taken and by hook or by crook , I will not start now.

Yes , I certainly have come a long way from where I was even this time las year. This time last year , I undertook a full year of trauma counselling including group work on a weekly basis. It was so helpful and I got a lot out of it. It helped me to get to know myself even if I fought against it at times. Sometimes , I wonder how I got to the sessions !!!

As you probably see from my previous posts , I am for a piriformis ( glute )muscle injection . I am on a waiting list . Pain is very severe in lower left back and left leg too. I am of the opinion ( as is the doctor ) that meds and successive withdrawal symptoms have caused considerable damage to muscles and trapped the nerves etc. It really hampers my daily activities of living .

I will take a look at the post on Seroquel as liquid. I will look into a compounding pharmacy. I think there is a pharmacy in the next county that does this but I am not 100% if they do . I know I need to go real slow as the cuts at lower doses have always been dreadful for me.

Take care and I hope you have a peaceful weekend.

• Moderator Emeritus

That is really impressive that you went through trauma counseling last year, which meant you did it during the acute phase of benzo withdrawal. You really are a warrior.

Have you read Dr. Bessel von der Kolk's "The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma"? There seems to be a lot in what he writes about trauma showing up years later, not just in our heads, but in our body. And it can manifest as pain.

I hope as you heal from the pain of psychiatric drug withdrawal, all of the pain will be resolved. There seems to be something rather cathartic for some of us as we go through this process. As you come off your last drug and heal, I hope you reach full resolution for everything, mind and body.

We deserve peace at this end of this.

Wishing you a great weekend.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I have tapered and jumped off Seroquel on 23 August 2016. I did not try a liquid taper. I just couldn't face it. I had an awful bad time with a milk valium taper early last year and it really put me off. :-(

The headaches are pretty bad . Eyepain. Like an ice pick in the right side of my brain.

The pins and needles sensation has increased dramatically.

Muscle twitching increased.

Physical pain increased and it is moving about . My pain is normally located on my left side but its migrating now.

I am having bouts of tearfulness , Dp , cog fog , sadness.

I am sleeping but waking up at times.

Slight nausea and dizziness .

Bloating increased.

There are probably more but I am so tired today.

I have done this taper over a 7 month period and, given all the meds I've been on, I was worried that it was contributing to the pain and stiffness I have been experiencing since January 2014. :-(

I have been on a cocktail of meds since 2013 and in all that time , I have been going on one only to come off another. Its been so draining and frightening. I am finally OFF ALL MEDS . :-)

Today for some reason I am scared. Scared that this pain will never let up. I donot think its AS bad as it was in 2014 and early 2016 but it never lets up. And now , with the other symptoms I am so very tired.

What is it like for you all that are finally off meds ? Early acute withdrawal ?

I really appreciate it if you can give me any support today . As good as my small family are , I do not want to bother them too much and I really try to keep plodding along everyday.

Many thanks for reading.

P.s.

Shep

Thank you for your previous post. I really appreciate your feedback and kind words.

AR.  You jumped from 6. 25 mg? That's like going off a cliff - into free fall. Shep advised you to go gently. What happened?

You have done well so far and it might be that a reinstatement might ease some of your symptoms.

Would you be open to that idea ?

I can understand that it's been draining and frightening but suddenly C/T is not necessarily the answer . The withdrawal symptoms can go on for quite a while. 

As it's only been a few days , I would reinstate and then continue a slow and gentle taper as previously advised.  We can help you with that and any questions you have about how to do that. 

Would you mind also updating your signature ?  I originally thought you had jumped from 25 mg. 

Thanks.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi AliG

Thank you for replying . It's really appreciated. I will update my signature for sure. No I jumped from 3.125 mgs.

I'll be honest , I had enough. I was into crumbs at that stage ( 3.125 mgs) and I do know that I could have held on longer. The battle with these meds has been awful.

I am feeling a little bit better this pm. My symptoms are usually pretty painful for about 8/10 days after a cut ( I am on day 5 ) , and then I go back to baseline. Baseline for me now is more of the same - daily muscle and nerve pain.

My mental symptoms have gotten a lot easier to cope with since I started coming off Seroquel.

I really don't feel like this is a cold turkey to me. I tapered this med for nearly 7 months and I was down to crumbs when I jumped. I waited for 9 months after Valium before starting it. A liquid taper was not for me.

I also have been so very worried about Parkinsonism. My muscles were very rigid even os this lowest dose. They have become slightly less rigid as I have tapered. I am hopeful so hopeful of a life with less physical pain following this last taper. I never had physical pain before these meds were prescribed and I was quite fit and in good shape when I developed this out of the blue.

I cannot see myself reinstating at this stage but I am thankful for your kind help and support. I will keep you posted.

Just updating my progress. I am on Day 11 of jumping off Seroquel . The first week has been tough. Headaches have been pretty awful and the eye and nose pain is sickly. They are one sided headaches - probably like migraine type. In the last day or so , they seem to have decreased in intensity. I try to get out for a walk and drinking more water . The morning time is definitely the worst. I have had little or no nausea which is good and my appetite is ok.

The pins and needles sensation does not seem as much and its only when I am lying quite still that I think or notice it. Muscle twitching has lessened too.

Muscle and nerve pain /stiffness remain but the pain doesn't feel as severe as last weekend 7/10. Its always there though. In the background. About a 5/10 today.

The DP is not so noticeable today. The cogfog is lessening and is manageable . I felt like cring yesterday but it o ly comes on quickly and leaves as quickly. This was something I really was afraid of in earlier withdrawals , it was as if I did not have an off switch when it came to crying. I cried and cried. Nowadays , I feel that it doesn't come 'over me'. Is that like a Neuro Emotion ?

I mentioned bloating. Its something I have dealt with on and off in withdrawal bur especially in past 6 months . It has gotten bad. Constipation was a big problem especially taking so many meds. I am hoping to cut out sugar and drop down gluten or try at least. It cannot not help ? I eat quite well but I eat too much sugary stuff and I am a nibbler. My family call me 'the mouse '.

I am managing my worries and anxieties about how long this may take and the worry about getting back into the world. I am a very quiet person always have been and nursing was my career. I am taking a break from it now for the foreseeable. I honestly feel that I will not be going back to what I did before. It was a very heavy unit and my responsibility was great there.

I don't have a definite plan for work yet . My plan now is to get through the day one at a time.

one of the most known side effects of seroquel, is constipation, I remember that  also I had this effect when I took him for a few weeks, once I quit the intestine has been regularized.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

Yes thank you Chuck83. It definitely is a big effect. I was plagued by constipation for a long long time. It will take a while to get my digestive system feeling ok again ? That is one of my reasons for trying to quit sugar .

I am sure there are much withdrawal to this too , no doubt !!!

After quitting the seroquel, My digestive system was regularized in a couple of days. After years I have had constipation, but it was due to the adverse reaction to SSRIs, and one serotonin supplemets, now after colonoscopy my intestine is total messed up, i have costant diarrhea, but I think this is not the same For U, probably after WD you'll be fine.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.