SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

My psychological issues started in high school - I experimented with halucinogens, for a higher knowledge. However, later on I started to participate in techno parties and this destroyed my sensitive psyche. First depression, then toxic psychosis. I was hospitalized 6 months, for schizophrenia, then addiction treatment and received several diagnosis since then. My self-esteem lowered quite a lot. From my childhood, I am a personality and anti-authoritarian, I did art and so on, which made psychiatrists always confused (literally, they often didnt know completely what to do with me).

During hospitalization, I tried to stop smoking, doing sports and learning, I felt quite well soon. But later on I started to smoke, started to drink alkohol as proposed by my psychiatrist to go to parties to have social contacts. It was a very renowned doctor, however today patient himself. However, I started to study at college, though not realizing i am completely dump on antipsychotics, always not understanding where the hell my creativity and inteligence from high-school disappeared. Of course - the diagnosis was to be blamed.

I ve been always interested in religion. in 2006, i tried to do yoga, and from 2007 i started to do daily. I really feel I was completely closed and dump in that time, didnt realize how diet, good company etc. are important as well. But in 2008 I started to do social work with autistic persons, which made mi stronger and forced me to start to travel, go to mountains, do sports etc. In 2010 I enrolled in a prestigious social work Master program. I didnt enjoy, but it definitely re-thought me how to use critical thinking and real scientific approach.

In 2011 i did a research in India on ayurveda, social work and autism, which i accidentelly succesfully completed by skipping my doses for 7 days, when my brain started to work for a while. Going back home, I started to experiment with ayurveda myself. Soon, I lowered the dose from "therapeutic" doses to 5 Mg of Zyprexa and Wellbutrin 150. I started to have conflicts with my psychiatrist, my colleagues and my profession in general.

By ayurvedic life-style, good job etc. I came to decision to withdraw in 2015. I had some knowledge of recovery movement, but I did a plan which was complete failure.

I thought that ayurveda and yoga would help me, and only that. I underestimated the rebound and all these things. I did quite a bad panchakarma in India, which happens to a lot of westerners, but for me it was disaster. I started to meditate, do pranayama, on my own, which made me terribly ungrounded.

In autumn 2015 i felt enthusiastic, I was completely off medication. I felt my inteligence, creativity, clarity came after 15 years. But, I stopped to sleep, and few days later i had visions or quazi-spiritual content, started to have depression, all rebound symptoms and finally some symptoms from my original toxic psychosis. I left my home and job, to protect clients and spouse and have less stress. In that time, I was without any contact with psychiatrists etc., didnt believe them anything. But in my state of mind I succumbed to suggestions of people around me that psychiatry changed. I couldnt, however, find any that "new psychiatrist" which was another sign of "not able to have a safe therapeutic relationship and therefore paranoid". Because I didnt have safe home, too, I was finally hospitalized in a very modern hospital in Prague.

However, very soon, I realized that psychiatry hasnt "changed", rather, it is quite worse then i used to be. So I did everything to be realesd from the prison. I found a new flat, and started to meet my spouse again. I tried a psychotherapeutic program, which was "new", but same patterns again. Finally, my yoga teacher recommended me a private psychologist, and I am in that process now and it helps. I started to very cautiously do yoga again. I found a physical job - gardens and ecological agriculture. This makes me grounded and gives time to plan everything. I am going to do social work only part-time, to reduce stress. Last 3 years I worked with refugees, and you know what is happening now in Europe...

I am preparing to have a house with a garden, to stay grounded during the next year. I am discovering a healing power of nature and physical work, which is well related to ayurveda philosophy. I know now that yoga is powerful tool, and in India usually corrupted. Its a tool, which can helps but also harm. I try to focus my attention to my body, which is grounding yoga technique, not to think much. I am not looking for "spiritual" fantastic experiences, rather for true and the Earth, and rebuilding my life. I also strive to find new supportive friends and I am partly succesfull. And I read this forum, because these information are gold, and no psychiatrist in present state of affairs will do this job for me, unfortunatelly.

Edited by scallywag
added tags

2002 - MDMA induced psychosis, seroquel and st. worth. Abstinence from drugs. 2003 - psychosis relapse: olanzapin and citalec

2012 - 5mg of zyprexa and 150 Wellbutrin, starting with ayurveda helped
2015 - too fast and uniformed withdrawal; hospitalized and remedicated, first to 15mg Zyprexa; lowered to 10mg of Zyprexa when discharged. Abstinence from alcohol now on.

2016, sept – hospitalized again, forced treatment: 10 mg Zyprexa and 400mg amisulprid (Amilia).

2017 hospitalization (added abilify)

2018 so far last hospitalization

2019 heart palpitations, abrubt abilify withdrawal, stabilization on 5mg of olanzapin since then

Current medications and dosages:
5mg of olanzapin

Current supplements: Mentat (ayurvedic herbal blend for mental issues), St. worth (one cup a day), I drink mineral water

• Moderator Emeritus

Tomash -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry to read all that you've experienced and hope that you'll find information here that will support the life you've created and the future you want for yourself and your family.

Thank you for taking the time to create a signature. Be sure to add any changes in drugs or dose when those occur.

Because you have had problems before with sudden changes in psychiatric drugs I am concerned about your plan to reduce your dose by 2.5 mg. That is a 50% reduction and could start unpleasant symptoms.  We recommend slowly reducing dose -- cutting no more than 10% of your current dose at a time, and making reductions once a month -- and making written notes on paper of your physical, cognitive, and emotional symptoms.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Introduction to antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

What is withdrawal syndrome

Here is our information about Zyprexa: Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Each member has one introduction topic; this is yours. It's the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

2 tips:

1. You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread.  Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears:  select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

2. Setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.

Please read the topics, especially the first one that explains a 10% taper.  Come back here to post your questions and to let us know how things are going for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Silver star - unfortunately i cannot edit my post now, so I hope that I will not make scary other people here. Yes, you are right and I really do have a plan to lower my dose by 10pc, punctually as described in the links you sent me. Also, in case my sleep is disturbed i will go back, as I have a plan for the next year to go through a longer rebound in a save environment if it happens, when tapering off to zero.

2002 - MDMA induced psychosis, seroquel and st. worth. Abstinence from drugs. 2003 - psychosis relapse: olanzapin and citalec

2015 - too fast and uniformed withdrawal; hospitalized and remedicated, first to 15mg Zyprexa; lowered to 10mg of Zyprexa when discharged. Abstinence from alcohol now on.

2016, sept – hospitalized again, forced treatment: 10 mg Zyprexa and 400mg amisulprid (Amilia).

2019 heart palpitations, abrubt abilify withdrawal, stabilization on 5mg of olanzapin since then

5mg of olanzapin

Current supplements: Mentat (ayurvedic herbal blend for mental issues), St. worth (one cup a day), I drink mineral water

• Moderator Emeritus

Tomash, I'm happy to read that you're going to taper your Zyprexa dose in a gentle and gradual manner. :)

Members can only edit posts for 60 minutes after they've submitted.  For example, your most recent post was submitted at 15:59 (in Central Europe), so you can edit that post until 16:59.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 3 months later...

I once again fell down for various reason, I would like to openly share, though its not easy for me. Please see my history in profile, I have been on Zyprexa 5mg for 1 year, and I had been on Zyprexa and Wellbutrin for more then ten years while on 5mg for 3 years.

This September I was in a stressfull situation. I was waiting for a job contract to legalize my job. I was  near break with my girlfriend. I was also looking for a safe and convenient yoga practice, with which I wanted to start after some time of often changing yoga schools. I also was looking for new friends, with some success, as I got a bit isolated in the last years.

It was recommended to me Kundalini yoga - sacred therapies by an american psychologist. I tried. I started to feel great after few days of practice, even extatic, with changed state of conciousness, which is the sign of my paranoia to come soon. My therapist recommended me to stop this yoga, and for a while to stop with any yoga. Immediately I started to feel empty, and my day schedule was a bit broken. I did some sport, but not regularly.

Soon, I started to feel some magic spell is put on me. It was a paranoia, but it did have, as always, a true core - 4 years back I was involved in black magic, and this was probably a carma or psychological repercussion. It was a matter of hours when I become completely paranoid. Due to my job without contract I thought a police is behind me, I thought there is an african spell because my girlfriend was in Africa in that time, and other, quite terrible delusions.

I had some contract of what to do in such situation with my psychiatrist, who is a bit of (at least on the surface) reformist and recovery oriented. But he didnt follow the plan, he thought its “too medical” and as i was completely in chaos I ended up in hospital where he and my parents sent in 2 days. It is the most terrible hospital in my city. When admitted, I told them I want to consult new drugs they gave me as its my right, and they said **** you with your rights, if you dont cooperate, we will give you the drugs by force. THe paranoia stopped as I consulted my fears with my girlfriend, a lawyer etc. and yes, the medication did its part.

In that manner, the hospitalization, ordered now by a court, continued for 1,5 months. I am out know, traumatized and also depressed, because they might cancel my driving licence, while driving is part of my future job and I am not sure I can do it without it. Ive lost all idealism regarding my previous profession - social work, and I can see in all those “professionals” only terror and violating of basic human rights. I also see now that parents play part in all of this, and I must not rely on their help anymore.

I am not sure what to do. I feel out of my personality. I have 10 mg of Zyprexa and they “added” 200mg of Amilia, a stimulating antipsychotic. I used to be on Zyprexa 2,5-5 mg for 3 years. Is it right that I can withdraw Amilia quite quickly, because I was taking it for such a short time? I feel I must be very careful, so I want go on 7,5mg of Zyprexa, and slowly taper off Amilia, let say 10pc in 1-2weeks and see whats happening. Please, do you know any source of objective information about Amilia? I cannot find any.

When back on 5mg of Zyprexa, I will use some herbal stimulant, because I feel I need something to compensate this terribly sedative drug. And start to rebuild my life. After that, if I feel so, I will withdraw completely, but there is a lot work to do first. I also watch Paranoia network and think there are quite good advices and books.

I also apologize for my English, I am from the Czech Republic. I hope its well comprehensible.

Edited by scallywag
moved from new topic started in Tapering

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post to your introduction topic so that all your information will be in one place.

Nice to see your post, Tomash, but sorry to read about what happened for you in September. When we're tapering these medications, we need to be so careful with supplements and activities.

I don't know much about yoga, but recall hearing something about Kundalini yoga having the potential to be "mind-altering."  If you had a strong reaction to it, it's probably best that you stopped that until you are off medications.

There are a number of medications available that use the name "Amalia" What is the generic name of the medication Amalia?  Zyprexa's generic name is olanzapine; Wellbutrin's generic name is bupropion.

Would you add your dose changes in September and your current doses to your signature? Also it would help us get a quick understanding of your history if you deleted the lines aren't about medications and dose changes. Here's a version that could work:

2001 - diagnosis 1st: toxic psychosis, final: schizophrenic. Antipsychotics and antidepressant, various doses and types. A/Ds for zyprexa compensation

2007 - changing citalec to wellbutrin. New diagnosis: border-line personality

2012 - 5mg of zyprexa and 150 Wellbutrin, adopting ayurveda helped
2015 - gradual tapering off, by skipping days to complete withdrawal; Result: deep depression, psychospiritual emergence/rebound - most hard was paranoia, black perception and insomnia
2016, jan - hospitalized and remedicated, first to 15mg Zyprexa; lowered to 5mg of Zyprexa when discharged.
2016, july -  quite succesful without antidepresants. 4,5mg Zyprexa.

2016, sept -

Planning to withdraw in spring 2017, diligently following recovery method

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you for feedback scallywag. I changed my profile signiture. Amilia is Amisuplrid.

5mg of olanzapin

hi Tomash,

How do you plan to taper your zyprexa. I am interested because i am tapering an anti psychotic also.

Will you be making large decreases monthly?

Thank you and good luck

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

Hello,

I am not sure, whether you are in a similar situation as me – you ve been taking antipsychotic for a short time and you didnt have psychosis, it might be much easier for you.

I feel that if I lower the dose up to 5mg, nothing special would happen and I have the experience from the last year that it really didnt.

If I go under 5mg, I think that is my minimal dose (see a free book on Mad in America Guide to minimal use of neuroleptics), I may have altered states of conciousness and psychotic symptoms and I have to be careful. My plan is to rebuild my life first (regarding job, money and relationships), I will do a manual job which stabilize my mind and I enjoy it – organic farming and gardening. Through out the process I will use supplements and ayurvedic medicine, and do yoga regularly. I will also follow guidelines made by Paranoia Network, which I feel is what I need in an extreme states of mind. From the 5mg dose I will be lowering 10pc per 3-4weeks, as described here on Survivig antidepressants.

Best wishes

5mg of olanzapin

But, please, be carefull anyway, withdrawel of antipsychotic may cause psychotic states even in healthy persons.

5mg of olanzapin

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

after the hospitalization, I would like to slower tape to 5-7,5mg of Zyprexa and complet withdrawel Amisulprid while working on the quality of my life. On present high doses I dont feel my preception of events is correct, I feel sleepy and conciousness-closed all days and cannot wake up earlier then after 9-12 hours of sleep.

Amisulprid is not an antipsychotic break, but its and antipsychotic “accelerator”. I am not able to google amisulprid from any recovery source. I have a question, how to taper from my present doses. I lowered my amisulprid to 200mg from 400mg after the resease from hospital, and it seems to do nothing, except Im less agitated, probably. I would like to lower now Zyprexa to 7,5mg and then slowely amisulprid to 100 and then Zyprexa to 5mg. Then Amisulprid slowely to zero. When on 5 mg o zyprexa, I would like to wait for a better life cirmumcstances to withdrawel completely by 10pc with some plan. During that time, I would like to use some herbal activator, like cacao seeds or schizandra, as on Zyprexa I am sleepy quite a lot. Do you have please any comments on my plan?

Thank you

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

You are taking 10,0 mg Zyprexa (olanzapine). You are taking 200 mg amisulpride.

I would like to be clear about your proposed plan:

1. As soon as possible: lower Zyprexa from 10,0 mg to 7,5 mg.
  2. Stabilize
  3. Slowly lower amisulpride from 200 mg to 100 mg
  4. Stabilize
  5. Lower Zyprexa from 7,5 mg to 5,0 mg.
  6. Stabilize
  7. Slowly lower amisulpride from 100 mg to 0 mg

Questions for you:

Are you thinking about decreases in Zyprexa as one step or many taper steps?

If done all at once, Step 1 is 25% and Step 5 is 33%.  Both of these decreases are much more than the 10% we suggest to keep the risk of symptoms as low as possible.

How will you "slowly lower amisulpride"? What are the decreases you are planning to make?

scallywag's Introduction

Hello Scallywag,

thank you for your reply.

I was thinking that I wanted to go down as fast as possible to 5mg of Zyprexa, on which I did well whole this year. The dose was highered in hospital and Amisulprid was added by the doctor under threat of violence.

However, I am thinking it through once again. I watched some video about yoga as a means to deliver our goals, thinking about patience etc.. Maybe it would be better to be cautious right from the beginning. So to start with 10pc from 10mg of Zyprexa to 9mg as you suggest and then to 8 and then to 7,5mg. Then to lower Amisulprid to 150mg and then to 100mg, and then continue with 10pc of Zyprexa. Doing yoga, ayurveda and recovery supplements all through. What do you think?

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

I think your adjustments to Zyprexa are slow enough. It's possible that decreasing 50 mg amisulpride from 200 is be too much and too fast.  I need to find some information about amisulpride before I can say more about that.

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you, so far, Ive found only very general info

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

I have found only very general information about amisulpride as well.  For that reason, it's probably best for you to be cautious and to make conservative dose reductions, 10% or less, to learn about how your CNS responds.

It is inadvisable to taper both medications at the same time. It *may* make sense to start with the amisulpride while you have Zyprexa as a buffer. Please read the posts in the discussion at this link:
Taking multiple drugs? Which to taper first. 

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you for caution, Scallywag,

I need to write here, that when I left the hospital, I immediately,  somehow intuitively, lowered amisulprid to half the dose, from 400 to 200mg. I hadnt noticed anything, except that I am less agitated now.

Also, I dont feel good that I would stay on 10mg of Zyprexa and lower amisulprid to 0. Because during that time, I would be very sedated and sleepy. I already  am quite a lot. And I feel, though dont know, that Zyprexa is broad-spectrum antipsychotic and therefore have more side effects.

I would like to first lower the Zyprexa to 7,5mg by 10pc and then amisulprid, and then continue with Zyprexa.

5mg of olanzapin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I hope that your withdrawal works out okay - I'm writing the following in case its helpful to avoid any painful glitches - this was my experience when I didn't monitor my withdrawal sufficiently and took the wrong action.  

My experience may have been different because I have been on amisulpride for a long time, but from what I remember, I found that as I tried to reduce the dose below 200mg, I became edgy very quickly.  At first I was a bit high because I was processing things faster, but then became extremely stressed  (around 180mg) and then from that because I didnt reinstate the last dose I had fast enough, but instead, with poor judgement, decided to stop taking the amisulpride, it led to a severe crisis with paranoia and psychosis which lasted for some time.  

(This change and the action I took happened quite fast- so would definitely advise to be check in with moderators here and whatever happens, caution you against making any sudden jumps or stopping completely because I wouldn't wish my experience to happen to you.) 

From what I understand amisulpride 'switches' in the way it works at about 200mg - also it has quite a short half-life,  I don't know if the same struggle to withdraw below 200mg would apply to everyone, but I thought best to be forewarned.  

After hospitilization, I was prescribed a different antipsychotic - Abilify - together with the amisulpride, and I have found finally that I have been able to reduce the amisulpride below this dose very gradually - hopefully I can then withdraw from the second drug..      

Wishing you all the best and hoping things are much more settled in your withdrawal journey. 

History:- 1993: - prescribed Prozac - soon started having momentary episodes of psychosis - 1994: psychotic breakdown  - prescribed high doses of antipsychotics including Depixol, Chlorpromazine (with procyclidine to control pacing) and later prescribed olanzapine, haloperidol, risperidone with different antidepressants (relapsed or crashed each time I tried to reduce or withdraw from meds).  Can't recall all combinations of drugs have been on.   2007: amisulpride 400mg & venlafaxine 75mg    2013: Got down to 150mg amisulpride, but hospitalised with v.bad psychosis after dropping to this dose and coerced into taking 600mg (always hit problems when dropping below 200mg)  2014: reduced and then problematic symptoms of psychosis, mid-Dec - back up to 200mg,

Feb 2015 had reduced to 180.5mg crashed badly and suddenly and hospitalised : prescribed 300mg amisulpride, 10 mg aripripazole, 50 mg sertraline.  Gradually reduced to 60.75mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify only by Dec 2016.  shortly after 30/1/17 two days paranoia, held and stabilised.  made 2.5% reductions in amisulpride to get to 50mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Held for long period of time to let CNS stabilise as unable to tolerate any more reductions (from Aug 2017)   April 2018 40mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify.

Current Meds: 17.6mg amisulpride, 10mg abilify plus 2000mg metformin for type II diabetes

Thank you for advice, Whitely,

I am considering the threshold of 200mg amisulprid seriously. I want to be cauitous now as much as possible. It seems to me, that you had problem with tapering off the only one antipsychotic you were taking. I have the same experience with Zyprexa - on certain dose things go a bit of psychedelic or psychotic symptoms occure, so for such action we must be very well prepared. When I will be reducing the last antipsychotic, I will use non-medication techniques to cope with psychotic states: antipsychotic herbs, yoga and meditation and also guidelines how to behave like Paranoia network has on their website.

But for now I will be cautious because I dont want any extreme states now, so I ll stay on 7,5mg of Zyprexa as a buffer as I was adviced here and very slowly tapering off amisulprid, hoping Zyprexa will be enough to do the job. Thank you very much, I am taking the 200mg threshold idea seriously and will monitor my doses/symptoms thouroughly.

5mg of olanzapin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I hope that your withdrawal works out okay - I'm writing the following in case its helpful to avoid any painful glitches - this was my experience when I didn't monitor my withdrawal sufficiently and took the wrong action.  

My experience may have been different because I have been on amisulpride for a long time, but from what I remember, I found that as I tried to reduce the dose below 200mg, I became edgy very quickly.  At first I was a bit high because I was processing things faster, but then became extremely stressed  (around 180mg) and then from that because I didnt reinstate the last dose I had fast enough, but instead, with poor judgement, decided to stop taking the amisulpride, it led to a severe crisis with paranoia and psychosis which lasted for some time.  

(This change and the action I took happened quite fast- so would definitely advise to be check in with moderators here and whatever happens, caution you against making any sudden jumps or stopping completely because I wouldn't wish my experience to happen to you.) 

From what I understand amisulpride 'switches' in the way it works at about 200mg - also it has quite a short half-life,  I don't know if the same struggle to withdraw below 200mg would apply to everyone, but I thought best to be forewarned.  

After hospitilization, I was prescribed a different antipsychotic - Abilify - together with the amisulpride, and I have found finally that I have been able to reduce the amisulpride below this dose very gradually - hopefully I can then withdraw from the second drug..      

Wishing you all the best and hoping things are much more settled in your withdrawal journey. 

Hello Whitelily,

I would like to ask you a question: Today, I just lowered the dose of amisulprid from 200mg to 180mg. How did you prepared your dose? I dissolved the tablet in the water and used syringe to measure the dose. The tablet dissolved in the water completally, making it white, but only after hard shaking and waiting for 10 minutes. Do you think this procedure is ok?

Thanks for your ideas, there is no info on amisulprid available...

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

Tomash, the way you made a liquid and then withdrew the dose with a syringe sounds right. Amisulpride is "practically insoluble" in water so you get what's called a suspension rather than a solution. To deal with the fact that the particles aren't fully dissolved (even though they're very small), make sure that you use the syringe as soon after shaking the jar as you can and pull up the liquid from the middle of the container.

I did a little research and discovered Sanofi makes a liquid called "Solian Solution." You may want to check with a pharmacy to find out if it is available in the Czech Republic.

scallywag's Introduction

Hi Tomash, sorry - i have only just seen your question but I see that Scallywag has given you the answer you need.

I have no experience of making a liquid suspension yet.  I weigh my dose by breaking up tablets and using a jeweller's scale which was recommended on this website.  But I have recently spoken to a pharmacist with my mental health team who said that it may be possible for them to prescribe me an amisulpride solution.  I haven't taken them up on this yet, as so far its working out fine to weigh it as mentioned.

I will probably switch to a liquid when I get down to smaller doses.  

History:- 1993: - prescribed Prozac - soon started having momentary episodes of psychosis - 1994: psychotic breakdown  - prescribed high doses of antipsychotics including Depixol, Chlorpromazine (with procyclidine to control pacing) and later prescribed olanzapine, haloperidol, risperidone with different antidepressants (relapsed or crashed each time I tried to reduce or withdraw from meds).  Can't recall all combinations of drugs have been on.   2007: amisulpride 400mg & venlafaxine 75mg    2013: Got down to 150mg amisulpride, but hospitalised with v.bad psychosis after dropping to this dose and coerced into taking 600mg (always hit problems when dropping below 200mg)  2014: reduced and then problematic symptoms of psychosis, mid-Dec - back up to 200mg,

Feb 2015 had reduced to 180.5mg crashed badly and suddenly and hospitalised : prescribed 300mg amisulpride, 10 mg aripripazole, 50 mg sertraline.  Gradually reduced to 60.75mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify only by Dec 2016.  shortly after 30/1/17 two days paranoia, held and stabilised.  made 2.5% reductions in amisulpride to get to 50mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Held for long period of time to let CNS stabilise as unable to tolerate any more reductions (from Aug 2017)   April 2018 40mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify.

Current Meds: 17.6mg amisulpride, 10mg abilify plus 2000mg metformin for type II diabetes

Thank you for answers. Ive been now on 180mg for 4 days. Nothing serious happens, but I feel I have more emotions and I am more alive. This change is deeper then when I went from 400mg to 200mg. Might be only my impression, but is seems my body somehow reacts.

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

Tomash, it's good to read that you're feeling better at a reduced dose. Please be very careful as you taper. With medications like amisulpride it can be very tempting to decrease dose fast. Making large decreases or making frequent decreases will almost certainly result in very difficult withdrawal symptoms. Do everything you can to keep to a slow, steady taper.

3KIS: Keep it slow. Keep it simple. Keep it stable.

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you Scallywag,

please, could you write me more details about amisulprid? Why is it more tempting then other drugs to taper too fast? Why it can suddenly cause serious withdrawal symptoms? Is it because its an antipsychotic?

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

My comment about the temptation to go decrease dose faster than planned or recommended is an observation based on what I have seen happen with other people in your situation. I don't know why it happens, only that it does.

All psychiatric medications affect your CNS (central nervous system). In the first few weeks or months you take the medication, your CNS makes changes to adapt to the presence of the medication. When you decrease dose, your CNS starts to undo these changes. The best explanation for symptoms with a fast taper is that the CNS can't keep up. Have a look at these for more explanations and descriptions:
One theory of anti-depressant withdrawal syndrome
How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"
Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Scallywag,

Now I have read most of the important topics here in S.A. I have a question in my mind of how I can transfer the knowledge about antidepressants withdrawel to antipsychotics withdrawel. Is the pattern of waves/windows the same? I have some quite important problems  during antipsychotics withdrawels then emotional unstability – the paranoia delusions, which keep me from functioning in the society. I have many ideas how to fight them, but havent found any direct experience here in SA (some few only in the book Anatomy of epidemics by Whitaker), though still reading the forums to find it..

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

The pattern of windows and waves seems to be the same for ALL psychiatric, neuro-active medications -- anti-psychotic, anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, anti-convulsant, tranquilizer, etc.

You can find other members taking anti-psychotic medication posting in topics such as these:

Being on or tapering neuroleptics ("anti-psychotic) medications.

Hallucinations - it gets better. provides a link to a post and video on beyondmeds.com:

If you're using the non-mobile version of the site, there is a list of introduction topics of people taking or tapering the same medications as you. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site to see the list. Instructions about how to switch versions are in this post.

Two moderators have experience with hallucinations, either their own or those of a close family member. You may want to read their introduction topics:

Shep's journey.

JanCarol - Reboxetine first, then lithium

scallywag's Introduction

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I found a recovery oriented community psychiatric team. They are quite open, and though I am alerted when talking to them, because they are psychiatrists, they seem very respectful so far. They ask me what dose I want and follow me with everything.

Today they told me information on Amisulprid. It targets D2 receptor very intensively and only that, so it target paranoia and delusions, especially between dose 100-400mg. I guess this also means that amisulprid doesnt have effect on sleep so much. On lower doses, it is used as a slight mood elevator and energizer. I am now on 100mg so it is something like this right now. It is prescribed rather in Europe then in the US.

Fortunaly, I seem compensated as I didnt notice any change during lowering from 400 - 100mg. But those those with delusions and paranoia without compensation such lowering would probably have effect regarding these symptoms.

5mg of olanzapin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have some update. I lowered dose to 5mg of Zyprexa. I know should have done amisulprid first, but the sedation of Zyprexa was unbearable and I was afraid of my job starting soon full-time, that I will not be fast enough in the mornings.

I jumped to 5mg of Zyprexa, I feel profound changes. I wake up earlier and I dont sleep 10hours a day. I am starting to process things faster and I slightly start to enjoy my job. I have sometime hardtimes get to sleep – I lay in the bad for 20minutes before sleep starts.

But overall its good and I rather enjoy. No I will withdraw slowly the amisulprid and I will go to 2,5-1,5 of Zyprexa during the spring-summer.

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

"I have sometime hardtimes get to sleep – I lay in the bad for 20minutes before sleep starts."

This might be from your brain still processing things from your day at work.  20 minutes is not a long time before being able to fall asleep.  Accept it and don't worry about it otherwise it might take you longer to get to sleep.

It's good to hear that you are processing things more quickly and beginning to enjoy your job.  When I lowered my dose of Pristiq I wasn't sleeping during the day (and then sleeping all night) and I found that my processing got faster and I started enjoying what I was doing.

Thank you for updating your signature with your new dose.  Could you please add the date to your 5mg Zyprexa so that we can see at a glance when you lowered your dose?  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

"I have sometime hardtimes get to sleep – I lay in the bad for 20minutes before sleep starts."

This might be from your brain still processing things from your day at work.  20 minutes is not a long time before being able to fall asleep.  Accept it and don't worry about it otherwise it might take you longer to get to sleep.

It's good to hear that you are processing things more quickly and beginning to enjoy your job.  When I lowered my dose of Pristiq I wasn't sleeping during the day (and then sleeping all night) and I found that my processing got faster and I started enjoying what I was doing.

Thank you for updating your signature with your new dose.  Could you please add the date to your 5mg Zyprexa so that we can see at a glance when you lowered your dose?  Thank you.

Thank you for the answer. Just yesteraday I started to practice acceptance and feelings before sleep. This was the biggest problem during my first unsucceful withdrawal – the panic, mine and my family, about my sleep.

5mg of olanzapin

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find this helpful:  Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I am off Amisulprid. During the last reduction last week, I felt a difference. My perception during the day is somewhat less chemical - dont know how to describe it in other words. I think more and IQ goes higher. On Tuesday I experienced very mild paranoia symptoms, which I reduced in an hour by CBT paranoia coping technique. Since then, everything is fine.

I decided to start to be more punctual in my recovery method, as the matter becomes more serious.. Yoga, ayurvedic diet, sleeping pattern, herbs, meditation, social matters etc. and less thinking about future and how to help others, concetrating on myself. I will wait around 2 weeks for my brain to rest a little bit, and then will reduce to 4,5mg of olanzapin. This will be a critical step because according to my experience as well as the theory such dose is no more antipsychotic and doesnt influence D2 receptors etc. If I am well, half-the-job is done and I will report here.

5mg of olanzapin

...at least I hope half-the-job is done

5mg of olanzapin

You might find this helpful:  Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Thank you. I think the panic in my family was during the first attempt to withdrawal - nobody knew what was happening. But I am making bookmark..

5mg of olanzapin