SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Skeeter's Journey

Skeeter

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Skeeter.

You're doing very well considering you went for 4 days without Lexapro. That's long enough to trick your mind/body into thinking you were off, so it may take awhile to get your nervous system to settle down again.

I have been exactly where you are when it comes to neuro-emotions, so please do as much self care as you can.

Happy New Year to you. I hope 2017 is a much better year.

Sending healing vibes your way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Shep,

You are so kind. Thanks for your time! I feel the vibes a'comin!!!

S

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Skeeter - 

I found this on the last page - 

anyone that goes down on the meds and stays at, say 5mg for an extended time go into WD. And I note this for emphasis, assuming that yo do a proper taper all the way down, and listen to your body for symptoms (like feeling very worn out).

Yeh.  Not like benzos.  But - at any dose, any drug can "poop out," or "kindle," or make you more sensitive to stress.  So - like you say - it is important to listen to your body for symptoms.

If you have done a nice, clean withdrawal down to 10 mg, and want to stay there for awhile to adjust, that's brilliant!  If you think that 10 mg lexapro is essential for living, and try to hold there for 5 years or more - you may run into "poop out" trouble, and start to have symptoms because your body has fully acclimated to the drug. 

Doctors respond to this by increasing dose.  We tend to respond to it by tapering, but it's harder once you go into "poop out," because you have symptoms if you taper, and symptoms if you don't.  But the goal of tapering is often total freedom, or lowest effective dose (and lexapro is strong).  

So it may be subtle, to "catch" your hold before it goes into a "poop out" phase.

but I am a child again

Oh Skeeter, I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles!  4 days without Lex is a major deal, and in my opinion has delayed your smart "start your taper date" by at least another month.  It breaks my heart to hear of the emotional struggles that you express so clearly.

Is any of this rumination?

Rumination used to be a part of our survival, when we were living rough - how to protect the children from the bear, where to hunt next, what techniques for hunting work better, was that root really good to eat? - and many other survival items that we would ruminate on, after the sun went down, and talk about with our family or tribe.  It was a key part of learning and surviving.

The problem now, is that these survivals are now handled by modern society (when was the last time a bear was seen in your neighborhood?).  But our brains are thinking machines, it's what they do.  

So instead, the brain has other things to focus on:  should I have said that?  what did she mean?  I definitely shouldn't have done that!  Maybe I could've done better?  What if I'd said this instead?   These problems are unsolveable!

Then, the judgements come in (because the brain is a thinking machine, and you've exhausted all the scenarios, and your emotions are engaged, so you start to judge:  I am such a failure!  All I do is hurt people!  I am a burden to those around me, I am useless!

The first step is to disengage the emotions; as you found, the silly children's song is useful for that!

Then - learn to observe the thoughts, back away from judging them.  They are only thoughts, it is only your brain doing what it was born to do.  

The images I have used for thoughts are train cars, rattling by on a track.  You can jump on any one of them and go for a journey - but the goal is to let them go by - they are just thoughts on a track.  Let them go by.  As soon as that thought goes by, then another will take it's place.  Your brain is doing it's job.  You can even use the rhythm of the train tracks to tell yourself:  thinking, thinking, thinking.

The best way to separate yourself from thinking is to pay attention to your breathing.  When you focus only on your breathing, that connection between your body and the rest of the world - air - inhale, exhale, breathing - then you notice that the thinking is not so important.

Another image I have used is clouds.  You can't control thoughts, anymore than you can control clouds.  They come and go as they will, doing what they do.  (The Sound of Music has a line:  "How do you catch a cloud, and pin it down?")

The difference between me and a zen master, is that the zen master still thinks, but he has run so many thoughts down that track that his thoughts are more efficient.  He has traced the thought generating mechanism to its source in the brain, and manages to pay attention only to the thoughts which are useful.

He still has clouds in his skies, but they are clearer, brighter, and more likely to be productive.

or is it more like Neuro-emotion ?  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3611-neuro-emotions-deep-despair-dread-doom-horror/

If it is the former - then Mindfulness and Acceptance are a key to surviving.

Question:  "Did they really mean that the way I heard it?"  Answer:  I am breathing.  That was just a thought.  The thought is a cloud in the sky, a temporary thing.  I am breathing, and the feeling is a cloud in the sky, a temporary thing.

If it is the latter - then you know - it is a symptom.

Question:  "Am I a bad, useless person?" Answer:  This thought is a symptom.  My brain is a thought creator, and it is doing it job by creating thoughts.  The thoughts and feelings being created are a part of my healing process.  It is temporary, it will pass.

Both issues - rumination and neuro-emotions - are temporary and will pass.  The rumination is easier to unstick with a little effort, while the neuro-emotions will have to be ridden like a wave.  The show must go on!

You have been brave enough to dance on a stage in front of thousands!  I'm sure there were times when things went horribly wrong - it wouldn't be a stage, otherwise.  (we call them "train wrecks" in the music industry)  But the show must go on!

I'm not saying that you must hip-hop your way through, but even if you crawl through the routine as best you can, and realise that the train-wreck of rumination and neuro-emotions are temporary, surely that can lift you up to fight another day?

I hope you see the sun today (though I suspect you are under snows?)

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Happy New Year Skeets! :)

I'm thinking of you as you progress your taper.

Hugs,

JC xx

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

JanCarol,

I mean to go down to 5mg, 10 id just a stopping point.  I need 5mg for my PMDD.  I am sure you might not agree with that, but the SSRIs change my cycle to 8 weeks, and my PMDD, which is off the charts in severity then comes monthly and lasts 12 days minimum (up to 14) every month.  Poor J will attest to that.  I am a very kind person,  I warn him if I am having a bad pain day, and warn him that I might snap at him (always apologize immediately after, too- so he does not hold it against me), but with the PMDD, I am MEAN, and there is no warning good enough, and no sorry big enough to cope with the animal I become.  SO SCARY!  If I lose my meds again, I will need to get down to 10mg as fast as safely possible.  10% every 4 weeks is not even an option at that point.  Now I am stuck, because I refuse to start my taper until I am 100% symptom free for at least a month. I can afford 10mg a day.  My attorney DID refer me to several places to try to get the meds if they cut me off.  Medicare, which this med IS in my formulary refused to pay even, so I was paying very inflated prices.

Emotions:  NOT rumination, I do not think.  I do not keep running the thought through my head except at that moment.  I always associated ruminating with repeated thoughts, almost on a loop.  I think it is more neuro-emotions, but I already knew my opinion will be discarded when I put the idea forth, and it was.  So, at least I know I cannot handle rejection, not to even try to put ides down that can be discarded so easily.  I put a ton of thought into my opinions and ideas I add in "reports", or ideas for the site, so for it to be easily dismissed is not something I can even come close to tolerating right now, so I mustn't try until I get my normal self back instead of the mean little gremlin that is inhabiting my brain now.

I feel like I have gone back to needing MY freaking hand held, when I should not need that at this stage. No one has time for this crap right now.  So I will stay where I am safe, and just be a mod and not add any personal ideas or opinions where they could be opined upon (in my head, almost all of it is criticism, not my normal way of thinking, for sure, as I am a champ when it comes to constructive criticism...usually). Luckily my reasoning skills where it comes to modding are more intact, though intellect is not at full speed, so at least I can pull some of my own weight.  I hope this passes fast as there is no time to babysit me.  I am quite angry that this is where I am.  I am smart enough to not just blame it on the pharmacy, they did not mean to do this, so  tend to do the less smart thing and blame myself for my current shortcomings,,,lol! GRRR!

Thanks for the kind message, it is much appreciated!

Happy New Year!

S

Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

• Moderator Emeritus

JungleChicken,

All has been put on hold.  The 4 dys oof of Lex has thrown my life a wee bit upside down, but thak you for the cheery thoughts. I hope your taper goes perfectly!!

Happy New Year!

S

JungleChicken,

All has been put on hold.  The 4 dys oof of Lex has thrown my life a wee bit upside down, but thak you for the cheery thoughts. I hope your taper goes perfectly!!

Happy New Year!

S

Sorry to hear that Skeets, but once you've stabilised, you'll be good to go again.

My taper? Pah! not going to happen until my emotional state is in a better place.  Decided that today with hubs.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

Jungle,

Good job! I heartily agree. You want to step off from as stable a place as you can. I like your husband more ad more! He is a good man for sure!

SKeets

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

OMG!  Saw my specialist today, and explained to him that I was a mod on an AD group, and specifically told him it was for people coming off of AD's.  For my records I mentioned that I would be slowly starting to lower my dose on my Lexapro, and that our site says 10% reduction per month OR LESS (as will be my case to start with), as the info from big pharma is far too fast (which my doc agreed with...) so I would be going at my own pace.  He then asked me if I would like 10mg pills.  I told him that sadly, the insurance will not pay for 2 - 10mg pills per day, and he said he knew that, meaning that he wanted to cut me by 50% as my first taper.  Apparently he was not actually listening to me!!!  I will have to be doing some doctor education at my next visit!

Sadly, Lexapro is key in keeping my PMDD under control, so I am aiming at 5mg (from my current 20mg/day).

I am contemplating doing a very slow Valium liquid micro taper (or perhaps dry cutting?) while I do the Lex taper.  Why?  Because I am not stopping either totally, am staying on each for a different medical issue. a goal of 5mg, so I do want to get down 10 mg so I am only taking 5mg per day for the shooting pains- the reason I was taking it before my 4 month Xanax Fiasco. I was taking V before X for another medical condition.  Why am I thinking of doing these in sync with each other?  Because it will take me  couple of years to come down on the Lexapro and I do not want to stay on this level of V for that long.  I know that the body can poop out on Valium.  I do not want to have to increase at my current dose of V (15mg/day). 

Feel free to opine (or not).  Physical (and emotional) comfort is of paramount importance to me, so super slow is the only way I will do this, it is why I want to do both at once, as I will be going so incredibly slowly. I will start with the Lex, see how that goes, then slowly will add the Valium reduction, reducing each at different times. This will be well thought out with plenty of holds.  Feel free to mention anything I may not  have considered in this decision. It is very important to me that I reduce this Valium, more important that the Lex, actually.  However, the Lex is too strong for me, so I do need to reduce it.  So both are of equal importance to me to reduce .  Feedback encouraged.  I am in a great deal of pain, so let me know if any of this did not make sense. Twisted my bad shoulder today putting on my coat, and just cannot get comfy- my fault! Ouch!

• Mentor

Skeeter,

Sending my warm wishes for a smooth taper. Yes, comfort is key here; I couldn't agree with you more.

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Skeeter,

Many thanks for your visit to my thread.

So kind of you.  But as you say - and I am sure we all agree - your caring for others seems to work better than caring for yourself.

What a tough time you are having.  Rest assured, your contacts, including myself, are thinking of you.

Maybe a crumb of comfort is that I was able to wean myself off a benzo (ativan) over 30 years ago, but I did have short relapses.  IIRC a change to the AD Anafranil helped immensely.  In retrospect, I do believe that was a lesser of two evils.

But hey, look at me. still on 150mg Effexor.  My reduction by 33% since last summer seems like a real achievement, though.

I have had longish reasonable spells in my life.   What you are going through right now does not sound like "much cop" as we say in the UK.

Hoping you will find a path through your difficult times, soon.  Spring here just now (mid 50s in Scotland mid 60s in England yesterday.).  Snowdrops, crocuses, nest boxes been put up in garden.  A time of optimism - hope you can tune into those vibes soon.  Typically for our volatile weather, we may get snow on Thursday, but mildness returns a day later.  Never a dull moment with the weather in NW coastal/island Europe.

Love & best wishes

peng.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Skeeter,

Sending my warm wishes for a smooth taper. Yes, comfort is key here; I couldn't agree with you more.

RS

RS,

Thanks. I missed a dose a week the last 3 weeks in a row, and will have to wait until my system calms, but I will begin!

You are always so sweet!

Thanks!!

S

• Moderator Emeritus

Skeeter,

Many thanks for your visit to my thread.

So kind of you.  But as you say - and I am sure we all agree - your caring for others seems to work better than caring for yourself.

What a tough time you are having.  Rest assured, your contacts, including myself, are thinking of you.

Maybe a crumb of comfort is that I was able to wean myself off a benzo (ativan) over 30 years ago, but I did have short relapses.  IIRC a change to the AD Anafranil helped immensely.  In retrospect, I do believe that was a lesser of two evils.

But hey, look at me. still on 150mg Effexor.  My reduction by 33% since last summer seems like a real achievement, though.

I have had longish reasonable spells in my life.   What you are going through right now does not sound like "much cop" as we say in the UK.

Hoping you will find a path through your difficult times, soon.  Spring here just now (mid 50s in Scotland mid 60s in England yesterday.).  Snowdrops, crocuses, nest boxes been put up in garden.  A time of optimism - hope you can tune into those vibes soon.  Typically for our volatile weather, we may get snow on Thursday, but mildness returns a day later.  Never a dull moment with the weather in NW coastal/island Europe.

Love & best wishes

peng.

Peng,

Thhak you for you kind visit. I love crocuses, but do not know what snowdrops are. I will have to take a look-see! SO glad you could get out and plant! We had rain here today! Usually we are up to our hips in snow with freezing temps so cold they cause frostbite within 45 seconds with the windchill right now, but we had that in December, which is usually pretty mild, everything is backwards!

Thank you!

Skeeter

Hi Skeeter,

I saw you on MN's thread so I thought I would come over and say hi :) I've been reading a little of your thread and it seems you have had a rough time of it. I'm so sorry to hear of your Grans' passing, it is so hard to lose a loved one and I think the w/d makes it even harder. My heart is with you.

I think you have a good plan for your tapers. I'm just hoping that when you get down to 5mg on the V you will be able to hold without any problems. Is that the amount you used to be on? 

I was on clonazepam years ago and I went off of it with no problems. Then they put me back on it in either October or November 2016. I kindled and ended up in tolerance really fast. Then they reduced my dose to from 1mg to .75 and I was able to stabilize on that dose even though I was in tolerance which was great. Then I had an adverse reaction and I had to CT from buproprion. I ended up increasing my clonazepam to deal with the horrible anxiety and horrors of horrors I ended up in tolerance within two weeks. I held there for months and then started having additional sxs that I had never had with my buproprion CT. I guess I'm just worried that you could get into tolerance and then tolerance w/d if you stay at 5mg V for a long period of time. My own personal experience influences my opinions on this :blush: .  I know some people never have that problem and maybe you'll be one of them. That would be awesome. I just wanted to put that out there as something to consider. I really hope you can slowly taper to 5mg and be able to stay there as it seems that would be ideal for your situation.

I also hope you start to stabilize soon so you can start your taper. 

Hugs  

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

• Moderator Emeritus

thtd,

I just realized after reading others threads that with the amount of dental work I have coming up, I maybe should not begin to taper quite yet.

I have been on PRN 5mg tabs of Valium for the rolling muscle spasms and the shooting pains in my arms for years.I am in pain and cannot even think of the dosing.  Twisted my arm on Monday, and the temp and weather changes are driving me up a wall at the moment.  Anyway now it is all screwed up. since the Xanax fiasco. So I really cannot answer, so sorry  My doc allowed me a certain amount a day but said to use the as I needed them as long s it worked out to my monthly allotment, so my body went up and down, and I never had an issue.  I hope that bodes well.

I am very worried about upsetting my balance.  Thank you for you worries, they are ones I already have, for sure.  Iw tiwll take me forever and a day to even get to that pint with my plan, all I can do is hope.

Thanks so much for stopping in!

Skeeter

Hi Skeeter,

Sorry to hear about the dental work and it causing you to have to hold on your taper plans. 

I really hope that you are on of the ones who can stay on it without problems. It seems that you really need it for your pain. 

I'm with you on the super slow taper plan. It's all good though. I'm just hoping that for all of us tapering really slowly that our sxs will decrease as we reduce our doses. I've read of it happening for a lot of slow taperers so I have high hopes for all of us!! We'll get there eventually so long as we keep plugging along :D

I hope your dental procedures go well and you recover quickly. Also that your arm feels better. This crazy weather is wreaking havoc on a lot of bodies I think. Absolutely no fun. Though the warm days were nice!! :)

Hugs and healing

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

• Moderator Emeritus

tntd,

I twisted my arm badly, and normally read u on those I reply to, but I am so uncomfortable that I have not had a chance yet, please forgive me for now, cannot keep my mind straight. Odd foe me as I live in pain, but cannot keep it under control at moment. Would love t talk to you about your taper, after I read your thread!

Could take a bit in my current situation.

S. ;)

Thinking of you Skeets,

Apologies for lack of contact, and for not answering your PM.....YET!

It'll be Spring soon for you guys.

Hugs,

JC xx

Major Life Events: 

• Mentor

Skeets,

I just read about your arm.  So sorry to hear. I hope you feel better soon.

xo

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Sorry to hear about the arm Skeets.  Treat it gentle and keep it warm and like the rest of this stuff it will get better with time.

((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I hope your arm heals quickly. No worries on responses. I just noticed you on a lot of threads and found I like your attitude  :D so I wanted to see how things were for you. I will enjoy talking with you about my taper, and yours, when your arm is healed. I hope it heals quickly for you. I wish you didn't have to live in pain. I do know what you mean about some days keeping things together is easier than others. 

Hugs and healing 

• Moderator Emeritus

Rest up and heal, Skeeter. Seems like everything hurts worse during withdrawal, so I hope your arm heals up soon.  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Skeeter, Sorry to read about your arm.  If it's soft tissue, you might find magnesium and/or potassium supplementation helpful. I took a spill on an icy sidewalk (ill-advised footwear choice and lack of attention on my part) a few weeks ago. I pulled something in my calf and other somethings seemed to cramp very easily. I noticed significant improvements in my mobility when I made sure to take magnesium twice/day rather than once/day or occasionally.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hope you heal soon, Skeeter.

XX

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Skeeter, Sorry to read about your arm.  If it's soft tissue, you might find magnesium and/or potassium supplementation helpful. I took a spill on an icy sidewalk (ill-advised footwear choice and lack of attention on my part) a few weeks ago. I pulled something in my calf and other somethings seemed to cramp very easily. I noticed significant improvements in my mobility when I made sure to take magnesium twice/day rather than once/day or occasionally.

Man, do I remember those icy sidewalks!

Some streets were sheet ice just like an ice rink - waaay to easy to go over :blink: 

Skeets, sorry you're in a bad way.  Last thing you needed to happen.

TC,

JC xxx

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I usually respond to you one by one, as I appreciate the time you take to come here to be so kind, but for once I have been inundated, and with the scar tissue I ripped loose when I in my shoulder- let us hope that is all I did...(while putting on my coat to go to my doc's office) has left me too painful to type much. I have a complicated history with this shoulder, so this was a really dumb move on my part...lol!

I will not be following things as closely as usual for a bit.  I decided to try to type 2 handed for part of a message tonight (injury was 6 days ago), and that was a bad choice!!!

Thanks to you all.  Am a bit stressed with some other things, so a mini break is called for. Will be around, reading as I can, just not much posting.  Thanks for understanding!!

S.

• Moderator Emeritus

Scally,

I am so sorry, I am off, so I forgot to thank you about the vitamin tip. I truly appreciate it. Sorry for my rudeness, not myself at the moment. J has t work tomorrow, I will have to remember to page him at work.

Thank you all!!!

S.

Thinking of you Skeeter. Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs

Hi, Skeeter. I read through your thread, but my benzo brain doesn't retain much. :P

I do hope your arm has gotten better by now. And I'm sorry for all the other stress you have going on.

Hugs,

MN

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks you to, that is very kind! I hope you are doing well!

For us this was one of the 10 warmest February's on record! I did not mind that part!

Take care of yourselves!

Skeeter

LOL, I love it MN. It really was like we got a vacation in the south for free. Spring is upon us now and we should be steadily starting to warm up....maybe?

Not really, but the calendar says it is  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Skeeter,

I just wanted to drop in and tell you that I'm thinking about you. I hope your arm is doing better.

Hugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry guys, I forgot about my own thread while off healing.  Just noticed now that someone(s) had replied!  My bad.g

Today close to 50 degrees!  Buds on trees!!!