reachingforthestars

How many success stories do you know personally?

42 posts in this topic

Dini, is it possible this was Dr Glenmullen,s book you are referring to? If so, even he goes faster than what is recommended on this site. But, he is more helpful than most!!!!

Hi tripled 15:

Thanks for the information.

If you read my signature, you will see that I was nauseous from June-November, 2016. Then I woke up one morning and it was gone! I was so happy.

I got on liquid Lexapro and took it for 2 months and started to taper again in January,2017. I did fine until I got to 7.3, and here came the nausea again. I guess my body doesn't like the 7's. But I'm going to make it through them with the help of Apace41.

If you have any suggestions, I would be happy to take them.

Thanks for listening to me.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Posted (edited)

Triple yes, in fact it was! I looked up the title and the author is Glennmullen! I read the book but had to chuck it because I agree the process is too fast. This woman agreed on that part, which is why she said she'd hold so long because even his taper method was too fast for her but the info she read in that book led her to do more research on it and she figured out a taper method that fit her needs best and was off completely in 3 years. It sounds long but she said she didn't have much withdrawal during those years so it wasn't noticeable so she was able to have a life while tapering off. She said it went by faster than you'd think, but she is super happy to be off of them altogether now!

moderator note: Book title is The Anti-Depressant Solution

Edited by scallywag
moderator note

Well, I was at my dad's today and he is disabled so he has people who come in and take care of him regularly, and one of these ladies used to be on prozac. She developed insulin resistance on it and so her doctor took her off her medication during a 6 week taper. Two months later she got horrifying withdrawals. Akathasia, depression that was so dark, etc. She reinstated and stayed on it for a couple years. She thought she would be on it forever. But she decided to come off of it and happened to read a book, I can't remember the name now though, by a guy who used a slow taper method. (If I get the name of the book and author again I'll post it here later). Anyway, she tapered herself off slowly and has been drug free for 5 years now and doing great. She said what helped most was being patient. She said going lower wasn't bad because she started to do longer holds close to the end. Even when she felt fine she stuck out a hold even longer just to be gentle with herself. She didn't keep her taper on a schedule, she said she did holds even when she didn't have wd symptoms just to make sure her system was ready for the next cut.

A wise course of action. It's good to hear of someone getting off of such crap.

I would say the year mark is when you start to see shifts but I would say (for some long term users like myself)- 3 years is pretty customary.

Hi,

I know two success stories.

One male on tricyclics and Anafranil for depression/OCD through his twenties (on and off), then Luvox (fluvoxamine) for several longish periods of a couple of years before coming off and having extremely successful CBT for his OCD. He's now doing very well. Back to his pre-drugs metabolism of sleeping only 5 hours a night, very energetic, very successful in his work and creative/clear-thinking.

The Luvox made his sleep a lot more, put on a lot of weight, did lessen OCD and anxiety symptoms but he felt that he couldn't really attack his OCD cognitively until he was off the drug. And he finally found a doctor who knew what to do.

One woman who went on an SSRI with second pregnancy I think, some sort of postnatal depression. Became calmer, put on weight. Tried after about 5 or 6 years to come off unsuccessfully, but did a quick taper (skipping days method) a few more years later and had no problems. Told me she was sick of the weight gain, and feeling kind of plateaued, so she tapered off with no WD symptoms. Felt clearer in the mind, lost weight (with exercise), it has been some years now and she seems fine.

In the first case, depressive issues were present from teenage years, and far more chronic. In the woman's case, she had no prior history of issues but I think just became overwhelmed with life changes and expectations of early motherhood.