If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

How many success stories do you know personally?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#37 triplem15

triplem15

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationAppleton , WI.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

Dini, is it possible this was Dr Glenmullen,s book you are referring to? If so, even he goes faster than what is recommended on this site. But, he is more helpful than most!!!!
I do take Flonase,also take Zyrtec on and off. Maybe twice per week. I am on Vit. C, B-complex, Vit. D, selenium, Vit E, fish oil, and l-lysine and thats it. No street drugs. No alcohol. 9/2006 Welbutrin XL 150mg, Began Weaning June 15, 2015, Alternating days, changed each mos. Oct 2015 switch to Immediate release 37.5mg. mid october 2015 down to 18.75, (9.37mg twice daily. stayed there one mos.) Dec 2015 down to 9.37mg in AM and 7mg in PM, January 2016 down to 7mg AM and 4.6mg in PM. 4/5/16 cut down what I thought was 2.5 to 3mg. From 4/16/16 until yesterday, was not doing well. 4/20/16, 37.5mg yesterday for first time. 4/21/16 Two days now on 37.5mg. 4/22/16 took monitors advise and dropped dose to 18.75, split dose ,twice daily, now holding.

#38 Frogie

Frogie

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Hi tripled 15:

Thanks for the information.

If you read my signature, you will see that I was nauseous from June-November, 2016. Then I woke up one morning and it was gone! I was so happy.

I got on liquid Lexapro and took it for 2 months and started to taper again in January,2017. I did fine until I got to 7.3, and here came the nausea again. I guess my body doesn't like the 7's. But I'm going to make it through them with the help of Apace41.

If you have any suggestions, I would be happy to take them.

Thanks for listening to me.

Take care,
Frogie xx
PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Zoloft, 1997-1999; switch to Paxil, 1999-2002 ___2009 - 2015: Gabapentin, 900mg, 2010-2015: tapered of 9 weeks, last dose Sept. 2015, no symptoms ___ Lamictal, 300mg, 2009-2015, taper of 6 weeks, last dose Oct 2015,no symptoms ___ Valium, 40mg, 2008-2015, 8 week taper, last dose Dec 2015, no symptoms ___ 2016: Carafate 1mg (anti-ulcer med) 4x a day as needed. Prescribed but not taking it. ___ Prilosec 40mg; 28-Aug started 25% taper; 1-Oct 20mg a.m. + 15mg p.m. Stopped Nov 26, 2016 w/rebound acid but not too bad.---CURRENT MEDICATIONS---Supplements: 150 mg Mag chloride, 350mg Krill Oil, Milk Thistle, ProbioticFor nausea as needed: Zantac, 300mg only "as needed". Zofran 4mg for nausea; only take it when nausea is unbearable or phenegran.Xanax, 3 mg in 4 split doses, 2008-present Lexpro: 2002 - March 2016: 20 mg; Mar-Apr 2016: 8 week taper 20 mg - 10 mg; 8-June 9mg; 13-June 10 mg; 11-Sep 7.5 mg; 25-Sep 5 mg; 5-Oct 10mg; started taking Liquid Lexapro in Nov 2016; started taper with liquid 1-Jan-17 9mg; 22-Jan 8.1mg; 22-Feb 7.3 mg, (horrible nausea); 30-Mar, updosed to 7.6 (1st morning, not as much nausea, hopefully it will get better); nausea was brutal; 6-April, updosed to 7.9mg, hoping nausea will let up; nausea stopped on 14-April for 2 days so far; 17-April nausea started back up :( stopped supplements on 10-April

Levothyroxine
50mcg 18-April for hypothydroidism Stopped by dr. on 20-April too many side effects, going to try again in 6 months

#39 dini84

dini84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI, USA

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

Triple yes, in fact it was! I looked up the title and the author is Glennmullen! I read the book but had to chuck it because I agree the process is too fast. This woman agreed on that part, which is why she said she'd hold so long because even his taper method was too fast for her but the info she read in that book led her to do more research on it and she figured out a taper method that fit her needs best and was off completely in 3 years. It sounds long but she said she didn't have much withdrawal during those years so it wasn't noticeable so she was able to have a life while tapering off. She said it went by faster than you'd think, but she is super happy to be off of them altogether now!

moderator note: Book title is The Anti-Depressant Solution

Edited by scallywag, 30 March 2017 - 06:10 PM.
moderator note

January 2014 put on 25mg Zoloft (Sertraline) for what my OBGYN called "hypertension" because I was pregnant at the time she said to take it for sleep.

(This entire time, even while on it, I knew absolutely NOTHING about SSRIs or what they did or why I was even on it once my pregnancy was done).

New doctor kept titrating my dose every 12 months, (from 25mg for one year, to 50mg second year, to 75mg for 6 months or so) but I hated the side effects (fatigue and no sex drive etc) didn't need it so decided I wanted to get off of it.

April 2016: Started fast taper from 75mg Sertraline, then cold turkeyed off 25mg (per doctor's instruction) end of June 2016, one week before the fourth of July.

July 2016 - August 2016: Had a "honeymoon" phase with mild WD symptoms for 3 months, had my libido back and more energy to do things again etc.

September 20, 2016: Got hit with a massive wave and WD symptoms (did not know about WD at the time). Called my doctor who had originally taken me off Sertraline and his only response was "it's your symptoms coming back." I was refused to be reinstated on Sertraline, was put on Lexapro for two weeks instead, had bad reaction, was switched right to Buspirone 30mg for two weeks, had awful vertigo and nausea as side effects so begged doctor to allow reinstatement of Sertraline, was reinstated on Sertraline October 26 2016 started first week 12.5mg, while still tapering Buspirone, doctor ordered titration each week from 12.5mg-50mg, had awful WD symptoms for 3 months during reinstatement, just first feeling stabilization in month 4.  

#40 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

Well, I was at my dad's today and he is disabled so he has people who come in and take care of him regularly, and one of these ladies used to be on prozac. She developed insulin resistance on it and so her doctor took her off her medication during a 6 week taper. Two months later she got horrifying withdrawals. Akathasia, depression that was so dark, etc. She reinstated and stayed on it for a couple years. She thought she would be on it forever. But she decided to come off of it and happened to read a book, I can't remember the name now though, by a guy who used a slow taper method. (If I get the name of the book and author again I'll post it here later). Anyway, she tapered herself off slowly and has been drug free for 5 years now and doing great. She said what helped most was being patient. She said going lower wasn't bad because she started to do longer holds close to the end. Even when she felt fine she stuck out a hold even longer just to be gentle with herself. She didn't keep her taper on a schedule, she said she did holds even when she didn't have wd symptoms just to make sure her system was ready for the next cut.

A wise course of action. It's good to hear of someone getting off of such crap.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

#41 Pennylane34

Pennylane34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNyc

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

I would say the year mark is when you start to see shifts but I would say (for some long term users like myself)- 3 years is pretty customary.

#42 TikkiTikki

TikkiTikki

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

Hi,

I know two success stories.

One male on tricyclics and Anafranil for depression/OCD through his twenties (on and off), then Luvox (fluvoxamine) for several longish periods of a couple of years before coming off and having extremely successful CBT for his OCD. He's now doing very well. Back to his pre-drugs metabolism of sleeping only 5 hours a night, very energetic, very successful in his work and creative/clear-thinking.

The Luvox made his sleep a lot more, put on a lot of weight, did lessen OCD and anxiety symptoms but he felt that he couldn't really attack his OCD cognitively until he was off the drug. And he finally found a doctor who knew what to do.

One woman who went on an SSRI with second pregnancy I think, some sort of postnatal depression. Became calmer, put on weight. Tried after about 5 or 6 years to come off unsuccessfully, but did a quick taper (skipping days method) a few more years later and had no problems. Told me she was sick of the weight gain, and feeling kind of plateaued, so she tapered off with no WD symptoms. Felt clearer in the mind, lost weight (with exercise), it has been some years now and she seems fine.

In the first case, depressive issues were present from teenage years, and far more chronic. In the woman's case, she had no prior history of issues but I think just became overwhelmed with life changes and expectations of early motherhood.

Celexa

40mg    June 2006 - June 2009

60mg    June 2009 - late 2010

Tapered then resumed

40mg    Dec 2010 - April 2013

Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free (4 months)

40mg    Nov 2013 - Jan 2017

20mg    30 Jan 2017 - 18 April 2017

18mg    19 April -