SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ cakesgimmecakes: Couple Qs for you warriors out there

cakesgimmecakes

You said it, Orchid. It's a lesson (ha - "lesson" is an understatement) to pay attention to our health -- all our health. Can't get complacent about it.

I've said this from the start: HOPE is everything. Patience is as well. Thank goodness for everyone here, assisting and encouraging and providing real help that doctors never, ever could. In some ways, I owe my life to this board. There were some DARK times....

September 2001 - 10 mg Sarafem (fluoxetine) for mild case of PMS that could have been helped by exercise and diet modification! I was NOT depressed prior to taking this drug. July 2002 - CT, no issues except stomach distention (honestly, I think daily running helped, but I didn't know a thing about WD or that it even existed)

August 2003 - reinstated to resolve severe stomach bloating (a WD symptom from year before; didn't realize it was a WD symptom)

2003-2009 - on and off 10-20 mg, CT at several points with no issues! Literally no issues except stomach distention.

March 2009 - CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

March 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

November 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, insomnia began one month later.

January 2011-January 2015 - went on 10 mg fluoxetine every six months for one month, always CTing.

March 2015-November 2015 - Finally learned to taper! 

September 2019 - fully recovered from WD; gut issues remain

"The only way out is through." 

Congratulations to your success getting off the poison and nice healing!

So happy for you!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Thank you, NoMoreAds and Lex. The support is life saving. Not an exaggeration. Healing vibes to you.

September 2001 - 10 mg Sarafem (fluoxetine) for mild case of PMS that could have been helped by exercise and diet modification! I was NOT depressed prior to taking this drug. July 2002 - CT, no issues except stomach distention (honestly, I think daily running helped, but I didn't know a thing about WD or that it even existed)

August 2003 - reinstated to resolve severe stomach bloating (a WD symptom from year before; didn't realize it was a WD symptom)

2003-2009 - on and off 10-20 mg, CT at several points with no issues! Literally no issues except stomach distention.

March 2009 - CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

March 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

November 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, insomnia began one month later.

January 2011-January 2015 - went on 10 mg fluoxetine every six months for one month, always CTing.

Congrats on your recovery!!! Maybe look into SIBO and healing the gut. Withdrawals has a way of making our gi tract sluggish. I am currently treating with Allimax to kill the bacteria in small intestine and then heal the gut lining thereafter. Should help with the receptors in the gi system.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Hi!

The withdrawal and the drug itself has messed up my sex hormones and they do interfere with my thyroid hormones as well. After every drop I get very clear hypothyroid symptoms (water retention ect.) and I feel like thyroid medication stops working. (I have Hashimotos.)  But hypo symptoms ease up the longer I stay on the same dose. I believe your adrenal and thyroid issues are temporary and in time your body will recover from the stress. Do you have any hormonal medications? How long did it take for you to taper off antidepressant? To me it looks like you tapered very fast and yet you are having more windows than waves :)

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

Tootsie - I treated positive for SIBO 7 years ago. I've taken rifaximin 3 times, and I'm currently on a leaky gut protocol. Abstaining from Advil for my menstruel cramps has helped heal me a lot (meanwhile I nearly croak from pain because Tylenol ain't no Advil, amirite?). I also did the Paleo Autoimmune protocol for 30 days. The gut stuff I think is thyroid related, but then again with SIBO 7 years ago, I think Prozac has been messing with my GI health for a very long time.

Reachingforthrstars - I can't tolerate thyroid meds (the T3 pools and I get INCREDIBLE heart pounding). The pooling is happening because I'm low on ferritin (correcting that now, but the iron pills feed the Candida -- *sigh* such a vicious cycle). Also, my adrenals can't take the increase in metabolic energy because my adrenals are stewed from Prozac withdrawal. I'm in the school of approach in which I'm letting my system settle itself, homeostasis, because EVERY TIME I attempt a new drug, new supp, I get adverse reactions. My body communicates. And we all know this with withdrawal. It says NO. So.....patience. Weird that years ago I could take Naturethroid for 2 years. Now? No. My last taper took 10 months, with a 1 mg drop every month. I was reacting poorly to Prozac at that time, which never happened to me before. My cortisol was tested during my taper (saliva) and it was triple the regular amount. With high cortisol for 10 months, literally probably 2 hours of sleep on top of that, I think the stress put my entire body over the edge, and that takes time to recover from. Stress does VERY bad things. So, meditation is very important to my healing, as well as mindfulness. Being mindful not to give a **** about things that aren't essential. Because in all honesty, that's how life should be lived: low stress. Prozac use and then withdrawal taught me MANY things, but one of the main lessons has been to live one day at a time. Fearing withdrawal will last forever causes more subliminal stress than anything. Stress is no one's friend.

Tootsie - I treated positive for SIBO 7 years ago. I've taken rifaximin 3 times, and I'm currently on a leaky gut protocol. Abstaining from Advil for my menstruel cramps has helped heal me a lot (meanwhile I nearly croak from pain because Tylenol ain't no Advil, amirite?). I also did the Paleo Autoimmune protocol for 30 days. The gut stuff I think is thyroid related, but then again with SIBO 7 years ago, I think Prozac has been messing with my GI health for a very long time.

If this is the case, I'm worried i've had SIBO undiagnosed for years. Oy vay this will take some patience to treat. I took some berberine and neem last night and my white tongue cleared up but boy did I feel like crap. I read that SIBO/leaky gut causes very low iron because we can't absorb it. I am tremendously low in iron plus i bleed so much during my periods. Which resulted in the D&C procedure. Didn't help, so my hormones must be messed. Strange considering my hashimotos antibodies came down from 500 to 150 and it's still not curbing the bleeding. look into Selenium and Iodoral for your thyroid issues.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Tootsie, white tongue is Candida related (it's thrush). Having SIBO and Candida together is common with leaky gut.

It's been a solid 6 months of me treating the Candida. It always comes back. Low carbing does not work and frankly I was asking for trouble with that because low carbing made me weepy and lethargic and it's bad for the thyroid. I'm happier with carbs. I avoid gluten, eggs, dairy and refined sugar.

I hope all settles the longer I'm off Prozac and my body reaches homeostasis. Stress reduction I think is my ticket to Healthyland - but not on an express bus. Nothing is fast in AD withdrawal.

OH! And killing off Candida and SIBO does cause one to feel like hell until the toxins are flushed out!

Getting my ferritin up right now is a priority. I don't think we can say brand names here, but I use a ferrous fumarate supp from Amazon that doesn't constipate me. I take it with food-source vit c. Yes, chronic SIBO and Candida leads to poor nutrient absorption.

I also treated candida with a lot of diflucan and it didn't seem to make a difference. If these herbs work for both candida AND sibo, i'm in for a double whammy.

For the Iron, I may look into IV iron in the near future. Nothing like putting iron right where it needs to be lol. I hope with time, these issues resolve for you and all of us. Sometimes the best thing to do is just wait.

You are so right, Tootsie. In a strange way, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has the Candida/SIBO thing around here.

My cycle is driving me NUTS today! Small panick attacks all night long, and I don't have a ZRT saliva Lab kit to test if I'm high on estrogen or low or high on prog or low. The silver lining is that I can calm myself very, very well from the anxiety: "This is just hormones. It will pass. Let's think about some cute doggies until we fall back asleep." Works every time. Never feed the anxiety monster!

• 3 weeks later...

Did you think that rifaximin affected your mood at all? Were you more irritable and distressed when you were on Riflaximin? My daughter has been very nasty, irritable and snapping at me all week while she's here for a 5 day visit. We finally had a huge blowout last night. I am very upset. Has she been this nasty because of the medication do you think? I have no clue why everything I think say and do pisses her off so much. 

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

• Administrator

I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

I hope you will add yours to our Success Stories forum eventually.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, Silver Star, sorry you're experiencing that with your daughter. I wasn't moody or nasty; HOWEVER, when you're killing off the nasties in your body, some people react poorly. The dying off process produces so many toxins that need to be flushed out, and it can cause mental reactions. Milk thistle tea and charcoal and bentonite clay can speed along the toxin-carrying-out process.

Thank you for your reply,  cakesgimmecakes.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at glutamime for leaky gut...it was something I came across on bodybuilding.com.

1997 – 2006:  prozac (40 mg) with trials of desipramine, wellabutrin, lamictal, straterra [CT when stopping the trials]

2005: CT lamictal after 2 years

Mid 2006: CT prozac

Late 2006:  several challenging life situations lead to depression, started prozac, lamictal and straterra again

2007-2015:  prozac (40mg), lamictal (200-300 mg), trials with seroquel and topamax [again, CT when stopping trials, no issues yet]

2016:  3 month taper of lamictal to 0 mg [caused rash], prozac 40 mg to 20 mg

2017:  prozac 20 mg to 10 mg [major oh ****, reinstated to 40 mg – now I know what AD withdrawal is]

Feb 2018:  Prozac 30 mg

DSS,

Is L-glutamine and glutamine the same. She has started taking L-glutamine. I hope it helps. Her doctor is now sending her for am MRI...

So good to see you doing well Cakes!

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

Christian! I've tried to message you, but it says you can't accept any messages. How are you doing? I think of you often.

• 1 month later...

Hi Cakes,

Glad to hear you're healing. I know that I have a whole bunch of hormonal issues too; high prolactin, low T3, high cortisol although unconfirmed (although I gain weight so incredibly easily), leptin/ghrelin...ugh. I'm just curious how you're doing now, if since your last post 2 months ago if there's any change for the better? I'm honestly terrified my endocrine system will never recover (granted I'm still tapering), and being worn out/gaining lots of weight/etc. is really starting to get me...

Best wishes!

4/24/16: 20 mg citalopram

8/1/16: 15 mg

8/22/16: 10 mg

9/16/16: reinstated to 12 mg

12/1/16: 11 mg

2/20/17: 10 mg

11/20/17: CT, med free

1/18/18: began regimen (keto, synthroid, supps, etc.)

11/21/18: off keto, lowered synthroid, began exercise

2/07/19: off synthroid/all supps

4/15/19: began tirosint (clean version of synthroid, with less side effects)

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, everyone (Hi, rowinghippy - so sorry for my delay; just seeing this right now).

You guys -- funny, right now the song on my Pandora is "Crazy" (Alanis Morrisette version). Funny, right? If you listen to the lyrics...

I'm giving my 13.5 month OFF PROZAC update here.

My system is currently extremely thrown off because I've tried once again to take thyroid meds (I have low T3 -- T3 is the most important thyroid hormone -- most doctors ignorantly only test TSH, which is NOT a good measure of thyroid health). My adrenals just can't handle it. I feel positively horrific -- terrible palps, hypoglycemia, INSOMNIA, nausea. Hopefully in a week, a lot of this will settle.

Outside of this setback: I think like most of us who are recovering from our touching the SSRI poison, I don't handle stress well. My adrenals took a HUGE HUGE HUGE hit with my going off and on Prozac so many times.

Overall, I don't feel depressed. I'm busy in grad school right now, and I think it's being so busy and mentally distracted that has kept depression at bay. I also walk a ton (in NYC now). My anxiety is all but gone, but I occasionally I get some, and it's usually related to poor sleep, which I experience quite a bit lately. When I sleep, I feel almost back to myself inside my head. My body is still recuperating in terms of adrenals, and right now I'm trying like the dickens to raise my FERRITIN IRON, which affects T3 in your thyroid (if you guys aren't aware, there's tons of research that low T3 causes tons of jazz but for us it can cause depression and anxiety. This leads me to believe that SO MANY people are put on psych drugs when in fact their thyroid isn't working properly -- most doctors don't even test T3! I recommend the web site stop the thyroid madness dot com to learn more).  

My last symptom of SSRI withdrawal is insomnia. It gets OK sometimes, but then it flares and it's brutal. It flares from stress -- too much exercise or eating something too stimulating (I haven't had caffeine in 7 years, but something like chocolate can stimulate me right into insomnia -- it's so stupid and crazy and pisses me off). I'm in a bad sleep spell right now because I jacked around with thyroid meds again (sending my adrenals into TOTAL overhaul -- ugh, high cortisol feels horrific...but then low cortisol does too). I wanted to pass along something that could help, but it's buyer beware because I'm unsure of the long-term adrenal damage this causes: taking the anti-fungal DIFLUCAN lowers cortisol for about a month after a 150 mg dosage. When I was in the deep throes of my withdrawal (taper), I took one pill because I had candida pretty bad and I remember sleeping pretty OK for about a month (it lowered my high nighttime cortisol). So...do with that what you will.

I hope you're all well. My heart is with all you. Even if you don't believe in higher powers or anything spiritual out there helping you, know that I put energy out there that's healing for you. I know --- I sound like I still live in kooky Los Angeles! Ha. Anyway, what I'm saying is that PEOPLE CARE about YOU and you might feel alone, but YOU ARE NOT. Hang in there. You will MAKE IT. The body has this incredible ability to heal itself. I didn't think I'd have my creativity or mind back, but they're back. There was a time I wanted to die (not commit suicide -- but just be dead, and this was extremely scary to feel). I don't feel that anymore. Therefore, I know the majority of Prozac's hold on my mind is gone. Withdrawal is A LIAR, it's a TAUNTER, it's TEMPORARY. Don't believe everything you think! If I did, I'd be six feet under right now. 

I'll update again around the 18-month mark (which is when most of us make a pretty good turn -- here's hoping). 

Current supplements:

Iron

Vit D

B6

a little bit of a B complex (pretty stimulating if I do more)

Magnesium (CALM brand -- others stimulate me, go figure)

Zinc

Kelp - Iodine (a little -- I don't need to detox, as that's tough on the body and we need to be GENTLE)

Selenium

Vit C

Cod liver oil

Hi Cakes, I've also been getting terrible anxiety and pounding heart after eating. So much so that I cry and feel ****. I think there is a reactive hypoglycaemia which triggers cortisol to be released to try and manage glucose Levels. If your cortisol levels are already high it would explain the extra anxiety. I've gone on a low gi diet and will start taking Phosphatidylserine to help lower cortisol.

About 20 years on SSRIs and SNRIs since 1995. Was diagnosed with 'Post Natal Depression' after suffering from extreme fatigue. I was not depressed or anxious.

Tried about 5 times to stop due to intolerable side effects (uncontrollable rage, impulsivity, detached emotions, memory loss, slow reactions and lowered intellectual ability) but unable to due to extreme withdrawal symptoms. 

Had ECT therapy in 2009 after reinstating of Effexor and many other ADs failed.

ECT great success but Pdoc prescribed Effexor again to prevent relapse.

Effexor for two years after having ECT therapy. 

Tried to withdraw form Effexor again 2010 but aborted due to the death of my father  and withdrawal symptoms unbearable with grief.

Recently on Pristiq 100 for 5 years.
Jan 2017 Have been tapering over ONE YEAR from Pristiq and have now completely stopped for 7 weeks. Experiencing severe waves of melancholia and anxiety.

Would like more ECT. Feel that my body is over sensitive to SSRI and SNRI meds.

Hi, pinkslippers. Yes, I know all too well that anxiety after eating. It's really miserable. I never had these problems EVER. I, too, am lowering my gi intake to control the blood sugar spikes. Exercise also helps. My potassium also falls, and I have HORRIFIC heart palps until my potassium supplement kicks in. I've had this before when my thyroid med thing went awry, and it eventually settles down.

XO

Hi, pinkslippers. Yes, I know all too well that anxiety after eating. It's really miserable. I never had these problems EVER. I, too, am lowering my gi intake to control the blood sugar spikes. Exercise also helps. My potassium also falls, and I have HORRIFIC heart palps until my potassium supplement kicks in. I've had this before when my thyroid med thing went awry, and it eventually settles down.

XO

How do you know if your potassium drops?? I am curious if this is an issue for me.

Simply anecdotally. I know my adrenals are stressed to the hilt and that alderosterone is an adrenal hormone that controls the balance of potassium and sodium. When it's high, as when you're stressed, your potassium goes low. My heart POUNDS, my face feels puffy and hot, I feel hot, and I feel extremely unwell and weak. I take potassium and the symptoms abate. When I am less stressed, I don't get these potassium drops as often. My system is very stressed right now because I tried to take thyroid meds without enough ferritin iron and the T3 in the meds pooled in my blood and wreaked havoc. VERY unpleasant.

XO

Hi Cakes, thank you for your reply :)  good tip about the potassium, I will look into the possibility that my potassium may be too low.  Ii'm finding the last few days I've had fewer episodes after eating, I hope it continues. God it's just criminal that you were given fluoxetine for PMS...I was given Prozac for mild exhaustion after the birth of my daughter, which my doc convinced me ( and I convinced myself) was postnatal depression.  NOW i know it wasn't depression.  

Hugs

About 20 years on SSRIs and SNRIs since 1995. Was diagnosed with 'Post Natal Depression' after suffering from extreme fatigue. I was not depressed or anxious.

Tried about 5 times to stop due to intolerable side effects (uncontrollable rage, impulsivity, detached emotions, memory loss, slow reactions and lowered intellectual ability) but unable to due to extreme withdrawal symptoms. 

Tried to withdraw form Effexor again 2010 but aborted due to the death of my father  and withdrawal symptoms unbearable with grief.

Jan 2017 Have been tapering over ONE YEAR from Pristiq and have now completely stopped for 7 weeks. Experiencing severe waves of melancholia and anxiety.

Simply anecdotally. I know my adrenals are stressed to the hilt and that alderosterone is an adrenal hormone that controls the balance of potassium and sodium. When it's high, as when you're stressed, your potassium goes low. My heart POUNDS, my face feels puffy and hot, I feel hot, and I feel extremely unwell and weak. I take potassium and the symptoms abate. When I am less stressed, I don't get these potassium drops as often. My system is very stressed right now because I tried to take thyroid meds without enough ferritin iron and the T3 in the meds pooled in my blood and wreaked havoc. VERY unpleasant.

When I was suffering from adrenal fatigue, I came across people using himalayan salts for their conditions. At the time, I put it on the back burner and with recent research due to your post I realize it has potassium in it. Maybe you can give this a try.

Hi, toots and pink -

Salt makes me a 100 times worse -- drives down potassium. I think that's helpful for LOW adrenal hormones. Mine are HIGH.

Pink - one of the topics I've had to cover many times in therapy is getting over my anger about taking fluox for PMS. Sometimes I indulge in the fantasy of what my life would be like today had I never saw that doctor or had that conversation or filled that script or swallowed that first pill (which I still remember to this day). Note that I had NO IDEA Sarafem was Prozac or an SSRI. I've come far from being enraged at what happened to me (you're not far off with "criminal") to acceptance. This is part of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): modulating thoughts so they don't engulf us and get us depressed.

Hi, toots and pink -

Salt makes me a 100 times worse -- drives down potassium. I think that's helpful for LOW adrenal hormones. Mine are HIGH.

Pink - one of the topics I've had to cover many times in therapy is getting over my anger about taking fluox for PMS. Sometimes I indulge in the fantasy of what my life would be like today had I never saw that doctor or had that conversation or filled that script or swallowed that first pill (which I still remember to this day). Note that I had NO IDEA Sarafem was Prozac or an SSRI. I've come far from being enraged at what happened to me (you're not far off with "criminal") to acceptance. This is part of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): modulating thoughts so they don't engulf us and get us depressed.

Oh sorry I did mean the Himalayan salts which are higher in Potassium and lower in salt content compared to other salts.  Are you sensitive to sea salt too?

Also do you find therapy helpful? I'm debating regular talk therapy or CBT.

Hi, toots and pink -

Hi, toots and pink -

Hi Cakes,

Ah yes I've been having those 'if only' fantasies and I know it's not good.

I certainly haven't come very far at accepting things yet and I think that I probably need CBT or something to help me. I've only recently started to believe in myself and my gut instinct about these drugs and that perhaps the doctor wasn't right. I try to think that she meant well, as many doctors do, and in those days they simply didn't know about the long reaching consequences. I actually blame myself more than anyone for being so eager to accept the diagnosis and for not questioning what I was taking. I felt happy that I had pill to take away my exhaustion.

Hi, toots and pink -

Oh sorry I did mean the Himalayan salts which are higher in Potassium and lower in salt content compared to other salts. Are you sensitive to sea salt too?

Also do you find therapy helpful? I'm debating regular talk therapy or CBT.

Oh boy I thought I would give Himalayan salts a try tonight and let's just say NOT A GOOD IDEA. Heart palps and a headache. Now I'm not sure how to recover from this. Eat a lot of bananas??

Pink - My distrust of doctors is now pretty massive. I research EVERYTHING...I put all my anxious withdrawal shenanigans to good use that way I suppose: I obsessively research everything, everything. I know more about thyroid and nutrition and depression than most doctors I've seen. Most doctors are just educated on DRUGS and they live cushy lives because they hand them out like Pez candy. I blame them...and I despise them...and then I feel like some just don't know any better.................I don't think they set out to hurt people, but we are an overdrugged society. 

Toots -  you can, yes, eat bananas and avocados or salt them with something called NuSalt. Avoid salt for a bit. Your symptoms will ease up. Also, a question: what was your benzo dose, how long did you take them, and what are your withdrawal symptoms from them?

Yes me too, I'm researching and reading so much that many docs I see now seem so ignorant and get very defensive and try to mock me in a nasty way if I try to tell them about stuff I've read.

F***k it's pretty disgusting.

I've gone from being to so trusting (I'm a GP's daughter) to completely disillusioned.

One thing my dad (who passed away 6 years ago) always said was, you must believe the symptoms of the patient, because it is their reality and their experience no matter what the medical profession may say. But I feel that most doctors don't believe me when I tell them my symptoms. They brush me off as "neurotic' or having some kind of personality disorder.