SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Borealice: Never thought I'd be back here but here I am Zoloft, withdrawal symptoms from 5mg

Borealice

Hi Ginger,

I was very encouraged by your experience with paxil recovery I saw on one of the threads. 

In January of this year I quit paxil cold turkey. I had been taking it for 24 months, the majority of it at 60 mg. I went through about a good two months of physical withdrawal symptoms. I thought I was in the clear after this but then I was hit by an episode of acute psychosis where I felt I was being stalked by someone. This went away and moved onto a fear of sollipsism "That the world is not real". 

I was originally taking the paxil for OCD.

Now I worry that I have somehow permanently done something to my brain by going cold turkey. or that I have already lost my mind. Can you give me a little bit more detail about your experience or some advice to help me. I had to reinstate zoloft and also take ativan.

Ginger's topic:  Ginger: how I got here
Edited by ChessieCat
Added link to Ginger's topic and added generic drug

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

May 2016 Zoloft 125 mg,, tapered until

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

March 2018 12.5 mg Zoloft 

(Withdrawal)

june 16, 2018 reinstated 25 mg Zoloft

(still withdrawal)*June 2018-Nov 2021 60 mg zoloft *nov 2021-nov 2023tapered down to 5 mg zoloft, accidentally stopped ct at 5mg *dec2023-withdrawal started 

dec 2023-reinstated 5 mg Zoloft 

feb 2024-stopped Zoloft started 20mg Prozac 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Borealice and welcome to SA,

It will be helpful if you would Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Include details for the last 12-18 months and a summary of anything before that.  Please include ALL drugs, dates, doses and how you decreased/increased (eg did you skip days, alternate doses, cold turkey).  Having this information will allow us to make suggestions based on your individual situation.  Please remember to update your signature whenever you make a change so your history remains current.  Thank you.

Once we have this information we will be able to offer suggestions.

I am going to give you some links to helpful information.  Please check these out and then you can ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic.  You can also journal your tapering/withdrawal journey here.  Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Borealice - no, it is not permanent.  It might take a long time, but it is not permanent.

Be patient with yourself, and find things which help you to feel better.

Avoid things which make you feel worse.

It sounds trite - I know - but sometimes we, as humans, trudge into horror movies (or heavy metal concerts) thinking "it will be fun" and we come away from it with our nerves rattled to the very core.  Or - we push ourselves to the limit at work or in exercise, thinking it is "good for us."  Especially in withdrawal, we become extremely sensitive - and many of us were put on the drugs in the first place because we were too sensitive for our situation..  

It sounds trite to recommend patting kittens and puppies, gentle walks in the sunshine (or wearing dark glasses if you are light sensitive) - taking time off work (if you can), forest bathing, acupuncture, massage, soft, soothing music, and children's shows on the TV.

But these are soothing to the nervous system, and right now, that is what your system needs.  Until we see your signature, we cannot recommend reinstatement - if what I understand is correct, you are not a good candidate for reinstatement.

Many of us have been helped by Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil

Welcome to SA!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

May I ask why Borealice would not be a good canidade for reinstatement.

I have been on antidepressants since 2005. Zoloft, Lexapro, cymbalta and then the most evil of them all, Paxil. 60 mg two was and 40mgs the other two. I stopped at a very fast taper within a few months. About 4 wks later the physical symptoms started, now the mental are beginning to take hold as well.

2005 Zoloft 100mg

Switched to Lexapro with no lapse, can't not remember dose

Switched to cymbalta with no lapse 120 mg

Oct 2014 switched to Paxil no lapse 40 mg a day 2 wks of the month, 60mg the other 2

Stopped in Feb 2016 after very short tapper of approx 1 1/2 months.

Aug 26, 2016 - Reinstated Paxil 1mg dose

• Moderator Emeritus

"Until we see your signature, we cannot recommend reinstatement - if what I understand is correct, you are not a good candidate for reinstatement."

Firstly, we need more details of Borealice's drug history.  At the moment we can only go by what information has been posted.

There is information in this topic About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms where is states:

• Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of withdrawal symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.
  • The length of this window of opportunity varies according to the individual. Sometimes people can reinstate successfully months after quitting. Others cannot.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I'm in kind of an odd space. In may of 2018 I did a too fast taper of zoloft that I had been taking for two years. The doctor basically said take 12.5 for three weeks and then just stop taking them. I was on 25 mg for the last few months before tapering. I don't know how I could've been so stupid to fall for the doctor's words again. It was my selfishness and desire to be off all drugs as soon as possible. I have a previous hellish experience with CT off of 60mg of Paxil. I nearly died. I was psychotic and had suicidal ideation. Somehow I recovered. I was fine for around 2.5 months after stopping zoloft and then bam, my brain went into massive confusion while I was at work. I couldn't think straight, I didn't know where a thought started and where it ended. I raced out of work and went straight home. My status progressively got worse over the next week, my mind began doubting every decision i made. I would have a thought and then I would question that thought. When I said hello to someone, I would ask myself why I should be saying hello to that person. It has been all very bizarre. I feel like my mind has detached from my thoughts and I am watching my thoughts whiz by. It's depersonalization but in the sense of the mind, not how I see some people describe as hovering over themselves and watching their bodies do stuff. I think maybe my body is trying to protect myself from the stress of withdrawal so it disassociated itself? It all became very scary because thoughts that used to be automatic, I felt like I was observing every thought. I felt trapped in my mind, and the realization of my thoughts not being my own and questioning my thoughts made me feel like a robot. I feel convinced that I have already lost my mind, although I feel quite lucid writing this. I don't have the physical withdrawal symptoms that were so bad with paxil. This withdrawal seems much different from paxil, like its affecting different parts of my brain. I was doing ok on zoloft, when I barely survived the paxil withdrawal. Maybe that was my one shot and I shot myself in the foot again. And I have no more chances.

I had to reinstate 25 mg of zoloft in order to keep going to work. The reinstatement was around 2.5 months after stopping. This was before i read about reinstatement on this site, and that a low dosage is recommended. I have been taking 25 mg for a month now. I worry I did damage by introducing such a high dose. Some symptoms did get better. Before, I didn't know when to leave a department store because I was doubting every decision I made. Why do I open the car door? What made me decide to come to this store? How do I know when to leave this coffee shop? Just very very crippling neurotic. 

Some symptoms got better, but some are still there. I don't know where my thoughts are coming from. I'm scared of being alone with my thoughts, I examine every thought. And I have an apathy I didn't have with paxil withdrwal. On paxil withdrwal I was so scared and worried about my life and future. But now, its like I don't even care. I really feel like I've lost my mind. My family is losing their morale, understandably as I put them through so much pain during paxil, they don't want to go through this again. I know I'm supposed to get better, but  i feel completely devoid of any care. 

Do I stay on the 25mg zoloft? My family wants to keep me there, if I say otherwise they'll really give up on me. I know I have to decide for myself, but I can't even think straight. I force myself to sleep everyday because I don;t want to think and doubt all my thoughts. Please tell me that you're going through something similar, and I'll be ok. 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

(still withdrawal)*June 2018-Nov 2021 60 mg zoloft *nov 2021-nov 2023tapered down to 5 mg zoloft, accidentally stopped ct at 5mg *dec2023-withdrawal started 

I'm sorry I meant to say March 2018, not may. Also I feel as if I'm observing my body do decision making, speaking, social cues, etc, I'm observing everything like with a second mind. 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

I'm sorry one thing to add, It's almost like my mind./brain took to zoloft aggressively because I used it to ease the paxil withdrwal. It's almost like my mind didn't know how to think without the zoloft, In a sense I did lose my mind and I have a front row seat watching my brain readjust itself to withdrwal and also zoloft reinstatement again? I hope I'm not dissassociated forever, God can give me only what Ican hadnle right? 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

Welcome to the forum.  The disassociated feelings will not last forever.  You will stabilize and will feel better.  I'm not sure what to say about the dose, but be assured things will get better. 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Hi Borealice

thank you for posting.  i read your first post and could definitely relate to lots of it (i stopped zoloft in 2014) and then i kept reading your other posts and said, "oh no, someone feels about as lost as me."  i have the observing myself thing too, to the point where my life doens't feel terribly natural anymore.  and also the lucid writing thing as i progress in wd, which although nice and competent, makes me feel like my personality is going away.  i also question myself incessantly sometimes and have terrible problems with making decisions.  some days i will become frozen in the grocery store trying to decide between two different menu ideas.  i will sit and stare at the shelves wondering if i should make chili or meatloaf, or something to that effect, for a minute or two basically stuck in time until i even forget what the two options were.  it usually takes someone coming down the aisle where i am stuck to startle me and get me to make a choice.  it wasn't always that bad earlier on in wd, but as i progress and feel less sure of myself, it has gotten a little worse.

i am ok in social interactions, i am personable and funny and get along fine (its mostly just cashiers and people around my apartment) , but then i get back to my apartment and wonder if i am alive even.  

i have been doing this for four years now.  i feel like i have lost the ability to daydream or become lost in thought or to be contemplative at all and now am watching myself act in social situations.   part of it is that my sleep has been so bad that it has compromised my health and so i constantly have to  be aware about getting back to my apartment to lick my wounds and look online for possible solutions to my sleep and digestive problems that have taken off after quitting the meds.  my stomach feel almost dead at this point, i have no sense of hunger anymore, which i am sure is contributing to my not feeling terribly alive anymore.      anyways, i don't want to go on for too long here, but i did want to say "hi" and that i am going through the same thing.  

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Hi, glad you found the site. Just wanted to say that this is totally normal after stopping so quickly, especially at that grim 3 month mark that many seem to hit. I, too, had (have during a wave) this complete neurosis overload. It's funny, because prior to reducing meds I did a LOT of meditation where I was able to be in that state of observing and it would be blissful. In that state of withdrawal, it's more or less the same thing, but feels horrendously painful. What it's taught me, from looking deeply into the mind when I'm in a relaxed enough space to do so, is that our minds hold these two potentialities all the time - good and evil, heaven and hell, samsara and nirvana etc. Withdrawal is like seeing the shadow side of that coin - the darkest place our mind can go. And, while it's traumatic, it DOES change. Everything changes. It's your mind showing you what it's capable of, but that doesn't mean it will be your reality forever. In fact, it's almost impossible that it can be.

Of course, it does not feel this way when you're in the middle of it. But trust the little part of you that's listening when I say, you will come out of even the weirdest and darkest corners of your mind. It will adapt and it will heal, because that's what it is designed to do. All we need to do is try and get out of our own way as much as possible for it to happen over time.

In terms of your dosage, I obviously can't advise beyond my own experiences. But I think it's important first and foremost that you stabilize. Your nervous system has taken a whack from the episode at 2.5 months and will need time to rebalance. My instinct would be to hold for several months, as long as the side effects are tolerable, and then consider reducing at the super slow taper rate. But again, have a look at the resources on this site and listen to what your body needs as and when. The key is, super, super slow. Nothing drastic to trigger the nervous system.

I had an 'episode' in May that I genuinely thought would be the end of me. I have never experienced a horror like it, and I won't even begin to try and explain what was happening in my head. But the point is, I'm not there anymore. I am on 5mg of Prozac and holding for several months, but during that week of hell I really thought I was psychologically broken for good. Yet in the past two months I've had some really great, some not so great, a couple of awful, and a few amazing moments. You're certainly not alone and you will get through this with time, patience and being as kind to yourself as possible.

All the best, and keep us updated x

2008-2013 - Various meds on and off since age 18 incl. Sertraline, Prozac, Mirtazipine, Abilify. Prescribed for severe OCD.

CT'd several times over these years and reinstated after subsequent psych hospitalisations.

2014-2015 - Clomipramine, quetiapine and Epilum

2015-Jan 2017 - Prozac 40mg (stopped contraceptive pill, most stable period of time)

(Beginning of taper) Jan-October 2017 - Tapered Prozac to zero.

15 Jan 2018 - Reinstated Prozac at 2mg due to acute w/d symptoms

February 2018 - tapered to 1.8mg

May 2018 - reinstated at 5mg due to severe w/d symptoms. 9 month hold, stabilized well at around 6/7 months.

March 2019 - Tapered to 4.9mg

Current supplements: fish oils, probiotic, ashwaganda, colostrum powder, cannabis

i have also had nightmares since quitting zoloft where i lose my mind in the dream which are really terrible.  since 2014 it's mostly been nightmares of being arrested, or getting into fights or worse when i dream at night.  

i am also dealing with horrible candida problems and had read on a health forum of a younger guy who, like myself, was  dealing with a massive  internal yeast problem and he had likened it to feeling like his personality was almost taken over as the yeast issue went unchecked.  he somehow was able to cure his candida and got better, but had said it was pretty harrowing.   of course, i have no idea where his post or that forum is now, but he had closely described how i have been feeling for 2 years now.  

anyways.

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• Altostrata changed the title to Borealice Zoloft Withdrawal
  • Administrator

Hello, Borealice. I merged your new topic with your old one from 2016. It's too bad you didn't come back here when you started taking Zoloft.

17 hours ago, Borealice said:

I had to reinstate 25 mg of zoloft in order to keep going to work. The reinstatement was around 2.5 months after stopping. This was before i read about reinstatement on this site, and that a low dosage is recommended. I have been taking 25 mg for a month now. I worry I did damage by introducing such a high dose. Some symptoms did get better. Before, I didn't know when to leave a department store because I was doubting every decision I made. Why do I open the car door? What made me decide to come to this store? How do I know when to leave this coffee shop? Just very very crippling neurotic. 

Some symptoms got better, but some are still there. I don't know where my thoughts are coming from. I'm scared of being alone with my thoughts, I examine every thought. And I have an apathy I didn't have with paxil withdrwal. On paxil withdrwal I was so scared and worried about my life and future. But now, its like I don't even care. I really feel like I've lost my mind. My family is losing their morale, understandably as I put them through so much pain during paxil, they don't want to go through this again. I know I'm supposed to get better, but  i feel completely devoid of any care. 

It sounds like you got severe acute withdrawal symptoms when you went off Paxil and post-acute withdrawal syndrome that was reduced when you took Zoloft, another SSRI.

We have seen that once a person has a history of withdrawal syndrome or adverse reactions or going on and off psychiatric drugs, their nervous system becomes sensitized to other drugs and sometimes supplements and foods, too. Going off other psychiatric drugs is more difficult.

We can assume your nervous system is sensitized. Emotional anesthesia is a common result of taking psychiatric and can persist after you go off them. It also sounds like you might have a degree of depersonalization, another common withdrawal symptom.

As your nervous system stabilizes on 25mg Zoloft, these feelings should fade -- though, emotional anesthesia being a common side effect, that may persist. Please see

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

and other topics listed in Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems particularly

Disconnect between interest and action/motivation

Anhedonia, apathy, demotivation, emotional numbness 

Derealization or Depersonalization

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Are you seeing a therapist or counselor? Perhaps it might be best to discuss your worries with that person instead of your family.

Do you suffer from health anxiety ordinarily?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

6 hours ago, PoetJester said:

Hi Borealice

thank you for posting.  i read your first post and could definitely relate to lots of it (i stopped zoloft in 2014) and then i kept reading your other posts and said, "oh no, someone feels about as lost as me."  i have the observing myself thing too, to the point where my life doens't feel terribly natural anymore.  and also the lucid writing thing as i progress in wd, which although nice and competent, makes me feel like my personality is going away.  i also question myself incessantly sometimes and have terrible problems with making decisions.  some days i will become frozen in the grocery store trying to decide between two different menu ideas.  i will sit and stare at the shelves wondering if i should make chili or meatloaf, or something to that effect, for a minute or two basically stuck in time until i even forget what the two options were.  it usually takes someone coming down the aisle where i am stuck to startle me and get me to make a choice.  it wasn't always that bad earlier on in wd, but as i progress and feel less sure of myself, it has gotten a little worse.

i am ok in social interactions, i am personable and funny and get along fine (its mostly just cashiers and people around my apartment) , but then i get back to my apartment and wonder if i am alive even.  

i have been doing this for four years now.  i feel like i have lost the ability to daydream or become lost in thought or to be contemplative at all and now am watching myself act in social situations.   part of it is that my sleep has been so bad that it has compromised my health and so i constantly have to  be aware about getting back to my apartment to lick my wounds and look online for possible solutions to my sleep and digestive problems that have taken off after quitting the meds.  my stomach feel almost dead at this point, i have no sense of hunger anymore, which i am sure is contributing to my not feeling terribly alive anymore.      anyways, i don't want to go on for too long here, but i did want to say "hi" and that i am going through the same thing.  

poetjester

Hi PoetJester

Thanks for replying. It means a lot. It's good to know I'm not alone. Praying for all of us. 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

6 hours ago, AbbyElfie said:

Hi, glad you found the site. Just wanted to say that this is totally normal after stopping so quickly, especially at that grim 3 month mark that many seem to hit. I, too, had (have during a wave) this complete neurosis overload. It's funny, because prior to reducing meds I did a LOT of meditation where I was able to be in that state of observing and it would be blissful. In that state of withdrawal, it's more or less the same thing, but feels horrendously painful. What it's taught me, from looking deeply into the mind when I'm in a relaxed enough space to do so, is that our minds hold these two potentialities all the time - good and evil, heaven and hell, samsara and nirvana etc. Withdrawal is like seeing the shadow side of that coin - the darkest place our mind can go. And, while it's traumatic, it DOES change. Everything changes. It's your mind showing you what it's capable of, but that doesn't mean it will be your reality forever. In fact, it's almost impossible that it can be.

Of course, it does not feel this way when you're in the middle of it. But trust the little part of you that's listening when I say, you will come out of even the weirdest and darkest corners of your mind. It will adapt and it will heal, because that's what it is designed to do. All we need to do is try and get out of our own way as much as possible for it to happen over time.

In terms of your dosage, I obviously can't advise beyond my own experiences. But I think it's important first and foremost that you stabilize. Your nervous system has taken a whack from the episode at 2.5 months and will need time to rebalance. My instinct would be to hold for several months, as long as the side effects are tolerable, and then consider reducing at the super slow taper rate. But again, have a look at the resources on this site and listen to what your body needs as and when. The key is, super, super slow. Nothing drastic to trigger the nervous system.

I had an 'episode' in May that I genuinely thought would be the end of me. I have never experienced a horror like it, and I won't even begin to try and explain what was happening in my head. But the point is, I'm not there anymore. I am on 5mg of Prozac and holding for several months, but during that week of hell I really thought I was psychologically broken for good. Yet in the past two months I've had some really great, some not so great, a couple of awful, and a few amazing moments. You're certainly not alone and you will get through this with time, patience and being as kind to yourself as possible.

All the best, and keep us updated x

Hi AbbyElfie,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. It can be really hard to think I can even get better, I feel so "in my mind". But I'll try pushing through. Will do my best to keep everything updated!

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, Borealice. I merged your new topic with your old one from 2016. It's too bad you didn't come back here when you started taking Zoloft.

It sounds like you got severe acute withdrawal symptoms when you went off Paxil and post-acute withdrawal syndrome that was reduced when you took Zoloft, another SSRI.

We have seen that once a person has a history of withdrawal syndrome or adverse reactions or going on and off psychiatric drugs, their nervous system becomes sensitized to other drugs and sometimes supplements and foods, too. Going off other psychiatric drugs is more difficult.

We can assume your nervous system is sensitized. Emotional anesthesia is a common result of taking psychiatric and can persist after you go off them. It also sounds like you might have a degree of depersonalization, another common withdrawal symptom.

As your nervous system stabilizes on 25mg Zoloft, these feelings should fade -- though, emotional anesthesia being a common side effect, that may persist. Please see

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

and other topics listed in Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems particularly

Disconnect between interest and action/motivation

Anhedonia, apathy, demotivation, emotional numbness 

Derealization or Depersonalization

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Are you seeing a therapist or counselor? Perhaps it might be best to discuss your worries with that person instead of your family.

Do you suffer from health anxiety ordinarily?

Hi Altostrata,

I too wish I was on here before I shot myself in the foot a second time. Thank you for the resources. I plan on staying 25mg of zoloft until I stabilize. I was worried something happened I introduced such a high dose after my body getting used to none for three months. I will try these suggestions, thank you. I am in the process of looking for a therapist, its very hard though since my insurance coverage changed. I have OCD which can make me a little paranoid about health related things but I don't specifically suffer from health anxiety. 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

Hey all,

Just thought I'd check in. I've been reading the website nearly all day when I've had time. What could have been the potential damage I did in reinstatement after my nervous system was already compromised? It's been exactly a month since I reinstated 25mg of Zoloft after being off of it for 2.5 months (after a too fast taper) . How long will it take to stabilize. I do feel better in some aspects, but far from healed. If this is how it's going to be, I can't handle it. I still feel detached from my thoughts. I almost wish the symptoms were like "bam" so I knew I was in withdrawal. This is like some weird limbo that is manageable but at the same time so painful. It's a very scary process to know that everything you thought you had control of, was all your brain. Don't even know if I'm making any sense.  Anyways, hanging in there

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

On 7/14/2018 at 7:51 PM, Madeleine said:

Welcome to the forum.  The disassociated feelings will not last forever.  You will stabilize and will feel better.  I'm not sure what to say about the dose, but be assured things will get better. 

Thanks madeleine ❤️

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

I can't take it. I'm at work. It's break time. And i want to cry. Writing this is my car. I wanted to call my mom, but I don't want to bother my parents anymore. I'm functioning but as I've seen someone else on the site write, "on survival mode settings" "on habit". I had nowhere else to turn so I'm writing here. How can a person change so much in one month. I feel crazy like I need to be locked up, but if someone asked me if I was crazy I don't think anyone would believe me. Because I am fine I guess. But I'm not. I can't take this. 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

• Administrator

Please try to stay calm, Borealice. We know how hard withdrawal symptoms can be.

What is your current daily symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Are you having waves of symptoms? That may go on for a while, with waves becoming less frequent. See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization 

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there Borealice.  You are not alone. Unfortunately time is usually the only answer.  Try to focus on the stories on here of people who have made it through rough patches.  As a parent, I would always want to hear from my child if there were ever in need.  Sometimes just hearing their voice and knowing they love you can help.  Peace to you!

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

Hi. 

Thank you for your responses. I've been doing as recommended alto. I've been keeping track all day of symptoms, I will try to post on here when I have the full day. I feel like there are some window/wave patterns but it's hard to tell. This is such an odd feeling. I feel like I'm in windows safe mode. I recall a few days after withdrawal starting, my brain shutting down something while watching Jurassic park. It felt like a shower in my brain. I don't know what to do. If this is as good as it's gonna get do I just grit through and create new thinking patterns, or is myself going to return and I just have to wait. When I write I feel like I don't make sense at all. I feel like something is profoundly missing or wrong.  I want to yell. Can you believe this: I actually miss my Paxil withdrawal. This Zoloft withdrawal is so much more psychologically tormenting.  The more I vent to people, the more I become "sicker". And I don't even know what is going on. It's like I have a new brain because "the trellis has been ripped out". Help....

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

Borealice, 

I have read your thread and have to say I'm sorry to hear what you're experiencing. 😔💜

Have you messaged ppl on FB regarding their Zoloft withdrawals? Joining an active support group with others that have similar experiences, might be beneficial to being able to talk thru the waves and provide temporary relief, when no other techniques will. Or when you're feeling desperate, sitting in your car... 😢

I don't mean to scare you with this, but my pdoc is actually stuck on Zoloft. She can't even taper by 3%, as it sends her into discontinuation syndrome with withdrawals and she becomes a non functioning, ditz. Oye vey!

She said she was really badly suffering from effects, she was stuttering and her thoughts were racing and sometimes they just stopped. She was really forgetful and twitchy. She said she had to go back onto the Zoloft at the lowest dose and it took her almost 2 years to normalize back to the point where she could function without issues. She's still pretty forgetful about some things, but for the most part can retain critical info.

But, that's not to say you're going to end up in her situation. 

I hope that you can somehow try to stabilize at this Zoloft dose. Then use a compounding pharmacy to decrease really slowly, at about 5%, every 3-4 weeks. Only a handful of pdocs are knowledgeable about correctly tapering and the effects of these drugs! I was lucky enough to find a pdoc that fits in that category. She'll advocate for me to receive financial compensation, but further than that, there's not much else she can assist me with. 

I found this link in my travels, maybe you could contact à benzo wise doctor close to you, maybe they'll be knowledgeable about antidepressant withdrawal and tapering and be able to assist you? Idk, it's worth trying to find someone to help you, or advocate for you in other ways, incase things go south! It's always a great idea to have backup plan in tow. http://www.benzosupport.org/benzo_wise_doctors.htm 

You might also find the website informative. http://www.drugawareness.org/ 

I know of a really great kundalini chant on YouTube for reducing stress and anxiety if you require that. 

If you need any more assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regardless what happens, just know that you're doing the best that you can. And hopefully one day, this will all be a distant memory. ❤️🙏

Xo Plshelp

Dec 2016 Risperidone 1 mg, Seroquel 25mg, Latuda 40mg 

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Mar - Apr 2017 Aripiprazole (abilify) 10 mg

Apr 2017 - July 2017 Olanzapine (zyprexa) 5 mg tapered to 0mg

Oct 2017 - Present Effexor 37.5mg and Prozac 10mg 

On 7/20/2018 at 3:23 AM, Altostrata said:

Please try to stay calm, Borealice. We know how hard withdrawal symptoms can be.

What is your current daily symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Are you having waves of symptoms? That may go on for a while, with waves becoming less frequent. See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization 

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

In a different state for wedding. Feeling horrible, like I should jump in front of a moving car. It's been a little over month since I reinstated 25 mg of Zoloft after being off for 2.5 months (off of 25mg). Not getting better. Took an Ativan to calm down. Helping a little. Parents want to put me on 50 mg Zoloft starting today because they think I lack serotonin. To be honest I don't even know what's happening with me. I don't know who I am. Im using a brain to think when I don't even know whose brain it is. I have lost my mind. I was never even on benzos apart from Ativan once in a while when desperate (taken probably 10, 1 mg tablets) in my lifetime. Part of me wants to ct the Zoloft but I'm always doing things that I regret. I'm on the road to suicide at this rate. I keep bringing up the story of this pastors son who committed suicide. His parents tried everything. He had borderline personality disorder. I feel like I'm going to become like him. I feel like I need to be dropped in a foreign country where I know no one or maybe even the language so I can just survive and then maybe I would heal. Or join a monastery. If I'm with my comforts the illness just exacerbates. I've only taken Paxil, Zoloft, my whole life. What happened. My mom gave me good advice saying it's all in my head. So I tried going through the day, just really letting myself be, not forcing anything. Just letting my brain do its thing. Something is not right....do I start 50 mg starting today? I'm gonna start having to take Ativan to survive.

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

Or maybe moving to a different country won't help. I'll just end of homeless mentally ill person that's in every country. Or commit suicide in a different country. 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

Want to take another ativan right now....

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

I graduated from a top tier uc school in three years, cum laude. Have traveled to many countries. Have consistently worked for three years....

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

• Administrator

Borealice, we see this type of pattern all the time. If you can find this reassuring, your situation is "normal" for withdrawal syndrome and adverse effects of psychiatric drugs. We have seen many people who have gotten past this, but it can take time and patience -- one foot in front of the other, keep walking.

How often do you take Ativan, and at what dosage? Please start keeping notes immediately. You can put them in your calendar if that's convenient.

What time of day do you take Zoloft? How do you feel before you take it, and how do you feel after you take it? What is your sleep pattern?

It is possible 25mg Zoloft is too much for you. (You're not lacking serotonin, there's no such thing.)

On 7/21/2018 at 12:55 AM, Plshelp said:

I don't mean to scare you with this, but my pdoc is actually stuck on Zoloft. She can't even taper by 3%, as it sends her into discontinuation syndrome with withdrawals and she becomes a non functioning, ditz. Oye vey!

She said she was really badly suffering from effects, she was stuttering and her thoughts were racing and sometimes they just stopped. She was really forgetful and twitchy. She said she had to go back onto the Zoloft at the lowest dose and it took her almost 2 years to normalize back to the point where she could function without issues. She's still pretty forgetful about some things, but for the most part can retain critical info.

Very interesting, Plshelp. Is your psychiatrist interested in learning about tapering? Perhaps she should visit or join us.

20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Borealice, we see this type of pattern all the time. If you can find this reassuring, your situation is "normal" for withdrawal syndrome and adverse effects of psychiatric drugs. We have seen many people who have gotten past this, but it can take time and patience -- one foot in front of the other, keep walking.

How often do you take Ativan, and at what dosage? Please start keeping notes immediately. You can put them in your calendar if that's convenient.

What time of day do you take Zoloft? How do you feel before you take it, and how do you feel after you take it? What is your sleep pattern?

It is possible 25mg Zoloft is too much for you. (You're not lacking serotonin, there's no such thing.)

Very interesting, Plshelp. Is your psychiatrist interested in learning about tapering? Perhaps she should visit or join us.

I've only taken Ativan around ten times in my life. I've taken it three times in the last three months when I couldn't stand being in my head anymore. I take a 0.5 mg tablet. I took one 0.5 mg at 11 am yesterday. It took about 30 minutes for the Ativan to kick in. I felt calmer and like I was uninhibited (what it meant to do I suppose). I would say the effects lasted a good few hours (supposed to be 6 hrs but). I take 25 mg of Zoloft everyday at 2 pm for the past 1.5 months. There is a brief one minute period (at 1.55pm) before I take the Zoloft where I feel good. After I take the Zoloft I don't feel much different. I tried to observe yesterday, I do feel like my mood felt more up? (How ironic). Sorry I'm a mess, I can't really tell what's up or down. My mom says i seem fine and it's all in my head. You know how everyone has times in the day when they gaze off and are thinking about something or they take some time to contemplate alone. These concepts seem foreign to me and I don't remember what it used to be like. I'm ok when I'm talking with someone but how can I live my whole life distracting myself from myself. I never used to think that when I was "thinking" it was my brain. I thought is was me thinking.  I used to be a very self-centered person, in tune with myself. A strong sense of who I am. I get really drowsy at 12 pm every single day without fail. I absolutely have to sleep. We're touring some places while we're on the road (just me and my mom) I've been sleeping while she drives. Just kind of following around. Don't want to be awake with this state of mind. I've been through Paxil withdrawal so I know what's it's like to have to put one foot in front of the other. But this time seems different, I feel damaged for good. Not to be so drastic, it's just how I'm feeling. Thank you for your expertise alto and for starting this site. Thank you for always responding to me. I hope I can get through this. And thank you for all the people who respond to me. I'm going to be selfish and ask and vent until I get better. Hopefully I can pay it forward on he future. 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

I've been watching people that recover from traumatic brain injury and getting shot in the head. But here I am thinking, their brain structures may have been damaged but their neurons were intact the whole time, so they still have a strong sense of self. They just have to learn how to speak, walk, etc. I'm horrible. It's my OCD and catastrophizing. 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Borealice said:

I get really drowsy at 12 pm every single day without fail. I absolutely have to sleep.

Do you mean midnight or noon?

Has your symptom pattern changed over the last month?

When you say you feel good just before taking Zoloft at 2 p.m., what do you mean?

Going on and off drugs and experiencing withdrawal and other adverse effects are wearing on the nervous system. This makes it hypersensitive to psychiatric drugs and even supplements and foods. Your nervous system is telling you it needs to be treated gently.

Just about everyone here is going through something similar, or worse. We generally see steady recovery. You will get through this.

You need to stop catastrophizing. Perhaps seeing a therapist or counselor would help? It might be best not to expect your family to fill this role, they become alarmed and want to solve your problem with more drugs. It's understandable, seeing how people have been trained to seek cures in a pill.

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Do you mean midnight or noon?

Has your symptom pattern changed over the last month?

When you say you feel good just before taking Zoloft at 2 p.m., what do you mean?

Going on and off drugs and experiencing withdrawal and other adverse effects are wearing on the nervous system. This makes it hypersensitive to psychiatric drugs and even supplements and foods. Your nervous system is telling you it needs to be treated gently.

Just about everyone here is going through something similar, or worse. We generally see steady recovery. You will get through this.

You need to stop catastrophizing. Perhaps seeing a therapist or counselor would help? It might be best not to expect your family to fill this role, they become alarmed and want to solve your problem with more drugs. It's understandable, seeing how people have been trained to seek cures in a pill.

Noon. I get drowsy at lunchtime 12 everyday. What I mean about the few minutes before (1.55) feeling good...sometimes I forgot that I have to take Zoloft because I'm feeling normal, so I'm like oh crap I forgot to take Zoloft. This normal feeling usually happens around 1-2 and peaks around 1:55. So some days I take Zoloft at 2:30 cuz my brain reminds me. I haven't ever skipped dosages though, only run a little late because I was feeling ok, and then it was like shoot, need to take it. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. It's a subtle feeling I get. 

My symptom pattern..yes things have changed. I couldn't make decisions at the beginning of the month, but that's gotten a little better after I reintroduced the Zoloft. I can make conversation easier. Don't have brain zaps (although they were infrequent to begin with). Physically I do feel a little better. Internally I still feel lost and horrible. So some things are happening, just not what I need to calm me down...I hate feeling like I've lost myself. 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

Maybe 25 mg is too much, I want to maybe eat like 20mg. Any advice on this alto? 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

• Administrator

After you take Zoloft at around 2, how does that okay feeling change?

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

The okay feeling goes away after I take Zoloft. I think it kind of just plateaus/numbs me out. 

Ok will do the notes on phone. Journal has been left at home 

2014-2015 Paxil

((withdrawal)

march 2018 25 mg zoloft

(Withdrawal)

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Borealice said:

Maybe 25 mg is too much, I want to maybe eat like 20mg. Any advice on this alto? 

Yes, my intuition is that 25mg might be too much, when it wears off, you feel better. When you get back home, you may wish to take 20mg instead.

To take a smaller amount of Zoloft, see Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)