SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hopelove: Tapering Wellbutrin

Hopelove

Hi all. Found this site a few months ago. I am beginning to attempt getting off ADs and Benzo. I have been taking antidepressants for 17 years. I am 44. I do not work outside the home.

My goal is to incorporate healthy activities (suggestions please) to help lessen the withdrawal symptoms. I am realistic about the amount of time it will take and hope everyone here can be a support system. I am married. Hubby is supportive, but doesn't really understand what is going with my body.

I have really bad health anxiety currently. I was diagnosed with bipolar about 5 years ago and was put on lamictal 200mg. Wellbutrin was added shortly after.

I tapered of Zoloft over about 18 months. I had my first anxiety attack exactly 2 weeks after the last dose. So we decided to stay in 25 mg. which held off the anxiety attacks since then.

About 8 months ago I started having increased anxiety along with some peri menopausal symptoms. Then the health anxiety followed, probably because of all the weird symptoms I was having. I went up to 50mg on the Zoloft and taking Ativan to help me sleep. I realized I was building a tolerance to it, so I weaned myself back off and was doing fine.

Then the cycle started again. New symptom (breast pain this time), then the health anxiety and back on Ativan. I only take .125mg at a time. If I don't feel much relief in about 30 minutes, I will take another one. That usually does it. Then I stop when I feel better.

However a couple of weeks ago, I noticed I was having muscle twitches and jerks. Don't google that!! Now looking back I think they may be related to stopping the Ativan after taking it for several days. I really don't know. So I decided today to take a dose to see if it settles down over the next few days and go from there.

3 days ago I started a taper on the Wellbutrin 150 mg xl. My doctor wrote prescription for 100mg sr tabs...and I started taking 75 in the morning and 50 in the afternoon. I am hoping this won't be too fast, but I am going to try it. I also started having stomach upset a couple of days ago with some diarrhea today. Very unusual for me. Is that possibly Ativan w/d?

Thank everyone. Not sure how to add signature. Attach a file maybe?

Edited by scallywag
highlight doses and dates, insert paragraph breaks, generic tags added

1999-Current Zoloft  Have taken as much as 250mg.  Tapered myself off several times and then had to reinstate at some dosage.  Tapered off 200mg over 18 months around 2011.  Started having panic attacks so went back on 25 mg.

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

2011-2020 Wellbutrin 150 mg-  finished taper April 2020

Current:

2011- Lamictal 200mg..Currently taking 150mg since April 6, 2020

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

Hi Hopelove,

I hope you find the support you need here.  I am not a mod but I am guessing that they would prefer that you do a 10% taper which would have cut only 15 mg. of the Wellbutrin, but maybe you'll be okay because it's your first cut and your dose is high right now (for you)

I took Ativan for about a year 15 years ago.  Looking back, I now know what was going on, but I didn't then.  I took it at night for sleep but almost by the clock at 3 pm every day I started having chest pain.  I went through a year of heart/stomach doctoring and tests.  When I stopped taking the Ativan that chest pain was gone.  I had developed a tolerance to Ativan very early on and had no idea.  So I would not think anything that happens is surprising.

I think the nausea and diarrhea are pretty normal with all AD's and withdrawal.  For me, whenever I don't sleep I feel like I have a hang-over, flu-like feeling the next day;  I am on a cocktail of drugs so it's hard to know which one is causing anything but since you are tapering Wellbutrin it is likely that.

I wish you luck.  I am glad you don't have to worry about working, but having a plan for distraction from symptoms is super important.

grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  • currently 2024 still on 98 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Hopelove -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry that you've been dealing with anxiety -- health and other sources -- and other symptoms. I'm sorry that you're here but glad that you found us before you have tapered your doses further.

Two requests:

• Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements -- in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. Diagnoses aren't needed and we'll ask about symptoms if we have questions.  Please put your withdrawal history in signature

• When a someone is taking multiple medications, we ask that that you post an interactions report. Follow the link below to get your report. Just select the text, copy it and paste it in a post here. Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

Gastrointestinal symptoms do occur when taking neuroactive drugs (psychiatric drugs) because the vast majority of neurotransmitter receptors and transporters are in your gut, not your brain!  For more about withdrawal symptoms:

What is withdrawal syndrome

One of our friendly and helpful members, savinggrace, has mentioned the tapering protocol that we suggest for coming off any psych drugs: make small dose reductions -- at most 10% of current dose -- no more often than once per month. It's a conservative starting point. Some people find they need to make smaller cuts or to hold a dose for longer than a month.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Also relevant:
Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin XR, SR, XL (bupropion)

Why are you taking the Wellbutrin in a split dose? The reason I ask is that the half-life is 21 hours (± 9 hours), so it's unlikely but not impossible that you'd have interdose withdrawal.

I've given you a fair number of links (topics to read) and some other homework. Have a look around, come back here to ask questions about your situation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Major

bupropion sertraline

Applies to: Wellbutrin SR (bupropion), Zoloft (sertraline)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with sertraline. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of sertraline, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

sertraline lamotrigine

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Using sertraline together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

1999-Current Zoloft  Have taken as much as 250mg.  Tapered myself off several times and then had to reinstate at some dosage.  Tapered off 200mg over 18 months around 2011.  Started having panic attacks so went back on 25 mg.

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

Hi. Thank you. I had read through the Wellbutrin tapering methods before I started. There is instructions near the bottom about tapering with 100mg sr tabs twice a day at 25mg or less decrease. So I am willing to give it a try. My first cut at 25. If it gets too rough then I will make it liquid form and decrease by smaller doses, which I am sure I will be doing eventually any way. I do plan to decrease by smaller amounts, but my biggest hurdle for now was to get the doc on board with me. I need to research how to do the liquid and decide if I want to or if I want to use a compounding pharmacy.

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopelove and welcome to SA,

"my biggest hurdle for now was to get the doc on board with me"

Here are a couple of links which might provide some tips for how to interact with medical professionals:

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

These helped me to understand SA's recommended slow taper with hold to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  They have also helped me to understand why we can get a variety of withdrawal symptoms and consequently not to stress over them unnecessarily.  They have also reminded me on several occasions since commencing my taper not to try and go faster or CT.  Throwing out the calendar, listening to your body and remaining as calm and patient as possible during this process are also helpful:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

What is Happening in Your Brain

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for the links. They are helpful!

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

So - hopelove, how is your first drop going?  It's been about a week.

Remember - if you get any symptoms, address them immediately - don't try to "tough it out."  You want this to go smoothly, not bumpily.  You are likely to get some symptoms, but if they show signs of escalating, that is an indicator that this might be too much for your first decrease.

How often do you take the ativan?  "As needed" is a dangerous dose, that can quickly escalate into tolerance and addiction.

Evidence based research shows that there is no good model for PRN dosing - that it only creates more instability later:

http://www.nationalelfservice.net/treatment/medicine/cochrane-find-no-evidence-for-as-required-prn-medication-for-mental-health-inpatients/

If you can do without it, consider taking no more than 4 doses per month, to avoid tolerance.  If you cannot do that, then you have likely built up tolerance, and you may need to take a small dose, daily, at the same time. 

You can get more information at our Members Only Benzo Forum:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-forum/

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks for the links. They were helpful. I recently switched from Wellbutrin xl to Wellbutrin sr. I am taking 75mg in am and 50mg PM.

I have read elsewhere that the sr usually retains its sustained release. There are some that argue against that. Either way, it seems to work for some. I have been crying a lot this week and I wonder if because I am cutting the 100mg tab, the 25 of the 75 is cut on both sides and is possibly acing more like an IR. Maybe instead of taking 50 in the afternoon I should split it into 2-25 mgs. Dosing 3 times instead of 2. In other words. Do 75 in the am, 25 at lunch and 25 in the evening. I hope that makes sense. Any thoughts?

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

Thank you. I agree with you on the Ativan. I was first prescribed it sometime in 2011. That was after my last dose of Zoloft and I had the first panic attack, ever. After I was put back on 25 mg of Zoloft, I would only need to take one 2-3 times a year. So, I never had a problem. Around the end of 2015, I started experiencing a lot of health anxiety, which I now think is related to Perimenopause. It was really bad at night and I began taking the Ativan and quickly built up a tolerance. When I realized it, probably about 6 weeks into it, even though I was enjoying the good sleep, I tapered myself all the way back off. I had been doing fine until the health anxiety began again. I still only took a few doses of 0.125mg this month, but even that was probably too much. I began having muscle twitches in my legs about 3 weeks ago. I didn't know what was going in and still don't, so I have been trying to figure out if it's hormonal ( there are other women who have had this too) Or if it was the Ativan. So I am taking magnesium and doing some Epsom salt baths, which I think calms it a bit. It is really a scary symptom. I did have about a week of relief from the twitches, but I couldn't remember if I was taking Ativan that week or not. That is why I am still trying to figure it out. I think if I don't get some relief from them soon, I may take .25mg and see if they go away. Even though I don't want to, but that may be the only way to determine if it is withdrawal from the Ativan or not. If it correlates, then I will start the steady tapering again. Thanks for all your help. I need to update my sig for the sr.

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

Feeling better today. I realize the twitching is probably from Ativan withdrawal.

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

For when you want to make your own liquid: Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you scallywag! I will be needing that

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am currently taking Wellbutrin 125mg SR (75 AM and 50 PM) fixing to make my next decrease. Since I am currently using the SR tablets, I was wondering if I should cut 12.5mg out of a 25mg quarter pill. Or just go ahead and drop another 25mg, since my first drop on August 17 has been relatively uneventful. Should I take the decrease out of the AM dose or the PM dose? Thanks for the help

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi hopelove

I merged your new topic into your Intro/Update topic because it is about your own situation and it is better to keep your history in one place.

Here is the link for:

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi I am currently taking Wellbutrin 125mg SR (75 AM and 50 PM) fixing to make my next decrease. Since I am currently using the SR tablets, I was wondering if I should cut 12.5mg out of a 25mg quarter pill. Or just go ahead and drop another 25mg, since my first drop on August 17 has been relatively uneventful. Should I take the decrease out of the AM dose or the PM dose? Thanks for the help

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hopelove, your first cut was a good bit more than 10% and that was just 2 1/2 weeks ago, nowhere near long enough given the size of your cut, about 17%.  You need to give that a solid four weeks. In fact, I'd say six weeks to give your system enough time to deal with that cut.  I know it is hard to be patient since you are new to tapering and likely excited and impatient to be off this stuff.  This forum is full of people who rushed the beginning, crashed, burned and then we had to pick up the pieces and try to help them with up-dosing, and LONG holds pursuing stabilization.  Please don't be another one of those!

It is much better to start off conservatively with 10% cuts every four weeks for a couple of cuts, see how solid you are with that. IF you have no mentionable symptoms after a couple of rounds of that, then you could either increase the size of the cut SLIGHTLY  (15% to start) OR cut 10% every three weeks.  Some folks are able to get away with that, but you don't want to start that way and crash.  

You mentioned crying a lot in conjunction with switching the version of Wellbutrin you are taking.  It could be that it is absorbing differently.  It is hard on the system, sometimes, to switch between forms of the med even without changing the dosage.  It can trigger withdrawal symptoms in and of itself, so all the more reason to take this slower until you have your taper method figured out.

You will need some way to get more accurate with your dosages, but you already have the info on tapering Wellbutrin so I know you are still sorting out which way to go.  If you were to switch to a liquid version, it would be best to NOT cut at the same time.  Some people have such strong reactions to a direct switch that they have to stabilize on dry again and then do a gradual cross over from dry to liquid. I had to do that with mirtazapine.  If you aren't going to get a scale to weigh dosages, then probably switching to a liquid would be best sooner than later, or having a month's dosages compounded.

Sorry to be so cautionary, just hoping to prevent difficulties if possible!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopelove,

I can understand your impatience.  When I first started tapering I felt an urgency.  These have helped me to be patient and to understand why SA recommends a 10% taper of the last dose with a holding period of 4-6 weeks to let the brain adapt to not getting as much of the drug:

It is much better to get off these drugs slowly to minimise withdrawal symptoms than to rush.  Trying to hurry up the process may actually end up taking longer in the end.  I also found that as my dose was reduced I started feeling improvements, eg being able to laugh and seeing something and really taking pleasure in the experience.

Hopelove, your first cut was a good bit more than 10% and that was just 2 1/2 weeks ago, nowhere near long enough given the size of your cut, about 17%.  You need to give that a solid four weeks. In fact, I'd say six weeks to give your system enough time to deal with that cut.  I know it is hard to be patient since you are new to tapering and likely excited and impatient to be off this stuff.  This forum is full of people who rushed the beginning, crashed, burned and then we had to pick up the pieces and try to help them with up-dosing, and LONG holds pursuing stabilization.  Please don't be another one of those!

It is much better to start off conservatively with 10% cuts every four weeks for a couple of cuts, see how solid you are with that. IF you have no mentionable symptoms after a couple of rounds of that, then you could either increase the size of the cut SLIGHTLY  (15% to start) OR cut 10% every three weeks.  Some folks are able to get away with that, but you don't want to start that way and crash.  

You mentioned crying a lot in conjunction with switching the version of Wellbutrin you are taking.  It could be that it is absorbing differently.  It is hard on the system, sometimes, to switch between forms of the med even without changing the dosage.  It can trigger withdrawal symptoms in and of itself, so all the more reason to take this slower until you have your taper method figured out.

You will need some way to get more accurate with your dosages, but you already have the info on tapering Wellbutrin so I know you are still sorting out which way to go.  If you were to switch to a liquid version, it would be best to NOT cut at the same time.  Some people have such strong reactions to a direct switch that they have to stabilize on dry again and then do a gradual cross over from dry to liquid. I had to do that with mirtazapine.  If you aren't going to get a scale to weigh dosages, then probably switching to a liquid would be best sooner than later, or having a month's dosages compounded.

SG

Hi Hopelove,

I can understand your impatience.  When I first started tapering I felt an urgency.  These have helped me to be patient and to understand why SA recommends a 10% taper of the last dose with a holding period of 4-6 weeks to let the brain adapt to not getting as much of the drug:

It is much better to get off these drugs slowly to minimise withdrawal symptoms than to rush.  Trying to hurry up the process may actually end up taking longer in the end.  I also found that as my dose was reduced I started feeling improvements, eg being able to laugh and seeing something and really taking pleasure in the experience.

SG

Thank you SG! You are right. I know I am being impatient. Anyways, it's probably not a good idea since I am having Ativan wd symptoms that I had not planned on. I had no idea that I had become dependent on them. But when I started having some weird symptoms and started researching, I decided that is what it was and instead of taking a dose to confirm it, I just quit taking them. The wd is tolerable, not fun by any means, but since I don't know if it is going to get any worse, I better stay where I am at.

Should I expect the Ativan wd to get worse before they get better? Or should they just slowly get better? I was taking 0.125mg as needed. I didn't take it everyday. But some days I could have taken up to .375mg. I noticed the symptoms whenever I went a few days without taking it. This had never happened before and I didn't put it together. That happened before I started the Wellbutrin taper.

Whenever I do make the next cut, what would you recommend? Still trying to stick with the SR tabs for now

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

Hi Hopelove,

Thank you chessie cat. Y'all are a huge help!

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey hopelove - 

There are many many people who regret going too fast, but I've yet to find one who regrets tapering too slowly!  

So please continue to hold.  Your next drop should be as close to 12.5 mg as possible, to 112.5 mg.  Please don't split the doses any more, if you can avoid it - split doses make for a more complex taper later.  2x a day is fine, but work towards getting it down to 1x a day, preferably in the am, since it is very stimulating.

Because you are having symptoms from the ativan irregularities, this is not a time to taper, until you get the ativan stabilized.  We recommend tapering the antidepressant first - but you will need to take the ativan regularly, to keep yourself stable, and get through your wellbutrin withdrawal.

Okay.  The ativan.  You admit you might be addicted.  You have noticed that you get interim symptoms when you mess around with your ativan dose.

The best solution to that is to take the same dose at the same time every day.  At worst, half of your total daily dose 2x a day, maybe in afternoon and evening.  But I'm not a benzo expert.

To work with a benzo expert, please go here, and read as much as you can before starting a thread. 

Members Only Benzo Forum

Wellness is our moderator over there, with help from Shep and Bubble, who have also tapered off of benzos.  We recommend stabilizing on a regular dose before any further tapers.

I hope you see the sun today!

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

*** moved from another area of the forum - question is regarding Wellbutrin***

Currently taking 75 mg SR in the AM and 50 mg in the PM. How should I do my next cut? Thanks

Edited by ChessieCat

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopelove,

I've merged your new topic here to your Intro/Update topic.  Your question might have got missed where it was and it is better to keep all of your history together.

One of the other mods should be able to help you with your question.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey HopeLove, 

Sorry - I misread your post - I had a cogfog of my own, and thought you had dropped more than you have.

I still believe it would be better to stabilise the Ativan and go for a few weeks on the same dose of Ativan, at the same time every day before you continue your Wellbutrin taper.

Then, you can follow my advice above, and try for 112.5 mg.  Since you will be decreasing the morning dose (75 mg) by 12.5 mg, you may need to switch to a liquid in order to taper the smaller dose changes you are making now.

To cut doses under 100 mg, your best bet, according to this article, is to make a liquid:

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, IR, SR, XR, XL (bupropion) 

See:

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

When making a liquid, it is important to keep the dose the same for the first few weeks of liquid, because you will absorb it differently, and it can affect you differently.

So here's a possible plan:

1.  Stabilise the Ativan to a daily regular low dose.  Wait 2-3 weeks for that to settle down.

2.  Learn to make liquid, but take the same dose you are taking now, for about 3 weeks, and then

3.  Reduce the morning dose by 12.5 mg, or 10% of your total dose.

So from here, it looks like you won't be tapering your Wellbutrin again for at least 6 weeks.

How are your symptoms?

Ok. I am a little confused, and I am trying not to be confusing! Lol.

Wellbutrin- since you suggested that I try to get my dosing to once a day, should I subtract the 12.5 mg from the afternoon dose? Also, will I need the IR tabs instead of SR to make the liquid form? Can I do 75mg SR in the morning and then the liquid dose in the afternoon? I would continue the same dose until my body adjusts to the liquid.

Ativan- I stopped taking the Ativan around August 18th. All of the initial withdrawals have markedly improved. I am only left with the occasional muscle twitching. Headaches gone. Pressure behind eyes gone. I haven't noticed anything else. No depression. No anxiety, etc. I would assume that I shouldn't reinstate at this point?

Thanks for your help!

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok!  Thanks for letting me know about the Ativan.  No, I wouldn't reinstate.

I would wait another 2 weeks before making any new changes, since you stopped it totally, just to make sure you are free of any delayed effects.  

Please, read the thread Tips for Tapering off Wellbutrin to answer your question about IR / SR  and liquid.  It looks like IR will be the answer.  Are you breaking your tablets now?  If you are, a broken tablet is IR.   With IR, you may need to dose 2x a day, because IR half-life is 21 hours.  It depends on how sensitive you are to withdrawal.

That is, it will be easier to taper 1 dose per day, easier to take 1 dose per day, but if you are sensitive, you may need to do 2.  We also need to monitor your sleep, as that afternoon dose could affect it.

If you need to change form or time of day you are dosing, then please take the same dose for a few weeks, in case you react to any changes.

Because of Wellbutrin's half life, I was trying to bring your AM dose down, until you were on 2 equal doses.  If you are more comfortable cutting your afternoon dose, that's okay too.  

Your idea of taking SR in the morning, and IR / liquid in the afternoon sounds like a good plan.  But first, you should move that dose to 75 am & 50 pm and wait, to make sure you are okay before making your liquid.

So:

1.  Wait for Ativan withdrawals to settle (looking good!)

2.  Switch afternoon dosing to 50 mg to get ready to make liquid.

3.  Try the 50 mg afternoon as partial liquid (I'm guessing you have 25 mg tablets?)

4.  Taper the 50 mg afternoon down to 37.5 mg.  (25 mg tablet + 12.5 mg liquid)

To play it safe, each of these steps should take 2-4 weeks (depending on how you respond - listen to your body!)

What size tablets do you have?

I hope that this helps, I'll check back later for questions.

I hope you see the Sun today!

• 3 months later...

Hi all, just wanted to update. I am now down to 37.5mg Wellbutrin IR. I have been feeling fine. I have been on that for about a month. About a week ago, I refilled my ex for Zoloft and they changed manufacturers and writhing 2 days I was feeling off. I even had an anxiety attack and crying spells. It happened to me once before with a manufacturer change. I am waiting on a new rx from doc currently. Just wondering, has anyone else experienced this? Also, does anyone experience feelings of getting a terminal illness as part of their depression? Thanks

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

Hi Hopelove

It was interesting to read your post as I am going through something similar at the moment. 

I have been tapering a different drug, Citalopram, and have been doing quite well. A few weeks ago the chemist gave me a different generic which I took for nearly 3 weeks. I started to get headaches and became very anxious before the penny dropped that it could be the change of manufacturer. 

I managed to get the old make and have been taking this for the last 9 days. Not seeing a great improvement as yet  so am having to use all my coping skills to get through this. I am hoping that my CNS settles down eventually so that I can resume my taper.

Hope you get your meds sorted soon so you can stabilise again.

Best Wishes 

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Meant to say there is a topic on this under Tapering - Brand Versus Generic Drugs.

xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Thank you for responding Flowers! It makes me feel better to know that someone understands. I am having some weird headaches also. I am miserable right now. The weird thing I have noticed is that I seem to be getting really depressed about 30 minutes after I take it...and then start feeling a little better late in the evening.

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

Yep, that is exactly the same with me. I am a different person around 11pm at night, just when it's time to take another pill and start the whole process again.

It is miserable feeling like this but I keep telling myself it will pass. It has before and it will again. It just hits you hard when you have been doing well. 

xxxx

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Hopelove, how are you doing?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 7 months later...

Hi alto.  I am doing okay.  Thanks for asking.  I haven’t been on the site in a while.  I am currently taking lamictal 150mg and Zoloft 25 mg.  I take 0.5 mg of ativan maybe once or twice a month to get some sleep.  I am getting ready for another reduction.  I am not sure if I want to do Lamictal or Zoloft.  I am leaning toward Lamictal.  I am trying to decide how to do it.  My thoughts right now is take 1/2 of a 200mg tab and then crush 1/4 of the tab and take 35 mg of that and put in a capsule.  Or get the pharmacist to liquify a portion or all of it.  But, I am also thinking the liquid taper would be better saved until I get to the very end as I’m not sure about how my body will absorb a large dose.  Do you have any recommendations?  Thanks

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Administrator

You're having trouble sleeping? What times of day do you take each of your drugs, with their dosages?

How does lamotrigine affect you? How did you go off Wellbutrin? Please update your signature.

Ordinarily, we would suggest tapering Zoloft first, with the prescription liquid.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes I do struggle with sleep sometimes.  It is better now than it has been in the past.  So, I am thankful for that.  It could be sometimes self-induced if I am not paying attention and have tea in the afternoon.  Sometimes, I wake up to go to the bathroom and struggle getting back to sleep.  It varies.

I take my meds in the evening now (8-9 PM).  I actually sleep better now instead of taking them all in the AM.  I feel like the lamictal makes me tired.

i crushed the wellbutrin and put it in capsules at the end of the taper.  I never had any major withdrawal symptoms with it.  That’s been a couple of months ago, so I’m not sure if I may still be due some.

I’ve tried tapering Zoloft in the past not being well informed and doing it on my own and it never worked.  So, I guess I will start with the 10% Liquid taper ever 4-6 weeks and see how that goes.  I did go speak with a pharmacist at a small more personable pharmacy than where I usually get my stuff filled and he said he could do it.   He mentioned lamictal comes in a powder form and then he would create liquid from that?  Is Zoloft the same?  Or does it come to the pharmacy already in liquid form?  It sounded like I may need to tell him how many milliliters to put the dosage in.  So, for example, if I’m starting at 22.5mg, how many mls of liquid would that be in?  I’m asking bc I wonder if My Pdoc even knows how to write that yet.  She is supportive and also educating herself to be a more holistic practitioner.  Thanks for your help

2006-2015 Concerta

2007-2007 Effexor

Current:

1999 - Zoloft 25 mg

• Administrator

You take Zoloft and lamotrigine all at the same time at night?

Wellbutrin tends to keep people awake. Zoloft can have this effect, too. Why did you decide to take them at the same time at night?

Please update your signature with your current drugs and dosages.