SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

Hi JanCarol:

Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't take Tylenol at all. I didn't know that zofran was not just for nausea. Is it hard to stop? Some mornings I take 8mg, some mornings I don't take anything. Will I have withdrawals from stopping the zofran. (It is in my signature).

I live out in no where and we don't have much out here (I live in a town of 800). I bought some nauzene. Does that work? I can't take b vitamins they wire me too much.

I guess I won't be taking any natural stuff, I don't need any other problems. I do live in a state that does allow marijuana but the smell makes me sick!

So, the cut of Lexapro and the meds from last year could be giving me morning sickness? I had no idea it would last this long.

I have a question. When they did my ct, it was with contrast. They didn't mention anything about my stomach so I'm assuming it's ok? They mentioned lungs, pancreas, spleen, liver, adrenals, kidneys, peritoneum, retroperitoneum and bones. Everything was fine except the liver hemangioma.

I don't know what else to do. But I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks...

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I wake up every morning with "morning sickness", but I know 100% Im not pregnant. Can anyone give me some ideas to get rid of it. I'm really getting tired of it. It's been going on since June 2016. I can't take turmeric or ginger, I throw up. Thanks!

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Hey Frogie - thanks for getting back with us, and updating your signature:

What is paracetamol? I just got a very nice scale, and is very accurate. I want to replace the meds with natural things, and could use help with that. 

Sorry.  I moved to Australia, and forgot.  Paracetamol = acetominophen = Tylenol.  (they were developed independently on each continent, and the companies that developed them got "chemical naming rights")

Also - check here before you consider the "natural things," because as you come off your psych drugs, the "natural things" tend to be risky in withdrawal; St John's Wort, SAM-e, 5HtP, even Rhodiola and Vitamin B can be overstimulating and cause problems.  

I understand about TUMs being like candy.  Your stomach has been so heavily drugged, that it probably thinks TUMS are just a treat, not medicine.  Also remember, 90% of serotonin is in the gut - so this will not be a walk in the park.  (sorry, but I'd rather be honest with you than say "everything will be just peachy!")

It is good to know - from Alto's research - that the drugs you are worried about hurrying - are not the likely culprits for "infiltrating" your liver.  But it's more likely the stomach drugs which are changing how your liver enzymes are working.

ALSO Alto did not address the Zofran in her list.  Can you just quit using it?   First? How often do you use it?  How well does it work for you?  If you continue it, can you please add it to your signature?

Keep in mind that most "anti-emetics" are actually psych drugs with the side effect of "anti-nausea."  They sneak psych drugs in on us, and SA members need to be very careful with anti-emetics. 

It is quite clear that your current symptoms are exacerbated by your extremely fast taper of Lexapro from 20 to 10 mg in March, with some rattling around of your previous fast tapers, from the year before.

You've come down this far.  You're doing really well.  Nausea is a common side effect of liver hemangioma, as well as withdrawal.  

Another more controversial possibility is Medical Marijuana, if you are in a state where that is legal.  It is best used in cases of extreme nausea - you would have to seek out a strain that was low THC (because that will mess with your psych drugs), high CBD.  If it is raw, uncooked, unheated, then it will not be psychoactive at all.  And it won't have the serotonin / liver flow-on effects that all your other drugs are having.

It may take you a few months before you are ready to even consider it, but keep it on the back burner as a possibility if you get desperate.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5030-cannabis-thc-or-marijuana-to-ease-withdrawal-symptoms/

But try the DGL and mint tea first (I notice you didn't object to mint, and it is better for nausea than ginger, it cools, rather than increases heat), and maybe try some yoga for nausea?

Yoga for Nausea - Allannah at YogaYin  

You can join our nausea and gut problem discussion here  (yes it's a common enough symptom in withdrawal):

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3413-digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhea-bloating-gerd/

I hope you see the sun today!

I replied but forgot to reply straight to you. Sorry...

One more question, would a liver supplement help?

Thanks...

Hi Frogie-- It sounds like you're in quite a dilemma here. A couple of things that are really important for us to know, are you feeling acute pain associated with your liver and is your skin turning yellow? 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Frogie-- It sounds like you're in quite a dilemma here. A couple of things that are really important for us to know, are you feeling acute pain associated with your liver and is your skin turning yellow?

Sometimes my liver gets sore but I was just at the dr fri and he said everything was fine. No my skin is not yellow at all.

I'm sorry for being such a huge pain but I have so much anxiety because of these questions for some reason I actually threw up. I hope someone will be able to help me today. Thanks...

• Administrator

Frogie, anyone would be anxious about possible liver damage. Plus, if your liver isn't working properly -- a sore liver is not a happy liver -- it could be sending signals to you that add to your unease.

Please do everything you can to stay calm. When you minimize the drugs, your liver will get better.

Yes, the Zofran is also adding to the liver traffic jam. If I were you, I'd avoid taking it.

Have you started reducing Prevacid? Why were you taking Prevacid and Zantac in the first place? Those are two drugs for the same condition.

Given that you're taking Prevacid AND Zantac, it's unlikely you'll get rebound reflux from reducing Prevacid alone, the two in combination must have thoroughly shut down the acid required for normal digestion. We recommend the gradual 25% reduction to avoid rebound reflux and let the gut rebalance. If you get it, please let us know.

I recommend DGL for occasional gastric reflux. I use it frequently myself. I like the Natural Factors chewable tablets, they contain minimal additives.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I didn't take the Zofran today. Am I going to have withdrawals from th Zofran to deal with today? I have started the taper today on both ppis. I was on Prilosec and Zantac because the stupid dr I had at the time said I would be better taking both, and my current dr has never taken me off one. I actually weighed the 25% reduction just so I wasn't getting too much or too little. Where do you get the DGL? I live in a town of 800 people so it's not like I can just run down to the store...

Sorry I'm just a wreck...

• Administrator

It is unlikely you will have withdrawal from Zofran as you have been taking it irregularly.

Please reduce only ONE DRUG AT A TIME. If you're taking 75% of your dosage of Prilosec and Zantac, reduce ONLY THE PRILOSEC and not the Zantac next time or you will be risking rebound reflux.

Order the DGL from the Web. Swanson's, iHerb, and Vitacost are reliable sites.

What were the symptoms for which you were taking Prilosec and Zantac?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

It is unlikely you will have withdrawal from Zofran as you have been taking it irregularly.

Please reduce only ONE DRUG AT A TIME. If you're taking 75% of your dosage of Prilosec and Zantac, reduce ONLY THE PRILOSEC and not the Zantac next time or you will be risking rebound reflux.

Order the DGL from the Web. Swanson's, iHerb, and Vitacost are reliable sites.

What were the symptoms for which you were taking Prilosec and Zantac?

Ok I was taking the zofran 2 a day from June until just a few days ago. I will take the full dosage of Zantac then when my Prilosec is done, do I start tapering Zantac or do I wait? The dr I had said I had GERD, and she said she always put her patients on both. I didn't know any better. I will check out the websites for the DGL. Thanks...

I wake up every morning with "morning sickness", but I know 100% Im not pregnant. Can anyone give me some ideas to get rid of it. I'm really getting tired of it. It's been going on since June 2016. I can't take turmeric or ginger, I throw up. Thanks!

Is your vomit acidic/very sour/making your teeth "on edge"?

If so, you are probably reducing PPIs too fast.

I had decades of gastritis, acidity, reflux.

Zantac & cisapride did not work at all.  Antacids made me puke too.

Omeprazole was miraculously effective, but they never monitored me and now I have been on it too long.  (You actually need acid to absorb certain important vitamins like folic and magnesium.)

Hope you get a reprieve - acid stomach and the need to vomit is miserable.

Wait for some of the wise moderators to answer you, too.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Is your vomit acidic/very sour/making your teeth "on edge"?

If so, you are probably reducing PPIs too fast.

I had decades of gastritis, acidity, reflux.

Zantac & cisapride did not work at all.  Antacids made me puke too.

Omeprazole was miraculously effective, but they never monitored me and now I have been on it too long.  (You actually need acid to absorb certain important vitamins like folic and magnesium.)

Hope you get a reprieve - acid stomach and the need to vomit is miserable.

Wait for some of the wise moderators to answer you, too.

I'm on omeprazole and Zantac. My old dr believed you needed both for GERD which I don't think I ever had but too late now. I'm tapering off Prilosec 25% a week (just started today) so guess we will see. My vomit, which was only once today, was not sour or anything. I think it's because I have so much anxiety, I burped and it just came up. I am taking magnesium right now.

I hope everything goes well for you. Are you still on omeprazole? Good luck!

• Administrator

What were the symptoms the doctor said were GERD?

Yes, taper Zantac after Prilosec.

Your doctor is in the habit of overmedication https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_are_your_opinions_on_the_following_drug_combinations_for_anti-ulcer_medication

What were the symptoms the doctor said were GERD?

Yes, taper Zantac after Prilosec.

Your doctor is in the habit of overmedication https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_are_your_opinions_on_the_following_drug_combinations_for_anti-ulcer_medication

I was tested for H polriy (spelling) it was negative all 3 times. My new dr doesn't think I have an ulcer from the ct scan (could you look at the message I left JanCarol about that). I also had an ultrasound before the ct and that's when they found my liver in the ultrasound but nothing else. My symptoms were if I ate a big meal I would tend to have upset stomach. But everyone does that. I just want to get off of everything and have a "normal" life. And let my liver heal. I did a gastric swallow with the white chalk that you drink and everything was fine.

• Administrator

Your liver is unhappy with the drugs. Please focus on carefully tapering and keeping yourself calm.

Your doctor is not good at diagnosis or treatment. She should have told you to eat smaller meals. As we get older, our cast iron stomachs get a little less tolerant of being overloaded.

Your liver is unhappy with the drugs. Please focus on carefully tapering and keeping yourself calm.

Your doctor is not good at diagnosis or treatment. She should have told you to eat smaller meals. As we get older, our cast iron stomachs get a little less tolerant of being overloaded.

Yes she should have. My new dr was just talking to me about which Ppi I was going to get rid of it that I didn't need both. He said with a good diet of fruits, veggies and low protein, I can probably get rid of both of them, just as you said. Did you get a chance to look at the ct report? If something was wrong with my stomach it would have said correct?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Frogie - 

I had to look up liver hemangioma, and as you said, the most common side effect is nausea, especially if there is any pressure on the stomach.  It looks like a benign, if uncomfortable condition.

Nausea is a common side effect of tapering withdrawal, too. 

So take it easy coming off your stomach drugs - you've got pressure from 2 sources contributing to nausea.  We may find at some point that it was one or the other, but until we do - go gentle with yourself.

I know you said:

I do live in a state that does allow marijuana but the smell makes me sick!

LOL you are thinking back alley reefer!  The stuff in the dispensaries (though I've never been, my state was not, is not an MM state) is completely different.  Nobody is smoking it there.  

There is a huge cultural resistance to it - people associate it with the smoking, and there are other ways to take it.  I don't recommend the edibles (they put something like 8 doses in one cookie, and who wants to eat 1/8 of a cookie?), but there are gentle ways to take it that don't involve your olfactory so much.  It ain't like Cheech and Chong, anymore.  And while I would never push someone to try this - if at some point you get desperate, it is not as harmful as the Zofran, Prilosec or Zantac!

You also said:

I guess I won't be taking any natural stuff, I don't need any other problems. 

I'm intrigued by your nauzene.  I'm not smart enough to know why "phosphorated carbohydrates" work, but I saw testimony that it was as good as Zofran.  It sounds like an excellent interim solution, especially if it is working for you.  

I still encourage you to try "simples," like mint tea and sodium bicarb (baking soda) in water.  

You may have some mild withdrawals from the Zofran - I don't have much experience with that, only that it was a red flag for me, contraindicated.  Keep track of your symptoms on paper, along with the times you take your medicines, and maybe a pattern will emerge that will help you understand better what is happening.

As you get going, there may be some gentle herbs you might add for a liver tonic.  But when you add herbs, add only one at a time (no combinations, even if the seller says there is "synergy" in a combination!).  The herbs I take for my liver are milk thistle, and I take an amino acid called Inositol which is also supposed to aid with that.   But let's wait and see how well we can get you by taking things away before we add anything!

I also take a liver glandular, which includes small amounts of B vitamins - but your experience with B vitamins indicates they are activating for you, and you should wait until you feel better before taking any B vitamins.

I like the sound of your new doctor!  Yes, diet can be huge.  I have NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) and the standard Western diet is not helpful for this.  It is difficult to adjust something that you've done all your life.  It was hard for me to reduce my carbs, give up most grains (especially wheat), eliminate dairy - but it has helped immensely.  Additionally, you might look at the oils in your life.  The "nutritional commission" of the USDA would have you using canola oil, which is a rancid industrial oil which has been treated to make it palatable.  Prior to releasing it into our food source, it was used for maintaining machinery.  Hmmm.   And it turns out that most vegetable oils are rancid and treated so that they can be used at high temperatures (like to make french fries).  

It sounds weird and counter-intuitive, but I have gone to coconut oil (my mother's voice cries, every time I reach for it, because it's saturated and we are so conditioned against that), butter (also saturated, but if it is grass fed, contains Omegas and vitamin K, which helps move calcium from the arteries to the bones), and olive oil (low temperatures only).  Downunder we can get a magnificent nut oil called macadamia oil, which is high burn point, and tasty, with a large unsaturated component.

When you get to feeling more stable in the tummy, it would be good to add Omega-3 fish oil to help with your future lexapro withdrawal.

It's great that you are willing to hold on the Lexapro for awhile, and work on getting your stomach drugs to a more reasonable level.

It can get better!  Perhaps, since you are suffering from anxiety, it would help you to dive into some Claire Weekes.

When you feel anxiety, here is a 4 minute:   http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

Try it first.  Then, as you start to settle a bit, look at getting into your body, breathing into your body to find out - how much of this is your body, how much of it is your feelings?  Often it is just the body, and we attach feelings to that.  If we can detach the feelings from the physical sensations, then we can more choose how to feel about the physical sensations.

Here's the magnificent Claire Weekes:

Dr. Claire Weekes - Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

You may also benefit from this discussion on Health Anxiety, as you have very real concerns, and it is difficult to distinguish your concerns from your emotions about your concerns:

Health Anxiety, Hypochondria, and Obsession with Symptoms

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hey Frogie - 

I had to look up liver hemangioma, and as you said, the most common side effect is nausea, especially if there is any pressure on the stomach.  It looks like a benign, if uncomfortable condition.

Nausea is a common side effect of tapering withdrawal, too. 

So take it easy coming off your stomach drugs - you've got pressure from 2 sources contributing to nausea.  We may find at some point that it was one or the other, but until we do - go gentle with yourself.

I know you said:

I do live in a state that does allow marijuana but the smell makes me sick!

LOL you are thinking back alley reefer!  The stuff in the dispensaries (though I've never been, my state was not, is not an MM state) is completely different.  Nobody is smoking it there.  

There is a huge cultural resistance to it - people associate it with the smoking, and there are other ways to take it.  I don't recommend the edibles (they put something like 8 doses in one cookie, and who wants to eat 1/8 of a cookie?), but there are gentle ways to take it that don't involve your olfactory so much.  It ain't like Cheech and Chong, anymore.  And while I would never push someone to try this - if at some point you get desperate, it is not as harmful as the Zofran, Prilosec or Zantac!

You also said:

I guess I won't be taking any natural stuff, I don't need any other problems. 

I'm intrigued by your nauzene.  I'm not smart enough to know why "phosphorated carbohydrates" work, but I saw testimony that it was as good as Zofran.  It sounds like an excellent interim solution, especially if it is working for you.  

I still encourage you to try "simples," like mint tea and sodium bicarb (baking soda) in water.  

You may have some mild withdrawals from the Zofran - I don't have much experience with that, only that it was a red flag for me, contraindicated.  Keep track of your symptoms on paper, along with the times you take your medicines, and maybe a pattern will emerge that will help you understand better what is happening.

As you get going, there may be some gentle herbs you might add for a liver tonic.  But when you add herbs, add only one at a time (no combinations, even if the seller says there is "synergy" in a combination!).  The herbs I take for my liver are milk thistle, and I take an amino acid called Inositol which is also supposed to aid with that.   But let's wait and see how well we can get you by taking things away before we add anything!

I also take a liver glandular, which includes small amounts of B vitamins - but your experience with B vitamins indicates they are activating for you, and you should wait until you feel better before taking any B vitamins.

I like the sound of your new doctor!  Yes, diet can be huge.  I have NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) and the standard Western diet is not helpful for this.  It is difficult to adjust something that you've done all your life.  It was hard for me to reduce my carbs, give up most grains (especially wheat), eliminate dairy - but it has helped immensely.  Additionally, you might look at the oils in your life.  The "nutritional commission" of the USDA would have you using canola oil, which is a rancid industrial oil which has been treated to make it palatable.  Prior to releasing it into our food source, it was used for maintaining machinery.  Hmmm.   And it turns out that most vegetable oils are rancid and treated so that they can be used at high temperatures (like to make french fries).  

It sounds weird and counter-intuitive, but I have gone to coconut oil (my mother's voice cries, every time I reach for it, because it's saturated and we are so conditioned against that), butter (also saturated, but if it is grass fed, contains Omegas and vitamin K, which helps move calcium from the arteries to the bones), and olive oil (low temperatures only).  Downunder we can get a magnificent nut oil called macadamia oil, which is high burn point, and tasty, with a large unsaturated component.

When you get to feeling more stable in the tummy, it would be good to add Omega-3 fish oil to help with your future lexapro withdrawal.

It's great that you are willing to hold on the Lexapro for awhile, and work on getting your stomach drugs to a more reasonable level.

It can get better!  Perhaps, since you are suffering from anxiety, it would help you to dive into some Claire Weekes.

When you feel anxiety, here is a 4 minute:   http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

Try it first.  Then, as you start to settle a bit, look at getting into your body, breathing into your body to find out - how much of this is your body, how much of it is your feelings?  Often it is just the body, and we attach feelings to that.  If we can detach the feelings from the physical sensations, then we can more choose how to feel about the physical sensations.

Here's the magnificent Claire Weekes:

Dr. Claire Weekes - Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

You may also benefit from this discussion on Health Anxiety, as you have very real concerns, and it is difficult to distinguish your concerns from your emotions about your concerns:

Health Anxiety, Hypochondria, and Obsession with Symptoms

Good morning!

Saturday I was really sick, Sunday, I had a lot of anxiety, I even threw up. Today no nausea, but anxiety. Can cutting back on Prilosec cause anxiety? If I know what's causing it I can deal with it. I just want to get off the Prilosec and Zantac and move on to the Lexapro.

I can take 1mg Xanax 4 times a day, but don't. Yesterday I did take 3 though. Did nothing for me. I feel like someone is squeezing me to hard and then I hurt afterwards.

Can you please look at my cat scan and what I said about my stomach. I would really appreciate it. It's really upsetting me.

I already take an omega 3, have for years, and I take 400IU vitamin e. My dr said I could have whole grains, and some cheese, and yogurt, but try to stay away from red meat and fried foods. Lots of fruit and vegetables. He also said losing weight will help my liver a lot. I should lose weight when I get off all these meds. I can remember when I was little my grandma would give me baking soda water when I was sick and I would throw up?

The MM I know all about. My son grows for his friend that has cancer. But I'm 200 miles away from him and any dispensary. I think I can do better with other things.

Will your liver heal? I'm hoping that mine will when I get all the evil drugs out of me! I take a probiotic everyday. I could start taking milk thistle, I don't think it would hurt me, but I will do whatever you say to do.

I know there are soooo many people on here that need help, but I wish I could get responded to a little quicker. I think that is a lot of the anxiety, the waiting... No ones fault, I have to learn to deal with it.

What day and time is it where you are? It's Monday, August 29th at 9:15am where I am. Just curious.

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie, you're in a challenging situation and feeling worried, to say the least.  Just a reminder we're a peer support group for antidepressant and psychiatric drug withdrawal and tapering.  We have no knowledge or experience that would be meaningful in looking at abdominal images.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Frogie, you're in a challenging situation and feeling worried, to say the least.  Just a reminder we're a peer support group for antidepressant and psychiatric drug withdrawal and tapering.  We have no knowledge or experience that would be meaningful in looking at abdominal images.

I was just curious that if something was wrong with my stomach the radiologist would have mentioned it as he mentioned everything else. Thanks...

• Moderator Emeritus

Totally get your curiosity and/or concern. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to assist you.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Totally get your curiosity and/or concern. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to assist you.

I'm going to assume if there was something wrong it would have said. It showed everything else :)

Also, can tapering ppis cause anxiety?

Thanks...

• Administrator

Frogie, it seems you are usually a very anxious person, is that correct? If you have that tendency, you can work yourself up very easily. You need to learn to counter this tendency and stay calm. Read

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Rebuilding self-confidence, accepting anxiety

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Frogie, it seems you are usually a very anxious person, is that correct? If you have that tendency, you can work yourself up very easily. You need to learn to counter this tendency and stay calm. Read

I am only anxious when I don't know what is going on. That's why I ask questions. Like do ppis cause anxiety, then I know what to expect. All of this is causing anxiety, because it's all new to me.

I have a great therapist and we are starting how to handle my anxiety this week, but with all the changes with my meds I guess I am a little anxious. I've been having other things going on in my life that's causing it also.

I'm following your taper for Ppi. Is is normal to have an upset stomach, not heartburn. Also is it normal to be a little emotional?

I'm also having some diarrhea is that normal?

• Moderator Emeritus

Probably all normal withdrawal symptoms.

Right now, we can't really sort out - how much the big 20mg to 10 mg Lexapro drop is still affecting you (believe me, you are still under its influence) and how much the Prilosec 25% drop is affecting you.

I know that the unknown is what is contributing to your anxiety.

There's a story about the unknown - a study was done at a prison, measuring health and stress levels of inmates.

The ones who were up for parole were more anxious and stressed than the ones who were there for life.  The unknown is more stressful than bad news.

But those techniques that Alto gave you:

Can become your lifeline, if you pursue them.  We can't answer all your questions - and neither can your doctor.  You are going to have to tough some things out, and live through them.  You're halfway through the dark forest, you may as well keep going (with plenty of rest, and holds, in between).

To check various symptoms, see:  Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Most Common symptoms of Withdrawal

These are the most common symptoms of withdrawal, though the list is not every possible symptom that happens in withdrawal. 

When you get a new symptom - like diarrhea - check it against the list.  Yup.  Gastric disturbances are there.  Relax.  It's just withdrawal.

For others who have suffered gut trouble, visit here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3413-digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhea-bloating-gerd/

I thought of you today as I was filling my supplement trays.  At some point (not right away) you may benefit from Marshmallow and /or Slippery elm.  Both help produce mucous to protect the lining of the stomach and digestive tract.  They each work in a slightly different way.  I normally recommend slippery elm, first.

Will my herbs and lifestyle heal my liver?  I don't know.  I lost major organs (thyroid & ovaries), and do not know if I can get the balance back.  I'm WAY better than I was when I started this journey, so I have every reason to believe it will get better still - but I'm also fighting against aging, too.  I don't think I will ever get my 45 year old liver back.  But - I can always get better than I am now.

Just keep saying it:  It can get better.  It will get better.  It does get better.  You can do this!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Livers are an amazing organ in the way they can regenerate themselves.  Many years ago I was hospitalized for acute liver pain and raised enzymes because of my use of a combination of ibuprofen and alcohol. I also did my best to destroy my liver with my drinking.  Once I got those under control things started to regenerate and for the past several years my liver function has been showing up as normal on my quarterly blood tests. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Livers are an amazing organ in the way they can regenerate themselves.  Many years ago I was hospitalized for acute liver pain and raised enzymes because of my use of a combination of ibuprofen and alcohol. I also did my best to destroy my liver with my drinking.  Once I got those under control things started to regenerate and for the past several years my liver function has been showing up as normal on my quarterly blood tests.

Mine aren't dangerously raised, just enough that they did the ultrasound and ct and found the hemangioma and infiltration. When I'm done with all the WD's I have to go through I will start taking milk thistle if not sooner, whatever the dr says. I just don't have any family except my fiancé to talk to about all of this. Both my parents have passed and I'm an only child, that's why I ask so many questions. I'm really sorry to bother everyone :(

That's awesome that your liver healed! I'm hoping mine will. It's all due to all the meds over the years.

* topic moved from symptoms forum

Ondansetron

I stopped taking this about a week ago. I'm not pregnant. The dr gave it to me for nausea with WD from Prilosec, Zantac, and Lexapro. I've been told they are not good to take everyday.

I have been waking up with horrible nausea since I stopped taking it. The nausea lets up in the afternoon.

Does anyone else have this problem or went through it? If so, can you give me some tips on what to do?

Should I have tapered? Guess it's too late now.

Thanks!

Edited by Petunia
topic moved and title added

Have a quick question. I take Prilosec morning and night and also Zantac morning and night. I cut my morning dose of Prilosec by 25%. Then I'm going to cut morning by 50%, cutting until done. Then I'm going to do my night dose of Prilosec, then start Zantac the same way. Is that ok?

Edited by scallywag
moved from PPI topic

• Administrator

Frogie, we discussed this in your Intro topic. The Prilosec is more of a problem than the Zantac, why do you not want to go off the Prilosec first?

Frogie, we discussed this in your Intro topic. The Prilosec is more of a problem than the Zantac, why do you not want to go off the Prilosec first?

I am going off the Prilosec 1st. The question I had was I am cutting my morning dose of Prilosec 1st, then I will do my evening dose of Prilosec, then the Zantac. I just wanted to make sure that was the correct way to do it?

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie, I've moved posts related to your situation (the 3 posts above: 67, 68, 69) to your introduction topic so that all your information is in one place.  This is the best place to ask questions about dose reductions and timing.

scallywag's Introduction