SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd make even reductions in the morning and evening doses. The object is to avoid rebound reflux.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

If I were you, I'd make even reductions in the morning and evening doses. The object is to avoid rebound reflux.

Ok that's what I'll do... Thanks

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Frogie, I've moved posts related to your situation (the 3 posts above: 67, 68, 69) to your introduction topic so that all your information is in one place.  This is the best place to ask questions about dose reductions and timing.

Thanks I appreciate that!

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus

* topic moved from symptoms forum

Ondansetron

I stopped taking this about a week ago. I'm not pregnant. The dr gave it to me for nausea with WD from Prilosec, Zantac, and Lexapro. I've been told they are not good to take everyday.

I have been waking up with horrible nausea since I stopped taking it. The nausea lets up in the afternoon.

Does anyone else have this problem or went through it? If so, can you give me some tips on what to do?

Should I have tapered? Guess it's too late now.

Thanks!

Ondansetron works by blocking the effect of serotonin, so if you have been taking it for a while, you probably need to taper, to give your nervous system time to adjust to the changing balance of this chemical.

Any drugs which alter our hormones or brain chemistry need to be tapered when stopping, if they have been taken for more than a few weeks.

Do you have any left? If I were you I would reinstate, wait until your nausea has calmed down again and then taper off it using the 10% method we recommend here for all psychiatric drugs. Are you tapering anything else at the moment?

Edited by Petunia
added quote

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

* topic moved from symptoms forumOndansetronI stopped taking this about a week ago. I'm not pregnant. The dr gave it to me for nausea with WD from Prilosec, Zantac, and Lexapro. I've been told they are not good to take everyday.I have been waking up with horrible nausea since I stopped taking it. The nausea lets up in the afternoon.Does anyone else have this problem or went through it? If so, can you give me some tips on what to do?Should I have tapered? Guess it's too late now.Thanks!

Ondansetron works by blocking the effect of serotonin, so if you have been taking it for a while, you probably need to taper, to give your nervous system time to adjust to the changing balance of this chemical. Any drugs which alter our hormones or brain chemistry need to be tapered when stopping, if they have been taken for more than a few weeks. Do you have any left? If I were you I would reinstate, wait until your nausea has calmed down again and then taper off it using the 10% method we recommend here for all psychiatric drugs. Are you tapering anything else at the moment?

I stopped taking zofran, and that's what caused the nausea. I don't take it anymore. Should I still do the 10%? I did the 25% on the Prilosec last week and was fine. I do still wake up with a little nausea, but nothing like it was. I do still have some Ondansetron, I could take 10% for a few days, but can I still taper my Prilosec?

I went from 20mg Lexapro to 10mg exactly 2 months today and still wake up nauseated every morning. Is that normal?

Frogie -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I've moved your post to an introduction topic for you so that more people will see your question.

I'm glad you found SA at the start of your dose reductions.

You asked about a signature.

• Summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly. 
  • Be sure to include all medications you're taking, not just Lexapro.
  • Here are instructions and tips on doing that: Please put your withdrawal history in signature

A tip: You'll get notifications when someone posts in your thread if you follow this topic. To do that

• Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. Result: A dialog box appears with notify options. 
  • Select one of the notify options, then
  • Click follow this topic in the dialog box.

This is where you posted your question originally. I'll leave the link here for your reference.Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Would you write more about when you felt sick after reducing to 9 mg:

• When did it start and how long did it last?
  • When did you go back up to 10 mg, i.e. how many days/weeks after cutting to 9 mg?
I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

It's been 2 months since I went from 20mg Lexapro to 10mg and I'm still sick every morning. Is that normal?

• Administrator

Recovering from withdrawal syndrome can take many months.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok wasn't sure if after 2 months I should be better or not.

I just found out this morning I shouldn't be taking digestive enzymes with omeprazole. Is that true?

I dropped down to 7.5mg Lexapro last Sunday and actually have only been nauseated 2 times this week.

Frogie:

I am sorry I have no answers for your nausea! Like you, I tried ginger, peppermint, etc. etc but nothing really helped.

I read a post a long time ago from someone who said pregnant women put up with nausea, so she thought she was no worse off than them and put up with it for 9 months.  I had nausea for a whole year day in and day out and another year I had it for 9 months.  It disappeared in year 4 of my tapering and I have never forgotten it and SO ENJOY EATING again!  You will too, put up with it and be patient.  Try different things.  I ate a lot of things that are easily digested, like soup and porridges (millet is supposed to be easily digested) and bananas.  Because I felt sick I didn't want to eat and I got used to it, believe it or not!  My biggest problem was having to cook for my husband, when I didn't want to eat.  Oh, and I did find eating small portions every 2-3 hours helped.  I also went on an IBS diet that helped.  I think you just have to try different things and find what works for you with a lot of patience and acceptance thrown in and the hope it doesn't last for years!

I eat a lot of bananas, chicken and lots of veggies. I hope I don't go 4 years being nauseous, I don't think I can do that! I did get some DGL, haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it will help. The dr gave me anti nausea meds but don't take it unless it's unbearable. Hopefully my WD won't take too much longer and won't be sick! Thanks for giving me ideas it's really appreciated:)

I hope you don't go for years being nauseas too!  It is amazing some of the things I have got used to, however and so it didn't bother me too much.  I had a lot of other symptoms that were painful, so I think back then the nausea was not a major issue!  On the other hand if you have no other symptoms and just have nausea it can be unbearable!  The good thing is that it does improve eventually.  I was very irate initiially when I could no longer eat my deep fried fish-n-chips or the lovely homecooked cakes and biscuits my friend makes every week, etc!  I have even got used to eating steamed fish now and enjoy i along with my oatbix with banana on top instead of  biscuits!  Another think I did was introduce foods very slowly (like once a week) and if my belly didn't like it, then put if off for a few more months.  I will never ever forget my first piece of toast with butter and vegemite, oh how I enjoyed it!  I introduced that slowly upping it to 2 pieces a week and then 3 and so on.  All the very best!

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

I hope you don't go for years being nauseas too! It is amazing some of the things I have got used to, however and so it didn't bother me too much. I had a lot of other symptoms that were painful, so I think back then the nausea was not a major issue! On the other hand if you have no other symptoms and just have nausea it can be unbearable! The good thing is that it does improve eventually. I was very irate initiially when I could no longer eat my deep fried fish-n-chips or the lovely homecooked cakes and biscuits my friend makes every week, etc! I have even got used to eating steamed fish now and enjoy i along with my oatbix with banana on top instead of biscuits! Another think I did was introduce foods very slowly (like once a week) and if my belly didn't like it, then put if off for a few more months. I will never ever forget my first piece of toast with butter and vegemite, oh how I enjoyed it! I introduced that slowly upping it to 2 pieces a week and then 3 and so on. All the very best!

So far food hasn't made me sick it's the withdrawal itself that makes me nauseous. But I haven't been nauseous for almost a week now, so I'm sure it's just around the corner. Ever since I tapered my Lexapro from 10 mg to 7.5 mg I haven't been sick. I have a couple more weeks before my next taper so we will see. I'm also tapering Prilosec. I'm more afraid of that than the Lexapro. But I need off all these meds, I have a very congested over medicated liver. I'm just praying that I don't get too nauseated from the Prilosec.

• Administrator

Hi, Frogie.

How are you feeling? Where are you with your taper of your stomach acid blockers?

It's better to change only one drug at once. If you're tapering your PPIs, best not to change Lexapro as well.

I don't know the answer to digestive enzymes with omeprazole. You'd have to ask Dr. Google about that.

Hi, Frogie.

How are you feeling? Where are you with your taper of your stomach acid blockers?

It's better to change only one drug at once. If you're tapering your PPIs, best not to change Lexapro as well.

I don't know the answer to digestive enzymes with omeprazole. You'd have to ask Dr. Google about that.

My Zantac was alway "as needed". I haven't used it at all. I'm on my last week of Prilosec. I'm just really nervous about the rebound acid, but I have Maalox and I googled, and it said to use DGL also. If it gets too bad the dr said I could take a Prilosec here and there but not a daily basis. Low carbs and fruits, veggies and protein like chicken, pretty bland. Then I'll start the Lexapro. After talking to the dr he suggested staying on the Xanax for a while after stopping Lexapro. My liver has its good days and bad days but I'm working hard to get off of this poison! At least I will just be on supplements and Xanax, so I can start to heal. Thanks for asking :)

• Administrator

Have you had any rebound stomach acid so far?

Have you had any rebound stomach acid so far?

I have a couple of times, but a swig of Maalox or DGL and usually some tums and a 1/2 hour or so I'm good.

• Administrator

Does this happen at any particular time of day or after eating certain foods? You will need to keep notes on paper.

Does this happen at any particular time of day or after eating certain foods? You will need to keep notes on paper.

It seems to happen as soon as my feet hit the floor literally from the bed.

• Administrator

Even if you wake up and stay in bed for a few minutes before getting up?

Even if you wake up and stay in bed for a few minutes before getting up?

Yeah I wake up 1/2 early and am sick before I get out of bed.

• Administrator

Do you get reflux or do you vomit?

What do you ingest before going to bed or during the night?

Do you get reflux or do you vomit?

What do you ingest before going to bed or during the night?

I just get really nauseous to my stomach. Don't vomit.

We have a pretty bland dinner about 3 hours before bed.

• Administrator

Do  you also take any drugs or supplements at night?

Do  you also take any drugs or supplements at night?

I take a Xanax at night is all.

• Administrator

Don't you also take a dose of omeprazole in the evening?

Other than feeling nauseated, do you have any other feelings as you wake up?

How often are you nauseous? Has this increased, decreased, or stayed the same as you have reduced your stomach acid blockers?

You might keep a food diary, to see if this happens after eating certain foods, such as dairy.

Don't you also take a dose of omeprazole in the evening?

Other than feeling nauseated, do you have any other feelings as you wake up?

How often are you nauseous? Has this increased, decreased, or stayed the same as you have reduced your stomach acid blockers?

You might keep a food diary, to see if this happens after eating certain foods, such as dairy.

I am down to taking only 1 omeprazole. And next week I will be done with all of it. I let go of the night one before I did my lunch one. I don't have any other feelings except nauseous in the morning. Almost like morning sickness but I know for a fact I'm not pregnant! It's stayed the same for the most part since I started decreasing, and it's not heartburn, it's stomach nausea. I don't get along with dairy so don't have that problem.

I have been tapering off Prilosec 1/4 at a time for approximately 2 weeks each cut. I am so sick to my stomach it's not funny.
Am I tapering too fast or is this normal?
HELP

Edited by scallywag
moved from PPI Tapering topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post to your Introduction topic so that all questions and responses about your situation will be in one place.

The pace of decreases is slower than what is suggested in the first post of the Tapering PPI thread. Regardless of our suggestion in the first post of that topic, the rate of decrease may be too fast for you.

Are you keeping notes on paper of your symptoms? To track down whether this is withdrawal or something else, a symptom diary is the tool of choice. Here's a post about the kind of notes that are most helpful:

Take notes of doses and symptoms

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I've moved your post to your Introduction topic so that all questions and responses about your situation will be in one place. The pace of decreases is slower than what is suggested in the first post of the Tapering PPI thread. Regardless of our suggestion in the first post of that topic, the rate of decrease may be too fast for you. Are you keeping notes on paper of your symptoms? To track down whether this is withdrawal or something else, a symptom diary is the tool of choice. Here's a post about the kind of notes that are most helpful:Take notes of doses and symptoms

Thanks for moving my post for me.

I only have one symptom, I wake up every morning sicker than a dog to my stomach. It doesn't feel like acid, it feels like I have the flu. After I take my Prilosec (the 25% cut), and the dr just gave me carafate to take I'm fine. I'm eating very bland, lots of chicken, veggies and a little brown rice. I held the 25% cut for a month and this Sunday I am only cutting 15% for a month. Maybe that will help. I need off of this because of my liver. I'm tempted to taper my Lexapro at the same time since I'm so sick, but don't know what to do. I'm lost :(

The dr gave me carafate to take. It has helped a lot. Can I stop taking Prilosec and just take the carafate or do I still need to taper?

Edited by scallywag
moved from PPI Tapering topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post to your Introduction topic so that all questions and responses about your situation will be in one place.

Please post questions about your medications, symptoms or other aspects of the situation here in your introduction topic/.

Setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Please post questions about your medications, symptoms or other aspects of the situation here in your introduction topic/.

Setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.

Ok sorry... Not very good at this lol...

PLEASE HELP!

I'm tapering Prilosec and thought I was doing ok. On 9-11 the dr said to drop my Lexapro to 7.5. Then on the 25th he said to drop my Lexapro to 5. I have been really sick to my stomach. This morning I went back to 10 mg Lexapro am I too late? Even at 7.5 I wasn't feeling good.

I woke up extremely nauseous, hands tingling and kinda numb and my thighs are really tight can't hardly walk! I took another 5mg Lexapro. Was that the right thing to do? Please help me!

Hi Frogie-- I'm so sorry to hear that things are going so badly right now.  Unfortunately I don't know much  about PPIs so I can't be of much help there. I do know that the dose changes you've been making in the Lexapro have been very large and can be a big part of the problem. The jump back up to 10mg is big but should be workable. Adding the extra 5mg on to of that was probably not a god idea. I would stay at the 10mg and let things settle out for a couple of months before making any other changes. The extra 5mg might make things worse for a few days but that should settle out too.

The big thing is to try and relax and not worry about how you feel and let nature take her course.

(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking