Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie it didn't copy well into your signature. I'm not sure what is happening with that. Are you copying the post directly or are you quoting the post and copying that?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Frogie it didn't copy well into your signature. I'm not sure what is happening with that. Are you copying the post directly or are you quoting the post and copying that?

I copied and pasted it.

I'll try it again.

Thanks. :)

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hi Scallywag:

I ended up typing my signature. It wouldn't copy and paste right.

Does it look ok to you (if you could check and make sure I got date and stuff right) ? I bought 350mg Krill oil this time so I switched that.

Thanks again for helping me with this   :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus

Looks better than it was before Frogie. :)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Looks better than it was before Frogie. :)

Thanks, you did an awesome job

I really appreciate your help getting it straightened out.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

I have had a rough couple of days.  Haven't felt great and have been crying a lot.  I have some days where I can't stop crying and other days I can. 

I am blessed to have the same therapist.  She has really helped me.  She has seen me at my worst and helped me through it.  I always feel better after seeing her. 

I am sure you will be happy when you move back home.  Is that the same town your granddaughter lives in?

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

Frogie -

I have had a rough couple of days.  Haven't felt great and have been crying a lot.  I have some days where I can't stop crying and other days I can. 

I am blessed to have the same therapist.  She has really helped me.  She has seen me at my worst and helped me through it.  I always feel better after seeing her. 

I am sure you will be happy when you move back home.  Is that the same town your granddaughter lives in?

Hi O2bhappy:

I'm soooo sorry you've had some crying days. They just come out of nowhere for me too.

Hopefully they will end soon. :)

Ever since I've tapered to 7.3, I've been nauseous again. I thought I had it beat, but foolish me.

I'm still going to the chiropractor. Tired of that too.

I'm not quite sure where we are going to move too, but I'll only be 20 min or so away from my granddaughter. It would really be awesome if we could move to the same city, we just have to find the right price house for what we want.

I hope we both feel better soon. You can PM me anytime.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

I will either wake up with the crying feelings or they will hit me during the day.  I will have a "wave" come over me and just start crying.  I hope they end soon too.  I wonder if some of mine is because of menopause.  Nothing like being in menopause and withdrawal. 

I am sorry to hear that you are nauseous again.  Hopefully after you adjust to the new dosage you will feel better.  It is awful when one symptom goes away and then comes back. 

How much longer do you have to go to the chiropractor? 

Twenty minutes from your granddaughter would be wonderful. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Frogie -

I will either wake up with the crying feelings or they will hit me during the day.  I will have a "wave" come over me and just start crying.  I hope they end soon too.  I wonder if some of mine is because of menopause.  Nothing like being in menopause and withdrawal. 

I am sorry to hear that you are nauseous again.  Hopefully after you adjust to the new dosage you will feel better.  It is awful when one symptom goes away and then comes back. 

How much longer do you have to go to the chiropractor? 

Twenty minutes from your granddaughter would be wonderful.

O2bhappy:

I'm not sure how much longer I have to go to the chiropractor. My arm feels like it's asleep all the time. It's so annoying.

I had nausea for 8 months. Thought I had it beat, then tapered and it came back.

It could be menopause. I had a hysterectomy, and went through menopause immediately. I remember I cried a lot. But I cry now too. So it could be a combination. Hopefully you will stop very soon.

It's going to be wonderful when I'm closer to everyone again. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

Having your arm feel like it is asleep does sound annoying.  Is the chiropractor helping?

I think the nausea is your stomach getting use to the lower dose.  I hope that it clears up quickly for you.

I was thinking that some of this has to be menopause.  I blame the hot flashes and night sweats on menopause. 

I have some weird symptoms that I just can't explain and those symptoms I blame w/d.  Gotta have something to blame for all this suffering.

Frogie -

Having your arm feel like it is asleep does sound annoying.  Is the chiropractor helping?

I think the nausea is your stomach getting use to the lower dose.  I hope that it clears up quickly for you.

I was thinking that some of this has to be menopause.  I blame the hot flashes and night sweats on menopause. 

I have some weird symptoms that I just can't explain and those symptoms I blame w/d.  Gotta have something to blame for all this suffering.

O2bhappy:

The chiropractor is helping a lot. He's got it to 1 nerve instead of my neck and back.

It's been 3 weeks since I tapered. I would think the nausea would let up by now. Hopefully soon.

I'm sure some of yours is a combination of w/d and menopause. I hope it ends soon for both of us. :)

You always give me hope with your kind words. Thank you.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

I am glad that you are getting relief from the chiropractor.  Hopefully he can resolve your nerve issue soon and you will be back to feeling your arm without the pain. 

Maybe your stomach is a little slow to respond to the change in dosages.  Are you able to tolerate food?

I hope it ends soon too.  I keep thinking about my life after withdrawal and in my head it seems wonderful.  :)  

I am glad that I can offer some hope.  You also give me hope...thank you. 

Hi Frogie--  I'm sorry to hear that the nausea is kicking up again. I went through that for many months and know it's no fun.

I would not play with my taper schedule just because of this symptom.  It's best to stick to your plan.  It appears that your last drop is what triggered the nausea so dropping even more won't help it.

One of the brutal facts of life about WD is that none of the symptoms are finished until well after we reach the "0" mark for all medications.  The symptoms all have a bad habit of coming back when ever they feel like it.  The best we can do is to try to learn something about how to handle them from each round and then apply it the next time they show up. The key lesson each time is that we survived it and things eventually got better.

A very helpful process for dealing with WD is referred to as AAF. Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  There hasn't been much discussion of is lately but it might be a good idea  to do a site search on it and read some of the many posts on the topic. It won't cure the nausea but it might make it more bearable.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Frogie--  I'm sorry to hear that the nausea is kicking up again. I went through that for many months and know it's no fun.

I would not play with my taper schedule just because of this symptom.  It's best to stick to your plan.  It appears that your last drop is what triggered the nausea so dropping even more won't help it.

One of the brutal facts of life about WD is that none of the symptoms are finished until well after we reach the "0" mark for all medications.  The symptoms all have a bad habit of coming back when ever they feel like it.  The best we can do is to try to learn something about how to handle them from each round and then apply it the next time they show up. The key lesson each time is that we survived it and things eventually got better.

A very helpful process for dealing with WD is referred to as AAF. Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  There hasn't been much discussion of is lately but it might be a good idea  to do a site search on it and read some of the many posts on the topic. It won't cure the nausea but it might make it more bearable.

Hi Brassmonkey:

Thanks for answering my question. I really appreciate it.

When it's time to do my next taper, do you think going down will bring on more nausea? Or does my body just not like this amount? I know you're not a physic, but you've been through this. Thought I could pick your brain.

Does it get easier or harder with each taper? I hope it gets easier. :)

I'll do a google search on AAF and a site search.

I really appreciate you helping me.

Thanks...

Take care,

Frogie xx

For the most part a persons reaction to each drop is like that infamous box of chocolates, but not as sweet.  By keeping written records over time it can be possible to find a pattern.  Your body is not happy at all with the drugs, but unfortunately they have to be removed very slowly so your body doesn't become even more unhappy for not having them.  Which leaves us with a very grumpy body that's not happy with anything we do to it. So like a bad house guest, we have to put up with them until they decide to go away for good.

Be sure to add survivingantidepressants to your google search AAF is pretty much an SA only topic.  You might also want to search WDnormal, that will give you some good information too.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

For the most part a persons reaction to each drop is like that infamous box of chocolates, but not as sweet.  By keeping written records over time it can be possible to find a pattern.  Your body is not happy at all with the drugs, but unfortunately they have to be removed very slowly so your body doesn't become even more unhappy for not having them.  Which leaves us with a very grumpy body that's not happy with anything we do to it. So like a bad house guest, we have to put up with them until they decide to go away for good.

Be sure to add survivingantidepressants to your google search AAF is pretty much an SA only topic.  You might also want to search WDnormal, that will give you some good information too.

Thanks Brassmonkey:

I read about AAF and WDnormal. Looks like I'm going to be nauseous most of my WD :(

I don't know how to get rid of it? If I did your taper, do you think my body might like me a little better lol...

I sit and cry about it, which does no good. But I'm soooo tired of being nauseous all the time. I wasn't like this with either of my pregnancies. And my anxiety is hitting the roof!

Your pictures are beautiful :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

"Looks like I'm going to be nauseous most of my WD"

Like I pointed out, symptoms are very unpredictable, but if you believe this then it will happen.  It's better to not second guess and just roll with what ever happens.

There's one other thread you should read if you haven't already:

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

I'm glad you like the pictures, I have a few more I'm getting ready so I will post some of them when I get a chance.  Monica and I are already throwing around the idea of doing that trip again.

"Looks like I'm going to be nauseous most of my WD"

Like I pointed out, symptoms are very unpredictable, but if you believe this then it will happen.  It's better to not second guess and just roll with what ever happens.

There's one other thread you should read if you haven't already:

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

[/size]

I'm glad you like the pictures, I have a few more I'm getting ready so I will post some of them when I get a chance.  Monica and I are already throwing around the idea of doing that trip again.[/size]

Ok, I'll think positive and hopefully it won't happen.

Thanks for helping through this. I really appreciate it. :)

Would your taper work better, or should I do what I'm doing?

That's a trip of a lifetime, and you're doing it again. How wonderful is that.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

I am glad that you are getting relief from the chiropractor. Hopefully he can resolve your nerve issue soon and you will be back to feeling your arm without the pain.

Maybe your stomach is a little slow to respond to the change in dosages. Are you able to tolerate food?

I hope it ends soon too. I keep thinking about my life after withdrawal and in my head it seems wonderful. :)

I am glad that I can offer some hope. You also give me hope...thank you.

O2bhappy:

I hope the chiropractor can "fix" my arm too. It drives me nuts the tingling and it feels like I want to dig the nerve right out.

I eat really well. I think it's this change in Lexapro. I was fine until I tapered to this amount. Hopefully it will change when I taper again and I won't be sick.

You are on your way to recovery and will get there. You will have a wonderful life. Sounds like you're getting a little better everyday. :)

Thanks for the kind words. They help a lot.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie-- The idea behind the Brassmonkey Slide is to minimize the symptoms caused by the initial drop by spreading it out over several weeks instead of doing it all at once. The symptoms that a person experiences are personal to their taper and as I have said several times, unpredictable.  There is an equal chance that doing the slide will reduce your nausea or not, there is no way of telling. Stomach and digestion issues tend to be different from acute symptoms in that once a person is sensitized they keep coming back.  I'm truly sorry that you're suffering from this symptom, because it's very uncomfortable, but I can't predict how a certain taper method will effect them. Keep it slow, steady and stable, allow time to take its course and eventually you'll get there.

Hi Frogie-- The idea behind the Brassmonkey Slide is to minimize the symptoms caused by the initial drop by spreading it out over several weeks instead of doing it all at once. The symptoms that a person experiences are personal to their taper and as I have said several times, unpredictable. There is an equal chance that doing the slide will reduce your nausea or not, there is no way of telling. Stomach and digestion issues tend to be different from acute symptoms in that once a person is sensitized they keep coming back. I'm truly sorry that you're suffering from this symptom, because it's very uncomfortable, but I can't predict how a certain taper method will effect them. Keep it slow, steady and stable, allow time to take its course and eventually you'll get there.

Thanks Brassmonkey:

I'm just soooo tired of being nauseous again. It's like I said I hit the 7mg mark, and my body becomes nauseous. For some reason it doesn't like this 7mg.

Also, all I do is sit and cry, and my anxiety is through the roof! I've never had those symptoms.

Time to see some new pics. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie,

I just read your post and I sorry to read that the taper process is having such horrible effects on your body. I can only talk about my own experience tapering from Lexapro 1) I experience crying as a way of my brain healing.I have found after a deep heart felt cry I feel like a circuit or neurons are healing in my brain. I have no evidence of this. 2) My body can take a 1mg drop but I have to hold for a minimum of two months to make the next drop. This is a potent drug it is very strong. Is seems ypu are tapering very quick.Is there any reason for this? You dropped from 20mg to 10mg in 8 weeks it will take me 20mg to 15mg 15 months.I wonder are you listening to your body?

I've started taking antidepressants in 2001. I took Cipramil for 3 years. Elflexor for 1 year. Lexapro 10mg - 20mg since 1992 approximately.

STARTING DOSE 20mg Lexapro 2016

19mg Lexapro (3rd January 2016)-Taper 5%

18mg Lexapro (8th February 2O16)-Taper 5%

17mg Lexapro (? March 2016) - Taper 5% -

16mg (16th May 2016) Taper 5 %

17mg (21st August 2016) + 5%

16mg (3rd January 2017) - 5%

15mg (4th February 2017) -5

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Hi Frogie,

I just read your post and I sorry to read that the taper process is having such horrible effects on your body. I can only talk about my own experience tapering from Lexapro 1) I experience crying as a way of my brain healing.I have found after a deep heart felt cry I feel like a circuit or neurons are healing in my brain. I have no evidence of this. 2) My body can take a 1mg drop but I have to hold for a minimum of two months to make the next drop. This is a potent drug it is very strong. Is seems ypu are tapering very quick.Is there any reason for this? You dropped from 20mg to 10mg in 8 weeks it will take me 20mg to 15mg 15 months.I wonder are you listening to your body?

Hi Rose9975:

When I made that drop from 20 to 10, I listened to a dr and was stupid. I had WD symptoms for 8 months.

I'm now tapering 10% a month. I am at 7.3 right now. My body hates the 7's. I've tried twice to taper and I hit 7 and immediately I cry all the time, I'm nauseous, and my anxiety is through the roof! I don't know what to do anymore.

I feel soooo stuck. :(

Any advise would be great. :)

Thanks...

Take care,

Frogie xx

Is 10% very high? & you only held for I month. I'm tapering by 5% & it still rocks my head & body.I am so sorry to hear your struggles. This time will pass. Your 1st taper in 2017 wad held for only 3 weeks & your second taper only 4 weeks.Do you think you can hold longer to leave your brain heal?

I know normal ways to deal with anxiety can be very different when tapering. I know I find strenuous exercise good but other would advise against this. I found watching a comedy with earphones was a good distraction from my thoughts & bodily sensations.I am glad you are reaching out for support. The symptoms are very difficult to explain to those who have not been through them. Can you take it easy /time out until you feel better?

I've started taking antidepressants in 2001. I took Cipramil for 3 years. Elflexor for 1 year. Lexapro 10mg - 20mg since 1992 approximately.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Is 10% very high? & you only held for I month. I'm tapering by 5% & it still rocks my head & body.I am so sorry to hear your struggles. This time will pass. Your 1st taper in 2017 wad held for only 3 weeks & your second taper only 4 weeks.Do you think you can hold longer to leave your brain heal?

I know normal ways to deal with anxiety can be very different when tapering. I know I find strenuous exercise good but other would advise against this. I found watching a comedy with earphones was a good distraction from my thoughts & bodily sensations.I am glad you are reaching out for support. The symptoms are very difficult to explain to those who have not been through them. Can you take it easy /time out until you feel better?

Hi Rose9975:

They say on this site that 10% per month is a normal taper.

I'm going to hold this one longer because of the crying, nausea, and anxiety to see if I can get it under control.

The 1st two tapers in 2017 gave me absolutely no problems.

It is really difficult to explain to people why I'm such a wreck. They don't understand at all. You have to go through it to understand it.

Do you ever get nauseous? Or any other symptoms?

I really appreciate you thinking of me. It helps a lot when you can talk to other people and make hew friends on here to help each other.

Take care,

Frogie xx

I have experienced nauseous feelings at the beginning & recently I tapered again too quickly. you really have to listen to your own body....track your symptoms on this site...the website only has guidelines for users...like a self-help book this is what worked for the individual that wrote it..it seems you are now only experiencing the withdrawal from the first two months and one more is too much for your brain & nervous system system...with drawal symptoms are inevitable but the serverity & durdation of the withdrawal symptoms can be managed with small tapers and long holds. You can & will do it xx

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Hi Rose9975 -

The 1st two tapers this year didn't bother me at all. I felt normal, as normal as you can on Lexapro.

I'm going to slow this one down, like I did the one from 20mg to 10mg. When I no longer gave the nausea, I'll take it a bit easier.

I'm sorry you get the nausea. It's the worst. But I know I'm not the only one with that symptom.

Thanks for talking to me. I appreciate it. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

I have experienced nauseous feelings at the beginning & recently I tapered again too quickly. you really have to listen to your own body....track your symptoms on this site...the website only has guidelines for users...like a self-help book this is what worked for the individual that wrote it..it seems you are now only experiencing the withdrawal from the first two months and one more is too much for your brain & nervous system system...with drawal symptoms are inevitable but the serverity & durdation of the withdrawal symptoms can be managed with small tapers and long holds. You can & will do it xx

Hi:

Are you still having the nauseous feelings?

Like I said, mine went away December-February, but now it's back.

I don't know what to do. I'm at a complete loss. :(

Take care,

Frogie xx

hi,Frogie

I have woken many times in the morning w/ nausea but usualy fades when I get up but sometimes lasts through the day and I have to force myself to eat.

I had it most of last night and my husband got me some ginger ale and it helped it go away.

sorry you suffer so much with this...hope it gets better for you...ds

xo

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

hi,Frogie

I have woken many times in the morning w/ nausea but usualy fades when I get up but sometimes lasts through the day and I have to force myself to eat.

I had it most of last night and my husband got me some ginger ale and it helped it go away.

sorry you suffer so much with this...hope it gets better for you...ds

xo

Hi DS:

I've tried ginger and it makes me throw up.

I have to force myself to eat sometimes too.

I just wish it would go away.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Dear Frogie

Being nauseous is just awful you poor thing. I am having it too but for different reasons as you know. I get up every day feeling sick and retching and cannot face food. The only way I have found any relief is to eat something to keep your digestive system going.

I do feel a bit better if I can eat a little bit a few times a day. Sometimes it is only something bland and all I can face but I am keeping my stomach happy.

I expect you have tried this though as I know you have been suffering on and off with this.

I really hope if you try a long hold it will settle down for you.

Feeling sick makes everything worse.

Hugs

xxxxx Flowers

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Dear FrogieBeing nauseous is just awful you poor thing. I am having it too but for different reasons as you know. I get up every day feeling sick and retching and cannot face food. The only way I have found any relief is to eat something to keep your digestive system going.I do feel a bit better if I can eat a little bit a few times a day. Sometimes it is only something bland and all I can face but I am keeping my stomach happy.I expect you have tried this though as I know you have been suffering on and off with this.I really hope if you try a long hold it will settle down for you.Feeling sick makes everything worse.Hugsxxxxx Flowers

Hi Flowers:

I read your thread, but didn't want to bother you. You are going through soooo much, you shouldn't be worrying about me.

I did so well. No nausea Dec, Jan, and Feb, and now it has to rear its ugly head again after 8 months.

I try to eat bananas, jello, peanut butter sandwiches, things that are really bland.

I thought about a taper. Every time I hit the 7mg mark, my body does this. But I'm holding.

I'm sooo tired of it though. Whoever invented these evil drugs should be shot lol... (Kidding) maybe they should have to test them on themselves and try to taper. That would be funny to watch.

We will get through all of this together. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi frogie,

I really love what you said about the one invented these most evil substances!

Nothing is wrong with holding. When in desparate (often and for years), I wish I could go back to where I was before taperin.

Take care,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi frogie,

I really love what you said about the one invented these most evil substances!

Nothing is wrong with holding. When in desparate (often and for years), I wish I could go back to where I was before taperin.

Take care,

Lex

Hi Lex,

Thanks... I think something should be done with them, but what? They should suffer more than we have. We can only dream lol..

I'm holding and holding, and nauseous and nauseous.

Were you ever nauseous? And how long did it last?

Thanks. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hello Frogie

Thanks so much for visiting my thread - just the tonic I needed!

It is so good to know we have friends on here who care.

It is horrible that you get stuck at the 7mg mark with this nausea. Are you still taking the Xanax? Do you think it could be related to perhaps taking that on an empty stomach?

I will be in the front of the queue when the drug companies get their come uppance I can tell you! Even if I have to crawl!!

Take care.

Hugs

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hello FrogieThanks so much for visiting my thread - just the tonic I needed!It is so good to know we have friends on here who care.It is horrible that you get stuck at the 7mg mark with this nausea. Are you still taking the Xanax? Do you think it could be related to perhaps taking that on an empty stomach?I will be in the front of the queue when the drug companies get their come uppance I can tell you! Even if I have to crawl!!Take care.HugsFlowers xxx

Hi Flowers-

I'm glad I could make you smile. It's really nice to know we do have friends that care here. No one understands in the real world.

I had a friend that was on 10mg Lexapro after her husband passed away. She got up one morning and said I don't need this anymore, threw them away, and never had one withdrawal symptom. She took them for almost 4 years. She doesn't understand me at all. So right now I'm not talking a lot to her.

I've never had a problem with Xanax. I can take it with no water and be fine. I'm so frustrated with the Lexapro I just want to scream! I hold and hold, then I'm nauseous and nauseous. I don't know what to do anymore. Pretty soon I'm going to turn into the exorcist and my head is going to start spinning around. Lol...

I think all if us want to be 1st in line when it comes to the pharmaceutical companies that "taught" the Drs what to do with these evil drugs. But something needs to be done. The Drs and pharmaceutical companies need to be put on them and then don't let them withdrawal just take them away. That would be a sight.

I truly hope you can get off the Ven and hold and hold forever on the Cit, until your body is stable. It takes years. I know, look at my signature.

Hang in there, it will get better for all of us.

(((HUGS)))

Take care,

Frogie xx