Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

• Moderator Emeritus

I'll tell you a funny story - I was taking my sun walk, and one of my neighbors is a massage therapist and into all that stuff.  He comes out to the curb and greets me with a huge smile and tells me what a fan of coffee enemas he is (he has an infrared sauna in his garage, too, and was giving me flyers for - coconut oil, special coffee for the enemas, etc. etc.). 

Then, with this BIG SMILE on his face he told me that, in fact, he had a coffee enema in him RIGHT THEN, and he was holding it, and had been for 2 hours.  He was SO HAPPY about this!

Oh, Lord, JC.  Say it isn't so!  It never fails to amaze me when people take leave of common sense when they become evangelical about something.  I recognize it happens to me as well, but, well... your neighbor crossed several very thick lines in the course of that conversation.  Ewwww.

Glad to see how Andy is taking such good care of you.  On several occasions he's said smart things that I didn't think of.  Awesome Andy!

Thank you for the kind words, Jan.  Most of the really cutting edge stuff I say you haven't heard because I make it up.   :P

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hey Frogie - 

JungleChicken (the other JC) talked about coffee enemas.

You said:

I read about that, printed it off and took it to my dr.He said absolutely not. The only enemas can be warm water. And only for constipation, which I don't have.I do have a fatty liver. I'm taking Milk thistle and Vitamin E. Not right now, Apace41 and I are trying to get rid of my nausea, not taking any supplements right now. And upping the time I take my Lexapro, hopefully getting to a time my body likes so I won't be nauseous.

Well, actually, coffee enemas (regardless of what a mainstream doctor says) are indicated for fatty liver.

They're not for everyone, though.  

I'll tell you a funny story - I was taking my sun walk, and one of my neighbors is a massage therapist and into all that stuff.  He comes out to the curb and greets me with a huge smile and tells me what a fan of coffee enemas he is (he has an infrared sauna in his garage, too, and was giving me flyers for - coconut oil, special coffee for the enemas, etc. etc.). 

Then, with this BIG SMILE on his face he told me that, in fact, he had a coffee enema in him RIGHT THEN, and he was holding it, and had been for 2 hours.  He was SO HAPPY about this!

I'm afraid I had to file that away in "Too Much Information (TMI), Thanks."

I have a number of health practioners in my camp who are fans of the coffee enema.  I've done a few - but have to be careful - too late at night and I won't sleep.  

But again - it's not for everyone.  Some people just can't face that as a regular practice!

Glad to see how Andy is taking such good care of you.  On several occasions he's said smart things that I didn't think of.  Awesome Andy!

JanCarol:

My dr was very admit about coffee enemas. I'm not going to argue with him. It just isn't worth it.

That's funny about your neighbor. That is TMI, but I guess he didn't think so.

My nausea is getting better. It feels more like my stomach is upset but burning sometimes. I'm not taking Prilosec ever again! And doesn't last all day like it used too.

Andy is great, he has given me a lot of good ideas.

You are very good too. Miss talking to you.

I drank 48oz of water over an 1 1/2 yesterday, then went and had my thyroid checked again. I did the tests you said should be done. The results won't be back until next Tuesday. I'll let you know what I find out.

I have been wanting to go for a walk, but we have had rain and snow constantly.

Thanks for stopping by. Like I said I miss talking to you. You always have great stories. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I'll tell you a funny story - I was taking my sun walk, and one of my neighbors is a massage therapist and into all that stuff. He comes out to the curb and greets me with a huge smile and tells me what a fan of coffee enemas he is (he has an infrared sauna in his garage, too, and was giving me flyers for - coconut oil, special coffee for the enemas, etc. etc.).

Then, with this BIG SMILE on his face he told me that, in fact, he had a coffee enema in him RIGHT THEN, and he was holding it, and had been for 2 hours. He was SO HAPPY about this!

Oh, Lord, JC. Say it isn't so! It never fails to amaze me when people take leave of common sense when they become evangelical about something. I recognize it happens to me as well, but, well... your neighbor crossed several very thick lines in the course of that conversation. Ewwww.

Glad to see how Andy is taking such good care of you. On several occasions he's said smart things that I didn't think of. Awesome Andy!

Thank you for the kind words, Jan. Most of the really cutting edge stuff I say you haven't heard because I make it up. :P

Best,

Andy

Andy:

Only JanCarol has stories like that. I couldn't imagine a neighbor telling me that. Ewww I say too.

You do not make things up, at least I hope. Because I follow what you say lol. ????

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Frogie - 

Isn't it the s***s to cry over nothing? This just started. Like yesterday, my fiancé were laughing and all of a sudden I just started crying, no reason at all. He felt bad. I told him it wasn't him at all.

Actually, there is a connection between laughing and crying.  I think it's activation of the vagus nerve, and don't remember what I read about the emotions involved, why we go from laughing to crying when we are emotionally volatile.

I think of it like this - the laughter is a safe way to "open the gates" to emotion, and sometimes there's more there to come out.  Just let it come out.  You are feeling feelings - a human condition.  Let yourself feel.  It's the best way to heal!

You say that you "only have nausea" but - I would venture to say you might have some emotional symptoms too:  Neuro-emotion

Could also be my lungs healing. I quit smoking 14 months ago.  :)

Oh yeah!

I was talking to my acupuncturist about my heart issue.   She asked about shortness of breath - and I said - well, yes, but I thought:  smoking, out-of-shape, withdrawal....

So it is good to keep an eye on it, and do what you can - breathing exercises and gentle cardio workouts - to expand your lung capacity.

I actually was thinking about you last night as I was doing my own breathing exercises.  I posted a lot of stuff here:  Breathing for Well Being.  I was listening to Dennis Lewis, and he talked about breathing helping with nausea, and there being a connection between digestion and deep, natural breathing.

My dr was very admit about coffee enemas. I'm not going to argue with him. It just isn't worth it.

I'm NOT telling you to take coffee enemas.  That's a personal thing that I would never ask anyone to do.  Usually, if someone needs to do it, they will feel compelled to do it.  Sometimes, they may feel compelled to do it, even if they don't need it.  The thing is - it's one of those things, that you have to be compelled to do.

Why I am commenting on your little comment here is - 

do you discuss EVERYTHING with your doctor?  Some things are none of his business.  He's going to have a very narrow view of "what works" and "what doesn't" and I find that most mainstream practitioners (about 95%) will pooh-pooh all kinds of things which are workable remedies.

Here's an example - my veterinarian.  He's a "country vet" - does large animals, has acreage with lots of animals.  My cat has a herpes of the eye.  When she gets stressed, or gets into something she's allergic to, her eye becomes red, the skin around the eye gets red and swollen, and she weeps.  She's probably had this since birth.

We used to take her to the vet when this happened.  He gave us an ointment that was a cortisone and antibacterial thing - but the herpes is a virus.  He's just trying to keep it from getting worse.  The prescription for the cream is 3x a day.  If we put it in her eyes 3x a day (have you ever tried to get ointment into a cat's eye?) - it would take 7 days to heal.  If we leave it alone, it doesn't get better.

I told him that I was giving her a powder on her food of garlic, yeast, and lysine.  He said, "Yes, the lysine should help prevent outbreaks" (it is used in Australian topical medicine for human cold sores and herpes).  So - he went along with that one.

Well, I got sick of using this awful ointment which didn't work very well.  So I was reading on the interwebs (ut-oh, that's dangerous!) about coconut oil, which is antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal.  So - I thought - well, we'll just put a few drops of coconut oil in her eye, and smear it on the redness.

It got better in 24 hours, with ONE DOSE.

I told the vet about that, he blew it off.  I tell him about it every time I go to see him.  He cannot wrap his educated head around the fact that a simple solution is healthier for the cat, and she now has fewer outbreaks, and when she has them, they are shorter.  The longest we've had to put coconut oil on it is 3 days.

Sometimes education is essential to getting masses of information in - but sometimes it keeps new information from getting in, too.

You don't need to tell your doctor about your simples or other things that you decide.  Most of it, he will pooh-pooh anyway.  What, you mean standing on grass is good for mood?  Being in the sunshine or listening to music is good for you?  Who would've thought it?  All of these things make him feel redundant and powerless, and there are some things that it's just pointless to talk to doctors about.

If you were compelled to take coffee enemas (I can see that you aren't, so this is hypothetical), you just do it.  Discussing it with your doctor just creates resistance.  I can only think of maybe one doctor that I know who might agree to this.  Okay, one.  She would think it's a good thing, as she is into alternative cancer protocols.  But - she's rare and unusual.  Nearly all doctors seem to think there is some sort of harm that will come to you if you do this.  The mainstream media is invested in telling us how dangerous alternative remedies are.  (don't get me started).

I guess what I'm saying here is this:

You need to decide what is best for your health.  Rely less on "experts" and make your own decisions.  You can talk to experts and get ideas (that's what I hope to give you = ideas.  They are not "answers" or "solutions" - but ideas for you to try, or consider) - but ultimately the decision is yours.

Keep on that stationary cycle until the weather clears - I need to get out today but it's rainy and cool here today, too (just an excuse - I shoulda, coulda, woulda - but I'm not going to beat myself up!)

Striving for that sunshine!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Day 27: small nausea, I wish it would go away!

Frogie -

Small nausea is better then a large amount of nausea.  Your body is healing and it will go away!   Look how far you have come. 

I am very proud of you and how far you have come!!!

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

Hey Frogie - 

Isn't it the s***s to cry over nothing? This just started. Like yesterday, my fiancé were laughing and all of a sudden I just started crying, no reason at all. He felt bad. I told him it wasn't him at all.

Actually, there is a connection between laughing and crying.  I think it's activation of the vagus nerve, and don't remember what I read about the emotions involved, why we go from laughing to crying when we are emotionally volatile.

I think of it like this - the laughter is a safe way to "open the gates" to emotion, and sometimes there's more there to come out.  Just let it come out.  You are feeling feelings - a human condition.  Let yourself feel.  It's the best way to heal!

You say that you "only have nausea" but - I would venture to say you might have some emotional symptoms too:  Neuro-emotion

Could also be my lungs healing. I quit smoking 14 months ago.  :)

Oh yeah!

I was talking to my acupuncturist about my heart issue.   She asked about shortness of breath - and I said - well, yes, but I thought:  smoking, out-of-shape, withdrawal....

So it is good to keep an eye on it, and do what you can - breathing exercises and gentle cardio workouts - to expand your lung capacity.

I actually was thinking about you last night as I was doing my own breathing exercises.  I posted a lot of stuff here:  Breathing for Well Being.  I was listening to Dennis Lewis, and he talked about breathing helping with nausea, and there being a connection between digestion and deep, natural breathing.

I'm NOT telling you to take coffee enemas.  That's a personal thing that I would never ask anyone to do.  Usually, if someone needs to do it, they will feel compelled to do it.  Sometimes, they may feel compelled to do it, even if they don't need it.  The thing is - it's one of those things, that you have to be compelled to do.

Why I am commenting on your little comment here is - 

do you discuss EVERYTHING with your doctor?  Some things are none of his business.  He's going to have a very narrow view of "what works" and "what doesn't" and I find that most mainstream practitioners (about 95%) will pooh-pooh all kinds of things which are workable remedies.

Here's an example - my veterinarian.  He's a "country vet" - does large animals, has acreage with lots of animals.  My cat has a herpes of the eye.  When she gets stressed, or gets into something she's allergic to, her eye becomes red, the skin around the eye gets red and swollen, and she weeps.  She's probably had this since birth.

We used to take her to the vet when this happened.  He gave us an ointment that was a cortisone and antibacterial thing - but the herpes is a virus.  He's just trying to keep it from getting worse.  The prescription for the cream is 3x a day.  If we put it in her eyes 3x a day (have you ever tried to get ointment into a cat's eye?) - it would take 7 days to heal.  If we leave it alone, it doesn't get better.

I told him that I was giving her a powder on her food of garlic, yeast, and lysine.  He said, "Yes, the lysine should help prevent outbreaks" (it is used in Australian topical medicine for human cold sores and herpes).  So - he went along with that one.

Well, I got sick of using this awful ointment which didn't work very well.  So I was reading on the interwebs (ut-oh, that's dangerous!) about coconut oil, which is antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal.  So - I thought - well, we'll just put a few drops of coconut oil in her eye, and smear it on the redness.

It got better in 24 hours, with ONE DOSE.

I told the vet about that, he blew it off.  I tell him about it every time I go to see him.  He cannot wrap his educated head around the fact that a simple solution is healthier for the cat, and she now has fewer outbreaks, and when she has them, they are shorter.  The longest we've had to put coconut oil on it is 3 days.

Sometimes education is essential to getting masses of information in - but sometimes it keeps new information from getting in, too.

You don't need to tell your doctor about your simples or other things that you decide.  Most of it, he will pooh-pooh anyway.  What, you mean standing on grass is good for mood?  Being in the sunshine or listening to music is good for you?  Who would've thought it?  All of these things make him feel redundant and powerless, and there are some things that it's just pointless to talk to doctors about.

If you were compelled to take coffee enemas (I can see that you aren't, so this is hypothetical), you just do it.  Discussing it with your doctor just creates resistance.  I can only think of maybe one doctor that I know who might agree to this.  Okay, one.  She would think it's a good thing, as she is into alternative cancer protocols.  But - she's rare and unusual.  Nearly all doctors seem to think there is some sort of harm that will come to you if you do this.  The mainstream media is invested in telling us how dangerous alternative remedies are.  (don't get me started).

I guess what I'm saying here is this:

You need to decide what is best for your health.  Rely less on "experts" and make your own decisions.  You can talk to experts and get ideas (that's what I hope to give you = ideas.  They are not "answers" or "solutions" - but ideas for you to try, or consider) - but ultimately the decision is yours.

Keep on that stationary cycle until the weather clears - I need to get out today but it's rainy and cool here today, too (just an excuse - I shoulda, coulda, woulda - but I'm not going to beat myself up!)

Striving for that sunshine!

Hi JanCarol:

Thanks for all the wonderful information. I'm going to listen to the breathing exercises especially. Hopefully it will help with my nausea. I wake up and have just a little bit, nothing like I used to have. So maybe I'm getting used to it or it really is going away. I can go a few days with none, then it comes back.

I just had a physical a few weeks ago, he did a chest X-ray, said my lungs were clear for being a smoker. No emphazyma or anything like that. I read about how you heal when you quit smoking. You can have shortness of breathe for a couple of years. Your lungs are growing new cilia and it takes a while. But I can take a deep breath, where I never could before when I was smoking.

I do talk to my dr about everything. I don't know why but I do. He's an old county dr though, that doesn't believe in everything. But he's up to date on everything. He's really good.

You have a heart condition? I didn't know that. I hope you are ok :)

As I'm writing you, my nausea is gone. See, it's gone as soon as it's here. Weird. Sometimes, I don't think it's nausea, my stomach burns. I wonder if it's still healing from all those years on Prilosec and Zantac? But those days are gone. I just stopped them in November and December, 2016, so it could take a while.

I'm going to read about the Vagus nerve. You talk a lot about it.

I think it's good to have my emotions. I didn't have any when I was on Lexapro. I was Lexapro numb. And now, I laugh and joke, so I must be getting better? I know I have a long ways to go, but I'm over 1/2. That's a huge accomplishment. I never thought I would get this far. I figured I would have to go back to 20mg Lexapro for the rest of my life. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Thanks again for the information. I'm going to get on my stationary bike and maybe my Pilates machine today. If I have any energy. I seem to run out of that a lot.

I'll write more later. Thanks for talking to me.

This weekend it's supposed to be in the 80's, so I'll be out for a walk then. :)

Hope you see the sun soon!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

Small nausea is better then a large amount of nausea.  Your body is healing and it will go away!   Look how far you have come. 

I am very proud of you and how far you have come!!!

Thanks!

I'm doing the best I can under my circumstances (living conditions). I really think I would heal faster if I was home.

Maybe someday that will come. :)

Thanks again...

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Andy:

Hope you are feeling better. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for thinking of me, Frogie, but why would you ask me about me on your thread instead of on mine?  LOL.

Glad your nausea seems to be waning.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks for thinking of me, Frogie, but why would you ask me about me on your thread instead of on mine?  LOL.

Glad your nausea seems to be waning.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

Because I wasn't thinking. It was a duh moment. Lol...

I'm thinking it won't be too much longer and I can try to taper just a little.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Andy:

I have a question for you.

I was reading joy2730. In her signature she said she drops 1 drop from her syringe (I guess to taper).

I wrote to her, but I was curious, is that something I could do? Or would it take me 10 years to taper doing it that way.

The funny thing is, as soon as I take my Lexapro, my stomach isn't nauseous, it burns like acid reflux. I'm not going back on Prilosec like I said.

I wonder how many drops are in 7.9mg Lexapro. I guess I could count it.

Just curious.

Thanks for helping me. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

P.S. There are 180 drops I just counted it.

• Moderator Emeritus

In her signature she said she drops 1 drop from her syringe (I guess to taper).

I wrote to her, but I was curious, is that something I could do? Or would it take me 10 years to taper doing it that way.

I think Joy is doing that to just reduce her overall drug load to some degree but that is not intended as a long-term tapering approach.  I'm not sure, but without knowing what the actual amount is that you are tapering you can't know the percentage you are dropping and it can easily become confusing and problematic. BrassMonkey's slide approach is a way of essentially cutting the 10% taper into smaller chunks and getting to the same place with a presumably "smoother" outcome and additional "bail-out" points if you hit a snag.

I would think that would be a preferable way to go.  Any similar approach that allows for smaller increments would work as well. E.g., you could cover a 10% reduction by doing 2.5% per week for 4 weeks or slightly slower at 1.67% per week for 6 weeks.  Adding hold times after the cuts would provide even greater "cushion".  But, in my view, if you are looking to taper off the medicine (I believe Joy is not at this point looking at getting off -- only lower) you need to know the exact amount you are reducing and the amount you are on prior to the reduction.

Best,

Andy

In her signature she said she drops 1 drop from her syringe (I guess to taper).

I think Joy is doing that to just reduce her overall drug load to some degree but that is not intended as a long-term tapering approach.  I'm not sure, but without knowing what the actual amount is that you are tapering you can't know the percentage you are dropping and it can easily become confusing and problematic. BrassMonkey's slide approach is a way of essentially cutting the 10% taper into smaller chunks and getting to the same place with a presumably "smoother" outcome and additional "bail-out" points if you hit a snag.

I would think that would be a preferable way to go.  Any similar approach that allows for smaller increments would work as well. E.g., you could cover a 10% reduction by doing 2.5% per week for 4 weeks or slightly slower at 1.67% per week for 6 weeks.  Adding hold times after the cuts would provide even greater "cushion".  But, in my view, if you are looking to taper off the medicine (I believe Joy is not at this point looking at getting off -- only lower) you need to know the exact amount you are reducing and the amount you are on prior to the reduction.

Best,

Andy

Thanks Andy:

I was hoping dropping a drop a day my body wouldn't notice it like it does with reductions.

I am still at 7.9. Haven't gone up or down, but like I said, I don't think my stomach in nauseaous, it is burning like acid reflux.

I would like to try to drop a little and see what happens. If I can't do the drop a day, I'll use Brassmonkey's taper. If I do the 1.67%, I can do 6 weeks then hold? That might be even easier on my stomach.

I don't know how much medicine is in a drop. What if I kept track for say 5 days dropping 1 drop a day and see what happens. I have a journal, and 2 calanders that I keep track of everything on. I just thought a drop a day may be easier on my stomach. But it may be worse.

What is your opinion on that?

Do you think I could try a 1.67% drop over the weekend and see what happens?

I really appreciate you helping me.

Hope your getting a window for the weekend. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how much medicine is in a drop. What if I kept track for say 5 days dropping 1 drop a day and see what happens. I have a journal, and 2 calanders that I keep track of everything on. I just thought a drop a day may be easier on my stomach. But it may be worse.

What is your opinion on that?

Do you think I could try a 1.67% drop over the weekend and see what happens?

I just gave you my thoughts on the "one drop a day" approach.  Since you don't know the amount of medicine that you are dealing with I would not go that route.

As far as a 1.67% drop, I guess my thought is that you are less than a week out from still being pretty uncomfortable with nausea.  I know you are anxious to start tapering the med, but I would suggest you stabilize a little further before you add another variable in a cut.  If you are doing well for the next week, I would say you would be in a position to start with a reduction of some amount -- either 1.67% or 2.5% would make sense to me.

You can always add holds into your schedule.  Don't make the mistake of thinking there is some science to all of this.  We are all different and everyone's body will react differently to the drugs (both getting on and off them).  We recommend 10% a month but that is not right for everyone.  Some people can do 20% and some can't do 5%.  Only by trying and erring will you find the "sweet spot" that will allow you to get off the drug as quickly as possible with the least amount of harm.

I know you may think differently, but I don't have all the answers.   ;)

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

I'll just leave the drop alone. I like it when you give me your opinion. I just thought it might get me through the 7's where I have all the trouble and have to start over  :(

I'll wait until next weekend, and if everything is ok, I'll try the 1.67%. It's less, and think I would probably do better on that. And if need be I can hold.

Like you said it's trial and error.

I know you don't have all the answers, but I have followed what you have said and done a lot better.

I can hold on one more week. That's nothing.

Thanks for helping me. :). It's greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Frogie xx

Hi Andy:

This is just what joy 2730 posted on her thread to me. I copied it over to my thread so you could read it.

Thanks  :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

joy2730

Silver star

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 455 posts
  • Locationripon

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

Hi  Frogie

Dropping drops seems to help for me, as I have become very sensitised to citalopram, through repeatedly failing at withdrawing and going too fast, also I think I am one of the poor metabolisers of SSRIs.

Of course it means it will take forever to get to lower dosages, but withdrawal is not my goal now, only lower dosages.  It is also not that accurate, but it is a way of stealing a little citalopram from my brain without too many symptoms.

It seems to be about 14 mg that I get into trouble with withdrawal symptoms, that and going too fast.

Anything is worth a go?

Joy  take care

<p>26 March reduced to 15 mg and doing fine9/4/16 reduced to 14.5 mg18/4/16 reduced to 13.5 mg measured out wrong just seeing how it goes14/5/16 reduced to 13 mg today13/6 down to 12.52/7 down to 12 mg citalopram2/8 reinstated 20 mg7/8 down to 19 mg<p>13/8 down to15 mg 15/8 down to 14.5 mg 14/9 20mg cit plus 200 mg epilim 16/9 18 mg cit plus epilim. Epilim is also known as sodium vaporate or depakote and is an anticonvulsant that is also used as a mood stabiliser. 28/10 19.5 mg citalopram after spending a few weeks on 20mg. 20/10 back to 20 mg

03/01/17  Reduced to 19.8 mg.  10/1 back to 20 mg

04/02/17 Now doing one drop on oral syringe reduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Frogie.  I follow Joy as well.

I think she confirmed what I told you and your decision is the right one.

Best,

Andy

Yes, Frogie.  I follow Joy as well.

I think she confirmed what I told you and your decision is the right one.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

I'm throwing in the towel, you win lol...

You know I'm only joking. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

:D

That's why you are a moderator and I'm not. ????????

But next weekend I'm going to taper as long as everything is ok.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Day 28:

No nausea right now, who's to say what will happen later on in the day...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Wonderful news Frogie - am so thrilled for you.

What time is it where you are? Its 2.45 afternoon here.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Wonderful news Frogie - am so thrilled for you.

What time is it where you are? Its 2.45 afternoon here.

Flowers xxx

Hi Flowers:

Thanks, but I'm not holding my breath. I haven't eaten yet.

It's Friday, 6:57 am

Hope you have no nausea too. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

I  hope you enjoy your breakfast and have a good nausea free day.

xxxxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

xxxxx

Thanks, I'm almost afraid to eat lol...

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Andy:

I'm going to go down 2.5% tomorrow. If everything goes ok, I'll go down another 2.5% next week, then I'm going to hold until the end of May.

I want to make sure it's going to work. I'm going to be positive and say it's going to work. I'll be at 7.5 then.

Sound good to you?

Thanks. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

xxxxx

Thanks, I'm almost afraid to eat lol...

Take care,

Frogie xx

Ate a banana and no nausea yet. :)

Let's hope it goes away!

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to go down 2.5% tomorrow. If everything goes ok, I'll go down another 2.5% next week, then I'm going to hold until the end of May.

I want to make sure it's going to work. I'm going to be positive and say it's going to work. I'll be at 7.5 then.

Sound good to you?

So, Frogie -- here is what you are doing -- you are changing the rules of what we discussed and then asking me to bless it.  

First off, it's not my decision -- it's yours.  Only you can tell how you feel and decide what is best for you and what your body needs/wants right now.  I can only provide suggestions.

We had discussed you stabilizing without nausea for a week or at least several days before you dropped.  We had discussed 1.67% and now you are looking at 2.5%.  Neither of these changes are earth-shattering.  You are excited and happy that you are feeling better so you logically want to move forward.  I would counsel that you hold off so that you can be sure you are fully established in that "better place."  So, you want me to tell you that cutting tomorrow is "good with me."  If you had a problem as a result of it what then?  Would you come back and say, "but Andy said it was good with him?"  

Do you see where I'm headed with all of this?  There are no RIGHT answers.  Just best guesses.  The longer you hold while you are asymptomatic before making your next move the greater the comfort level that your body has reached homeostasis.  Cutting from a place of stability is always safer than cutting from a place of instability.  

So, is it "good with me" if you reduce tomorrow?  It is good with me if you have looked at all the factors and decided for yourself that you think it is in your best interests to cut tomorrow.  I don't think it's a crazy, off the wall idea.  I would opt for just slightly more conservatism but that's me.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

I did get excited, you are correct. I wasn't thinking.

What if I wait until next weekend, and if the week goes well, I'll try 1.67%.

Then wait a week, if no symptoms (which I'm sure I'll have some), but if I can handle it. Maybe only a couple of days, the next weekend drop 1.67% and then hold the rest of May and see how I do?

I know exactly what you are saying. I don't want to get overly excited, and start tapering. Then end up in a mess like I was.

How does that sound to you?

Thanks. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Now, THAT schedule "sounds good to me."

;)

Best,

Andy

Now, THAT schedule "sounds good to me."

;)

Best,

Andy

Great that's what I'll do!

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Frogie!

Andy said:

The longer you hold while you are asymptomatic before making your next move the greater the comfort level that your body has reached homeostasis. 

I'm going to suggest don't push it.  (sorry to contradict, Andy - I like that she's slowing down - but there are tons of people who regret tapering too fast, and very very very few who regret tapering too slow)

There is no harm in holding.

Really.  

Remember last fall - you were doing so well - and you held for awhile - but when you cut in January - January 1 (you were gonna do it on a schedule) it turned all wobbly.

What is the harm in holding another month, to make sure you are really really well before your next cut?  Throw out the calendar.  You are not obligated to taper on Day 30 of recovery from symptoms...

Rhis's Start Small Listen to Body Taper Plan

I found this in my notes, and cannot remember if I gave it to you or not:

https://youtu.be/lvSWgwKJavw  (Stomach Acid)

Sorry if this is contradictory or confusing.  I am just reminding you that holding is healing.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

I've just changed the "saying" in my signature because I was wanting to go faster.  It now reads:

Reminder to self:      P A T I E N C E       I want to go faster    but I won't

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Frogie, 

How are you these days? 

Regards

Rain

2006 October Zoloft 50mg for anxiety.

2013 March Lexapro 10mg for 18 months to 2015 September.

2015 September increased to 20mg for 7 weeks but getting worse. 3rd November dropped back to 10mg

2016 11th November taper to 9mg

2017 3rd March Taper to 8.8mg, then Fast taper start: 10th-8.6mg, 12th-8.2mg, 17th-8.0mg, 22rd-7.7mg, 27th-7.4mg.

April 2nd- 6.9mg (WD start), 19th-6.5mg. Failed one day Cymbalta trial, took back Lexapro, much worse Akathisia torture. Keep holding. 

May 22nd- 6.3mg, June 10th- 5.7mg, Nov- 4.4mg, Dec- 4.3mg,

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Day 29:

No nausea again...

But we ate out last night and I just got up, so it could happen.

Let's hope not. :)