Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

Frogie -

I am glad that I could make you happy.  That makes me happy.  :-) 

I am glad you have your fiancés mother.  It is wonderful to have someone that you can call and that will listen.  Sometimes you just need to get things off your chest.  I am blessed to still have my parents.  I do talk with my mom about how I feel, but I also think that she gets tired of listening to me.  For probably the first year of withdrawal all I seemed to do was complain to my husband about how bad I was feeling.  I am surprised he didn't ask for a divorce, I certainly wouldn't have blamed him.  All I kept telling him is that I want to feel better.  He gave me good advice, but I didn't really want to hear it.  What I wanted to hear was that he had the answer to making me feel better.  I was looking for a magic fix and I knew there wasn't one. 

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with a pinched never.  I am sorry you got a migraine.  You shouldn't have to be dealing with all of this on top of withdrawal. 

It has been a while since I took my last Xanax.  When I am on the phone with my mom crying she always tell me to take one.  I told her that I don't want to start taking them in the middle of withdrawal because I don't want it to make things worse.  I can understand how it is addictive.  You take one...you feel better.  Who wouldn't want that feeling of feeling better. 

You are not venting, but if you were this is the place to do it. 

I have to keep reminding myself that I have come a long way.  It hasn't been easy but I have done it.  When I was first in withdrawal I felt like I needed to go back on something to feel better.  I would spend hours online researching A/Ds.  I just wanted to feel better.  I am glad to say I haven't researched going back on A/Ds for 8 or 9 months.  I realized the quick fix wasn't going to help me. 

I love the idea of beating this together.  I think it takes all the support we can get!!!

I hope you find joy in something that you do today!

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

Forgot to say many CONGRATS on beating the nausea Frogie!

You can almost be happy, lol

Just sort out the pinched nerve :0)

Take care,

JC xxx

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Frogie -

I am glad that I could make you happy. That makes me happy. :-)

I am glad you have your fiancés mother. It is wonderful to have someone that you can call and that will listen. Sometimes you just need to get things off your chest. I am blessed to still have my parents. I do talk with my mom about how I feel, but I also think that she gets tired of listening to me. For probably the first year of withdrawal all I seemed to do was complain to my husband about how bad I was feeling. I am surprised he didn't ask for a divorce, I certainly wouldn't have blamed him. All I kept telling him is that I want to feel better. He gave me good advice, but I didn't really want to hear it. What I wanted to hear was that he had the answer to making me feel better. I was looking for a magic fix and I knew there wasn't one.

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with a pinched never. I am sorry you got a migraine. You shouldn't have to be dealing with all of this on top of withdrawal.

It has been a while since I took my last Xanax. When I am on the phone with my mom crying she always tell me to take one. I told her that I don't want to start taking them in the middle of withdrawal because I don't want it to make things worse. I can understand how it is addictive. You take one...you feel better. Who wouldn't want that feeling of feeling better.

You are not venting, but if you were this is the place to do it.

I have to keep reminding myself that I have come a long way. It hasn't been easy but I have done it. When I was first in withdrawal I felt like I needed to go back on something to feel better. I would spend hours online researching A/Ds. I just wanted to feel better. I am glad to say I haven't researched going back on A/Ds for 8 or 9 months. I realized the quick fix wasn't going to help me.

I love the idea of beating this together. I think it takes all the support we can get!!!

I hope you find joy in something that you do today!

Thank you for the kind words and for caring.

You are very lucky to still have your parents. My mom passed when she was 67, she had a stroke. It wasn't her 1st one. My dad passed away 4 years later from emphazyema. He hadn't smoked since I was 13, but his wife smoked. It will be 7 years that I lost my mom and 4 since I lost my dad. I quit a year ago next month. I feel so much better. But right now, I think I sure could use one right now, but I'm not going back.

Xanax does make you feel better. And very addictive. I used to be able to take 1 or 2 a month and be fine. Now I'm on 3-1mg a day and can take 4mg if needed. That will be a real fun taper lol...

I really love the idea of helping each other. I can use all the help I can get. :)

Let's stay in touch, you, and Junglechicken and among others really give a calming effect on me. I really appreciate it.

I will finally see a therapist fri. Haven't seen one in a month. Mine has been really sick, in and out of the hospital. I'll be glad when she is able to come back.

I did enjoy something today. I went to the chiropractor and feel better.

I'm here for you. Don't forget that. I know it's hard to talk to the same family member over and over. They don't understand.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Forgot to say many CONGRATS on beating the nausea Frogie!

You can almost be happy, lol

Just sort out the pinched nerve :0)

Take care,

JC xxx

Thanks!

It's nice to wake up and not be sick. I thought I would never see the end in sight. Only took 8 months lol... :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

hi Frogie, just stopping by to see how you are doing.

so sorry to hear about your pinched nerve, I hope that gets better fast.

so the nausea is gone now?? finally!! geez, it's about time, you had that for, forever! it seemed.

hope you're having a good day.

It was nice to hear from you.

Maybe we can move forward helping each other with our taper. :)

I could use lots of help right now...

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Mentor

I am sorry things are so rough for you now!

remember to go slow and keep things steady- or in other words, don't do what I've done :/

and most of all, remember that it is going to get better, that you can count on!!

hang in there kiddo.

hey, do you do the epsom salt baths? I haven't tried them yet but might, I think I still have a half a bag of the stuff left. Might help you relax some.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

I am sorry things are so rough for you now!

remember to go slow and keep things steady- or in other words, don't do what I've done :/

and most of all, remember that it is going to get better, that you can count on!!

hang in there kiddo.

hey, do you do the epsom salt baths? I haven't tried them yet but might, I think I still have a half a bag of the stuff left. Might help you relax some.

Thanks, it can only get better. That's how I have to look at things. :)

I'm doing my taper 10% like I'm supposed to be doing, so hopefully it will be smoother on the next taper. I think some of this rough one was the the 2 doses of steroids. I read about them and they can cause symptoms that I have. Might hold a little longer on this taper.

I haven't tried the Epsom salt baths. We don't have a bathtub right now. Water was leaking, so had to shut the water off to it. Be glad when that bathroom will be done, but have to start the project before it can be done lol...

PM sometime. Would like to hear more on how you are doing. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie,

How's the weight loss going? How are you feeling?

Started mine yesterday and not going too badly. Don't feel as though I'm missing out on all that junk I used to put away (my poor body).

Am off to the doc next week with a "shopping list" of things to ask and give me peace of mind, lol.

Take care,

JC xxx

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Frogie,

Started mine yesterday and not going too badly. Don't feel as though I'm missing out on all that junk I used to put away (my poor body).

Am off to the doc next week with a "shopping list" of things to ask and give me peace of mind, lol.

Take care,

JC xxx

We are finishing up the food we have in the house. Can't waste it.

Then comes the Mediterranean diet.

I think we will do fine. And I can ask you questions, if you don't mind. :)

We are actually looking forward to it.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie,

Take care,

JC xxx

Take care,

Frogie xx

Absolutely Frogie, of course you can ask me diet stuff :0)

Anytime xxx

Major Life Events: 

Frogie,

Take care,

JC xxx

Take care,

Frogie xx

Absolutely Frogie, of course you can ask me diet stuff :0)

Anytime xxx

Awesome. I really appreciate it :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

I am blessed to still have my parents.  I am sorry that both of your parents have passed away.  I am proud of you for not going back to have a cigarette.  My brother-in-law passed away 4 years ago from lung cancer. 

Do you still take 3 Xanax a day?  When will you start to taper the Xanax? 

I hope you have a wonderful visit with your therapist today.  I saw mine yesterday.  It has been wonderful to have a therapist during withdrawal. 

I greatly appreciate you being here for me.  As you said we can all use the support.  I am feeling very emotional right now.  I found out Tuesday evening that one of my closest friends has only 1-2 years left to live.  She had breast cancer a couple of years ago and it has come back in her brain.  She had the tumor removed in December.  The doctor said that blood works shows that she has cancer somewhere else in her body.  I am devastated.  She has been the one friend who has really listen to me during my withdrawal.  I pray for a miracle that she can survive and prove the doctors wrong, but I am not sure that will happen.  I have been very upset since I found out.  I know I need to be strong for her, but it is difficult in my emotional state of withdrawal. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

I'm sooooo emotional, I can just sit and cry for hours.

I read that steroids can do that and raise your blood pressure. I went through 2 rounds of steroids. Hopefully I will stop soon.

I see a new therapist today. No one in the office that I go too has met her. Mine has been in and out of the hospital since Christmas. She's hoping to be back by the end if April. I hope so too, but she she needs to get well before she can help anyone else.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks...

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Mentor

good luck with the new therapist!

yeh it's probably coming off the steroids making you emotional

:(

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

Frogie -

I am blessed to still have my parents.  I am sorry that both of your parents have passed away.  I am proud of you for not going back to have a cigarette.  My brother-in-law passed away 4 years ago from lung cancer. 

Do you still take 3 Xanax a day?  When will you start to taper the Xanax? 

I hope you have a wonderful visit with your therapist today.  I saw mine yesterday.  It has been wonderful to have a therapist during withdrawal. 

I greatly appreciate you being here for me.  As you said we can all use the support.  I am feeling very emotional right now.  I found out Tuesday evening that one of my closest friends has only 1-2 years left to live.  She had breast cancer a couple of years ago and it has come back in her brain.  She had the tumor removed in December.  The doctor said that blood works shows that she has cancer somewhere else in her body.  I am devastated.  She has been the one friend who has really listen to me during my withdrawal.  I pray for a miracle that she can survive and prove the doctors wrong, but I am not sure that will happen.  I have been very upset since I found out.  I know I need to be strong for her, but it is difficult in my emotional state of withdrawal.

I'm very sorry for everything that's going on, it has to be really hard for you.

I'm really emotional right now, I cry if I sneeze wrong.

Everything is sooooo dark and dreary, I can't handle anything right now. I want to run down the street screaming and crying. I cry at the shopping channel. Life isn't going so well right now.

Hopefully my new therapist will help.

Thank you for supporting me in my time of need. :)

I appreciate you writing me.

Can we talk about happy things? I'm not pushing you away, and I know we all need to support each other, but I can't do dark side stuff.

It's snowing here. It was supposed to snow yesterday, and did a little, wasn't supposed to today, but it is.

Hopefully I'll feel better after I talk to my therapist.

Thank you soooo much :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

good luck with the new therapist!

yeh it's probably coming off the steroids making you emotional

:(

I'm sure it is the steroids, I've never taken 2 rounds back to back.

Thanks, I hope the new therapist will work out.

Good luck with your appt.

Talk soon. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

I am still numb about getting the news of my friend. 

I am sorry to hear that you are emotional.  I am sorry to hear that life isn't going well right now, but I understand.  Remember...you will get through this and you are strong!!! 

How was your visit with your therapist? 

...Thank you for supporting me in my time of need. :)... I am always here for you. 

Can we talk about happy things...YES.  I saw a beautiful rainbow today after we had a storm  Made me think about withdrawal.  Withdrawal is the storm and the feelings of recovery are the rainbow.  There are better times ahead for the both of us!!!

Hang in there Frogie and remember I am here for you!!!

I have a question for a mod:

I pinched a nerve in my neck and was on 2 rounds of steroids and oxycodone.

I still am taking the oxycodone here and there.

I'm supposed to taper my Lexapro this coming weekend.

Is it ok to taper, or should I hold until this is straightened out?

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

I am still numb about getting the news of my friend. 

I am sorry to hear that you are emotional.  I am sorry to hear that life isn't going well right now, but I understand.  Remember...you will get through this and you are strong!!! 

How was your visit with your therapist? 

...Thank you for supporting me in my time of need. :)... I am always here for you. 

Can we talk about happy things...YES.  I saw a beautiful rainbow today after we had a storm  Made me think about withdrawal.  Withdrawal is the storm and the feelings of recovery are the rainbow.  There are better times ahead for the both of us!!!

Hang in there Frogie and remember I am here for you!!!

I'm sure you are. I have a friend that has cancer. I pray for her but can't think about it.

I have ti think about myself and that I'm going to get better.

I'm is such a dark and dreary place right now, I don't know why. It might be the steroids that I took.

My therapist was very nice. It helped a lot. She is kind and caring.

I just need to find happy things in my life right now. I don't know where to start.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

Are you still taking the steroids?  Maybe once they are out of your body you will being to get out of your dark and dreary place.

Have you been able to do anything that will bring you joy or are you too upset?  Everyone on this forum always talks about keeping yourself busy and do something that distracts you.  I know that is very difficult when you are struggling, but maybe you could try something.  I don't like hearing that you are so down. 

I am glad that your therapist was nice.  When do you see her again?  Was she able to offer you any suggestions?

I understand about not knowing where to start to find happiness.  A friend of mine once told me to look for the joy in things and that will bring you happiness.  Like watching cute videos on you tube or watching children playing at the park.  I know it is hard because I have been in that dark and dreary place many times and it isn't fun. 

You are not alone in this journey!

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie, opiates such as oxycontin act on the CNS. If I were in your situation, I would wait to decrease dose of Lexapro until I was fully off of oxycontin.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Frogie, opiates such as oxycontin act on the CNS. If I were in your situation, I would wait to decrease dose of Lexapro until I was fully off of oxycontin.

Ok thanks Scallywag. I though I probably should but needed an opinion, and take yours very serious.

Thanks again.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

Are you still taking the steroids? Maybe once they are out of your body you will being to get out of your dark and dreary place.

Have you been able to do anything that will bring you joy or are you too upset? Everyone on this forum always talks about keeping yourself busy and do something that distracts you. I know that is very difficult when you are struggling, but maybe you could try something. I don't like hearing that you are so down.

I am glad that your therapist was nice. When do you see her again? Was she able to offer you any suggestions?

I understand about not knowing where to start to find happiness. A friend of mine once told me to look for the joy in things and that will bring you happiness. Like watching cute videos on you tube or watching children playing at the park. I know it is hard because I have been in that dark and dreary place many times and it isn't fun.

You are not alone in this journey!

Hi O2bhappy:

I'm done with the steroids.

My therapist didn't give me any suggestions. She hadn't read my chart yet. We just talked.

I've gotten to skype with my granddaughter the last 2 evenings. It's been great. I really miss her.

I'll get out of my funk, I always do. I just need to stop thinking so much.

I think some of it is the oxycodone too. I take it every now and then when I really hurt.

This last taper has been really tough because I pinched my nerve right in the middle of my taper. I'm supposed to taper this weekend, but I don't know if I should or not. I have a question out for a mod to answer me.

Some of my problem is I know we are going to move home, but not for a year or a little longer. My fiancé has a job waiting for him, but we have to finish some things around here so we can rent it out. I just wish it would hurry, but I understand too. He has to get his 5 years in with his job also so he will be vested. Just a LONG wait.

Thanks for being there. Love hearing your kind words and knowing you are genuinely here for me. You have no idea how that make me feel.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Mentor

hi Frogie, sorry to hear you are feeling so down! I hope that you start to feel better soon.
I always had a depressed kind of feeling after being on steroids, that might be it for you. It lifts in a short while and then you'll be back to your old self.

hang in there, friend

<3

Catnapt:

Thanks for stopping by, it makes me feel good to hear from you.

We think the dark and dreary are coming from the steroids too. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before I taper.

I have a good dr that is working with me, so I might as well wait and not have to go through anything I don't have too. Scallywag gave me good advice too.

I figure another week and I should feel better, but still giving it 2 weeks to be on the safe side.

Went to the chiropractor this morning. Only out in 1 little spot under my left shoulder blade. It just has to be where it tingles down my arm. Oh well, it too shall pass. I'm only going once a week now. I graduated lol...

Thanks for thinking of me. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

I am so glad to hear that you are done with the steroids.  I am sure you are happy to be off of them. 

How often are you going to the therapist?  I know that was your first visit with her and it takes time to get established with a new therapist.  Even if she hasn't offered any suggestions, it is still nice to have someone to talk with and that will listen. 

How wonderful to be able to Skype with your granddaughter.  I am sure she brighten you up even if it was for just that moment. 

I understand about thinking too much.  One thing that has helped me recently is trying to live my values.  I am trying to focus on what is important to me instead of what is wrong with me.  It is easier said then done.  Over the past 17 months all I have done is complain about how bad I have felt.  I realized that wasn't getting me anywhere so I decided to change my thinking.  It isn't always easy but I am trying. 

What symptoms do you think you are getting from taking the oxycodone? 

Do you have to taper this weekend or can you hold? 

I understand the wait is long, but it will be here before you know it.  I also understand how slow time moves when you are not feeling well.  I have had days where 10 minutes passed and I thought 2 hours had passed. 

---Thanks for being there. Love hearing your kind words and knowing you are genuinely here for me. You have no idea how that make me feel.---  You are very welcome.  I hope that I am helping you.  Just knowing that you are here for me helps me.  It is wonderful having this community where people know what you are truly going through. 

Frogie -

I am so glad to hear that you are done with the steroids.  I am sure you are happy to be off of them. 

How often are you going to the therapist?  I know that was your first visit with her and it takes time to get established with a new therapist.  Even if she hasn't offered any suggestions, it is still nice to have someone to talk with and that will listen. 

How wonderful to be able to Skype with your granddaughter.  I am sure she brighten you up even if it was for just that moment. 

I understand about thinking too much.  One thing that has helped me recently is trying to live my values.  I am trying to focus on what is important to me instead of what is wrong with me.  It is easier said then done.  Over the past 17 months all I have done is complain about how bad I have felt.  I realized that wasn't getting me anywhere so I decided to change my thinking.  It isn't always easy but I am trying. 

What symptoms do you think you are getting from taking the oxycodone? 

Do you have to taper this weekend or can you hold? 

I understand the wait is long, but it will be here before you know it.  I also understand how slow time moves when you are not feeling well.  I have had days where 10 minutes passed and I thought 2 hours had passed. 

---Thanks for being there. Love hearing your kind words and knowing you are genuinely here for me. You have no idea how that make me feel.---  You are very welcome.  I hope that I am helping you.  Just knowing that you are here for me helps me.  It is wonderful having this community where people know what you are truly going through.

Hi O2bhappy!

I have been off the steroids I think a week. I'm not taking the oxycodone and more. It takes the pain away, but you can get hooked on it very quickly. I don't need that.

I love to skype with my granddaughter. She is s 9. She just spits everything out, then says I'm done bye Grammie and hands the phone to her mom. It's funny. I really miss her. I'm 2 1/2 hours away from her. Unused to be 20 minutes.

I overthink all day long. I have no friends so I just sit and think. Not good for me.

My therapist can only see me once a week. Better than nothing. Do you see a therapist? How often?

I'm kinda in a crying mood today. Do you ever get like that? If so how do you stop?

Thanks for your kind words and for listening to me vent. It helps a lot.

Talk with you soon, I hope. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie -

Just stopping by your thread to see how you are doing. Hopefully you are feeling better and not in the crying mood . It is crazy how we are affected differently . I hear stories of people getting emotional and upset in my case I don't remember last time I cried I am more of numb emotionally . Sometimes I get a feeling of different emotions like anger or sympathy so I guess I am not completely numb .

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Frogie -

You are smart not to take the oxycodone.  I am sure that wouldn't be fun to taper.  Hopefully you can manage the pain without any medicine.

I am glad that you get to enjoy your time with our granddaughter, even if it is through Skype.  I love how kids just say what they want and when they are done they tell you. 

I totally understand about overthinking.  I have been there before.  I would get stuck on one thing and I would keep ruminating about it.  You have a friend in me and I am always hear for you. 

Yes I see a therapist.  I see her once a week.  I started seeing her Nov. 2015.  She has truly been a blessing to me. 

I completely understand the crying mood.  I actually woke up Monday and this morning in a crying mood.  I feel like that often and for no reason.  When it happens I try and get out of the house or do something to keep busy, but it isn't easy.  I refer to them as my blue days.  Then I have days I wake up and spend all day crying and nothing I do will stop it.  Very frustrating.

I am hoping you are not feeling as sad today.

Hugs!

Frogie -

You are smart not to take the oxycodone.  I am sure that wouldn't be fun to taper.  Hopefully you can manage the pain without any medicine.

I am glad that you get to enjoy your time with our granddaughter, even if it is through Skype.  I love how kids just say what they want and when they are done they tell you. 

I totally understand about overthinking.  I have been there before.  I would get stuck on one thing and I would keep ruminating about it.  You have a friend in me and I am always hear for you. 

Yes I see a therapist.  I see her once a week.  I started seeing her Nov. 2015.  She has truly been a blessing to me. 

I completely understand the crying mood.  I actually woke up Monday and this morning in a crying mood.  I feel like that often and for no reason.  When it happens I try and get out of the house or do something to keep busy, but it isn't easy.  I refer to them as my blue days.  Then I have days I wake up and spend all day crying and nothing I do will stop it.  Very frustrating.

I am hoping you are not feeling as sad today.

Hugs!

Hi. :)

My granddaughter is the love of my life. I don't know what I would do without her. She's so fun. It's a great age.

I had a crying day I think it was Tuesday. I don't know why, just couldn't stop.

I don't get the same therapist. I'm lucky to see 1 where I live. I live in a town of 600. I drive 16 miles to the next town of 3,000 and it's really hard to keep therapists here. They want to go to the cities that pay. I can't blame them.

In the town I drive to, there is a Safeway, 2 dollar stores and a shopko. And gas stations. Where I live there is an ace hardware, a really small grocery store, and 2 gas stations. I don't like it here at all. My fiancé will be at his job 5 years a year from this coming July. Then he has a job waiting where we moved from, he said we could move home. He better keep his word, I can't live out here much longer. I have no friends, except my across the street neighbor. And she has a lot of mental issues. I feel bad for her.

You can PM me and tell me where you live, I will PM you and tell you where I live, in HE**, lol.

It's nice talking to you.

Thanks I appreciated ate it. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Edited by JanCarol
Fix quote

Hi Frogie -

Just stopping by your thread to see how you are doing. Hopefully you are feeling better and not in the crying mood . It is crazy how we are affected differently . I hear stories of people getting emotional and upset in my case I don't remember last time I cried I am more of numb emotionally . Sometimes I get a feeling of different emotions like anger or sympathy so I guess I am not completely numb .

I'm doing better. Thanks...

I think it was the steroids and the oxycodone. I'm done, and don't feel like crying.

I hear people here say they can't cry, they have no emotions.

I hope someday you can, because actually it does help once in a while.

Thanks for stooping by. How are you doing?

Take care,

Frogie xx

To any mod:

I'm back to the nausea. Is that a "normal" side effect? I had it for almost 8 months, and thought I beat it. :(

I was on 2 rounds of steroids and oxycodone a few weeks ago for a pinched nerve. I'm still seeing a chiropractor for the nerve.

The last 3 days, I'm sick to my stomach, and I can't get warm. It's 70 degrees and I have 2 heavy blankets on and heavy clothes. I've had a really hard time with this taper. Maybe it's the steroids, or maybe my body doesn't like this amount?? I don't know...

I should be tapering this weekend, but I don't know what to do??

Thanks,

Frogie xx

Frogie. Without going all the way back through your thread it's hard to know from your signature where you are at right now. For me it is unclear. Is there any way of making it a little more user friendly ?  An update - clear and concise .

Nausea can be a side effect but also a withdrawal effect.

That is a lot of drugs to take for a " pinched nerve". My take on this now is that the body heals better and more organically without any drugs. When left to it's own devices - it heals naturally. It's only when impeded by POISON that it struggles. It is always trying to reach homeostasis.

In withdrawal we all have symptoms - hot /cold - nauseous , dizzy  etc ...  the list goes on  ..... everyone is different although there are many similarities.

If you have symptoms , then HOLD.  When you feel strong & symptom free - then taper again, slowly, slowly. 

The slowness of slow tapers

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Frogie. Without going all the way back through your thread it's hard to know from your signature where you are at right now. For me it is unclear. Is there any way of making it a little more user friendly ?  An update - clear and concise .

Nausea can be a side effect but also a withdrawal effect.

That is a lot of drugs to take for a " pinched nerve". My take on this now is that the body heals better and more organically without any drugs. When left to it's own devices - it heals naturally. It's only when impeded by POISON that it struggles. It is always trying to reach homeostasis.

In withdrawal we all have symptoms - hot /cold - nauseous , dizzy  etc ...  the list goes on  ..... everyone is different although there are many similarities.

If you have symptoms , then HOLD.  When you feel strong & symptom free - then taper again, slowly, slowly. 

The slowness of slow tapers

Ali

Hi AliG:

Scallywag updated my signature. Right now I'm on 7.3 ml liquid Lexapro. I take a 1mg Xanax 3 times a day.

Mag, krill oil, milk thistle, and I forgot I take a baby Asprin everyday. Oh and a probiotic.

My tears are happy tears. My daughter in law is on her way home already from a heart procedure. I haven't had any steroids or oxycodone for a week.

I just wonder if my body doesn't like this amount of taper. Maybe I would be better off tapering. If after a few days it doesn't go away, I can go back up for a couple more weeks.

Thanks soooo much for everything.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie

I've come up with a new version of your signature that keeps your current medications -- Xanax & Lexapro -- at the bottom of the list. This is only 9 lines (8 line breaks) so it should fit in your signature. When you change dose of Lexapro, just add it to the end, then remove the bolding on the previous dose.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations:  Zoloft, 1997 - 1999; switch to Paxil, 1999-2002 ___  
2009 - 2015: Gabapentin, 900mg, 2010-2015: tapered of 9 weeks, last dose Sept. 2015, no symptoms ___ Lamictal, 300 mg, 2009-2015, taper of 6 weeks, last dose Oct 2015, no symptoms __ Valium, 40 mg, 2008-2015, 8-week taper, last dose Dec 2015, no symptoms __
2016: Carafate 1mg (anti-ulcer med) 4x a day as needed. Prescribed but not taking it. ___ Prilosec 40mg; 28- Aug started 25% taper; 1-Oct 20mg a.m. + 15mg p.m. Stopped Nov 26, 2016 w/rebound acid but not too bad.
---CURRENT MEDICATIONS---
Supplements: 150 mg Mag chloride, 500mg Krill Oil, Milk Thistle, Probiotic
For nausea as needed: Zantac , 300mg only "as needed". Zofran 4mg for nausea; only take it when nausea is unbearable.
Xanax, 3 mg in 4 split doses, 2008-present
Lexapro: 2002 - March 2016: 20 mg; Mar-Apr 2016: 8 week taper 20 mg - 10 mg; 8-June 9mg; 13-June10 mg; 11-Sep 7.5 mg; 25-Sep 5 mg; 5 Oct 10mg; started taking Liquid Lexapro in Nov 2016; started taper with liquid 1-Jan-17 9mg; 22-Jan 8.1mg; 22-Feb 7.3 mg, 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Frogie

I've come up with a new version of your signature that keeps your current medications -- Xanax & Lexapro -- at the bottom of the list. This is only 9 lines (8 line breaks) so it should fit in your signature. When you change dose of Lexapro, just add it to the end, then remove the bolding on the previous dose.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Zoloft, 1997 - 1999; switch to Paxil, 1999-2002 ___ 2009 - 2015: Gabapentin, 900mg, 2010-2015: tapered of 9 weeks, last dose Sept. 2015, no symptoms ___ Lamictal, 300 mg, 2009-2015, taper of 6 weeks, last dose Oct 2015, no symptoms __ Valium, 40 mg, 2008-2015, 8-week taper, last dose Dec 2015, no symptoms __2016: Carafate 1mg (anti-ulcer med) 4x a day as needed. Prescribed but not taking it. ___ Prilosec 40mg; 28- Aug started 25% taper; 1-Oct 20mg a.m. + 15mg p.m. Stopped Nov 26, 2016 w/rebound acid but not too bad.---CURRENT MEDICATIONS---Supplements: 150 mg Mag chloride, 500mg Krill Oil, Milk Thistle, Probiotic For nausea as needed: Zantac , 300mg only "as needed". Zofran 4mg for nausea; only take it when nausea is unbearable.Xanax, 3 mg in 4 split doses, 2008-present Lexapro: 2002 - March 2016: 20 mg; Mar-Apr 2016: 8 week taper 20 mg - 10 mg; 8-June 9mg; 13-June10 mg; 11-Sep 7.5 mg; 25-Sep 5 mg; 5 Oct 10mg; started taking Liquid Lexapro in Nov 2016; started taper with liquid 1-Jan-17 9mg; 22-Jan 8.1mg; 22-Feb 7.3 mg,

Scallywag:

Thanks so much for helping me with this.

You are soooo kind.

Take care,

Frogie xx