SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

Hi Frogie-- I'm so sorry to hear that things are going so badly right now.  Unfortunately I don't know much  about PPIs so I can't be of much help there. I do know that the dose changes you've been making in the Lexapro have been very large and can be a big part of the problem. The jump back up to 10mg is big but should be workable. Adding the extra 5mg on to of that was probably not a god idea. I would stay at the 10mg and let things settle out for a couple of months before making any other changes. The extra 5mg might make things worse for a few days but that should settle out too.

The big thing is to try and relax and not worry about how you feel and let nature take her course.

(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))

I think the dr was tapering me too fast. But he wants to get it out of my liver. I was on 5mg Lexapro and took an extra 5mg this morning for a total of 10mg. Is that too big of a jump? I also took a 1mg Xanax to calm down. My stomach is horrible and having a lot of Gi issues.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Brass: the increase in your symptoms was caused by reducing Lexapro from 10 mg to 5 mg very fast. Probably less than 10 mg would help you but now since you started taking 10 mg stay with that dose for many months please. Avoid adding more Xanax.

It will take some time for things to settle down but they will. These symptoms are scary but we have to do our best to stay calm. Now you did what you could: updosed Lexapro. Your next priority is to try and calm yourself down. This is withdrawal, you addressed it with the updose and you will get better soon.

I will have to read through your thread but as far as I remember you have some liver problems that make your doctor want you decrease Lexapro fast?

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

How often are you nauseous? Has this increased, decreased, or stayed the same as you have reduced your stomach acid blockers?

The doctor gave you Carafate? This can also block absorption of drugs and nutrients. When do you take it, how much, how does it affect you?

Yes, you reduced Lexapro far too fast. You are getting withdrawal symptoms.

Frogie, we've told you over and over not to change two drugs at the same time. We also told you to wait on reducing the Lexapro. You are stil working on the omeprazoele. You need to let your system settle before making additional changes.

Lexapro has to be tapered very carefully. Read this again Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Stop making drug changes right now.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie,

adding Xanax is a slippery slope.  Luckily for you it has a short half-life and will be out of your system in a few day.  Once you are off all of the Xanax, you may never be able to take it again without getting withdrawal symptoms, so you need to find other ways to live with the panic and anxiety.  Xanax will only increase the anxiety, the short term gain is a drop in the bucket to the hardship of coming off of it.

Tingling is all withdrawal, just file it in your brain as a minor annoyance.  Muscles spasms can be helped with a warm bath or shower.  Just have a nice cry and let it all out, then tackle the rest of the day.

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

With all the jumping around in your dose it sounded like you took 15mg this morning. Your updosed 10mg plus an extra 5mg. Would you please update your signature so we can see what you're actually taking.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

How often are you nauseous? Has this increased, decreased, or stayed the same as you have reduced your stomach acid blockers?

The doctor gave you Carafate? This can also block absorption of drugs and nutrients. When do you take it, how much, how does it affect you?

Frogie, we've told you over and over not to change two drugs at the same time. We also told you to wait on reducing the Lexapro. You are stil working on the omeprazoele. You need to let your system settle before making additional changes.

Lexapro has to be tapered very carefully. Read this again Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I know that I wasn't supposed to taper off 2 meds at the same time but the dr has been pushing me because of my liver. I'm telling him I'm staying at 10mg lexapro until my prilosec is taken care of. I just freaked out and didn't know what to do. He did give me carafate I've taken it twice and it made me feel really bloated so I don't know if I should take it again. I have Zofran but haven't taken it.I hope I did the right thing and went back up to 10mg lexapro

I only took 10mg lexapro this morning

I took 5mg and an extra 5mg

I'm back on 10mg Lexapro and not let the dr tell me different. How long will it take to feel better do you think?

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie - you've only been here just over a month.

Prior to that month, you fast-tapered off Gabapentin, Lamictal and Valium

Then you tried to drop your Lexapro down to 9, but it was unbearable.

In the Month + that you've been here, you've worked on the zofran, zantac and prilosec.  You were advised not to drop your Lexapro (which is having only a nominal effect on your liver) until you had gotten your nausea under control

But you listened to your doctor (who seems to think that lexapro is more dangerous on your liver, for whatever reason) who would rather you go into total destabilised withdrawal by tapering a dangerous drug too fast. 

If you freaked out at 9 mg, is it any wonder that you lost it at 7.5 mg, then "chucked a wobbly" at 5 mg?  ("chucked a wobbly" is an Australian technical term.  It means what it sounds like!)

What has happened here, is by bouncing your dose (fast drop & reinstate) you have probably delayed the time it will take to get off Lexapro, because now you may be in for another 3 month wait before you should even consider tapering Lexapro again.

We can't tell you much until we see that your symptoms are settled, then we'll have a clearer idea what is best for you.  Have you read through the list of symptoms, to see that it can get much, much worse if you taper the Lexapro too quickly?

Please leave the Lexapro alone.  It is a tiger, and you don't want to pull its tail and get its attention.  Better to leave it alone (hold) while you deal with the environment around it (nutrition, stomach issues, etc.)

This is the 3rd time this link has been posted in your thread.  Please read it:

Health Anxiety, Hypochondria, and Obsession with Symptoms

Additionally, please find at least one technique that you can use when you get all worked up.  

Have you tried the yoga for nausea?  Can you do some of that while you are still in bed?  Yoga for Nausea - Allannah at YogaYin

Have you tried listening to Claire Weekes?

Dr. Claire Weekes - Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Please, you need to build up your toolkit, because we cannot be there with you as you experience what you are experiencing in your body.  We're internet people, thousands of miles apart.  We don't have a clinic.

If you wish to be successful at getting off the Lexapro, you need to learn patience, distraction, acceptance, and develop a toolkit of Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms.

It does get better, it has gotten better for nearly everyone who has reduced or eliminated their drugs.  I don't know of many who would  go back, once they start to come back to life and health.  But it cannot be rushed, just as a broken leg cannot be told to heal.  It needs rest and time. 

So do you.   

Stop counting, start breathing.  And breathe some more.  Your breath is your friend - especially with the liver hymangioma and resulting stomach problems.  Long, slow, deep breathing is the surest way to calm your system down.  One last suggestion for a non-drug technique - it may help you immensely to calm your vagus nerve (it connects your gut & endocrine to your brain, via your heart and lungs - it's why breathing and humming is so excellent).

How long does it take?  As long as it takes.  Instead of working yourself up, you need to start putting practices in place to soothe your distress.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

Frogie, I have to confess, I'm completely confused about what you're doing and your symptoms.

Stop changing your drugs now and keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Then, after a few days, please answer the questions I posted yesterday (and have asked before):

We can't answer your questions without knowing exactly what drugs you're taking and your symptom pattern, over several days.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

"We can't answer your questions without knowing exactly what drugs you're taking and your symptom pattern, over several days."

This link explains what is needed:  Keep notes on paper

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

"We can't answer your questions without knowing exactly what drugs you're taking and your symptom pattern, over several days."

This link explains what is needed:  Keep notes on paper

I'm taking notes over the weekend.

Thanks...

Frogie, I have to confess, I'm completely confused about what you're doing and your symptoms.

Stop changing your drugs now and keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Then, after a few days, please answer the questions I posted yesterday (and have asked before):

We can't answer your questions without knowing exactly what drugs you're taking and your symptom pattern, over several days.

I was stupid and listened to the dr. I have gone back up to 10mg Lexapro, and not moving.

I am taking notes this weekend and will let you know what's going on. I can tell you the last 2 mornings I have woke up very nauseous before my feet even hit the floor.

I'm taking notes over the weekend and will answer your questions the 1st of next week. I can tell you that the last 2 mornings, before my feet hit the floor I'm nauseous. I changed my signature page and am not touching any of my meds for quite a while. I said "It takes as long as it takes". my body will know what to do.

I've moved your post to your Introduction topic so that all questions and responses about your situation will be in one place. The pace of decreases is slower than what is suggested in the first post of the Tapering PPI thread. Regardless of our suggestion in the first post of that topic, the rate of decrease may be too fast for you. Are you keeping notes on paper of your symptoms? To track down whether this is withdrawal or something else, a symptom diary is the tool of choice. Here's a post about the kind of notes that are most helpful:Take notes of doses and symptoms

I'm taking notes over the weekend. I will post the 1st of the week on my symptoms. I can tell you the last 2 mornings before my feet hit the floor I'm nauseous.

Hi everyone:

I need to tell everyone something here and I really hope everyone listens to me. It's really important.

I tapered Lexapro 20mg to 10mg in 6 weeks. Then in August 2016, I tried to go down to 9mg and got very sick. That's when I found SA.

The Drs were all wanting me to get off my meds fast because I have a hemangioma on my liver and it's very "clogged" up from being on meds for years. I have found since that I will be ok, it can't turn into cancer. I talked to a very good liver dr in New York.

Altostrata told me how to taper my meds, Prilosec 1st (you can read my profile). I started on the Prilosec and it makes you nauseous, having rebound stomach acid, but tums, Maalox and Gaviscon really helps. In the meantime, the Drs were pushing me to get off Lexapro. On 9-11-16 I went down to 7.5mg and on 9-25-16 I went down to 5mg. On 10-5-16, I had a HUGE meltdown.

Everyone here came to my rescue (by the way thank you). I learned a very valuable lesson. Don't listen to the Drs. They only know what the drug reps tell them about these drugs. I was told that "Lexapro is a tiger and don't pull its tail". Well, boy isn't that the truth!

I have been soooo nauseous and out of it since this happened. And I don't know how long it will last.

I have since gone back to 10mg Lexapro and staying there for quite a few months. I'm taking my time on the Prilosec taper also.

Please, listen to the moderators here. They know what they are doing, and I would have never gone through all of this if I had just listened. And they told me more than once.

"I'm taking as long as it takes".

Thanks again...

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your comments about following the suggestions offered at Surviving Antidepressants.

For now, I've moved your post from the thread you started in the Tapering forum to your intro thread, while I figure out where to put it.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks for your comments about following the suggestions offered at Surviving Antidepressants.

For now, I've moved your post from the thread you started in the Tapering forum to your intro thread, while I figure out where to put it.

Ok thanks. I just wanted people to know what I'm going through and to listen, you guys really know what you are doing.

By the way, still nauseous in the morning and feel funky, don't know how else to put it. But did go to Walmart yesterday with my fiancé and neighbor and out to lunch, so making some progress. I just need to get out. Stop sitting in the house does me no good. 

Thanks for everything, I really mean it

Frogie. Please post your notes and then we can get on with this and help you. You don't have to wait a week - just post daily , for now. Is your drug history signature up to date ?

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Frogie. Please post your notes and then we can get on with this and help you. You don't have to wait a week - just post daily , for now. Is your drug history signature up to date ?

Ali

I posted under scallywag's comments. And did update my drugs. 

Thanks for helping me. :)

• Administrator

What time do you take Lexapro? Given you seem to be nauseous in the morning, you might gradually move the Prilosec to the evening -- BUT do not take it at the same time you take Lexapro, it can block absorption.

Please answer these questions, asked for the fourth time:

As you have been on PPIs for a long time, and now Carafate, you may be low in B vitamins. Older people have this problem a lot. This can affect nerves and sensitivity to withdrawal. Do you take a multivitamin with B vitamins in it? Do you take B vitamins separately?

What time do you take Lexapro? Given you seem to be nauseous in the morning, you might gradually move the Prilosec to the evening -- BUT do not take it at the same time you take Lexapro, it can block absorption.

Please answer these questions, asked for the fourth time:

As you have been on PPIs for a long time, and now Carafate, you may be low in B vitamins. Older people have this problem a lot. This can affect nerves and sensitivity to withdrawal. Do you take a multivitamin with B vitamins in it? Do you take B vitamins separately?

I take my Lexapro around 6am. I take the rest of my meds about 1/2 later. 

I am nauseous everyday. It's the same since the 1st taper on Prilosec. I open my eyes and am immediately nauseous. Like morning sickness but I'm not pregnant I know that for a fact. I'm in my 50's, and other reasons. The nausea is usually gone by late morning, but all morning. Before my feet hit the floor.

I have taken Carafate twice and it was 2 hours after I took my other meds. It kinda helped with the nausea, but made me feel really bloated.

I can't take a multi vitamin or B vitamins at all, they make me too hyper and feel like I'm crawling out of my skin.  Even vitamin D does that. I'm taking vitamin E and milk thistle for my liver. I'm holding on Lexapro for a few months, not going through that again. I saw an excel spreadsheet where you could weigh your meds on a scale but can't find it now. I would like to have it for the Prilosec. I'm staying on this dosage for a month though, then I'll go down. I figured that will stabilize this dosage, I will be on it almost 8 weeks then. 

I can move my Prilosec to the evening. I only take a Xanax in the evening if I need one.

Still really sick to my stomach this morning. Feel like I could vomit! Looking back on the calendar, I have been having morning sickness since I cut my Lexapro. Can I go up on it or is it too late? I can't take this anymore!

I can't edit my quote. Now I am doubled over stomach cramping. My hands are tingling and my thighs are very tight again. My liver ct scan was in June and if I remember right they had me tapering Lexapro before that.

• Administrator

Has your pattern of nausea changed since you reduced your acid blockers?

Please do your best to answer these questions exactly as they are stated.

I have had morning sickness since they tapered my Lexapro to 10mg.

I know that my nausea is worse since tapering my omeprazole.

The dr has fought for liquid and the insurance won't budge. What does it mean to bridge over to Prozac? Is that something that would help me?

• Administrator

I thought you were taking 10mg Lexapro?

Do you take Lexapro before or after the nausea starts? Does the nausea get worse or better after you take Lexapro in the morning?

I don't know if a substitution of Prozac would help. Read this The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

Prozac has an even stronger effect on liver enzymes than Lexapro. Citalopram is a close relative of Lexapro with a gentler effect. See Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

I am concerned that Prilosec or Carafate or both are affecting absorption of Lexapro. This could have the effect of reducing your dose and bringing on withdrawal symptoms.

When was the last time you took Carafate?

I thought you were taking 10mg Lexapro?

Do you take Lexapro before or after the nausea starts? Does the nausea get worse or better after you take Lexapro in the morning?

I don't know if a substitution of Prozac would help. Read this The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

Prozac has an even stronger effect on liver enzymes than Lexapro. Citalopram is a close relative of Lexapro with a gentler effect. See Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

I am concerned that Prilosec or Carafate or both are affecting absorption of Lexapro. This could have the effect of reducing your dose and bringing on withdrawal symptoms.

When was the last time you took Carafate?

I take the Lexapro after my nauseous starts. It stays about the same until I take the omeprazole. Then the nausea gets worse.

If I switched to Prozac would I have to take it as long as WD from Lexapro? And for how long?

I've tried celexa before and it gave me horrible side effects, like crawling out of my skin.

The last time I took carafate I believe was wed.

I have been doing some weighing of my Lexapro. When I cut the 20mg tablets in 1/2 where it's scored one part weighs 144g and the other part weighs around 109-114g. I just did that last night. I thought the 2 halves would weigh the same. Could that be making me sick? Should I go back to 20mg Lexapro and start over?

I just know I can't be sick like this all the time! :(

I could call the dr and ask for 10mg Lexapro. He might fight me though.

• Administrator

Yes, inconsistent dosing because of uneven tablets cuts could be causing withdrawal symptoms.

Yes, you should ask for 10mg Lexapro tablets. Why would you doctor fight you? He knows you're taking 10mg Lexapro.

It is possible your nausea gets worse after a half-hour because that's when the Lexapro starts to be absorbed.

Did you read the link I gave you about switching to Prozac?

How much Celexa did you take? How did you make the switch from Lexapro to Celexa? How long did you take Celexa?

Yes, inconsistent dosing because of uneven tablets cuts could be causing withdrawal symptoms.

Yes, you should ask for 10mg Lexapro tablets. Why would you doctor fight you? He knows you're taking 10mg Lexapro.

It is possible your nausea gets worse after a half-hour because that's when the Lexapro starts to be absorbed.

Did you read the link I gave you about switching to Prozac?

How much Celexa did you take? How did you make the switch from Lexapro to Celexa? How long did you take Celexa?

Yes he knows I'm cutting the 20's in half. So I'm taking 10mg.

I read the link, I don't think I'm interested in bridging. I thought it was easy, but obviously not.

My old psychiatrist switched me from Lexapro to Celexa. I remember taking them both and cutting back on the Lexapro. I was on Celexa maybe a week by itself when I couldn't do it. She had me immediately stop the Celexa and back on Lexapro I went. Then I was fine.

• Administrator

I do believe it's the Lexapro that's causing you to be nauseous, and this is related to your liver. Your doctor should have stopped it long ago, before overdosing you with stomach acid blockers to compensate.

Switching to another SSRI might stop the nausea. I don't know how it would affect your liver. Could be you are a poor metabolizer via the liver enzymes utilized by Lexapro and Celexa:

https://livertox.nlm.nih.gov/CitalopramEscitalopram.htm

Mechanism of Injury

The mechanism by which citalopram and escitalopram cause liver injury is not known.  Citalopram and escitalopram are extensively metabolized by the liver, mainly via the cytochrome P450 system (CYP 3A4, 2D6 and 2C19) and hepatotoxicity may be mediated by toxic intermediates of their metabolism.

Per http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00472, Prozac is a strong inhibitor of cyp 2D6 and has effects on 3A4 and 2C19, too, so it's hard to see how that would be an advantage for your liver.

Zoloft http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01104uses 3A4. Luvox http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00176 utilizes 1A2, a different enzyme.

Switching to any SSRI would entail the same risk of the substitution not working to forestall withdrawal syndrome. And, it might not be a liver enzyme traffic jam that's causing the liver symptoms.

So, you're back to the position of having to go off Lexapro, one way or the other. A direct taper might be the best choice.

If I were you, I would get 5mg tablets with instructions to take 2 a day (your doctor has to write the prescription like this). Then you can use the instructions in Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram) to make a liquid from a 5mg tablet (or your leftover 20mg tablets).

You would take 5mg per day in tablet form and the rest in liquid form. Dividing the doses by a few hours might not trigger the nausea -- but the Lexapro will still affect your liver, so there are no guarantees about this.

Given you have the liver symptoms and nausea, you might try tapering by 5% per week, for a total of about 20% per month. This is faster than our usual taper, but you are having adverse reactions that justify the risk.

I do believe it's the Lexapro that's causing you to be nauseous, and this is related to your liver. Your doctor should have stopped it long ago, before overdosing you with stomach acid blockers to compensate.

Switching to another SSRI might stop the nausea. I don't know how it would affect your liver. Could be you are a poor metabolizer via the liver enzymes utilized by Lexapro and Celexa:

https://livertox.nlm.nih.gov/CitalopramEscitalopram.htm

Mechanism of Injury

The mechanism by which citalopram and escitalopram cause liver injury is not known. Citalopram and escitalopram are extensively metabolized by the liver, mainly via the cytochrome P450 system (CYP 3A4, 2D6 and 2C19) and hepatotoxicity may be mediated by toxic intermediates of their metabolism.

Per http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00472, Prozac is a strong inhibitor of cyp 2D6 and has effects on 3A4 and 2C19, too, so it's hard to see how that would be an advantage for your liver.

Zoloft http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01104uses 3A4. Luvox http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00176 utilizes 1A2, a different enzyme.

Switching to any SSRI would entail the same risk of the substitution not working to forestall withdrawal syndrome. And, it might not be a liver enzyme traffic jam that's causing the liver symptoms.

So, you're back to the position of having to go off Lexapro, one way or the other. A direct taper might be the best choice.

If I were you, I would get 5mg tablets with instructions to take 2 a day (your doctor has to write the prescription like this). Then you can use the instructions in Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram) to make a liquid from a 5mg tablet (or your leftover 20mg tablets).

You would take 5mg per day in tablet form and the rest in liquid form. Dividing the doses by a few hours might not trigger the nausea -- but the Lexapro will still affect your liver, so there are no guarantees about this.

Given you have the liver symptoms and nausea, you might try tapering by 5% per week, for a total of about 20% per month. This is faster than our usual taper, but you are having adverse reactions that justify the risk.

I asked the dr about splitting the 20mg Lexapro in 1/2 and why they weigh different. He said manufacturers never make pills equal in 1/2 and he didn't know why. He said that's probably why I've been sick so much, up and down in dosageses. He gave me 10mg Lexapro and said I should feel better soon. When I'm ready for the 5mg he will give that to me but didn't want to write the prescription for 2-5mg a day. Now that we know what has been going on, hopefully this will do it.

I was on Zoloft years ago, and it did absolutely nothing for me except make the top of my head tingle.

I'm going to stay on the dosage of Prilosec 1 more week, and then drop it down. It should be down to almost nothing. I got some DGL, Maalox and Gaviscon so I should be ok. I'm taking Vitamin E and Milk Thistle per the dr. Believe it or not, my liver stopped hurting over the weekend! Hopefully it will stop hurting :)

Does Apple Cider Vinegar work when you are trying to go off Prilosec or is it just a gimmick?