16 posts in this topic

If you have a movement disorder (Tardive Dyskinesia , Dystonia,  Akathisia, Myoclonus etc.), that you believe was caused by Effexor XR (or made worse by this drug), you are eligible to join a multi plaintiff lawsuit now forming. To join this lawsuit, please message me on this forum, or email me at effexortd@gmail.com. For US residents only.

Posted by permission of Group Admin for informational purposes. 

Posting does not necessarily signify Group endorsement.

Hi Kay what is the knowledge base on this issue?  Are you the go to person?  Have you heard of people getting a movement disorder years after taking and stopping E that was because of Effexor?  I had some problems with movement that is why I was taken off Effexor by a neurologist years later I seem to be hit by a full blown movement disorder.  

I am not a citizen of the USA and so am not checking the link I am however interested in the issues I present above.  Please tell me what you know or redirect me. 

Thanks B

Hello btdt,

So sorry to hear about your movement disorder. I have myself a neck spasm condition. Into my eighth year. I've just begun to taper the Effexor. For years I thought the problem was due to stuffed emotions.

I read your history, if you quit Effexor cold turkey, that could be a cause of the movement disorder years later. Of course I'm just saying based on what I've learned. I have heard of people having symptoms come up after getting off the med. Very scary. One tool could be to try reintroducing the Effexor? I don't know. Neither does anyone else really.

I'm not the go to person, that would be someone named Mark Dikstein. We have a large group on facebook with some outside of US, some information there you might find useful: Tardive Dyskinesia/Dystonia Lawsuit is the name of the group you can search it and ask to join on facebook. So sorry about the illness. Don't give up. For me, I do many things with exercise and diet to strengthen my health, as I slowly taper off the med. That's the best course I've found.

Kay and BTDT, I noticed that Kay gives Ecaudor as her location. Does that mean non-US residents can participate?

Hi westcoast, this lawsuit (planned) is for US residents only, I am a US resident though living outside the US. If you believe you would be an eligible plaintiff, please email me at the address in my post. Currently I have five people, you would make us six. I am working on gathering at least 20 people to entice a law firm to agree to take our case.

Eligibility would be any movement disorder you believe to be caused by Effexor XR, or made worse by it. You would also need to be able to document your illness, drug dosages, treatments for legal purposes.

I am still hunting for more people to join with me in attempting to file a lawsuit to sue the drug company Pfizer. If you are a US resident (I am but living outside US currently), and have experienced movement disorder, or I believe also nerve pain since that's related, you believe is from taking Effexor XR, you would be an eligible plaintiff. Please message me here to let me know you would like to be added to the list of plaintiffs, or message me privately. The more plaintiffs, the stronger the lawsuit. So I need your help.

Yes. I feel this is an important civic duty. 

I took Effexor ER for over 10 years.

I was diagnosed in May with serotonin toxicity after 5 months of off the charts neurological pain.

I have dystonic symptoms -- muscle rigidity and had them the entire time I was on Effexor and before that other SSRI/SNRIs. I still have that on and off.

I have on again off again Parkinsonian movement issues -- my whole body wobbles, or I can't rely on auto-pilot for simple movements.

I've become a person who drops things every day, all day long. My right hand just doesn't work as well as it used to.

Low exertion repetitive movements, like walking, operating gas/brake pedals, writing, typing can cause muscle spasms and neuropathic pain.

I have loss of fine sensation awareness.

I have wide spread neuropathic pain.

I have been recently diagnosed with Central Pain Syndrome, a form of brain damage.

I am still tapering, but that came to a standstill about a month ago and I am waiting patiently at 22 mg for a time when I can reduce the daily dose of poison.

Money would be nice. This year, thanks to Effexor, I have earned less than $3000 in income. 

But more importantly, my hope would be that a lawsuit would bring awareness to the medical community about the devastating consequences that taking this drug can have. I am appalled by the general lack of awareness in the medical community. 

Please send me a private message about how to join in.

Thank you for your response FeralUrban. I'm so glad you found my post. I'll PM you.  I hope your post will help others here to come forward and join us also. Gathering a large number of plaintiffs is very helpful in a lawsuit.

I am relatively stable currently having tapered from 75mg Venlafaxine XR to currently 62mg Venlafaxine (31mg 2xs per day). I am looking forward to my next reduction, this coming Thursday, to 59mg, having been at 62 for 10 weeks. It seems I will be stepping down 5% at a time, holding each time for 6-7 weeks. We'll see. Also some mild instances of lessening of Dystonia, hoping for full recovery as I taper. I'm also journaling my daily progress and activities, and plan to publish it in ebook form for anyone who wants to follow my path. 

When you post Venlafaxine ER is that the same as XR (extended release) or something different I haven't heard of?

Effexor XR and venlafaxine ER. Took em both.

I've emailed you.

I'm wondering why you haven't gotten more responses?  

Hello btdt,

So sorry to hear about your movement disorder. I have myself a neck spasm condition. Into my eighth year. I've just begun to taper the Effexor. For years I thought the problem was due to stuffed emotions.

I read your history, if you quit Effexor cold turkey, that could be a cause of the movement disorder years later. Of course I'm just saying based on what I've learned. I have heard of people having symptoms come up after getting off the med. Very scary. One tool could be to try reintroducing the Effexor? I don't know. Neither does anyone else really.

I'm not the go to person, that would be someone named Mark Dikstein. We have a large group on facebook with some outside of US, some information there you might find useful: Tardive Dyskinesia/Dystonia Lawsuit is the name of the group you can search it and ask to join on facebook. So sorry about the illness. Don't give up. For me, I do many things with exercise and diet to strengthen my health, as I slowly taper off the med. That's the best course I've found.

I went off  E cold turkey by a neurologist years ago because my one leg was dragging and my head was dropping to my chest whenever at odd times.  He tried to switch me to another snri and it did not work.... I could not tolerate it I tried going back on E at the time my body rejected it in way of projectile vomit... my gut was wrecked by then. He tied other drugs mirapex lyrica none worked for me... I suffered.. long and hard for years and years. That was how it went... for me and it is now 7 days away from my 9 year anniversary this May I started with a movement disorder. All these years in between my leg has not be right my body has had pain you know the old fibro thing... chronic fatigue it has now been moved up a category to mcs multiply chemical sensitivity and a movement disorder... another name another year this had been going on now since 1990 when I first too prozac.... one disorder disease after the other. 

I am not in the USA and not on facebook.... and not going to be either. I do not need to make it easy for pharma to track me not that I really think I am safe from them I don't.... but why spoon feed them.  It is bad enough I have been finding article for them for years so they could make them disappear... nope I am not playing any longer.  Money is not going to fix this... I don't think anything is going to fix this. 

Just my take on things now almost nine years later... 

I hope you all find some peace where you are right now cause this entire experience is severely lacking in peace... 

So sorry to hear your tragic tale btdt. Thanks for sharing it here.

There is something about the words "tragic tale" that rings of dismissive disrespect as tale can mean it is not true is not my reality day in day out as such is dismissive. I don't like it but like so many other things I don't like it is what it is... you are who you are...I will take note of your response and remember it in any further posts I read from you.  

peace all

I'm terribly sorry btdt. You're right it does sound dismissive. I certainly didn't mean that. I understand these illnesses are very difficult. I hope you can forgive my bad phrasing. 

I will keep you all in my prayers that you see justice.  Because I was put on generic tricyclic antidepressants, I am unable to sue for my movement disorder.  I also tried to sue my doctor, and no luck there, either.

We don't have a good justice system, but every once in while, justice happens.  I hope it happens for all of you.  Those meds RUINED my life.

I'm so sorry for your difficulties WiggleIt. And thank you for your support. I hope we will have some success, we will see.

LAWSUIT UPDATE

This lawsuit is NOT moving forward, since we were unable to find a law firm to take our case. We had just over 10 plaintiffs with movement disorders, which if we'd had a larger number of plaintiffs all with same condition, maybe would have been a more viable suit a firm would be willing to take, I don't know.

There are lawsuits being attempted for Effexor regarding birth defects. For news on lawsuits you can go to this site: classaction.org, and sign up for the email list.