SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Altostrata

Did you have the same symptoms when you took 25mg mag citrate/glycinate?

If not, that might be your upper tolerance. You may be able to take more later on.

Mag oxide is not very well absorbed.

Yes, I still had same symptoms even at 25mg.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Administrator

Well, no more magnesium for you! At least for a while.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

http://drcarolyndean.com/magnesium_miracle/

The Magnesium Miracle

Carolyn Dean MD ND

....all the metabolic processes in the body, ALL OF THEM, depend on vitamins and minerals, which act as necessary co-factors. Magnesium itself is a co-factor and responsible for the function of 325 enzymes; is an absolute requirement for calcium to be incorporated into bone; keeps toxic chemicals out of the brain; dances with calcium to create nerve impulses and muscle impulses; keeps muscles relaxed, including the heart and blood vessels, and triggers dozens of health conditions if it is deficient.

The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for magnesium is between 350 and 400 milligrams per day, which is just enough to ward off outright deficiency. But for optimal health and for the twenty-two conditions that are triggered by magnesium deficiency, perhaps twice as much magnesium is needed. One of the highest sources of magnesium is kelp, but one tsp. only has about 30 milligrams. One tablespoon of almonds has 33 milligrams. Because we probably don’t get nearly enough magnesium from out diet we have to investigate magnesium supplements.

I use several types of magnesium. However, I stopped using magnesium oxide in 2005 when I read a study that showed only 4 percent of the oxide form of magnesium is absorbed. That’s why magnesium oxide is a great laxative but if you want to stock up on magnesium you need to use other forms. I use magnesium citrate and magnesium taurate and also spray on magnesium oil after a shower. Magnesium oil is supersaturated magnesium chloride and because it’s used topically it doesn’t cause a laxative effect. And I find it really does work. I seem to have a very high requirement for magnesium and to get enough by mouth I can have a laxative reaction—but if I use magnesium oil, I only need to take half the amount of magnesium by mouth and therefore avoid loose stools.

You also have read labels when you buy magnesium products. For example a label may say magnesium taurate, or magnesium citrate, or magnesium glycinate, 500 milligrams, but when you look at the fine print on the back of the bottle you will notice the actual amount of magnesium is much less. The actual amount of magnesium in 500 mg of magnesium glycinate is 50 mg. Companies that make chelated minerals like magnesium glycinate and magnesium taurate claim that chelates are more readily absorbed. That may be the case, but how you tell is if they have less of a laxative effect....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I think I'll roast my pumpkin seed this year!!!Top ten foods packed with magnesium:

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• 4 weeks later...

I have great success with a magnesium supplement in lessoning gabapentin withdrawal to a tolerable level, I'm thinking that we know some vitamins and minerals are leached out of the boldy as a result of taking High doses of gabapentin and other medication,

Magnesium worked so well in eliminating 90% of the withdrawal I experienced from gabapentin taper, I wondering if the same thing is true with other drugs like benzos and prozac that when we begin to taper off these drugs our bodies have such magnesium a deficite that the chemical recepters in the brain are unable to find enough magnesium to restore the bodies chemical balance.

Has any one tried a magnesium supplement for benzo withdrawal or prozac withdrawal to see if the magnesium lessons or eliminates the withdrawal?

With hope

• 2 weeks later...

I currently take magnesium l-threonate, which is supposed to cross the blood brain barrier more effectively. I have noticed a benefit but it is very expensive.

I also have taken chelated magnesium, which is supposed to be better absorbed in ones' small intestine. It is pretty affordable, and I find it does help.

I have heard to avoid magnesium glutamate and aspartate, as they break down into glutamine and aspartic acid, which are activating neurotransmitters I think.

On 20 mg Celexa for 7 years for insomnia and GAD

Tapered from 20 mg to 0 from Aug 2011 to Dec 2nd 2011

Used Xanax intermittently over the past 7 years, and through WD.

Started 50 mgs Trazodone in June but am starting to taper off due to bad eye twitching, suspected Trazodone is the cause. Went to 25 mg in October and then 12.5 in December and then 0mg on Dec 20th.

Reinstated citalopram at 10 mgs on Nov 26th, then up to 20 mgs on Dec 3rd. Started kindling reaction on Dec 10th. Decided a very quick taper to 10 mgs for a 2 days and then 5mgs for a 2 more. Holding at 2.5 mg and beginning to stabilize. Reinstated trazodone to 12.5 mgs.

Hi Alto, I've been searching the net for information in regards to magnesium and came acrost this web page: http://www.jigsawhealth.com/supplements/magnesium

Magnesium has done so much for me in such a short time, the best I have felt in a long time however it is difficult to find a magnesium supplement taken through the GI tract which doesn't cause irritation of the GI especially at higher levels.

I have found that taking around 750 mg magnesium per day get's rid of all my aches and pains even pain from nerve damage and no withdrawal from the gabapentin I stoped taking, off the gabapentin for 22 days. I feel so good but the consequenses of this high amount is diarea and so I can not sustain this level.

While taking lower amounts of magnesium, 300 mg. I can sustain this amount of supplemented magnesium but at this level I experience some pain and still experience some withdrawal symptoms from gabapentin. Still I can tolerate what little withdrawal there is but I have seen what higher doses of magnesium can do and I'm convinced I should be taking 750 mg.

My diet has been lousy for a long time, mainly processed foods, I am changing this but my magnesium reserves have been sorely depleted over many years (20 years or more)

The sustained release magnesium claims to have solved the problem of GI irritation.

Wishing you well.

Edited by Altostrata
fixed link

• Administrator

Yes, magnesium has many benefits few realize!

Thank you for the link.

The Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT contains in each tablet (they say to take 4 per day):

• 1.25mg P5P (a strong form of vitamin B6)

For some people, vitamin B6, especially in the P5P form, might cause anxiety.

• 50mcg Metafolin (a highly absorbable form of folate, the same as Deplin)

For some people this might cause anxiety.

• 125mg dimagnesium malate

This is the magnesium part.

• 387.5mg malic acid

Malic acid is supposed to have some healing qualities on its own, and is touted (with magnesium) for fibromyalgia. I don't know much about it.

A bottle of 240 Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT tablets costs $39.97, which is quite expensive for those ingredients, which are readily available separately.

My policy on mixed supplements is that if your system is hypersensitive, when you take a mixed supplement and have a bad reaction, you won't know which ingredient gave you the bad reaction. This supplement contains 2 B vitamins that can cause anxiety; a lot of people with withdrawal syndrome react badly to B vitamin supplements.

I would not recommend it for people who are tapering or have withdrawal syndrome. I'd suggest buying magnesium maleate and malic acid separately and taking small amounts of the magnesium throughout the day, if necessary by cutting tablets up. (Personally, initially I could tolerate only 50mg-75mg magnesium at a time. I worked up to 100mg with no problem.)

I like the idea of sustained-release magnesium but for people sensitized by withdrawal, I don't think this is the right product.

I've decided to give 240 Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT a try, purchased through Amazon for $30.59 total. I'll go slow and relate my experience.

The ionic fizz Magnesium pluss 60 day supply (Pure essence labs) about $30.00 on amazon is a mixed supplement with too many add ins to mention (magnesium carbonate) and per serving 300 mg. magnesium, I take on an empty stomach and I tolerate it pretty well. But I have found that my withdrawal symptoms from the gabapentin start to show up a couple of hours before bedtime. Decided on this one as opposed to others, the vitamins and minerals which tend to be leached out of the body useing gabapentin were all contained in this product.

Probably not very scientific.

I've been taking 150 mg. at bedtime and if I eat some ice cream as a late night snack I sleep better.

I was desperate to lessen the withdrawal from the gabapentin, basically I took the magnesium (out of desperation) thought I was going to be stuck on gabapentin for the rest of my life. As I had not yet found this forum but put bits and peices together from the other forums where I read about gabapentin withdrawal and there was only magnesium as an indication of any hope of lessoning or eliminating the withdrawal.

Knowing how to taper off of these drugs I think is the NO. 1 most important piece of information to have, without that you can get lost pretty fast.

Amazing how fast the magnesium worked. my doctor really had no comment about the ionic fizz. magnesium supplement. She read the contents on the label out loud and that was it. Kinda disapointing that my doctor didn't have anything to say or provide support of any kind. It's as if she left me to fend for myself.

May you be well.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, magnesium has many benefits few realize!

Thank you for the link.

The Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT contains in each tablet (they say to take 4 per day):

• 1.25mg P5P (a strong form of vitamin B6)

For some people, vitamin B6, especially in the P5P form, might cause anxiety.

• 50mcg Metafolin (a highly absorbable form of folate, the same as Deplin)

For some people this might cause anxiety.

• 125mg dimagnesium malate

This is the magnesium part.

• 387.5mg malic acid

Malic acid is supposed to have some healing qualities on its own, and is touted (with magnesium) for fibromyalgia. I don't know much about it.

A bottle of 240 Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT tablets costs $39.97, which is quite expensive for those ingredients, which are readily available separately.

My policy on mixed supplements is that if your system is hypersensitive, when you take a mixed supplement and have a bad reaction, you won't know which ingredient gave you the bad reaction. This supplement contains 2 B vitamins that can cause anxiety; a lot of people with withdrawal syndrome react badly to B vitamin supplements.

I would not recommend it for people who are tapering or have withdrawal syndrome. I'd suggest buying magnesium maleate and malic acid separately and taking small amounts of the magnesium throughout the day, if necessary by cutting tablets up. (Personally, initially I could tolerate only 50mg-75mg magnesium at a time. I worked up to 100mg with no problem.)

I like the idea of sustained-release magnesium but for people sensitized by withdrawal, I don't think this is the right product.

Hi,

Carolyn Dean MD ND has her own magnesium product called "remag" remag[it is a liquid and she claims it is 100% absorbed, 1/2 teaspoon twice a day provides 500 mg.

She has allso researched and recomends the Jigsaw w/srt

As you know I've been trying the Jigsaw w/srt I take one 125 mg tablet at bed time,

Initial results were not encouraging, gave me a big head ache so I stoped taking the Jigsaw w/srt. I waited for the head ache to go away and I stoped taking the DHEA 10 mg. Waited 3 days and began taking the Jigsaw w/srt again 1 tablet at bed time.

This time I initially experienced a very mild head ache for the first 4 days and then on the 5 day no head ache tonight will be my 8 night. No more problems.

It has reduced my tinnitus by about 75 percent. Still only taking 1 tablet, 2 more days and I will up my intake to 1 tablet at night and one tablet in the morning.

If this works out with no adverse effects than I'll cut back on the amount of the other oral magnesium supplements I'm taking.

Hope all is well

Edited by Altostrata
corrected quote coding

• Administrator

Many remedies that might cause problems for people with withdrawal syndrome are fine for people without hypersensitized nervous systems.

Good to hear this supplement is working well for you.

10mg DHEA is a high dosage of DHEA. Please be careful with this powerful supplement.

Many remedies that might cause problems for people with withdrawal syndrome are fine for people without hypersensitized nervous systems.

Good to hear this supplement is working well for you.

10mg DHEA is a high dosage of DHEA. Please be careful with this powerful supplement.

Hi all,

Thanks alto for the info on DHEA,

I need to make a correction to my last post in this thread: Regards the dosage of ReMag The following quote is from carolyndean web sight.

"I used to recommend angstrom magnesium however, ReMag Pico-Ionic is a much higher potency at 50,000 ppm compared to 3,000 ppm in the angstrom form. ReMag comes in 8oz. bottles at an average daily dosage of 250 mg per 4 mls (1 tsp = 5 ml). The smaller bottles make it much more convenient and easier to pack when traveling.

5. In my book, The Magnesium Miracle I talked about Dr. Mildred Seelig’s original research with the pharmaceutical industry. She found that most drugs, when taken, cause magnesium to flood the blood stream. Presumably to help detoxify the drug. HOWEVER, the surge of magnesium can greatly benefit the individual who assumes that the drug is causing the benefit. Then after “the honeymoon is over” and all the magnesium stores are depleted, you really begin to notice the drug side effect. The drug companies have not bothered to convey this information to the public."

Really makes me mad that we have been so duped by the pharmaceuticle industry.

ReMag is $29.99 I think you can try to discount by entering the code "the magnesium miracle" or "magnesium miracle" not sure which it is and I can't find the original text. Sorry.

Wish you all well.

Am I crazy or could these epsom salt soaks cause me anxiety? This is the second time I've done this. Maybe just WDs from the celexa

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Administrator

Anything might cause a paradoxical reaction. You might wait a week or so before trying again.

Hello,

I have been very busy doing searches for anything related to magnesium as I have had my eyes and mind opened to the miracle of magnesium.

I have been gabapentin free for 52 days now and with very little withdrawal and some days with none.

I have tried servral different magnesium supplements some better than others.

Ionic fizz magnesium plus: it has helped but a lot of acid which can't be good for my teeth.

Magnesium oxide: not much help and lots of diarea.

Cal-Mag Supreme: It works fairly well but again it has acid.

Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT: (sustained release technology) this one does not cause diarea but may not be recomended for withdrawal because some of the ingrediant's may be activating. Currently this is my primary choice it releases the magnesium over a period of 8 hours and right now I take 2 in the morning and 1 at bedtime, each tablet is 125 mg. dimagnesium malate and malic acid (as dimagnesium Malate), B6 (pyridoxal-5-phosphate) Folate (Quatrefolic 5-MTHF) There is Acid in the tablet which I swallow whole so acid does not effect my teeth. I currently have no side effects from this product.

Remag: A new product which just came out a couple of months ago and has 100% absorption. I thought I was going to get this product sometime next week but it has been back ordered and will now ship on Dec. 6, 2012 this product holds great promise as there is no diarea and has 100% absorption. ReMag

I must admit that I have not been able to try ReMag yet but it comes by good authority. As this is a new kind of magnesium supplement and you can read more about it and it's author at Dr. Carolyn Dean Md. Nd.

I know that I was skeptical about magnesium when I read the forum posts suggesting a magnesium supplement to help reduce my withdrawal but I was just desperate enough to try it. As there didn't seem to be any end in sight to my withdrawal which went on for more than a month and the longer I was in withdrawal the worse it got, to the point that I wasn't eating so I had to reinstate to the 1200 mg. dosage of gabapentin. Then I could eat and no withdrawal but that wasn't good enough for me I simply wanted to stop taking gabapentin and without a magnesium supplement I doubt I would have been able to stop taking gabapentin.

My thinking and understanding about why magnesium is so effective in treating the withdrawal symptoms of gabapentin and many other durgs which cause withdrawal is explained below.

I can only epeculate about this aspect of phamaceutical durgs but could it be that it is the magnesium which is flooding the blood stream that is the most benificial aspect of the drug and posibly a trade secret as to why theses drugs are marketed in the first place. Is it possable that the big pharma knows that it is the magnesium that is the biggest cintributing factor in the success of a drug and why so many of these drugs fail after awile (because all of the magnesium has been deplete from our bodies.

The following quote is from carolyndean web sight.

"I used to recommend angstrom magnesium however, ReMag Pico-Ionic is a much higher potency at 50,000 ppm compared to 3,000 ppm in the angstrom form. ReMag comes in 8oz. bottles at an average daily dosage of 250 mg per 4 mls (1 tsp = 5 ml). The smaller bottles make it much more convenient and easier to pack when traveling.

5. In my book, The Magnesium Miracle I talked about Dr. Mildred Seelig’s original research with the pharmaceutical industry. She found that most drugs, when taken, cause magnesium to flood the blood stream. Presumably to help detoxify the drug. HOWEVER, the surge of magnesium can greatly benefit the individual who assumes that the drug is causing the benefit. Then after “the honeymoon is over” and all the magnesium stores are depleted, you really begin to notice the drug side effect. The drug companies have not bothered to convey this information to the public."

May you all be well.

Aza, why do you think some of these preparations contain acid?

Hi Alto, Let me know what you think.

They taste acidic to me and I also thought about how the stomach uses acid to break down the magnesium into a form of magnesium that the body can obsorb. Both the Ionic fizz and Cal-Mag supreme performs some kind of transformation to the magnesium compound by fizzing.

Honestly I don't actually know that it is an acidic solution. I don't want to scare people away from these magnesium supplements that is not my intent.

Ionic fizz magnesium Pluss leterature can be found here:ioniz fizz magnesium Pluss

Serving Size: 1 Level Scoop (7g)

Amount Per Serving %DV

Vitamin A (as beta carotene) 250 IU 5

Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 250 mg 416

Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) 100 IU 25

Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCI) 1 mg 50

Folate (as folic acid) 50 mcg 13

Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 30 mcg 500

Calcium (from Ca lactate) 250 mg 25

Magnesium (from Mg carbonate) 300 mg 75

Zinc (from Zn lactate) 2 mg 13

Copper (from Cu gluconate) 250 mcg 13

Manganese (from Mn gluconate) 1 mg 50

Potassium (from K bicarbonate) 100 mg 3

Silica-rich bamboo leaf extract 60 mg *

Complete ionic trace mineral complex 10 mg *

Baron (from B citrate) 500 mcg *

*Daily Value not established.

Other Ingredients:

citric acid, fructoolgosaccharides, natural flavors, malic acid, stevia, lo han (fruit), beet root powder, grape skin extract.

Cal-Nag Supreme Literature can be found here: Cal-Mag Supreme

Deepest appologies if I'm wrong about the acidity of theses procucts.

Wish you all well.

• Administrator

I would not think any of the magnesium-containing drinks are acidic. From what I can understand here http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss540 , magnesium contributes to alkalinity, neutralizing acidity.

http://humantouchofchemistry.com/how-antacids-work.htm

How antacids work

Types of antacids

Antacids are made up of different kind of chemicals. Some of the common ones include aluminium hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate. Though most of these chemicals are used individually, you may find them used in combinations.

Why does an antacid fizz when you put it in water

Antacids contain sodium bicarbonate. That’s right— baking powder. Another important ingredient is citric acid. Both of these chemicals react with each other producing carbonic acid. In its liquid form this carbonic acid decomposes producing water and carbon dioxide. What this means is that the glass of water is very much like your favourite soda that also contains carbon dioxide in it. The fizz that you see is the carbon dioxide bubbles bubbling to the surface.

Also see http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/consumer/faq/why-does-alkaseltzer-fizz.shtml Note that the result is a weak base, contrary to acid.

• Administrator

I've been taking magnesium a long time, from early in withdrawal. I don't remember how I found out about it.

I used to put it in ice water and sip it when I was having a bad time.

I'm now taking about 200mg per day, some in the morning and some in the evening. I just ordered Natural Calm -- with the fizz.

I've been taking magnesium a long time, from early in withdrawal. I don't remember how I found out about it.

I used to put it in ice water and sip it when I was having a bad time.

I'm now taking about 200mg per day, some in the morning and some in the evening. I just ordered Natural Calm -- with the fizz.

Alto hi,

You know what amazed me about magnesiumm, I took 4 epson salts baths (2 epson salts baths per day, 30 oz. epsom salts in 15 gallons of water) and swished with a solution of spson salts and spit out (1/2 teaspoon epsom salts in 4 oz. of water and and stirred untill disolved) 4 times a day for 2 days. And I don't imagine I infused more that 100 mg. of magnesium sulfate into my body system over 48 hours ( best guess as to how much magnesium I infused into my body) but that is all it took to ease the withdrawal from gabapentin.

And before that I was pretty well convinced that I would never be able to stop taking gabapentin. As the withdrawal was just so (god awful).

That sold me on magnesium. And quite honestly I had not heard of magnesium being used this way from any media source. Only my searches of on line forums into gabapentin withdrawal led me to magnesium. And this was an honest to god (hail mary) as in a desperate act because I didn't have any alternative play.

God bless magnesium.

• Administrator

I agree, magnesium can work wonders. I am a magnesium fan.

But, aza, it's not going to work for everyone. We must keep this in mind:

People in psychiatric drug withdrawal may be hypersensitive to magnesium like any other supplement.

If magnesium makes you feel worse, reduce or discontinue it.

You may wish to try it later, when your nervous system is not as reactive.

I agree, magnesium can work wonders. I am a magnesium fan.

But, aza, it's not going to work for everyone. We must keep this in mind:

People in psychiatric drug withdrawal may be hypersensitive to magnesium like any other supplement.

If magnesium makes you feel worse, reduce or discontinue it.

You may wish to try it later, when your nervous system is not as reactive.

This is why I suggest apsom salts as the first course of treatment as it is a gentle low dose of magnesium and I agree that It can be activating and one may have to back off for a while but that doesn't mean giveing up on it or not trying it at all. Eating foods high in magnesium is a good idea but the farming has changed in such a way that much of the magnesium has been leached out of the soil so we may not get enough magnesium through our diet.

Dr. Carolyn Dean, link (the explanation is the 4th one down on the web page) sxplains why some people might have dificulty when they first take a magnesium supplement. This archive has a lot of information pertinant to the topic of antidepressant drugs and withdrawal, and I recomend going through the archive and looking at what Dr. Carolyn Dean and others have to say on this topic. Granted this is not the whole picture but what is said sxplains many things about magnesium and why it's an important treatment for the symptoms of the withdrawal we experience from these drugs.

My thinking on this is with the high incidence of magnesium deficiency in this county %80, the ones who are most likely to have a deficiency are peole whos bodies are put under considerabal stress and stress leaches magnesium. Certainly these drugs stress the body and leach magnesium. And if tolerated taking even a little magnesium through epsom salt baths will be good.

This is something every one can try and should try who are experiencing withdrawal. Many of the withdrawal events which are described, nausea, muscle cramps, heart arithmias, no appetite, headaches, anxiety, depression, unable to sleep, and so on are all symptoms of magnesium deficency.

With magnesium you are treating the underlying cause of the withdrawal a magnesium deficiency. Treat the magnesium deficiency and your withdrawal may not be as severe. Why not taper up on magnesium just as we taper off of the drugs. Slowly starting out with a very small amount of magnesium and gradually increasing the magnesium. We can try this and if it doesn't work well thats fine too. But if at first you try and you don't succeed doesn't mean giving up, try try and try again. Or start taking a magnesium supplement before starting to taper would be even better perhaps.

For example when I started taking (Jigsaw w/srt magnesium supplement) my first attempt was an utter failure (you warned me that it might be activating and it was). But I didn't give up I reassed what other supplements I was taking changed my diet and gave it an other shot and this time I my body was able to make the adjustment to the Jigsaw w/srt with little activation which was tolerable and within 5 days I was doing fine(no activation and benefiting from the magnesium. I started out slowly and gradually over time built up my dosage. And it worked. This is all I am trying to say, adaptive life style changes need to be made and I think the withdrawal symptoms can be mitigated or eliminated.

Maybe my experience was a fluke, I don't know. I do know that after reading about magnesium that I had all of the signs of a magnesium deficency.

Of course I didn't know this when I started epsom salts baths but I had to do something, it felt like the drug gabapentin was killing me.

And I'm convinced that I would still be in withdrawal or I may have given up trying to taper and upped my gabapentin to a level where I didn't experience withdrawal. And it might have been servral more years before the word filtered down to me that what I was experiencing was a magnesium defiency. And by then more damage would have occured to my whole body system.

What I am trying to say is magnesium can help in a big way but there needs to be more education and understanding about magnesium and how it works and the important role it plays in our lives and the proper way to take it. Much of this is explained in the link above

Knowledge is Power. Power allowes us to take back our lives and to be in control and not be controlled by the drugs. I felt absolutely helpless and out of control in the grip of gabapentin, a feeling which I'm sure resonates with many who have come to this forum seeking answers. Weather the drug is an ssri, tricyclic, benzo, gabapentin or other durg, magnesium may help mitigate the withdrawal if given a chance.

I'm just suggesting that magnesium be given a chance. And we can't do this very well if our knowledge and understanding of magnesium is lacking the fundamental knowledge needed to impliment it as a treatment in any sensable way for discontinuation withdrawal.

May you all have a good day.

• Administrator

Agree with all you've posted, except that Dr. Dean probably has not seen people with withdrawal syndrome hypersensitivity, and not all withdrawal symptoms are from a lack of magnesium.

Agree with all you've posted, except that Dr. Dean probably has not seen people with withdrawal syndrome hypersensitivity, and not all withdrawal symptoms are from a lack of magnesium.

We are in accord on magnesium, here is more info on magnesium hope this is not a repeat: Magnesium

We are in accord on magnesium, here is more info on magnesium hope this is not a repeat: Magnesium

Hi all;

Ipurchased ph paper and it arrived in the mail yesterday.

I prepared the Ionnic Fizz Magnesium Plus and prepared it as instructed and stuck the PH paper in the solution, is definately acid, I also poured some vinigar into a glass to compare the acidity of the vinigar to the Ionic Fizz it apears that the ionic Fizz is not as acidic as vinigar but still acid. The same applied to the CalMag Supreme - more acid.

I wasn't sure the ph paper was working propperly and made a solution of soap and tested it and it measured very alkylin so the PH paper is working fine. I should be able to add a small amount of baking soda to the magnesium preperation to counter the acid.

Remag and Rna Drops. have not yet shipped. RNA Drops is an other Dr. Carolyn Dean product. Currently they are giving sample bottles away for the cost of shipping at about $20 for shipping. With any luck they will arrive sometime next week. 90 drops in the sample bottle enough for a months trial at 3 drops per day.

Right now I'm taking about 900 mg. elemental magnesium, I speculate that about 20% is actually being used by my system. If this is the case then I'm receiving the benefit of about 180 mg. magnesium + whatever my body obsorbes from the food I eat. It's barely enough to help reduce my head aches and back ache. The good is no gabapentin withdrawal and my anxiety and depression are gone, no heart palpatations and my teeth don't hurt anymore. With the remag 1/2 tesp twice a day should give me good usable magnesium around 500 mg. 100% fully obsorbed.

So long.

I've not read this whole thread so I'm sorry if this is redundant.

I wanted to tell folks about magnesium oil which for me has been really amazing. I have never had good response with mag taken orally and I've tried many different kinds.

Epsom salt baths have always been good...

but now I LOVE THIS STUFF: http://www.vitacost.com/life-flo-pure-magnesium-oil-8-oz-3

this source seems to be far less expensive then most and it's remarkably effective. In fact I need to be careful not to OD...it can make me woozy...

4 or 5 squirts rubbed into the skin 3 or 4 times a day seems good for me and I don't use other modes anymore. I put it on my stomach...it can sting some people...it doesn't sting my tummy but it will sting my legs...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I received the ReMag in the mail yesterday Dec. 13 it is a clear colorless liquid and tastes really bad but the taste doesn't linger, for ingredients:ReMag(recomend putting it in juice), I,ve decided to take a half teaspoon in the morning and a half teaspoon near bedtime. As yesterday I took a about 4ml. 250 mg. ReMag magnesium around 3 in the afternoon went for a walk came back and had lunch around 5 and then I took a nap as when I lay down for aboout 2 hours I was completely relaxed and quite comfortable but I don't think I could have done anything if I had wanted to.

It had quite a sedative effect. Taking the approxamately half teaspoon 125 mg. this morning the 14th. I didn't get nearly the sedative effect. In fact I went shopping and I've felt great all day. So far no sign of diarea no headache just feel fine and relaxed.

I plan to continue the Cal-Mag supreme but I'm going to stop taking the ionic fizz magnesium plus, and the Jigsaw magnesium w/srt. since the ReMag is absorbed 100% 250 mg. magnesium from the ReMag is a healthy amount of magnesium.

I realize that I've just started taking ReMag and unpredictable and predictable things can happen when taking oral magnesium supplements so the jury is still out on this one, I will stay in touch and let every one know how this new product is working.

I plan to stick to the plan as outlined above (half in the morning=125 mg. and half in the evening=125 mg.= total 250 mg.) for about 10 days and if there are no adverse events I will add a third dose of 125 mg. at mid day for a total of 375 mg. + the Cal-Mag supreme once a day (Cal-Mag Supreme comprises Vitamin D3 500 iu,N-acetylcysteine 200 mg., 200 mg. magnesium and 200 mg. calcium. for total=575 mg. magnesium. 200 mg. calcium. Eventually this is my goal.

Comments are welcome.

So far so good.

I've been doing so well on ReMag I moved my time table up I now take 2 ml first thing when I get up in the morning. Then about 3 hours later I will take 2 ml. more amd then late in the evening an other 2 ml. and just before I hit the sack I take an other 2 ml. sometimes if wake up in the middle of the night I'll take an other 2 ml. seems easier to fall asleep when I tried this.

So on average I'm taking 8 ml. a day = 500 mg. magnesium this is great as there is no diarea from this product. I have much more patience with people I am more courtious and want to help and participate in more activities. My headaches which would hit every 2 or 3 days are down to less than one a weak and instead of 8 or 9 om a scale of 1 being barely noticable and 10 being intolerable, what I experience now is 1 or 2 when I have them and I have gone for 10 day streches without any headache at all. I am calm and I am strangly anxiety free. i would say I experience boredom at times but it's not depression.

The only pain that I still experience at times is the nerve damage I suffered a number of years in my lower back but it has been reduces by 50%, amd to top it off I have not experienced any withdrawal from the gabapentin. My appetite is good, and I'm not over eating or under eating. I cleaned my house the other day with no one pushing me to do so. For me that is quite exciting as I haven't been able to deal with for a very long time.

I don't seem to experiencing any overdose symptomes I just feel normal and relaxed.

I did have to stop taking the taurine as it was activating. But as soon as I stoped taking it the minor headaches I was experiencing went away. The cottage cheese which is high in taurine doesn't seem to bother me. I find I do better without a calcium supplement fewer leg cramps (not severe but noticable) so primarily magnesium a better diet and a natural multi-vitamin high in B vitamins.

Over all I'm very pleased with the progress that I've made.

later

• Administrator

Great information, thanks, aza.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so sensitive to ALL supplements taken orally. I have tried at various times taking Natural Calm magnesium drink and after a few sips I start to feel strange, a bit of anxiety, increasing head pressure and an almost stoned feeling. I bought the Natural Calm magnesium oil, diluted half in coconut oil and rubbed it on my temples, sides of my face, all on my neck and in my scalp. It seemed to take my headache away, relieved my neck tension and possibly took the pressure down a bit. So the result is completely different than if I had taken a mag pill or the drink. Why is ingesting through the skin different? If I can continue to tolerate the oil I would love to take other vitamins this way. Does anyone know of any other vitamins taken through the skin? I want to take Vitamin C, CQ10, and B1, for my MCS, but absolutely cannot tolerate them. My head sensations and anxiety ramp up on any of them.

1998-2013 Various antidepressants switches and CTs.

Benzo addiction unknowingly trying to cover withdrawals in 2011

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

Tapered Clonazepam from April to June 2012 from 1 mg to .25 mg (stuck)

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

February 2013 to December 2013 tapered off 25 mg Zoloft

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Hope this isn't to confusing.

Hi Annie,

I experienced the same sensitivity. Over time this sensitivity did decline and I am able to take supplments normally today.

Hang in there.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Here are instructions on how to make your own Epsom salts lotion http://www.thegfcflady.com/2009/04/26/epsom-salt-lotion/

And how to make magnesium cream http://www.herbal-treatments.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-magnesium-cream.html (you can skip the lavender oil)

Hmmm, I have tons of mag citrate capsules, maybe I'll try this.

Alto hi,

Have you read or studied transdermal application of Vitamins similar to the way we are useing transdermal Magnesium oil, is it possible to mix into the Magnesium oil a solution of vitamins. And apply this to the skin. For those who seem sensitive to just about anything taken orally this might be of benefit. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks Alex, did you have sensitivities to everything as well or just the mag. I can't even take Advil I get the same reaction. But, the oil through the skin seems to be fine.

My sensitivities were extensive. I still must exercise caution, I should have made that more clear, but it's nothing like it was early in w.d

I have sorta avoided most OTC remedies for a while. My sensitivities were mainly with everday things like food, light, noise and vitamins/minerals. IN my case, I had trouble with epsom salt baths and transdermal mag -- same as with other forms of it. My magnesium sensitivity caused profound sedation and dream-like trance so I had to be very careful.

Now, I can take 1,000mg mag glycinate capsules and not experience anything noticeable. So it changes!

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

my sensitivities so far have not changed at all...once sensitive I've remained sensitive to that substance...I hope it changes for me too

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I recently realized that taking too much magnesium citrate a day (400 mg. in three doses) was what was causing me diarrhea and making me feel somewhat down, so I cut out one dose. However 350 mg. to 400 mg. is supposed to be just barely enough to prevent a deficiency and I'm now taking only 266 mg.

I didn't feel like making my own lotion, so I ordered two bottles of it from Amazon and there's no information at all on the label about how much magnesium is absorbed from a certain amount of the lotion. Any ideas?

Oh, great. Parabens are on the label. So much for this stuff.

Would just dissolving some Epsom salt in water and spraying or rubbing it on myself work? Does anyone know what percentage of magnesium is absorbed from Epsom salt? I have a bag of it and it says that one teaspoon contains 495 mg. magnesium.

I buy a topical "oil" --it's not really oil, but it absorbs very well...it's great...I never did well with oral Mag got loose stools easily as well...and this stuff is wonderful

I link to the brand I use somewhere up above...I find it much more effective than epsom salts...but if you want to use epsom, the best way I found was to do a high concentration foot bath

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Gia. It never occurred to me that magnesium might come in an oil spray. That opens up some more possibilities of making my own potion one of these days.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

the spray is the magnesium in its natural form...I experimented using powder and making my own and did not like the results though I guess it's been done successfully...this bottle I get lasts a long time...so I prefer getting it in liquid form

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy