SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus

Aha. Here's a recipe for magnesium oil, although I'm not yet sure where to find magnesium chloride:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5637686_make-magnesium-chloride-oil.html

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Aha. Here's a recipe for magnesium oil, although I'm not yet sure where to find magnesium chloride:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5637686_make-magnesium-chloride-oil.html

Hi Jemima,

Check out Amazon for Magnesium Chloride

Add a small amount of borax to your magnesium oil.

See Borax

You can find 20 mule team borax at most grocery stores in the laundry detergent department.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I am having some fairly serious problems with heart palpitations. After doing some research, I've increased my magnesium to 300mg per day, in 3 divided doses.

I'm sensitive to magnesium, I've very gradually increased my dosage from 75mg at a time.

It seems taurine might be good for palpitations, too, so perhaps magnesium taurate might be the best form for this symptom. I have some on order, will report back.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Thanks, aza.

This is a long undated piece in PDF form, How to Change Your Life with Magnesium, by Dr. Carolyn Dean, who wrote The Magnesium Miracle. This article says:

Where
 Has 
All 
the
 Magnesium
 Gone?

Even 
though 
magnesium
 is
 the 
most
 important 
mineral
 in
 our
 body,
 farming
 practices
 have
 depleted
 the
 soil 
of 
magnesium,
 making
 our
 food
 and
 our
 bodies
 magnesium‐deficient.
 One
 hundred
 years
 ago
 you 
could 
obtain 
500mg
 of
 magnesium
 in
 your
 diet
 per 
day.
 Now
 that
 figure
 has
 been
 reduced 
to
 150 mg. 
Most
 farmers
 do
 not 
remineralize 
their 
soil 
but
 mainly
 just 
use 
fertilizers 
that 
add
 nitrogen, 
phosphorous, 
and 
potassium.
 But 
the
 good
 news 
is
 that 
some
 farmers
 do.
 You
 can
 read
 about
 one 
such 
farm
 at 
www.organicconnections.com.
It’s 
called
 SEER
 Center: 
Scotland’s
 Remineralized
 Oasis.

Medicine 
may 
have
 advanced
 technologically, 
yet
 it’s 
not
 technology
 that
 we’re
 lacking
 but 
basic
 nutrients
 and
 building
 blocks
 that
 power
 our
 bodies
 and
 give
 us 
health.
 We
 can 
eat
 foods
 that
 contain
 more
 magnesium
 but
 if
 it’s 
not 
in
 the
 soil
 it’s
 not
 in
 the
 food.
 We
 don’t
 get
 enough
 magnesium
 from
 our diet 
most
 people
 have
 to
 rely
 on
 magnesium
 supplements.

It explains how calcium competes with magnesium, an important concept for those of us who are taking magnesium for its calming properties:

We’re
 living 
in 
a
 calcified 
world
 and
 I’ll
 tell
 you 
why.
 Magnesium
 controls
 electrical
 cell‐to‐cell
 communication 
allowing
 the 
correct 
amount 
of
 calcium
 to 
enter
 a
 cell
 to 
create
 cell
 contraction.
 This
 may
 be
 one
 of 
the
 hardest 
tasks 
set
 for
 magnesium
 because
 the 
level
 of
 calcium
 outside
 our
 cells
 can 
be
 tens
 of
 thousands
 of
 times 
the
 safe 
level 
allowed
 inside
 the
 cell.
 Magnesium’s
 job
 is made 
even 
more
 difficult 
because
 so 
many
 people 
are
 taking
 extra
 calcium
 in 
supplement
 form
 and
 don’t 
realize they 
need
 equal
 amounts 
of 
magnesium
 in
 the 
body.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

yeah...the whole calcium/mag thing means it's better to always take magnesium SEPARATE from calcium if you're taking supplements of both...even though they're often manufactured together...

I've always made sure to not take them at the same time and not buy cal/mag combos

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Does decaf coffee bother you like cafinated coffee, if not you might be interested to know that 3 cups of decaf espresso coffee 24 oz. containes 576 mg. magnesium and 828 mg. potassium. It also provides 1.6 mg of niacin.

Decaf coffee

and here http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/magnesium-in-coffee.php (calculate amount of magnesium here)

As you can see below instant powder Coffee contains substantially more, instant decaf coffee 100g (3.5 oz.) 311 mg. magnesium.

" Calculator - Magnesium in Coffee

Magnesium in 100g of 'coffee', click a link for different servings.

Coffee, instant, regular, powder - Magnesium 327 mg

Coffee, instant, regular, powder, half the caffeine - Magnesium 327 mg

Coffee, instant, decaffeinated, powder - Magnesium 311 mg

Coffee, instant, with chicory, powder - Magnesium 213 mg

Coffee, brewed, espresso, restaurant-prepared, decaffeinated - Magnesium 80 mg

Coffee, brewed, espresso, restaurant-prepared - Magnesium 80 mg

Coffee, instant, with sugar, mocha-flavor, powder - Magnesium 68 mg

Coffee, instant, with sugar, cappuccino-flavor powder - Magnesium 43 mg

Coffee, instant, with sugar, french-flavor, powder - Magnesium 26 mg

Coffee, instant, decaffeinated, powder, prepared with water - Magnesium 5 mg

Coffee, brewed from grounds, prepared with tap water, decaffeinated - Magnesium 5 mg

Coffee, instant, with chicory, prepared with water - Magnesium 3 mg

Coffee, instant, regular, prepared with water - Magnesium 3 mg

Coffee, brewed from grounds, prepared with tap water - Magnesium 3 mg

Coffee, dry, powder, with whitener, reduced calorie - Magnesium 2 mg

• Administrator

Thanks, aza.

Caution: Even decaffeinated coffee might have a little caffeine in it that might affect hypersensitized nervous systems.

Thanks, aza.

Caution: Even decaffeinated coffee might have a little caffeine in it that might affect hypersensitized nervous systems.

I don't know maybe you have allready seen this. Undated.

Magnesium and Potassium

When I get a headache from MSG I take taurine sublingual and this seems to reduce the headache, anicdotal evidence only.

I think most of my headaches are caused from eating foods which contain MSG.

I recently realized that taking too much magnesium citrate a day (400 mg. in three doses) was what was causing me diarrhea and making me feel somewhat down, so I cut out one dose. However 350 mg. to 400 mg. is supposed to be just barely enough to prevent a deficiency and I'm now taking only 266 mg.

It's possible that you don't need 350 - 400. If you eat a magnesium rich diet, 200mg supplementation may be plenty.

I think of bowel tolerance as a pretty good indicator of what I need, though not-pooping isn't necessarily enough of a reason for me to keep upping and upping a dose.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hello,

Does decaf coffee bother you like cafinated coffee, if not you might be interested to know that 3 cups of decaf espresso coffee 24 oz. containes 576 mg. magnesium and 828 mg. potassium. It also provides 1.6 mg of niacin.

Decaf coffee

and here http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/magnesium-in-coffee.php (calculate amount of magnesium here)

As you can see below instant powder Coffee contains substantially more, instant decaf coffee 100g (3.5 oz.) 311 mg. magnesium.

This in interesting but I think it's probably a little more complicated and people should be cautious.

One of the issues I had with coffee is that it seemed to worsen my problems of electrolyte imbalance. I did some research and found that it causes increased urinary excretion of electrolytes -- like mg and k. I got cramps and hip weakness/pain after drinking drip coffee for a long time.

Also, coffee was very too much stimulating for me for a very long time.

When I drink it, I do have increased 'motivation'. Not just amped and energetic but I feel good when I get something done. Most of the time, I complete tasks and feel nothing of any satisfaction. A lot of times, it's hard to do anything at all because of this lack of reward feeling. Coffee does help with that. Unfortunately, I am really only able to tolerate a shot of espresso once a week if not less frequently.

- Zimmerman

Hello,

Decaf coffee

This in interesting but I think it's probably a little more complicated and people should be cautious.

One of the issues I had with coffee is that it seemed to worsen my problems of electrolyte imbalance. I did some research and found that it causes increased urinary excretion of electrolytes -- like mg and k. I got cramps and hip weakness/pain after drinking drip coffee for a long time.

Also, coffee was very too much stimulating for me for a very long time.

When I drink it, I do have increased 'motivation'. Not just amped and energetic but I feel good when I get something done. Most of the time, I complete tasks and feel nothing of any satisfaction. A lot of times, it's hard to do anything at all because of this lack of reward feeling. Coffee does help with that. Unfortunately, I am really only able to tolerate a shot of espresso once a week if not less frequently.

hi alexejice,

"Causes increased urinary excretion of electrolytes" Are you refering to the Caffeine in coffee or coffee in general?

I have to admit I have not done any real research on the subject.

Wish you the best.

Cheers.

hi alexejice,

"Causes increased urinary excretion of electrolytes" Are you refering to the Caffeine in coffee or coffee in general?

I'm not an expert on coffee, but I did experience those symptoms while hypersensitive to coffee. I sometimes would take 1/2caf but never decaf, so I don't know if it's the coffee or the caffeine. Also, I don't think most people think coffee is unsafe due to this or if it's even significant for the average person. However, I had a highly sensitive nervous system and coffee had a major stimulant effect on me due to the withdrawal process. Stimulant effect extended to the bladder, for sure.

I found a short blurb on this issue on a doctor's site:

Coffee inhibits the absorption of some nutrients and causes the urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and trace minerals, all essential elements necessary for good health. Women need to be concerned about osteoporosis as menopause sets in. Studies show that women who drink coffee have an increased incidence of osteoporosis compared to non-coffee drinkers. Men are not immune to osteoporosis either.

­There are a number of health conditions for which doctors advise their patients to eliminate coffee and all caffeine from their diet.

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/coffee-caffeine.html

My point was that coffee consumption for mineral content benefits are likely offset in many cases by nervous system hyperreaction.

best,

Alex

PS - If you are enjoying your coffee without excitement, consider yourself lucky. Lots of wish we could indulge as often as we once did in coffee drinks.

- Zimmerman

hi alexejice,

I'm not an expert on coffee, but I did experience those symptoms while hypersensitive to coffee. I sometimes would take 1/2caf but never decaf, so I don't know if it's the coffee or the caffeine. Also, I don't think most people think coffee is unsafe due to this or if it's even significant for the average person. However, I had a highly sensitive nervous system and coffee had a major stimulant effect on me due to the withdrawal process. Stimulant effect extended to the bladder, for sure.

I found a short blurb on this issue on a doctor's site:

Coffee inhibits the absorption of some nutrients and causes the urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and trace minerals, all essential elements necessary for good health. Women need to be concerned about osteoporosis as menopause sets in. Studies show that women who drink coffee have an increased incidence of osteoporosis compared to non-coffee drinkers. Men are not immune to osteoporosis either.

­There are a number of health conditions for which doctors advise their patients to eliminate coffee and all caffeine from their diet.

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/coffee-caffeine.html

My point was that coffee consumption for mineral content benefits are likely offset in many cases by nervous system hyperreaction.

best,

Alex

PS - If you are enjoying your coffee without excitement, consider yourself lucky. Lots of wish we could indulge as often as we once did in coffee drinks.

Hi alexe,

I did a short survey of concencus on caffein, some say it diuretic some say used in moderation it's not, I think that the use of coffee in moderation as is the case with a commonsense approach is OK, not going to deuydrate to a significant degree.

Decaf would seem to be a better choice as the research is looking at the caffein as the diuretic in coffee. It is a bean and high in natural magnesium, potassium and manganese.

I know you will again enjoy a good cup or Joe. It's just a matter of time.

I myself was fortunate "one of the lucky ones" who could not tolerate antidepressants, I went from Prozac, to Zoloft and then to Paxil in every case I had to discontinue in less than a week. In every case the effects were different, prozac made me want to crawl out of my skin with anxiety. Zoloft did absolutely nothing for me. Paxil stopped me dead in my tracks, after 4 or 5 days, I became a vegatable and it took me some time to get over that, no withdrawal to speek of but it took years to regain my vigor for life.

In fact I was in an early trial study of Prozac in 1983-84 before it was approved by the FDA and I had to stop taking it only after 3 days of use at the lowest dose and the 3 days was because the research project coordinator begged me to stay on it for just one more day assuring me that all would be OK.

But it was not OK. And that third day was one of the longest days of my life. My anxiety was through the rough, in looking back on it now I believe even then I had a severe magnesium defeceincy and the prozac was depleting what lettle reserves of magnesium I had left.

Since I started supplementing with magnesium I now have zero anxiety.

Be well Alexe.

Has any one taken the Mag RBC test to check your magnesium levels?

See here to order test, this is just one place to order the tests but I do think this is one of the better priced tests. . . Mag RBC

I plan on getting mine tested next month, I've been supplementing a 1000 mg. a day for close to 60 days now should be interesting will post results as soon as they come in.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is how to make magnesium water:

To prepare the water follow these steps:

1. Chill a 1-liter bottle of unflavored seltzer, which is fully carbonated water. The seltzer should only contain water and carbon dioxide (CO2). Club soda is carbonated water with a small amount of added sodium and is also suitable.

2. Shake the bottle of Milk of Magnesia well, then measure out 3 tablespoons (45 ml) and have it ready. The plastic measuring cup that comes with the MoM is accurate and ideal for the purpose.

3. Remove the bottle of unflavored seltzer from the refrigerator without agitating it. Open it slowly and carefully to minimize the loss of CO2. As soon as the initial fizzing settles down, slowly add the pre-measured MoM. Promptly replace the cap on the water bottle and shake it vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy.

After ½ hour or so the liquid will have cleared, and any un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide will have settled to the bottom of the bottle. Again shake the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy again. When the liquid again clears all of the magnesium hydroxide in the MoM should have reacted with all of the CO2 to become dissolved (ionized) magnesium and bicarbonate.

If a small amount of un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide still remains in the bottom of the bottle as a sediment it may be ignored.

This 1 liter of concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have approximately 1500 mg of magnesium and approximately 7500 mg of bicarbonate. It should be kept in the refrigerator. You may note that the sides of the bottle “cave in” when the liquid clears. This is a sign that the reaction is complete.

Cheers

[Admin note: Source http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how-tos/how-to-make-magnesium-bicarbonate-water ]

Edited by Altostrata
added source

• Moderator Emeritus

i have been feeling wobbly still since my updose 19 days ago, so i thought i would find some magnesium. I mainly feel anxious with those depressive feelings in the background and lots of rumination about how will i cope.

anyway, magnesium supplements that have only magnesium in an easily absorbable form are not that easy to get over the counter in australia - most of the magnesium supplements are tablets and have other stuff added, like B6, so if you want to take more than one a day it gets a bit too much. Last year i got some mag citrate on line, but have run out.

the other day in the city, i found one that was a powder - but it was an amino acid chelate with other forms as well, including magnesium ascorbate, aspartate and phosphate. along with some zinc, taurine and a small amount of selenium. So, i took it three times the first day and then again that night. I think i overdid it because i had a bit of diarrhoea in the morning, but also had quite heavy depression. I took another dose of the magnesium with breakfast and then again with lunch and felt heavy and flat all day. in the evening it started to lift. I was doing a search about magnesium making you worse and i found some comments about magnesium aspartate not being good for people with depression.

what do you think? i paid $40 for the large bottle of powder, but now am too scared to take it. This morning i don't feel as bad as yesterday, but still a bit more wobbly than three days ago.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Try a bit less. I don't believe the aspartate form is a hazard.

Magnesium is more effective for anxiety than depression.

• 2 months later...

Thanks, aza.

I now understand about coffee better, that it's a diaretic and depletes magnesium as well as effecting hypersensitized nervous systems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I've added information in post #1 about magnesium glycinate chelate. You may find it more tolerable, bowel-wise, than magnesium citrate.

Or, you may wish to try Magnesium Bicarbonate Water. aza gives the recipe here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/page__view__findpost__p__45474 (source: http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how-tos/how-to-make-magnesium-bicarbonate-water )

This is "Waller Water," developed by patients to treat heart arrhythmias (see www.afibbers.org/Wallerwater.pdf‎ PDF) in imitation of healing mineral-rich natural waters. This is widely mentioned on holistic healing sites as a good way to ingest magnesium.

Being a bicarbonate, it might soothe your digestion as well. Like everything else, don't overdo drinking this water, it contains lots of magnesium http://www.livestrong.com/article/313582-magnesium-bicarbonate-side-effects/

Here is how to make magnesium water:

1. Chill a 1-liter bottle of unflavored seltzer, which is fully carbonated water. The seltzer should only contain water and carbon dioxide (CO2). Club soda is carbonated water with a small amount of added sodium and is also suitable.

2. Shake the bottle of Milk of Magnesia well, then measure out 3 tablespoons (45 ml) and have it ready. The plastic measuring cup that comes with the MoM is accurate and ideal for the purpose.

3. Remove the bottle of unflavored seltzer from the refrigerator without agitating it. Open it slowly and carefully to minimize the loss of CO2. As soon as the initial fizzing settles down, slowly add the pre-measured MoM. Promptly replace the cap on the water bottle and shake it vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy.

After ½ hour or so the liquid will have cleared, and any un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide will have settled to the bottom of the bottle. Again shake the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy again. When the liquid again clears all of the magnesium hydroxide in the MoM should have reacted with all of the CO2 to become dissolved (ionized) magnesium and bicarbonate.

If a small amount of un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide still remains in the bottom of the bottle as a sediment it may be ignored.

This 1 liter of concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have approximately 1500 mg of magnesium and approximately 7500 mg of bicarbonate. It should be kept in the refrigerator. You may note that the sides of the bottle “cave in” when the liquid clears. This is a sign that the reaction is complete.

Cheers

[Admin note: Source http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how-tos/how-to-make-magnesium-bicarbonate-water ]

I wanted to include an important up date of my own about Magnesium Water you should know about,

Special NOTE: You should know some brands of Milk Of Magnesia like Phillips and Equate contain, inactive ingrediant, Sodium Hypochlorite this is common house hold bleach. http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-regular-bleach/ On this page is the ingrediants label for Chlorox Bleach. Click on, Whats in it anyway?

There are some generic brands which contain only Magnesium Hydroxide and purified water, These are CVS Milk of Magnesia original flavor, and Walgreens brand Milk of Magnesia original flavor, and Vitacost Good Sense Milk of Magnesia Original flavor. Check both labels, Active ingrediants and Inactive ingrediants for unwanted chemicals. For best results your milk of magnesia should only contain Magnesium Hydroxide and puridied water. There may be other generic brands which may only contain Magnesium Hydroxide and puridied water as well.

The finished product containes concentrated Magnesium bicarbonate and should be diluted.

To make 4 liters of magnesium bicarbonate drinking water with approximately 125 mg of magnesium and approximately 625 mg of bicarbonate per liter and a pH of approximately 8+ measure and transfer 1/3 liter of the concentrate (333 ml) into a 4-liter container. Fill the container with 3 2/3 liters of purified water (no sodium fluoride), as desired.

3. Remove the bottle of unflavored seltzer from the refrigerator without agitating it. Open it slowly and carefully to minimize the loss of CO2. As soon as the initial fizzing settles down, slowly add the pre-measured MoM. Promptly replace the cap on the water bottle and shake it vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy. After ½ hour or so the liquid will have cleared, and any un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide will have settled to the bottom of the bottle. Again shake the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy again. When the liquid again clears all of the magnesium hydroxide in the MoM should have reacted with all of the CO2 to become dissolved (ionized) magnesium and bicarbonate. If a small amount of un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide still remains in the bottom of the bottle as a sediment it may be ignored.

This 1 liter of concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have approximately 1500 mg of

magnesium and approximately 7500 mg of bicarbonate. It should be kept in the refrigerator. You

may note that the sides of the bottle “cave in” when the liquid clears. This is a sign that the

reaction is complete.

• Administrator

Thanks for that additional information, aza.

What's the link to the source?

• 3 weeks later...

just wanted to add that I was taking a mag supplement during Percocet withdrawal and it helped with the restless legs

Past: Started on 30 mg of celexa in 2003 with lorazepam for sleep, switched to clonazepam in 2007

Last few years were spent cartwheeling around with various AD cocktails and multiple ER visits

Current:  5 mg celexa, .5 mg clonazepam, 1 mg melatonin for sleep 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure it was the magnesium, but within an hour of taking some last night, my lips felt numb, like a novacaine feeling.  I had taken it the night before and when I went to bed my body didn't twitch as much.  But last night I noticed the numbness then an almost intolerable agitated mood.  It certainly relaxed the body a bit but the mood was very agitated, like bad PMS.  Guess I'm not a candidate.  Also had some dizziness and it made my brain zap a bit more (same kind of zaps with SSRI wd) it was almost as if it was amplifying the wd effects. 

Past: Started on 30 mg of celexa in 2003 with lorazepam for sleep, switched to clonazepam in 2007

Last few years were spent cartwheeling around with various AD cocktails and multiple ER visits

Current:  5 mg celexa, .5 mg clonazepam, 1 mg melatonin for sleep 

• Administrator

Try taking less magnesium. It can be powerful. Always try a very small amount of anything first to see how it affects you.

Magnesium is something many people need to titrate.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I took 400mg of Magnesium Glycinate with the dose evenly divided between morning and afternoon. Obviously, one day does not prove anything but so far, I have experienced nothing but positive effects which led to somewhat better sleep even though I still was unable to use the machine for very long. They were decreased carb cravings, the desire to engage in more exercise, a calmness that kept me from panicking as I usually do when I wake up way too prematurely, and a desire for less coffee upon wakening.

Anyway, as one who is quite leery of supplements, I wanted to encourage anyone who is having sleep difficulties to give this a shot.  In my own situation, I don't think it will work like a sleeping pill as while it seems to calm me, it doesn't make me sleepy. But it seems overall to contribute to better health that can hopefully lead to continued improved sleep.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Something worth knowing about Mg [and which most doctors don't seem to know] is that a "Mg serum level" doesn't tell you much about the Mg situation in your body. That's because < 1% of the body's Mg is located in the serum. Most is in the bones and intracellular fluid. So you could be lacking Mg in your heart, for instance (which needs a lot of Mg), and that might not show at all on a Mg serum level.

Even allowing for a 40% placebo effect, how come so many people feel so much better when they start supplementing Mg? Zn was very popular [still is], Se had its day. Fads. Not Mg.

Jerome

72 years old, no history of AD meds. Single dose of Ativan ramped up to 6-8 mg/day (!) for 7 years, initial Rx for insomnia. Summer of 2012 I learned about IW sx and began the change to 3X day dosing, finishing in October. Big improvement in sx. I also take opiate pain meds.

Finally got under way with a hybrid [wet/dry] daily cut taper in Dec. 2012, at 0.0125 mg/day reduction. I was able to taper down from 8 mg/d to 4 mg/d in 2 years at that rate, interrupted by several medical adventures (heart block, wrist fracture, endocrine problem). I'm currently [9/2021] stable at 4 mg/d and plan to start a micro-taper at an initial reduction rate of 0.035 mg/d. Now (10/2023) at 1.75 mg/day, I'm getting what I think are some w/d sx. so maybe hold for a while.

My taper method, which has gone through several iterations, is linked here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5037-jeromes-wetdry-taper-revised/?hl=jerome. At the moment, I'm not using a solution, but rather dealing with dry 0.5 mg tablets.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using the magnesium water recipe made with milk of magnesia, how much should one drink a day?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Good question. From Recipe for Magnesium/Bicarbonate Water‎ http://www.afibbers.org/Wallerwater.pdf‎ 

The alkaline magnesium/bicarbonate water should be consumed throughout the day. It can be consumed with a meal, but not in such quantities that it results in dilution of stomach acid. Anyone not in the habit of drinking water should begin by consuming small daily amounts, and should take at least a month to reach a consumption of 1 to 2 liters per day.

I understand it's more easily absorbed than magnesium tablets and you can reach "bowel tolerance" on small amounts, so go carefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

What form of magnesium causes the least diarrhea?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

This is a good question. I don't have any loose stools with mg glycinate... but some people are way more sensitive-- from the GI perspectiv-- to the mag than I am.

- Zimmerman

I've read that magnesium glycinate is the one to get also from an absorption standpoint. And keeping it around 250 mg ingested is also likely to cause fewer problems is what I also have heard.

Others do pretty well with magnesium citrate at the same level.

Marie

On Xanax 10 years for anxiety, 2 mgs, night only. Attempted my own taper w/o understanding the dependency issues.

Researched and then understood the need for longer half life med. Doctor crossed me from X to klonopin 4 times in 6 months. Last time on X, she up dosed me to 3 mgs X.

On last cross attempt, ended up in ER with profound w/d sx from X. Got new doctor. Final cross to K, structured, slow was completed 6/5/12-12/5/12.

Attempting liquid micro taper from K. Difficulty with micro cuts; significant w/d sx requiring several weeks of holding after each cut. Also concerned if it's possible to use pill/liquid combo for dosing.

Hope I Meet Other Benzo Taperers Here! I have tried ADs in past. Could not tolerate them, gave up trying, none for over 12 years.

I have been using Drs. Best Chelated Magnesium for over 2 months now. I use 400mg a day as I taper off of Xanax. I have not had any neg issues.

In fact, I am sleeping better, I feel better, I am better. I did try Calm, which is magnesium citrate and experienced the loose stools etc. I started with the

lowest dose also. This goes to show that not all bodies are alike. One must start at the smallest dosage and work from there.

inbetweenmeds

• Moderator Emeritus

Regarding transdermal magnesium oil, I can't really find any solid data on how well that absorbs through the skin. Some say yes, some say no. Does anyone have reliable information about that? Thanks.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

This is an interesting topic to me since my neurologist prescrbied me prescription Magnesium Oxide pills 500 mg (since they can be hard to find over the counter) along with 400 mg of vitamin B2 at onset of migraine. Sometimes this really works. I think Magnesium helped me through the Adderall Withdrawal. I was having bad body type cramps.

Finished slow taper on 4/6/14 from 20 mg to 6 beads over period of almost a year on Cymbalta and then quit cannabis around the time I DC'd Cymbalta.

Tried to go off completely 8/13 - 8/20 (didn't work) - Reinstated 10mg on 8/21/13

Off Adderall (2010 -2013) after 3.5 years since July 12th, 2013

Taking Tramadol 50 mg since 2007 for chronic pain

Lamictal 450 mg (from 2007 - 2009)

Lexapro (2004-2007 30 mg?)

Ambien (2009-2010)

Trazadone (2010-2011 for sleep)

2008-2010 -Trials of Wellbutrin, Paxil, Ritalin, Concerta, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Seroquel, Trileptal

Earlier history includes - long courses of Tricyclics, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil. Serzone, Celexa, Remeron, Zoloft for shorter periods.

Haldol, Lithium, Stelazine. Xanax, Clonipin, and Ativan have been used on and off, mostly Clonipin. Went through serious Xanax withdrawal a couple times in my life so far. Methadone (2003-2005 - psychiatrist/pain management doctor decided that was the first thing I ought to try for moderate chronic pain).  MS Contin 2005-2007 (aka Morphine)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy