If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

• Please log in to reply
554 replies to this topic

#73 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Locationpasco, washington state USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Aza, why do you think some of these preparations contain acid?

Hi Alto, Let me know what you think.

They taste acidic to me and I also thought about how the stomach uses acid to break down the magnesium into a form of magnesium that the body can obsorb. Both the Ionic fizz and Cal-Mag supreme performs some kind of transformation to the magnesium compound by fizzing.

Honestly I don't actually know that it is an acidic solution. I don't want to scare people away from these magnesium supplements that is not my intent.

Ionic fizz magnesium Pluss leterature can be found here:ioniz fizz magnesium Pluss
Serving Size: 1 Level Scoop (7g)

Amount Per Serving %DV

Vitamin A (as beta carotene) 250 IU 5
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 250 mg 416
Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) 100 IU 25
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCI) 1 mg 50
Folate (as folic acid) 50 mcg 13
Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 30 mcg 500
Calcium (from Ca lactate) 250 mg 25
Magnesium (from Mg carbonate) 300 mg 75
Zinc (from Zn lactate) 2 mg 13
Copper (from Cu gluconate) 250 mcg 13
Manganese (from Mn gluconate) 1 mg 50
Potassium (from K bicarbonate) 100 mg 3
Silica-rich bamboo leaf extract 60 mg *
Complete ionic trace mineral complex 10 mg *
Baron (from B citrate) 500 mcg *

*Daily Value not established.

Other Ingredients:
citric acid, fructoolgosaccharides, natural flavors, malic acid, stevia, lo han (fruit), beet root powder, grape skin extract.

Cal-Nag Supreme Literature can be found here: Cal-Mag Supreme

Deepest appologies if I'm wrong about the acidity of theses procucts.

Wish you all well.

#74 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

I would not think any of the magnesium-containing drinks are acidic. From what I can understand here http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss540 , magnesium contributes to alkalinity, neutralizing acidity.

http://humantouchofc...tacids-work.htm
How antacids work

Types of antacids

Antacids are made up of different kind of chemicals. Some of the common ones include aluminium hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate. Though most of these chemicals are used individually, you may find them used in combinations.

Why does an antacid fizz when you put it in water

Antacids contain sodium bicarbonate. That’s right— baking powder. Another important ingredient is citric acid. Both of these chemicals react with each other producing carbonic acid. In its liquid form this carbonic acid decomposes producing water and carbon dioxide. What this means is that the glass of water is very much like your favourite soda that also contains carbon dioxide in it. The fizz that you see is the carbon dioxide bubbles bubbling to the surface.

Also see http://antoine.frost...tzer-fizz.shtml Note that the result is a weak base, contrary to acid.
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#75 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

I would not think any of the magnesium-containing drinks are acidic. From what I can understand here http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss540 , magnesium contributes to alkalinity, neutralizing acidity.

http://humantouchofc...tacids-work.htm
How antacids work

Types of antacids

Antacids are made up of different kind of chemicals. Some of the common ones include aluminium hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate. Though most of these chemicals are used individually, you may find them used in combinations.

Why does an antacid fizz when you put it in water

Antacids contain sodium bicarbonate. That’s right— baking powder. Another important ingredient is citric acid. Both of these chemicals react with each other producing carbonic acid. In its liquid form this carbonic acid decomposes producing water and carbon dioxide. What this means is that the glass of water is very much like your favourite soda that also contains carbon dioxide in it. The fizz that you see is the carbon dioxide bubbles bubbling to the surface.

Also see http://antoine.frost...tzer-fizz.shtml Note that the result is a weak base, contrary to acid.

Thanks alto, how are you doing? How much magnesium do you take on average? When did you find out about magnesium? Did you benefit from it greatly?

It's good to know these magnesium supplements are not acidic.

With respect

#76 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

I've been taking magnesium a long time, from early in withdrawal. I don't remember how I found out about it. I used to put it in ice water and sip it when I was having a bad time. I'm now taking about 200mg per day, some in the morning and some in the evening. I just ordered Natural Calm -- with the fizz.
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#77 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Am I crazy or could these epsom salt soaks cause me anxiety? This is the second time I've done this. Maybe just WDs from the celexa

Hi Flower,

I have a link for you explaining why epsom salts soak is making you feel worse:When magnesium makes you feel worse

I hope this helps.

The best of luck.

#78 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

I've been taking magnesium a long time, from early in withdrawal. I don't remember how I found out about it.

I used to put it in ice water and sip it when I was having a bad time.

I'm now taking about 200mg per day, some in the morning and some in the evening. I just ordered Natural Calm -- with the fizz.

Alto hi,

You know what amazed me about magnesiumm, I took 4 epson salts baths (2 epson salts baths per day, 30 oz. epsom salts in 15 gallons of water) and swished with a solution of spson salts and spit out (1/2 teaspoon epsom salts in 4 oz. of water and and stirred untill disolved) 4 times a day for 2 days. And I don't imagine I infused more that 100 mg. of magnesium sulfate into my body system over 48 hours ( best guess as to how much magnesium I infused into my body) but that is all it took to ease the withdrawal from gabapentin.

And before that I was pretty well convinced that I would never be able to stop taking gabapentin. As the withdrawal was just so (god awful).

That sold me on magnesium. And quite honestly I had not heard of magnesium being used this way from any media source. Only my searches of on line forums into gabapentin withdrawal led me to magnesium. And this was an honest to god (hail mary) as in a desperate act because I didn't have any alternative play.

God bless magnesium.

#79 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I agree, magnesium can work wonders. I am a magnesium fan.

But, aza, it's not going to work for everyone. We must keep this in mind:

People in psychiatric drug withdrawal may be hypersensitive to magnesium like any other supplement.

If magnesium makes you feel worse, reduce or discontinue it.

You may wish to try it later, when your nervous system is not as reactive.

#80 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

I agree, magnesium can work wonders. I am a magnesium fan.

But, aza, it's not going to work for everyone. We must keep this in mind:

People in psychiatric drug withdrawal may be hypersensitive to magnesium like any other supplement.

If magnesium makes you feel worse, reduce or discontinue it.

You may wish to try it later, when your nervous system is not as reactive.

This is why I suggest apsom salts as the first course of treatment as it is a gentle low dose of magnesium and I agree that It can be activating and one may have to back off for a while but that doesn't mean giveing up on it or not trying it at all. Eating foods high in magnesium is a good idea but the farming has changed in such a way that much of the magnesium has been leached out of the soil so we may not get enough magnesium through our diet.

Dr. Carolyn Dean, link (the explanation is the 4th one down on the web page) sxplains why some people might have dificulty when they first take a magnesium supplement. This archive has a lot of information pertinant to the topic of antidepressant drugs and withdrawal, and I recomend going through the archive and looking at what Dr. Carolyn Dean and others have to say on this topic. Granted this is not the whole picture but what is said sxplains many things about magnesium and why it's an important treatment for the symptoms of the withdrawal we experience from these drugs.

My thinking on this is with the high incidence of magnesium deficiency in this county %80, the ones who are most likely to have a deficiency are peole whos bodies are put under considerabal stress and stress leaches magnesium. Certainly these drugs stress the body and leach magnesium. And if tolerated taking even a little magnesium through epsom salt baths will be good.

This is something every one can try and should try who are experiencing withdrawal. Many of the withdrawal events which are described, nausea, muscle cramps, heart arithmias, no appetite, headaches, anxiety, depression, unable to sleep, and so on are all symptoms of magnesium deficency.

With magnesium you are treating the underlying cause of the withdrawal a magnesium deficiency. Treat the magnesium deficiency and your withdrawal may not be as severe. Why not taper up on magnesium just as we taper off of the drugs. Slowly starting out with a very small amount of magnesium and gradually increasing the magnesium. We can try this and if it doesn't work well thats fine too. But if at first you try and you don't succeed doesn't mean giving up, try try and try again. Or start taking a magnesium supplement before starting to taper would be even better perhaps.

For example when I started taking (Jigsaw w/srt magnesium supplement) my first attempt was an utter failure (you warned me that it might be activating and it was). But I didn't give up I reassed what other supplements I was taking changed my diet and gave it an other shot and this time I my body was able to make the adjustment to the Jigsaw w/srt with little activation which was tolerable and within 5 days I was doing fine(no activation and benefiting from the magnesium. I started out slowly and gradually over time built up my dosage. And it worked. This is all I am trying to say, adaptive life style changes need to be made and I think the withdrawal symptoms can be mitigated or eliminated.

Maybe my experience was a fluke, I don't know. I do know that after reading about magnesium that I had all of the signs of a magnesium deficency.

Of course I didn't know this when I started epsom salts baths but I had to do something, it felt like the drug gabapentin was killing me.

And I'm convinced that I would still be in withdrawal or I may have given up trying to taper and upped my gabapentin to a level where I didn't experience withdrawal. And it might have been servral more years before the word filtered down to me that what I was experiencing was a magnesium defiency. And by then more damage would have occured to my whole body system.

What I am trying to say is magnesium can help in a big way but there needs to be more education and understanding about magnesium and how it works and the important role it plays in our lives and the proper way to take it. Much of this is explained in the link above

Knowledge is Power. Power allowes us to take back our lives and to be in control and not be controlled by the drugs. I felt absolutely helpless and out of control in the grip of gabapentin, a feeling which I'm sure resonates with many who have come to this forum seeking answers. Weather the drug is an ssri, tricyclic, benzo, gabapentin or other durg, magnesium may help mitigate the withdrawal if given a chance.

I'm just suggesting that magnesium be given a chance. And we can't do this very well if our knowledge and understanding of magnesium is lacking the fundamental knowledge needed to impliment it as a treatment in any sensable way for discontinuation withdrawal.

May you all have a good day.

#81 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Agree with all you've posted, except that Dr. Dean probably has not seen people with withdrawal syndrome hypersensitivity, and not all withdrawal symptoms are from a lack of magnesium.

#82 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Agree with all you've posted, except that Dr. Dean probably has not seen people with withdrawal syndrome hypersensitivity, and not all withdrawal symptoms are from a lack of magnesium.

We are in accord on magnesium, here is more info on magnesium hope this is not a repeat: Magnesium

#83 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

We are in accord on magnesium, here is more info on magnesium hope this is not a repeat: Magnesium

Hi all;

Ipurchased ph paper and it arrived in the mail yesterday.

I prepared the Ionnic Fizz Magnesium Plus and prepared it as instructed and stuck the PH paper in the solution, is definately acid, I also poured some vinigar into a glass to compare the acidity of the vinigar to the Ionic Fizz it apears that the ionic Fizz is not as acidic as vinigar but still acid. The same applied to the CalMag Supreme - more acid.

I wasn't sure the ph paper was working propperly and made a solution of soap and tested it and it measured very alkylin so the PH paper is working fine. I should be able to add a small amount of baking soda to the magnesium preperation to counter the acid.

Remag and Rna Drops. have not yet shipped. RNA Drops is an other Dr. Carolyn Dean product. Currently they are giving sample bottles away for the cost of shipping at about $20 for shipping. With any luck they will arrive sometime next week. 90 drops in the sample bottle enough for a months trial at 3 drops per day.

Right now I'm taking about 900 mg. elemental magnesium, I speculate that about 20% is actually being used by my system. If this is the case then I'm receiving the benefit of about 180 mg. magnesium + whatever my body obsorbes from the food I eat. It's barely enough to help reduce my head aches and back ache. The good is no gabapentin withdrawal and my anxiety and depression are gone, no heart palpatations and my teeth don't hurt anymore. With the remag 1/2 tesp twice a day should give me good usable magnesium around 500 mg. 100% fully obsorbed.

So long.

#84 GiaK

GiaK

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

I've not read this whole thread so I'm sorry if this is redundant. I wanted to tell folks about magnesium oil which for me has been really amazing. I have never had good response with mag taken orally and I've tried many different kinds. Epsom salt baths have always been good... but now I LOVE THIS STUFF: http://www.vitacost....sium-oil-8-oz-3 this source seems to be far less expensive then most and it's remarkably effective. In fact I need to be careful not to OD...it can make me woozy... 4 or 5 squirts rubbed into the skin 3 or 4 times a day seems good for me and I don't use other modes anymore. I put it on my stomach...it can sting some people...it doesn't sting my tummy but it will sting my legs...

Beyond Meds: http://beyondmeds.com/

I withdrew from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I took a bit over 6 years to do it. Finished on Feb 9 2010. I'm still recovering from iatrogenesis.

#85 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

I received the ReMag in the mail yesterday Dec. 13 it is a clear colorless liquid and tastes really bad but the taste doesn't linger, for ingredients:ReMag(recomend putting it in juice), I,ve decided to take a half teaspoon in the morning and a half teaspoon near bedtime. As yesterday I took a about 4ml. 250 mg. ReMag magnesium around 3 in the afternoon went for a walk came back and had lunch around 5 and then I took a nap as when I lay down for aboout 2 hours I was completely relaxed and quite comfortable but I don't think I could have done anything if I had wanted to.

It had quite a sedative effect. Taking the approxamately half teaspoon 125 mg. this morning the 14th. I didn't get nearly the sedative effect. In fact I went shopping and I've felt great all day. So far no sign of diarea no headache just feel fine and relaxed.

I plan to continue the Cal-Mag supreme but I'm going to stop taking the ionic fizz magnesium plus, and the Jigsaw magnesium w/srt. since the ReMag is absorbed 100% 250 mg. magnesium from the ReMag is a healthy amount of magnesium.

I realize that I've just started taking ReMag and unpredictable and predictable things can happen when taking oral magnesium supplements so the jury is still out on this one, I will stay in touch and let every one know how this new product is working.

I plan to stick to the plan as outlined above (half in the morning=125 mg. and half in the evening=125 mg.= total 250 mg.) for about 10 days and if there are no adverse events I will add a third dose of 125 mg. at mid day for a total of 375 mg. + the Cal-Mag supreme once a day (Cal-Mag Supreme comprises Vitamin D3 500 iu,N-acetylcysteine 200 mg., 200 mg. magnesium and 200 mg. calcium. for total=575 mg. magnesium. 200 mg. calcium. Eventually this is my goal.

Comments are welcome.

So far so good.

#86 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

I've been doing so well on ReMag I moved my time table up I now take 2 ml first thing when I get up in the morning. Then about 3 hours later I will take 2 ml. more amd then late in the evening an other 2 ml. and just before I hit the sack I take an other 2 ml. sometimes if wake up in the middle of the night I'll take an other 2 ml. seems easier to fall asleep when I tried this. So on average I'm taking 8 ml. a day = 500 mg. magnesium this is great as there is no diarea from this product. I have much more patience with people I am more courtious and want to help and participate in more activities. My headaches which would hit every 2 or 3 days are down to less than one a weak and instead of 8 or 9 om a scale of 1 being barely noticable and 10 being intolerable, what I experience now is 1 or 2 when I have them and I have gone for 10 day streches without any headache at all. I am calm and I am strangly anxiety free. i would say I experience boredom at times but it's not depression. The only pain that I still experience at times is the nerve damage I suffered a number of years in my lower back but it has been reduces by 50%, amd to top it off I have not experienced any withdrawal from the gabapentin. My appetite is good, and I'm not over eating or under eating. I cleaned my house the other day with no one pushing me to do so. For me that is quite exciting as I haven't been able to deal with for a very long time. I don't seem to experiencing any overdose symptomes I just feel normal and relaxed. I did have to stop taking the taurine as it was activating. But as soon as I stoped taking it the minor headaches I was experiencing went away. The cottage cheese which is high in taurine doesn't seem to bother me. I find I do better without a calcium supplement fewer leg cramps (not severe but noticable) so primarily magnesium a better diet and a natural multi-vitamin high in B vitamins. Over all I'm very pleased with the progress that I've made. later

#87 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Great information, thanks, aza.

#88 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi,

I purchased the ReMag today the discount code is "magnesium-miracle" I didn't get it right I didn't include the dash between magnesium and miracle.

I paid full price of $29.99 plus shipping and handling total $38.98.

Will let all know how this ReMag works.

Why don't you call the vendor, explained what happened, see if they will adjust the amount you paid? That has happened to me online, and usually the seller is accommodating.. they want your repeat business!

Hi Skyler,

I finally got around to asking about the discount code on the ReMag product, this is what she had to say:

"There is no additional discount offered for the ReMag. You do get a free E-Book written by Dr Dean when you order the ReMag. The ReMag is at an introductory price of $29.99.

Please let me know any further questions you may have."

She seems eager to answer all my question so I thought there might be some who would like to ask their own question's about ReMag so here is the Email address:

organicsabrina@gmail.com

I don't think I'm violating any privacy here as the email address above is freely available on the websight they have been very cooperative with in my dialog with them.

later

#89 Annie3

Annie3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I am so sensitive to ALL supplements taken orally. I have tried at various times taking Natural Calm magnesium drink and after a few sips I start to feel strange, a bit of anxiety, increasing head pressure and an almost stoned feeling. I bought the Natural Calm magnesium oil, diluted half in coconut oil and rubbed it on my temples, sides of my face, all on my neck and in my scalp. It seemed to take my headache away, relieved my neck tension and possibly took the pressure down a bit. So the result is completely different than if I had taken a mag pill or the drink. Why is ingesting through the skin different? If I can continue to tolerate the oil I would love to take other vitamins this way. Does anyone know of any other vitamins taken through the skin? I want to take Vitamin C, CQ10, and B1, for my MCS, but absolutely cannot tolerate them. My head sensations and anxiety ramp up on any of them.

1998-2013 Various antidepressants switches and CTs.

Benzo addiction unknowingly trying to cover withdrawals in 2011

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

Tapered Clonazepam from April to June 2012 from 1 mg to .25 mg (stuck)

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

February 2013 to December 2013 tapered off 25 mg Zoloft

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Hope this isn't to confusing.

#90 alexjuice

alexjuice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationUndisclosed USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi Annie, I experienced the same sensitivity. Over time this sensitivity did decline and I am able to take supplments normally today. Hang in there.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

#91 Annie3

Annie3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Thanks Alex, did you have sensitivities to everything as well or just the mag. I can't even take Advil I get the same reaction. But, the oil through the skin seems to be fine.

1998-2013 Various antidepressants switches and CTs.

Benzo addiction unknowingly trying to cover withdrawals in 2011

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

Tapered Clonazepam from April to June 2012 from 1 mg to .25 mg (stuck)

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

February 2013 to December 2013 tapered off 25 mg Zoloft

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Hope this isn't to confusing.

#92 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Here are instructions on how to make your own Epsom salts lotion http://www.thegfcfla...om-salt-lotion/

And how to make magnesium cream http://www.herbal-tr...sium-cream.html (you can skip the lavender oil)

Hmmm, I have tons of mag citrate capsules, maybe I'll try this.

Alto hi,

Have you read or studied transdermal application of Vitamins similar to the way we are useing transdermal Magnesium oil, is it possible to mix into the Magnesium oil a solution of vitamins. And apply this to the skin. For those who seem sensitive to just about anything taken orally this might be of benefit. Has anyone tried this?

#93 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have no idea. I'm sure some researcher has investigated transdermal application of vitamins, you might research this and start a topic on it, it would be interesting.

#94 GiaK

GiaK

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I have a friend...long-time survivor of withdrawal who is working with researchers to come up with additional transdermal nutrients...I don't really know anything about it though...all I know is it's being researched and people like us are the inspiration.

I withdrew from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I took a bit over 6 years to do it. Finished on Feb 9 2010. I'm still recovering from iatrogenesis.

#95 alexjuice

alexjuice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationUndisclosed USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks Alex, did you have sensitivities to everything as well or just the mag. I can't even take Advil I get the same reaction. But, the oil through the skin seems to be fine.

My sensitivities were extensive. I still must exercise caution, I should have made that more clear, but it's nothing like it was early in w.d

I have sorta avoided most OTC remedies for a while. My sensitivities were mainly with everday things like food, light, noise and vitamins/minerals. IN my case, I had trouble with epsom salt baths and transdermal mag -- same as with other forms of it. My magnesium sensitivity caused profound sedation and dream-like trance so I had to be very careful.

Now, I can take 1,000mg mag glycinate capsules and not experience anything noticeable. So it changes!

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

#96 GiaK

GiaK

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

my sensitivities so far have not changed at all...once sensitive I've remained sensitive to that substance...I hope it changes for me too

#97 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

I recently realized that taking too much magnesium citrate a day (400 mg. in three doses) was what was causing me diarrhea and making me feel somewhat down, so I cut out one dose. However 350 mg. to 400 mg. is supposed to be just barely enough to prevent a deficiency and I'm now taking only 266 mg.

I didn't feel like making my own lotion, so I ordered two bottles of it from Amazon and there's no information at all on the label about how much magnesium is absorbed from a certain amount of the lotion. Any ideas?

Oh, great. Parabens are on the label. So much for this stuff.

Would just dissolving some Epsom salt in water and spraying or rubbing it on myself work? Does anyone know what percentage of magnesium is absorbed from Epsom salt? I have a bag of it and it says that one teaspoon contains 495 mg. magnesium.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivinganti...oducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivinganti...r-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

#98 GiaK

GiaK

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I recently realized that taking too much magnesium citrate a day (400 mg. in three doses) was what was causing me diarrhea and making me feel somewhat down, so I cut out one dose. However 350 mg. to 400 mg. is supposed to be just barely enough to prevent a deficiency and I'm now taking only 266 mg.

I didn't feel like making my own lotion, so I ordered two bottles of it from Amazon and there's no information at all on the label about how much magnesium is absorbed from a certain amount of the lotion. Any ideas?

Oh, great. Parabens are on the label. So much for this stuff.

Would just dissolving some Epsom salt in water and spraying or rubbing it on myself work? Does anyone know what percentage of magnesium is absorbed from Epsom salt? I have a bag of it and it says that one teaspoon contains 495 mg. magnesium.

I buy a topical "oil" --it's not really oil, but it absorbs very well...it's great...I never did well with oral Mag got loose stools easily as well...and this stuff is wonderful

I link to the brand I use somewhere up above...I find it much more effective than epsom salts...but if you want to use epsom, the best way I found was to do a high concentration foot bath

#99 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks, Gia. It never occurred to me that magnesium might come in an oil spray. That opens up some more possibilities of making my own potion one of these days.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

#100 GiaK

GiaK

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

the spray is the magnesium in its natural form...I experimented using powder and making my own and did not like the results though I guess it's been done successfully...this bottle I get lasts a long time...so I prefer getting it in liquid form

#101 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Aha. Here's a recipe for magnesium oil, although I'm not yet sure where to find magnesium chloride: http://www.ehow.com/...loride-oil.html

#102 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Aha. Here's a recipe for magnesium oil, although I'm not yet sure where to find magnesium chloride:

http://www.ehow.com/...loride-oil.html

Hi Jemima,

Check out Amazon for Magnesium Chloride

#103 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Aha. Here's a recipe for magnesium oil, although I'm not yet sure where to find magnesium chloride:

http://www.ehow.com/...loride-oil.html

Hi Jemima,

Check out Amazon for Magnesium Chloride

Add a small amount of borax to your magnesium oil.

See Borax

You can find 20 mule team borax at most grocery stores in the laundry detergent department.

#104 aza

aza

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

In reading through the posts in this forum on magnesium supplements many people have had problems taking an oral magnesium supplement, and so to find an oral magnesium supplement which does not cause a laxative effect. I am not associated with any company that makes a magnesium supplement, I am not a sales man nor am I a doctor I am merly bringing to the awareness of this community that there is such a magnesium supplement on the market. It only seems natural that someone would evntually figure out how to develop a magnesium aupplement that does not cause diarea. Which is absorbed well and is effective. This products name is ReMag but if I simply give you the name of the product and you do a google search for ReMag you will have to include the word magnesium in the search bar other wise you will never find the web page where this product is sold. Thanks I wish you all well

#105 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

There are also Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) baths and magnesium oil for people who have trouble taking magnesium by mouth. Also, you can put mag citrate powder (or even mag sulfate) in water and sip it so you take a dose of magnesium gradually rather than all at once. I don't think we need another reminder about that product, aza.

#106 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I am having some fairly serious problems with heart palpitations. After doing some research, I've increased my magnesium to 300mg per day, in 3 divided doses. I'm sensitive to magnesium, I've very gradually increased my dosage from 75mg at a time. It seems taurine might be good for palpitations, too, so perhaps magnesium taurate might be the best form for this symptom. I have some on order, will report back.

#107 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thanks, aza.

This is a long undated piece in PDF form, How to Change Your Life with Magnesium, by Dr. Carolyn Dean, who wrote The Magnesium Miracle. This article says:

Where
 Has 
All 
the
 Magnesium
 Gone?

Even 
though 
magnesium
 is
 the 
most
 important 
mineral
 in
 our
 body,
 farming
 practices
 have
 depleted
 the
 soil 
of 
magnesium,
 making
 our
 food
 and
 our
 bodies
 magnesium‐deficient.
 One
 hundred
 years
 ago
 you 
could 
obtain 
500mg
 of
 magnesium
 in
 your
 diet
 per 
day.
 Now
 that
 figure
 has
 been
 reduced 
to
 150 mg. 
Most
 farmers
 do
 not 
remineralize 
their 
soil 
but
 mainly
 just 
use 
fertilizers 
that 
add
 nitrogen, 
phosphorous, 
and 
potassium.
 But 
the
 good
 news 
is
 that 
some
 farmers
 do.
 You
 can
 read
 about
 one 
such 
farm
 at 
www.organicconnections.com.
It’s 
called
 SEER
 Center: 
Scotland’s
 Remineralized
 Oasis.

Medicine 
may 
have
 advanced
 technologically, 
yet
 it’s 
not
 technology
 that
 we’re
 lacking
 but 
basic
 nutrients
 and
 building
 blocks
 that
 power
 our
 bodies
 and
 give
 us 
health.
 We
 can 
eat
 foods
 that
 contain
 more
 magnesium
 but
 if
 it’s 
not 
in
 the
 soil
 it’s
 not
 in
 the
 food.
 We
 don’t
 get
 enough
 magnesium
 from
 our diet 
most
 people
 have
 to
 rely
 on
 magnesium
 supplements.

It explains how calcium competes with magnesium, an important concept for those of us who are taking magnesium for its calming properties:

We’re
 living 
in 
a
 calcified 
world
 and
 I’ll
 tell
 you 
why.
 Magnesium
 controls
 electrical
 cell‐to‐cell
 communication 
allowing
 the 
correct 
amount 
of
 calcium
 to 
enter
 a
 cell
 to 
create
 cell
 contraction.
 This
 may
 be
 one
 of 
the
 hardest 
tasks 
set
 for
 magnesium
 because
 the 
level
 of
 calcium
 outside
 our
 cells
 can 
be
 tens
 of
 thousands
 of
 times 
the
 safe 
level 
allowed
 inside
 the
 cell.
 Magnesium’s
 job
 is made 
even 
more
 difficult 
because
 so 
many
 people 
are
 taking
 extra
 calcium
 in 
supplement
 form
 and
 don’t 
realize they 
need
 equal
 amounts 
of 
magnesium
 in
 the 
body.

#108 GiaK

GiaK

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

yeah...the whole calcium/mag thing means it's better to always take magnesium SEPARATE from calcium if you're taking supplements of both...even though they're often manufactured together... I've always made sure to not take them at the same time and not buy cal/mag combos