SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

RachelE: After 25 Years

RachelE

You don't have to go to a psychiatrist to get a prescription for Effexor. Any doctor (for better or worse) can prescribe Effexor. If you have recent prescription bottles you could take that to a doctor and request a continuation.

How do you talk to your doctor about tapering and withdrawal

What to expect from your doctor about withdrawal symptoms

Managed to get a refill for three months after all! My old shrink called my new pharmacy and renewed my drugs. Will have to pick up the abilify and lamotrogine as well as the effexor till I am able to come out to my parents about going off the drugs. Amazing how easy it was to come off those two, while coming off the effexor makes me feel like I'm on a trip through Dante's Inferno. And Virgil is nowhere in sight! :wacko:

Keep having these feelings of intense distress to the point of agony, and I can't trace it to any immediate cause or physical problem. Sometimes they go away and then I'm just exhausted :( Hard to do much of anything! Had an aunt accuse me of laziness; if she had known what I was experiencing she probably would have merely yelled at me for how stupid I was to want to come off my "medicine." :angry: Shoot, if the drugs were that wonderful and made us feel so great and healthy none of us would want to come off of them! You won't find people with paralysis arguing about their right to be wheelchair free. On the other hand if the wheelchair manufacturers deliberately made their chairs out of radioactive materials and the physical therapists did nothing but force those people to sit in those radioactive chairs and force them to be "chair compliant..." Then when the victim complains of hair loss, weight loss, and cancer they would sneer at them until they found out beyond the possibility of denial that they had cancer. Then they would say, "Oh, it must have been related to the paralysis. Too bad."  :P

I have been on so many medications since I was 20 and diagnosed as "mentally ill" that I have lost count.

Right now, however I have been taking:

Lamictal 25 mg: I went on it in March for only 13 days, then cold turkeyed off when I thought I was developing a rash because of it. Pretended to go back on it, but didn't. Not the best idea, but I had no way to reduce the dose. Anyhow I had no adverse withdrawal reactions, probably because I was on it for less than 2 weeks.

Abilify 20 mg:  I have been on this for several years. Actually at least half the time I have spent as a meds "consumer" I have been on this nasty pill. I finished tapering off it at the beginning of 2016. Was reinstated during the 4 days I spent in a psych ward in March. Tapered off it again in 10 weeks, from say March 15-June 30. Needless to say this is not exact, but I remember I was off it before July 4 (patriotic holiday in America!) I am doing fine, although I know I may have to wait till Christmas or later to know I am out of the danger zone for withdrawal psychosis. The main thing I notice about being off is that I no longer crave sweets all the time and am losing weight without trying. Good thing since I used to weigh 350 lbs.!

Effexor 150 mg: This is the real trouble-maker. Since I have no other way of tapering I do the best I can by bead counting. I unscrew the gel capsule and count out the tiny micro-capsules or beads inside. This works fairly well with the generic time release version. Only 120 beads to count of almost identical size. Lately I have been "holding" at 20 bead removal due to some major stress in my life. Moving hundreds of miles from my old home and a bout of strep throat that wouldn't respond to antibiotics.  I guess that means I'm on 120 mg of Effexor right now. On October 16 I am going to recommence my taper since I am safely moved and no longer have strep! 

I admit now that I did something stupid. I had trouble opening the extra strength gel capsules containing the beads so I reinstated at the original dose for a week. I know it's not good to play ping pong with my brain, but I could never open the capsules without spilling those microscopic balls all over so I was never sure what dosage I was taking! Thank the LORD that I finally have the old kind again and can safely count out the amount. I am now back on 135 mg and feel somewhat better.

October 30, 2016. I am down to 120 mg effexor. November 27, 2016. Down to 105 mg effexor. December 25, 2016. 90 mg effexor. January 15, 2017. 75 mg effexor. January 21. 82.5 mg effexor. January 23, 90 mg again. Feb. 14, 81.25 mg. Mar. 15, 72.5 mg. Mar. 27, 65 mg.  Apr. 9, 58.75 mg. Apr. 24, 52.5 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Great that your old doc called in the scrips. You don't have to have the prescriptions filled by the pharmacy or pick them up.  Tell to the pharmacist that you can't afford it, some "cock-and-bull" story, or the truth (you needed the scrip because you moved while tapering you're DOING WELL, and your doc wasn't up to date with the information.)

When I discovered that I could ask for part of the prescription I was stunned at the unquestioning attitude I'd had for years. My next renewal, I may just pick up 14 Cymbalta capsules because that's likely all I'll need to complete my taper; the other 76 capsules (90 -14) will sit unfilled until the prescription expires.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I have developed an annoying mannerism. I keep scratching my head and can't seem to stop though I am going bald in patches. This is worsened by itchy psoriasis. What should I do? :unsure:

I have been on so many medications since I was 20 and diagnosed as "mentally ill" that I have lost count.

Lamictal 25 mg: I went on it in March for only 13 days, then cold turkeyed off when I thought I was developing a rash because of it. Pretended to go back on it, but didn't. Not the best idea, but I had no way to reduce the dose. Anyhow I had no adverse withdrawal reactions, probably because I was on it for less than 2 weeks.

Abilify 20 mg:  I have been on this for several years. Actually at least half the time I have spent as a meds "consumer" I have been on this nasty pill. I finished tapering off it at the beginning of 2016. Was reinstated during the 4 days I spent in a psych ward in March. Tapered off it again in 10 weeks, from say March 15-June 30. Needless to say this is not exact, but I remember I was off it before July 4 (patriotic holiday in America!) I am doing fine, although I know I may have to wait till Christmas or later to know I am out of the danger zone for withdrawal psychosis. The main thing I notice about being off is that I no longer crave sweets all the time and am losing weight without trying. Good thing since I used to weigh 350 lbs.!

Effexor 150 mg: This is the real trouble-maker. Since I have no other way of tapering I do the best I can by bead counting. I unscrew the gel capsule and count out the tiny micro-capsules or beads inside. This works fairly well with the generic time release version. Only 120 beads to count of almost identical size. Lately I have been "holding" at 20 bead removal due to some major stress in my life. Moving hundreds of miles from my old home and a bout of strep throat that wouldn't respond to antibiotics.  I guess that means I'm on 120 mg of Effexor right now. On October 16 I am going to recommence my taper since I am safely moved and no longer have strep! 

I admit now that I did something stupid. I had trouble opening the extra strength gel capsules containing the beads so I reinstated at the original dose for a week. I know it's not good to play ping pong with my brain, but I could never open the capsules without spilling those microscopic balls all over so I was never sure what dosage I was taking! Thank the LORD that I finally have the old kind again and can safely count out the amount. I am now back on 135 mg and feel somewhat better.

October 30, 2016. I am down to 120 mg effexor. November 27, 2016. Down to 105 mg effexor. December 25, 2016. 90 mg effexor. January 15, 2017. 75 mg effexor. January 21. 82.5 mg effexor. January 23, 90 mg again. Feb. 14, 81.25 mg. Mar. 15, 72.5 mg. Mar. 27, 65 mg.  Apr. 9, 58.75 mg. Apr. 24, 52.5 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have a body-focused repetitive behaviour (BFRB).  I started knitting and crochet to give my hands something to do when I would otherwise be idle. You may find more helpful information at an American foundation's website: The TLC Foundation for BFRB.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I have a body-focused repetitive behaviour (BFRB).  I started knitting and crochet to give my hands something to do when I would otherwise be idle. You may find more helpful information at an American foundation's website: The TLC Foundation for BFRB.

Thanks for the link, Scallywag. I'm willing to try anything short of drugs! Or frying my brain.

Seems like lately I only experience two emotions. Intense anger which I manage to hide from others and severe sadness or despair. Sometimes I think even the numbness I used to experience most of the time would be preferable. And I have just begun my taper. :(

• 1 month later...

Tried juice fasting. Decided it was a bad idea after 16 hours. Still feeling awful; guess it's just an inevitable problem I will have to deal with for at least the next two years. Probably longer.

Letting my parents think I have CFD. I live with them now, due to inability to work and scarcity of cheap housing. They believe that my psych drugs are magic and keep me from running around foaming at the mouth and biting people like a rabid dog! Now isn't the time to tell them about my withdrawal from the poisons they imagine are helping me. :(

• 5 weeks later...

Man, do I feel awful! I feel like crud all the time. Depression has come back, and it has gone from mild to moderate. I decided to prevent it turning severe the only way I could think of. Tomorrow morning I'm reinstating at 88 mg. Not happy at all!  :angry:

It will help with the other symptoms too. I hope. Coughing, dry itching, headaches, and chronic exhaustion.

I just want my life back. I figure if I taper at the recommended rate it will take another 21 months. Ugh! Then another 12-18 months afterward to recover. I'm not a young woman and will probably die before I turn 60 because of the crap used to "treat" my imaginary disease.

Sometimes I wonder why I should bother.  :( Seriously.

• Moderator Emeritus

How long do you think you'll hold at 88 mg?

scallywag's Introduction

Decided against going up that high after all. Decided to only reinstate by 6 beads or 7.5 mg. I will give myself a full 29 days to recover before going down to 78.75 mg. In another four weeks I plan on dropping down to 75 again. Then 71.25 in the next four weeks. I try to only taper on Sundays, because that makes the tapering easier to track. 2-3 beads a month seems to be as much as I can handle now. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Rachel.

Thanks for your update, but I'm a bit confused. So are you now taking your previous amount of 75 mg Effexor and an updose of 7.5 mg for a total of 82.5 mg? 

You're last few reductions in your signature are:

135 mg down to 120 mg = 15 mg less, which is a 11.1% reduction

120 mg down to 105 mg = 15 mg less, which is a 12.5% reduction

105 mg down to 90 mg = 15 mg less, which is a 16.7% reduction

I think you're tapering too fast by using 15 mg reductions. It's best to taper by the percentage calculated on the last dosage. The amount of decrease is proportionate to the last dosage (not the original prescription) and keeps getting smaller.

Please see this thread for more information:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? 

I think if you slow your rate down (and do your calculations based on the last dose instead of a static 15 mg decrease), you'll feel better.

Please let us know what you think. 

Hi, Rachel.

Thanks for your update, but I'm a bit confused. So are you now taking your previous amount of 75 mg Effexor and an updose of 7.5 mg for a total of 82.5 mg? 

You're last few reductions in your signature are:

135 mg down to 120 mg = 15 mg less, which is a 11.1% reduction

120 mg down to 105 mg = 15 mg less, which is a 12.5% reduction

105 mg down to 90 mg = 15 mg less, which is a 16.7% reduction

I think you're tapering too fast by using 15 mg reductions. It's best to taper by the percentage calculated on the last dosage. The amount of decrease is proportionate to the last dosage (not the original prescription) and keeps getting smaller.

Please see this thread for more information:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? 

I think if you slow your rate down (and do your calculations based on the last dose instead of a static 15 mg decrease), you'll feel better.

Please let us know what you think. 

Shep, what you are saying makes good sense. (Math never was my strong point.)

That explains why I feel so sick and irritable all the time. Then I have to hide my suffering from my parents--who don't know I am going off my psych drugs--and this exhausts me more!

I have now reinstated again at 90 mg. After just a few hours I'm experiencing some relief. Is this real or just some placebo effect?

I plan on staying on this higher dose for the next 4-6 weeks. Hope that will allow my body time to stabilize. 

Once this has occurred, I plan on continuing the taper. At a much slower pace.

• Moderator Emeritus

Slower definitely sounds like a good idea.

Please let us know how you're doing at the 90 mg dose. 

And don't worry about the math. We can help with that.  :)

Thank you. I already have figured out what the reductions should be till I get down to 0.5 mg--the last step before I hope to go off entirely. I figured out how many reductions are necessary in the process. 33. If each reduction takes 3 weeks--this should be a minimum after 22 years on this crap--I'm looking at 99 weeks of withdrawal. And I already feel horribly sick all the time!

So at least 3 years of unbearable suffering is what I'm looking at. What's the point?

Really, I feel like giving up. I'm already 43--and feel twice as old. My life is over for all intents and purposes. In 3 years I'll be 46. Before I'm 60 I'll probably be dead.

Besides, why waste 3 years in unbearable suffering and unable to do much but groan in agony? :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Rachel, almost all of us have the same reaction when we do that calculation, "Ugh, it's going to take how long? That's ___ years from now. I'll be [age]. What's the point."  It's frustrating and discouraging. 

It grinds my gears how long it's taking me to get down from the 20 mg I stabilized on last year. However I had a bad experience tapering Effexor too fast in '04 or '05 and I don't want to go through that again.

The point is that going slowly the best known way to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Right now when your Effexor dose is still in the "therapeutic" range, you've got an excellent opportunity to stabilize and give yourself a hardy starting point from which to restart your taper.  Take as long as you need at this dose to get that solid foundation. While you're doing that, start with creating habits for self-care tactics: supplement with omega 3 and/or magnesium, gentle exercise, meditation, breathing exercises, etc.

Then make your first 10% (or less, :) ) reduction of 9 mg to an 81 mg dose.

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you, Scallywag. At least I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The worst thing is that it's all but impossible to estimate my energy levels from day to day. That makes goal setting impossible. 

I know I don't have ME, but for want of a better model I'm trying to adapt the idea of an "energy envelope" to my situation.

Having to wait 3 years to find out the extent of the iatrogenic damage and how permanent it may be is nerve wracking too! At least if I knew I would never feel much better than I do now, I could have closure and make long range plans around this horrid fatigue and pain.

• Administrator

Hang in there. We can't predict what will happen, you'll have to take it day by day, but it does tend to get better.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you, Allostrata.

For all reading this, I want to report the good news. I have made it through the danger zone for withdrawal psychosis. Aside from a couple brief periods of disassociation I kept in touch with reality. Hurray!

Please keep hope RachelE,

I am 28 I used a antidepressant for 2-4 months at age 18 then it made me have a seizure that made my arms come out in front of me and scared me so I stopped cold turkey it was a low dose of cittalopram. I went and got a good haircut and went to the gym with my brother in law alot and I started to feel good again. I was lucky.

At age 22 my skin condition 'eczema' was getting really bad weeping and shedding and itching hugely. I found a website on youtube by a fellow topical steroid withdrawal sufferer by a dermatologist called Dr Rapaport. The condition was known as topical steroid withdrawal or red skin syndrome.

I used to have perfect skin then after gradual stronger doses of topical steroids that came as my skin got worse over the years (funnily as the meds got stronger) I would have flares when I went to my cousens or friends and didnt take my creams with me. I connect these to waves now or windows. A long story short I am around 4 years topical steroid free and all my body apart from inner elbows scalp and neck has completely healed. It was the physical version of withdrawal that these mind meds cause. I had burning skin so red and inflamed and oozing puss and huge chunks of flaking skin. BUT THE BODY HEALED!!!! Its amazing.......

Unfortunately I started smoking weed to deal with the insomnia and to relax my mind as I felt so much mistrust with the world and docs that caused this and deny it.

I then had a combination of a stressfull time with work my girlfriend being very demanding and having her own AD problems with mood. I then got paranoid about the neighbours accusing me off being a abusive bf. I am sure the teenage daughter was saying the accusations to call the cops or something. I didnt know what to do then I left the house to go home and the psychosis got worse with feelings of being followed. I then asked my mum and family please dont let them put me on any mind meds as I had a BIG fear for them. I was kind of pushed out of the house by my family to go to the docs who sent me to the hospital. I said to my gf and dad before voluntarily going in please let me just go get some food and relax and think about this. My girlfriend started grabbing me and I said leave me so I ran away from her she chased me, (I was in slight psychoiss but I was more aware than ever of everything around me)

she then called the cops and they put me in a 72 hour holding place after 2-3 hours of a stressful police van journey in painful handcuffs.

I then walked into this terrifying facility with padded armoured rooms and I felt WOW THIS IS THE CARE THE MOST VULNERABLE GET it was like how can you pass a evaluation here for mental health even a sober person in mind would exhibit symtoms or develope them possibly.

My psychosis got worse and worse, mainly because I could not sleep properly and had not the past week. They then took me in a van n I ended up in hospital for 3 weeks on risperidone 2mg then 4mg as they upped it as I said there was no privacy to speak to doctors and patients were listneing and they were.....

I weened off the risperidone quickly over around 2 months. I maybe should have done it slower.... The crazy thing is here in the UK the lowest dose is 0.5mg so you cant safely do 10% tapers. So I had to cut the pills and gamble with dosage. The doc told me that the active ingredients are not equally spread around the  tabs this angered me... It was like the game was rigged .... ZERO care for withdrawing patients.

Any how I eventually got off the med I feel phyically more aware and in touch with myself, I have a NHS CBT pshychologist doing home visits she seems really nice but I am scared if I should trust her... as she may mistake my waves and windows of emotions and normalily as bi polar , I told her this and said I am traumatised by the dam 'mental healthcare' we have in the UK. She agreed it was a mistake and bad care also.....

Any way , take a look at a website called ITSAN, I know it is a survivor website of a skin condition. But the pictures of before and after for 'chronic eczema' should fill your beautiful spirit with some hope to see WE CAN PROVE THESE 'DOCS' WRONG.

WE ARE IN A TRANSFORMATIVE PERIOD IN HISTORY THESE NEXT DECADES. WE NEED YOU TO BE A PART OF IT AND EVERYONE OUT THERE EXPERIENCE IT. I believe that will be the moment the light really shines for us all stronger as we are given true respect in society.

I hope you had a good as can be weekend RachelE,

Warm wishes your friend here in the UK

Pete

Thank you, Pete. No help for me withdrawing either. Even the doctors willing to help people taper off are often woefully ignorant. They take patients off way too fast.

I tell Mom and Dad that I think I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Mom would freak out if she discovered I have gone off a lot of my "meds." I think more clearly than ever--except my short term memory is holey. Mom gets most of her psychiatric drug info off TV (sponsored by drug companies) and A Beautiful Mind (with NAMI's official stamp of approval.)

According to these sources of information I should be frothing at the mouth and chasing folks around with a butcher knife. Instead I'm perpetually tired and feel like I have the flu 24/7. This confirms my belief that that pharmpsychiatric industry is full of liars. I have made the right decision to go off their nasty drugs!

• 2 weeks later...

I am feeling rotten despite slowing my taper down as far as recommended. I'm feeling discouraged, almost hopeless when it comes to leading any but a very low-quality life, whether on drugs or off. Despite my anger, grief, and discouragement I am not suicidal; suicide is not an option anymore.

Does anyone reading this know of cases of people on "therapeutic" drug cocktails for 20-30 years who have managed to come off? Perhaps you could direct me to their websites or threads. Aside from the blogger of Beyondmeds I don't know of any. Kind of hoping her case was an unusual one because I don't want to wind up in that situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Topics merged:  from "Is It Realistic To Hope For Recovery At This Stage?"

asks a question, probably get better response here in your intro thread.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Mentor

I am feeling rotten despite slowing my taper down as far as recommended. I'm feeling discouraged, almost hopeless when it comes to leading any but a very low-quality life, whether on drugs or off. Despite my anger, grief, and discouragement I am not suicidal; suicide is not an option anymore.

Does anyone reading this know of cases of people on "therapeutic" drug cocktails for 20-30 years who have managed to come off? Perhaps you could direct me to their websites or threads. Aside from the blogger of Beyondmeds I don't know of any. Kind of hoping her case was an unusual one because I don't want to wind up in that situation.

Hi Rachel

to answer your question, I am 61 yrs old. I have been on psych meds off and on since I was 18 yrs old. I have been given meds from every single class except MAOI's

I was on tricyclic anti depressants, benzos, sleep meds, the first generation anti psychotics (stellazine, haldol, thorazine) and also the atypical ones, seroquel, zyprexa, lithium, depakote, lamictal, and have been on SSRIs almost continuously for about 19 yrs.

I was given very high doses of seroquel and went off it cold turkey. I had WD symptoms for about 9 mos, I guess, maybe a year altogether, but I didn't know it was WD because I wasn't aware that was a "thing"

I did not find out about withdrawal until I found this forum in Dec of 2015, after a second attempt to get off of lexapro. I was on a high dose of this as well, 40mgs finally dropping to 30 mgs when insurance balked at that dose, since even the manufacturer doesn't think anything over 30 mgs has any effect

I understand being discouraged believe me I do! I look at my drug history (when I'm feeling courageous) and I think, how am I even going to recover from this?

I am esp concerned because of multiple failed attempts, too fast tapers and cold turkeys, which are the worst thing you can do to your brain

but guess what? I healed from going off haldol, I healed from going of lithium (which I was on for many years) I healed from going off super high doses of seroquel. I healed from going off lamictal cold turkey, I healed from being bounced around on multiple med cocktails that included as many as 4 different meds at one time.

I am now just going off of lexapro, and it's hard, it's the hardest one so far, but I'm doing it and I KNOW that I am healing.

I could have done a LOT better if I'd gone slower and not jumped off a couple of times :/

but rather than beat myself up about that, I'm dusting myself off and getting back to it, and trying to do better. And by better, I mean, going slower, to reduce the amnt and severity of my symptoms

I look at it this way, I'm gonna get older every year regardless, so why not try to make the present time as pleasant as I can, why not learn as much about myself and what works for me, as I can? what do I have to lose?

I can't go back and un do all those years of taking meds and going on and off them carelessly.

No sense thinking about it, ya know?

it would only add to my upset, and I've got enough to do just dealing with every day life, right? :)

it will be ok. I know it feels bad now, but it DOES get better!

I have a ways go to being totally off the lexapro, probably another year or two. But I know I"m going to get there, and each and every week that goes by, I feel better in one way or another.

Each and every week, some symptom has either gotta a lot less intense or disappeared completely

this is healing! sure I might have a wave, a bad day or a few bad hours, in the future, but I'm trying hard not to live in fear of those

because I've gotten thru some really rough stuff already, so I can get thru whatever the future has in store for me, and you can too!

believing that, and accepting that it's a process or a long journey, really help it to go a lot smoother

sorry to have written so much< I hope you find something of use in all my ramblings

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Thank you so much for your very helpful post

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Thanks! Right now I really feel demoralized. Wrestling with pneumonia and a possible eye infection. At least those will get better soon.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Mentor

On 2/19/2017 at 1:51 AM, RachelE said:

Thanks! Right now I really feel demoralized. Wrestling with pneumonia and a possible eye infection. At least those will get better soon.

sorry you're sick on top of being sick from WD that surely doesn't help the situation now does it.

I hope you're taking extra good care of yourself!!

Edited by ChessieCat
changed quote after member name change

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Rachel - 

I'm thrilled to hear you are a writer - you really do have a gift with words!

Right now I think it's better to let her think I have some weird physical disease--like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome perhaps

That's what I tell most people - CFS and Fibromyalgia.  It's just easier to understand.  It's pretty grim when what is really happening is harder to understand than CFS/ME - which also has support groups for all of the misdiagnosis and misunderstanding that happens there!

Sometimes, it's just easier to give them something they will understand and have compassion for, than to try and explain "iatrogenesis."  

Most of my friends know I'm on a journey of de-medicating, and I try to be compassionate and understanding when my friends get drugged, but it's hard, when I know firsthand how much trouble their "happy drugs" have caused people here on SA.

So sometimes I have to put on a "friend" hat, and say "I'm sorry you have been so down, you know you can talk to me anytime."  It's not the best time to be evangelical (it seems that 80% of my local friends are currently drugged.  Either that says something about society, or it says something about my choice in friends!

They believe that my psych drugs are magic and keep me from running around foaming at the mouth and biting people like a rabid dog! Now isn't the time to tell them about my withdrawal from the poisons they imagine are helping me. 

Now that I'm on the other side, and I can say I've been off my drugs for over a year, and I've never been better mentally and emotionally, now the story is, "Oh, you must not have been a real bipolar."  Okay then.

and:

So at least 3 years of unbearable suffering is what I'm looking at. What's the point?

No, not 3 years of unbearable suffering.  

3 years of tapering is not all suffering.  Once you stabilise and get your taper under your control, and take it nice and gentle, it gets better.  Once your brain starts to come back online, and you get access to your feelings, it gets better.

The drugs cut you off from bad feelings - but they are non-discriminate.  They cut you off from all feelings.  That makes it hard to be human, to relate to people, to care about your job, your life, your relationships.  

But the feelings will come back.  It may be startling and upsetting at first (like crying for a week) - but then you will realize that joy, and excitement, and engagement will come back too (for some reason, it seems to be the sad and painful emotions that come out first). 

Then there will be no turning back.  At about halfway, I found that enough of my personality and brain had returned, that I could've stopped tapering then and been emotionally and mentally fine (but my kidneys were crying, so I had to taper the rest of the way).

So - 3 years of tapering does not equal 3 years of misery.  Far from it.  It will get better and better as you go.

Even though you are still struggling now, it will get better.

If I were you, I would consider low histamine foods.  It sounds like your histamine system is all out of whack.  You cannot eliminate histamines from your diet, but you can decrease them significantly.  Some of us have found that it improves autoimmune conditions like Hashimotos and arthritis.  Others of us just found it keeps infections away, as the system isn't in such severe inflammation all the time.

More information here:  Histamine food intolerance

I probably took my first psych med in 1988.  Of course, I'm a different case to you - I kept coming off and then getting depressed again, and going on again then having reactions and quitting, then going on again, until 1998, when I accepted the 'bipolar' label and the 'drugs for life' medical plan.

So I was on drugs for 20 years, easily.  But I was only rarely on cocktails (I was put on cocktails after 1998).

But there are others.  Shep (moderator) was drugged for decades and came off.  She still has manifestations from the drugs, but she holds a job, and if you've seen her posts on site, is very coherent and insightful.

Here are a few other ones:

Aria Permanent Damage after polydrugging - but happy to have her brain back

Claudius - 6-7 years of suffering withdrawal, coming out the other side

Jmim Recovery after 15 years of drugs

There are a number of stories here, too:  http://cepuk.org/recovery-stories/

some of them are more long term than others.  Sorry, I don't have my success stories sorted by "time on drugs."

But there are survivors, and there are many who would tell you they are better than they ever were on the drugs, and better in many ways than before the drugs because they've learned coping skills and tools for dealing with the life situations that were so difficult to begin with.

For constant infections, you might try gargling with hydrogen peroxide.  I used to get a lot of throat infections, and that helps immensely.  I know people who gargle with colloidal silver.  For sinus infections, i've even rinsed out my sinuses with weak hydrogen peroxide in salt water, but if that's too intense for you, you might consider a neti pot or saline sprays, to keep the sinuses clear.

I'm sorry it's so hard now, but it will get better.  

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I have an unusual question. In 13 days I will taper by another 10% or 8.75 mgs. My Effexor will be 72.5 mgs--less than half of my original dose!

My question is, how do I celebrate this milestone? I believe I should. With all the nasty withdrawal side effects I need to have some system of reward and a way of patting myself on the back. And something to look forward to as my daily dose of Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor decreases. Bit by bit.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it is a big deal.  Do what every you want to do, provided it doesn't upset your CNS :P so unfortunately that means no champagne, or sumptuous banquet, but I'm sure you'll think of something ;) just don't get over-excited! :D 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

I have a new monkey wrench in my withdrawal process. In addition to horrible problems that seemed more like MS or Guillame-Barre rather than FM or Chronic Fatigue I discovered I have ventricular problems in my heart aka heart disease. Iatrogenic no doubt.

I have reinstated my Effexor at 75 mgs yesterday. Not sure how long I will stay there, but I plan on tapering again. Maybe 3-12 months from now.

Many withdrawal symptoms already seem to be slightly better. My question is are there any extra tapering precautions I should take with heart issues?

• 4 months later...

Okay. Haven't posted since May. I have now been off my psych drugs for over 6 weeks. When I missed a dose or two (taking 37.5 mg) I noticed no big difference. A lot of you will protest, but I sped up the taper and went off the remainder (maybe 15 mg?) at the end of August. Feel physically wretched and very negative mind set which annoys my family. Really not markedly worse than when I was still on 37.5 mg though.