Jenk

Sensitivity to medications and supplements during withdrawal

28 posts in this topic

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced an increased sensitivity to medications and/or side effects from medications since stopping their SSRI. I'm 9 months out from stopping Prozac and have experienced sensitivity or side effects from medications such as Zyrtec and Claritin. I have taken both medications prior to taking the Prozac without and side effects. Now I have marked brain fog and drowsiness as a side effect. I've also noticed that after having a glass of wine or a beer I can feel the effect of it as if I've had 2-3 drinks, get much more lightheaded and woozy. I should also note that I am still having daily dizziness and/or lightheadedness since stopping the Prozac. TIA for the replies.

Moderator note: Please also see our discussion about antibiotic drugs:

Cipro, Levquin, Azithrymycin, Z-pack and other antibiotics

Edited by scallywag
added moderator note

Jenk - both Zyrtec and Claritin are antihistamines and have an effect on your CNS (central nervous system). Alcohol acts on your nervous system too. Because your fast taper from Prozac sensitized your CNS, it's not surprising that you respond strongly to neuroactive substances. I don't know if this sensitivity will persist over time, but it would be wise to be cautious about these substances:  for example, start with ½ doses of an antihistamine to see if you get the desired response and fewer side effects.

I have this symptom, before of SSRIs I tolerated any drug, now any drug  gives me an adverse reaction.

Thanks Scallywag for the reply!

Same for me Chuck83. I've had reactions to protein pump inhibitors, i.e. Prilosec, Protonix(anaphalaxis) and dexilant. I got lightheaded and racing heart on claritin. and Caffeine is way too stimulating now :(

Can I ask is it normal in a too fast withdrawal to have sensitivity to all medications and supplements? I am reacting to everything and get severe chest and lung pain after taking anything and I am frightened incase it never goes away. I'm worried incase I take an infection and need an antibiotic as my body will reject and my doctors have never heard of it. My doctors don't believe protracted withdrawal exists!

Yes it is normal Bluebird unfortunately. I am a year in and it does get better. I can take certain antibiotics not in the quinolone family. I also can take anesthesia but no opiates. I am still cautious about taking anything. I worry also like you do. It is a challenge to make doctors understand. They look at you like you are crazy. There are some great links in this site about medications people were able to tolerate and has been my guide. Everyone is different though but so far it has worked for me. Bless you dear!

Yes! Antibiotics are a big no no really ramp up my symptoms. I used too take anti histamines year round for my asthma but takeing now makes me very ill. I remember taking one of the older anti histamines 6 months ago too help my sleep and zonk me out which it did but felt out of it the next day, the left side of my body felt numb.

Food sensitivities, the reactions are milder now, I really need too do a process of elimination too rule everything out but the big ones are anything high in omega 3, or vitamin C. Things like cod liver oil, grass fed butter or just too much dairy overstimulates me. Maybe this is a histamine issue? I got into juicing in hopes of it helping my asthma but had too pack that in as it also ramped up symptoms. Sounds ridiculous, but eating more then four oranges or eating things like raw kale really space me out. I get light senseitive, and get a strange numbness/nerve pain? In my stomach.

Thank you Weasel and Cookson, this is truely awful and if I'd known what I was going to go through I think I would have stayed on the Prozac and put up with the suffering Inwas having as this is horrific.

I am really desperate here, I had to take a tablet yesterday for indigestion and was really unwell the whole day. I had nausea that I cldnt eat, retching, severe headache, weakness throughout body and breathing issues aswell as an awful depression that came over me. Is there anyway of correcting this? Will this ever sort itself out?

I'm going to my acupuncturist today and she is going to speak to me about histamine incase this is a problem

I suggest you read this before you go:  Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)

I have been having acupuncture for 6weeks now and feel it helps but after my last session I had hwadache and depression so I will speak to her today and tell her no stimulating. Is it good for calming?

Jenk I was in Prozac for 18yrs and I have extreme sensitivity to meds and now foods. It is horrific and Prozac seems to be the only one I hear of causing this. I am 9months out and feel it is getting worse. I'm very angry as I was left on a drug for 18yrs and then taken off rapidly by my doctor and my nervous system went in to shock and I'm still very ill.

I was on ZOLOFT for 15 years and after about 10 years I started reacting to other medications and supplements, but of course everything was blamed except the a/d. One GP told me that I had only a certain number of enzymes in my liver to help absorb these things and that I had used all mine up, so that it was like overdosing! (Or some such crap)

I am two years out from going cold turkey, still very sick and cannot tolerate ANY meds or supplements, not even a low dose of paracetamol, I cannot rub fungal cream or cold sore cream onto my skin, foods finally not too bad.

A (very bad swear word) nightmare, that's for sure!

Cherry47, so good to chat to someone that is going through this. I started having reactions about a year before I came of the Prozac and know that it was being on it so long that has caused this. Very difficult trying to get a doctor to listen. Others I know say it settles in time and that when can is out of balance it makes things worse. I'm having food sensitivity aswell, it's all very difficult. Take care

Hi,

Possible solution to food sensitivities:

For me, 2 years ago I started Paxil and the Paxil triggered hives / urticaria and angeodema over about 80% of my body. They were red hard 3D welts which turned white when scratched. These hives moved from place to place. At the same time I developed severe overnight stomach pain that I originally believed was acid reflux. I was unsuccessfully put on 6 different anihistamines at once ( benedryl children's dye free, hydroxyzine should be non flavored) claritin, singular (made me more depressed), allegra, Zyrtec / Xyzal and a ppi? Type tagament? But the hives, and angeodema continued. My allergist apparently sees this 3-4 x per year with various drugs, usally SSRIs causing hives, angeodema and anaphylaxis. He wanted me off the 20 mg Paxil immediately but a jump from 15mg to 12.5mg caused me to become accutely suicidal. For the first time in my life I made a plan and thought that it was a good idea. So since I couldn't stop for the last 15 months or so I have been tapering off Paxil. Now from 20mg on 0.375mg and still reacting with tears and anxiety to each and every taper.

It turned out that I suddenly have a salisylate sensitivity so severe that only cutting out all high salicylate food and body products even my toothpaste I am able to be hive and antihistamine free,

The diet is Failsafe diet out of Australia.

Read Chamomile tea

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1406

Try to eliminate everything for about two weeks and then try to desensitize.

Cherry47

I was on ZOLOFT for 15 years and after about 10 years I started reacting to other medications and supplements, but of course everything was blamed except the a/d. One GP told me that I had only a certain number of enzymes in my liver to help absorb these things and that I had used all mine up, so that it was like overdosing! (Or some such crap)

I am two years out from going cold turkey, still very sick and cannot tolerate ANY meds or supplements, not even a low dose of paracetamol, I cannot rub fungal cream or cold sore cream onto my skin, foods finally not too bad.

A (very bad swear word) nightmare, that's for sure!

. Cherry47 Can I ask what your symptoms are when you take medications or supplements? I start to feel unwell after a few hours I get tightness in throat, feel ill through throughout body, weakness, nausea, sore lungs and awful pain just below rib gage and in liver area and then pain in lower tummy area. Thanks

Jenk I was in Prozac for 18yrs and I have extreme sensitivity to meds and now foods. It is horrific and Prozac seems to be the only one I hear of causing this. I am 9months out and feel it is getting worse. I'm very angry as I was left on a drug for 18yrs and then taken off rapidly by my doctor and my nervous system went in to shock and I'm still very ill.

I also have extreme sensitivity to both food and meds.  I was on Prozac and Elavil and benzos.  If I eat something it can start symptoms like burning pain down my back and arms or inner trembling. Same for any medications I used to tolerate.

Have you seen any improvement? How long have you been totally off meds?

Any updates on this anyone?  I have been having sensitivity/adverse effects to almost all meds and several foods for several years myself.  I am  ( at least 6- 7) wondering if this will ever improve.  I haven't been able to take iron, phenergan, antihistamines, most antibiotics, tylenol, topical lidocaine, multivitamins, b vitamins (can tolerate 2000 units of vitamin D now wasn't able to take any 1 year ago).   All which were medications that I could try with no issues prior to SSRIs.  The only medication I can tolerate is advil.  I have been advised by my primary care and ob/gyn to have a breast reduction, but am too concerned about the anesthesia, (and epinephrine and lidocaine usually used during this procedure).  I am on such a low dose now I wonder if the problem has been the luvox, due to the many, many drug interactions, or the withdrawal as I have been tapering for such a long period. 

I also have not been able to tolerate many smells sine approximately 7 years ago.  I can't walk through the laundry aisle at the grocery store.  My husband will get the free and clear laundry detergent that I can tolerate being around, and we have found a shampoo that doesn't cause problems, and ivory soap seems to not cause issues.  I feel sorry for my teenage daughters as I cannot tolerate perfume, nail polish, and many other smells that I use to have no problem at all with before.  I would please like to know if anyone has improved with their sensitivities/ severe adverse reactions to medications/supplements, foods, and smells. 

Bluebird2009, sorry I missed your post. Mostly I feel grossly ill throughout my whole body as you said, which is the same as the major symptom I still fight these days. I just get swamped by these random waves of gross illness and any meds etc brings this on. I had a quarter of a natural laxative the other day which was enough to upset me.

So, no one has recovered from this aspect of ssri use and withdrawal?

I am now supersensitive to all the drugs I try, or supplements, even my physician is amazed at a lot, he thinks I can be sensitive to ONE medical treatment like the psycho-pharmacological. But He can not understand how any other medication or medical precedure can hurt me, It is also said that he does not know anything about WD, and about hypersensitivity to the nervous system like all doctors, or other MD students like  my colleagues, Who They are always amazed at how I react badly to each drug.

Unfortunately, in a few months, I may need surgery to solve my hemorrhoidal pathology problem, and I am very afraid of reacting to anesthesia.

I'm sorry you are going through this.  Let us know how you do/

So, no one has recovered from this aspect of ssri use and withdrawal?

I have spoken to people on other sites who have recovered from this sensitivity to meds problems, but I think it takes a while. One girl recovered after 3.5years

Thank you Bluebird!  That is some hope, and hope is so important!  :)

Hopefully somebody can give me some advice. Unaware until I found this site, that withdrawal can make you so sensitive to medicines etc. 

I was on a steroid inhaler for about four years before citaloprom pooped on me. Went into withdrawal a couple of months later or so I thought. Developed blister rash around my mouth and chin, cramp in legs and toes, purple bruising on hands and arms, more facial hair on upper lip and chin, diarrhoea and anxiety. All new symptoms I had never had before. Hence trips to gp who insisted cause anxiety. The rest of the story is on my signature, in short, two years of hell. As you can see on my signature came off the inhaler for a non steroid one after endocrinologist pointed out it could be a problem. Found out my symptoms were caused by the inhaler which presumably I had become sensitive to after the poop from citaloprom. If the gp had bothered looking up the side effect of these inhalers on the first visit he would have known straight away instead ended up on cipralex which has given me hell for two years .

Since then if I get chest infections any antibiotic reacts very badly, reduced to only one being able to being used. Chocolate doesn't seem to do me any good. The last private gp I saw while trying to work out what was going on with me prescribed beta blockers to try and slow everything down and second day my blood pressure flew to 210/ 101.  Came off them fast.  

I tried 500mg of vitamin c before bed and again in the morning earlier this week to try and calm the anxiety which is crippling while reinstating cipralex at the lowest dose for it to make everything worse including diarrhoea. Probably a stupid thing to do until i can balance from from the reinstatement but just desperate. 

Can anyone give me advice from their own experiences if this sensitivity will ever go away or is it something else I'm stuck with?