IDK: Risperdal

IDK

I took Risperdal for almost a month, first 4 mg then 2 mg and finally 3 mg. I stopped to take it a few weeks ago, with my doctor's permission. Since the start of the therapy (early August 2016) I feel a severe headache, absence of emotion (specifically happiness and sorrow) and generally speaking I don't feel the same, I feel I can't enjoy doing what I was doing before. These symptoms are present even now that I don't take the medication, although with much lower intensity. Since I'm not followed by a psychiatrist anymore, I didn't taper off, I stopped cold turkey because my family doctor didn't advise me about lowering the dosage, so I thought it was ok to stop at 3 mg. I would like to ask: is it possible that I suffer from brain damage caused by Risperdal and that the problems I listed before are due to the medication? Moreover, are there risks of withdrawal symptoms and did I make a mistake by stopping the medication this way? Thank you for your attention, I need some advice.[/size] Edited by scallywag
tags added

Took Risperdal (4 mg for one week, 2 mg for some weeks and 3 mg for three days) from early August to early September 2016.

• Moderator Emeritus

IDK -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.

Most of us are here because our doctors are woefully undereducated about withdrawal syndrome from discontinuing SSRIs.
What is withdrawal syndrome

You may find that your symptoms are listed in the "What is withdrawal syndrome" topic, or in this topic:
Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.
Please put your withdrawal history in signature

Are you currently taking any other medications -- prescription for non-psych conditions, over-the-counter, street drugs, or supplements? If so, please include those in your signature.

Your experience since stopping Risperdal is your CNS (central nervous system) working to restore functions to a non-drug state. It made many changes while you wer taking Risperdal and now is undoing those. Unfortunately this shows up as disconcerting and sometimes painful symptoms. These to topics may give you a better explanation than I can:
How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"
Youtube video, 3 min 44 sec: Healiing from antidepressants -- Patterns of recovery

The best (well truthfully the only) remedy other than time for withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate a very small dose of the drug that was discontinued. Please do not reinstate any Risperdal -- at any dose -- until we've had a chance to see your history and confirm other details with you. In the meantime, this topic will give you information about the benefits and the risks:
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

If you decide you want to reinstate, these topics will be relevant:
Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for the links. So apparently it's just a matter of time? What I should do to restore my psychophysical condition after taking that drug for one month? Is it even possible to restore it?

Took Risperdal (4 mg for one week, 2 mg for some weeks and 3 mg for three days) from early August to early September 2016.

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you know the dosage of Risperdal you were prescribed? Please update your signature with

1. that dose and
  2. the actual month, e.g. "May 2016",  you took the medication.

Please don't start spending (wasting?) money on treatments or supplements. The only known effective remedies for symptoms after discontinuing a psycho-neuro-active medication are reinstatement at a very low dose and time. So yes, it's a matter of time and patience.

It is possible to recover from your exposure to Risperdal -- other people have recovered completely.

Two substances that help many people as they recover are Omega 3 fish oil and magnesium. Most of us get very little of either in our diets and both of these simple supplements support the CNS (central nervous system).
Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker
Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

If you decide to try either of them, start low and go slow:  please start with one at a low dose, ½ or ¼ of what the bottle suggests, and increase slowly to a full dose over several weeks.  This slow and gradual approach is best for seeing whether you have a are negative response. If you do, you'll know what caused it. If you start taking 2 or more substances at the same time and have negative effects, identifying the cause is more difficult.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Do you know the dosage of Risperdal you were prescribed?

I was prescribed 4 mg a day but I actually took 4 mg for only a few days,, then I passed to 2 mg for some days and finally 3 mg and then I stopped

Please don't start spending (wasting?) money on treatments or supplements. The only known effective remedies for symptoms after discontinuing a psycho-neuro-active medication are reinstatement at a very low dose and time. So yes, it's a matter of time and patience.

Is the reinstatement absolutely necessary? Can't I just wait without reinstating the medication?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you can allow the withdrawal symptoms to resolve over time.

scallywag's Introduction

Yes, you can allow the withdrawal symptoms to resolve over time.

Thank you very much for the info. Do you know how much time should I wait for the disappearing of the withdrawal symptoms, considering I took it for one month?

• Moderator Emeritus

It's impossible to predict how long your withdrawal symptoms will last. Every one's recovery is different -- you have a unique CNS (central nervous system). Your symptoms will lighten and dissipate. They may come and go in waves, so be prepared.

The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi IDK,

I've quoted this post from NicoBicko's topic because it is about your own situation and will keep your history in one place.

Same situation here. I took Risperdal for one month in August 2016 (4 mg for few days, then 2 mg and finally 3 mg for few days) it's been some weeks since I stopped (without tapering) and I have severe headache, anhedonia, apathy, loss of libido, loss of interests and motivation and no sex drive. 

Please, if someone has some tips for recovery or infos about withdrawal write it or send me a private message. I need help.

This is your Intro/Update topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I took Risperdal for one month in August 2016 and I wanted to know which supplements should I take in order to help my brain recover.

Do you have any advice?

Edited by scallywag
moved from new topic in Symptoms forum

• Moderator Emeritus

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Let us know how you're doing.

scallywag's Introduction

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Let us know how you're doing.

How much of these should I take?

• Moderator Emeritus

The linked topics have discussions about formulations and amounts.

Pick one of the supplements, either fish oil or magnesium.  Start low and go slow:

1. Start with ¼ or ½ of the amount recommended on the container. 
  2. Observe your response to the addition over several days.
  3. If no negative reaction, make a small increase, e.g. another ¼ of the recommended amount.
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until you reach the recommended amount.

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 weeks later...

Do benzos worsen the symptoms of Risperdal withdrawal? Sometimes I take Lorazepam when I have panic attacks. Is it dangerous? If so, how could I treat my panic attacks and anxiety (which I'm quite sure are WD symptoms)?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, benzos can worsen your withdrawal from Risperdal, even if you only take them occasionally. For some people, it seems that occasional use is all it takes to set up dependency.

Please read about Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 weeks later...

I have a doubt about tapering. When I came off Risperdal, I didn't know how to taper, so I passed from 4 mg, to 2 mg, then 1 mg and finally 3 mg for a few days because my criminal psychiatrist wanted me to increase the dose. And finally I stopped cold turkey. All of this in just one month. Are these rapid changes of dosage dangerous? Now it's two months since I stopped, could these dosage changes have leaved me with some kind of brain damage? I'm seriously worried

Towards the middle of August I started to feel that my tongue has become rigid and pushes forward. Still I feel a protrusion, although still not out of the mouth. Can it be tardive dyskinesia induced by Risperdal? I know Tardive Dyskinesia is permanent and there is no cure for it. I want to die right now. If it turns out it's Tardive Dyskinesia, I will end my life. Damn I'm so hopeless and desperate. I would rather have a cancer!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi idk,

If you are feeling suicidal I suggest you seek local support.  SA's link:  for-those-who-are-feeling-desperate-or-suicidal

And suicide hotlines in Switzerland:

La Main Tendue

Secretariat central
Zahringerstrasse 53
Case postale 835
CH-3000
BERNE 9
Hotline: 143
E-mail Helpline: verband@tel-143.ch

PARSPAS

CP 2287 - 1950 Sion 2
Hotline: +41 (0) 27 321 21 21
24 Hour service: check-mark.gif

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Towards the middle of August I started to feel that my tongue has become rigid and pushes forward. Still I feel a protrusion, although still not out of the mouth. Can it be tardive dyskinesia induced by Risperdal? I know Tardive Dyskinesia is permanent and there is no cure for it. I want to die right now. If it turns out it's Tardive Dyskinesia, I will end my life. Damn I'm so hopeless and desperate. I would rather have a cancer!!

This can go away.

Do what you can not to worry about it.

Other than this, what other symptoms do you have after going off Risperdal?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This can go away.

Do what you can not to worry about it.

Other than this, what other symptoms do you have after going off Risperdal?

Really? So it's not permanent? I am scared because I've read that muscular effects of antipsychotics can be permanent.

Other than this, after going off Risperdal I have apathy, anxiety and panic attacks, though the last two ones have decreased comparing to one month ago.

What do you think about doing neurological tests such as PET or EEG in order to identify brain damage from neuroleptics?

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is SA's discussion (especially see Posts #20 & 21):  brain-scans-fmri-qeeg-pet-or-spect-for-psychiatric-problems

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey IDK, I've been studying TD & other muscular problems, and I can affirm what Alto said:  people get better, when they get off the drug.  And wait.  And be patient and kind to their body and brain.

Can you please update your signature to show which dates you took which doses?  Were you only on Risperdal for 3 days taking a different dose each day?  Or 3 weeks, taking a different dose each week?  This could make a difference in your recovery time.

I've heard that weightlifting, circuit training is especially good for rebuilding the dopamine circuits of the brain - but go gently, if you are in withdrawal it may drain you instead of building you up.

Learn about Waves and Windows, and the way that the symptoms wax and wane, and even shift into different symptoms.

By this time next year, you should see huge improvement, especially if you work on some Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms to help you heal.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I've read that neuroleptics affect the basal ganglia of the brain, which controls movement, cognition and emotion. I'm pretty sure is the basal ganglia I should recover but I don't know how

Can you please update your signature to show which dates you took which doses?  Were you only on Risperdal for 3 days taking a different dose each day?  Or 3 weeks, taking a different dose each week?  This could make a difference in your recovery time.

I took 4 mg for one week, I felt zombie-like and almost dead so I switched to 2 mg for some weeks, tongue thrust began, total apathy and anhedonia, I told my pdoc these problems but the criminal witch said it was all "obsessions" and that I should not learn about side effects on the internet (LOL) and said I should increase the dose to 3 mg, so I finally took 3 mg for just three days and then stopped taking the drug at all because I didn't want to live like that.

And the funny part is I shouldn't have taken Risperdal at all because I'm not psychotic nor bipolar nor schizophrenic, they prescribed it to me without telling any diagnosis, without telling me why I should take this drug, my mother sent me to the psychiatrist becuase I was bullied at school, I would rather be mocked and insulted instead of taking this crap

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey IDK - thanks for the info!  So you were probably on the drug for just under a month?

So you are going into 7 weeks off the drugs?  That is about where the healing starts.  
Because of the dose changes it might be a little slower.

Expect to be healing for awhile.  And maybe you're right, it's the basal ganglia, (which is affected by these drugs which hit the D2 dopamine receptors).  I was just thinking about TD & iatrogenic parkinsonism - which - as I said before, will get better with time, and patience, and self care.

So I still think that the slow, rhythmic movements of weightlifting and circuit training could be helpful to you, or maybe you have another activity where you can activate your motor systems and "repattern" your nervous system.  Like tai chi or yoga, are also good for all kinds of psych drug withdrawal.

Try this one, see what you think.  Even better, see how it feels:

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Hey IDK - thanks for the info!  So you were probably on the drug for just under a month?

So you are going into 7 weeks off the drugs?  That is about where the healing starts.  

Because of the dose changes it might be a little slower.

Expect to be healing for awhile.  And maybe you're right, it's the basal ganglia, (which is affected by these drugs which hit the D2 dopamine receptors).  I was just thinking about TD & iatrogenic parkinsonism - which - as I said before, will get better with time, and patience, and self care.

So I still think that the slow, rhythmic movements of weightlifting and circuit training could be helpful to you, or maybe you have another activity where you can activate your motor systems and "repattern" your nervous system.  Like tai chi or yoga, are also good for all kinds of psych drug withdrawal.

Yes, I was on the drug for one month. I don't know if it could be helpful, but I have a cyclette at home, do you think it could be useful to ride it as physical exercise for withdrawal?

As for the basal ganglia, do you know any treatments I could do in order to recover it?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey IDK - 

Weightlifting is better than cardio in my understanding.  

You can try the cyclette, gently - it's always good to keep moving.  It is better if it is one of those that makes your arms move too - to coordinate left and right in opposite motion.  But you know what?  Walking is cheap, and easy to do - and makes that same motion!

So keeping moving, gently, is a good thing.  If any exercise seems to make you worse, rest, and scale it back.

There are a million videos on YouTube, some of which can address body-weight body building (using your own weight to make resistance in exercises), or even - fill water bottles with water, and do some weightlifting with them. 

To help heal your brain:

1.  Time, time and more time.  The docs have no idea what they are doing when they hand out these pills.  It takes time to get over them.  If you were on them for a month, you should be feeling a lot better by 6 months out, and continue to improve over the next 3 years.  Yes.  I said years.

2.  Rest.  Allow yourself to sleep.  Most of our tissue repair and rebuilding happens while we sleep.  Don't chide yourself for being lazy - you are healing - and your body and brain need rest, calm, and relaxation.

3.  Gentle exercises which combine breath with muscle action.  Whether this is walking, weightlifting or chi gung, it's up to you. What did you think of the video?

4. Some sort of mental activity - challenge your brain for at least 10-20 minutes per day.  Whether that is reading something challenging, or doing sudoku, or challenging your senses (smell, touch, taste, hearing, sight - example, run cold water over your hands to bring yourself into the present) - mix it up, and build yourself a toolkit of things you can go to.

5.  Build that toolkit of "things you can do when you don't feel well."  Distractions, watching TV (again, it's best to avoid violent or enraging TV), take a walk, take an epsom salts bath (one of my favourites), do star jumps, curl up in bed with a book, turn the phone and TV off and listen to music.  Dance.  

The more you use your body and mind (gently - because if you have any reactions, then you need more rest!), the more you are sending your awareness into your body and mind, and helping it to heal.

I'll be away from my desk for awhile, so I hope you've found something here that can help you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey IDK - I just started reading this site, which contains a great list of healing activities.

The focus is on the vagus nerve, but as you read, you will see that it does many of the things that I was talking about, and more!

https://selfhacked.com/2015/07/30/28-ways-to-stimulate-your-vagus-nerve-and-all-you-need-to-know-about-it/

I sometimes ask myself: will I ever recover? Is it a scientific certainty that it is possible to recover from this drug? What if the damage is permanent? Or maybe it is a 50% possibility? These are very important questions, but I really don't know if the answers are available

Today I felt terrible. Panic attack and vomit. Plus the tongue thrust and stiffness came back.

I've not started taking supplements yet, but I did a research and I identified some useful ones to repair the neurotransmitters: Tyrosine, Phenylalanine, 5HTP, Tryptophan, Phosphatidylcoline and Phosphatidylserine. Do you know these supplements? Do you think they could be helpful for me to heal?

• Moderator Emeritus

Risperdal blocks dopamine receptors. But is there a way to repair dopamine receptors? Or do they repair by themselves? How much time should pass for them to repair completely

• Moderator Emeritus

When we talk about the recovery process of the CNS (central nervous system), dopamine receptors are part of that recovery. Any neurotransmitter receptor or transporter cell that is affected by a medication is included in the recovery from the medication.

The descriptions at these two links might add to your understanding of this:
How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"
Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

There are no established timelines for how long recovery takes. There are so many influences on this that each person's situation is best treated as a study with a sample size of 1. Very, very little research has been done about recovery from these medications because pharmaceutical manufacturers and the vast majority of medical professionals don't believe long-term withdrawal effects exist.

Robert Whitaker cites hopeful studies in his book, Mad in America. One compared the functioning of those who discontinued neuroleptics (e.g. Risperdal) against those who continued. The research found that for the first 2 years functioning was lower for those who had discontinued medication, but after that there were noticeable improvements for those who had discontinued and their functioning exceeded that of those who had continued meds.

scallywag's Introduction

Did anyone experience headaches while taking or after quitting drugs? I had headache while taking Risperdal. After I quit it went away for a couple of months but now I have headache again. I don't know if this one is due to Risperdal...