If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Need some info

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dalsaan

dalsaan

• Moderators
  • 2,039 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together an academic paper related to antidepressants and I have a quick question. Australia provides government subsidies for most antidepressants through the pharmaceutical benefits scheme. Are medications subsidised like this in other countries? if not, who pays for it and under what conditions? Does it depend on whether you have insurance and who with?

I could research this but I thought I would seek the help of my community first

Thanks

Dalsaan
Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.
Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.
Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.
Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.
Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).
Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivinganti...ic/2250-dalsaan

#2 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

Hi Dalsaan

This is the situation in nz ...not sure if this helps.

http://www.health.go...ription-charges

Many medicines in New Zealand are subsidised by the Government. You make a small contribution to the cost of the medicines you receive when you pay a prescription charge.

All the best with the paper.

nz11

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am)28 Sept 15 (5yrs drug free), cf, cmw, insomnia  horrifying pssd continues, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, cognitively doing heaps better. 28 Sept 16 after 6 yrs start working again on a casual basis.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#3 dalsaan

dalsaan

• Moderators
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:05 PM

Thanks NZ, that's the same kind of set up.

Anyone with info on Europe, the US, Canada
Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.
Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).
Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

#4 PluckyPony

PluckyPony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:51 PM

The US healthcare system confuses all but the wonkiest political science experts, but I will give it a go.

Question: are antidepressants subsidized?

Partial answer: Yes, but the extent depends on the state of residence, income, and if you receive insurance from Medicaid (State-run, federally funded through block grants, primarily for poor and/or disabled under 65) or Medicare (health care for those over 65). 

This link explains difference between the two programs:

http://www.diffen.co...aid_vs_Medicare

This wiki page discusses the Medi-Cal program (funded by Medicaid), the indigent medical insurance plan for the state of California.  Every state has its own model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medi-Cal

In California, if the state labels you as mentally disabled, you can get your anti-depressants for free, depending on your income level.  If you make more than 250% above the federal poverty level as a working disabled person on Medi-Cal, you must pay a share of cost (co-pay).

Official websites on the programs listed:

Medicare.gov

Medicaid.gov

I didn't touch on private insurance, but that's an interesting monster in itself.  Private insurers have drug formularies that they base the co-pays on.  Those cost differ from company to company and plan to plan.

Good luck dalsaan!

Edited by PluckyPony, 06 October 2016 - 06:52 PM.

2006-2009 Zyprexa and Wellbutrin (dc Wellbutrin cold turkey, dc Zyprexa cold turkey with disastrous results) 2009-2010 Transitioned from Zyprexa to Abilify 2010-2015 Reduced from 20 mg of Abilify to 8mg. Cold turkeyed once during this period but finally learned my lesson.  December 2015 -  8mg of Abilify.  Mid April 2016 -  7mg of Abilify. Mid September 2016 - 6.3mg of Abilify.  November 2016 - 5.7 mg of Abilify.  November 30, 2016 - 5.1mg of Abilify. January 8, 2017 - 4.6mg of Abilify

Be your giant, greatest fan! Words of wisdom, yes I can! Earth, Wind and Fire.

#5 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

In the U.S., some companies, such as Walmart, Target, and the big pharmacy Walgreen's, provide some generic drugs for very little cost to the consumer, about $4-$10 per monthly prescription.

These prices are not subsidized; rather, they reflect the companies reducing their profit margins on some generic drugs as "loss leaders" to get people into the stores.

Otherwise, as PluckyPony posted, drug costs are reduced through the means-tested government program Medicaid (amount of subsidy and name of program varies by state) or the Veteran's Administration (for military veterans and sometimes family members only).

Everyone else in the US is either 1) uninsured, paying full price for all drugs (often purchasing from Canadian online pharmacies); or 2) has drug coverage through health insurance, where the amount of discount varies from plan to plan and drug to drug and is reflected in the "co-pay" required of the consumer.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#6 dalsaan

dalsaan

• Moderators
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:03 AM

Thanks for that info PluckyPony and Alto, I appreciate it.   Any Europeans want to chip in?

Dalsaan

#7 herenow

herenow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

I'm in the U.S. I used to have private insurance but now Medicaid. Since Medicaid still thinks I have private insurance, they won't pay for my medication. Some pharmacies have programs you can join to get a discount on the medication if you're uninsured, like Walgreen's. Since I have Medicaid, I cannot join their program though. They told me they didn't know of any other discount, so I was paying cash for my medication. Then, I found this prescription discount cards sitting at a doctor office somewhere. Had never seen such a thing and didn't know if they really worked. Went to Walgreen's to pick up my medication, handed them the card, and lo and behold, I get 40% off my meds, which is a much better situation.

2014-2015, tapered off risperdal 1 mg done 11/14, Librium 2/15 from 25 mg (switched from Klonopin), and Prozac 40 mg to 20 mg and went off without tapering last 20 mg I think (no record of that) by March or April 2015. Possible rebound anxiety started in May 2015 (plus I'm anxious anyway but controlled usually).

Flexeril in August 2015 (for a couple weeks) and then 1 5 mg dose of Prozac in September 2015. Either going off flexeril or trying the Prozac or both plus my previous jump off Prozac that spring set off withdrawal symptoms, which at the time I just thought was severe anxiety due to a frightening situation that had happened plus insomnia and neuro symptoms. Also had a 1-week of steroid in July 2015 that made things a lot worse (anxiety, obsessing)

Buspar, Sept. 2015, didn't work well (severe chest pain), tapered off. Ambien, 2 nights for terrible new insomnia. Afraid of Ambien and went on Mirtazapine. Tried some ativan 2 or 3 times during this time, felt great while on, but rebound anxiety severe so stopped.

Mirtazapine 15 mg, 1 night on Oct. 9 '15, brain fog, too sedated, groggy all day; Mirtazapine 7.5 mg for about a week. Told pdoc didn't like bc side effects. He said I could jump off. Tapered down to 5.8 mg in a few days and held to talk to doc. He said stay on, seemed to help. It is helping sleeping but nothing else. Went from 5.8 mg to 5.6 mg on one day and 5.7 mg the rest. Taken from 5.7 mg to 5 mg while hospitalized in December 2015. Took a total of 3 doses of Valium during that time. Started on less than 5 mg Paxil by pdoc after hospitalization.

Started lowering mirtazapine dose from 5 to 4.6 mg on Mondays on Jan 4, 2016. Horrible. 1/18/16.

Held mirt at 5 mg and 4 mg Paxil by weight on scale until April 2016. Slowly tapering since then 0.1 mg at a time.

Current dose: Feb. 2017, 3.4 mg mirtazapine and 2.4 mg paxil