dalsaan

Need some info

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together an academic paper related to antidepressants and I have a quick question. Australia provides government subsidies for most antidepressants through the pharmaceutical benefits scheme. Are medications subsidised like this in other countries? if not, who pays for it and under what conditions? Does it depend on whether you have insurance and who with?

I could research this but I thought I would seek the help of my community first

Thanks

Dalsaan

Hi Dalsaan

This is the situation in nz ...not sure if this helps.

http://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/conditions-and-treatments/treatments-and-surgery/medications/prescription-charges

Many medicines in New Zealand are subsidised by the Government. You make a small contribution to the cost of the medicines you receive when you pay a prescription charge.

All the best with the paper.

nz11

Thanks NZ, that's the same kind of set up.

Anyone with info on Europe, the US, Canada

The US healthcare system confuses all but the wonkiest political science experts, but I will give it a go.

Question: are antidepressants subsidized?

Partial answer: Yes, but the extent depends on the state of residence, income, and if you receive insurance from Medicaid (State-run, federally funded through block grants, primarily for poor and/or disabled under 65) or Medicare (health care for those over 65). 

This link explains difference between the two programs:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Medicaid_vs_Medicare

This wiki page discusses the Medi-Cal program (funded by Medicaid), the indigent medical insurance plan for the state of California.  Every state has its own model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medi-Cal

In California, if the state labels you as mentally disabled, you can get your anti-depressants for free, depending on your income level.  If you make more than 250% above the federal poverty level as a working disabled person on Medi-Cal, you must pay a share of cost (co-pay).

Official websites on the programs listed:

Medicare.gov

Medicaid.gov

I didn't touch on private insurance, but that's an interesting monster in itself.  Private insurers have drug formularies that they base the co-pays on.  Those cost differ from company to company and plan to plan.

Good luck dalsaan!

Edited by PluckyPony

In the U.S., some companies, such as Walmart, Target, and the big pharmacy Walgreen's, provide some generic drugs for very little cost to the consumer, about $4-$10 per monthly prescription.

These prices are not subsidized; rather, they reflect the companies reducing their profit margins on some generic drugs as "loss leaders" to get people into the stores.

Otherwise, as PluckyPony posted, drug costs are reduced through the means-tested government program Medicaid (amount of subsidy and name of program varies by state) or the Veteran's Administration (for military veterans and sometimes family members only).

Everyone else in the US is either 1) uninsured, paying full price for all drugs (often purchasing from Canadian online pharmacies); or 2) has drug coverage through health insurance, where the amount of discount varies from plan to plan and drug to drug and is reflected in the "co-pay" required of the consumer.

Thanks for that info PluckyPony and Alto, I appreciate it.   Any Europeans want to chip in?

Dalsaan

I'm in the U.S. I used to have private insurance but now Medicaid. Since Medicaid still thinks I have private insurance, they won't pay for my medication. Some pharmacies have programs you can join to get a discount on the medication if you're uninsured, like Walgreen's. Since I have Medicaid, I cannot join their program though. They told me they didn't know of any other discount, so I was paying cash for my medication. Then, I found this prescription discount cards sitting at a doctor office somewhere. Had never seen such a thing and didn't know if they really worked. Went to Walgreen's to pick up my medication, handed them the card, and lo and behold, I get 40% off my meds, which is a much better situation.