SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Croy1983: Prozac (prior drug Paxil)

Croy1983

I have been taking antidepressants for 11 years. 9 years on paxil then 2 on prozac. I take a really low dose about 2.5 mg for 2 years. Because I'm hypersensitive to the side affects It actually helped me though.but I quit taking it 7.5 weeks ago and been through hell. Every side affect possible to the max. In depressed, anxiety, emotionally numb, don't feel like myself, strange thoughts, it's to the point not sure what I should do? I'm misserable.. Go back on or try to grind though and stay off..

Edited by scallywag
tags

I was on paxil for 9 years. From 2004 to 2013. Switched to prozac got off and on couple times in that year then eventually staying on prozac last 2 years. Starting at 2 mg cutting the pill every day. Got up to 4 mg for about 5 months then lowered back down to 2mg for past 6 months. Then quit the 2mg. First week was ok then it hit hard. Confusion, dizzy, felt like was passing out. Anxiety attacks, felt depersonalization, body spasms, felt really weak like I could barely hold anything. Then had a few days felt normal then back to confused and had no emotion. Then my eyes and ears were very sensitive and still are.. About 6 weeks in got super depressed almost suicidal thoughts from the stress and the toll it has taken on me. I thought it would get better but hasn't.. So at 7.5 weeks reinstated to a little under 1mg with liquid. I don't take any other medication or supplements

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Croy and welcome to SA,

It certainly sounds like you have been hit with a swag of withdrawal symptoms.  Please read the topic on reinstating (link below).  If you decide you want to reinstate, you can post that decision here and we can suggest a small dose you could try.  Please do not go back on the 2.5mg that you were last taking 7 1/2 weeks ago, because your brain will have already made some adaptations and will not need the full amount.  Some people find that a very small dose is enough to bring withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level.  The Tips for Tapering Prozac link explains how to get a small dose.

It will be helpful if you would Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years.  Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking.

Please check out the following links:

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

You can ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic and journal your progress.  Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I have another question I have never had ocd before taking the prozac. Since I came off with this brutal withdrawl I developed ocd. As I'm always thinking I might hurt someone or lose control. I can watch anything with violence as I think I could do somthing like that. I have thoughts like this overwhelming. I never experienced somthing like this. I have always been a normal person with generalized anxiety. I have gotten off before and it wasn't bad at all this time it feels like somthing happened to my brain. I'm afraid it's all permanent that I did brain damage.. Is ocd a withdrawl side affect?

I was on paxil for 9 years. From 2004 to 2013. Switched to prozac got off and on couple times in that year then eventually staying on prozac last 2 years. Starting at 2 mg cutting the pill every day. Got up to 4 mg for about 5 months then lowered back down to 2mg for past 6 months. Then quit the 2mg. First week was ok then it hit hard. Confusion, dizzy, felt like was passing out. Anxiety attacks, felt depersonalization, body spasms, felt really weak like I could barely hold anything. Then had a few days felt normal then back to confused and had no emotion. Then my eyes and ears were very sensitive and still are.. About 6 weeks in got super depressed almost suicidal thoughts from the stress and the toll it has taken on me. I thought it would get better but hasn't.. So at 7.5 weeks reinstated to a little under 1mg with liquid. I don't take any other medication or supplements

Hi Croy. I'm sorry that you're having such a struggle with withdrawal symptoms. Have you read the link on Reinstatement yet ? As Chessie indicated , a small reinstatement could possibly help to relieve these symptoms a little and then you can taper off slowly at the recommended 10 % taper method.

If you didn't suffer from OCD before prozac, it's most likely a withdrawal symptom and will hopefully lessen as you stabilize.

Other members have experienced these symptoms also.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3882-ocd-obsessive-thoughts-compulsive-behaviors/

Please let us know whether you are interested in reinstating and we can then recommend a starting dose.

It would also be helpful if you could fill in your drug history signature. It helps us see your situation easily whenever you post. Thanks in advance.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Yes still trying to figure out how to fill in drug history signature.. But yes I reinstated 4 days ago with liquid prozac. I was originally taking only 2 mg for past 2 years So i started taking only a little less than 1 mg

I'm aware now that I should have still tapered even at the 2 mg. Because it feels like I was taking 30 mg and cold turkeys. But if reinstatement doesn't work how long am I looking at before things get better.

how long should I stay at the reinstatement? Awhile? Until I stabilize? And if I eventually want to go back up to the 2 mg is that a option or do I have to start weaning slowly after I stabilize? I feel the medicine is best for me for the long term. Any advice would be great since these doctors don't know what they talking about. Both the hospital er doctor and my primary doctor want me to go back to taking my original dose 2.5 mg but I didn't I'm only taking little less than 1mg

Thanks for your response did you happen to see my other questions? I'm new to the site.thanks

I took paxil for 9 years then switched to prozac for 2 years was only taking 4mg for about 6 months then lowered to 2mg for last 8 month which worked well for me. But decided to just stop the 2mg thinking it was such a low dose shouldn't be a problem.but I was wrong major withdrawls . confusion, extreme dizzyness, muscle spasms, anxiety, severe depression, tinittus, eyes sensitive to light, dry mouth and eyes, insomnia, agitation, irritable. Also a major new symtom is having obsessive thought that scare me about hurting someone or Maybe myself which never had thoughts like this in my life, counselor says it's ocd.. My primary care doctor thinks I also had a manic episode like bipolar which I have never had in my life.. So I reinstated at a little less than 1 mg in liquid form.. I'm a little lost in what to do. Nobody believes me that all this is possible being on such a little low dose but it's real..my question is can you develop new mental disorders from withdrawl? And also what are thoughts about any supplements to take to maybe help with this process. And what's typical time frame for my body to get back to homeostasis..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Croy,

I've merged you new topic into your Intro/Update topic.  Each member has 1 Intro topic where they can ask questions and journal their progress.  That way all of your history is in one place.

Could you please add the date that you reinstated the 1mg?  In a few weeks' time what you have said "at 7.5 weeks" is not going to make sense and will mean that we will have to read back through your posts to get the information.  It would be helpful if you could revise your signature so it is easier to get the information we need.  Include the original reason for going on the drug.  Taking out the symptoms will make it more helpful and easier to read.  You can always copy and paste your current signature and post it in your topic.  The most useful type of signature has details for the last 12-18 months of all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  And a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking.  Thank you.

These might help:

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

You don't develop new mental disorders from withdrawal, but they are withdrawal symptoms.  Doctors don't seem to understand how strong these drugs are.

My personal experience:  Just today I tried to reduce my dose by 2.5mg (from 45mg to 42.5mg).  When I started getting my usual withdrawal symptom of ear pressure and pain I checked my tapering time line and realised that I was trying to drop from 50mg to 42.5mg in just over a month.  I had been okay on 45mg for 10 days but that extra 2.5mg made a big difference today, so I went and took the rest of my old dose.

It will take about 4 days for the drug to get to steady state in your blood and then a few more days for it to register in the brain.  You may feel some improvement within hours or within the first day or two.  You will most likely do best by holding on your current dose for at least 2 months, possibly 3 before commencing a 10% taper.  Keep daily notes of symptoms which improve, worsen, stay the same.

Please read Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization.  Healing isn't linear and some symptoms may hang around and then go then a new one appear for a while and then the old one may return.  Please do not updose at the first sign of a symptom.  If the symptom is bad and it is persistent, ask yourself can you live with it.  If you can't, only updose a very small amount.  It is good to learn and practise Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.  These might also be helpful Acceptance and Acceptance and MindfulnessYoga for calming (very simple poses can help greatly)

Unfortunately we don't know what the time frame will be because everyone is different.  Some people can come off the drugs quickly while others have to do very slow and careful tapers with long holds.

The only supplements that SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  Try each one separately and start with a low dose.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 3 weeks later...

It has been almost 4 weeks since I reinstated the 1mg of prozac. I still feel the weird spacey, kind of dizzy feeling. Its hard to explain almost like a zombie or somewhat confused. But I know where I am, I'm aware of this feeling. I memory is still there but I feel foggy or somthing but it's 24-7 every day for past 2.5 months. My vision is a little blurry and dizzy. It scares me like I have permanent brain damage and I can't figure it out. I wake up the worst just completely out of it and dizzy, I don't know if I'm having psychosis or somthing or what. I don't have hallucinations or delusions but it's a very weird scary feeling. I go to bed every night wondering if I'm even going to wake up. My anxiety and depression is bad too. My doctor, counselor day it's anxiety and depression causing this and to go back on the prozac that I was taking before. If 2.5 mg worked for you why did you go off. You need to stay on it. Your anxiety and depression are too much. These ssris work well for you so stay on them..that's what they all say.. What should I do? My symptoms are really bad from getting off but I'm afraid when I get back on I typicly get worse before it gets better it always has. I don't know what to do? Any help or input please??

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Croy,

Have you been keeping a daily diary?

It will be helpful for us to know:

1. What symptoms have improved?
  2. What symptoms have worsened?
  3. What symptoms have stayed the same?
  4. Are you experiencing any periods of time where you feel a bit better?

Hi thank you for replying.. I have been back on a little less than 1mg liquid prozac for about a month.. The anxiety and depression may have lessend a tiny hard to tell and couple of the other symptoms have improved but I'm still feeling dizzy, blurred vision, this weird out of it feeling that's hard to describe like a zombie like I have brain damage its very scary that hasn't gone away since this whole withdrawl. I feel it's a sensitivity to the medication when I get on or off it..But now that I'm back taking a little bit I got symptoms like sweating, weightloss, no appetite. So I wonder if since I was only taking 2 mg when I got off if a little less than 1 mg was too much to reinstate? I'm still a mess either way but I just need to get somewhere and stabilize for awhile I think... I think I waited to long for reinstatement my system already took a major blow after 7.5 weeks off. But I had to try the depression and anxiety were too bad to cope.. Just boggles my mind being on only 2mg of prozac could be this bad of withdrawl. I was completely fine before this. But either way I have to deal with this best I can. My biggest fear is say in a year my anxiety and depression are still too much and I want to be on medication is that a option or am I done with meds forever?

This has got to be the worst thing anyone can experience. I have been extremely depressed and just wore out from fighting this. All the physical symptoms and the depression and anxiety Extremely irritable. I feel like a completely different person almost like a zombie.. I'm scared I won't be able to take this I need help

• Moderator Emeritus

Croy, Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:
Take notes of doses and symptoms

When you have a moment would you edit your signature so that what's happened with your Prozac dose in the last 12-18 months is clear?

Your Current signature:

A possible revision: Here are the medications, doses and timelines that I was able to "tease" out of your posts and current signature. The section about your symptoms could be omitted if you'd rather keep your signature to just medications, doses and timelines.

Paxil 2004 to 2013.
Prozac
2013 Switched to Prozac, got off and on couple times in that year
2014-2015: 2.5 mg
late 2015 - 2016: ↓ to 2.0 mg, Sept 2015 - Feb 2016: ↑ to 4 mg for 5 months; Feb-Aug: ↓ to 2 mg for 6 months,
mid-August 2016: cold-turkey from 2.0 mg to 0 mg

Symptoms after cold-turkey:  First week was ok then it hit hard. Confusion, dizzy, felt like was passing out. Anxiety attacks, felt depersonalization, body spasms, felt really weak like I could barely hold anything. Then had a few days felt normal then back to confused and had no emotion. Then my eyes and ears were very sensitive and still are.. About 6 weeks in got super depressed almost suicidal thoughts from the stress and the toll it has taken on me. I thought it would get better but didn't.

Oct. 7, 2016: reinstated 1 mg with liquid

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with how to update my signature. But I been staying on the .8 mg of prozac for about 8 weeks now. I'm very sensitive to these meds. I realize going from 2mg to 0 was way too much for me and shocked my system. I think I waited too long to reinstate. But now I'm in 8 weeks at .8mg and my neurological issues are getting a little worse especially a neuropathy feeling in my hands. And nothing else has gotten better. Except The depression maybe just a little. I'm not sure what to do from here. I realize I'm probably in for a long recovery now that I shocked my system it's very scary. I have had generalized anxiety and health anxiety as my original reason going on 12 years ago which makes all this worse.. I hope I recover can someone please help me with what they think I should do from here?

• Moderator Emeritus

To update your signature,

• Open your "User control panel" by clicking on the arrow (downward-pointing triangle) next to your username in the top right corner of any page on this site.
  • Select "My settings" from the menu that appears
  • Select "Signature" from the options menu on the left side of the page.

At this point the options with medication are

1. hold at current dose and wait for symptoms to resolve
  2. increase a small amount
  3. decrease a small amount

Understanding your symptom pattern can make a big difference in picking a good next step. Would you post a few days worth of notes about your symptoms here in your intro thread? 

If you haven't been keeping notes, please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I havnt been keeping notes but the only difference I can tell is since I reinstated was the last couple weeks depression anxiety got a little worse, very fatigue and tired, weak jello feeling legs, and some burning tingling pain in my feet and hands.

• Moderator Emeritus

Great! Please post a few days worth of notes. Maybe some other eyes and minds on the data will see something.

scallywag's Introduction

Does anyone know what this feeling is that I have had for almost 4 months since withdrawl. Its hard to describe But I almost feel like I'm high on marijuana somthing in my vision has changed, I can't tell if im dizzy or blurry. My eyes get really red and I feel completely spaced out. Almost like I had a stroke. Somtimes it feels like I could pass out. It definitely is somthing I have never experienced before and extremely hard to look past it.. I have extreme anxiety, hypervigilent and recently ocd that I have never had either to this extent.. Its freaking me out that I have some kind of permanent damage

Also to add to previous post when I wake up it feels like I'm waking up from a coma.. Also things I have never had in my life that I have had since this withdrawl are extreme depression, extreme anxiety ocd intrusive thoughts, anger, irritable, jumpy, easily startled, hypervigilent, weakness, extreme fatigue, eyes sensitive to light, ears sensitive to loud noise, eyes feel dry and wake up with alot of crust around my eyes, headaches.. Just one of these alone is annoying let alone all at once

Croy1983 -

Since I came off with this brutal withdrawl I developed ocd. As I'm always thinking I might hurt someone or lose control. I can watch anything with violence as I think I could do somthing like that. I have thoughts like this overwhelming.

I can so relate to the above statement.  When I was four months into withdrawal I had the same experience.  I saw something violent on the news and I started thinking that I could easily act it out.  I started thinking where are these thoughts coming from.  They scared me.  I never told anyone about the thoughts.  They have since gone away.  The thoughts are from withdrawal.  I hope you are not continuing to have those thoughts.  Just remind yourself these are not real thoughts and it is from withdrawal. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link about Vision problems: floaters, snow, blurred or dimmed vision.

You may find it helpful to search the site for a particular symptom using google. Just include site:survivingantidepressants.org as a search term with the symptom of concern  to put discussions on this site at the top of the list of results.

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you for the reply scallywag, all of these side affects are so scary I have to constantly tell myself none of this is permanent to keep my sanity. I have a extreme hypersensitivity to these meds. I shocked my system to the maximum going cold turkey from 2 mg to 0 almost 4 months ago and which scares me more since I reinstated. I'm at .8 of a milligram been at this dose for 2 months. The dizzy confused out of it vision problems got worse when reinstated and fatigue.. But my depression and anxiety lessened a little.. But I would like to go down a notch I know it says 10% but at this small of a amount I'm thinking go down to .6 mg.. What do you think.. Thanks for your help

Croy1983 -

Since I came off with this brutal withdrawl I developed ocd. As I'm always thinking I might hurt someone or lose control. I can watch anything with violence as I think I could do somthing like that. I have thoughts like this overwhelming.

I can so relate to the above statement. When I was four months into withdrawal I had the same experience. I saw something violent on the news and I started thinking that I could easily act it out. I started thinking where are these thoughts coming from. They scared me. I never told anyone about the thoughts. They have since gone away. The thoughts are from withdrawal. I hope you are not continuing to have those thoughts. Just remind yourself these are not real thoughts and it is from withdrawal.

Thanks for the reply o2bhappy glad I'm not the only one. Mine started when I went from 2 mg to 1 mg I started getting these thoughts wasn't sure where they came from . I went back to 2 mg and they went away. But few months later I cold turkey from 2mg to 0 mg. And has rocked my world on top of these thoughts severe now I have had 20 extreme disabling side affects.. I toughed it out thinking they would subside but didn't just got worse. So after 8 weeks I reinstated to .8 mg some things for worse some better .. But still have the thoughts. But my cognition isn't clear I'm in a intense spaced out fog feeling. So I have alot of other symptoms on my mind but these thought are still there. What a racket scary thing. Most days I feel like I'm going to die or have some permanent brain and nervous system damage. Very scary....I hope things are going well for you. Wouldn't wish this on anyone

• Moderator Emeritus

Please say more about your thinking about decreasing from 0.8 mg Paxil to 0.6 mg.

scallywag's Introduction

Well after my shock from cold turkey withdrawl from 2 mg to 0. I reinstated to .8mg after 7.5 weeks.. Some things improved maybe a little bit some worse. Its been 2 months.. The symptoms that got worse are my eyes are red and somthing is wrong with my vision, I look and feel high. I feel really spaced out and dizzy.. The only symptoms that have improved maybe a tiny is depression and anxiety from a 10 to a 9.. Some days I feel that like I have extreme adrenalin rush and can't sit still and my eyes are on hyper scan mode I can feel my nerves in my whole body on hyper mode.. Never have had any of this in my life since withdrawl.. I don't know if I should stay where I'm at or try to lower a notch.. My goal is to be off and get these poisons out of me. I'm scared because of my extreme sensitivity in going to get nervous or somthing permanent with all these horror stories

• Moderator Emeritus

If you think lowering dose will be helpful, please consider a smaller decrease than 0.2 mg. It would be safer to try 0.1 or less.

scallywag's Introduction

Do you think I should just stay where I'm at for awhile instead of lowering? It's too risky not being in a stable position?

My life is over these drugs ruined me. I don't ever see getting better. What kind of life is it to suffer everyday.. Who can endure somthing like this. I went through cancer and brutal chemotherapy and I thought that was bad. This is just another world. What sucks is I had a great life, very big awesome family. I had the whole world in front of me and prozac took it from me. I don't want to suffer or die I want to live my life I just don't see this getting better

• Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the variability of your symptoms.

• If you experience dramatic swings throughout the day or from day to day, it's probably best to hold.
  • If symptoms are present and it's just the same old level of pain-in-the-butt annoyance from day to day, then decreasing is likely to be better tolerated. Try small decreases, e.g. 5% - 10%.

scallywag's Introduction

Croy1983 -

I understand where you are coming from.  Getting off these medicines and being in withdrawal isn't easy, but you can do it.  Just take one day at a time or sometimes just take one hour at a time.  I am now 15 months off Prozac and I have seen improvements.  Some of the improvements are very small but they are still improvements.  Just remind yourself it will get better. 

Hang in there.

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

Can someone help with what they think this feeling I been having since start of withdrawl. Not sure if it's depersonalization or brain fog? I feel really spaced out 24/7, my memory is shot, I feel weird and different.when I wake in mornings it feels like I'm coming out of a coma. Things don't look 2d or I don't look at my hands and think there not mine but my vision seems different to almost like dizzy or blurry or I could pass out.. My eyes are dry and sensitive and wake with crusty eye. Its hard to describe this feeling.. Anyone have any idea what it is

• Moderator Emeritus

Croy, those sound like withdrawal symptoms. You can read similar descriptions in the posts in these discussion topics:

Derealization and Depersonalization.

Brain fog: blank mind; comprehension, thinking and memory issues.

scallywag's Introduction

Ok thanks. I lowered my dose last night from .18mg to .175 and I feel like I'm going to pass out even more.

I had some blood work done from Dr. And my testosterone came back low at 263 normal is 300 -1000. A couple years ago it was 280. I'm 33 year old male. I should be around 500-600 is what my naturpath and few people have told me.. And my cholesterol was a little high..if see some of my previous post I'm going through a great deal of severe anxiety and depression and what I think depersonalizatio since my prozac withdrawl. What are some thoughts about trying testosterone therapy from my Dr.?