SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Eleven10: 30 months off Prozac

Eleven10

Hi JC

Definitely I would like that pact. I so miss that exhausted but happy feeling when you finish a race, best feeling in the world.

I see a physiotherapist but I'm not making much progress, and it makes me feel very dizzy after the session. Maybe osteo would be better,my physio says my muscles are locked solid in my neck and back.

Thanks scallywag. I religiously kept a symptom diary for 18 months, I gave up. I'm not a defeatist I just honestly didn't see a pattern. The first 8 months were excruciating and if I hadn't improved slightly at the end I genuinely wouldn't be here now, but after that it's just stayed the same. I can honestly say I'm no different than 2 years ago and I just don't get it. :(

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Restarted 2mg of prozac 26.8.18..

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not the maths expert, but if you had tapered by 10% monthly, with the occasional longer hold, you'd probably just be getting to the end of it by now anyway.  You might find it interesting to work out if your maths is better than mine.  It just takes the body as long as it takes to heal and regroup. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks karenb Although in heinsight I would love to go back and do a very slow taper, it's not a guarantee to success, unfortunately it seems as many others are I am super sensitive to withdrawal. Neither can I accept that it will take as long as it takes, I'm at my limit of suffering and I really feel my body is begging for help. I feel years of withdrawal is doing my body serious long lasting harm and I need to to take action. I just need to muster the strength to do that. Iv promised my family Mummy is getting better soon and I idint intend to break that promise. Time for action.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

It's true there is no guarantee, I was more trying to offer a comparison which might explain why you still feel so bad after so long.  Meaning, our brains are slow to heal. 

I understand that feeling of a body getting seriously drained by w/d, especially for us mums.  To counter that (somewhat) I eat a really good diet, some vitamins and minerals, and make sure I get regular good rest.  What sort of help is your body wanting? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

yes I understand thank you. I think it was the shock of withdrawal that has left me in this state.

I'm glad you manage to get rest, unfortunately that is just not possible for me as my brain has lost the ability to sleep. I average 3 hrs.

There is nothing I haven't tried to sleep naturally. I have spent slot of time and money trying every natural method. I'm not sure what it's asking for but it's desperate for rest and peace, the only way I see to help it is medication again which I never thought I would say but my life is at risk so I have to be brave and try some things. I'm not a drama queen In fact the opposite but things have got too much for me.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Hi JC

Definitely I would like that pact. I so miss that exhausted but happy feeling when you finish a race, best feeling in the world.

I see a physiotherapist but I'm not making much progress, and it makes me feel very dizzy after the session. Maybe osteo would be better,my physio says my muscles are locked solid in my neck and back.

Thanks scallywag. I religiously kept a symptom diary for 18 months, I gave up. I'm not a defeatist I just honestly didn't see a pattern. The first 8 months were excruciating and if I hadn't improved slightly at the end I genuinely wouldn't be here now, but after that it's just stayed the same. I can honestly say I'm no different than 2 years ago and I just don't get it. :(

When we were living in Canada, I had months and months of osteo treatment for all kinds of issues relating to WD.

They were excellent at getting to the root cause of the pain, and any pains I had just disappeared either the same day or after a couple of days.  This would include headaches/migraine.

I also took my time to explain to them about AD WD, and the effect the drugs had on the CNS, and how my body had become one big stress ball.

In early WD (this time last year), I was in excruciating pain, suffering from sciatica, lower back pain so bad I was on powerful pain killers.  My whole body had gone into shock and my muscles and joints were spasming something chronic.

Despite having run 3 marathons back to back, I had NEVER suffered from any of these issues before.

The only reason I am not having regular osteo treatment at the moment, is because we don't have the money coming in and I don't have the medical insurance I had from my previous job.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I started dosulapin 25mg and it seems ok for the last 4 days, haven't got up for the toilet 7 times a night like usual and feel slightly less edgy. All the other horrific symptoms continue but I'm hopeful. I'm going to go up to 50mg in a week and stick there. I have everything crossable crossed.

I have also had an osteo asesemnt. He said my muscles in my upper back and around my spine were locked solid. Hopefully will be able to looses them slightly. He said he had seen it in a severe drug reaction before and is a sign of the nervous system being in shock. Not that I needed to be told what I already knew.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

At least the osteo was able to diagnose the cause of the locked muscles (WD) Eleven10. That's impressive, as it's so specific (in our case) and should stand you in good stead to reduce your pain.

I'm glad you went to see the osteo, and hope it helps you.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

He didn't think it was a antidepressant that caused the reaction but a drug used in cancer treatment and the lady's pain eased in a few months not years but I suppose it's similar

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

He didn't think it was a antidepressant that caused the reaction but a drug used in cancer treatment and the lady's pain eased in a few months not years but I suppose it's similar

I see, so over the next few months I am certain you will notice your pain reduce.

Major Life Events: 

Eleven.  The ability to sleep can come back even after a long period of time. It sounds trite , but with time the sleep cycle can normalize. If you feel you have to take drugs to stay functional then , so be it.  It can be done without , but it can take time and not everybody has the time to spare.

I hope it goes well for you and the drugs have the desired effect. Eventually , I would hope you that you might be able to hop off them and sleep naturally in the future.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Ali.

With genuine respect for differing opinions and experiences and I disagree. For many maybe but I know my body and my experiences and my sleep has not improved or shown any signs of improvement in 2.5 years. There is nothing I have not tried and much time I have invested. I have an extremely low quality of life and the insomnia has took me to the edge of suicide. It has destroyed my health caused serious infections requiring hospital treatment and reduced immunity, put me at risk of heart problems which run in our family and many other things.

I don't expect anyone to endorse meds especially on this site and I respect that but if it means I can spend one more hour a day with my kids for me it was a golden unavoidable decision. May not work may mean in playing with fire but I have taken a step forward in my opinion not back.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

I respect your decision to do what you have to do and i wasn't disputing that in any way . I was just hoping that eventually you would possibly be able to sleep drug - free.

I totally understand if that's not possible and I certainly didn't mean to offend.

I have gone down a hard road myself in this respect and battled with insomnia nightly for a very long period of time . I have a family history of " sleep drugs "  so I have a vested interest in helping others find a more natural route but totally understand that everyone has their own history and unique circumstances. At the end of the day we have to do what works individually for each of us. 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I totally respect that and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone suffering ongoing insomnia to take drugs, I do think that it can be overcome naturally in most cases but I felt at the limit of suffering. I truly hope it helps and that I can slowly reduce in the future taking any psychotropics does not sit well with me.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Just checking in to say hi!

How are you feeling?

Major Life Events: 

Hi JC

I'm still struggling but intend to persevere with the dosulapin. I don't think my body can make its mind up if it wants to accept it or not, I'm hoping it does but will try not to berate it if it doesn't.

It's devastating to think how close iv got to ending my life in the last 3 years and iv struggled to understand why my body has had such a difficult time in showing any definitive kind of recovery. There seems to be the method of thinking that if we just suffer long enough we will be rewarded and I went along with that thinking for a very long time. It broke me to have nights of "brain cooking" activation and torture that I am unable to describe properly and days of such soul destroying depression such a long time after withdrawal. I totally get that this can be a long long journey and many get that reward at this end but for some maybe because of some genetic vulnerabilities will never get that reward and I think maybe I'm one.

I try desperately to try and remember how I was before I touched a med and I was undoubtedly depressed and ill in some way I don't understand but there was no brain cooking and the depression was not a patch on this beast. Prozac made me feel very well for a long long time but it's also damaaged my brain in the most terrible way.

I'm praying Dr Healy is onto something with the tricyclic but who knows.

Ps thanks for asking how I am x

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• 1 month later...

Update.

I had to come off the dosulapin, my bp dropped so low I was unable to stand up. I'm devastated as I felt I was getting a little of an anti anxiety effect.

I'm now back at square one, 3 years off and the suicidal depression, insomnia and all it's friends are back with a vengeance.

I feel there is no end to this nightmare

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Hey Eleven10, I am also three years off meds it's been the hardest time in my whole life. I try not to get too disappointed that it still is hard at times. Knowing that I have I have surpassed all these years makes me feel strong that I can handle the upcoming years whatever it is. Sometimes I feel disheartened on how tough it's been but I just move forward and focus on my breath. I have a faith you will be okay since you have gotten this far. Practice self soothing techniques such as, EFT tapping, mindfulness, take walks, meditating, using adult coloring books, reading a book, watching a funny show, putting a face mask, lighting a candle, surfing the web. Focus one step at a time, ps22

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

I'm glad you are coping and in a relatively good place.

I can't read a book I'm too ill and the Prozac damaged my vision.

I'm currently sleeping just 2.7 hrs a night and I'm in a dark dark place.

I had to postpone my cbt classes as was just too unwell to travel and attend. I do go to acupuncture at the chronic pain clinic but I have not seen benefit.

I'm really struggling to stick around at the moment

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

11-10 so sorry you are in this bad place.

I wouldn't worry about missing the cbt classes I dont think cbt can do a lot for acute wdl imo . Have you checked out the Claire weeks thread.

It sounds to me like you thought things couldnt possibly get any worse prior to dosulapin but now they have.

Its very unfortunate that you have done yet another CT 

I was just reading the common adverse effects of dosulapin and hypotension (low bp) was one of them.

Wishing you strength.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thank you nz11

I ordered a couple of her books a while ago I will check them out when I can

The dosulapin has not made me worse I'm in the same place as I was prior to to taking it if I feel any worse it's because I feel so disappointed as I feel I was getting a slight benefit whilst I took it.

I only took it for a a few weeks but felt the burning doom feeling lessen just a smidge.. if I thought my bp would stabilise I would stay at 50mg but it was low to start with. I didn't ct either.

Thank you for your kind words, I will try some thing else I'm not leaving my child without a fight.

Prozac had a devasting effect on my depression in the long run. I never saw true light until I found it but would gladly go back to living in the dusk compared to this darkness.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• Administrator

Update.

I had to come off the dosulapin, my bp dropped so low I was unable to stand up. I'm devastated as I felt I was getting a little of an anti anxiety effect.

I'm now back at square one, 3 years off and the suicidal depression, insomnia and all it's friends are back with a vengeance.

I feel there is no end to this nightmare

Hello, Eleven. What were the beneficial effects of dosulapin for you? Did it help your sleep?

When you got low blood pressure from it, did you try taking a smaller dosage?

Was it Dr. Healy who recommended it?

Have you followed our suggestions for sleep hygiene in Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems ? Keep bedroom cool and dark, block out morning light, etc.? Get off the computer in the evening? Are you light-sensitive? 

What is your sleep pattern? Do you fall asleep at the same time each night?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto, thank you.

After about a week at 25mg I felt a slight lift in anxiety, and a some improvement in sleep. Around 18 months ago I tried a tiny bit of mirtazapine around 3.75mg. I was awake all night with rushes of adrenaline and I cried with deep depression all the next day. I was very afraid to try to the dosulapin but it didn't have the same effect, it was less activating.

Insomnia is one of the worse symptoms, I go to bed so tired around 10.40, I feel my thoughts start to swim as if I'm going to sleep but then something changes and I become extremely alert, I become hypersensitive to noise and despite the exhaustion I have to get up, I get a drink and maybe some paracetamol or ibruphhonen and around 12.30 I drop off but wake after just 2 Hrs, go back to sleep till 4 then I'm wide awake. I'm then filled with looping anxieties, I sometimes drop back off at 8 till 9.30 and that is my night almost every night. Sometimes worse occasionally better but if anything more sleep means deeper depression and more physical pain the following day. The only thing that has lessened is the huge cortisol rushes am of early withdrawal. I still get a dampened version.

Anxiety effected my sleep before meds. But in a different way and I was always able to catch up on sleep unlike now.

Dr Healy suggested clonidine to me but I struggled to get a gp to prescribe as my bp is low.

Dosulapin was his his second suggestion.

Light sensitivity is a huge problem to me as well as noise and tinnitus. I have not had proper vision since the ct.

I have black out curtains and I wear ear plugs and a face mask.

The last psychiatrist diagnosed ptsd from the withdrawal and suggested gabapentin but I really don't want to mess around with that.

tje biggest fear I have of medication is activation and anxiety.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Tinnitus has been a constant for the whole of withdrawal, constant high pitched whistle that get louder if I laugh cry or afte sny stimulation including short conversations.

I took half a zoplicone last night in total fear after 4 nights of no sleep, my sister took me to the shop for basics and whilst walking round I totally forgot where I was, what I was doing or how I had got to the shop.

Anyway the zoplicone half a 3.75 significantly subdued the tinnitus, still only slept fretfully and woke after 3 hrs but to not wake up to a million crickets in my ears was nice.

After 3 years I'm flattened by my progress it's hard to know the next step.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

I was also told by dr Healy that once ssri withdrawal set in there was nothing anyone could do and no relatable treatment and it was unlikely to go away.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Hi Eleven10

Did he say unlikely to go away as in permanent? There are stories on here from people who have healed, but at the moment I don't feel like I ever will. I'm nearly 17 months off Prozac, and feel like I'm slowly losing myself bit by bit, like every wave takes a bit more of my mind with it. 

Hope you're doing better and have managed to get some sleep. 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

Hi there.

It was a email he sent saying that once ssri withdrawal became entrenched there was no treatment and was unlikely to go away by itself. I was upset and cried a lot but really crying doesn't solve anything. I refuse to just accept this is my life now. I would rather not be here than live at this level of functioning.

I'm sorry you suffer, Prozac withdrawal is horrific.

If I could calm my tinnitus and sleep a little better I know I could get one foot on the escalator.

Much love

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

I'd love to prove him wrong! If the brain is as neuroplastic as they think it is, we must be able to heal eventually. It just takes so long. I'm about to buy some fish oil and magnesium and give that a go. Been epsom salt bathing for England but I don't think that's cutting it. 

I know how you feel about the lack of sleep, it wears me down. Things will get better for all of us, got to hang on to that. 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

I was also told by dr Healy that once ssri withdrawal set in there was nothing anyone could do and no relatable treatment and it was unlikely to go away.

It was a email he sent saying that once ssri withdrawal became entrenched there was no treatment and was unlikely to go away by itself.

To be honest i was a bit surprised to read this.

No disrespect to Prof Healy for i have a lot of admiration for him but unless he has changed his view in the last couple of years this appears to contradict a previous statement that it clears up with time.

Actually in acute wdl i highlighted this statement and held onto it desperately.

"If the explanation offered above is even partly correct, it implies that with time the condition should resolve but this resolution may take months or years." Healy.

So would he be saying then that his explanation is not even 'partly correct'.

I do agree that once you trigger full blown ssri wdl all bets are off the table on how to find relief but for me at least it has receded with time and we are talking years.

Are you sure you aren't misreading the email?

nz11

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

If I could calm my tinnitus and sleep a little better I know I could get one foot on the escalator.

Much love

You nailed it.  This is exactly how I feel.

2010 - had my first full blown panic attack started on alprazolam 0.5 mg
2011 - was told by doc to try AD along with benzo to control panic attack and anxiety lexapro 20 mg alprazolam 2.0 mg
2012 - was told by doc to switch out medication paxil 40 mg clonazepam 2.0 mg
Mar 2016 - made the jump to cymbalta 60 mg clonazepam 2.0 mg
July 2016 - got sick and tired of taking meds finally decided to cold turkey meds

- BE HERE NOW -

My Intro

Yep the tinnitus and vertigo is the pits.

Healy does say can be permanent in older people and I'm not 20 anymore!

It's difficult when you had depression to start with and it all merges into one..ssris make a condition chronic which we all know but they doesn't deminish the pain of severe depression. But then again Healy does say if ssris worked for you in the first place you probably didn't have severe depression but that is not always the case.

I'm discussing ect with my dr this afternoon. 3 years is long enough to wait for a improvement

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

So do you think you have misread the emails then.

Personally i doubt very much Healy said that stuff.

Any update on your doctors opinion of ECT ?

Recovering paxil addict

You doubt Healy said what stuff?

He's going to speak to another Dr but he said it's definitely an option as I'm so opposed to drugs.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

I have to try one more med then I can try ECT.

I don't think I will actually take the med.

Something has to change this year for me. I'm having such terrible problems with my ears and neck I barley leave the house but feel too agitated to sit in the house. Torture

I'm struggling mentally with the fact I did this to myself. Albeit unknowingly and with ignorance.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

These are still early days in healing i was like that in yr 3 too.

Im pretty sure no one here is going to rec a different med or ect for that matter

The Healy stuff i was referring to post 65

Recovering paxil addict

I'm pretty sure I didn't ask anyone to recommend anything nvz11 and simply repeating what the dr said to me.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014