SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Eleven10: 30 months off Prozac

Eleven10

I tapered of Prozac in early 2014. I tapered over 4 weeks by taking every other day so basically ct. I had taken   Prozac   for 17 years for anxiety and depression. It took almost 4 months to get very bad by which time Drs had prescribed me  sertraline  and citralopram both of which exacerbated things tremendously. I only took a single dose of each.  

It never occurred to me or Drs to put me back of Prozac and by this time I was too terrified to take anything.

The last 3 years have been horrific, losing my husband, my health and my income. I was unable to work for 2 years and now work part time from home which I still struggle with. I'm diagnosed with cfs fibro and severe depression all caused by protracted withdrawal.

Iv seen dr Healy a few times and a neuropsychiatrist who both back my cause.

I haven't taken a drug in 28 months but am about to start imipramine on their advise. I hope to get some relief from the crippling depression and pain and then hopefully taper off. I know this is a risk but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I have terrible tinnutus caused from the destabilising effect of ct Prozac. I also have vertigo and chronic insomnia, especially early morning waking and sleep maintence. I use magnesium glycinate and lactium but Iv not noticed a noticeable difference.

I have learned to not panic too much during extreme anxiety, instead of it breaking me completely like in the old days, I open the door and invite the beast in. This also helps with odd flare up of akathesia that was relentless in the beginning.

I'm completely amazed at the lack of knowledge from Drs about the dangers of drugs but I have also found at leat 3 who are well very knowledgable. It gives me hope at least that we are not completely alone.

Edited by scallywag
tags

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Restarted 2mg of prozac 26.8.18..

• Moderator Emeritus

Eleven -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You've suffered a great deal from that Prozac discontinuation. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

It sounds as if you have done much work educating and informing yourself. That's not an easy thing to do while going through withdrawal and several major life changes. I'll post a few links here for your reference, although you may have already read them.
What is withdrawal syndrome

If you haven't read up on imipramine, these pages may be informative:
Surviving Antidepressant's Tips for tapering off imipramine
Drugs.com info pages on Imipramine

What have the doctors told you about why they are advising imipramine rather than Prozac?

I hope you'll consider a slow upward titration of imipramine dose to find the lowest effective dose for you. You don't have to take the full prescribed amount. Imipramine is fully soluble in water so you could fine tune dosing by making a liquid:
Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you scallywag that is really helpful and supportive advise.

It was suggested either dothiapin or imipramine are weaker serotonin reuptakers and preferable to the overpowered ssris. I also had such a terrible reaction to citralopram that I never want to take a ssri again. The agitation they cause terrifies me. I only chose imiprime as it comes in liquid. I really hope I can get a little relief

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

I tapered of Prozac in early 2014. I tapered over 4 weeks by taking every other day so basically ct. I had taken Prozac for 17 years for anxiety and depression. It took almost 4 months to get very bad by which time Drs had prescribed me sertraline and citralopram both of which exacerbated things tremendously. I only took a single dose of each.

It never occurred to me or Drs to put me back of Prozac and by this time I was too terrified to take anything.

The last 3 years have been horrific, losing my husband, my health and my income. I was unable to work for 2 years and now work part time from home which I still struggle with. I'm diagnosed with cfs fibro and severe depression all caused by protracted withdrawal.

Iv seen dr Healy a few times and a neuropsychiatrist who both back my cause.

I haven't taken a drug in 28 months but am about to start imipramine on their advise. I hope to get some relief from the crippling depression and pain and then hopefully taper off. I know this is a risk but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I have terrible tinnutus caused from the destabilising effect of ct Prozac. I also have vertigo and chronic insomnia, especially early morning waking and sleep maintence. I use magnesium glycinate and lactium but Iv not noticed a noticeable difference.

I have learned to not panic too much during extreme anxiety, instead of it breaking me completely like in the old days, I open the door and invite the beast in. This also helps with odd flare up of akathesia that was relentless in the beginning.

I'm completely amazed at the lack of knowledge from Drs about the dangers of drugs but I have also found at leat 3 who are well very knowledgable. It gives me hope at least that we are not completely alone.

Why don't you stick it out until you have hit the 3 year mark before starting another antidepressant? There are a lot of people who get better after 3 years.

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less

Hi. Can you point me in the direction of any 3 year recoverys please

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Hi. Can you point me in the direction of any 3 year recoverys please

Hi, there are tons of them all over this site. Check the "recovery stories" section and check the "introductions and updates" section. Also start messaging people that have posted. I'd find specific examples for you, but I'm too sleep deprived to do anything right now, unfortunately.

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less

Eleven10

Please consider nomoreads advise.

Do you think you can stay the course drug free.

At 3 years like you i was still in bad shape. I'm now in my 7th yr and just strong enough to return to work. It was a long wait but i am so glad i stuck it out drug free. Despite an incompetent taper.

Imiprimine is an older tricyclic ad but heres the thing you will  still need to taper it and it can also cause severe withdrawals.

I found every time  i tried to get off the wdl got worse than during the previous excape attempt.

There is the chance that taking another psychotropic drug could make things worse.

Its your call and only you know what suffering you can absorb but i saw good improvements in yr4 and more in yrs 5 and 6.

I read you have talked to Healy and i have a lot of admiration for him.

Healy says healing can take 2-4 yrs once drug free.

Breggin; years

You might like to read my  intro thread post #100 and #112

Hang in there

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Nz11, that's wonderful advice. <3

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

Hi. NZ11. I get what you are saying and appreciate the comments. It's not a decision I take lightly. The physical symptoms are horrific enough but physical pain I can just about stand but when the depression comes I genuinely fear for my life and I'm not prepared to put myself in that situation for much longer. I'm a mommy and that is paramount.

I know Healy says 1-4 years but he himself admits he doesn't really know and that nobody really has a answer. He also says if desperation is too much tri is preferable.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

ok i'm hearing you.

So are you saying things are getting worse? at 30 months.

or are they the same?

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I also have a horrible feeling that everything is moving too fast. Living without peace is difficult.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

It feels the same as it has got 20 months. The physical stuff I can cope with, the constant horrific pain and cfs I can live with, I would wait years to improve. It's the barrage of mental torture that chips away at me. Nights of dreamy sleep mean days of horrific depression that leaves me breathless and terrified. Constant anxiety that feels non human like my brain is on fire.

The positive things I do are. Walk everyday for10 to 20 mins even when very ill

Wright a positive only journal no depressive thoughts allowed

Speak to friends on the phone even though this leaves me very ill and exhausted or occasionally in person. Act like I'm ok because it actually helps to feel normal.

Good diet.

If I believed in god id pray but I don't. ,

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Eleven10, I am right now 30 months off Celexa after being on it almost 7 years. Took a very high dose with other serotonin drugs.  I am doing better but still messed up.  

I have lots of depression from dealing with this and anxiety from all the struggle similar to what you are experiencing. 

Keep the faith, Hold Fast, you and I have gone through too much already to go back on medications.  I'm not going back.

Taking another 'anti-depressant' to mess again with our neurotransmitters isn't going to fix anything.  That is my 2 cents, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Mid 2006-Early 2013  Celexa 40 MG, Xanax .50, Trazadone 50 MG - No problems with side effects

Very fast-few weeks taper in Early 2013 off all medication.

Crashed summer 2013 Went back on all meds same dosage (different brand of Celexa) Sept 2013. 

Sexual Side Effects (which I never had before) begun December 2013.  Off Celexa February 2014.  Xanax remained while Trazadone done in August 2014.

Continue to experience complete PSSD to this day with sadly no signs of improvement yet.

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't read your whole thread, so forgive me if someone has given you this link.  GiaK is one of our members, and writes a hugely encouraging blog called BeyondMeds.  This video of hers called How I made it through the darkest times of protracted withdrawal is very understanding and encouraging - she went through an intensely difficult withdrawal.

Also, It Gets Better

Hang in there Eleven,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

11-10 you have described it well 'the mental torture that chips away' but it recedes in time albeit slowly so slowly one can only see it in hindsight.

And yes it is terrifying but you dont have to be terrified by it cos you know what it is....wdl . So can you find ways to accept acknowedge and float ..its in the claire weeks thread.

Going back on another psychotropic drug is going to be like getting the 'go to jail'  card ...do not pass go and do not collect accumulated drug free days.

ok so im being a bit OTT but anyway its your call. 

I think its amazing you have survived the past 30 months. Why not just see this as the half time mark and its gonna be a game of two halves and in the second half you win ...Michael Jordan style in overtime ! !

You can do this.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the great links I'm working my way through.

I'm giving it while Christmas before I try the imipramine. There is no guarantee that in another 2 years I will be in any different position as I am now and all I have done is wasted another 2 years I could have done things with my children. I live with such chronic pain and other horrific symptoms on a daily basis that I refuse to feel any regret or guilt for wanting to make that change.

I'm suffering badly with tinitus at the moment it is 24/7 at the loudest level I have experienced. Also the muscle pain means I cannot even brush my hair or eat an apple with chronic pain. Prozac has a lot to answer for, 2010 I completed a "iron woman" competition. Granted I was 4 last out of just under a 100 but I completed it with a massive smile. I miss my old life but I'm doing everything I can bewteeen now and January to give me some kind of improvement, starting with a online meditation course.

I recently read a article where a woman in a similar position saw massive improvement with the blood pressure medication clonidine she took it for just over a year tapering off slowly and has been relatively well ever since. My ears pricked up at this but Still waiting for the 3.5 year mark to make a decision.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• 3 weeks later...

Please please someone with some sleep knowledge give me some advise.

For the last 2 years I have been tracking my symptoms and now I know that without a shadow of a doubt that more sleep results in my symptoms becoming much more. I go through waves of sleeping in this way. Fall asleep at 11 wake around 3-4 very restless for around 2 hrs then fall back for around 4 hrs.

Now 8 hrs sleep prior to this would have been perfect but in this wave it causes horrific symptoms, migraine all day everyday, neck and shoulders more stiff and painful than normal. More tinnitus and vertigo and chronic fatigue is also much worse.

What is worse though is mood, I'm much more depressed, and the old brain burning anxiety and existential terror comes back. After almost 3 years I'm very upset that this still occurs but it does and it's very difficult. I will then swing back to chronic insomnia waking every 40 mins or 2-4 hrs a night which brings its own vile symptoms.

I have done some research and the only thing I can find is that melancholy depression can cause a worsening of depression with more sleep. Any ideas advise would be gratefully received this often feels beyond the limit of human suffering

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks for readability

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

* waking every 40 mins or getting 2-4 hrs sleep a night I meant to write

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Eleven10. What you describe above is me all over I have now been of Effexor for 2 years and I have excactly the same symptoms , migraine all day everyday, neck and shoulders stiff and painful , tinnitus really bad in the morning, chronic fatigue really depressed , and my brain feels like it is burning ,everyday is a huge struggle ,

I like you keep thinking that it will never get better , and if this is half way through my w/d I don't think I can do another 2 or 3 years and then there is no saying I will be better or not , I have found that the more sleep I get the worse mood I wake in , I struggled to get 3hours would fall asleep about 11pm wake about 2am and then toss and turn waking every 10 minutes , now I can sleep for 7 hours not always and I find I am more depressed ,

I think that we are troubled so much in our daily fight for survival that as much as we want of these drugs in hope that we return to some sort of normality , that we can question ourselves and think that we need help in medication to help us get to a better place so that we can get stable enough to help us tackle this daily torture , our fear of the medication causing us more harm is always prominent, so what is the answer ,

my doctor also wants me to try another a/d and I have been so tempted , but I think what if I am so close to the end of this withdrawel and if I just give it a little longer it might lift that stops me from taking another med , but not all people will recover and the thought that I am waisting so much time in hope can be also painfull , I have read on here of people who after years decided to go back on meds and they have worked for them ,

this site is a brilliant resource for anyone who wishes to come of a/d safely and is a gold mine for those who do not want to disrupt their cns these people can come of a lot easier , but for people who have had their cns sensitised through fast tapers from their doctors who are struggling even on a very slow taper and have no windows it can be a hard choice ,

some people went on meds because they had depression in the first place others were put on them for ,sleep ,fatigue ,etc non depression related symptoms, may be we are depressed people and even after our complete withdrawel they will be no healing and we will need medication , if you really can't see any improvement and it s to much you could try a small amount of imipramine, start really small if no improvement after 4weeks tell your doctor that you want to stop ,

i have tried everything , from fish oil , healthy eating , I don't drink , never smoked , can't take supplements that I don't have anything else to give , I am not sure that I can go many more years feeling like you do but I am going to give it a little longer and hope , but what you are going through you are not alone I feel the same so I wish you all the best in what ever decision you make , sometimes you have to step back to be able to move forward

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks for readabilty

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• Moderator Emeritus

Would you create a signature that lists your medication and withdrawal history?  I didn't ask you to do this before and should have.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone, please look at the instructions in Post #8 and Post #9

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Terry.

You read my mind, your post made so much sense to me.

We wait and wait in the desperate hope that our bodies can find the strength to repair themselves. The fear of making things worse stops me trying a new drug that may make my life worth living, that may help me be a well mum again, I cannot bear the thought that the last 3 years have been for nothing.

You are right, this site is like the holy grail for people needing support and for tapering, but if through no fault of your own you find yourself off your drug and in hell apart from confirming what your going through your basically on your own. That's not a criticism of the site, there is still support there but nobody can really help because nobody really knows.

The only criticism I have is I genuinely believe they should not be telling the severely depressed to avoid treatment and carry on. It could very well be severe withdrawal depression but it makes it no less dangerous. Drugs are responsible for many deaths and suffering but they have also saved the lives of the severely ill.

What I do know is something changed in my brain after Prozac withdrawal and I wonder if it will ever change back on its own. I have all the symptoms of a very sensitive nervous system I also have all the symptoms of my old illness and worse. That is one very very sick joke to play on someone.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Eleven10 , I hear you and feel you plight , their are many people who come on this forum and are happy in their lives wilst on a/d , and they feel it is the time to come of them , and through this site the are given valuable information on how to reduce in a safe manner and given the right methods to enable them to withdraw successfully and what to expect , for some of us though we are not so fortunate , our cns have allready been damaged , so wether we go slow or a slightly faster taper we are going to suffer either way , the slower we go the better chance our cns will recover , but to us this feels like an eternity , many people who come to this site are not in protracted withdrawel they are just looking at the safest way to withdraw and many succeed, not all , but some like us are going to have a hard time , i have questioned my position many times as to weather I need to try another med to get me out of this hell , and I have thought many times is it the med that has put me in this hell , do I actually need meds so I can live a life and have I suffered for so long when there is a med to lift me from this , I think you will find that most people who have been on this site for many years who are going through what we are have probably thought the same, I sometimes wonder if they found a pill tomorrow that would be able to cure all this suffering 100% with non side effects , how many people who have gone years without medication who have truly suffered would actually take one , some people will perhaps struggle on all their lives in hope that they will return to normal and maybe never will , I am not sure that person is me , I don't think I can go another 3 years of this and if I find the relentless depression does not lift , I may well have to try something , I like you have a family and I wish to spend time with them and enjoy some sort of a quality life with them ,this I haven't been able to do for the last 3 years , at some point I might have to bite the bullet and admit defeat and try to get some relief get to a better place , see some light and then when I am stronger , start a slow taper , but we should not forget that this site is for helping people who wish to withdraw from a/ds those that want to come of , there are many people happy on them and feel that they are going to be on them all their lives , we all have a choice , their are a lot of people who are on a/d who really shouldn't be , doctors given them out for stupid reasons , but some people do need them and they do work for them , we just have to work out is our quality of life worth taking them , after 3 years I was hoping for some relief I haven't found any , may be I am hoping for a miracle that is never going to happen , I hope you find some relief soon , and if you decide that you need some sort of medication to help you don't beat yourself up , we can only endure so much suffering , I keep thinking that if I give in I am a failure, and all this has been for nothing however if I decide one day that I can't take any more of this and do something stupid then all that my family has been through has been for nothing , and I feel I owe them something , it's a hard thing to keep going in hope , what ever you choose nobody will blame you for wanting to feel better , that's what we all want

Thank you Terry and I agree with everything you say.

The meds are not evil but neither are they a panacea they are what they are it is the prescription providers and the pharmaceutical industry that is to blame.for pain and suffering We have to remember that these drugs were invented for the sickest of the sick, the poor soles that could not function because of there illness and for them the benefits outweighed the risks. I never saw real light in my life before medication, I was ill but in a different way to I am now. Medicatuon worked very well for me, I did not stop it because of side effects or a because it didn't work, I stopped it because I was happy and felt very well. It's incredible I could be prescribed a drug for 17 years and not once be told I would need to come off slowly. Ot would be funny if it was not so tragic.

I can honestly say the only thing stopping me trying a new drug now is the fear it will make me worse. I'm at the end of my limitations, anybody who has watched me go from a strong confident fit 30something lady into the destroyed shell of a woman I am now would say that I passed my limitations 18 months ago but I slog on in the hope my day will come.

I wish you luck Terry, I'm naturally a reserved lady but the thought of you feeling the pain and fear I feel on a daily basis with no knowledge of what the future has in store for you makes me genuinely emotional.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Hi eleven10 , I feel your pain, I think for some of us that were given a/ds because we had depression in the first place is a starting point , when we went to our doctors because we could no longer cope with the depression and given a med and we found relief and it enabled us to get back to some sort of life , we carried on for years happy with the situation , you said that you were happy wilst on Prozac and that you only stopped as you felt good and decided that it was time to stop , but now depression is bad again this maybe the original depression returning and that you may have to except that like me we will always suffer , even if I get of my med I truly believe I will never be a happy ,bubbly carefree sort of person , as it has been so long on this suffering roundabout , there is a fine line between protracted withdrawel and depression , and we must not get sucked into that everything is withdrawel , I have suffered to long now that I believe that my wanting of my meds has perhaps slowed my recovery ,as I have put everything down to withdrawel and that if my original symptoms are resurfacing and I maybe had acted to this earlier I might not have got so bad , this site does not advocate meds , but if you think it's the only way that you may find help then don't be afraid to reach for the help , as I say people have gone back on meds and felt relief then started a slow taper once they have levelled out , if you do decide that it is the only option start very small for a week to see how you feel and to minimise side effects , the doctors try to put us on far to bigger dose and up it to quickly , don't be afraid to admit defeat as that's not what it is , remember when you first decided to go on Prozac you just excepted it and felt fine for many years , feeling better is what we want and we have to do what we can to achieve this , nobody on this site wants anyone to suffer and sometimes we go backwards ,

Terry...I think my illness definitely has elements of my previous illness but there are many parts of it I never had before. I never had trouble sleeping and could nap in the day which is now impossible, in fact I rarely if ever feel sleepy even on 2 hrs sleep. Neither did I ever feel restless or agitated. I also have almost constant tinitus along with a whole host of other symptoms.the thing that is similar is the worries and the looping thoughts and I also have a stronger version of the depression.

I know the length of time on Prozac and the ct has changed the chemistry of my brain and I have strong suspicion it won't change back. That is not being overly negative more than truthful that in almost 3 years I have seen little change. Maybe in 8 9 and 10 I would see more but who wants to wait that length of time with no guarantee. Who can watch their children grow up remembering you as been constantly ill and rarely taking part in memorable activities. And who can afford to risk waiting ten years with often strong suicidal urges.

At the moment I work pt mainly from home. It is a struggle but I do it to feel part of the world. Iv recently been told my role is changing and the stress has been unreal. Prozac has destroyed my ability to handle any kind of stressor in my life. I worry endlessly, I cannot learn or retain new info and the worry destroys my sleep completely. I'm currently back to 2-4 broken hrs of dreamy sleep.

My gp wants me try dosulapin, it's a old tri only available in Europe. Iv tried a quarter of mirtazapine around a year ago and I was awake the whole night and very teary and depressed the next day. Thus the dosulapin stays in the cupboard and I carry on living in hell.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Eleven10, Please take a moment to edit your signature so that it shows the month and year of your cold-turkey.

scallywag's Introduction

I intend to start dosulapin this weekend. For me my health has taken a massive hit in withdrawal. I feel at the end of my limit and I can't go on living in the dark.

I have 25mg which is the lowest dose, they are capsules and I wonder can anyone advise or point me in a direction of advise. Can I split the capsule to get a lower initial dose? Any drowsy producing meds have resulted in a cortisol rushes but I'm unsure if that is the drug or my fear that starts it. As anticipated fear of other things also causes very similar surges. For example I work pt from home and rarely have to go into the office, but on the rare occasion I have to go for meetings the night before I will have very similar surges...

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

One of the challenges with powder-filled capsules is that one needs to use a scale to be accurate and precise when creating partial doses.  It's not difficult but some people find it a pain in the neck.

Here's a link to our topic on Using a digital scale to measure doses

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you.

I have a digital scale and just ordered some empty capsules. I'll never take a ssri again so really hoping I can tolerate the tricyclic. The therapeutic dose is 75-225mg so I'm planning on starting on 10mg.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Be sure that your scale has the capacity to measure to hundredths of a gram (0.01), or ideally, thousandths, 0.001. You'll need that level of precision as your dose gets lower.

scallywag's Introduction

I'm in such a state, I seem to feel worse everyday. My ears constantly ring, my neck and shoulders are solid locked muscle that cause constant unrelenting pain. I have a overwhelming desire to sleep but when I lay down I feel a overwhelming need to get back up and the torture continues.

I have no idea why my brain is refusing to heal, I can't seem to make any progress, I do all the right things.

I have the dosulapin and clonidine at the side of my bed but I'm too scared to take it, I'm terrified to make things worse because I cannot bear to feel one inch worse than I do.

I really feel my life is not worth living. Which is a proposturos notion because I have children. 4 years ago to this day we were at the winter wonderland in London having such fun. I do not want to live in a world where psychiatric drugs can take me away from my children.

It is crazy to think I never saw a psychiatrist until I was Introduced to Prozac by my gp.

This is not a wave because iv never had a window. Iv waited patiently for 3 years and I can't take anymore. Meds got me in the mess and I feel meds are the only thing that will get me out but I'm too terrified to take them.

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to read that things are continue to be so difficult for you, 2.5+ years after jumping from 20 mg to 0 mg. It's extremely unfortunate that we don't know that a given person is highly sensitive to medication until after a change is made.

After 14 years of being on Prozac, that cold-turkey was a very shocking "bounce" for your CNS. Your brain and the rest of your CNS (central nervous system) *have been* recovering to a drug-free state even though the recovery work isn't noticeable to you right now.

Some questions for you:

• What did you decide regarding the imipramine prescription?

• What is your symptom pattern?
    If you haven't been taking notes of your symptoms, please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:
    Take notes of doses and symptoms

• Are you open to the idea of re-introducing a very small dose of Prozac to see if you get symptom relief? This is merely a question about your openness not a suggestion or advice to start taking anything. Although this linked topic is about reinstatement, the information about benefits and risks may be relevant:
    About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you Scallywag.

I have dosulapin instead, it is a tricyclic like imipramine with a weaker serotonin reuptaker action apparently.

Its hard to describe how ill I feel all day but is usually worse in a morning, I wake feeling horrific, tinnitus seems louder my head beats and every muscle in my body seems tight, I literally struggle with the energy to walk from one room to another. My mood is also very very low. It stays the same all day, I struggle to think or remember simple things and my muscles twitch. I feel constantly off balance and a terrible feeling of uneasiness and fear. I wouldn't say I get a window but occasionally I feel a little bit easier at night but not always. I'm get so tired I can't put a sentence together but usually soon as I get in bed I feel like my brain wakes up, I often drop off for a couple of hours but wake with a terrifically uncomfortable need to move my legs. I'm restless all night, I worry endlessly about the most simple irelavent things like are my cats ok or silly things, my thoughts loop around. I then doze until 4-5 when I feel like expreso has been poured into brain. I may drop back off but it's a toxic dreamy sleep that I feel I struggle to get out of and leaves me breathless and anxious. Vile.

I would definitely consider Prozac but surely 3 years Is too late? And I think I would find it far too stimulating. What terrifies most is feeling more activated.

Thank you for your help

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Hi Eleven10,

Just letting you know that I'm following your posts now.

I'm so sorry for the pain and suffering you are enduring, and understand that every day is a long slog....much harder than any iron man competition.  At least with races you get a sense of achievement (I used to be a marathoner) afterwards.

Can you get to an osteopath to have your shoulders and neck sorted out?  This will mean your headaches will stop.  I can assure you that your migraines will stop and that an osteo can sort you out and get to the root causes of your pain.

The tension in our bodies, because of WD, has us locked in a vicious circle of pain.  At least you can start to reduce some of your pain areas.

Big hugs,

JC

P.S We should make a pact with each other that we will race again.  There are some marathons I would like to cross off my bucket list, and I'm not ready to give up on that.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

Eleven10, it's far more helpful in troubleshooting if you to take notes of your symptoms on paper.  At the best of times, memory is a mediocre tool. When dealing with symptoms of any health condition, it's likely to be worse than mediocre.

Logging symptoms on paper allows you to see patterns, if any. Please consider keeping a paper log for a few days and then posting the notes here in your introduction topic.

scallywag's Introduction