SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Blondiee1915: 3 months off lexapro - does it get better?

Blondiee1915

Admin note: link to benzo forum thread - Blondiee1915: Xanax taper. Need help

Hi all . I was on SSRI for 9 years (mostly lexapro) with some small breaks in between. I withdrew fully (don't believe I did it slowly) in July and now 3 months later I am experiencing intense symptoms that became disabling at times . I was initially prescribed lexapro in college for panic attacks and general anxiety . Physical symptoms compared to emotional were not bad for me at all . Now 3 months later my fatigue intensified. I am constantly exhausted no matter how much I sleep . I feel detached and disconnected. I am also indifferent and not emotional (example I don't want to be intimate) the most annoying thing is dizziness and the feeling of disbalance I wonder if it will ever go away . At times I wonder if I should go back on drugs but in all honestly they didn't really help me I just get like a zombie. If anyone can share their experience coming off lexapro, similar symptoms and if gets better . Thank you so much ❤️

Edited by Shep
added link to benzo forum thread

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
  • Moderator Emeritus

Blondiee1915 -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • If you can't remember exact dates, an approximate time frame is good enough, e.g. "mid-June" or "early August."
  • Please provide as much detail as you can about how you came off Lexapro.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature

It sounds like you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Fatigue and the emotional symptoms you describe are acknowledged withdrawal symptoms. You can learn more about withdrawal syndrome at this topic:
What is withdrawal syndrome

You can find links to discussions about symptoms either this topic, Important topics about symptoms
or by browsing the Symptoms Forum

The only known way to address withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate the drug that you discontinued. Please do not reinstate the former dose you took. Since you stopped taking Lexapro, your CNS (central nervous system) has undone some of the changes it made while you were taking it. Your previous dose will likely be too much. When we have a better picture of your medication and withdrawal history, we'll suggest a dose for you to consider. Please read this topic to understand the benefits and risks of reinstatement.
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Also possibly relevant for you: Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi!

Thank you so much for getting back to me.  I really appreciate any feedback 

I just adjusted my signature and added my history 

I am so nervous to reinstate lexapro and I am not sure if I should hold off a bit longer.  Considering I was on this medication on and off for 9 years maybe I need to withdraw much slower I am not sure.  I feel hopeless and sad that this is how I feel and it is not getting better.  I want to go to the gym to run outside, go to yoga, take my dog to a park.  But the spinning and disbalance, detached feeling,  clogging in ears feeling of omg I might faint (anxiety? side effect?) is preventing me from all this.  

I dont know if I should call my old psychiatrist or find a new one that take my insurance or just reinstate lexapro myself which I really dont want to do it is like going back and reversing :(((((( 

very discouraged today and just feel like a loser for not being able to be "normal" and handle life 

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

• 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Sorry you are are experiencing wdl.

Contacting your psych will result in a dismissive attiitude, unacknowlegment and a  downplaying of what you are experiencing and may well have to endure for many months.

Are you able to write a complaint letter to the appropriate body regarding this iatrogenic harm.

Welcome Blondie

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

NZ11 - hi!

I can already picture how this will be.  I call my doctor and go see her.  She tells me the way I feel is that because my anxiety is back and I am depressed (I was never depressed or diagnosed with depression prior to starting Lexapro).  She will say "withdrawal side effects should have stopped after 3 months".  You need medication and let's do this one.  I will have a script in less than 30 mins of the visit will write 200$ check and go to the pharmacy to pick up druggies.  If it is back on lexapro i will enter zombie land and sleeping land again, if it is something new who knows?? 

I really wish we had doctors that actually want to help and guide you thru withdrawal inform you and monitor you instead of push medicine on you and tell you that you have to take it for life.  

I did not write to any agencies or report the side effect.  

Please write to an agency and raise a complaint.

Maybe its time to find a new doctor check out the rec doctors thread maybe there is one in your area.

I have survived the wdl drug free it is the hardest thing i have ever had to do.

If you cant cope the only option is as already mentioned by SW to ri

nz11

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

nz11 - thank you so much for your feedback.  I think I am going to try to hold off a little longer.  I might look for a psychiatrist and go for a consultation just to have that under my belt in case of the emergency.  At times I feel like I can do it I will be okay.  And other days I get so overwhelmed and just want to give up. 

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi ChessieCat, thank you for the links I will check them out 

I have an appointment with naturopatic doctor on Tuesday, I am not sure if he can help me but I am going to try before going to psychiatrist.  

I am getting anxiety just thinking about going to the psychiatrist and starting the med again :( on top of that I have to study for CPA exam and it is so hard studying while feeling like this 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is SA's discussion:  how-good-are-naturopaths-and-other-alternative-practitioners.  Before following the advice  of the naturopath, I suggest you post their suggestions back here so you can get a second opinion.  Or research existing topics:  to search the SA for use a search engine like google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic.

SA only recommends 2 supplements: Omega-3 Fish Oil and Magnesium.  B vitamins can be stimulating, especially Vitamin B6.  If trying something new, it is best to try a small dose and build up and only try one thing at a time.

Some people have found acupuncture helpful:  Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)

Here are some topics to check out:

dont-waste-your-money-on-these-supplements

supplements-what-helps-what-doesnt

truehope-the-road-back-labelmesane

no-recommendations-for-commercial-programs-to-assist-withdrawal

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Blondie you will be wasting your time going to a psychiatrist. Truly. What do you think they can do? They cannot help you.

Im not sure what CPA is but at a guess i think its the american accounting course.

Along with all those great links cc gave you study is a great way to provide a distraction while enduring ssri wdl...trust me!

Dont give up.

Recovering paxil addict

nz11 - thank you for your support.  I am trying my best here.  Felt so anxious last night deciding what to do, to start again or not. This am a bit better, taking my dog to the park to get some fresh air. 

ChessieCat - thank you for all those links.  I am going to start journalizing and mediate :) 

update: yesterday was anxious but I went to see a natural doctor and I got some Mood Food and Trancor supplements.  I started taking them yesterday.  I understand that these are natural "antidepressants" and the goal is not to be on anything but I do think I need a little something while dealing with the withdrawal.  My dizziness is not going away really, and the brain fog is still there as well.  I got a suggestion to use light therapy.  I got a lamp and took it to work today.  I am doing about 30 mins a day.  I will report any updates on mood and total well being.  

I have been off lexapro for 3 months now and month 3 has been very difficult (I was off and on lexapro for about 9 years).  I keep thinking in my head what I should do to hold on or reinstate lexapro.

Month 3 I am feeling exhausted (I can sleep for hours), anxious, very out of it, detached, emotional at times, very dizzy, disbalanced, brain fog, fear of doing things in public, I also feel like I am going crazy and have racing thoughts like omg if anything happens I know where the hospital is and I can drive myself there.

I contacted my psychiatrist to see what I should do and was told that if i dont want to do medication I should use a CBT specialist instead.  She said that this is not my withdrawal but my anxiety.

I have a high demanding job and I do not have a luxury of not working and taking time off to heal from this drug.  I was upset this week that I am broken and cant be fixed, that I need to be on drugs until the rest of my life and there is no better.

When I was on lexapro I felt functional, but I still had anxiety and was always exhausted and did not care about anything.  If lexapro made me feel good in the past I would not hesitate to take it, but I know if i take it it will definitely help to function but i would still feel crappy.  I also tried other meds and they did not seem to work.  So do I stick it out?  Become a testing rat for another med or take lexapro and accept the not so good but functional feeling.  Please help :(

Any coping mechanisms? I cant even go to the gym I am so exhausted and dizzy.  I know exercise helps but I am scarred to have a panic attack or pass out there.  I tried looking for CBT therapist and most of the good ones do not take insurance and charge 300$ a session! that is insane.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  My heart goes out to all of you that are going through any of this.  

Edited by ChessieCat
Added paragraphs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Blondiee,

I moved your new topic so that your history stays together.  Please also add the new supplements that you have started taking to your signature.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

I suggest you carefully re-read the About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstate may or may not work.  Unfortunately we just don't know if it will or not.  All we can do is provide you with the information.  We cannot make the decision for you.  If you do decide to try a reinstatement please only try a very small dose.

ChessieCat - thank you for the reply back . In how long do you usually feel if the reinstatement works (I know it depends on individual ) few days few weeks ? Also, I am not sure if I should try another med or do lexapro . The only reason I don't want to do lexapro is bc it made feel indifferent and very very tired :((( do you know if there is a liquid version is 5 mg too much ? ( last time I was on it I took 10) . Would you recommend being supervised by the doctor . I was going to reach out to my dr again but she does not think it is withdrawal :(

Hi Blondiee.  Reinstating is the only known way to minimize withdrawal symptoms. At about 3 months ( which is basically the cut off point) I would try a small reinstatement of perhaps  .5 - 1 mg Lexapro just to ease symptoms and stay functional.

After a lengthy stabilization period perhaps slowly taper using the 10 % taper method or you could even go slower.

The slowness of slow tapers

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3949-stabilizing-after-a-reduction-what-does-that-mean/

You are at that point, meaning that you can either possibly reinstate now or perhaps go through a long hard withdrawal.

Have a read of all the links and see what you think applies to your situation.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi AliG . Thank you for the info . I am going to go to one of those walk in places and see if I can get a prescription of liquid lexapro . I will try 1 mg and see how it goes

• Mentor

Hi Blondiee1915,
I am going thru something similar, I am going off of lexapro too (and this is not the first time I tried to go off it it, either)

From what I have seen, reading a handful or so of the stories here, lexapro is one of the hardest drugs to get off of

as you will see in my signature, I just re instated after being off completely since May of this year. I am not sure why my withdrawal symptoms suddenly got so bad but I just couldn't tolerate them any more

I have the liquid and I took a TINY amnt- just one half of one TENTH of a mg!
It's possible to do if you get a syringe that is measured out in 1/10mgs - I get them for my pet rats. When I filled the prescription, I requested a new syringe and they gave me two, one that goes up to 3 or 4 mgs & the smaller one for the smaller doses

I personally, after all the time I've spent dealing with this damn drug, I personally would urge you to start at no more than 0.5mgs or less.

You can also go up if you need to, but if you start too high, and it makes this worse, then what?

I can not say for sure that I am having a MUCH better day today after just two days on that tiny tiny dose, that it's reinstated that has helped

or if it's the placebo effect- ??

or if I was just going to have a good window anyway (if you've read the "windows and waves" info you know that you'll have a bad period that's called a wave, interspersed with better times called windows)

but I am very glad that I only took the tiny amt.

I hate what lexapro did to me, it took away all my feelings, and I am just now getting those back

After all these months being off of it, I *really* did not want to be taking ANY of it ever again but if this helps get me thru the really bad spots it's worth it

that off balance feeling is very common in lexapro w/d.  I feel for you. It will go away but it looks like you tapered off very quickly, as i did (I am having a hard time reading so correct me if I"m wrong)  and it might be worth it to take a tiny tiny bit of the liquid

I switched off from cutting a 10mg pill up to taking the liquid and the liquid DOES seem to be stronger, so that's why I am suggesting you go for the smallest amnt that you can take.

I will check back with you in a few days, i'm only on day 2 of re instating, and let you know how I am doing but of course, we are all different, so "your results may vary"
Still, there are enough similarities in the symptoms and your history that maybe my experience will help you decide what might work for you.

I wish you luck and I hope things turn around for you soon

if you feel up to it, read my thread for the full story, it's a bit long but it's all there in order of what happened when LOL I am not good at summarizing and besides, you might find some useful tips there, who knows?

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Catnapt - hi! Thank you for your post it made me feel a bit better . Knowing that others experience similar symptoms is helpful . When you were on lexapro did you feel' normal '? My biggest fear is that what if this is permanent bland the long term use brought this dizziness disbalance anxiety racing thoughts and that is who I am and I am sick and it will not get better . If I only had certainty that it will get better I would be much happier .... So happy work is almost over and I can go home . Hope you are having an okay day . Keep me posted on how you are doing with the liquid ❤️❤️❤️

• Mentor

Catnapt - hi! Thank you for your post it made me feel a bit better . Knowing that others experience similar symptoms is helpful . When you were on lexapro did you feel' normal '? My biggest fear is that what if this is permanent bland the long term use brought this dizziness disbalance anxiety racing thoughts and that is who I am and I am sick and it will not get better . If I only had certainty that it will get better I would be much happier .... So happy work is almost over and I can go home . Hope you are having an okay day . Keep me posted on how you are doing with the liquid ❤️❤️❤️

When I was on lexapro, I did not feel normal, no.  I felt detached from the world, I had no emotions stuff like that. I felt like nothing was real and that nothing mattered. It wasnt' like a depression, more like apathy but not really, because feeling that way bothered me. plus I slept a LOT. I could lie down at any time of day or night and fall asleep, regardless of how much sleep I'd already had (now going thru WD, i sleep at most for 90 mins at time before waking up but it's getting better)

When i was put on lexapro, I was already on celexa, the first version of the drug, and when the "new and improved,slightly different but much stronger" Lexapro hit the market, my doc switched me to that.

Initially I was very happy with the switch because there were very few side effects compared to the celexa. I had severe nausea with celexa and head aches and neck pain and sweating and yawning.

But over time, I lost all my feelings and would sleep an incredible amount of time each day, up to 20hrs and I never felt rested. I would complain to my PCP (lost my psychiatrist and have no interest in ever seeing another one!) My PCP would insist that I must be depressed and try to get me to a psychiatrist. Thank god I did not do that, I would have been put on a different med most surely! and taken off the lexapro too fast as well. It would have been MUCH worse. I am extremely grateful that I found this website and learned about the proper way to get off these meds.

I doubt that any of the effects of this drug are permanent (with the POSSIBLE exception of sexual side effects, but I won't go into that as it's more then my tired brain can handle right now and I honestly do not KNOW - I just recall seeing some discussions about that topic)

so anyway, you will heal, your brain will heal and you will be back to your pre drug self, I truly believe that and it appears to be borne out by the evidence and the success stories here and elsewhere, so don't stress about that. or try not to! easier said than done, I know!!

I was very very eager to be free of this damn drug forever but now I am kinda regretting going as fast as I did. I had a period when things were manageable and now, they are not so manageable.

I have been reading other threads by ppl going off lexapro like us, and it seems to be a common thing that when you hit the 2.5 mg area, you actually start to have more problems going down, and not less.

That sucks BUT Its good to know, so you can plan ahead

I felt like it was a kind of failure to be having more trouble now than I did at first, but now I see it's got nothing to do with me, or my will power, or anything else.

it's just the way this damn drug works in our brains.

it sucks but we'll get thru it!!

I really think you did go down too fast and considering the symptoms you are having, my feeling is that a reinstatement at the lowest possible dose might be the only thing that really helps.

Any time I had symptoms that intense, I had to go back on it, only at the time, I did NOT know about proper tapering. IF I had  known that back then, I would have gone back on a much smaller dose.

as it turned out, I did just that over the past year or so but not because I knew it was the right thing to do, but because I was desperate, but un willing to go back to sleeping my life away.

You will get thru this and we will be here with you every step of the way.

I hope that you can get the liquid lexapro, I think it will help.

after what I've gone thru, and seen others go thru, on this particular drug, I would not recommend trying to tough it out.

It can go ok for awhile, but then it seems to get bad, and really bad (esp at the lower doses, as I mentioned)

I am glad your work day is about done (or done now) I hope you have a good weekend

My other advice is to try to keep things in your life as stable as you can. Obviously there are some things we have no control over, but don't be like me, and add a bunch of new activities all at once or something like that LOL

I think that me doing that, made my WD go bad.

I am now being very careful to keep as many things the same as possibe. Same doses of supplements, keep my diet stable, remember to breathe, take epsom salt baths when you get anxious, sleep when you feel you can, even if it's not at night. and Esp if you are having trouble sleeping at night.

stuff like that. feel free to private message me. If you dont' hear back from me in a day or so, please don't be upset, sometimes I have to take a break from the computer but I will always answer eventually.

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

I need advice please. 

I decided to reinstate.  I have too many racing thoughts, upset with this dizziness and very detached that I am scared to go anywhere :( Today is Sunday and I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday.  I have some lexapro and was wondering if it will be a good idea to reinstate myself tonight (take a half of 5 mg pill).  I am scared to go to work tomorrow :( Maybe I should take xanax and suck it up and try my best until Wednesday.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Blondiee.  Reinstating is the only known way to minimize withdrawal symptoms. At about 3 months ( which is basically the cut off point) I would try a small reinstatement of perhaps  .5 - 1 mg Lexapro just to ease symptoms and stay functional.

After a lengthy stabilization period perhaps slowly taper using the 10 % taper method or you could even go slower.

The slowness of slow tapers

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3949-stabilizing-after-a-reduction-what-does-that-mean/

You are at that point, meaning that you can either possibly reinstate now or perhaps go through a long hard withdrawal.

Have a read of all the links and see what you think applies to your situation.

Ali

You can make your own liquid if you have some Lexapro left. All you need is a syringe and a small jar. You can start with 1:1 ratio: for instance 10 mg in 10 ml of water and draw out 1 ml to get 1 mg.

A lot of us have been through this. It is hard but you will make it. I regret that I reinstated a high dose of Lexapro because now I have much longer tapering. Reinstating a too high dose after some time off can cause worsening of symptoms. That's why reinstating a small dose is so important. I would try to do whatever I can to reduce the workload.

Good luck.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi bubble thank you for your reply . What the reinstatement depend on the dose that I was on before . I think I was on 10 mg or 5 mg I can't remember now . So if it was a higher dose does this mean the reinstatement need to be higher ? ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Your signature says you were on 10 mg. But that's not so important at the moment. What matters most is that you were off the drug for 3 months so we won't to minimise the possibility of a bad reaction. In those 3 months your brain has done quite a bit of adjustment and is in a very sensitive state so we must treat it gently. You can always updose later on. More is not better in this situation.

I recognize those symptoms of Lexapro withdrawal and before that I was off another AD for 3 months and things were progressively getting worse so you are making the right decision.

Just ask as many questions as you need to and let us know how you are doing.

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi Bubble,

That makes perfect sense.  I have to convince my doctor to start me very low like 2 mg or even lower.  She will probably say this is anxiety and I have to be on drugs for the rest of my life and this is too low of a dosage.  She says side effects are all gone by month 3. But I need prescription so will try to do my best with her so that I can just get a prescription.  

I will report back once I start on Wednesday 

Thank you again 

• Moderator Emeritus

I gave up trying to persuade doctors especially psychiatrists. I don't have the energy for that.

You can just say that you want to start back on the drug and she will be happy. How much you take is up to you. Our moderator's Brass doctor still things he is taking 40 mgs or something like that and he is almost off.

• Mentor

I gave up trying to persuade doctors especially psychiatrists. I don't have the energy for that.

You can just say that you want to start back on the drug and she will be happy. How much you take is up to you. Our moderator's Brass doctor still things he is taking 40 mgs or something like that and he is almost off.

yep me too, the last doc to Rx a prescription for me thinks I was gonna take 2.5mgs for a month and then just stop :/

she couldn't understand why I was taking any at all, because, according to her, a dose that low "had no effect at all"

*sigh*

Hi Bubble,

That makes perfect sense.  I have to convince my doctor to start me very low like 2 mg or even lower.  She will probably say this is anxiety and I have to be on drugs for the rest of my life and this is too low of a dosage.  She says side effects are all gone by month 3. But I need prescription so will try to do my best with her so that I can just get a prescription.  

I will report back once I start on Wednesday 

Thank you again

Your doctor is so clueless. These side effects don't go away. They just get worse until you realise they've ruined your life and years have been lost to them.

I've been tapering Lexapro for over a year now. I went way too fast at first, and experienced every withdrawal symptom. Anxiety, depression, dizziness, nausea, akathesia, depersonalization, derealization, fatigue, headache, you name it. They've all come, gone, come again with less intensity and left again.

Don't believe what your withdrawal brain is telling you. NONE of this is permanent. Healing does happen. I know. I've seen it.

Whether you reinstate or not at whatever dosage you decide on know this - You CAN get off this stuff. You CAN regain most, if not all of what you've lost. Trust me. You'll be amazed.

Peace, love and healing.

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

I accepted the fact that this is what my doctor thinks and there is no changing her opinion.  She is the doctor she knows best, right ? My plan is to tell her I want to start very slow and get liquid.  She knows I am sensitive so hopefully will prescribe liquid no questions asked.  I just hope I will feel some sort of relief on a small dosage and I don't have to go up again. Fatigue, exhaustion, indifference and empathy, but no racing thoughts, detachment feeling, will all come with lexapro

• Mentor

I accepted the fact that this is what my doctor thinks and there is no changing her opinion.  She is the doctor she knows best, right ? My plan is to tell her I want to start very slow and get liquid.  She knows I am sensitive so hopefully will prescribe liquid no questions asked.  I just hope I will feel some sort of relief on a small dosage and I don't have to go up again. Fatigue, exhaustion, indifference and empathy, but no racing thoughts, detachment feeling, will all come with lexapro

I would not assume that you will get all the effects of lexapro that you found troublesome, at a lower dose. You might, but you might not

I just re instated at a tiny dose and so far, it's been only a good experience. The horrible WD symptoms I was experiencing have improved dramatically (just about to update my thread)

the only tiny thing that has not been positive was that I was a wee bit off balance when I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, but it lasted literally seconds.

Compare that to day after day of panic attacks, severe anxiety, insomnia, etc and I'll so glad I reinstated.

I'm also glad I used such a tiny dose.

I have increased from 0.2mgs to 0.1mgs (1/10 of a mg) and hope that I can stay at this tiny dose, but if, after a few days of letting this settle, I start to have those intolerable WD symptoms again, I can go up a tiny bit more if need be.

I honestly wish I hadn't waited so long but I didn't realize what was happening til things were super bad. I just kept trying to ignore it, hoping it would go away.  Now I know that paying attention to symptoms is not the same as ruminating on them!! LOL

I hope that your doc gives you the liquid, it's a lot easier to dose than cutting up the pills. I did the pills cut up for awhile and then tried crushing them and adding them to water, but they solids would sink to the bottom of the liquid so fast that it was very hard to get an accurate dose.

the liquid is in a suspension that keeps everything evenly distributed

good luck!!

Reinstated lexapro October 31 at 2.5 mg . No changes noted yet . Headache and brain fog since last week no improvement

• Mentor

hang in there, I hope this works for you!! 

are you still feeling off balance? and dizzy?

Yea, still the same . I slept better last night though so hopefully will be ok tonight too