SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Blondiee1915: 3 months off lexapro - does it get better?

Blondiee1915

Hi Blondiee:

Just wanted to drop by and say hi.

Hope you're doing well. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hi Frogie, I am doing okay . Hope all is well with you

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Hi Frogie, I am doing okay . Hope all is well with you

I'm glad you're doing well. :)

Still have the nausea, but life goes on lol...

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I don't know what to do and if I should updose. I was hoping to taper this month but my symptoms are not easing up . Biggest concern would be - dizziness / off balance feeling almost like everything is spinning and my equilibrium is off . I have it constantly but last few days this was more intense. I am also fatigued still. Tinnitus seems to be a tiny bit better so that is a good thing . I am also experiencing this weird feeling of detachment and just feeling weird being anywhere. I went to the store yesterday my anxiety was high but I just felt very out of it and the bright lights were too much . Not sure what this means .

Any input would be much appreciated

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

• 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Hi Blondiee:

You know my problems. I have updosed twice now. But I have the nausea going on.

I get anxiety, but I try to box breathe. In for five, hold for five, out for five, and hold for five. I try that for at least 10 minutes. If that doesn't help, I have Xanax to fall back on. That's something else I have to taper.

If you can't function, I would updose, but I'm not a dr or a mod. I listen to the mods here. They are the best.

A mod will help you through this.

I wish you luck :)

Let me know what you decide.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what to do and if I should updose. I was hoping to taper this month but my symptoms are not easing up . Biggest concern would be - dizziness / off balance feeling almost like everything is spinning and my equilibrium is off . I have it constantly but last few days this was more intense. I am also fatigued still. Tinnitus seems to be a tiny bit better so that is a good thing . I am also experiencing this weird feeling of detachment and just feeling weird being anywhere. I went to the store yesterday my anxiety was high but I just felt very out of it and the bright lights were too much . Not sure what this means .

Any input would be much appreciated

Hi Blondie, 

I am new to your thread. I've been reading through it and you've been through a lot! I have some things in common with you -- including the dp/dr which can be quite unnerving. You asked about PTSD -- in what I have learned the last few months, "trauma" can be any overwhelming negative experience, and withdrawal certainly fits into that category. 

I don't have any experience with updosing, but like frogie said, I'm sure a moderator will be by soon to weigh in. Just wanted to stop in and say hi. :)

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Frogie - thanks for the input. I can get through the day but it is challenging . I don't know if the updose will help as I was on 50 mg and I still had dizziness. But at the same time I am struggling. My thinking is that maybe go up a bit see if helps and then much slower taper. I think back during summer of 2016 I made a big ooh ooh and essentially cold turkeys of lexapro and my system is struggling still. I feel like if I went slow I would not have had all these troubles. So do I go up and hope my symptoms get more manageable or continue and hope in time I will be better . It is so hard functioning when I feel like I am on a rocking boat / whip lash sensation . Will see what moderators think . Ty again <3

SkyBlue - hi and ty for stopping by. Blue is my favorite color and pink :)

We all are going through a lot specially with long history of being on medications. I agree with you about PTSD . When I first heard of it I associated it with life traumas such as war or assaults but I had a pretty normal life so I thought no way . But now going through WD I can see how it affects me and I do think I have some form of it. Dp/dr is scary for sure . Best thing to do is to distract and not pay attention to that but it is sooo hard and can be overwhelming . I will stop by your thread later today and read about your journey . It is very nice to meet you

B

Hey Blondiee, 

You aren't alone in the fatigue department. It's my worst symptom I have! I think it can be one for the last symptoms to leave. At least I'm hoping so. lol  :D  From what I've been reading and other people I've talked to A LOT of people have severe fatigue during WD. I literally was convinced I developed chronic fatigue system, which in a way I have, but that doesn't mean that it won't go away after WD. I believe our whole body is effected by WD. Liver, gut, brain, adrenals, muscles, etc. I felt tired while taking Lexparo, but nothing like this. I know exactly what you mean about not feeling refreshed no matter how much sleep you get. That's exactly how I am. I can sleep 8-10 hours straight and still feel exhausted and so tired. I'm just hoping as time goes by that my body will heal and I'll get back my energy!  :)

Hi Chicago, 

Thank you so much for stopping by :) I completely agree our whole body is affected by WD, liver adrenals and the brain for sure.  It is comforting to know I am not the only one because I recently started questioning and dwelling on this symptom and thinking is it me?  I did read on some thread how it is the last symptom to go as well.  I also read how our bodies heal when we sleep and since I sleep alot now days I guess this is good; better than insomnia for sure.  It is also hard to participate in anything.  My friends would say oh let's do happy hour or this or that and on Friday night last thing I want is to drink.  I basically just go home and relax.  Oye who knew this about lexapro.  I hope this fatigue will lift for both of us soon.  I got this light lamp at work as well to see if it helps.  I also think when it is sunny out it is much easier for me to get through the day,  it is like I am sensitive to this gloomy rainy weather.  

Hope you are doing well Chicago, stay strong :)

Hi Blondiee, Hi Chicago,

I'm sorry you are both struggling with fatigue... I have spent so much time googling about it!! There are no words to describe how it feels... it is actually what brought me here, with the intention to come off all drugs.

For me, it got really bad a few weeks after decreasing Lexapro (Escitalopram) from 20 to 15mg as my Doctor told me to. To this day, I still wonder whether this was connected to the drop, an accumulation of over a decade on 4 psych drugs...? 

I agree with you, Chicago, I think it is difficult to say whether either one of us has "CFS", it is highly likely to be a result of the drugs and withdrawal.

I also sleep a lot and although I never feel refreshed either, I am sure this will help with Healing :) ...  

Oh, and I also have cog fog right now, apologies for my weird post!!

Take care of yourselves!!

Julz xxx

2004: Anorexia & Depression -> polydrugged as a result  :wacko:

- Venlafaxine(MR): 75mg

- Escitalopram: 60mg ...
- Diazepam: 10mg bedtime prescribed, no c/o
- Clonazepam: 4mg
2010: New Life in the UK - psychologically much better
GP wants to lower Escitalopram (side effects on heart) -> 2011 to 2014: come down from 60 to 15mg in 5mg steps (I had no idea) - January 2014: after dropping from 20mg to 15mg Esc. plagued with debilitating exhaustion... December 2014: I decide to taper off Benzos... and everything else.
29 May 2017: Drug Free after 13 years!! 
Varied balanced diet, no processed/refined foods. Plenty water. Yoga & Mindfulness.
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Blondie,

I've just been looking at your signature:

Lexapro 10 mg 2015 -2016, few months 15 mg

Vibryiid 05/16-06/16 10-15 mg 

Started to withdraw from Vibryiid around mid June with last dose in early July 16.  Felt pretty good for the whole summer. Some anxiety, dizziness, short fuse, some weakness but okay overall. Comes October - dizziness, spinning, off balance feeling, FATIGUE, anxiety, fear, racing thoughts, insomnia, DP/DR

Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro.  Some relief, sleep better, severe DP/DR decreased.  Still very anxious, exhausted, dizzy. 

Switched 12/26/16 Luvox 50 mg (25 mg am and 25 mg pm).  Dizziness, exhaustion, anxiety, sleeping ALOT 

1/13/17 switched to one dose of Luvox 50 mg before bed.  EXHAUSTED, sleeping ALOT, dizzy, weakness, off balance, anxiety 

1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg before bed

Would you please add some additional dates (at the least months) for when you were on Lexapro in 2016?  You mention reinstating it but not when you stopped it.

If you were experiencing dizziness, spinning, off balance feeling in October, then I don't think updosing the Luvox would help with this.  My thinking is that it may be a withdrawal symptom from Viibryd (would you mind correcting your spelling of this? - searching on your spelling brings up vibrioid - thanks!) and/or Lexapro, depending on when you stopped the Lexapro.

It may be that your brain just needs time and TLC to adapt.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Blondiee, Hi Chicago,

I'm sorry you are both struggling with fatigue... I have spent so much time googling about it!! There are no words to describe how it feels... it is actually what brought me here, with the intention to come off all drugs.

For me, it got really bad a few weeks after decreasing Lexapro (Escitalopram) from 20 to 15mg as my Doctor told me to. To this day, I still wonder whether this was connected to the drop, an accumulation of over a decade on 4 psych drugs...? 

I agree with you, Chicago, I think it is difficult to say whether either one of us has "CFS", it is highly likely to be a result of the drugs and withdrawal.

I also sleep a lot and although I never feel refreshed either, I am sure this will help with Healing :) ...  

Oh, and I also have cog fog right now, apologies for my weird post!!

Take care of yourselves!!

Julz xxx

Hi Julz! Thank you for stopping by. It is comforting to know I am not the only one. I do sympathize with you as I know exactly what it feels like . I just hope it lifts soon . I still do not understand how it is possible to develop it . What do these meds do that you were energetic before them then became a zombie on them and after stopping crazy fatigue . Sorry I am all over the place maybe I have a brain fog too . I am fatigued and dizzy Just happy it is Friday . Hope you are doing okay

Hi Blondie,

I've just been looking at your signature:

Lexapro 10 mg 2015 -2016, few months 15 mg

Vibryiid 05/16-06/16 10-15 mg 

Started to withdraw from Vibryiid around mid June with last dose in early July 16.  Felt pretty good for the whole summer. Some anxiety, dizziness, short fuse, some weakness but okay overall. Comes October - dizziness, spinning, off balance feeling, FATIGUE, anxiety, fear, racing thoughts, insomnia, DP/DR

Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro.  Some relief, sleep better, severe DP/DR decreased.  Still very anxious, exhausted, dizzy. 

Switched 12/26/16 Luvox 50 mg (25 mg am and 25 mg pm).  Dizziness, exhaustion, anxiety, sleeping ALOT 

1/13/17 switched to one dose of Luvox 50 mg before bed.  EXHAUSTED, sleeping ALOT, dizzy, weakness, off balance, anxiety 

1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg before bed

Would you please add some additional dates (at the least months) for when you were on Lexapro in 2016?  You mention reinstating it but not when you stopped it.

If you were experiencing dizziness, spinning, off balance feeling in October, then I don't think updosing the Luvox would help with this.  My thinking is that it may be a withdrawal symptom from Viibryd (would you mind correcting your spelling of this? - searching on your spelling brings up vibrioid - thanks!) and/or Lexapro, depending on when you stopped the Lexapro.

It may be that your brain just needs time and TLC to adapt.

Hi ChassieCat,

Thank you for your input . I actually need to update my signature and make it a bit more clear . I reinstated lexapro on 10/31 at 2.5 mg and then within 2 weeks went up to 5mg then I switched from generic to brand for 2 weeks or so and on Christmas Day I directly switched to Luvox 50 mg. so a lot of changes

I agree my brain does needs healing and TLC for sure . I try to be patient. I had an MRI done and saw ENT specialist and all is normal. Blood work is normal . And not re-reading my notes I see that I was dizzy in October too. I also had a stressful week last week and stopped meditation and exercising so maybe it added to this . And my period is coming like yesterday . So maybe a combination . It is so hard to function I am just looking for solution . I also didn't think about vibryid at all. But maybe some of it can be caused by that medication as well . But I think mostly lexapro as I was on it for so long

I will reassess after the holidays will try to stick it out a bit longer

Hope you are doing well and thank you again for your input

Sorry you are still struggling Julz and Blondiee! The fatigue is my worst symptom by far!! Sometimes I'm so lethargic my body feels like it's full of bricks. I seriously think people think I'm lazy because of all the laying around, but I'm not! I'm just exhausted!!  :lol:  I was full of energy before. I'm definitely sleeping too. I know some people are tired because of insomnia, but that's not the case for me. I just wake up everyday feeling like I never went to bed. Hoping that it's just one of those symptoms that slow to go, but eventually does with time!  :)

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

Symptoms as of 4/19/17- A little burning skin, muscle pain, FATIGUE, some brain fog, tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints, blurry vision, eye floaters, sciatica.

Symptoms as of 10/3/17- Physical symptoms-- Very little burning skin that comes and goes, some muscle and nerve pain that comes and goes, tremor in pinky and ring finger, muscle twitches, cortisol spike in the morning(heart palpitations), cracking/popping joints all those this has gotten a little better lately, blurry vision and eye floaters that come and go, sciatica(less intense now), fatigue which is still very bad but better than a year ago. Mental symptoms-- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, lack of motivation or interest, brain fog(trouble focusing and concentrating), ruminating thoughts. All these come and go. 

Sorry you are still struggling Julz and Blondiee! The fatigue is my worst symptom by far!! Sometimes I'm so lethargic my body feels like it's full of bricks. I seriously think people think I'm lazy because of all the laying around, but I'm not! I'm just exhausted!!  :lol:  I was full of energy before. I'm definitely sleeping too. I know some people are tired because of insomnia, but that's not the case for me. I just wake up everyday feeling like I never went to bed. Hoping that it's just one of those symptoms that slow to go, but eventually does with time!  :)

Hi Chicago!

Thanks for stopping by :) yes fatigue sucks for sure. I don't even know how to describe it just heavy body ready to collapse on the sofa and stay there . And I also hope it does go away soon . I love your positive outlook and determination. I work so hard to be positive and just accept it, it is work for sure. Hardest thing for me besides struggling with symptoms is to be able to do things with friends.

I went out yesterday and had to wait in line to get in the restaraunt where I was meeting a few friends . I started feeling so dizzy detached and almost like floating or something. It is weird because my breathing is fine and I am not sweating. I wanted to run away but instead just went with it . It ended up being okay but I still was very self conscious about the place and what if something happens to me . I am thinking maybe dizziness is related to anxiety as well as WD. I am going back to meditation and light exercise . Oh and I had a few sips of beer and feel hang over

Few thoughts:

1). Does WD mess up with menstrual cycle ? I don't know if I should be concerned or not. I noticed that instead of having my period for 5-6 days I get them for 3 -4 days with day 2 being very heavy. I also read that Luvox can cause excessive period bleeding not sure if I should be worried .

2). Is it unusual not to differentiate between the symptoms ? For instance I am feeling dizzy constantly and also tired (very tired) and then anxious and I feel like I have a brain fog too. This morning I could not even figure out what is going on am I dizzy or I am tired and it is causing the dizziness or maybe this is depression or anxiety ? So strange . It is like the symptoms are all blurred together . The biggest concern is that I am very fatigued and hope and pray it will lift soon . Just a general heavy body feeling and it takes tremendous effort to get anything done . I am pushing through

3). I was late taking my Luvox . I take it around 9-10 mp and on Saturday night I forgot to take it and ended up taking it at 11 am on Sunday . Maybe this is adding to the trouble

4). I was prescribed meclizine for my vertigo and dizziness episodes . Does anyone have any experience in taking this to lessen the anxiety/ WD associated dizziness

Overall the last few days are being difficult for me . Hoping for a Window

Hi Blondiee:

I'm sorry you aren't feeling any better.

I can't answer any of the menstrual questions, I've had a hysterectomy.

I do know that meclizine does make me very tired. I'm not sure about the anxiety because I take Xanax.

Someone better at answering your questions will come along.

I just wanted to stop by and see if you were better. I'm still nauseous. Fun , fun, isn't it? :(

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Blondiee, 

Sorry to hear you are struggling with this.  Rest assured that all of what you are describing is "normal" -- but only in the world of withdrawal!

My more specific thoughts below.

1). Does WD mess up with menstrual cycle ? I don't know if I should be concerned or not. I noticed that instead of having my period for 5-6 days I get them for 3 -4 days with day 2 being very heavy. I also read that Luvox can cause excessive period bleeding not sure if I should be worried .

While I can't speak from first-hand experience, I have read numerous things about the impact of withdrawal on female cycles.  Given the strong impact of the meds on hormones and the body's endocrine system generally, it would be hard to imagine that the drugs (and withdrawing from the drugs) would NOT affect the menstrual cycle.  I would never advise someone not to check things out with their doctor to make sure nothing else is going on, but I think this is a withdrawal symptom.

2). Is it unusual not to differentiate between the symptoms ? For instance I am feeling dizzy constantly and also tired (very tired) and then anxious and I feel like I have a brain fog too. This morning I could not even figure out what is going on am I dizzy or I am tired and it is causing the dizziness or maybe this is depression or anxiety ? So strange . It is like the symptoms are all blurred together . The biggest concern is that I am very fatigued and hope and pray it will lift soon . Just a general heavy body feeling and it takes tremendous effort to get anything done . I am pushing through

Good timing on this question (at least as it relates to some of my recent research and reading.  This resonates very much with me.  It can be condensed into a general sense of "not feeling well".  This is a function of the fact that withdrawal throws your autonomic nervous system into complete disarray.  Read the following on this subject and you will develop a greater understanding of why you feel the way you do and the fact that it is hard to distinguish which of the myriad symptoms is really causing you to feel crappy.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2015/04/23/general-feeling-disorder/

https://beyondmeds.com/2013/07/24/ans-and-interaction/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/392-one-theory-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

3). I was late taking my Luvox . I take it around 9-10 mp and on Saturday night I forgot to take it and ended up taking it at 11 am on Sunday . Maybe this is adding to the trouble

Could be.  We strongly advocate for consistency in dosing as a means of keeping the nervous system more stable.

4). I was prescribed meclizine for my vertigo and dizziness episodes . Does anyone have any experience in taking this to lessen the anxiety/ WD associated dizziness

Meclizine works by diminishing the effect of the vestibular system in the body.  So, if your dizziness comes from a vestibular problem, meclizine may provide some help. This is similar to the help a benzo provides for dizziness.   Since withdrawal from the meds is typically a systemic issue and not a vestibular one it is unlikely that it will provide a great degree of help.  It may make you more tired so that you can relax which might provide some help, but I don't know that the trade-off of having another drug in the system is worth it unless it provides HUGE benefit.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Overall the last few days are being difficult for me . Hoping for a Window

Hi Blondie,

Thanks for your kind words on my thread! It really made my day. 

It sounds like you're going through a rough few days. 

I have actually been in a very similar situation! I'm over here like an elementary school kid raising their hand for the teacher to call on her. "Me! Me!!!" lol

1. Withdrawal has made my hormones just awful. The most concerning is that I become suicidal for 1-3 days with each cycle. This started on a dime with withdrawal, and so I have to remind myself that that is what it is. (I also have safety plans in place and people I can contact when I'm in that situation.)

I did get some tests with my ob-gyn, even ultrasounds, and while the periods are extremely problematic, there is nothing more serious wrong. 

2. Missing/skipping a dose -- in my confusion and brain fog last year, I did this twice, and oh, man, it was just absolutely awful. For me it caused dp/dr every day for weeks. (I don't want to scare you--this is what happened to me.) So I can certainly sympathize with missing a dose! Especially at lower doses, this stuff is very non-forgiving. 

Hang in there, Blondie. You are strong and doing a great job hanging in there. <3 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Thank you Frogie, apace41, and SkyBlue for your insights much appreciated

Towards the end of the day yesterday I was feeling semi less dizzy and and less fatigued . I went to bed at 10 pm I woke up at 8 and then had to go back to bed for another hour and be late for work because I was so exhausted . I don't remember how I made it to the office and even if I closed my house door. I am so tired and out of it . Can this be WD normal too? I cannot risk to loose my job but it was so scary driving in today and even now sitting here trying to work when I am so out of it this . I was even thinking getting a sleep study done maybe I have narcolepsy or go see a chronic fatigue specialist

• Moderator Emeritus

Can this be WD normal too?

I was even thinking getting a sleep study done maybe I have narcolepsy or go see a chronic fatigue specialist

Yes.  It can definitely be part of your withdrawal.  There are a lot of stories of people who need to sleep 10-12 hours a day to get through their withdrawal (and that doesn't even consider the meclizine which makes people very tired generally).  Then there are others who can't sleep.  

I would certainly not run to do a sleep study unless and until this kept up for an extended period of time.  Given the withdrawal as the most obvious trigger for this, the odds of it being narcolepsy or another sleep ailment are not great in my view.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Can this be WD normal too?

I was even thinking getting a sleep study done maybe I have narcolepsy or go see a chronic fatigue specialist

Yes.  It can definitely be part of your withdrawal.  There are a lot of stories of people who need to sleep 10-12 hours a day to get through their withdrawal (and that doesn't even consider the meclizine which makes people very tired generally).  Then there are others who can't sleep.  

I would certainly not run to do a sleep study unless and until this kept up for an extended period of time.  Given the withdrawal as the most obvious trigger for this, the odds of it being narcolepsy or another sleep ailment are not great in my view.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for that insight . When I feel this tired it truly freaks me out. I forget to be rational and my mind jumps to there is something wrong with me and WD can not possible cause this . I am going to try to go to bed early and make sure to get 9 hours plus of sleep if possible. I also don't want to go up on my Luvox, I might have to though if this continues. Maybe it will help who knows. I am going to give it a few days and see how that goes .

Thank you again Andy. Really appreciated . Hope you are starting to feel better I know you mentioned being in a wave .

• Moderator Emeritus

When I feel this tired it truly freaks me out. I forget to be rational and my mind jumps to there is something wrong with me and WD can not possible cause this .

Just so you are clear Blondiee, that pattern of thinking is not you forgetting to be rational -- it is in and of itself another aspect of withdrawal.  MANY of the people on this board suffer from the doubt that goes along with this whole process.  The idea is so contrary to how most of us in the Western world were raised -- where we were taught "better living through medication" -- that the idea that something that was supposed to help is harming so deeply in antithetical to us.  Thus, we refuse on some level to believe it is the medicine which instead turns us to Dr. Google and that spiral continues into full-blown health anxiety or hypochondria for many.  If I sound like I may be speaking from experience, well... draw your own conclusion (or read my thread).   :P

Hope you are starting to feel better I know you mentioned being in a wave .

Thank you for your kind thoughts.  It's still a struggle of late but I'm trying to work my way through it.

Best,

Andy

Andy - you described this perfectly ! Exactly how I feel . I believe in the process but there is this part of me that questions everything when things go south particularly since I was a believer in medicine and trust the doctors. I was a compliant patient. I am in no way saying that all doctors are bad . Whenever I went to see my shrink and told her my symptoms she always responded with this is your anxiety. That's it nothing else . So I believed . When it fact I was struggling with WD and side effects when she switched me every few months from one med to another .

I tried looking for your blog but I can't find it :| I would like to read your story.

When I feel this tired it truly freaks me out. I forget to be rational and my mind jumps to there is something wrong with me and WD can not possible cause this .

Just so you are clear Blondiee, that pattern of thinking is not you forgetting to be rational -- it is in and of itself another aspect of withdrawal.  MANY of the people on this board suffer from the doubt that goes along with this whole process.  The idea is so contrary to how most of us in the Western world were raised -- where we were taught "better living through medication" -- that the idea that something that was supposed to help is harming so deeply in antithetical to us.  Thus, we refuse on some level to believe it is the medicine which instead turns us to Dr. Google and that spiral continues into full-blown health anxiety or hypochondria for many.  If I sound like I may be speaking from experience, well... draw your own conclusion (or read my thread).   :P

Hope you are starting to feel better I know you mentioned being in a wave .

Thank you for your kind thoughts.  It's still a struggle of late but I'm trying to work my way through it.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy - Yeah, we have had it drilled into us here in America that you just do what the doctor says. Heck, we have commercials pushing medications! And if it's government/FDA-approved, well then it must be good and true, despite the laundry list of possible side-effects.

And then there's books like Listening to Prozac... I had resisted going on medication despite my therapist's recommendation, but then I read that book and it convinced me that it was a good thing to do. Sucker! Of course, I only have myself to blame, ultimately. The book did mention that the meds were supposed to be the "grit" beneath the tires to help you get traction. But as I went down the rabbit-hole, I listened to the psychiatrist and just kept upping doses and adding combo meds, and 18 years later... well, here I am in the midst of withdrawal.

I truly hope you find peace in the midst of your current struggle.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Andy - you described this perfectly ! Exactly how I feel . I believe in the process but there is this part of me that questions everything when things go south particularly since I was a believer in medicine and trust the doctors. I was a compliant patient. I am in no way saying that all doctors are bad . Whenever I went to see my shrink and told her my symptoms she always responded with this is your anxiety. That's it nothing else . So I believed . When it fact I was struggling with WD and side effects when she switched me every few months from one med to another .

I tried looking for your blog but I can't find it :| I would like to read your story.

I think many of us were compliant patients. There just wasn't anything out there to indicate we should be otherwise. Well, I guess unless we did the "Dr. Google" thing. Which unfortunately it appears we did not do until we were getting off of the drugs and hit withdrawal.

Stay connected - here and to yourself, Blondiee! We are going to make it through!

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

I love tv commercials when they play this sweet music and show the lady planting flowers smiling and laughing and somewhere in the background you hear side effects ..include nausea headache suicidal thoughts and so on ...

I love tv commercials when they play this sweet music and show the lady planting flowers smiling and laughing and somewhere in the background you hear side effects ..include nausea headache suicidal thoughts and so on ...

"If your left arm falls off, this could be a sign that the medication is working... Check with your doctor..."

• Moderator Emeritus

I think many of us were compliant patients. There just wasn't anything out there to indicate we should be otherwise. Well, I guess unless we did the "Dr. Google" thing. Which 

I know in many cases (mine included) people were given the meds prior to the internet era (which generally took hold sometime in the 90s, depending on how sophisticated you were).  There was no Dr. Google.  Would it have been possible to check into it further on the internet somewhere along the way?  Of course, but (i) the damage was largely done and (ii) there was no groundswell around the problems with the meds.  

I think it is important to avoid the self-blame narrative that goes along with being stuck in this predicament.  That only serves to make things worse and reduce ones sense of self.

Best,

Andy

Best,

Andy

Yes, self-blame is just an evil negative emotion that has no place in the case of AWS. I do occasionally find myself saying "this was done to me" - which is a form of blaming the doctors involved as well as the pharmaceutical industry (which we now know hid many of the facts about these drugs from the FDA, who make doing that so easy by allowing them to submit only the data they want). But really, that is all just more useless blame. Better to live in the solution - sites like this, being kind to one's self, taking care of your body with good diet and exercise, and prayer/meditation.

Hi everyone I have another question which I hope someone can help me with -

I am not sure what this symptom is and what it relates to but I feel very strange. Like when I am walking outside everything feels big and spaces that are too open are overwhelming. I feel almost detached and not present. I do not know if this is related to anxiety or depression or has another name . Does anyone know what I am referring to? I am not sure how I can deal with it . I feel like if I know what this is I might be able to cope with it better . For instance I took my dog for a walk and I am walking on this wide street and it just feels too much to me and the further I get from my house the more concerned I get . I do not have typical anxiety signs like racing heart sweating etc my symptoms more of feeling of not being present like detached everything too big and fearful I feel like my vision is blurry and sometimes the sun is too much but when it is gloomy I feel even worse . I am noticing it getting worse . Anything I can do and what is this ? Depression anxiety or WD or all of the above ?

I also wanted to wish everyone who is celebrating a happy Easter ❤️

Everyone's support and suggestions mean so much . I feel like this is the only place that understands what I am going through and is helping me to heal and stay away from SSRI and bekng SSRI free is possible

Thank you

B

• Moderator Emeritus

Not sure which one it is but there is this:  agoraphobia and derealization-or-depersonalization and overstimulation-and-increased-sensitivity-to-light-sound-etc

I agree that knowing what it is helps.  It takes away the fear factor.  Whichever one it is I think we can fairly surely say that it is withdrawal related.

And Happy Easter to you too!

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hey Blondiee. Just stopping by to say hi. Hope you're coping well.

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN

Hi Blondiee,

It sounds you are having derealization. I have been having it ever since the drug reaction caused by updose lex. It's horrible state to be in.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi Blondie!!

What you describe sounds like something I experience too!! This "too much"... For me, it is not as intense as derealisation but definitely sensory over-stimulation. The cloudy sky is too bright and vast, buildings too big, people move too fast... when I go to a store I am not used to, there are just too many "things" everywhere... sometimes it even feels as if those things are creeping up on me... I know, weird eh?

What seems to help a little when in a crowded/busy/saturated space is to focus my gaze and attention on where I am going, nothing will bad will happen, it is just a lot for our brains to process at the minute. 

...and it seems to be worse when I am fatigued.

I know it is not fun but it helps me to notice it, be mindful without associating myself with it: "ah here is the sensory overload, a sign that you're healing" (yes, I speak to myself - not generally out loud though LOL!) and symptoms are not harmful - you are ok, no matter how bizarre it may feel, you are ok!! I obviously hope you get less of this symptom, but when/if it happens, try to be mindful of it (you are not your symptoms).

I also wanted to tell you that I have thought about narcolepsy as well... withdrawal fatigue is like nothing I can describe, and of course being able to fall asleep so easily... it feels "abnormal"... cue the self-talk with part of me still thinking that surely there has to be something else as pills are not supposed to be harmful etc... so I can pretty much relate!!

I am writing with quite a bit of brain fog so not at the best of my abilities just now!! Just love Andy's post!!

Wishing you and everyone a Happy Easter!!

Julz xxx 

2004: Anorexia & Depression -> polydrugged as a result  :wacko:

- Venlafaxine(MR): 75mg

- Escitalopram: 60mg ...
- Diazepam: 10mg bedtime prescribed, no c/o
- Clonazepam: 4mg
2010: New Life in the UK - psychologically much better
GP wants to lower Escitalopram (side effects on heart) -> 2011 to 2014: come down from 60 to 15mg in 5mg steps (I had no idea) - January 2014: after dropping from 20mg to 15mg Esc. plagued with debilitating exhaustion... December 2014: I decide to taper off Benzos... and everything else.
29 May 2017: Drug Free after 13 years!! 
Varied balanced diet, no processed/refined foods. Plenty water. Yoga & Mindfulness.
  • Mentor

this has happened to me too, Blondie, and in fact, I think you are describing several different but similar symptoms of withdrawal

I think Patricia has a good description of it in her thread, I'm going to go try to find it.

here is is, PatriciaVP wrote: 

Today began as usual. Awake with the rising sun. Anxious with pointless thoughts racing through my head like cars on a track to nowhere. Suddenly I realized it all made sense. After 15 years going through life in semi-slumber my brain has no idea how to be awake without being hyper alert. It has to somehow relearn that.

I believe it can, but it won't be easy. Time and acceptance are the only things that can get me there. I will continue to overshoot optimal alertness to the point of near panic every morning and I have to learn to accept that until the day it is no more.

Until that day I will continue to grow and learn finding peace moment by moment.

I think she hit the nail on the head here, with the hyper alertness. While I was on the full dose of lexapro, I was in my own little world, inside my own head most of the time. things outside of myself barely existed, I was not aware of them hardly at all.

NOW, as I go thru WD,  the world is opening back up to me, but my brain has to re learn what to pay attention to, and what is not relevant and can be ignored. It's very much like a re birth- a baby has to learn, once outside the womb, what sounds to listen to/for and which ones are not relevant and can be ignored, just as an example. They quickly learn to listen for human voices and to not pat much attention to say, the hum of the refrigerator.

we are going thru something similar. It's very disconcerting and can feel alarming and unpleasant, but it means our brain is working on opening up to more awareness and trying to re learn what to pay attention to and what to ignore.

I notice this a lot when I am on the bus, I will be able to see the mountains off in the distance, etc, that I never noticed before, and it makes me feel exposed and tiny in this HUGE huge world. I don't like it. I imagine at some point, however, that I will feel differently about living in a place where I have this "great view". But right now, I want to just close my eyes and shut off my mind to it all, it feels like too much.

so I definitely can relate.

It could also be de realization, however, when you have that, things don't just look big and you're more aware of them, they look plastic or warped in some way, not at all real.

I have had both. The plastic way that things looked, that was so scary! this is almost as scary, this hyper alertness and awareness, but not as unpleasant cuz at least things look realistic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also have found that sometimes there doesn't seem to be enough light and it's very gloomy and disturbing; other times,I'm overwhelmed by it and it hurts my eyes and my head

Def WD symptoms. It means that your brain is re wiring that part of itself that deals with visual stuff. it's in the "what is happening in your brain" thread, did you read that?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10914-what-is-happening-in-your-brain/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the detached feeling, I get that too. I don't know what part of the brain is being worked on, that causes this particular symptom but I am sure it's a WD thing.

I sometimes feel like I"m not connected to my body at all, and for me, I have to try to figure out if  it's dissociation due to PTSD triggers or if it's WD dissociation.

daydreaming is a form of disconnection that is common and normal.

when I feel disconnected from my own body, I try to do a body scan meditation to try to re connect

when I feel disconnected from the rest of the world, sometimes I just try to enjoy it as a nice break from all the stress of the world. but it can still feel icky.

I would guess that soon, you will find yourself in a more healed place, as it sounds like your brain is actively working on healing different areas and chemicals to get them back to normal!! this is good news, even though of course it feels crappy.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

I can so relate right now, Blondiee. And that quote from PatriciaVP is right on. But right now, I am just a huge shakey ball of anxiety and physical symptoms. I am at my wife's family for Easter. HUGE family, loud family. Festive family. And I love them all. And Easter is my favorite holiday. And all I want to do is get in the car and race home. I even brought my own car just in case I do need to escape. My wife understands. But I just got here!