If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Blondiee1915: 3 months off lexapro does it get better ?

Lexapro anxiety fatigue escitalopram

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#361 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

oh wow thank you everyone for all the responses.  means alot <3 

ChessieCat - I will check out those links.  I think it is a combination of the 3 - agoraphobia, DP/DR, and sensitivity to light/sound.  I was reading online how the best thing to do for derealization is to meditate and do yoga and with time it should pass.  It is comforting to know it is not dangerous and not harmful in any way.  

LexAnger - I am sorry you are dealing with this as well.  You are right it is horrible.  I sure hope it will pass soon for both of us.  

Hi Alice1 - I am doing okay. A bit worse for the past few days, but hanging in there.  Pretty bad fatigue, dizziness, and now this weird realization/agoraphobia constant feeling which is overwhelming and scary at times.  I do think it is triggered by stress so I am going to work on some stress reduction.  I will stop by your thread to see you are.

Julz82 - Happy Easter to you too! You described my symptoms exactly.  The over stimulation, things being too bright or weird and the fatigue def makes it worse.  You are right knowing it is not harmful is helpful.  I think when those feelings increased for me I immediately assumed I am getting worse and this is a sign of not healing but of "there is something wrong with me".  I remember in one of the therapy session I was given advice to focus attention on something present and try to be in the moment.  I guess more of get our of your head kind of thing.  So if there is a painting in the room focus on that instead go in your head with what is wrong with me.  Oye really hope this will get better.  So glad you stopped by :) Hopefully you are doing okay 

Catnapt - thank you so much for such a thoughtful insight.  I actually thought that by feeling these things it means I am not improving but going into the rabbit hole. It did not even appear to me that by feeling these things my brain is actually working and figuring out how to function without the meds.  This is much better and gives me more strength and acceptance and peace of mind.  You are describing exactly what I feel.  Like walking to the park and the trees are big and wow so green and it is overwhelming.  But it does make sense though.  I was on lexapro 20 mg for a steady few years and I was numb.  I did not really cry and I did not really laugh.  Just on auto pilot.  I remember talking with friends and trying to laugh as hard as they are on some jokes or stories but it was so unnatural.  Everything was faded and just there.  Few nights ago I was talking to my dad and he told me a joke and I was laughing so hard.  I almost cried because it felt so good to just laugh and not to force it.  It felt amazing.  Sorry I am all over the place.  

I did not read that thread and I will for sure.  I love the way you write Catnapt.  Oh and I am going to look up those body scanning meditations.  Thank you so much for caring <3

ShakeyJerr - you will be okay!  It is just anxiety.  What helped me with those situations which I learnt in CBT was to think of it in a logical way/doing this CBT exercise.  I have to find this CBT worksheet paper and share it on here maybe it will be helpful for someone.  Basically you start with a fear statement such as "I am afraid I will pass out while driving" and then you say ok what are the chances of this happening? and you list bullet points such as I feel anxious and breathless and my heart beats and I feel like I will faint.  On the other side you list the reasons why it will not happen such as "I felt like this before a million times and it never happened", another point "I had a physical done and there is nothing physically wrong with me"  and another bullet point" noone ever fainted from a panic attack" and so on.  So you look at both of these possibilities of happening of this fearful event and not and realize that the there will be more bulled points on the "this will not happen" list.  Also, the reasons for a fearful event happening or not need to be logical/rational.  The final step of the exercise is to imagine the event actually happening. You imagine it and then list how you will cope.  For instance.  You will pass out while driving. But then the cars will stop and someone will dial 911.  You will get the help from the ambulance and you will be okay.  The more of these exercises you do the more you train your brain to thing differently.  Anxiety is fear of the future event so when we get to the point of omg I cannot let this happen we do not think about it happening we are going into fear mode and do whatever we can to prevent it from happening.  But when you accept and imagine it is happening the fear kind of fades.  Not sure if this is helpful but thought I'd mention.  And I hope it makes sense as I am a bit out of it 

B.

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop.  Most lasted 3 months, was forced to reinstate due to severe symptoms 
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other medications: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil (each med about 2-4 months).  
  • MOI Nardil  2014 - 2015
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 

Started to withdraw from Vibryiid around mid -June'16 with last dose in in July. Felt pretty good for the whole summer. Some anxiety, dizziness, short fuse, some weakness but okay overall. Comes October - dizziness, spinning, off balance feeling, FATIGUE, anxiety, fear, racing thoughts, insomnia, DP/DR

Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, then increased to 5 mg  Some relief, sleep better, severe DP/DR decreased.  Still very anxious, exhausted, dizzy. 

Switched 12/26/16 Luvox 50 mg (25 mg am and 25 mg pm).  Dizziness, exhaustion, anxiety, DP/DR

1/13/17 switched to one dose of Luvox 50 mg before bed.  EXHAUSTED, dizzy, weakness, off balance, anxiety, DP/DR

1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM.  Main symptoms: FATIGUE, dizziness, DP/DR, anxiety 

Supplements: iron, fish oil, vitamin D, methyl folate, Mitochondiral NRG (for fatigue)

#362 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

That does help, B!

But in the case of my anxiety lately, it's the darn physical pain that comes along with it that is getting too much to bear. My arms hurt, my feet tingle, I get a little light-headed, and oh, the tremors! But the bullet-point method will definitely be helpful for the emotional side.

Dates are tentative (my memory is shot)...

Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003 (I don't remember the dosages). Went off but developed symptoms so put back on after 4 months.

Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) some time in 2010 (I think). Did a self-taper during 2016 after losing insurance. Been off since around the beginning of 2017.

Developed Discontinuation Syndrome beginning with uncontrolled/unexplained crying in 02/17.

Moved on to full-blow symptoms from there. Been really bad since late 03/17.

#363 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

I need to purchase some empty capsules . Is there a special kind I should get does anyone know ? I checked Amazon and they have some vegetarian ones . Just want to make sure I get the right kind
  • Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop.  Most lasted 3 months, was forced to reinstate due to severe symptoms 
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other medications: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil (each med about 2-4 months).  

Started to withdraw from Vibryiid around mid -June'16 with last dose in in July. Felt pretty good for the whole summer. Some anxiety, dizziness, short fuse, some weakness but okay overall. Comes October - dizziness, spinning, off balance feeling, FATIGUE, anxiety, fear, racing thoughts, insomnia, DP/DR

Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, then increased to 5 mg  Some relief, sleep better, severe DP/DR decreased.  Still very anxious, exhausted, dizzy. 

Switched 12/26/16 Luvox 50 mg (25 mg am and 25 mg pm).  Dizziness, exhaustion, anxiety, DP/DR

1/13/17 switched to one dose of Luvox 50 mg before bed.  EXHAUSTED, dizzy, weakness, off balance, anxiety, DP/DR

Supplements: iron, fish oil, vitamin D, methyl folate, Mitochondiral NRG (for fatigue)

#364 SkyBlue

SkyBlue

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, U.S.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

Hi Blondiee, just checking in to see how you are doing.

There was a post of yours recently that I wanted to respond to and now I can't find it! It was along the lines of anxiety: what's "normal" and that also you had been feeling pretty optimistic. I think that was what it said! In any case I hope you are feeling okay. 

As far as capsules I would think any kind would be all right. Hopefully someone using capsules will chime in. 

<3 <<<<< hugs >>>>>

Long story short: After 18 years on Paxil, "tapered" in July 2015 from 20 to 10 to 5 mg in a month, at doctor's advice. = Essentially a cold-turkey.

*Current*: March: 0.82 mg Paxil. Jan 1:  .88 mg, baby!! …. August 31: Less than 1mg Paxil! ... July 30: 1 mg Paxil! ! ! And 100 mg Zoloft unfortunately!!  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Paxil since 1996--anxiety & depression likely caused by (then-undiagnosed) under-eating / eating disorder. 

Rapid "taper" July 2015 and started Zoloft as a "cross-taper". Feb 2016: Found SA!! As of June 2016: Doing 2% cuts (Brassmonkey Slide!). 

Now: fish oil, magnesium; protein; exercise; healthy fats; acupuncture, meditation, & a new doctor.  I am in recovery from an eating disorder!!!  ***Have you had a sleep study?***    *Feel free to message me if I don't respond to a forum thread.* 

#365 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hi SkyBlue ! So glad to hear from you . I am okay . I started doing yoga every day this week and I feel a bit optimistic and determined. Fatigue is pretty bad but I make an effort to go to bed at 9.30 pm and get 8-9 hours of sleep minimum . Glad tomorrow is Friday so I can rest up this weekend as past weekend was very stressful for me.

I realized today that 2 of my symptoms are gone ! One being cold feed and hands and the other feet and hands cramping at night. I totally forgot how much it sucked. Even though these are minor symptoms I am happy they are gone and it makes me believe even more in the process . Still concerned about fatigue but taking it a day at the time .

Thank you for the capsule recommendation

Hope you are doing well my friend

Hugs
B

#366 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:17 AM

hi Blondie, just popping in to see how you're doing. Isn't it great when you realize some symptoms are gone?
:)

as far as capsules go,I always choose the vegetarian or vegan option, but that's just me. I don't know if it makes a lot of difference to most ppl

Maybe try googling capsule ingredients effects on absorption or something like that..?

1974-2002 many psych meds, all types; longest used drugs include lithium, seroquel, SSRI's zoloft & celexa; many CT's off drugs

2002-2015 on varying doses of lexapro, as  high as 40 mgs, but usually 20mgs

June 2015: tapered too fast to 2.5mgs, then to 2.5mgs every other day Dec 2015:  found SA forum; holding at 2.5mgs 

Early May 2016: jumped off at 2.5mgs, not smart- crashed in late Sept.

Oct 26 2016  reinstated liquid lexapro 0.05ml/day at night, dose +/- til settling on 0.15BID (0.3/day)= windows and waves

Jan 8, 2017 too quick switch to single dose in the morning, 0.3mgs (bad mistake, led to a crash)

Jan 12 added low dose zyprexa for SI, took infrequently as rescue med, last dose Feb.15

Jan 26 lexapro 0.27mg Feb 25 lexapro updose back to 0.3mg due to unrelenting severe insomnia

March 1 insomnia worse, back down to 0.29 for one day, then 0.27, then 0.25- improving!! March 17 0.24  April 7 0.21

March 7 added low dose lamictal, adjusting dose based on response (currently ~18mgs)

Supplements: Magnesium taurate 250mg, chromium, pro-biotic, biotin, glycine 2grams PM, 1 gram AM 

#367 Julz82

Julz82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Hi Blondie!!

I am delighted to read that the cold hands and feet symptom has left you!! Waw this is wonderful!! 

Thank you for your inspirational writing!! Through withdrawal we have to speak to ourselves, reassure ourselves, and there are good CBT techniques to stop thoughts from spiralling out of control.

I am also delighted that you have started yoga! Many people find it helpful for all the right reasons. A year ago I got "hooked" and started practising every day with youtube, it lasted for a good while and saw progress with lots of fun poses... now I need my yoga mojo back lol... thank you for the encouragement you probably didn't even know you were spreading!!  :D

Healing Hugs!!

Julz xxx

2004: Anorexia & Depression -> polydrugged as a result  :wacko:
- Venlafaxine(MR): 75mg
- Escitalopram: 60mg ...
- Diazepam: 10mg bedtime prescribed, no c/o
- Clonazepam: 4mg

2010: New Life in the UK - psychologically much better
GP wants to lower Escitalopram (side effects on heart) -> 2011 to 2014: come down from 60 to 15mg in 5mg steps (I had no idea)
January 2014: (after dropping from 20mg to 15mg Esc.: withdrawal symptoms seem to disappear) but plagued with exhaustion ever since - "Excessive Daytime Sleepiness" rather than CFS type (??)

December 2014: I decide to taper off Benzos...

March 2017 update:
- Venlafaxine(MR):  75 mg      (no change) 
- Escitalopram:       0              (tapered last 15mg Nov-Feb 2017 - feeling OK)
- Diazepam:             7 mg       (tapered from 10 mg August 2016)
- Clonazepam:         0.2 mg   (actively tapering, daily dry micro-taper) 

No longer anorexic nor depressed, but apathetic/flat and exhausted (excessive daytime sleepiness).

Varied balanced diet, no processed/refined foods. Plenty water. Yoga & Mindfulness.
Multivitamins - B and C supplements - D3 55 micrograms Magnesium Citrate: 400mg  Have stopped supplements for now

#368 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

hi Blondie, just popping in to see how you're doing. Isn't it great when you realize some symptoms are gone?
:)

as far as capsules go,I always choose the vegetarian or vegan option, but that's just me. I don't know if it makes a lot of difference to most ppl
Maybe try googling capsule ingredients effects on absorption or something like that..?

Hi Catnapt! Glad to hear from you . Oh yes it is very nice :) I was like oh wow I don't have to be awaken by these terrible feet and hand cramps in the middle of the night when did that disappear ? :)) I will take any progress at this point . Thank you for the capsule recommendation I found some on Amazon and ordered today. i also got a micro scale I feel like some of the beads vary in size and I might be over sensitive or overthinking this but I want to make sure I get the same dosage each day. Will see how that goes .

Hope you are doing well !
B

#369 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

Hi Blondie!!

I am delighted to read that the cold hands and feet symptom has left you!! Waw this is wonderful!! 

Thank you for your inspirational writing!! Through withdrawal we have to speak to ourselves, reassure ourselves, and there are good CBT techniques to stop thoughts from spiralling out of control.

I am also delighted that you have started yoga! Many people find it helpful for all the right reasons. A year ago I got "hooked" and started practising every day with youtube, it lasted for a good while and saw progress with lots of fun poses... now I need my yoga mojo back lol... thank you for the encouragement you probably didn't even know you were spreading!!  :D

Healing Hugs!!
Julz xxx

Hi Julz !
Glad to hear from you :) hope you are doing well. I will stop by your thread later. Thank you for the cheering up for me . is nice they are gone for sure . I just hope my fatigue lifts soon . Even a little bit . This week was a struggle but i am hanging in there . Just making sure I go to bed like a baby at 9-9.30 pm. I sound like a broken record about this fatigue lol

Oh yes yoga is nice . I know exactly what you mean . I also practiced this summer at least twice a week and I loved it but then I stopped after WD hit me hard . But now I am getting back and every time I step on the mat I say to myself wow this feels so good why did I stop ?! It is just the laziness and the crappy feeling that prevents me but once I am on the mat I am good . I was practicing on Tuesday and it was so nice I was doing warrior two pose and just standing there breathing and my window was open and the sun shinning on my face felt so good . So yes def a plan to stick to yoga . It is actually one of the things that keeps quite my racing thoughts . I do vinyasa I guess I concentrate so much on the flow of poses that I forget about WD and my racing mind. Glad I encouraged you somewhat . Hope you will get back to it ! Hope you are doing well !

#370 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. Do you think I should be concerned about my blood pressure it was 85/57 today am . I typically run low like 90/60 . I don't remember if it was low before the meds . Could the meds cause this and is there anything I can do for this besides increase the salt intake ?

Had a stressful weekend. Feel floating dizzy weak and fatigued . It has been 3 months staying at 37.5 mg of Luvox . I am trying to hold at this level . I got Kelly Bregin book 'mind of your own' will start reading it this week

#371 JJ33

JJ33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. Do you think I should be concerned about my blood pressure it was 85/57 today am . I typically run low like 90/60 . I don't remember if it was low before the meds . Could the meds cause this and is there anything I can do for this besides increase the salt intake ?

Had a stressful weekend. Feel floating dizzy weak and fatigued . It has been 3 months staying at 37.5 mg of Luvox . I am trying to hold at this level . I got Kelly Bregin book 'mind of your own' will start reading it this week

Kelly Brogan is great.  You might try using Himalayan salt, she mentions it in the book.  I don't know of any connection between blood pressure and medications, sorry.  Perhaps the low pressure is more of a symptom that will take care of itself once the primary cause is corrected.  You might also check if your results are considered still in the acceptable range, even if just barely.  I've always had low blood pressure, and can get dizzy when standing up, but otherwise I think there are positives to it.

Been taking 2.5 mg/Lexapro and 2.5 mg/Abilify a day for past seven years.
September 2016 - down to 2 mg/Abilify a day.
October 2016 - 1 mg/Abilify a day, took a few months then stabilized.

February 2017 - .75 mg/Abilify a day.

April 2017 - too fast, back up to 1 mg/Abilify a day.

#372 Julz82

Julz82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:10 AM

Hi Blondie,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a stressful weekend and are feeling dizzy, weak and fatigued.

I've always had low BP on meds and as you know we share many other symptoms from being on the drugs and/or withdrawal... (90/60 as well). I don't know what the connexion is between fatigue/weakness and low BP - and body temperature...(?) ...I'm sure there is something there. 

*I don't think* 85/57 is anything to be concerned about but you might want to check that of course.

I'm not sure there is much to do for low BP, apart from the usual care through a healthy diet, exercise and rest of course... but do have a word with a pharmacist or even a physician to but your mind at ease!!

I hope things are a bit less stressful, take good care of yourself!

Julz x

2004: Anorexia & Depression -> polydrugged as a result  :wacko:
- Venlafaxine(MR): 75mg
- Escitalopram: 60mg ...
- Diazepam: 10mg bedtime prescribed, no c/o
- Clonazepam: 4mg

2010: New Life in the UK - psychologically much better
GP wants to lower Escitalopram (side effects on heart) -> 2011 to 2014: come down from 60 to 15mg in 5mg steps (I had no idea)
January 2014: (after dropping from 20mg to 15mg Esc.: withdrawal symptoms seem to disappear) but plagued with exhaustion ever since - "Excessive Daytime Sleepiness" rather than CFS type (??)

December 2014: I decide to taper off Benzos...

March 2017 update:
- Venlafaxine(MR):  75 mg      (no change) 
- Escitalopram:       0              (tapered last 15mg Nov-Feb 2017 - feeling OK)
- Diazepam:             7 mg       (tapered from 10 mg August 2016)
- Clonazepam:         0.2 mg   (actively tapering, daily dry micro-taper) 

No longer anorexic nor depressed, but apathetic/flat and exhausted (excessive daytime sleepiness).

Varied balanced diet, no processed/refined foods. Plenty water. Yoga & Mindfulness.
Multivitamins - B and C supplements - D3 55 micrograms Magnesium Citrate: 400mg  Have stopped supplements for now

#373 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

The fatigue has been so bad the last few days I am not sure what to think. My ability to function at work is greatly impaired and I am so worried . I am trying to be accepting and be gentle on myself but I fear I will lose my job and be homeless . I go to bed early 9/9.30 am and wake up at 7 for work and I am so drained and exhausted I worry If I should be driving on a highway. I know no one can tell me what to do but I honestly don't know what are my options . I don't want to increase Luvox but maybe I have to I am not sure . I was on 50 mg for about a month and still felt fatigued but now it is more intense so I am not sure . I drink plenty of water and try to stay positive but this exhaustion is so intense nothing seems to work . I was even looking in disability last night.

#374 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about, Blondiee. My anxiety has brought the same fears to my mind - especially when it comes to work and the future. All I can say is to try to breath and focus on healing. Your fatigue will pass. Find some good worship music and affirmations. Rest when you can. Try to be at peace.

I know these are just words right now. But take them in and let them speak to your spirit. You are loved and you are prayed for.

SJ

Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003 (I don't remember the dosages). Went off but developed symptoms so put back on after 4 months.

Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) some time in 2010 (I think). Did a self-taper during 2016 after losing insurance. Been off since around the beginning of 2017.

Developed Discontinuation Syndrome beginning with uncontrolled/unexplained crying in 02/17.

#375 JJ33

JJ33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

When I was at my worst someone suggested Olive Leaf capsules.  It helped pull me through.

We're rooting for you, sending you positive thoughts.

Been taking 2.5 mg/Lexapro and 2.5 mg/Abilify a day for past seven years.
September 2016 - down to 2 mg/Abilify a day.
October 2016 - 1 mg/Abilify a day, took a few months then stabilized.

February 2017 - .75 mg/Abilify a day.

April 2017 - too fast, back up to 1 mg/Abilify a day.

#376 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

When I was at my worst someone suggested Olive Leaf capsules.  It helped pull me through.

We're rooting for you, sending you positive thoughts.

Blondiee - Olive Leaf might not be a good choice for specifically. It has been known to lower blood pressure, and you already run low (I happen to remember you mentioning this once).

SJ

#377 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

ShakeyJerr & JJ33 - thank you very much for your support.  I really really appreciate it, I feel less alone.  I am trying to rest today and see what happens tomorrow.  I am not sure what is going on with my body and why this fatigue is so hard on me.  I pray I can pull through and see some light soon.  Going back to work tomorrow will see how it goes.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lexapro, anxiety, fatigue, escitalopram